View Full Version : "Good Time" for inmates...new law?

harlequin10
05-16-2009, 10:32 AM
My boyfriends has a little over a year left till he comes home to me and he mentioned that there was a new law passed for inmates that allow them "good time" for flat time sentences if it's their first offense and are taking classes for improvement. I've been doing research on the web to find this law and find out what I need to do to get him home to me ASAP! We'd like to start our lives together and even though he doesn't have much time left in prison, every month... every day... every minute counts. He's been taking classes for the past six months, so that should earn him something right???!!?:idea:

I'm new to Prison Talk and it seemed like the easiest ways to get some answers and some guidance. If anyone has any information for me please let me know! Thanks!

robslove30
05-22-2009, 08:38 PM
the same kind of thing is being discussed in Iowa, but no one really seems to have any concrete information. Wish I could provide more information for you!

titiqueen4eva
05-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Is he in state or fed

cyr2002
05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
i wanna know the same thing i heard is something that past some years ago in NY. i think its called the rockerfeller law. or drug law something i googled it and ithink its wat u are talking about. as far as what i understood it allows inmates in prisons with GOOD behaivor and no prior felony convictions to have their sentences revoked (cleared or ended)
or their sentences reduced. This will also allow illigals to be deported.
i dont know all the details yet but i hope that the gov does something. i think another part to it will include also that if the sentence is reduce they will make it obligatory for the inmate whos offence is drug related to go to a rehave program because its belived that the drug charge offender will usuly make that type of offense because he she used to be or is a drug addict. i think all the states should allow this. its still in congress .

PEOLE PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT IT PLEASE POST IT!!! I ALSO NEED THE 411 ON THIS.

Charlie'sGirl
06-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Does anyone have any information on early release for california prisons? Do you know which inmates they are releasing?? Anything will help! Please
thanks
marta

tdmj1
06-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry I don't have any info for you. I'm new to this as well and I am looking for info on Kentucky laws so if anyone knows anything about Kentucky and any laws changing especially to the PFO law please let me know!!! Goodluck and God Bless!!!!

tdmj1
06-04-2009, 07:06 PM
the same kind of thing is being discussed in Iowa, but no one really seems to have any concrete information. Wish I could provide more information for you!
God you are so lucky!!! Our time just began were on month 5 of 10 flat

Fye4Ever
08-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Im wondering the same thing about fla.

lin787
08-29-2009, 03:16 PM
forever, a HR was just passed about some of these issues, but there is no early out. It is not even a bill yet.

I think I got this right

a4nschic2012
11-16-2009, 05:16 PM
The Good Time Statute - taking days off an offenders sentence as a result of conduct and behavior in accordance with the institutional rules. In 1817 New York was the first state to pass the Good Time Statute. The rules throughout the nation were firm and fairly straightforward, even though they varied from state to state. New York's statute enabled the correctional administration to reduce by 1/4 the time of any prisoner sentenced to imprisonment for not less than 5 years.

Basically what this says is that if a prisoner is sentenced for more than 5 years, if he behaves well, he is eligible for 1/4 off his sentence.

Also, the Rockefeller Law is in regards to drugs, instituted in May 1973. It basically said that if you are caught with drugs, any amount, you will go to prison for a minimum of 5 years. This was recently abolished because of the extreme-ity of it.

debbylynn45mc
11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
my son is in ohio prision he gets 1 day a month good time.

sabb266
11-16-2009, 06:24 PM
My husband is in West Virginia at the Morgantown FCI - he was convicted of wire fraud and sentenced to four years - this is his first offense of any kind - Does anyone know what I can do to get him out sooner? Where do I start?

TSua
11-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Believe it or not, the Matthew Shepard "Hate Crime Prevention Act" was slipped into the recently new law called the "National Defense Authorization Act of 2009"... This is what my baby was telling me but it took some EXTENSIVE research to find it... It appears to be somewhat hidden... who knows, maybe for political reasons... Frankly I don't care, it will benefit my baby among alot of others in Federal Prison (not sure exactly if it's state as well). I found some pending USC titles/sections which made me realize that after years of talk, it's finally a reality...

