View Full Version : Essex County Correctional in Lawrence Mass Info.

Justwondering34
08-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi.I have a relative that was recently sent to this jail. It is affectionately called "the farm" at Lawrence, Massachusetts. Im told that the inmates work there? Im not sure of the details of this persons situation, except that he was arrested for domestic assault and witness intimidation in Jan..I think he was let out, then last weekend got into trouble again and his bail was set at $5000, and he was sent here. I believe he has addiction issues.

In any case..if anyone out there has had any experiences to share with dealing with this facility, kindly fill me in.

Thanks!

angel mathews
08-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Lawrence Correctional Alternative Center

The Essex County Sheriff’s Department gained operational control of the Lawrence Correctional Alternative Center in April, 1976. The facility sits on 13 acres bordered by the Merrimack River and interstate 495. Seven of the 13 acres are used to grow fresh produce that is harvested to feed the male and female offenders incarcerated at Middleton, Lawrence and Salisbury.
The Marston Street complex was initially opened by the city of Lawrence in 1869 as a reform school for recalcitrant boys. Today, the site is being used as a pre-release facility to turn offenders with drug and alcohol addictions into productive members of society.

REHABILITATION AND EDUCATIONAL SERVICES
The CAC has the capacity to house 290 offenders. Violent criminals and sex offenders are ineligible for placement. Offenders are assigned through a classification process conducted at the Middleton House of Correction.
Programs offered include:

SUBSTANCE ABUSE TREATMENT COMMUNITY FOR OFFENDERS (SATCO)
ANGER MANAGEMENT
ALTERNATIVES TO DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND ABUSE (ATV)
ADULT BASIC EDUCATION
WORK RELEASE
Offenders who have completed their mandatory rehabilitative programs and are on the verge of being released are eligible for this program. Working with staff, offenders are placed in jobs throughout the region. Some work the first shift, others the second. Depending upon the program, the employer will pick up the offender at the facility and return him when the shift has concluded. Other offenders are brought to and from their jobs by staff.
Department employees conduct frequent security checks on these offenders. Wages earned are held by the department for the offenders and given to them upon their release. The money is also used to pay room and board, legal fees, fines, child support and victim restitution.
COMMUNITY SERVICE
More than 100 offenders participate in this program. Work crews, under the supervision of staff, attend to various municipal projects in the 34 cities and towns that comprise the county. Some of the work consists of trash pickup on the region’s roadways. Other projects completed include: cleaning Lawrence’s Bellevue Cemetery; shoveling snow away from Lawrence’s fire hydrants; painting Salisbury Town Hall; setting flags atop the graves of Newburyport’s veterans; clearing a vacant lot on Saunders Street in Salem; painting Haverhill’s skate park; and constructing Newburyport’s skate park.

ProfMoriarty
12-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi.I have a relative that was recently sent to this jail. It is affectionately called "the farm" at Lawrence, Massachusetts. Im told that the inmates work there? Im not sure of the details of this persons situation, except that he was arrested for domestic assault and witness intimidation in Jan..I think he was let out, then last weekend got into trouble again and his bail was set at $5000, and he was sent here. I believe he has addiction issues.

In any case..if anyone out there has had any experiences to share with dealing with this facility, kindly fill me in.

Thanks!

I just joined this site. Your post/question is four months old so I don't know if you still need info. I was "allowed" to do my time there on a contempt (invoking 5th amendment privilege in front of grand jury after having been immunized). Would frankly have (selfishly) rather done my bid in Middleton (the jail), but my sons wanted to see me and I would not let them see me in jail. You can dress in street/civilian clothes. Certain inmates can indeed work. But the food is terrible (I got gout from it and basically went on a fast for the last four months). Medical care is literally inhumane. You must report for hourly count to a central control. No gym facilities but there is a track you can jog (and do pushups, etc.) around.

Now, the good news: If you have a substance abuse problem (esp. alcohol) it's all there for you. I knew I was a heavy "social drinker"...when I was locked up I found I was physically addicted to booze. And my cellie (a career criminal: jewel thief) sat my ass down and convinced me to consider contemplating my love affair with the bottle. Haven't touched a drop since I got out (almost two years total). But your friend has to really want to change/kick their habit. It is an "inside job".

Other than that, the place sucks. (footnote: it is called the farm because....there is a working farm there...) Let me know if you have any other questions. I visit there once a month to talk to young guys about how to do their time and know most of the employees there. Like most places....a fair number of a-holes, but a few good guys.

NoAirMan
12-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey! Born and raised in Lawrence. May street, lower tower hill.
btw, I did time in Lawrence and we had to sht in a bucket, I aint kidding. Lawrence House of corrections. Is it still there?

ProfMoriarty
12-31-2009, 11:42 PM
You and everybody else left Lawrence. Now the poorest city in N.E. and one of the 20 poorest in USA. Lower Tower Hill is now a slum. Upper Tower Hill barely holding on. (Check out the public television series "POV"....there is a 90 minute segment re. St. Patrick's parish in Lawrence currently running on various public TV stations around the US)....

Now, to your question: both Lawrence & Salems HOCs were closed by the federal courts around 20 years ago: mere incarceration there was deemed "cruel & unusual punishment". Over $80 million spent in the 1980s spent to build new "super" facility on farmlands in Middleton. Over $ 10 million paid out in damages to inmates and legal fees for Salem and Lawrence fiascos.

I used to visit cousins every summer in OK and the OKCity when I was a boy.

NoAirMan
12-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I have to say, lawrence was fun during the 70s and early 80s, mostly the 70s.