View Full Version : Prison number-CRAF help

dwight
12-21-2003, 08:34 PM
Hi- My son was just sent to CRAF from county jail a few days ago. Have not heard from him yet. Looked him up on the online prisoner locator. He has a number, under "SBI number", starting 0003..... Is this his state prisoner number, or some other number? I would like to write him, but don't know if he will get the letter if this is not the correct number. I think it's terrible he was sent away just before Christmas. We went to see him today & found out he was gone. We sent him commissary $$ for xmas to the county jail, and now he will have nothing. Will his commissary $$ follow him? How about his clothes & books, etc? How about mail he did not yet receive at the county?
The mailing address listed on the CRAF website is:
Central Reception and Assignment Facility
P.O. Box 7450
Trenton, New Jersey 08625

Is this where we send mail to the inmates? The website really gives very little useful information.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

vicky427
12-21-2003, 09:44 PM
My Fiance is currently in CRAF at this moment. He too was just taken there ... I actually found out that he was in CRAF by using the DOC's webpage to find Inmates.

I received a letter from him and I have sent him letters to that address with his SBI# attached but I also included a Housing Location #. Maybe you can call CRAF and get his Housing Location # or ask if you list his First & Last Name along with his SBI# will it be enough info for your son to receive it.

Just call CRAF to make sure. Also, send a Money Order because Checks & Cash are not accepted ok. I believe that anything that was sent to them at the County does follow them but it just takes forever to get there. :(

Also, he will not be able to call you until his PIN# is set up ... once he gets that he will be able to call you. I unfortuantely had a roommate that ran up my Long Distance bill with AT&T and she never paid so I have an outstanding bill with them and they refuse to put his calls thru until I pay the balance off ... but at least I can communicate with him via letters until I get that balance paid off.

I hope this lil' bit of info helps. I am finding it out as I go myself. Best of luck ...

HeatherT
12-21-2003, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure about the whole money and books thing. For that info, call the County Jail and ask them. When you address the envelope, write it out to:

His Name
His SBI #
P.O. Box 7450
West Trenton, NJ 08628

You can call CRAF and ask if they know his housing unit. Helps to get his mail there a little faster.

As for his property that he had with him in the county jail...Louie had his clothes and some paperwork sent home. CRAF will not allow them to keep anything. You should receive a box of his things in the mail within 2-3 weeks of him being transfered there.

As far as I am aware, his mail will be forwarded. But like I said before, contact the County Jail he was in to find out for sure.

I know what you mean about being transfered right before Christmas. My fiance was transfered on December 5th to CRAF. I was at the dr's on Thursday (I am 8 months pregnant) and he called but no one was here. Turns out they transfered him to Northern State (up in Newark) so I dont know if I will even get to talk to him before Christmas.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me anytime. Hope things work out!

Heather

vicky427
12-21-2003, 09:54 PM
The way I address my letters to my fiance is like this ...

His Name:
His SBI #:
Housing Location #:
Central Reception & Assignment Facility
P.O. Box 7450
West Trenton, NJ 08628

I hope this info helps as well ...

dwight
01-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply o my questions about CRAF. Now my son is at Mountainview. He says it will be 3 weeks before he can do much. He would like to et some magazines but doesn't know if or when he will be able to receive them. Does anyone know?

Princesschloe
01-05-2004, 10:34 PM
I don't know if they can get magazines at moutainview but you can call them and they will tell you. The phone number is 908-638-6191. My boyfriend just left there a couple of months ago, but I never sent him magazines I know that he said they had some there. He can also ask a few of the other inmates.

Princesschloe
01-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Also if your son didn't tell you the address to moutainview is

Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility
31 Petticoat Lane
Annandale, NJ 08801

dwight
01-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for their info. I heard from my son recently & he said that after 3 weeks he can get magazines. Does anyone know if he is allowed paperback books too, as he did at Essex County? From a bookstore or Amazon.com. He is a big reader & although he has read his bible a LOT, he would like something else also. He is trying to educate himself. I really appreciate all the info you all have.

HeatherT
01-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Call the prison to confirm.....but most prisons allow magazines and paperbacks. But make sure you call and ask before you send them.....and make sure to get the name of the person you spoke to that said they were allowed. When Louie was in CRAF, I spoke to a woman that said that books were allowed. So I bought him books and had them shipped there. Turns out that books ARENT allowed there, so they were sent back. But in the meantime, I hadnt written down the lady's name and I couldnt call to complain. :( Just a suggestion.

