View Full Version : DOC Website - what does this mean?

Dave's Family
09-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Does anyone understand the doc website? What exactly does (or earlier case) mean under the heading Parole Hearing Type? It is a reappearance .
Thanks
Judy

Irish Girl
09-23-2009, 08:08 PM
It means a postponed hearing or decision. Documents required for the hearing may have been missing for example, and so the hearing was postponed. OR Earlier will reappear in a month or two. But it is not a reappearance in the sense of having been denied in the prior appearance, it is merely a postponement.

Dave's Family
10-02-2009, 08:54 AM
It means a postponed hearing or decision. Documents required for the hearing may have been missing for example, and so the hearing was postponed. OR Earlier will reappear in a month or two. But it is not a reappearance in the sense of having been denied in the prior appearance, it is merely a postponement.

Thanks for the reply.I'm still confused tho...he had a reappearance in Sept and he didn't get it.The ny parole board website has him listed twice....the doc website shows him going again this month.He is due to come home in Jan.
Do you think it's just formality to go before the board again because he is being released soon?

Thanks for your help

Irish Girl
10-03-2009, 07:19 PM
That's a tough question to answer. It depends on his sentence. If he has a determinate sentence and is maxing out in January, then he's definitely coming home in January no matter what. If he has an indeterminate sentence that max's out some time past January, or he is having a merit time hearing, then he's going to have a regular parole hearing. I guess I can't answer your question very well on the information posted. I think that there's no guarantees when someone is coming home unless they are at the end of their sentence in which case he/you have nothing to worry about. If he had a TAC (time allowance committee) hearing already and is getting out on his CR date (conditional release) in January, then that should not change either unless there has been some problem, like a ticket, that would cause them to take away that good time.

deanskayla
10-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Great reply Irish Girl.

It seems that too often people are not aware of or forget the difference between determinite and indeterminate sentences.

THERE IS NO PAROLE FOR A DETERMINATE SENTENCE and all time must be served, unless Merit Time is given. There may Post Release Supervision, which will have many of the restrictions and rules of Parole.

On an Indeterminate Sentence the minimum time stated MUST BE SERVED, and then a Parole Hearing will determine early release or not. Merit Time may also be considered.

However, with the One Time Merit TIme that was included in the NY State budget, the qualifications for early release are very restrictive and will only apply to a few.

Irish Girl
10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks Deanskayla.

Dave's Family, I hope our answers helped.

Dave's Family
10-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Thank you for the info
It was later posted on the website that he was denied.
He will max out in Jan
thanks so much

Sindarla
01-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Great reply Irish Girl.

It seems that too often people are not aware of or forget the difference between determinite and indeterminate sentences.

THERE IS NO PAROLE FOR A DETERMINATE SENTENCE and all time must be served, unless Merit Time is given. There may Post Release Supervision, which will have many of the restrictions and rules of Parole.

On an Indeterminate Sentence the minimum time stated MUST BE SERVED, and then a Parole Hearing will determine early release or not. Merit Time may also be considered.

However, with the One Time Merit TIme that was included in the NY State budget, the qualifications for early release are very restrictive and will only apply to a few.

With a sentence of, for example, 1 1/2 - 3 years, the MINIMUM time that could be served is NOT 1 1/2 years, But (with good behavior) 2/3 of that, which in this example is 12 months (1 year), so the minimum time stated (in this case 1 1/2 years) Doesn't have to be served in order to go before the parole board. But good behavior is NO guarantee that you'd be let go at that parole hearing, if you have a bad/extensive record Prior to that charge, they Could make you stay longer. Also, depending on the crime & if it had a lot of publicity, the victim impact statement if applicable, whether the inmate hs expressed remorse or expressed guilt for the crime are just Some of the other factors that May be considered.

Paralegal USA
01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
With a sentence of, for example, 1 1/2 - 3 years, the MINIMUM time that could be served is NOT 1 1/2 years, But (with good behavior) 2/3 of that.

Incorrect. The minimum to be served on a 1-1/2-3 is 1-1/2 years. "Good time" is applied to the back of the sentence in NY, not the front.

Momma Ann
01-31-2010, 02:46 PM
we don't want to give people false hope-that is a killer.

mistyone23
01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Incorrect. The minimum to be served on a 1-1/2-3 is 1-1/2 years. "Good time" is applied to the back of the sentence in NY, not the front.

If this is true, then why is Frank Tassone (stole millions from the Roslyn School District as Superintendent of Schools) being released eight months prior to his minimum sentence of four years? He was given a 4-8 year indeterminate sentence.

NurseG
01-31-2010, 09:16 PM
If this is true, then why is Frank Tassone (stole millions from the Roslyn School District as Superintendent of Schools) being released eight months prior to his minimum sentence of four years? He was given a 4-8 year indeterminate sentence.

Because the money he stole he actually paid back. I sure wish people would stop hopping on dude like we are angels. He paid out the azz too. He paid for his boyfriend as well LOL...WOW. I live in long island so I am so tired of hearing about Frank and how people is sooooo OUTRAGED about his release....need to get off the man's back, they act like he killed a couple of people, at least he paid like he weighed.:thumbsup:

deanskayla
02-01-2010, 04:51 AM
You CANNOT compare one prisoner to another in terms of parole, release, programs etc.

Even sentences for similar crimes can differ.

You cannot base your hope on what happened to someone else.

mistyone23
02-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I didn't mean to imply that Mr. Tassone shouldn't be released - only that it is possilble for someone to be released before they have served their minimum sentence. Just using that case as an example.

Sindarla
02-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I agree with mistyone23 , when my ex AND my husband got out in the past they BOTH got out BEFORE their minimum sentences were finished. In fact, when they broke down the date(s) they could get released, the EARLIEST date listed for release was BEFORE the completion of the minimum sentence.