This bill has become law. It was signed by Barack Obama. [Last Updated: Nov 13, 2009 9:33PM]
Last Action: Oct 28, 2009: Became Public Law No: 111-84
Other Titles:
-- Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act
-- Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act
-- Military Commissions Act of 2009
-- Military Construction Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010
-- Non-Foreign AREA Act of 2009
-- Non-Foreign Area Retirement Equity Assurance Act of 2009
-- Success in Countering Al Qaeda Reporting Requirements Act of 2009
-- Victims of Iranian Censorship Act
-- VOICE Act
Division E (hate crimes, and for other purposes)
* Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act
Expanded federal hate crime law to include crimes motivated by a victim's actual or perceived gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.

The Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act is intended to address two serious limitations in the reach of the current Federal hate crimes statutes--principally, 18 U.S.C. Sec. 245 (Interference with Federally Protected Activities) and 42 U.S.C. 3631 (Interference with Housing). Enacted in 1968, these statutes prohibit violent hate crimes in a limited set of contexts, based on animus against the victim's race, color, religion, or national origin. 2

TSua
11-18-2009, 01:41 AM
SEC. 3. AMENDMENTS RELATED TO TITLE 18, UNITED STATES CODE.
Title 18, United States Code, is amended--

18 USC 1963 - Sec. 1963. Criminal penalties
(4) in section 1963(d)(2), by striking `ten days' and inserting `fourteen days';
18 USC 2252 - Sec. 2252A. Certain activities
(5) in section 2252A(c), by striking `10 days' and inserting `14 days';
18 USC 2339 - Sec. 2339B. Providing material
(6) in section 2339B(f)(5)(B)(ii), by striking `10 days' and inserting `14 days';
(7) in section 2339B(f)(5)(B)(iii)(I), by inserting after `trial' the following: `, excluding intermediate weekends and holidays';
(8) in section 2339B(f)(5)(B)(iii)(III), by inserting after `appeal' the following: `, excluding intermediate weekends and holidays';
18 USC 3060 - Sec. 3060. Preliminary examination
(9) in section 3060(b)(1), by striking `tenth day' and inserting `fourteenth day';
18 USC 3432 - Sec. 3432. Indictment and list of jurors and witnesses for prisoner in capital cases
(10) in section 3432, by inserting after `commencement of trial' the following: `, excluding intermediate weekends and holidays,';
18 USC 3509 - Sec. 3509. Child victims' and child witnesses' rights
(11) in section 3509(b)(1)(A), by striking `5 days' and inserting `7 days'; and

