View Full Version : Cost of electronic monitoring (house arrest)?

nikkisep
01-14-2009, 09:04 AM
I just received a visit from a probation officer at my home this morning, who explained to me that my husband (who will be released in 16 days) will have to immediately report to be hooked up for an electronic monitoring anklet, and will be on house arrest for 3 months, and probation for 2 years. My question is, does anyone know the cost of house arrest for Greenville County? I forgot to ask the man. I know that there is an initial fee (how much is it) and then, you have to pay after that, but I have no idea the costs that we are looking at? Does anyone have any experience with house arrest in Greenville County?

barky586
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
nikki, isn't your husband's crime the same as my son-in-law's (see my profile)? If so, he has a probation officer? This must be like the community supervision my son-in-law has understood he will be on. Curious how it would come up to 2 years of supervision. Can you enlighten me? :) Thanks!

PS - I'm sorry I do not know how much it will cost, but if you do find out, please post that also. Thanks again!

nikkisep
01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Barky:
Yes, my husband is in for the same crime. He had heard from several other inmates that he would have to do house arrest, and some amount of probation. I didn't really believe the whole house arrest thing, but apparently, it is true. I don't know if the man who arrived at my house this morning was an actual probation officer or if he just works for the Parole and Probation Dept. When Kurt did some of his release paperwork last week, he listed our house as where he would be living when he got released. The guy had me sign some paperwork authorizing to attach the transmitter box to the phone lines, and just verify that Kurt would be living here. He told me that the day I pick him up, I am immediately to drive him to the Probation Office to have the monitoring anklet put on. Now, word is, (this is what Kurt has heard) is that after release, they have 72 hours to report *meaning they can go on Monday*. Now, I don't know how true this is, and I told Kurt to ask his caseworker about it, but I know the man told me that I was to leave Perry and go straight there, where the first thing they will do is give Kurt a drug test. I am hoping that we can at least have the first weekend, so that we can go out to eat, visit family, etc. while we can. I will let you know when I find something out regarding when they need to report.

The guy also told me that he will have 2 years of probation. I guess it begins when he gets out, so after the 3 months of house arrest, he will have 1 year and 9 months of probation. Apparently, this is how it works for all 85%ers. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have my husband home. But at the same time, I've waited for so long to have a normal life: to be able to go out on date nights, to go to dinner as a family, to go to the movies. It's still not over yet. The state still has control over our lives.

Anyways, I'm doing a bit of research and I will hear from Kurt so I will let you know any other info I find out.

donutandpickle
01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the information because this sounds just like what my honey has to do when he gets out. Although we still have 5 years left so I guess i'm getting ahead of myself lol.

missingtyrone
01-15-2009, 06:36 AM
From what I understand ALL "violent" offenders with 85% will have to do 3 months with an ankle monitor (which is pretty much house arrest!) and then 2 years probation, which after the first 90 days there will be 1 year and 9 months left for the probation. My husband heard that you could "pay off" the probation early, but I don't know for sure! He doesn't get out until next year but I would REALLY like to know if you find out any other information! It would be nice if they could wait for 72 hours, but I think they only have 24 hours to report, but if the probation officer said to report their immediately then I would suggest you do JUST what he said because they are the ones that can violate his probation and he'll be right back in there! I agree with you...........I will be waited 4 years and 3 months for us to have a normal life and be able to go out and do things, but NOTHING is worth him going back..........just remember the 2 years can't last forever and it's better to have him home for that 2 years then for him to still be in prison! Keep us updated if you find out anything!

barky586
01-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Oh well, I gess my son-in-law won't be wearing shorts to any of his college classes! Not thrilled about the monitor, but after prison, I'm sure he can handle it! Is the ankle bracelet just for the three months?

Michael's mama
01-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey all,
Not sure if this applies to after release but my son was released on bail with GPS ankle monitoring and it was VERY expensive. It was around 300.00 set-up and 110.00 dollars a WEEK! He was on house arrest until his trial. We were told there were different types of monitoring but the one that the judge ordered for him was awful! Hope this does not apply to after release also. We are in York Co. if that makes any difference.
:angry:

nikkisep
01-27-2009, 01:30 PM
OK, so someone came to visit my hubby today about house arrest and his probation, and this is what I found out.

