View Full Version : Programs w/possible help upon release (Welfare, SSI, etc)

kindra_antoin
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
"FREE PROGRAM _ POSSIBLE HELP UPON RELEASE "
Ex-offenders
Bureau of prisons
Benefits available to former inmates
(Including those in a halfway house)

Social Security Office
Welfare Department
State Rehabilitation Office

What do I do? Who do I talk to? Where do I go?
Go immediately to the nearest Social Security Office and ask to speak to a counselor so that you can apply for Social Security Insurance Emergency Supplement Benefits of $1,500.00. Explain that you are emotionally and mentally unprepared to hold a job. Show them your parole or mandatory release papers in order to prove that you are just out of prison.
Note: You should receive the check within 72 hours.

While at the office, fill out the necessary forms for the $310.00 monthly disability benefit for every month you were incarcerated.

Now go to the nearest Welfare Department Office and apply for General Relief. Again, show them your parole or mandatory release papers as proof that you are just out of prison. Tell them you need Financial Assistance Immediately. A check should be issued to you within two (2) hours. It should be for approximately $150.00, do not forget to get your food stamps while you are there. You should receive about $110.00 worth. While you are there, be sure to obtain your Medical Card for Health Protection Benefits. Note:
This card can be used at any Doctor’s or Dentist’s Office.

DO THIS WITHIN THE NEXT TEN DAYS!!!!
Go to the State Rehabilitation Center, where you can apply for various Federally Funded Loans & Grants.
If you want to start a small business, make a list of the approximate costs of all the equipment you will need (tools, work-clothes, etc…) and estimate for about how much operating cash you will need to start-up the business until it begins to make a living for you. They may loan up to $50,000.00.

If you need to be BONDED for employment by a private employer, you can obtain the bond from any U.S. District Court. Go to the Probation & Parole Department. It should take less than an hour to have the validated forms in your hands.

SUPPLEMENTAL SOCIAL INCOME (S.S.I.) can best be described as a form of welfare that is paid through the SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE.
Different from Social Security benefits, there is no need to qualify as far as your past income is concerned. You AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFY for S.S.I. because you are unemployed and considered to be disabled. Be sure that you understand the situation concerning your disability. Federal Legislation, at this time, documents recognition that you are an ex-offender to the fact that you have an emotional problem. Basically, the government has declared that had you not had this emotional problem, you would have been able to conform to; the rules of society, thus preventing your commission of a federal crime. Regardless of whether or not you feel, or accept the fact, that you as an ex-offender do in fact have this emotional problem, it is considered by both Federal and State Rehabilitation Commissions to be a disability. According to the current policies, mental and emotional problems constitute a 100% disability. And you will be considered to have this disability until you have become a "productive member" of society.
The whole purpose of Supplemental Social Income (S.S.I.) is to help you as a recently released ex-felon by relieving part of the economic pressure you will be facing as you re-enter society and try to re-establish yourself as a productive member of your communities.

After your release, you as a parolee or otherwise, will qualify for assistance of up to $310.00 per month. Although you do qualify, you will only be able to receive your S.S.I. benefits while you are still in prison waiting to be released. You, by law, have only 30 hours after you are released to reach the nearest Social Security Office and submit your application. If it is necessary that you take the required steps before your release date and apply for these benefits or you will lose the opportunity to take advantage of S.S.I. so 90 days prior to your release, send in your application to be processed. You should have a check waiting for you in the amount of $930.00.
Supplemental Social Income is covered under United States Law 42 U.S.C. 1383 (c); 20 CFR 416. 305.
1. Ninety (90) days before release, write a letter to the Social Security Office where you live. They will send you a five (5) question application. Fill it out as accurately as possible, and then return it to the Social Security Office nearest you.
2. When your application is processed, you will get a check for three (3) months totaling nine-hundred thirty dollars (930.00) at three-hundred ten dollars (310.00) each.
3. You can also call the Food Stamp Office’s Hot-Line and get $80.00 worth of food stamps when you go to the Department of Social Services. Also, you can apply for a full food Stamp Grant. This will bring the total to $160.00.
4. You are qualified because you are on S.S.I. The Welfare Department will automatically send you $228.00 per month for financial assistance and utilities. S.S.I. is the same in each state.