Here's the whole list, you could look it up yourself if you like

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `Statutory Time-Periods Technical Amendments Act of 2009'.
SEC. 2. AMENDMENTS RELATED TO TITLE 11, UNITED STATES CODE.
Title 11, United States Code, is amended--
(1) in section 109(h)(3)(A)(ii), by striking `5-day' and inserting `7-day';
(2) in section 322(a), by striking `five days' and inserting `seven days';
(3) in section 332(a), by striking `5 days' and inserting `7 days';
(4) in section 342(e)(2), by striking `5 days' and inserting `7 days';
(5) in section 521(e)(3)(B), by striking `5 days' and inserting `7 days';
(6) in section 521(i)(2), by striking `5 days' and inserting `7 days';
(7) in section 704(b)(1)(B), by striking `5 days' and inserting `7 days';
(8) in section 749(b), by striking `five days' and inserting `seven days'; and
(9) in section 764(b), by striking `five days' and inserting `seven days'.
SEC. 3. AMENDMENTS RELATED TO TITLE 18, UNITED STATES CODE.
Title 18, United States Code, is amended--
(1) in section 983(j)(3), by striking `10 days' and inserting `14 days';
(2) in section 1514(a)(2)(C), by striking `10 days' each place it appears and inserting `14 days';
(3) in section 1514(a)(2)(E), by inserting after `the Government' the following: `, excluding intermediate weekends and holidays,';
(4) in section 1963(d)(2), by striking `ten days' and inserting `fourteen days';
(5) in section 2252A(c), by striking `10 days' and inserting `14 days';
(6) in section 2339B(f)(5)(B)(ii), by striking `10 days' and inserting `14 days';
(7) in section 2339B(f)(5)(B)(iii)(I), by inserting after `trial' the following: `, excluding intermediate weekends and holidays';
(8) in section 2339B(f)(5)(B)(iii)(III), by inserting after `appeal' the following: `, excluding intermediate weekends and holidays';
(9) in section 3060(b)(1), by striking `tenth day' and inserting `fourteenth day';
(10) in section 3432, by inserting after `commencement of trial' the following: `, excluding intermediate weekends and holidays,';
(11) in section 3509(b)(1)(A), by striking `5 days' and inserting `7 days'; and
(12) in section 3771(d)(5)(B), by striking `10 days' and inserting `14 days'.
SEC. 4. AMENDMENTS RELATED TO THE CLASSIFIED INFORMATION PROCEDURES ACT.
The Classified Information Procedures Act (18 U.S.C. App.) is amended--
(1) in section 7(b), by striking `ten days' and inserting `fourteen days';
(2) in section 7(b)(1), by inserting after `adjournment of the trial,' the following: `excluding intermediate weekends and holidays,'; and
(3) in section 7(b)(3), by inserting after `argument on appeal,' the following: `excluding intermediate weekends and holidays,'.
SEC. 5. AMENDMENT RELATED TO THE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT.
Section 413(e)(2) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 853(e)(2)) is amended by striking `ten days' and inserting `fourteen days'.
SEC. 6. AMENDMENTS RELATED TO TITLE 28, UNITED STATES CODE.
Title 28, United States Code, is amended--
(1) in section 636(b)(1), by striking `ten days' and inserting `fourteen days';
(2) in section 1453(c)(1), by striking `not less than 7 days' and inserting `not more than 10 days'; and
(3) in section 2107(c), by striking `7 days' and inserting `14 days'.
SEC. 7. EFFECTIVE DATE.
The amendments made by this Act shall take effect on December 1, 2009.

TSua
11-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Sorry guy's, unable to post the URL's for the references...

TSua
11-18-2009, 02:07 AM
Hit me up if you want to reference links....

Carol b
11-29-2009, 11:19 PM
My daughter is incarcerated,and has said that a new law is out to let low risk inmates out early. Im looking for any info on this law. any info would be great!

m&s61402
03-14-2010, 01:15 AM
my loved one is going to federal prison for 4-5yrs he is a alien resident will he be able to get out a little sooner for good behavior? is there such thing as good behavior in federal prison someone please help! thank you

TSua
03-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Not really. Just got to wait to the sentencing commission submits new recommendations and if approved, congress must act upon it or itll go into effect by defult on nov. 2011. Mandatory minimums are said to be chanced as well. Cant wait to see what they submit to congress.....

abigail05
03-16-2010, 06:15 PM
my loved one is going to federal prison for 4-5yrs he is a alien resident will he be able to get out a little sooner for good behavior? is there such thing as good behavior in federal prison someone please help! thank you
yes there is such thing called "good behavior" in federal prison. right now the inmates have to serve 85% of there time, they are trying to pass hr1475 to increase good time to 65%.
you can google hr1475 and it will give you all of the details.

Dale614
03-16-2010, 10:09 PM
What does this mean exactly?

abigail05
03-17-2010, 02:11 AM
in the federal system we do not have any parole, all we have is good time. right now the inmates have to serve 85 % of there sentence. if they are bad they loose the good time they have earned, and have to serve 100% of there sentence. but for the ones who are good and do not get into trouble congressman davis introduced a bill that is in congress right now that increases good time to 65%, it has not been passed into a law but we are hopeing and praying to does soon. everyone needs to contact there congressman to get support from them, here is a petition that you fill out and it automaticly sends a support letter to your congressman and the president
here is the link to the petition http://criminaljustice.change.org/actions/view/co-sponsor_hr_1475_good_time_bill
if you havent already done this, please do!!

fingerscrossed.
03-27-2010, 08:57 PM
the Good Time Bill ... is that only for federal prison, or state prison also? If it is only for fed time, does anyone know about the good time statue for state prisons?? Specifically NY?

Thankss..

patchouli
03-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Every state is different when figuring time....in Ky it's 15% before you're eliglible for parole for class d felonies, 20% for class c, b, a felonies and 85% for violent offenders. Check in the forums for your home state for state specific information. Here is the link: New York (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)

EDIT: The "good time" bill is Federal.

babyguz1
04-03-2010, 11:46 AM
texas gets good time plus flat time equal flat time but not for aggravated, sexual, and crimes like that.

CandyLove
04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Does anyone have any information on early release for california prisons? Do you know which inmates they are releasing?? Anything will help! Please
thanks
marta

A three judge panel ordered CA to reduce the prison population by 40,000 within the next two years. They say most sex offenders and violent ofenders do not qualify...I'm unable to post links or url's, but refer to the California department of corrections and rehabilitation website. they post updates daily on the new prison reform and info on the new good time credits. Girl I follow them on facebook, and twitter. I stay checkin for updates...Let me know if you have any problems maybe I can just copy and paste an article for you.

cleeh5
04-08-2010, 06:18 PM
My husband is in West Virginia at the Morgantown FCI - he was convicted of wire fraud and sentenced to four years - this is his first offense of any kind - Does anyone know what I can do to get him out sooner? Where do I start?

Did you get any information? My significant other is scheduled to self-report to Morgantown on 4/19/2010. He was sentenced to 18 months (signed a plea re: attempt/theft of trade secret).

cetta68
05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Any body know what' going on in Illinois with the good time? My husband keeps hearing all kinds of things.

tammy4bama
12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
i wanna know the same thing i heard is something that past some years ago in NY. i think its called the rockerfeller law. or drug law something i googled it and ithink its wat u are talking about. as far as what i understood it allows inmates in prisons with GOOD behaivor and no prior felony convictions to have their sentences revoked (cleared or ended)
or their sentences reduced. This will also allow illigals to be deported.
i dont know all the details yet but i hope that the gov does something. i think another part to it will include also that if the sentence is reduce they will make it obligatory for the inmate whos offence is drug related to go to a rehave program because its belived that the drug charge offender will usuly make that type of offense because he she used to be or is a drug addict. i think all the states should allow this. its still in congress .

PEOLE PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT IT PLEASE POST IT!!! I ALSO NEED THE 411 ON THIS.
I have been looking for this information as well for my son and from what I have found they can get good time even if they have 2sentances running together.My ex-husband had done good-time yrs.bk.Now they can get good time up to a 50yr.sentance from what I am reading.Which means if they get 10yrs.then they would EOS in 18mos.on good time.

saulsmom
12-27-2010, 07:11 PM
I have been looking for this information as well for my son and from what I have found they can get good time even if they have 2sentances running together.My ex-husband had done good-time yrs.bk.Now they can get good time up to a 50yr.sentance from what I am reading.Which means if they get 10yrs.then they would EOS in 18mos.on good time.

where did you hear this give me info please son got 8 years on computer charge no victim where is this...????

PTO-97580
12-28-2010, 07:25 PM
This thread is now closed. It started out as a question regarding Louisiana goodtime and has gone off topic asking about Federal as well as other states.

If you have a question regarding goodtime laws/statutes in a specific state or Federal please start a new thread!

PTO-97580
12-28-2010, 07:28 PM
This thread is now closed. It started out as a question about Louisiana Goodtime Statutes and has gone off topic asking about other state as well as Federal

If you have a question about goodtime statutes in a specific jurisdiction, please start a new thread