View Full Version : Obama's plans to help inmates,ex inmates

ant's wife
01-08-2009, 03:14 PM
so i've been going through different websites and putting together Obama's plans to help those affected someway by the prison system this is all i can find so far, i am trying to get ahold of someone either within his office (president elect Obama) or Joe Biden's to get a full discription on thier plans as soon as i hear back from someone, anyone i"ll relay the information to everyone else

OBAMA’S PLAN

Expand Use of Drug Courts: Obama will give first-time, non-violent offenders a chance to serve their sentence, where appropriate, in the type of drug rehabilitation programs that have proven to work better than a prison term in changing bad behavior.
Reduce Crime Recidivism by Providing Ex-Offender Support: Obama will provide job training, substance abuse and mental health counseling to ex-offenders, so that they are successfully re-integrated into society.
Eliminate Sentencing Disparities:The disparity between sentencing crack and powder-based cocaine is wrong and should be completely eliminated. (*******although this has been passed there are still men and woman who won't recieve this sentence reduction due to restrictions in the plan such as someone labeled a "king pin" can not benefit from this****ant's wife)

crisco
01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I saw this in the Congerssional Record" H.R. 265. A bill to target cocaine kingpins and address sentencing disparity between crack and powder cocaine; to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.Introduced by Shiela Jackson"

HisAngel2
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
But I don't see marijuana trafficking or am I blind?

ant's wife
01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
the only thing ive read so far is that obama is for legalizing medical marijuana that however is not listed on his website

mcw
01-12-2009, 04:13 PM
so i've been going through different websites and putting together Obama's plans to help those affected someway by the prison system this is all i can find so far, i am trying to get ahold of someone either within his office (president elect Obama) or Joe Biden's to get a full discription on thier plans as soon as i hear back from someone, anyone i"ll relay the information to everyone else

OBAMA’S PLAN

Expand Use of Drug Courts: Obama will give first-time, non-violent offenders a chance to serve their sentence, where appropriate, in the type of drug rehabilitation programs that have proven to work better than a prison term in changing bad behavior.
Reduce Crime Recidivism by Providing Ex-Offender Support: Obama will provide job training, substance abuse and mental health counseling to ex-offenders, so that they are successfully re-integrated into society.
Eliminate Sentencing Disparities:The disparity between sentencing crack and powder-based cocaine is wrong and should be completely eliminated. (*******although this has been passed there are still men and woman who won't recieve this sentence reduction due to restrictions in the plan such as someone labeled a "king pin" can not benefit from this****ant's wife)
Ant's wife, please keep me and everyone posted on this. Will you also pm me the sites with this information please!!

Thanks in advance:)

Mark2008
01-25-2009, 02:15 AM
In the grand scheme of things, this is waaay, waaaay, waaaay down on the list.

I realize that if you happened to be involved with one of these cases, it is a big deal. But that's a very small segment of the population.

I will be VERY surprised if, in four years time, the number of people in prison or the length of sentences, or the way courts are run, has changed very much.

djsmom
01-25-2009, 09:30 AM

I realize that if you happened to be involved with one of these cases, it is a big deal. But that's a very small segment of the population.

I will be VERY surprised if, in four years time, the number of people in prison or the length of sentences, or the way courts are run, has changed very much.

i agree. but,change takes time and as long as change takes place its a good thing in so many cases. i know what you are saying to some on here,but hopefully they realize any good changes that take place that may not happen in time for them- will help someone else not go through what they did. and,if nothing else, maybe somewhere down the line,the general public will not view all who are released from prison as trouble,a good part will have been won.

noboundries
02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
well...i know one thing, CA tentative ruling to release 30,000-52,000 inmates in the next 2-3 years is gonna be a drastic change for us....and i am sure more to follow. People are dying in prison.....the judges ruled, due to overcrowding, unconstitutional medical treatment was being delivered......NOW THAT'S GONNA BRING ABOUT SOME CHANGE! We can't look at just Obama to move, it's still government, and we gotta push! We gotta say 'HAY, INJUSTICE IS HERE!!!'