When the inmate is released, they have until Monday at 8:30 to report. The only problem that we see is that they do not open until 8:30 on Monday. So instead of risking him violating, we are going to eat with the family, and then reporting to the probation office at county square on Friday. (Having until Monday wasn't just told to him, it was also in the paperwork that he signed as well.)

From what he was told, it appears that they may not hook him up until Monday, which is definitely a good thing. I am keeping my fingers crossed, as I held off my son's 2nd birthday for 2 weeks to wait until he was home before having it. He said that they will do a home visit (I don't know what that consists of) and hook the box up to the phone line. When going on house arrest, you MUST have a home phone, and NOTHING can be on it. They told us that we would have to remove any features (call waiting, caller ID, three way, etc.) as well as not have internet through it. (fine for us, as I have Charter, but I do have all of the features on the phone which will have to be cut off.) From my understanding, when he reports on Friday, he will have to take a drug test, do some paperwork, and will be hooked up on Monday, although we will have to see about that. I will let you know for certain as it happens.
I don't know anything about the cost yet, but I do know that they can only leave the house for work, to report to the probation office, and to go to church. (which is a good thing for us, as most of our family goes to the same church.) If he is found in violation in any way (which he won't), he was told he would be sent back to do the remainder of his sentence.
Anyways, just wanted to keep you guys up to date about what I had found and will return as I find out more. Friday is the big day and I am so excited, I can barely contain myself. Going to visit for the last time on Sunday was surreal. Reality set in and I cried as I walked back to my car. So glad it is over, and my thoughts and prayers will continue to be with those of you who are still fighting the battle.

ancientoak
01-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Thank you for the post. congratulations I hope all goes well for your family.

nikkisep
02-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Hello everyone! My husband has been out since Friday and it has been awesome! We had a very busy weekend at our house, but this week, things have calmed down and we're taking a break before he goes back to work next week.

After he was released (about 9 AM), we went to breakfast and then reported to the Probation & Parole Office at around 11. We weren't there for long at all before we were called back. Luckily, his P.O. is a very nice lady. She put the ankle monitor on him, but told him that the machine was not going to be hooked up until Monday. However, she told him that she wanted him to stay at home for the weekend, as she could send an agent out there at any time, and this was the first step to establishing trust between them. She did, however, ask if there was anything that needed to be done over the weekend. We asked if we could go out to eat after leaving there, and she gave us until 5 PM to be out. We then asked about church, and she gave us from 8 AM to 1 PM for church. We went out at those times, but stayed in the house the rest of the weekend.
Yesterday (Monday) afternoon, she came by to attach the machine to the phone line. I have to note that you have to have all calling features removed from the phone (caller ID, call waiting, etc.). We called on Friday and they were promptly taken off. You also have to limit use on the phone, as it can interfere with the device, so if you have a cell phone, I would use that as your main line and the house phone as a secondary line.
Anyways, the cost of the electronic monitoring is 40 dollars a week. We didn't have to pay anything on Friday, but he has to report tomorrow, where I am sure we will pay the first 40. After the ninety days of monitoring are over, probation will be 40 dollars a month. We don't have any restitution to pay, so if you have to pay restitution, I am sure it will be a little more.
When we report tomorrow, she told Kurt to bring a handwritten schedule from his employer with his weekly hours. She told Kurt that she would give him a little extra time in the mornings, and after work, if he has any errands or anything he needs to do. She also said that she will give us the time for church, and also said (and this was quite the shock to us!) that she will give him some free hours on Saturday, which is just awesome. I don't know the hours yet, but will come back after reporting tomorrow to give everyone an idea of what you're looking at.
So basically, when he is home, he can't even go into the yard. He can, but she explained that when you start putting things such as walls between you, the device can lose the transmission, and it is not worth risking a violation just to walk in the yard. She did give him permission to go out on our front patio (which is about 5 feet by 5 feet) to smoke. Other than that, though, when he is supposed to be home, he has to stay inside (can't even go out to the mailbox!)

