View Full Version : How To Write A Letter that will influence Sentencing Judge

auntmaria
09-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi, I am writing a letter for my nephew to the sentencing judge. I can't reduce his sentence, too many mandatory sentencing enhancements, he will receive a minimum of 40 years to life, but I want him sent to the best facility, where he has access to adult education or work programs. I know that's like wishing on a star, but I have to do something. I want the judge to leave some glimmer of hope for rehabilitation that my nephew can take with him, or that at least, we can hold onto. I need help ASAP! Thank you, and God Bless all of you trying to survive, my heart breaks with every message I read.

only1love
09-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi, I am writing a letter for my nephew to the sentencing judge. I can't reduce his sentence, too many mandatory sentencing enhancements, he will receive a minimum of 40 years to life, but I want him sent to the best facility, where he has access to adult education or work programs. I know that's like wishing on a star, but I have to do something. I want the judge to leave some glimmer of hope for rehabilitation that my nephew can take with him, or that at least, we can hold onto. I need help ASAP! Thank you, and God Bless all of you trying to survive, my heart breaks with every message I read.

40 years- Life? Oh my! is he federal? If so, I have a list of all federal facilities and the programs they offer and the requirements to get into them. I do not have this information for states. If you want the federal list, PM me and I will get it to you.

My understanding is that first they establish his security level, then factor in medical ( well sort of ) and then find the place that fits him that also has an open bed. That said, the judge can recommend a particular facility.

When I wrote my letter, I was told that the judge wanted to know him as a person, and not just a number who broke a statute on the books. You can speak about his character, ties to the community, extenuating circumstances, etc.

Ideally it should be no more than 3 pages. The attorney should have time to review it and suggest changes before it is submitted to the judge.

Some judges are very interested in this sort of thing, and I have heard that when many letters are written and many people are in the courtroom on sentencing day it speaks volumes to the judge. I figure, it can't hurt. That sentence is so long, that IMO, most anything to shorten it would be great.

How old is he? If you don't mind the question.

pamelalynn
09-07-2009, 09:13 PM
You write it from your heart, your goal is to touch the judges heart, hopefully he hasn't been burnt by too many of those he's sentenced with hope that they would reform in the right programs. I wrote a letter to a Judge that made him cry, his secretary told me. That's what you're going for. Give him your HEART FELT opinon on the chances that he can save your nephew's life, literally and figuratively ... look up the benefit statistics on shock boot camps, or the other programs you would like him to consider for your nephew, quote the success rates. I'm sure he is aware of them, but put your nephews name to these programs ... GUARANTEE your full support of him successfuly complete rehabilitation programs that the judge orders. Explain HOW you will support, visits, guidance, encouragement, etc !!! Good luck with this ... PM me with the letter if you'd like ... I write a pretty powerful letter !!!

IrishFire
09-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Can the letter be sent directly to the Judge or must it go through his worthless public defender?

Thank God for a GOOD judge, he has fought more for my husband then the PD. (He's been in over six months now and the PD has only come to see him at the jail TWICE. All other "advice" has come in court, surrounded by other inmates. So much for attorney-client privilege.) One court date, the PD didn't even show up!

One time the Judge asked my husband if he had seen the Police report. My husband said NO, and the PD, finally decides to look up from his doodling or whatever the lleh he was doing and said he had gone over the "high points" with him. Well, obviously the judge saw something there...three months later and several requests, he STILL doesn't have the police report and no one can seem to tell me if I can pick it up for him. I swear, I could start a thread about this whole ordeal and while some of you have probably gone through similar things, many of you would NOT believe it. And those who have never been involved in such things would think we were lying!

Anyway, I don't trust the PD would include my letter in the PSI. He has certainly never presented the many character references that he received! My intention (unless y'all tell me it's a serious NO-NO and would cause problems) was to write a "cover" letter to the judge, explaining that the enclosed, SEALED envelope contained information that would help him to understand how my husband, a well respected, businessman, could fall so far as to commit such a crime. I have NO doubt the Judge WANTS to help him. The state has "unofficially" offered 10 years (first offense), and the Judge shot that down without even looking up! So, I think that HE, not the PD is going to show mercy, and knowing the WHOLE story will give him the ability to do so.

So, do I send it as I've outlined? I will send a copy to the PD as well as the State. Idea's? Suggestions?

nyny1317
09-15-2009, 01:42 AM
Does anyone know if it is ethical to bring children of the inmate to a sentencing hearing? Could it help? The children are aware of this situation.. Advice?

only1love
09-15-2009, 02:51 PM
I would think that it would be up to the mother.

bellisq
09-17-2009, 09:04 PM
I think it depends on the ages. Young children are definitely discouraged by federal court staff. Also, sentencing is a very intense experience, there will be negative stuff said that not only will be hard to hear, but also could be hard to forget. I do not believe it will improve the outcome of the case. Federal sentencing is dependent on the guidelines.

fallensoldier
09-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Talk to your attorney. He is familiar with the judge, your case and compassion on behalf of the court. Getting this type of information oline is usually not in your best interest.

bigromesgirl
09-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello Irish Fire... I'm new on here but I wanted to know the outcome of your situation. I know that this is an old post because I see it was dated back in 2008 but my b/f is going through the same situation right now. He is in county jail right now and he has a status hearing in a few days and his sorry worthless public defender has only been to the jail twice to see him in the 14 months that he has been locked up. He is in jail on armed robbery charges but i feel as though the judge needs to know that my man has always had a job and never ever would have done a thing like robbery but he was in a desperate situation!!! He is a very hardworking man and he has long ties to the community and I just really would like for the judge to know that he is not some kind of monster and not to try and throw the book at him