View Full Version : Care package - Are they allowed in Texas county jails/TDCJ?

stinkum
06-15-2009, 01:30 AM
I'M NOT SURE BUT I WAS ASKED TO FIND OUT IF ANYWHERE IN TX. ANY PRISON OR UNIT ADMITS FOR INMATES TO RECIEVE CARE PACKAGES? I KNOW THAT TDCJ DOSEN'T BUT MAYBE A CERTAIN COUNTY JAIL. IDK. ANYONE KNOW IF THIS MAY BE TRUE? OR MAYBE I CAN GO SEARCHING SOMEWHERE..I LOOKED ALL OVER TDCJ PAGE AND FOUND NOTHING OR MAYBE I WAS LOOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE.

THANKS A BUNCH

GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND YOUR LOVED ONES IN THE INNER WALLS. :o

Tracy
06-15-2009, 06:05 AM
As far as I know, care packages are not allowed, period. Now the privately run units, might be a different story, and I'm sure someone will be along to clarify for us.

All the best and someone should be along soon to help you.

reneehill
06-15-2009, 06:38 AM
No you can't send care packages from home. All you can send are letters and cards. You can order paper, envelopes and notebooks from Office Max and they can send those items to the prison but anything has to come directly from the company. I also order books from Amazon and books from the Christian online bookstore. They will send the items directly from the manufacturer as well .Some companies won't ship to prisons at all so I always call and frind out for sure before I order something.

RobinsMan
06-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Care packages as one would probably think of them can't be sent in Texas. TDC limits what can be sent just as renee mentioned. You can send stationary and books from pretty much any vendor that will deliver by mail though you should be careful to know what is allowed by TDC and what the vendor is actually sending so that it is not contraband. For instance, vendors that are nor familiar with TDC policy might send a writing tablet that is held together by staples and that will be denied. I seriously doubt that companies such as Office Max have people familiar with TDC policy taking orders or filling them perhaps from an internet purchase so, if you buy from them or another large franchise, you should be learn policy and then be careful and specific in what you order. You should also be aware that many books have been deemed contraband by TDC so you should check with them before you send books.

Mark2008
06-16-2009, 04:51 AM
I was shocked to read that other states actually allowed this sort of thing. Talk about an open invitation to send in contraband.

mamajmg
06-16-2009, 07:47 AM
I have heard of one county that allows prepackaged commissary items that can be ordered. They're referred to as care packages on the county web site but never for TDC!

stinkum
06-16-2009, 11:01 PM
thank you to all of you for your info. I knew we can order stuff for them and have it sent. But when i was told about an accuall comissary package/care package. I had to ask.

but thanks again to all.

stinkum
06-16-2009, 11:02 PM
i have heard of one county that allows prepackaged commissary items that can be ordered. They're referred to as care packages on the county web site but never for tdc!

can you tell me what county that would be?

thanks

baby_ bird
06-17-2009, 02:08 AM
in bexar county you can send care packages of comissary items

mamajmg
06-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes, Bexar County. I went to the supplying company for the county - some pretty nice packages and seemed reasonably priced. I'm sorry I don't recall it off the top of my head but you can find the thread under the jail section. If you don't - please let me know and I will pull it up!

WilcoMom
06-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Williamson County allows a 'care package' from church groups. My son received one about 2 weeks before Christmas, and it had blank Christmas cards for him to use, colored pencils, and some small toiletries, etc. as I remember. He didn't have to buy it, it was given by a local church.

stinkum
06-17-2009, 10:35 PM
thanks to all you of. im really glad i can turn to you guys for help. i would have had no idea where to start or look into for something like this.

thanks again

God bless you all!!

luv2ride
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
The I care link has changed thats why it's not coming up..I called and it's now .....bexarcounty.icaredirect. so we can still send our loved ones goodies!

mamajmg
06-27-2009, 04:18 PM
It's been a bit of time since I looked at the web site - does anyone know the type of packages? I'm just curious if they offer variety of products. Just curious

WilcoMom
06-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Now that I think a little harder, I seem to recall seeing somewhere a long list of items available for purchase through commissary, and it included a 'care package.' This listing also provided a way to order/purchase and deliver from a loved one to an inmate. Or is the heat just getting to me .....

this2willpass
07-03-2009, 08:31 PM
can you tell me what county that would be?

thanks

Due to Rules of PTO, I haven't had enough postings to give you the direct website that I use to send care packages to our loved one in Bexar County. But it is called "icaredirect". They have some nice packages and they are less expensive than the commissary. Our brother is in Crystal City now and they do not have it there.:(
God Bless and I wish you and your loved ones the best!

herbley
10-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Are there care packages allowed in Texas Prisons, I heard from an inmate that the rules should be changed soon or should be changed already, I find no information of that on the TDCJ website.

For people in Florida there are now food package and care package allowed, I believe the link is floridapackage.com or something like that, it's easy and fast,

herbley
10-17-2011, 11:36 PM
It's been a bit of time since I looked at the web site - does anyone know the type of packages? I'm just curious if they offer variety of products. Just curious

It all depends the state and what kind of package are offered
it's very different from state to state, it is all going to companies, these companies offer from food packages and care package ( shoes, ... ) but in some states also TV's , games, radios,
When a state allows food and care packages you can in almost all cases make yourself a choice what you like to put into the package, sometimes there is a limit in spending and how many times you are allowed to send a package
In many cases there are different ways to pay, money orders, credit card, ....

Hope this information was a little helpful