View Full Version : Free collect calls with magicjack!!!!!

miwin1000
12-13-2008, 11:44 PM
My brother just told me about this nifty little gadget called Magicjack (www magicjack com add the dots as this will not let me post the link) You pay $40 bucks and they send you this gizmo you plug into your computer and then a phone. I spoke with a customer service person and asked if I could accept collect calls. She said yes, and that there was no additional charge. It will cost you $20 a year for all the long distance you want, including collect calls. I bought one and paid $60 for a 5 year contract. I sure hope it works!!! they get great reception and my brother and I have talked on it several times. works great! it should work for collect calls from the prisons as well....why wouldn't it? If Vonage works, then this will too, but be way cheaper. Just thought I'd give y'all the heads up!

miss_my_baby
12-15-2008, 12:27 PM
this sounds interesting... thanks for the info. Do you need to have a land line subscription as well or does this work all on it's own? let us know if it works for collect calls!

ospennylane8105
12-15-2008, 03:07 PM
can you use it too for oversea collect calls or just for the states?

caprisonnews
12-15-2008, 06:46 PM
The advertising claims it can be used for international calls as well. PC Magazine also highly rated this solution, but the comments attached to the review are both highly complimentary and highly critical. One of the comments recommended double-checking with the BBB before purchasing. I'm glad I did:

Our file contains a pattern of complaints from consumers who allege they were offered a free thirty-day trial period for their product. After accepting the offer consumers’ allege funds were withdrawn from their account before the end of the free thirty-day trial period. Consumers also allege experiencing difficulty in contacting the company and receiving refunds. The company has responded to complaints by issuing a refund however they have failed to eliminate the underlying cause of consumer complaints. We have received a significant number of complaints against this company. In at least some cases, the complaint allegations are serious.:eek:

According to the BBB code of Advertising, the word "free" may be used in advertising whenever the advertiser is offering an unconditional gift. Consumers allege that after applying for the free trial, Magic Jack is immediately charging the customers accounts for the full purchase price. :mad:

On November 25, 2008 the BBB met with representatives of Magic Jack to discuss various options to eliminate the cause and pattern of complaints filed by consumers. After discussion with the BBB MagicJack agreed to modify their website to clarify the terms an conditions of their 30 Day Free Trial offer. The Bureau also received a commitment from Dan Borislow, the president of Magic Jack, to provide improved customer service and a more "user friendly" product. The BBB has agreed to place Magic Jack on an NR status pending an evaluation of the changes made by the company.

B's~Queen
12-19-2008, 06:52 PM
OMG.. really does this work.. thanks..

Brent's Babe
12-19-2008, 06:58 PM
My brother just told me about this nifty little gadget called Magicjack (www magicjack com add the dots as this will not let me post the link) You pay $40 bucks and they send you this gizmo you plug into your computer and then a phone. I spoke with a customer service person and asked if I could accept collect calls. She said yes, and that there was no additional charge. It will cost you $20 a year for all the long distance you want, including collect calls. I bought one and paid $60 for a 5 year contract. I sure hope it works!!! they get great reception and my brother and I have talked on it several times. works great! it should work for collect calls from the prisons as well....why wouldn't it? If Vonage works, then this will too, but be way cheaper. Just thought I'd give y'all the heads up!
I have one and yes you will save alot of money with the magic jack but collect calls from a prison aren't free. You still have to go thru GTL or whatever billing service you use. Thats the way it is in california anyway

miss_my_baby
12-19-2008, 07:21 PM
The website says this:

Due to the nature of the Free Trial Offer, this Free Trial is only available for Credit Card users. If you use a Debit Card, your Card will be charged right away, but you will still receive our 30 Day - no questions asked - Money Back Guarantee.

convict lover
12-19-2008, 07:23 PM
In cali there are no collect calls yet

Brent's Babe
12-20-2008, 01:34 AM
In cali there are no collect calls yet
uh yes there are. Everytime my man calls it is a collect call. You have to go thru GTL or depending on your home phone service it gets billed right on your home phone. So I really don't understand your statement:confused:

oldcolonymami
12-20-2008, 01:53 AM
I hate GTL. They are costly and when we talk, that damn recording comes on about 4 times during the conversation telling you the call is monitored and recorded- as if we did not believe it the first time it interrupted and took time off. In our state, they don't care how annoying that is and that it causes us to lose valuable time off the call. To me, calls are like little visits...I need every minute I can get with my husband. Because I need him.

My man has Double Life without Parole.

convict lover
12-20-2008, 01:59 AM
I asked majic jack you mean we can ya thanks

ST0RM
12-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Before I purchased my MagicJack I went to a customer rep ( you have to chat with them directly on the site because there is no number to call ) and I asked if collect calls were accepted. I was told yes. So I purchased the stupid thing because at the time my dad was incarcerated and I wanted to talk to him. When I got it I wrote him and gave him the number- all excited because we were finally bridging our gap... the recored message went thru (this phone does not accept collect calls. please hang up and try your call again!)... It may be helpful in a sense that you use their service and just get the collect service from a 3rd party- but the downfall is that you have to have high speed internet and you have to keep your computer on for the service to work...

NtShadow
12-28-2008, 06:18 AM
I was told that yes, they do accept collect calls, but not from prisons.

shorty769
12-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah My mother has one of those and it does accept collect calls just not from prison, you still have to go through like GTL or CBS, but it is cheaper a year I guess. That is what she tells me......