Ok....started getting emotional. Thanks for the info though...that's a start!

bear54
02-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Hello everybody,

I have found this - it might be interesting:

http://www.alternet.org/story/126897/america%27s_shame:_can_jim_webb_fix_the_prison_gul ag/

scoopster
02-22-2009, 10:22 AM
we also need to change the expungment laws, like more than one can be expunged for good behavior. Plus amend some type of protection under Title 7 of civil rights for ex-cons. pass federal law to give tax breaks for cities who pass laws like Boston Mass. where they can't do background check until after you have been hired. plus penalize vendors for refusing to hire ex-cons. Cities are taking action before the states. here is the link to Bostons.
http://www.dailyfreepress.com/news/1.926821-1.926821

This has been in effect for 2-3 years, even i read a story where one guy was ex-con driving a plow truck for city, hit and killed a elderly woman and fled. The city still kept their policy in place.

wickit
02-22-2009, 07:45 PM
I know if we don't change directions in our justice system we will always have over-crowded county jails and prisons. I believe we need a lockdown rehabilitation facility in my county and I've said if the inmates don't want to be involved or break the rules then send them on to prison from day one of their sentence. These people need help and a chance to change their life. We are spinning our wheels and it's obvious what we are doing is not working.

Joab
02-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I know if we don't change directions in our justice system we will always have over-crowded county jails and prisons. I believe we need a lockdown rehabilitation facility in my county and I've said if the inmates don't want to be involved or break the rules then send them on to prison from day one of their sentence. These people need help and a chance to change their life. We are spinning our wheels and it's obvious what we are doing is not working.

We do need prison reforms, but remember that the persons who are incharge if prison reforms are 80% or more the problem that prisons are the way that they are. We need people that are honest, have integrity, fear God and not lovers of money. Can we find persons with this traits.

If God would write on the wall, what would we find out about the prison's personel? Think about.

doingnhtime
02-27-2009, 02:18 PM
i agree. but,change takes time and as long as change takes place its a good thing in so many cases. i know what you are saying to some on here,but hopefully they realize any good changes that take place that may not happen in time for them- will help someone else not go through what they did. and,if nothing else, maybe somewhere down the line,the general public will not view all who are released from prison as trouble,a good part will have been won.
I agree change can be good and if it prevents anothers persons life from being torn apart by the 'system' then it is good! Pray for the law makers that have the tough decisions to make.

Determination 1
04-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi ant's wife,
I was checking out your thread and wanted to know if you have gotten any updated information. I'm from Mississippi and I would like to research this progress if it has been passed. Please let me know!!
:p:)

OBAMA’S PLAN

tia240
04-18-2009, 12:51 AM
we also need to change the expungment laws, like more than one can be expunged for good behavior. Plus amend some type of protection under Title 7 of civil rights for ex-cons. pass federal law to give tax breaks for cities who pass laws like Boston Mass. where they can't do background check until after you have been hired. plus penalize vendors for refusing to hire ex-cons. Cities are taking action before the states. here is the link to Bostons.

This has been in effect for 2-3 years, even i read a story where one guy was ex-con driving a plow truck for city, hit and killed a elderly woman and fled. The city still kept their policy in place.

=======================
Amen to that Scoopster!

