View Full Version : Questions re absconding

highlyfavor
07-21-2009, 02:09 PM
when an inmate is charged with absconded, how much time they receive. is it the same as escaped.

Mark2008
07-27-2009, 05:45 PM
In most jurisdictions, absconding is not a crime in and of itself. It is simply a violation of the conditions of one's parole or probation. So you would be sentenced for the original crime, not for absconding, per se.

That's a big difference than escape from custody, which IS a separate crime that most jurisdictions require the sentence to be served ON TOP OF the current sentence.

Absconding is a rather serious violation, because it is considered willful. It's not like having a dirty UA or accidentally missing a meeting or something like that. When you are on parole or probation, your number one priority is to meet with your officer. Period. Repeated failure to do so shows willful neglect and that the person isn't taking his/her responsibility seriously. So why should the court do anything less than send them to jail?

HisBabyMomma
07-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Abscounding is just not reporting, or "being on the run"...When you are on parole and you fail to report to your parole officer, and they go looking for you and can't find you, you will be violated for abscounding. My ex did 6 months...

Onaicult
07-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Abscounding is just not reporting, or "being on the run"...When you are on parole and you fail to report to your parole officer, and they go looking for you and can't find you, you will be violated for abscounding. My ex did 6 months...

do you mind if i ask how long he absconded for? my man is facing those charges, and I'm trying to, I guess see what other people have been sentenced to, so i can prepare myself.

HisBabyMomma
07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
do you mind if i ask how long he absconded for? my man is facing those charges, and I'm trying to, I guess see what other people have been sentenced to, so i can prepare myself.

The longer they "run", or don't report, the worse it is...My ex was running around I think it was just a few weeks...He had a really cool parole officer. He didn't really harass him or give him a hard time. He never came to the house, my ex worked offshore, so he always knew when he had to report. When he caught the abscounding, he was caught out of the county. He wasn't allowed back in his hometown, and someone saw him there that knew he was on parole and called the parole office and told them. They showed up at his moms house and caught him. It all depends on his parole officer, how long he didn't report, and if he picked up any new charges along the way, like if he was dirty, or NEW charges...
PM me if you have any more questions...

Onaicult
07-30-2009, 04:32 PM
The longer they "run", or don't report, the worse it is...My ex was running around I think it was just a few weeks...He had a really cool parole officer. He didn't really harass him or give him a hard time. He never came to the house, my ex worked offshore, so he always knew when he had to report. When he caught the abscounding, he was caught out of the county. He wasn't allowed back in his hometown, and someone saw him there that knew he was on parole and called the parole office and told them. They showed up at his moms house and caught him. It all depends on his parole officer, how long he didn't report, and if he picked up any new charges along the way, like if he was dirty, or NEW charges...
PM me if you have any more questions...

Thanks for the info. Mine was gone 2 years - but ironically was doing everything he was supposed to on probation, except show up and pay the probation fees. No new charges or anything like that - just got picked up at work in another county than where the original charge was. I don't know why I keep trying to research, i guess every case and every judge is different. :) thanks for the info though!

Got2BCyph
07-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Every story is different...Mine got sentenced to probation in the state of Florida while on vacation (nobody ruins a good time like him!)...we came back home to NY and never dealt with it again... now we are quite a few years later...maybe six/seven years or something...he got picked up here in NY at a traffic stop, fugitive warrant for FL cxame up, and he was extradited.

The ride was UGLY...and it took a crazy amount of time to get from here to there... but with a private lawyer..the prosecutor's first offer was MONTHS...

We dreaded Florida for so many years, and living looking over your shoulder is hell..if I knew he wouldn't get that much time, we would hav taken care of it a long time ago...

Sooo many people filled my head with "he could get 5 years..." but don't listen.... pray alot and wait to see what happens..

LOTS of luck!!

JeepJeep
07-30-2009, 06:27 PM
In California absconding generally carries no more then 90 days return to custody. This is assuming that there are no other violations incurred during your absconding or arrest, usually they try for 12 month, the time you get also depends on how well you were complying with parole prior to absconding, and on your criminal history as whole, for certain offenders carrying 2 strikes the could be eligible for only flat time meaning that no time off for good behavior would be credited.

Onaicult
07-30-2009, 06:35 PM
In California absconding generally carries no more then 90 days return to custody. This is assuming that there are no other violations incurred during your absconding or arrest, usually they try for 12 month, the time you get also depends on how well you were complying with parole prior to absconding, and on your criminal history as whole, for certain offenders carrying 2 strikes the could be eligible for only flat time meaning that no time off for good behavior would be credited.

no more than 90 days? i suddenly wish we were in california, instead of texas! :eek: the minimum available for my man's first (and only) offense is 6 months. I'm kind of hoping for county time and then probation reinstatement possibly... but it's texas, so who knows.

bllmett
08-01-2009, 12:20 AM
My hubby just got 5 months with half time for absconding

seansbabyluv
08-01-2009, 04:39 AM
In Colorado it's considered escape from supervision or custody. The sentence can't be longer than the original sentence he was on, but they can also aggravate it depending on the circumstances.

roxNmark4ever
08-13-2009, 10:10 PM
My man absconded for 2 and half years he didn't report a month after he got released from Prison. So when he got arrested I was thinking the worst when he didn't report he still had 6 years on parole.. his parole is out of Ga but he got interstate compact to transfer him here to orlando florida .. When he got arrested Here in florida for rideing a scooter while lisence suspended Ga extradited him after a month severed here.. He got a big break and only has to serve six months. The only reason hs parole offficer tells me that she gave him a break is because he keep and job for 2 years and we have a young child.. So he will be home in Feb 1 2010 soo I'm so grateful for that. if anyone has any questions message me..

Mr Warbucks
11-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Sorry, but that's simply not true. I know from experience that it doesn't matter if you abscond for one day or for ten years, it's still just a straight parole violation, which in Oregon is a 90 day set for the first two times you abscond. the third time you abscond while on the same parole is usually a one year set,however after that year is done, you no longer have to report since they can no longer violate you. In other words they have done the worst they can do to you, so you're finally a free man.

Onaicult
11-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Sorry, but that's simply not true. I know from experience that it doesn't matter if you abscond for one day or for ten years, it's still just a straight parole violation, which in Oregon is a 90 day set for the first two times you abscond. the third time you abscond while on the same parole is usually a one year set,however after that year is done, you no longer have to report since they can no longer violate you. In other words they have done the worst they can do to you, so you're finally a free man.

All 50 states seem to have different laws. What's "true" in one state is "false" in another. In Texas for absconding they can sentence you to your entire sentence if you're on probation, and the remainder of your sentence if you're on parole. However I have seen people in Texas abscond from probation and get their probation reinstated. Just depends on what mood the judge is in that day.

MrsMc
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
my husband absconded from CA and was gone for 5 years. He went back to CA to visit, got picked up, put in county sat there about a month, was sentenced to a PSAPs program (but his original crime wasn't even drug related), then PSAPs was going to be shut down for CA budget reasons, and he was suddenly released from county one night at 11:30 p.m. and put back on parole. So he only did a month.

I don't know about other states, but IMO, there's just no rhyme or reason to anything the state of California does.