View Full Version : General Info on Pack 1 in Navasota

bewilderedmom
03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Hello all

I received a letter today from my son saying he was tranfered to Pack 1 in Navasota. When I go to "unit specific forums" then "pack prison unit" I do not see any general info. Am I looking in the right place? I was about to send a letter to him today at Byrd Unit when I got his letter today & would like to just send directly to Pack Unit. Does anyone have any Info, mailing address, visitation etc... Thank you!

marietx
03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
The mailing address at Pack is:

Pack #1
2400 Wallace Pack Rd
Navasota, TX 77868

It is a pretty quiet, calm unit...

Let me know what questions you have!

marietx
03-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Also, here is how visitation works there:

When you pull onto Wallace Pack road, you come to a small little shack with a stop sign. Get out of the car with your drivers license, show it to the guard, open up your hood, car doors and trunk and let him glance in. The guard will fill out your info, ask who you are visiting and for his #, then have you sign. Then you can head on to the unit. You will come to a fork in the road where you turn left, then turn left into the parking lot. Visitors park on the left once you pull in (employees on the right). You then walk towards the gate and there is another little building. Go in there, give them your license, his #, etc. and they will look it up in the computer. Then they will ask you to stretch out your arms and they will first "wand" you and then will pat search you. You will have to take off your shoes. No all-white clothes. No see-thru. No sleeveless. No holes in your jeans. No flip flops. Those are the basics. So they will approve you and then you walk back out. Right by the entrance gate there is a camera. Hold your license up to it and they will open the gate for you. You have to close the first gate behind you before the second gate will unlock. If you have a contact visit, you then take a right and walk through the outdoor picnic area tables to the door. Go in there and let the guard check your license and tell you which table you are at. You can then get goodies from the vending machines there or go back to the regular building (back through the picnic tables then to the right) and in there there is a machine with gatorades/juices as well as a machine with heat-up foods like philly cheesesteak sandwiches, hot pockets, burgers, etc. Kinda expensive--$2-$3 each. But my husband loves them!!! You can take up to $20 in change in a clear baggie as well as your DL and car keys. Then go take your food to your seat and wait for him! :) They typically give you a 5-minute warning that your visit is almost over. Then when you leave, go back out the way you came. You will have to show your license again to get the gate to unlock but you don't have to revisit the station outside the gate....just go on to your car. Then when you are leaving the property you have to stop at that outer checkpoint again. Don't have to show your license but they will want to look under the hood/in the trunk again.

Hope that helps!

bewilderedmom
03-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Thank you that helps alot. I will change the address on my letter to the Pack 1 address & get it in the mail today. My son will be so shocked I got this letter to him so fast. Do you have a loved one at Pack 1? Is there more then one Pack #2 #3? My son got his S2 at the end of Dec. & was hoping to go to a trustee camp, is pack 1 a trustee camp?

ReggiesLady
03-09-2009, 02:10 PM
There is a Pack II but it is now called the Luther Unit. It will be up to the Pack I Unit Classification Committee on whether he is assigned to the trustee camp or not.

bewilderedmom
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Each unit has a trustee camp, is that what you mean? So once he gets there, he could be assigned to Pack 1's trustee camp, awsome!! Thanks for the Info.!

RobinsMan
03-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I know that every unit does not have a trusty camp and though I am not sure about Pack I don't think that it does. Each unit may have outside trusty's but those at units without a trusty camp live inside the fence with all the others but can work outside with minimal supervision. A cousin of mine is at Pack 1 because he is on the older side, getting pretty frail and on 100% disability in the free world because of damage to his lungs. My understanding is that Pack is real laid back and houses many inmates that have special health needs.

bewilderedmom
03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
OK, learning more, I was not even sure what a trustee camp was. Thanks for the info.

bewilderedmom
03-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know approx. population in Pack 1? My son is 27 yrs old and has no special needs. I am so glad he is going to a laid back unit!!!!!

GraysonMom
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Here is a link for Pack 1 unit. It has the population and additional information as well. Hope this helps and God bless as always.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/unitdirectory/p1.htm

Pearl1218
03-09-2009, 04:25 PM
My man has been at Pack for several years. I have never visited another prison. So, I don't have anything to compare it to. However, he has been in Diboll (spelling?) and at Richmond. Comparitively speaking Pack is one of the better units in TDCJ. I have never felt uneasy or unsafe while visiting. I am sure stuff occurs there, it is a prison after all, but I don't think it's as prevalent as at other units. Hope that helps.Warm Regards,Pearl

bewilderedmom
03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Thank you Graysonmom, that info was great. Pearl thanks for putting my mind at ease. Everyone has been so helpful, I really appreciate it.

WilcoMom
05-10-2009, 08:06 AM
My son was just transferred to Luther. I know Luther and Pack are co-located, but are they close together? The addresses are different, but the addresses are on small roads more line lanes, probably re-named and not on Mapquest or yahoo maps. I'm wondering if it's convenient to share rides with someone between Luther and Pack? Thanks for any info!

jenlyn70
05-16-2009, 06:18 AM
I know they are both in Navasota. I visit my husband at Pack I. I have never seen any signs for the Luther (formerly Pack II) Unit. I have gone through town and to the grocery store, dollar store, etc. Never see any sign of Luther.

armywife41709
05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
My step dad went to prison back in the early 2000's and i have gotten letters and cards from him. But all of a sudden they stopped.

The last letter i got was july of 2006 in Navasota at Pack I. But I went to the inmate locator and it couldnt find him. I know he wasnt due to get out until 2010 or so.

What can I do to try and locate him???

thanks

Jessica

GraysonMom
05-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Jessica, other than checking the Locator Site, you could call the last unit he was on. Here is another link with links to county, BOP, and other locations to look for him. I hope you locate him and keep us posted. Oh, could he have gotten out early?

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/offender_information.htm#not

lopez482
05-20-2009, 10:09 PM
My step dad went to prison back in the early 2000's and i have gotten letters and cards from him. But all of a sudden they stopped.

The last letter i got was july of 2006 in Navasota at Pack I. But I went to the inmate locator and it couldnt find him. I know he wasnt due to get out until 2010 or so.

What can I do to try and locate him???

thanks

Jessica

If the online sites don't help, call Huntsville directly and speak with live person so you may get all your questions answered.

armywife41709
05-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Well i got an email back from the department of corrections and they told me he passed away in July 2008.

so my search is over.

GraysonMom
05-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Well i got an email back from the department of corrections and they told me he passed away in July 2008.

so my search is over.

Ohh, I'm so sorry, my thoughts and prayers are with the family.

lopez482
05-22-2009, 12:33 AM

so my search is over.

I'm so sorry to hear that. My very deepest condolences.

onemom
08-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Thank you that helps alot. I will change the address on my letter to the Pack 1 address & get it in the mail today. My son will be so shocked I got this letter to him so fast. Do you have a loved one at Pack 1? Is there more then one Pack #2 #3? My son got his S2 at the end of Dec. & was hoping to go to a trustee camp, is pack 1 a trustee camp?
I'm not sure I am doing this correctly, but wanted you to know there is a trustee camp at Pack 1. My son is there and he says it is "as good as it gets", can go outside and walk around the grounds. I believe that the Pack 1 Unit and the trustee camp are seperate units, but located next to each other.