View Full Version : Does anyone know how i can get collect calls if i have time warner cable in ny

Mrs.MMitchell
01-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Hello,

I am new here, I just joined yesturday. My husband just got sentenced on Wednesday to 3-6 years. He is still in Rikers Island and I don't know when he will be moved upstate or where he will be going. I was told by a friend that if you have your phone hooked up through your cable company that you won't be able to get collect phone calls once they go upstate. I am able to get collect calls from him while he is here in county jail but was told it was different once he goes up. I can't get another phone line because in the past I made a lot of bad choices and wasn't paying my phone bills and just changing phone companies. I know that is horrible but I was younger, had kids and something was always needing to get paid and the phone was always last on my list.

Is there anyone from NY that has time warner (tripple play) and could tell me what to do please? We have been through a crazy rolllar coaster ride with court (long story) and I was diagnosed with crohns disease and have been very sick. My children and I haven't even been able to see him since he was locked up in September and because of my condition will not be able to see him untill he comes home so the phone calls are very important. Can someone please help me? Thank you so much in advance

His O.C. girl
01-23-2009, 01:54 PM
there is a company called global telecommunications that handle calls from most prisons is the u.s. their number is 1800-483-8314. you need a credit card to set up an account, or debit card. you can put $25.00 or $50.00 on your account and everytime he calls, it's routed thru them. each call is $3.15. hope that works for you. You sure don't need added stress with a new dx. of crohns. Another alternative is to buy a pay as you go phone,but it cost more. you have to also set up an account thru gtl plus by minutes from the pay as you go company. If you have to buy a pay as you go phone get a cheap one, mine was $10.00. it worked fine. Good luck

PrincessBaby
01-23-2009, 03:56 PM
You're going to have to go through GTL (Global Tel Link) and your husband has to attempt to call you first before you can set up an account. If he doesn't attempt to call you, GTL won't be able to help you set up an account.

Then, you call 1.800.231.0193 or 1.800.483.8314 to set up the account. They might ask you to fax over a copy of your cable bill (which is what I had to do). Then you're going to have to wait a few days before calling them back to set up your account. Sucks I know! :blah:

After all that, when you call them back - you have to put in a deposit first for a limit of a certain number of calls each month (6 calls for $50, 12 calls for $100, up to 30 calls for $300 I think). When your deposit runs out, they will bill you each month.

Your bill is due the 24th of each month and your calls are renewed every 1st of the month. Make sure you pay your bill on time or else they will drop your calls down to 3! :eek:

And before you ask ... no ... it doesn't cost that much for each call. That's just how many calls you're limited to each month. So say you sign up for the 6 call limit and your calls cost $3 ... that only adds up to $18, which they'll deduct from your $50 deposit. The remaining balance will roll over to the next month until you're down to $0 and then they'll start billing you.

I hope this helps you out.

I forgot to add that after you set up your account with GTL. You can log onto www.correctionsgtl.com so you can check your account. You'll just need an e-mail address, your phone number that you set up the account on, and the PIN code that you set up with the GTL rep. Oh, and after 2 months, a link will show up on there that will increase your calls by 5.

Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

PTO-92958
01-23-2009, 06:17 PM
I have Time Warner, and until they offered to keep my old number, I wouldn't switch over.
If you have a 280 prefix, you can't use GTL. You have to have a local number.
I am moving this thread to the NY forum so you can get more specific replies.