I also beg you to PLEASE ask every woman, man and teenager to contact their House & Senate Representative (every day if possible) and create a tidal wave of support for getting this Bill - H.R. 1529 - The Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 - signed into Law. This bill has died every year since 2002 in the Senate and/or White House. - H.R. 1529 - The Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 would permit expungement of records of certain nonviolent criminal offenses. Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 amends the federal criminal code to allow an individual to file a petition for expungement of a record of conviction for a nonviolent criminal offense if such individual has satisfied all the requirements and contributes to the safety and health of his/her family and/or community. Supporting H.R. 1529 The Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 will help first-time offenders with reducing recidivism through work, career advancement and satisfying employment opportunities for Ex-Offenders. In many cases, this lack of job stability perpetuates a cycle of poverty and other forms of disenfranchisement, becoming a major contributor to recidivism which in turn increases demands on the resources of the prison system and drives up costs. Without the possibility of expungement, first time offenders are doomed to a life of menial employment, government dependency or recidivism. Expungement as a legal remedy offers hope to those without access to decent employment.

cornered
04-18-2009, 04:34 AM
They need make more options for seeking justice. If you're wrongly accused you should have a chance to get the judge or DA penalized. Tim Masters is a perfect example. The OB that put him away is now a judge. So much for retribution.

kylee23
04-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Not all change is good

canthelpbutwait
04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Not all change is good

can you elaborate on how them trying to change laws to help those incarcerated come home sooner is not good?

Paralegal USA
04-21-2009, 07:28 AM
can you elaborate on how them trying to change laws to help those incarcerated come home sooner is not good?

Simple: the prolific forger gets presented with the opportunity to steal some unsuspecting citizen's identity sooner. The drug addicted thief not wanting to change his ways gets the chance to rob some innocent elderly person at the mall again. The incorrigible pedophile gets the opportunity to steal the innocence of a young child sooner.

While many inmates are truly deservig of a second chance to act as productive members of their communities again, society demands - and deserves - protection from others.

bow-hunter
04-21-2009, 09:46 AM
WOW, you are a truly simple minded individual. SO you think that sending non-violent offenders away for long periods of time and institutionalizing them is a better answer? Or perhaps using millions of dollars of tax payer money to house people who pose no threat to the community is the answer? Or maybe keep them in prison so long that when they are released they can't function in society because so much has changed during the years that they were locked up.

You say that society demands protections from others. How about protection from the justice system. Do you really think that the justice system is fair and protects society, are you really that naive? How about the hundreds of people in prison that have never hurt anyone in their life? You would be surprised at how easy it is to become involved in the justice system. You don't have to be a kingpin drug dealer or kill anyone, infact those people represent a very small fraction. I really think you should learn more about the people on here and their hardships before you make such jack ass coments.

Thomas K
04-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Obama completly changed his tune once he selected Biden as VP. Biden & Ted Kennedy were two of the "masterminds" behind the current Federal sentencing guidelines. If you are the loved one of or know someone who is a first time non-violent federal offender go to "wedeserveourlivesback.com" and sign the petition in support of the bill HR1529 that you will find there.

cornered
04-25-2009, 11:51 PM
WOW, you are a truly simple minded individual. SO you think that sending non-violent offenders away for long periods of time and institutionalizing them is a better answer? Or perhaps using millions of dollars of tax payer money to house people who pose no threat to the community is the answer? Or maybe keep them in prison so long that when they are released they can't function in society because so much has changed during the years that they were locked up.

You say that society demands protections from others. How about protection from the justice system. Do you really think that the justice system is fair and protects society, are you really that naive? How about the hundreds of people in prison that have never hurt anyone in their life? You would be surprised at how easy it is to become involved in the justice system. You don't have to be a kingpin drug dealer or kill anyone, infact those people represent a very small fraction. I really think you should learn more about the people on here and their hardships before you make such jack ass coments.

I think that before you attack him perhaps ask for a clarification. I understand what he says, though I don't exactly agree with him.

ilovetimmy4309
04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
im new to this and have alot of questions can someone help me out?

cornered
04-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Such as....?

NaNa7
05-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Obama completly changed his tune once he selected Biden as VP. Biden & Ted Kennedy were two of the "masterminds" behind the current Federal sentencing guidelines. If you are the loved one of or know someone who is a first time non-violent federal offender go to "wedeserveourlivesback.com" and sign the petition in support of the bill HR1529 that you will find there.

