View Full Version : List of Felon Friendly Apartments?

Libintia
08-03-2009, 04:13 AM
I know it's soon, but my husband's lawyer said that I need to give the BOP an address that he can be released to when the time comes. The problem right now is that I'm moving in 3 weeks to the south seattle area for school and I can't seem to find felon friendly apartments! I was wondering if anyone knew of any in that area or maybe knew of a list of apartments that allow felons. I know I can just find one for now I guess, but I hate moving and I was hoping to make this apartment the home he comes to when he's released. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so much for your time!

Dustenslastyear
08-04-2009, 12:37 AM
I know it's soon, but my husband's lawyer said that I need to give the BOP an address that he can be released to when the time comes. The problem right now is that I'm moving in 3 weeks to the south seattle area for school and I can't seem to find felon friendly apartments! I was wondering if anyone knew of any in that area or maybe knew of a list of apartments that allow felons. I know I can just find one for now I guess, but I hate moving and I was hoping to make this apartment the home he comes to when he's released. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so much for your time!

Its hard finding apts and houses sometimes that don't have a "felon clause" in the lease. I don't know of any apartment complexes per say but when I did a search for you on the internet, there are several clean and sober transitional housing units available in that area. I know its not the best option, but he may have to use one of those places to make sure he gets out on his ERD if he has to.

In the meantime, I found, until I just bought my house, that for the most part, private owners are easier on this than say your big company owned apartment complexes. look in the paper and bulletin boards for private people renting homes and apartments instead of the phone book and places like that.

Remember though, even though its tempting, and I went through this with my brother, be straight up with them, because get it over with now instead of waiting for that possible issue of eviction if they don't allow felons or some its just the idea of felons living there.

Be honest with them, I know I just wanted to think well they didn't SAY it outright so they must allow felons to live there, but I made myself ask straight up, so my brother will be living with me here, do you have any issues with someone releasing from prison to live here with me if I agree to take full responsiblity for him and his actions? Not wanting to throw the word FELON out the first conversation hehe...don't know if that made a difference but I wanted to let them know I was not hiding it and I would take responsiblity for it up front. The guy I rented from made me sign a form stating I would be responsible, his attorney and mine agreed on it, then I was in.

hope this helps and I hope things work out for you and him :) Just my two cents of what I did. :)

Libintia
08-04-2009, 03:19 AM
That's a great idea! I figured that for right now I'm just going to get a studio for me while I'm in school, then when I get more used to the area, I'm going to start looking for something that's privately owned or possibly getting my own house. I'll be graduating with my bachelor's degree and I'm excited about making a home for him that's ours, but until then I was told I need an address so they have a place to release him to as early as he can. Thank you so much for the idea. I never thought about anything like that and it's now my goal! You rock my socks!

Dustenslastyear
08-04-2009, 08:42 AM
That's a great idea! I figured that for right now I'm just going to get a studio for me while I'm in school, then when I get more used to the area, I'm going to start looking for something that's privately owned or possibly getting my own house. I'll be graduating with my bachelor's degree and I'm excited about making a home for him that's ours, but until then I was told I need an address so they have a place to release him to as early as he can. Thank you so much for the idea. I never thought about anything like that and it's now my goal! You rock my socks!

I am glad that helped. I know at first, I did not like the idea that my guy was going to release to a place called Fresh Start, in Tacoma. However, when I called the man that is in charge of the program there he explained a few things to me. He said, well, here is the big thing you need to think about...he's been in 8 years...hmmm...have you considered the fact that it might be easier if he was around some people for a bit that have gone through what he went through? We can help him get used to the real world, writing checks, paying bills, getting his ID again. We can help with that transition because we were all there too.

Wow. So I asked my guy what he thought about that...he sounded RELIEVED...he said I feel like the person time forgot. I don't remember how to write a check, I don't want you to think I am stupid or something but I haven't drove in 8 years. I said does that scare you? He said yes, more than you know. I said of course, I have not been there so its much more than I know. He sounded like he wanted to do this now, wanted to release there and slowly adjust to "our world" so its a win-win situation for us for sure now. All because I got down to "brass tacks" of finding him a place to release to.

I just bought my house. Its alot of work LOL. Remember, sometimes its better just to keep the apartment for awhile and hold off till your really really really ready for the headaches of a house. :) I found a great deal I couldn't pass up but sometimes being here alone and dealing with all the house issues (fixing stuff, breaking more stuff than I fix, adding to the list of stuff to fix cause I broke it beyond repair trying to fix it, the lawn...oh sometimes I hate my two acres that are hilly on one side, fixing the fence, on and on)...Sometimes I LONG for my apartment...hehe...just my experience though, everyone's is different.

grannyG
08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Good sound advice. That first couple of months, it is great for them to be in that surrounding, learning about the free world again, and having the others to go through it with.