(a) Go to the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation because you are on S.S.I.
(b) A convicted felon is a depressed minority. You also qualify for a certain benefit package. The amount of this benefit is $1,900.00 to be used for a down payment on a car. The car must be needed to go back and forth to work.
(c) Also, you receive a $300.00 check for clothing for the job. And another $400.00 check for street clothes. And finally, a $400.00 check for tools. These are GRANTS, NOT LOANS, so they do not have to be paid back.
5. S.B.A. has programs for ex-felons. You are qualified to receive a small Business Administration loan of up to $50,000.00. This loan is only given in the case of business pursuits, and it would be called a "starter" loan. Also, the S.B.A. will provide professional assistance to help you plan employment. You must be bonded for this loan. The Federal H.C.W. will bond you free if no other organization will. Because you are an ex-convict, the loan must be repaid to the S.B.A. The annual percentage rates are low, and for two reasons, 1) You are and ex-felon and 2) business loans are less of a risk than conventional loans.
Once you have S.S.I., you can qualify for a loan of up to $5,000.00 from any bank in the area. The loan is guaranteed by the Federal Government and must be repaid.
S.S.I.
1) $310.00 for three months
2) $228.00 per month
3) $160.00 per month
VOCATIONAL
1) $1,900.00 for auto expense
2) $300.00 for work clothes
3) $400.00 for casual clothes
4) $400.00 for needed tools
FEDERAL GRANT OR LOW INTEREST LOANS TOLL-FREE NUMBER
1-800-822-2470
1) Send a letter to the Regional Director of Security asking for application for $980.00 under supplemental income (S.S.I.). Tell them that you have just turned in your parole plan and let them know what area you are being paroled to. Have the applications sent to an outside address in case you are transferred. This is covered under RCW-72.02:040. Public Law 93.365.603. You can not get benefits while in prison, but send a letter about two (2) months prior to your release. As soon as you get out, go to the Social Security Office and apply under

RCW-74.29.105. As an ex-felon you are classified as a Disadvantaged Minority and Eligible for benefits. You may also want to contact H.U.D. for low cost housing. For info write to:
Department of Health and Human Services
Social Security Administration
P.O. Box 19001
Olympia, WA. 98507
2) Another thing you can get as an ex-felon is vouchers for food, housing and clothing. When you get out, go down to the Dept. of Social and Health Services in your area and apply for $180.00 in immediate food stamps.
3) You can also get money to help you apply to your trade. Go down to the Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation and tell them about your trade. Go to different stores and price the clothing and equipment that you will need to start your dream or business. You can get a check from them for $1,500.00; this is under RCW-72.02.100 which also covers an extra $100.00 gate money when you are released.
4) Apply for disability with your local Social Security Office. You will be turned down the first three (3) times, but on the fourth time you will not be turned down. A week or two later you will start receiving checks for $310.00 for every month that you were incarcerated and three (3) months before and after that time, not to exceed $4,800.00 per year.
5) The Small Business Administration will loan you up to $24,000.00 to start up any business you want. They will also loan you $500.00 towards any work vehicle. The Federal Government Guarantees your loan, bonding you up to $10,000.00. As an ex-felon you are a minority and are eligible for any and all benefits due to anyone in that category.
6) Targeted job tax credits will give your employer a $3,000.00 tax write-off the first year you work for Him/Her and $1,500.00 the second year. If your employer is training you in a skill, the Federal Government will pay half of your wages for the first year in addition to the tax cut. A few other sources for Small Business Loans and Grants.
Grant Administration Division
Minority Business Development
Washington, D.C. 20230
These people give grants of up to $10,000.00 under the heading, Minority Business Development, Management and Technical Assistance. Their objective is to provide free financial help in starting or operating your own business. You can also get loans from:
Direct-Office of Financing
Small Business Administration
1441 D Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20416
The SBA helps to put together economic opportunity loans for your small business. Loans range from $1,000.00 all the way up to $315,000.00. These loans are specifically for small business owned by low income or socially or economically disadvantaged persons. If you run into problems go to your local library and copy the section of the law pertaining to the money that you are after. Then go back and show it to the person to whom you spoke to. (Required by 39 U.S.C. 3885).

