View Full Version : Did the 85% to 65% law pass?

blessed2bme
04-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey ladies, this one might be one for Kima or Morris1.
Last night I was talking to my man he said that he was talking to a new guy that came in and that a c.o. told him something about that they had enough votes to pass the law about 85% only doing 65% and so on. I know that that has been a rumor for years and we are not getting excited about it But he said that the c.o. this just happened and that a lot of new laws have passed. I don't know we were just curious. I do know that something similar has passed in New York not long ago.

light at end
04-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I haven't heard anything but I'm gonna guess that the answer is "No"

DavidsGirl4Ever
04-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I agree with light at the end...if this law had passed or was even up for a vote, it would have been all over the news.

kima
04-13-2009, 09:40 PM
As far as I know there is nothing pending in legislation that would implement changes to the credit structure. BUT...here is what was recommended by an expert panel (and some of these recomendations are starting to be put into place!):

2b. Replace Work Incentive Program (WIP) credits with statutorily-based good time incentive credits.
This recommendation would allow offenders to earn good time credits based upon statute, rather than program participation. This would provide more equity and certainty to the punishment being handed out by the courts. Table E-5 shows the numbers of prisoners who are statutorily eligible for day-for-day (“good time”) credits and the percentage of their sentences that they are actually serving. Here one can see that on average, prisoners eligible for day-for-day work incentive credits are actually serving over 60% of their sentences when jail credits (the amount time spent in local jails awaiting the disposition of their case(s) and transfers to the CDCR) are added to the calculations (see Table E-5).
If they were receiving day-for-day, their time served in prison would be reduced by a modest 2-4 months. And since Table E-4 shows that there is no relationship between length of stay (at far greater amounts) and recidivism we know this policy would not adversely impact public safety. This conclusion is further buttressed by a large number of studies showing no relationship between length of stay and recidivism rates (NCCD, 2007).
Many other states allow prisoners to receive day-for-day credits statutorily, rather than based on participation in some type of program or work assignment. Indeed before the passage of DSL, California’s laws allowed all prisoners to be eligible for parole at 1/3rd of their sentences thru the application of statutory credits. Returning back to that concept would provide more equity and certainty to the punishment being handed out by the courts.
Table E-5: Percent Time Served For New Court Commitments and Parole Violators with New Terms Only Eligible for Day-for-Day Credits 2006 Release

50% 56,397 31 mos. 7 mos. 12 mos. 19 mos. 61%20% 7,632 58 mos. 5 mos. 42 mos. 50 mos. 84%
15% 5,082 63 mos 9 mos 47 mos 56 mos 89%
Source: CDCR 2006 Release File. 1,572 other releases not shown.
Impact: Assuming that those prisoners now eligible for the WIP day for day credits were to receive them statutorily, the number of prison beds saved would be approximately 14,000. This estimate takes into account the amount of good time that is being revoked by the CDCR for rules infractions. The effects would be even greater if prisoners in the 20% and 15% earning classes who have much longer sentences were to be eligible for the 50% class. Specifically if the 20% earning class was modified to 50%, the long term effects would be approximately 13,000 bed reduction. If applied to the 15% earning class, the bed savings would be approximately 10,000. So if applied to all prisoners, the net effect would be about 37,000 in bed savings.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/News/docs/Expert_Rpt/ExpertPanelRpt_AppendE.pdf

Link to ENTIRE report:
http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/news/ExpertPanel.html

mrs.robertson05
05-16-2009, 09:40 PM
I live in NY and my husband called me tonight and told me that he heard that this law is suppose to be passed, but we too are not getting our hopes up either because I feel if it was passed it would be all over the news by now. I pray the do pass the law. If anyone hears anything in stone PLEASE keep us update on this issue.

2sleepy
05-17-2009, 07:14 AM
I have searched and searched and I cannot find any pending legislation to change this, a recommendation by an 'expert panel' can't change law.