Biden introduced the bill, others signed on. His bill wasn't the only bill passed over the years that has kept our love ones locked up for too many years. The "tough on crime" logic has been around longer than some have lived

What did Obama say thats makes you think he has changed his tune?
Biden has introduced a bill that would help inmates.

People are more enlighten, and don't like what they a hearing.

wendyann12
05-16-2009, 12:05 AM

maybe in his next term you think

Thomas K
05-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa and I stand corrected if that is what it takes.. I based my comments on Biden's history and Obama's responses or lack of to the hottest issues on his pre-inaguration website. Any relief offered by either is welcome. Just wish there was some way to get off dead center with HR 1475 and HR1529. Go to Tia"s post in reference to HR1529 elsewhere on this site for links to petitions supporting these bills. Can't post links myself, not member long enough or some such. Thanks

cyr2002
06-28-2009, 11:14 PM
i live in the state of ga. i am praying for this law. my husband was senteced to 30 to serve 25. long story short it would be a blessing to be able to have this law and getting him back. to be able to proof he is innocent. inhope it passes in ga. lets all pray for this.

rockys lil girl
07-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I know this takes time but these people are driving us nuts they dont act fast enough lol arrrgggghhhhh

SierraFamily
08-13-2009, 08:14 PM
I have to laugh at the way that people keep thinking that Job training is the answer. I'ts a part but the bottom line is that you have to be employable in order to get hired and If you have a FELONY CONVICTION,.You are not !!!! Period. You can have all the training and certificates in the world and when they run that Backround Check, it wont matter. You are a Convicted FELON Period so kiss your opportunity goodbye. That's just the way it is. Until the law is changed in some way to make it easier to get an expungement. Then it will be the same old revolving door of people going in and out of prison. I'ts a big business that makes too much money for too many people, Jails , Schools, Rehabs, Counslers, Prisons, Social Workers,Lawyers. All those services that have a big chunk of change as a result of someones misfourtunes would be greatly affected. The key is the Backround Checks!!!! Wake up people.

djsmom
08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
I have to laugh at the way that people keep thinking that Job training is the answer. I'ts a part but the bottom line is that you have to be employable in order to get hired and If you have a FELONY CONVICTION,.You are not !!!! Period. You can have all the training and certificates in the world and when they run that Backround Check, it wont matter. You are a Convicted FELON Period so kiss your opportunity goodbye. That's just the way it is. Until the law is changed in some way to make it easier to get an expungement. Then it will be the same old revolving door of people going in and out of prison. I'ts a big business that makes too much money for too many people, Jails , Schools, Rehabs, Counslers, Prisons, Social Workers,Lawyers. All those services that have a big chunk of change as a result of someones misfourtunes would be greatly affected. The key is the Backround Checks!!!! Wake up people.

AMEN!!!!!!!! what can we do for that change?

MrsCetina
08-14-2009, 01:24 AM
We do need prison reforms, but remember that the persons who are incharge if prison reforms are 80% or more the problem that prisons are the way that they are. We need people that are honest, have integrity, fear God and not lovers of money. Can we find persons with this traits.

If God would write on the wall, what would we find out about the prison's personel? Think about.

Who is we? Please keep in mind that not everyone believes in a god, and it is possible to be a good person without religious beliefs.

pamelalynn
08-15-2009, 07:50 AM
At the rate the economy is going PRISON is big business in America. Kick backs alone keep alot of states out of the red !!! A prime example is phone rates, GTL rates vary from state to states based SOLEY on how much each state profits off the call. The list of these "business" oportunities for each state goes on and on ... don't count on anything where a favorable decision would be made from your state or federal government.

mysonsinyankton
08-15-2009, 11:17 AM
You can go to: http://www.govtrack.us/ and in the top right corner put in the bill number and look it up. It will also "track it" or give you the current status. The bills that I know about are:

HR 1475 The Federal Prison Work Incentive Act of 2009
HR 61 Federal Prison Bureau Non Violent Offender Relief Act of 2009
HR 1133 Family Telephone Connection Protection Act of 2009
HR 1466 Major Drug Trafficing Act of 2009
HR 1459 Fairness in Cocaine Sentencing Act of 2009
HR 265 Drug Sentencing Reform and Cocaine Kingpin Traficking Act of 2009

I hope this is helpful.

eladlrm
01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
What we need is More Job Opportunities so that people would not fall into crime, I know that there are the rotten tomatoes that will never change, but bad thing happens to good people. What irony is that in TDCJ(texas) there is training for HVAC, Electrician, Plumber, but the state woulndt give you the license because youre a felon, Being a felon even discourages lot of people from attaining a college degree, What for? pretty much every employer at the professional level does a background check. Even people with degrees and no convictions struggle to get a job. For a lot of jobs you need a license which requires a background check... The government needs to do something about this, if not the prison population will be growing more and more.

big sis tee
01-17-2011, 10:03 PM
[yes this is very helpful thank you very m;uch for the input and directions and info

big sis tee
01-17-2011, 10:11 PM
i am a convicted felon sence 1989 for drug trafficing and i still found employment i just had to teach myself how to do the jobs , i went from bar tending i couldnt do cause of a felon and went to a factory work and learned how to sew on a machine and do factory work and i was not knocked down for it . and i also work as a telephone secretary answering for a emergency answering service and a customer service but you can not work where there is money booze and for the government jobs like hospitals or health care not even a receptionist in that line of feilds . there is work out there you just have to sell yourself and put all hands and feet forward it is how bad d you want to live right or do you want to live in the same cloths in a junky house and be a drunk or druggie feeling sorry for yourself i am not i am a go getttoer survivor and my brother i am stay ing beside him while he is in there and he is going to be a survivor also and he will be somebody if i have to break his ass lol .
thanks for listing
bigsistee

Rainbear1960
01-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Believe or not what rules does a non believer go by? With out God this Country will go to hell........with out love and knowing the truth....this world will go to hell.....Our County is based on Gods rules.. not non believers....yet there are so many ways to believe and love..God is Love.....A believer would give you a second chance..because one learns to not only think of ones self. Love they neighbor as thy self..........God is everywhere....and in everything! and in all ways if you let him in your heart...

eladlrm
01-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Bigsistee: I know there a jobs for felons, yes they are, but those are low paying jobs in most parts, jobs that nobody else wants, a felon has no advance opportunity, it is a type of discrimination. I got out of prison, I looked for a job and I was being honest in all applications answering that I was a felon, What was the outcome of that? no job. Finally I get into a very good paying job, working in refinerys as an industrial boilermaker getting $32 an hour risking my life everyday to make a comfortable living for my family and then what? The government comes up with a requirement that every person entering a facility near the water has to have a TWIC card and guess what? yes, background check, I know it mest up the job for a loooot of people... I dont know where the government is going restricting everything, next thing is youre going to need a license to clean restrooms... it sucks..

badcalorie
01-20-2011, 02:21 AM
I really disagree with the idea that there are not job opportunities for felony offenders. I have a great job (its not my dream job). I work for a state agency, get paid great, and receive good benefits and will get a pension if I stick with them. None of this would have been possible without education. I got a master's degree and started looking (as long as you have no drug charges you are eligible for federal student loans). I have only two charges on my record (same night) and when I interviewed for my current job, they interviewer sincerely believed that this was a one time event, I made some bad choices, and that I have done everything I could to make up for them. I backed that up with letters of recommendation from professors, former employers, my PO, etc. I think if you work hard to prove to people that you made a mistake, were willing to accept the punishment, and have worked hard to change yourself, most people WILL give you a chance.

alwayshim
01-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Its not only convicted felons that can't get good jobs PHD's can't find work. This country is a mess!!

katydidit17
01-20-2011, 09:30 PM
I voted for him...BUT I will believe it when I see it. Our president says alot of things.......:eek: