View Full Version : Questions Re: SSI benefits upon release?

jjbird77
05-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Hello and thank you for the welcome letter. I have a question regarding this memo my boyfriend recieved while encarcerated at Camp Trinity. Please see below:

Go immediately upon release to the nearest Social Security Office and ask to speak to a counselor so that you can apply for social security inurance emergency supplement benefits of $1500.00. Explain that you are emotionally and mentally unprepared to hold a job, show then your parole or mandatory release papers, in order to prove you are just out of prison. (NOTE you should receive a check within 72 hours) While at the office, fill out the necessary forms for the $310.00 monthly disability benefits for every month you were incarcerated.
Now, go to the nearest WELFARE DEPARTMENT OFFICE and apply for the GENERAL RELIEF. Again show them your parole or mandatory release papers as proof that you are just out of prison. Tell them you need financial assistance immediately! A check should be issued to you within 2 hours. It should be for approximately $150.00. Also, apply for FOOD STAMPS while you are there you should recieve about $110.00 worth while you are there be sure to obtain your medical card for health protection benefits. (NOTE this card can be used at any doctor's office)

SSI
a. $1500.00-one time payment
b. $300.00-3 months payment
c. $228.00-per month payment
d. $168.00-per month payment

VOCATIONAL
a. $1900.00-for auto expense
b. $300.00-for work clothes
c. $400.00-for casual clothes
d. $$$$$-for work tools

UPON YOUR RELEASE :
1. About two months prior to release send a letter to the regional director of the social security department asking for an application for $980.00 under SSI. Tell him you have seen and been approved for parole or your release date and city you will be living in. You can't receive benefits while in prison, but your letter serves as an application. Under RCW 74.29.205, RCW 72.02.040 and Public Law 93.365.92.603 as an ex-convict you are classified as a disadvantaged minority. (IF YOU HAVE A JOB WAITING YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS BENEFIT)
2. Under the same citations as quoted in #1, you can write the DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES in your city or county, to get a list for LOW INCOME HOUSING.
3. Upon your release if you have no job waiting you can go to the Dept. of Social Services and apply for food stamps. Approximately $180.00 is available if you qualify.
4. Even if you rent a room if your income is below a certain level you are eligible in many states for a one time a year fuel assistance payment through your social services.
5. To help you get a job in the trade in which you are qualified and the job requires tools and/or special clothing, go to the DEPARTMENT OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION.
6. If you wish to start your own business, the SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATIONS can help. You must present a business plan to at least three banks and be turned down by them before approaching the SBA. The SBA can loan you up to $24,000.00 which the SBA guarantees to the bank. Under the retired businessman plan a sucessful small business owner, (who is retired) will help you formulate your business plan at no charge. They will also loan you up to $1000.00 more if a work vehicle is needed of course you must present a business plan which shows a chance for success.
7. Under the dept. of labor insurance plan, the government will ensure your bonding if needed for a job.
8. Targeted JOB TAX CREDITS is a benefit for the employers willing to hire ex-convicts. The employer will receive a $3000.00 "TAX WRITE OFF" the first year and a $1500.00 one the next. If the employer is training you in a skill the government will pay half of your wages for the first year, in addition to the tax-cut the employer receives.
9. As an ex-convict you are classified as a disadvantaged minority, thus you are eligible for vocational training schooling, as well as the benefits mentioned above. (YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF THE FACT THAT MANY STATE AND FEDERALLY OPERATED PROGRAMS DON'T WANT TO BE BOTHERED WITH EX-CONVICTS, IN SUCH CASES ALWAYS BRING THE PROPER LAWS AND DOCUMENTS STATING YOU ARE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE THESE BENEFITS.)

DO THIS WITHIN TEN DAYS OF YOUR RELEASE
Go to the STATE REHABILITATION CENTER where you can apply for various federally funded loans and grants.
If you want to start a small business make a list of the approx. cost of all equipment you will need. (i.e. tools, work clothes, etc.) and an estimate for how much operating cash you will need to start up the business. Until it starts to make a living for you. They may loan you up to $50,000.00
If you need to be bonded for employment by a private employer you can obtain the bond from and US district Court. Go to the probation and parole department it should take less than an hour to have the validated forms in your hand. You are qualified because you are on SSI. The WELFARE DEPT. will automatically send you $228.00 per month for financial assistance and utility. SSI is the same in every state!
A. Go to the DEPT. OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION because you are on SSI
B. A convicted felon is a depressed minority. You also qualify for a certain benefit package. The amount of this package is $1900.00 to be used for a down payment on a vehicle. The car must be used to go back and forth to work.
C. You will also receive $300.00 for clothing on the job and another $400.00 for tools. These are grants and DO NOT have to be paid back.

My boyfriend asked his PO about this and she stated that due to the economy there are no such programs. She also stated that any money you recieve from your parole is considered a loan and you will be required to pay it back. My boyfriend does not qualify for SSI, FS, GR, or Mecical due to drug related charges. He's going to school but hasn't been able to find a job so any help for him would be great. Please let me know if you have any advice or suggestions. Thaks again and have a fabulous day! :confused: :confused: :confused:

2sleepy
05-22-2009, 08:05 AM
this is all bad information, apparently it has made it's rounds in several states..the two RCW codes are from Washington state and don't actually state what this letter claims, there is no 'public law'. No one hands out retroactive payments for the time someone is incarcerated, SSI stops during incarceration. Qualifying for SSI can take months, even years- it is not enough to just go say I just got out of prison and can't work.

This is a cruel hoax, people read this and think they are going to get all this free money and it just is not going to happen. This same letter was posted on the Texas forums here in 2004 http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52299
Here's some information on snopes about it:
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?p=589597

Shari
05-22-2009, 08:42 AM
One thing you stated that is incorrect is that your husband can qualify for medical even with a drug charge. My guy had a drug charge and he was not able to get Food Stamps or GA, but he was able to get Medical. At the time of his release he did not have his son so he was getting county medical benifits. He now has his son so he is able to get Food Stamps for his son and they are both on Medical. He has not tried for any money assistantance so I do not know if he can get that or not.

bincita
05-22-2009, 11:50 AM
:yes: Yep. Urban legend. Although there would probably be less crime if they would develop some programs for the recently incarcerated folks.

Shari
05-22-2009, 02:10 PM
:yes: Yep. Urban legend. Although there would probably be less crime if they would develop some programs for the recently incarcerated folks.

I totally agree. My guy has been out since Oct. and he has not been able to find any work yet. What with the fact that he was on parole and the economy it is not a very good mixture. He was offered a job at Walmart and he told the person doing the interview all about his backgroun. She said that is ok and sent him for the drug test and did the background check. Well after waiting about three weeks to hear back from them (mean while calling every day and being told do not worry about it) he finally hears back that Corp. said he can not be hired casue of his background check. He has two sons to support and because of his charge can not get many benifits. He is luckly able to collect food stamps for the kids, but besides that I have to help support his household out there and mine here and believe me it is not very easy. I can not wait until he gets off parole (hopefully Nov.) and he can move here and it will make things a lot easier. There needs to be some time of program to help these guys or they will just go back to what they know and end up back in if there is no one willing to help them out.

2sleepy
05-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Walmart pulls that crap all the time..but I know for a fact that Costco has hired felons, also the oil refineries in the bay area (and the contractors that do jobs in the refineries) hire felons

Tricksie2645
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
I think the rules for food stamps vary from county to county. My son was not able to get General Assistance due to a previous drug charge, but with proof of negative drug test, he was able to get food stamps. He does not have custody of his daughter, so he cannot get medi-cal, but is able to get indigent medical care from the county. Check with the local agencies where he will be living and see what he will actually be able to qualify for.

Mrs.760
12-03-2011, 03:59 PM
This is what the original poster was referring to (attatched), it was given to my husband before he paroled and we also picked up a copy at the Parole Office.

If you go to the SSI website it mentions those who were incarcerated and it was an option when we filled out the forms.

Here is the link that you go to for info the on the prerelease procedure (http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/spotlights/spot-prerelease.htm)through SSI

2sleepy
12-05-2011, 09:09 AM
This is what the original poster was referring to (attatched), it was given to my husband before he paroled and we also picked up a copy at the Parole Office.

If you go to the SSI website it mentions those who were incarcerated and it was an option when we filled out the forms.

Here is the link that you go to for info the on the prerelease procedure (http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/spotlights/spot-prerelease.htm)through SSI
I can't imagine why parole would give out that fake memo unless they are just being intentionally cruel, it's a hoax...Yes, you can apply for SSI but being incarcerated is not a 'reason' to get SSI, you have to be permanently disabled, and it's not easy to qualify for it and usually takes a minimum for 4-5 months, most people who apply NEVER get it. The laws quoted in that file you attached either do not exist, or the actual text of the law is much different than what is stated.

karma26
12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
I was on ssi before I went to prison for 2yrs got out and found out benefits were terminated!! Now I'm. Reapplying all over again its been 15mths and I'm at the hearing level.I went to my hearing and the judge was supa rude.I have lupus sle and I'm in need of a hip replacement he have sent me to. 2 more docters I'm soo nervous!! I need answers ...will I get my ssi back??plz help!!

2sleepy
12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
I was on ssi before I went to prison for 2yrs got out and found out benefits were terminated!! Now I'm. Reapplying all over again its been 15mths and I'm at the hearing level.I went to my hearing and the judge was supa rude.I have lupus sle and I'm in need of a hip replacement he have sent me to. 2 more docters I'm soo nervous!! I need answers ...will I get my ssi back??plz help!!
I have no idea, I didn't even know they did that but I just looked it up and found out they terminate your SSI benefits if you are in prison for more than one year. Maybe you can call an attorney? There are plenty of them who specialize in SSI and SSDI and they don't charge an upfront fee, I guess they take part of your back SSI if it is restored.

karma26
12-15-2012, 08:17 PM
I have no idea, I didn't even know they did that but I just looked it up and found out they terminate your SSI benefits if you are in prison for more than one year. Maybe you can call an attorney? There are plenty of them who specialize in SSI and SSDI and they don't charge an upfront fee, I guess they take part of your back SSI if it is restored. thanx sleepy but yeah the judge denied me of benefits..how cud this be when i was approved before prison??:mad: the system is sooo unfair !! have anyone else been thru this?? plz explain thanx

2sleepy
12-15-2012, 11:54 PM
It's the law, you just need to appeal the denial. Why don't you find an attorney who specializes in SSI/SSDI cases, their payment will come from a percentage of the retroactive benefits if you win.

S.o.A.Fan
12-16-2012, 11:58 AM
I've never heard such a thing. I know if you go to the welfare office, you can get food stamps, but not $. Especially if you have a drug charge. However, you can get medical and resources for food banks. From what the welfare office said you can't get $ unless you have kids *young then 18* ... However, if your a fling felon you only qualify for medical. as for ssi/ssd you won't qualify for it, unless you put $ into the system. This is the information I got directly from the horses mouth. It might be different in other states, but in California that's what they say.

HardHeadedWoman
12-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Im in S.C and my ex was collecting disability. He got a check monthly, his now wife got a check and my youngest son got a check. Once he got to prison they cut the ex's check out and reduced hers and my sons. When he was released he was able to go back to collecting his.

2sleepy
12-16-2012, 08:25 PM
I've never heard such a thing. I know if you go to the welfare office, you can get food stamps, but not $. Especially if you have a drug charge. However, you can get medical and resources for food banks. From what the welfare office said you can't get $ unless you have kids *young then 18* ... However, if your a fling felon you only qualify for medical. as for ssi/ssd you won't qualify for it, unless you put $ into the system. This is the information I got directly from the horses mouth. It might be different in other states, but in California that's what they say.

Well, I'm not making it up; here is what it says: "if your confinement lasts for 12 consecutive months or longer, your eligibility for SSI benefits will terminate and you must file a new application for benefits" and here is a link to the law: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10133.html#a0=2

And, you get SSI without having any qualified wages, you need to have worked for a certain number of quarters to get SSDI

LoveYourself1st
12-16-2012, 09:15 PM
If the OP was true lots of people would volunteer to go to prison.

Mbyrd
12-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Well, I'm not making it up; here is what it says: "if your confinement lasts for 12 consecutive months or longer, your eligibility for SSI benefits will terminate and you must file a new application for benefits" and here is a link to the law: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10133.html#a0=2

And, you get SSI without having any qualified wages, you need to have worked for a certain number of quarters to get SSDI

My son receives SSI benefits. This is referred to as the Welfare of Social Security. Benefits total about $850 per month and are increased annually just like regular Social Security benefits. He was approved on his first application. It took a few months, and benefits were paid retroactively back to the date of his application. He is a drug addict/alcoholic, bipolar, and has a slight neurological deficit in one hand from a head injury. During parole (which he got off in September, yahoo) he was going to be sent to a live in drug rehab facility for 6 months, paid for by the state. His PO said that he would have to report this to Social Security and that benefits would cease for the time he spent in the rehab facility. Unfortunately, since he had financial obligations, he chose a different program.

Momma Ann
12-17-2012, 01:15 PM
SSI is a need based program for disabled,aged or blind people. It is administered by social security but is NOT social security disability. If you have a very small social security check you might get SSI too. They will always check your Social Security disability eligibility if you apply for SSI. No family members get SSI benefits.

2sleepy
12-18-2012, 10:37 AM
my son gets SSDI, he was approved within about 3 months of sending in his application, they did send him to two doctors before they approved him. 1/2 of the amount of his grant goes to his children (they do not reduce his check for that, it's paid in addition to his SSDI) and Momma Ann is correct, on SSI there are no family benefits and there are strict rules about how much income you can have in addition to it, and how many assets you can own.

S.o.A.Fan
12-20-2012, 08:57 PM

I can't open that file right now, but I will take your word for it. I asked about this program like 8 yrs ago n that is what ss said. Now, ssi is a welfare base program n ssd is what you paid into it. *oops you also pay into ssi/ssd I got confused with all these acronyms* If you have both, your higher check will be ssd and the remaining supplemental willow come from ssi. I honesty have know only ppl who were on it who had to prove to ss that they couldn't work anymore. Unless that's change, I am marching my old behind to ss tomorrow...

Sorry for any typos, its this darn smartphone/iPhone keyboard. Sent from my Desire HD phone!

2sleepy
12-20-2012, 10:51 PM
That's true, SSI is for people who never paid enough into Social Security through wages to get disabled benefits. You lose it if you have other income over a very small amount. It's hard to prove you are disabled, hopefully you have good medical records. The requirement for either SSI or SSDI is that you can't do any work at all. So, if you have bad knees they say "too bad, get a job sitting down". You can apply online yourself; or you can get the forms from the SS office, or you can get an attorney to help you, the attorney's fee comes out of any retroactive $ you get.