Anyways, this is the information I have now. I will return and let you guys know what schedule we have been set up with to give you an idea of what hours they can be out. I'm sure it varies from PO to PO, but luckily, I think we got a good one. I should also mention that yesterday, she looked around the house. Didn't go through anything, just walked from room to room with Kurt. Well, I will keep you guys updated as I gather more info.

barky586
02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Thank you so very much for sharing this. I hope, in my son-in-law's case, that they will allow college rather than work. But if he must work to satisfy them, he can do that besides school. I guess I better plan on addng a land line just before he comes home.

May I ask you a nosy question (LOL)? How did he find a job so quickly?!

jbrown76
02-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I was also wondering if full time school/education pursuit is permissible instead of full time job. Does anyone know for sure?

J.

nikkisep
02-03-2009, 01:24 PM
barky, we are very lucky in that my husband's father (my father in law) owns a business that my husband was employed at prior to his incarceration. We always knew that when he came out, he would still have a place there, which is awesome, considering how difficult it is for a "felon" to find a job.

As far as school instead of work goes, I really don't know. We will ask the P.O. about that and I will get back to all of you.

nikkisep
02-06-2009, 05:57 AM
So my husband reported and was given the hours of 5:30 AM to 8 PM on Monday through Friday, no hours on Saturday, and 8 AM to 1 PM on Sunday for church. We plan on asking in a few weeks if he can have Saturday hours, but being as he was given so much time on Monday-Friday, I don't know if it is going to happen. We have not had a chance to ask about school, just yet, but from some paperwork we had gotten, as long as they bring in a paper saying the hours that they will be working (or in this case, at school), proof of residence, and some sort of income verification, that is all they need. I've done some research online, and have seen that they can go to school, but when I find out for sure, I will come back and report that.
My husband had to report to get his hours on Wednesday, and it was a MESS. They do not give a set time to be there. They say to arrive between 8:30 and 11. We arrived at about 9 o'clock and did not leave until noon! I would suggest getting there as early as possible. By the time we got there at 9 o'clock, the parking lot was so full, I practically had to park on the other side of the world (really, just the other side of the building, but it was REALLY far!) and it was really crowded. So I would suggest getting there as close to 8:30 (or earlier) as possible. He also had to report on Thursday for "intake", which just consisted of getting all of his personal information, and setting up the payment schedule. We did not have to pay anything again this week, but next week, will have to start paying 40 dollars a week (for the house arrest, probation is set at 40 per month). Surprisingly, he wasn't given a drug test, but I would imagine that those would be random.
Anyways, that's all of the info I have for now, when I find out more, I will come back.

Hope everyone is doing well!

HardHeadedWoman
02-06-2009, 07:19 AM
yes they do get time off for school! You will have to give them your class schedule the same as if it was a work schedule.

barky586
02-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks so much! I felt almost certain that that would be the case, but sometimes procedures don't exactly make if you know what I mean....

HardHeadedWoman
02-07-2009, 08:02 AM
they also have to give them times for dr. and dentist appointments. My son was actually on the monitor and had to have a mri done and they had to remove the monitor since it couldnt go through the xray machine. soon as they finsihed the nurse had to call the company to let them know they were finished and he had 30 minutes to get back to the monitoring office to have a new one put on.

Itamedthelion
02-19-2009, 06:26 PM
From what I understand ALL "violent" offenders with 85% will have to do 3 months with an ankle monitor (which is pretty much house arrest!) and then 2 years probation, which after the first 90 days there will be 1 year and 9 months left for the probation. My husband heard that you could "pay off" the probation early, but I don't know for sure! He doesn't get out until next year but I would REALLY like to know if you find out any other information! It would be nice if they could wait for 72 hours, but I think they only have 24 hours to report, but if the probation officer said to report their immediately then I would suggest you do JUST what he said because they are the ones that can violate his probation and he'll be right back in there! I agree with you...........I will be waited 4 years and 3 months for us to have a normal life and be able to go out and do things, but NOTHING is worth him going back..........just remember the 2 years can't last forever and it's better to have him home for that 2 years then for him to still be in prison! Keep us updated if you find out anything!

