View Full Version : Visiting Riverhead Jail, Suffolk County

debnyc
02-15-2009, 05:19 PM
My man is at Riverhead waiting for sentencing for DWI. I am going to see him on Saturday, Feb 21 (my birthday is the 23rd so this is my present) and not sure what to expect. Since I am taking the train from NYC, I will have a cell phone on me and someone said you could not even put that in the lockers there. Also, I have one ring I cannot get off my finger and am hoping that is not going to be a problem. Plus, I cannot find out the number to make the appointment. Does anyone know what the number to make the appointment and also when can I start calling.
Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me. Any info would be appreciated. :)

mistyone23
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
There is a web page for the visiting info.Go to the Suffolk County Government site, click on Sheriff's office and the on visiting information. The number is 631 852-1893 or 1894. Call early in the week - Monday morning is best. You can put a cell pohone in the locker - make sure it's turned off. The ring might be a problem but if you show them it can't come off they should let you through. Make sure you don'twear an underwire bra - that won't get through.
Good luck!

debnyc
02-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I thought I would post this after my visit on Saturday, Feb 21. 2009 so that any other visitors going to Riverhead would know what to expect. First, you can make an appt. to visit so call early on Monday morning 8:00am at 631-852-1893 or 1894 especially if you want a Saturday visit. You must call at least 24 hours before so if you miss Monday or if it is busy just keep trying. Inmates are also allowed walk in visits but that is a little bit different as it based on the last name of the inmate and you need to find out what days he is allowed walk in visits. When you call they will ask you who you want to visit and their Prison Inmate Number(PIN) or their birthday and tell you what time slots are open (visiting hours are 1:00, 2:30, 4:00 and 6:45) usually they offer you the 2:30 or 6:45pm) they will ask you for your New York License or ID number or New Jersey License number) I do not have one so they took my US Passport number. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM WHEN THEY SAY A US PASSPORTRT IS OK. When I went to the jail I was almost denied visiting him because of it and was given a booth (no physical contact) visit because of it and that was only because I started to cry when they told me I could not see him and had traveled a great distance. So, if you do not have a State ID from DMV get one before you visit. That way you can hug and kiss you man and just be divided by a little short plastic partition.

Transportation from NYC: There are 2 trains from Penn State that go to Riverhead but the only one that fits with their visiting hours is the 9:16 am and then arrives in Ronkonkoma at 10:35am and then the Ronkonkoma train leaves at 10:40am so you have to hussle to make sure you get off the train and get on the Ronkonkoma train to Riverhead. You arrive in Riverhead at 11:20am. You can check out the train schedules at 718 217-LIRR as the train schedules do change throughout the seasons. Round trip train ticket is about $30.00. Then the return train is at 6:53pm arriving back into Penn at 9:00pm (also changing in Ronkonkoma). There are taxis at the train station if for some reason there are no taxis the number for Riverhead Town Taxi is 631-369-5522 or East End Taxi at 631-727-0400 that will take you to the Jail (however, you cannot show up early, I was told to report at 1:15pm for my 2:30pm appt and took the taxi over (only $5.00) and they said that I had to report no earlier than 2:00pm. So I walked back to the train station it is walkable but you have to cross a somewhat busy highway. If you have time to burn my suggest is to take one of the taxis into Main Street Riverhead (only $5.00) and walk around and get something to eat. And then have them take you back to the jail. There is an enclosed little area by the drive in check point that they will allow you to wait for 15minutes or so. And now you are thinking well how to call a taxi if I cannot carry a cell phone. Well, first there are pay phones at the train station, but none I could see at the jail. My friend was also visiting her guy, (we met on the train) had a cell phone and had no problem checking it in the lockers. However, there are signs all over the visiting area that you cannot bring in a cell phone. So I do not know what to tell you in that as most people drive to Riverhead they can leave them in the car. They did not even ask if you had one, so if you bring one just keep it off and in your purse and then check it. But it is possible to live without one for a day....:)

The Check In Part: When you check in and show your id. They will tell you to wait and then they will call out your inmate's name and you will be given a locker number to put all your things in. At that time you can give them anything you have brought for him (see below). You have to take off all your jewelry, they do allow wedding rings. I had a ring that would not come off but they did not even said anything about it. Also, your coat and hat (if it is winter) and they will not allow any hooded sweaters. No under wire bras as they do set off the metal detector. The locker is free but just make sure you do not close it before you have put in everything as you will have to wait for them to reopen it and lose time.