PhilB
08-10-2009, 12:29 AM
DOC has sent out letters to various organizations requesting information on offender housing; cost, sex offenders, etc.
I just completed one for the company I rent from. I will contact the DOC person collecting the data to see if I can link any information to WA PTO.
The legislature ordered DOC to survey rentals and prepare the information for use in community placement of releasing offenders who do not have an address to go to.

lovejunkie
08-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Honesty sucks! I hate to say it but iI tried it! Looking for work, living quarters, etc. All it ever did was give me NO CHANCE AT ALL Finally, I lied. I got a job. Sure, I lost it later (of my own accord - not because they found out) but I had three months of work and some money saved. To this day (ten years since release in sept) I lie. very few people know of my past... my wife, a few close friends. I say Lie. People never forgive and when the economy is hard as it is now the employer will ALWAYS hire ANYONE over a felon. This is a subject I'm quite passionate about. Try private owners, yes. Lie anyway. Lie to everybody! If they find out they won't look at you any differently than they would have had you told them the truth from the start. Now, along with all this lying comes certain responsibility. Change. Don't act like a thug. Don't BE a thug. Get an education. Become a contributing member of society. Vote. Start a business. recidivism is high... maybe it wouldn't be so darn high if ex-cons were given second chances. Lie and get that second chance. While I spoke the truth i never got a break. i couldn't get on with a friggin' temp agency! I was a few desperate steps from going back to a life of crime because merely needed the money. i lied, now I own a home, a business, and am a respected member of my community... If they only knew. Lie

PhilB
09-21-2009, 03:13 AM
lovejunkie

I don't know about your state Nevada but in WA you do not have to admit or be asked about any conviction over ten years ago. Employers may not ask for ANY convictions but must say " Any convictions within 10 years". If the applications asks for Any the correct answer according to WA law is "No" if it has been teen years since the conviction.

PhilB
12-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Just an update on the offender approved housing.

It has been over a month since I requested information on the list from DOC and have not recieved any response yet. Either the project fell apart due to budget cuts and wasn't completed or they are keeping it confidential. Since it was ordered by the legislature in a bill, it must be the latter - secret?

madibabe
03-14-2011, 02:03 PM
good information to know thank you

miss_kiss4u2003
07-27-2011, 04:21 PM
The brittany park apartments in auburn accept felons and the prices are really good

NativeluvsBG
08-12-2011, 10:10 PM
The Herlium apartments in Everett,WA take felons. And a couple other places..

LaramieWyatt
09-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I looked for this apartment and cant find it and what other apartments are there in the Everett Wa that will take ex felons. thanks

gabbygirl372001
09-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Hey....I would love to have a list of 'felony friendly' houses and/or apartments in the Vancouver washington area. Any info on this would help. thanks.

LaramieWyatt
09-23-2011, 10:30 PM
well i can see this is getting me no where as i need to move soon thanks

nevaeh2morrow
09-24-2011, 10:14 AM
The best I could suggest is to look for a private landlord versus an apartment complex. Private landlords tend to be a little easier to approve.

LaramieWyatt
09-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Hey....I would love to have a list of 'felony friendly' houses and/or apartments in the Vancouver washington area. Any info on this would help. thanks.
when I looked on line I found a list and if you put felon friendly apartments on cbc hope this helps and i will check back in the next day or two and if you found then post and if not i will find and post.

turtlegirl71
11-30-2011, 03:10 PM
The Herlium apartments in Everett,WA take felons. And a couple other places..

There are no apts in everett by that name or even close. I live in everett and could really use some usefull info besides a false name and vague statements like "and a couple other places".

Please don't waste peoples time with bogus info, we have enough to deal with. thank you

Leowoman
12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Honesty sucks! I hate to say it but iI tried it! Looking for work, living quarters, etc. All it ever did was give me NO CHANCE AT ALL Finally, I lied. I got a job. Sure, I lost it later (of my own accord - not because they found out) but I had three months of work and some money saved. To this day (ten years since release in sept) I lie. very few people know of my past... my wife, a few close friends. I say Lie. People never forgive and when the economy is hard as it is now the employer will ALWAYS hire ANYONE over a felon. This is a subject I'm quite passionate about. Try private owners, yes. Lie anyway. Lie to everybody! If they find out they won't look at you any differently than they would have had you told them the truth from the start. Now, along with all this lying comes certain responsibility. Change. Don't act like a thug. Don't BE a thug. Get an education. Become a contributing member of society. Vote. Start a business. recidivism is high... maybe it wouldn't be so darn high if ex-cons were given second chances. Lie and get that second chance. While I spoke the truth i never got a break. i couldn't get on with a friggin' temp agency! I was a few desperate steps from going back to a life of crime because merely needed the money. i lied, now I own a home, a business, and am a respected member of my community... If they only knew. Lie

My husband's family tells him to lie all the time on his apps, etc. but employers and landlords in Cincinnati do run background checks and he is currently on probation so it would do him no good to lie. Thank God I make enough money to keep him out of prison and us housed and mostly fed even if we do have holes in our shoes! The biggest downfall we've had with being honest with our landlord up front and him taking my husband with his felonies is that our landlord has taken advantage of us monitarily. He charges us for things he doesn't the other tenants because he knows our situation. We hate it here and hope to move when our lease is up if we can!

LGP
12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
I am looking for a place to live that is felon friendly and or a disabled apt. Or house. Does anyone know of a list of apts that take felons? Or a halfway house in the seattle area for inmates being released from prison. Must be king county area. Please help, am very desparate! !! This is for my husband. Getting released soon.

WA CCO
01-02-2013, 06:06 AM
I am looking for a place to live that is felon friendly and or a disabled apt. Or house. Does anyone know of a list of apts that take felons? Or a halfway house in the seattle area for inmates being released from prison. Must be king county area. Please help, am very desparate! !! This is for my husband. Getting released soon.

His class counselor will/should have access to a list of clean/sober houses that will take in your husband. He needs to start the process there.