MissingMIke
02-09-2004, 08:20 PM
How long does it take to get a PIN # for the phone???? If i send mail to craf, at the po box 7450, trenton, nj, will he get my mail? (I didn't have his SBI # the 1st letter i mailed after he got moved there )... No calls ... no mail.... 6 days... UGH!!!

vicky427
02-09-2004, 10:07 PM
I believe it takes about 2 weeks? I am guessing because my fiance did get his Pin# right away BUT unfortunately I had Phone Problems ... I am sure his mail will get to him but it will take longer to get to him because you don't have the SBI# ... have you tried looking it up on the DOC website? I believe this is the web address ...

http://www.state.nj.us/corrections/index.shtml

Once there click on "Offenders Search" and hit "Accept" then type in his First, Last Name & DOB ... that is how most of us here keep tabs on our Luved Ones & it's actually how I found my Fiance after he was picked up on that dreadful (12/2/03) day ... :(

BTW ... They can not receive visit's there either ... not until they are sent to the Prison ... :(

Best of luck ... :wave:

kim2882
07-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi i was wondering if anyone has any information about CRAF. How is the conditions there? Does it really take weeks for the inmates to be placed permanently?

kim2882
07-14-2004, 03:23 PM
How long does it take to get a PIN # for the phone???? If i send mail to craf, at the po box 7450, trenton, nj, will he get my mail? (I didn't have his SBI # the 1st letter i mailed after he got moved there )... No calls ... no mail.... 6 days... UGH!!!

Hi, my bf just got tranfered to CRAF and its alittle frustrating b/c i heard that he's not allowed to have any visitors. Is that really true. And I was also wondering if the mail does go through? I am really desperate for any information anyone has. Thanks so much

*Johnny's Angel*
07-14-2004, 05:00 PM
There are no visits. When your BF gets classified he will find out where he is going and depending on where he was classified to the waiting time will vary. The mail does go through as long as you address it to his name than SBI number (found on the NJ DOC website starting with 0000 but you can leave the 0's off) then C.R.A.F. and hten the address. The calls from tehre are very expensive. It took my boyfriend about 4 days to get his pin. My boyfriend got classified to a halfway house from there and was in CRAF almost a month. They usually get classified within a week or 2 of being there. If you want to PM me wiht his sentance and charges feel free, I can tell you waht prisons will most likely hosue him.

mlle_keiko
07-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Money Orders, Letters & Pin Numbers @ CRAF

Money on the books at county when they are transfered to CRAF

on the issue of Money Left On the books at county...I'm not sure if all Counties do this....but if your loved one has any money on the books before he gets transfered...they will most likely take MOST if not ALL of it for trasnperation fees and $5.00/day fee. The day before Tony was transfered, I put money on the books for him. Needless to say, they only sent a $10.00 check with him to CRAF.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sending Money Orders

When you send a Money Order to your loved one at CRAF I always send a Postal Money Order and adress it with their name and SBI# and the address of CRAF and then my name and address where it says too...it takes about 5 buisness days for the m/o to clear....But, that is after it gets sorted in the mailroom and that could take a while...they can only order toiletries and stationary stuff. They can order 10 envelopes, but it must be 5 small and 5 buisness.

Sending letters to loved ones

When you write your loved ones...you can start doing so as soon as you find out they are transfered VIA the NJDOC web page. Until they get thier "housing location" you can just address it as follows:

John Doe SBI# 123456A
CRAF
PO Box 7450
West Trenton, NJ 08628

After they find out their "housing location" you place that after their SBI#

Mail coming out of CRAF is "fairly" quick, but mail going into CRAF is SLOW as molassas. It took a week for Tony to receive a letter from me & I was writing him every day from the day I knew he was transfered.

Pin Number to Make Phone Calls

Now the issue of Pin numbers for phone calls. Please make sure when they fill out the informaiton for the phone pin numbers that they have the correct address and nothing is missing. IF they are missing say a house number or something small like that, they will send the paper back to you and you'll have to fill out a new one. And make sure they put everyone on the list that whom they would like to make phone calls to or even think they would like to make phone calls to, as they only allow revisions to the lists Every 90 days and when Tony was there, the last time was May 29 or some date at the end of May, so then the next time he would have been able to add anyone would have been sometime in August. Believe me, you don't want this happening. It took Tony over 2 weeks to get his pin to call me. Also, once your loved one receives their Pin, doesn't mean they can call you right away. It takes up to 48 hours for the pin to be activated. Please let your loved ones know this, as it was stressing Tony out and he was getting all paranoid thinking they were keeping us from talking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phone Call Prices & Length

Phone calls are 15 min in length.
Phone call prices: if your calls are though Bell Atlantic: then $2.45 the first min and 20 cents each aditional min. When your 15 min is up, there is no warning, just a loud BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP and a disconection.
If your phone calls are through AT&T then it's aprox $9.50 or so. I'm not sure of the "break down"...I think like $4.99 for the first min and .99/for each min after that? You won't know who the carrier of the collect call is until you receive your first one and you'll hear the message.