View Full Version : Can you get an incarcerated husband's sperm

ms.shellie_love
08-14-2009, 04:30 PM
:confused: Since my last post things have gotten better between me & my boyfriend. It was lack of communication & we're working on everything. Anyway this time I was talking with a friend of mine & her husband just got 10 yrs. sentence recently. Before he went to prison they were trying to have a baby. She asked me if it's possible to get sperm from your husband to get pregnant through in vitro fertilization (IVF) or insemination while he's incarcerated in VA DOC. If anyone knows ANY info. on this subject please us know. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :idea:

MKGS561
08-14-2009, 04:44 PM
i have never heard of anything like that, i wouldn't think they would offer that to a prisoner...or else you would hear more about it seems more of a privilege then anything, thats why i highly doubt it.

bumblevee
08-14-2009, 06:18 PM
i dont think they would allow it either . if they did so many ladies would be lining up

nimuay
08-14-2009, 08:37 PM
It's generally illegal.

KevsWife7
08-17-2009, 02:42 PM
There was another post about this in another forum on PTO. It may have been in the Husbands/Boyfriends forum. If I remember correctly someone actually was able to do this(legally, through the DOC), but in another state! So I'm not sure how it would work for DOC!

nithtmare
08-21-2009, 12:35 PM
I think I read somewhere that was one of the reasons they didn't allow those types of visits was because they looked at who would pay for the mother's care and that the child would be eligible for help from social programs. I could be wrong!! It's just somewhere in the back of my not so good brain, I saw that somewhere. I haven't heard of that in Va prisons. I really don't have a reason to research something like that. Good luck!!! Let us know what you find out. That would be interesting.

RBecca
08-21-2009, 12:42 PM
That is a very good question that I'm sure alot of woman would want to know. I know I would be one of them, or at least my son and his wife would consider it. Although, you would love to make love to your spouse and conceive that way. But you never know when will be the last time you see each other, while incarcerated. Well anywhere really!

Let me know what you find out!

I believe it was in a movie that I heard, a gangster placed his sperm in a sack, sliced a tennis ball in half, taped it and through it over a wall to his wife.... lol

Hisfatgirl
09-17-2009, 08:36 PM
LOL @ RBecca. I doubt that it would be legal in the state of VA. They dont believe in right or even consider how people feel about anything. So I would have to say they probably dont, but I love to find out new things about the system in the state of VA so I may call and find out....Ill let you know what the result is!

harasubam
09-18-2009, 08:00 AM
i think it may be possible. and here is what i think would have to happen .you would need to go to court on it for a court order in court prove a few things

1. you are finantually able to foot the bill for every thing invetro ,all testing of inmate . im sure they would want to know both were free of any health risk. even mental.
2. care of the child would be a factor, are you finantually able to do it alone, living conditions may be looked at.
3. you would need to prove that it would be too late for you to wait until he got out if you are say already 40 and he got 10 years it would be too late.
4. they also may look at length of marrage i mean if you just got married they may not see it as solid enough to last.
im sure this would be a very expencive adventure and could be tied up in court for a while as well. but i dothink it is possible if you went to court with all or most of these things already addressed you would have a pretty good chance of at least getting the inmate testing done.

ChocoholicMom
09-18-2009, 08:44 AM
i think it may be possible. and here is what i think would have to happen .you would need to go to court on it for a court order in court prove a few things

1. you are finantually able to foot the bill for every thing invetro ,all testing of inmate . im sure they would want to know both were free of any health risk. even mental.
2. care of the child would be a factor, are you finantually able to do it alone, living conditions may be looked at.
3. you would need to prove that it would be too late for you to wait until he got out if you are say already 40 and he got 10 years it would be too late.
4. they also may look at length of marrage i mean if you just got married they may not see it as solid enough to last.
im sure this would be a very expencive adventure and could be tied up in court for a while as well. but i dothink it is possible if you went to court with all or most of these things already addressed you would have a pretty good chance of at least getting the inmate testing done.

Nope. Doesn't matter if you're a millionairess - married for 50 years. Unless there is a possibility of family visits - not gonna happen. There is no constitutional right to procreate with an inmate...