eb2009
11-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks alot for the info.

louslady
11-18-2009, 02:09 PM
I am going to check if the info is like this in NYS as well!

Good luck and stay strong ladies.

kindra_antoin
11-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes I would suggest checking out this info!! this info was passed along to me, so I suggest everyone look into these programs for yourself, I myself have not had a chance to look into this, but once I do I will update!

Scorpion76
11-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Thank you so much for all of this info. If he can qualify for any, all or some of these programs it would be such a help to our family's financial situation. It's good to know that there is help out there. It's so hard and frustrating to find the answers sometimes, but it's a wonderful thing that people are kind enough to share the info like you have. God Bless You and yours

frnd2me
12-01-2009, 09:26 PM
has anyone actually done these things....i sent the info to hubby and he says a bunch of it is inaccurate information.....can anyone vouch for the things they KNOW is legal???

kindra_antoin
12-07-2009, 01:12 AM
The only thing me and my husband did was went down to DES and applied for benifits he recieved 240.00 in food stamps the same day and got AHCCCS( state health insurance) right away... we really havn't had time to even bother to check out the other information

louslady
12-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Yes - I have a friend who came home and got food stamps (single person gets about 205 a month)
And he has health / dental with First Health or something like that.

I am going so see what my hubby can get - his first step is getting his license - Im thinking it easier to find a job with a license - hopefully his brother can get him a job where he is at.

Good luck K!

DRaney
12-07-2009, 09:24 AM
My husband just sent this information to me. He told me that a lot of the things on the list must be applied for within 30 hours of their release. I'm not sure which ones, but I will be sure to ask him when I speak to him.

Do these benefits apply to every state?

dianam1972
12-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Great information! Thanks

BJ2010
01-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Awesome information Kinda!!!!! A pal getting out in a few months can sure use this info!

mitkat
01-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I just called the SOCIAL SECURITY office in Mississippi and they said none of this is true except for maybe the food stamps.They said a released inmate can sign up for disability or ssi but they will not automatically get it just because they were in prison.They have been trying to tell the prisons to quit telling inmates this.

GRMsflirt
02-10-2010, 02:27 AM
They can get GA and CMSP in Shasta county, CA. And if you apply for SSI as soon as you get it GA and CMSP will be dropped, but SSI will give you medi-cal.

Mannys_Wifey
03-10-2010, 11:19 AM
My b/f got released from prison on Jan 14, 2010 and he had dirty urine on the 20th so they sent him to HWH. He will be commin home July 20th, 2010 after doinn 180 days in a HWH. I need info on housing and such. He has no where to go. When he got out of prison he was @ his friend house but they all do drugs so thats not the envoriment he needs to be in so I tryin to get all the info I could get. Thanks!

mywife19
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I wonder if this info applies in NJ or if my husband would qualify. I work and he's under my medical insurance so we're good there. But we could definitely use the food stamps and extra assistance now that there's another mouth to worry about once he comes home...

Mannys_Wifey
03-11-2010, 09:00 AM
If u get any info on nj plz let me know. Im tryin to see if i could get my b.f some help when he gets out of a halfway house.

I wonder if this info applies in NJ or if my husband would qualify. I work and he's under my medical insurance so we're good there. But we could definitely use the food stamps and extra assistance now that there's another mouth to worry about once he comes home...

boyd1
03-11-2010, 04:35 PM
:)
Ex-offenders
Bureau of prisons

Social Security Office
Welfare Department

Go immediately to the nearest Social Security Office and ask to speak to a counselor so that you can apply for Social Security Insurance Emergency Supplement Benefits of $1,500.00. Explain that you are emotionally and mentally unprepared to hold a job. Show them your parole or mandatory release papers in order to prove that you are just out of prison.

While at the office, fill out the necessary forms for the $310.00 monthly disability benefit for every month you were incarcerated.

Now go to the nearest Welfare Department Office and apply for General Relief. Again, show them your parole or mandatory release papers as proof that you are just out of prison. Tell them you need Financial Assistance Immediately. A check should be issued to you within two (2) hours. It should be for approximately $150.00, do not forget to get your food stamps while you are there. You should receive about $110.00 worth. While you are there, be sure to obtain your Medical Card for Health Protection Benefits. Note:

Go to the State Rehabilitation Center, where you can apply for various Federally Funded Loans & Grants.
If you want to start a small business, make a list of the approximate costs of all the equipment you will need (tools, work-clothes, etc…) and estimate for about how much operating cash you will need to start-up the business until it begins to make a living for you. They may loan up to $50,000.00.

If you need to be BONDED for employment by a private employer, you can obtain the bond from any U.S. District Court. Go to the Probation & Parole Department. It should take less than an hour to have the validated forms in your hands.

SUPPLEMENTAL SOCIAL INCOME (S.S.I.) can best be described as a form of welfare that is paid through the SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE.
Different from Social Security benefits, there is no need to qualify as far as your past income is concerned. You AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFY for S.S.I. because you are unemployed and considered to be disabled. Be sure that you understand the situation concerning your disability. Federal Legislation, at this time, documents recognition that you are an ex-offender to the fact that you have an emotional problem. Basically, the government has declared that had you not had this emotional problem, you would have been able to conform to; the rules of society, thus preventing your commission of a federal crime. Regardless of whether or not you feel, or accept the fact, that you as an ex-offender do in fact have this emotional problem, it is considered by both Federal and State Rehabilitation Commissions to be a disability. According to the current policies, mental and emotional problems constitute a 100% disability. And you will be considered to have this disability until you have become a "productive member" of society.
The whole purpose of Supplemental Social Income (S.S.I.) is to help you as a recently released ex-felon by relieving part of the economic pressure you will be facing as you re-enter society and try to re-establish yourself as a productive member of your communities.

After your release, you as a parolee or otherwise, will qualify for assistance of up to $310.00 per month. Although you do qualify, you will only be able to receive your S.S.I. benefits while you are still in prison waiting to be released. You, by law, have only 30 hours after you are released to reach the nearest Social Security Office and submit your application. If it is necessary that you take the required steps before your release date and apply for these benefits or you will lose the opportunity to take advantage of S.S.I. so 90 days prior to your release, send in your application to be processed. You should have a check waiting for you in the amount of $930.00.
Supplemental Social Income is covered under United States Law 42 U.S.C. 1383 (c); 20 CFR 416. 305.
1. Ninety (90) days before release, write a letter to the Social Security Office where you live. They will send you a five (5) question application. Fill it out as accurately as possible, and then return it to the Social Security Office nearest you.
2. When your application is processed, you will get a check for three (3) months totaling nine-hundred thirty dollars (930.00) at three-hundred ten dollars (310.00) each.
3. You can also call the Food Stamp Office’s Hot-Line and get $80.00 worth of food stamps when you go to the Department of Social Services. Also, you can apply for a full food Stamp Grant. This will bring the total to $160.00.
4. You are qualified because you are on S.S.I. The Welfare Department will automatically send you $228.00 per month for financial assistance and utilities. S.S.I. is the same in each state.

