View Full Version : good time in texas

LA9JL
12-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Can someone please help me with this. Do they give you good time now or is it all lost? Let me know what to do to help him get it back if so.

Mark2008
12-09-2008, 05:50 AM
I got good time when I was in the system. But that was when they had mandatory release, etc. As it turned out the "good time" didn't do me any good. It depends on the case and how it is classified. If someone has a 3G offense, they are not eligible to earn good time credit, IIRC.

It's possible the rules may have changed since the time I was inside.

soinlove07
12-17-2008, 03:03 PM
It's still the same. My Fiance has been in on a 3G offense since 1996 - NO good time. Thanks alot TDCJ!

Mark2008
12-18-2008, 01:58 AM
That's not a TDCJ issue. That's a state law. I remember how this stuff unfolded. There were a few high-profile cases of people getting out on mandatory release and committing new crimes, really bad ones. The public was outraged, but the parole board said (rightly) "hey, we can't do anything. when they're time is up, we are required to release them." The media jumped on the bandwagon and the legislature changed laws relating to mandatory release and good time credit.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on this. It paints too many inmates with a broad brush. But how do you explain someone getting out after serving 8-9 years on a 20-year sentence and then goes out and rapes and kills some teenage girl?

What the legislature COULD have done is do away with mandatory release, but give the parole board discretion to approve or deny parole on a case-by-case basis, without going so far as to require certain offenders to serve their entire sentences day-for-day.

glojo
01-30-2009, 09:10 AM
If you are non 3g then you earn good time, but if you lose it on a disciplinary issue(i.e. solitary plus 100 days goodtime when you go to your hearing) then its gone for good and that goodtime taken will not be restored. glojo

RobinsMan
02-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Technically, eveyone in the Texas prison system earns good time - even those with 3g offenses. TDCJ keeps track of it and it is reflected on each inmates timesheet. Good time in Texas counts only towards the calculation of an offenders Parole Eligiblity Date and Projected Release Date. It takes nothing off of their Maximum Sentence Date which remains fixed. What happens with 3g offenders is that the law specifies that the amount of time they must do before becoming eligible for parole doe snot include any good time they may have earned and so although they earn it the fact is moot since it is not figured into their PED calculation. 3g offenders are not eligible for the other form of early release, Mandatory Supervision, for which inmates become eligible on their Projected Release Date.