After you take off you shoes and go through the metal detector they will ask to see your stamp hand which you have done at check in (if you get a contact visit you will be put in a little locked room and then tell you what number booth you have to sit at and then you go there and they bring out the inmates. if you get a non contact visit you get to go sit in the little booth with the full partition and he is usually waiting there for you. The only good thing about having a non contact visit is that we ending up having about an 1:15 minutes instead of an hour. But believe me I would have gladly give up that 15 minutes for a hug and kiss.

What you can bring: You can bring him 4 paperback novels, 4 magazines, 6 white T-Shirts,(must be in plastic and new), 2 Green sweatpants, 2 Green sweatshirts. No underwear or socks or soap or shampoo, toothpaste or any other personal item as they must buy that in the commissary. You can add money to his commissary account when you check in and give them his things. They can visit the commissary 2 times a week I think Tuesday and Friday and can take out up to $25.00 each time. My guy gets peanut butter and wonder bread, tuna and things to draw on. He is an artist.

After you visit: If your guy left you something, they can do that. My guy gave me my birthday present which was a drawing of 2 horses. You can pick up the items after the visit. Then you have to make your way back to the train station or call a taxi and have them take you back to Riverhead to have something to eat or wait out the 2 hours and 45 minutes before the train leaves.

I hope this helps somewhat. Knowing what to expect on your first visit makes it a little easier. If you have any questions or if I have left out anything feel free to correct it. You should check on what items they can have as Riverhead changes that from time to time, however the check in process has remained the same for years. I wish you well on your first vist and I am looking forward to my second visit.

debnyc

NYNIKKI
03-19-2009, 10:04 AM
My man is at Riverhead waiting for sentencing for DWI. I am going to see him on Saturday, Feb 21 (my birthday is the 23rd so this is my present) and not sure what to expect. Since I am taking the train from NYC, I will have a cell phone on me and someone said you could not even put that in the lockers there. Also, I have one ring I cannot get off my finger and am hoping that is not going to be a problem. Plus, I cannot find out the number to make the appointment. Does anyone know what the number to make the appointment and also when can I start calling.
Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me. Any info would be appreciated. :) heres some help
To schedule a visit call (631) 852-1893/94 Monday-Friday 8am to 11am, or 12pm to 4pm. Call at least 24 hours in advance, and for the current week only. Walk-in visits must comply with the Odd/Even “alphabet” schedule above. Inmates may have up to two (2) one-hour visits per week.

Sindarla
01-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Also you CAN schedule a back 2 back visit, like 2:30 - 3:30 PM & 4 - 5 PM. This will help those coming from far or just 2 help save on gas. They NO Longer have 1 PM visits, the visits are now 2:30 - 3:30 PM, 4 - 5 PM, 5:45 - 6:45 PM & 7:15 - 8:15 PM. U can also call the Riverhead General Information line at (631) 852 - 2200 to make an appointment, keep calling until it doesn't hang up on you & then dial the appropriate #s for visiting & making an appointment. For those takin the train that hav a long wait, I'd suggest going 2 Tanger Factory Outlet Center by taxi, there are 2 food courts there & u can do a little window shopping there & if you see somethin you lyk u can take a taxi back after your visit(s) to get it & eat if you have time b4 ur train(s) home. Also, I take the bus there wen I go & I've gotten there an hour early & they take my name off the list & let me sit on the "bus" bench they hav until 1/2 an hour b4 the visit starts. Also they can hav up to 5 books & 5 magazines & 15 pictures before they hav to remit 1 out to u on a visit (make sure you let the C.O. at the desk kno so he can take it off) or mail it out so they can receive more. I'm not sure if the amount of T-shirts was rite or if they can have slightly less. They can hav White Or Forrest green sweatpants or sweatshirts (only 2 of each). U can bring up to 2 of the same day's newspapers. Make Sure if ur leaving money that you do so B4 the visit & that it's cash (they Don't give change!), after they stamp ur hand, take the property & assign you a locker they will Not take the money. You can also bring them towels, I think white only & there's size specifications on that, I'm not sure about that, I've Never brung towels. When u go there be sure & pick up a pamphlet at the front desk that will explain what u can bring, wear & more. The newest thing I heard them say is No shirts that zip all the way down. And Don't say anything smart 2 them or u could risk getting a no-contact visit or No visit at all, Even if they're smart with u!