Yes here in sc, you can "pay off" probation early. Like lets say you pay 40/month for six months, that's be what, 200 bucks? If you paid the 200 as soon as possible you would be off probation. This came strait out of my ex probationary officers mouth. Now does anyone know if this would apply to house arrest??? If so, dang i need to save up!!!! ;)

nikkisep
03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Hello again everyone! Hope all is well with all. Just here to post an exciting update.

My husband will be off of house arrest (electronic monitoring) on Monday! We were going to probation every Wednesday, and today, after being inside for 3 (yes THREE!) hours, Kurt came to the car (where I sit and wait) and told me that his P.O. is cutting off the ankle bracelet on Monday. (She would do it on Friday, but is off that day!) It was such a shock to us, as we were told that there was to be 90 days of electronic monitoring, MINIMUM. However, his P.O. told him that removing it was at her discretion, and that she felt as though he no longer needed to be on it.

Very exciting for our family! We were blessed to get a very kind P.O. (I know there are some out there that are not.) So I just wanted to let everyone know, if your loved one is serving an 85 percent term and has to do house arrest when they are released, give them this advice:

1.) Report each and every week. The probation and parole office opened their doors at 8:30, and we were never there any later than 9 AM. Sometimes we waited five minutes, sometimes we waited three hours, but we always arrived early.

2.) No drugs. Absolutely none. Kurt was not drug tested in these past few weeks, but it didn't matter. He could've passed a drug test at any time.

3.) Pay your money. 40 dollars a week is hard, especially in this bad economy. Kurt and I cut out other things (such as not ordering pizza, or going out to eat for lunch) to make sure that we had 40 dollars a week.

4.) Be polite and honest with your P.O. Attitude is getting you nowhere. I've spoken to the p.o. several times and have talked about my children, my life, and Kurt's charges. We've opened up to her, and shown her that we have nothing to hide, and that Kurt is just a man who made a mistake in his life, and who is just wanting to go to work and be with his family.

5.) Don't push your limits on the times you are allowed out. Kurt is allowed out from 5:30 AM until 8 PM. He is NEVER out past 7 o'clock. These people can track you at any time. Arriving home every night at 7:59 may show that you don't take it seriously. Being in well before your cut off time may show them that you take it seriously, and just want to get through it. When he is not allowed out, he does not go out, not even in our yard.

6.) Try to find a job ASAP, no matter what it is. If you can't find a job, make a list of places that you have applied to, people you have called, etc. Showing that you are making an effort is better than doing nothing at all. If you do have a job, bring in check stubs, or a letter from your employer.

I don't know how this relates to all counties, but this is in Greenville County. We have done everything we have supposed to do and we are being rewarded for it. Such an awesome feeling to know that we can now take our children to the park on Saturday, or go out to eat with family after church on Sunday, without watching the clock like a hawk. So glad that we are one step closer to total freedom from the system!

As far as probation, Kurt will still have to go through that. He will only have to report once a month, instead of once a week, which is just fantastic, as the waiting times up there (not to mention navigating that full parking lot) can be daunting. It will be 40 dollars a month instead of per week, which will save quite a bit of money. As far as what someone said about being able to pay the money and going off of probation, I don't know about that. We were told the first day we went there (the day of his release) that he could either pay all of the money upfront, or each month. They never said anything about paying it off to be done, but we plan on doing that anyways (just to have the money aspect behind us), so if this is the case, I will let you guys know. Just thought I would drop by with this information to possibly help someone else out in this situation to let you know, do what you are supposed to do, and you will definitely see some good in the situation.

God bless you all!

choclgs
01-10-2010, 02:00 PM
I have to note that you have to have all calling features removed from the phone (caller ID, call waiting, etc.). We called on Friday and they were promptly taken off. You also have to limit use on the phone, as it can interfere with the device, so if you have a cell phone, I would use that as your main line and the house phone as a secondary line.

I have digital phone service and I'm not sure if you're able to remove the services from the line. Will I have to go with service from another company or add another phone line? I have a prepaid cell phone, but it's for emergencies to manage the cost.