Matt Grey has a great organization, TIPS, maybe he can influence a legislator to introduce legislation to change it- I would suggest that those of you who are affected contact him and see how you could help help get that effort started

mrs.andre
05-18-2009, 03:36 PM
MZ. ANDRE' I HAVE HEARD THAT THE ONES WITH 85% WILL GO DOWN TO 65% AND DUE TO THE CALIFORNIA BUDGET SOMETHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN... DUE TO THE INCIDENT THAT HAPPEN IN OAKLAND, CA (R.I.P.) AND THE OFFICIERS SHOT...OUT OF THAT TRADGEDY SOMETHING GOOD HAS TO HAPPEN...AND DUE TO MY HUSBAND DOING THE SAME 85% I PRAY THAT THIS WILL HAPPEN... ITS THE TIME FRAME THAT US FAMILY WILL BE MORE CONCERN ABOUT... THE LOW LEVEL INMATES WILL BE RELEASE FIRST... AND WE ALL KNOW THAT IF THE BUDGET WHEN AND DO PASS... ON MONDAY, THE INMATES WILL NOT BE RELEASE ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST WANT FOR THE TIME FRAME TO GO DOWN AND LET MY HUSBAND COME HOME... I HAVE BEEN WAITING LIKE A HEBREW SLAVE FOR "MY MAN, MY LOVER, MY KING".....so all of us pray pray pray..... and for the ones that will be getting out and go back to doing wrong.....GOD IS WATCHING YOU.... AND IF THE LAW DONT GET YOU.... THE LORD WILL GET YOU.....UNTIL LATER

djpurity
05-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I really hope so too... my sweetie is doing 85% as a violent offender, and I'd love to hear that he is coming home to me sooner. I've heard this rumor for some time now, but I also have heard that it is "merely a recommendation" and not legislation.

This is insane. My bf is being sent out of state now bc Cali prisons are too overcrowded. When your home state prison system is overcrowded and you have to send out your prisoners to multiple locations over many other states, SOMETHING is WRONG. It can't be that these are all horrible people... it's just all a horrible system!

Yeah it was crazy what happened here in Oakland about the 4 officers who died trying to catch a parolee after a traffic stop. This was my friend's bf's nephew who shot those officers and died in the end himself. She said the entire family is receiving death threats and is being harrassed. But doesn't this show that if a man would kill another man to stay out of prison, then something truly horrible must have happened to drive him to that point of fear?

kima
05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Wasn't he looking at a rape charge of a 12 year old? I thought there was DNA that came through that same week he shot those officer's that belonged to him. If he was guilty of that rape, then I would say that something truly horrible DID happen, and he was the cause of it happening. I may be able to (hypothetically) come up with a few excuses for why he shot those police, but I could never find an excuse for raping a 12 year old. Maybe he was worried about going back to prison, but from what I've read, he was exactly the type of criminal who SHOULD be in prison!

Instead we fill our prisons up with people who've committed non-violent low-level pissant crimes. Many of them go in with drug or mental health problems but they receive no rehab programming, no anger management classes, no educational instruction and no job training skills while they're locked up. Then the public is shocked and outraged when these same people come out hardened criminals.

Like I said, I could find a few reasons that may have led him to the shootings, including having a fear of going back to prison. But while prison turns many people into hardened criminals, it doesn't turn a person into a child rapist. That's something else entirely...

agrlsparky
05-27-2009, 06:19 PM
You go Kima!!

Our prisons should be reserved for the MOST serious offenders!!! Some people should be locked up for a very, very long time. Anyone who takes the innocence of a child in any way, shape, or form qualifies in my world.

However, we have overcrowded our prisons with men and women who have done very minor crimes, have substance abuse problems, and could be helped with the right programs and rehabilitation.

We need to get our priorities straight and decide who are we going to incarcerate and who are we comfortable living next door to.

mrs.andre
06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Has n.e 1 heard about the lawsuit against "c.d.c." about the scanning machines? It has been about i'll say 5-6 years, and i know that the suit won, meaning that the "c.d.c." cant have n.e. More scanning machine that does the whole body like an x.ray.... But the compensation of it is what i am waiting on... They could just release my honey..."ummm, ummm, good" and i'll call it even... If you guys hear n.e. Thing on this could u plz pst a thread so we can know.... Until later.... Be bless...n remeber god loves u...

KarenG
10-29-2010, 06:56 PM
by any chance did this law pass where inmates serve 60% of their sentence?

Thanks
Karen

Shari
10-29-2010, 07:37 PM
No law has been passed or even talked about in reference to people only serving 60% sorry.