(b) A convicted felon is a depressed minority. You also qualify for a certain benefit package. The amount of this benefit is $1,900.00 to be used for a down payment on a car. The car must be needed to go back and forth to work.
(c) Also, you receive a $300.00 check for clothing for the job. And another $400.00 check for street clothes. And finally, a $400.00 check for tools. These are GRANTS, NOT LOANS, so they do not have to be paid back.
5. S.B.A. has programs for ex-felons. You are qualified to receive a small Business Administration loan of up to $50,000.00. This loan is only given in the case of business pursuits, and it would be called a "starter" loan. Also, the S.B.A. will provide professional assistance to help you plan employment. You must be bonded for this loan. The Federal H.C.W. will bond you free if no other organization will. Because you are an ex-convict, the loan must be repaid to the S.B.A. The annual percentage rates are low, and for two reasons, 1) You are and ex-felon and 2) business loans are less of a risk than conventional loans.
Once you have S.S.I., you can qualify for a loan of up to $5,000.00 from any bank in the area. The loan is guaranteed by the Federal Government and must be repaid.
S.S.I.
2) $228.00 per month
3) $160.00 per month
VOCATIONAL
1-800-822-2470
1) Send a letter to the Regional Director of Security asking for application for $980.00 under supplemental income (S.S.I.). Tell them that you have just turned in your parole plan and let them know what area you are being paroled to. Have the applications sent to an outside address in case you are transferred. This is covered under RCW-72.02:040. Public Law 93.365.603. You can not get benefits while in prison, but send a letter about two (2) months prior to your release. As soon as you get out, go to the Social Security Office and apply under

RCW-74.29.105. As an ex-felon you are classified as a Disadvantaged Minority and Eligible for benefits. You may also want to contact H.U.D. for low cost housing. For info write to:
P.O. Box 19001
Olympia, WA. 98507
2) Another thing you can get as an ex-felon is vouchers for food, housing and clothing. When you get out, go down to the Dept. of Social and Health Services in your area and apply for $180.00 in immediate food stamps.
3) You can also get money to help you apply to your trade. Go down to the Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation and tell them about your trade. Go to different stores and price the clothing and equipment that you will need to start your dream or business. You can get a check from them for $1,500.00; this is under RCW-72.02.100 which also covers an extra $100.00 gate money when you are released.
4) Apply for disability with your local Social Security Office. You will be turned down the first three (3) times, but on the fourth time you will not be turned down. A week or two later you will start receiving checks for $310.00 for every month that you were incarcerated and three (3) months before and after that time, not to exceed $4,800.00 per year.
5) The Small Business Administration will loan you up to $24,000.00 to start up any business you want. They will also loan you $500.00 towards any work vehicle. The Federal Government Guarantees your loan, bonding you up to $10,000.00. As an ex-felon you are a minority and are eligible for any and all benefits due to anyone in that category.
6) Targeted job tax credits will give your employer a $3,000.00 tax write-off the first year you work for Him/Her and $1,500.00 the second year. If your employer is training you in a skill, the Federal Government will pay half of your wages for the first year in addition to the tax cut. A few other sources for Small Business Loans and Grants.
Washington, D.C. 20230
These people give grants of up to $10,000.00 under the heading, Minority Business Development, Management and Technical Assistance. Their objective is to provide free financial help in starting or operating your own business. You can also get loans from:
1441 D Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20416
The SBA helps to put together economic opportunity loans for your small business. Loans range from $1,000.00 all the way up to $315,000.00. These loans are specifically for small business owned by low income or socially or economically disadvantaged persons. If you run into problems go to your local library and copy the section of the law pertaining to the money that you are after. Then go back and show it to the person to whom you spoke to. (Required by 39 U.S.C. 3885).

boyd1
03-11-2010, 04:39 PM
you have helped me so much with the information you have provided. I have the opportunity to start a business and I am limited on funds. Also I wish I had heard from you before because I am in deep debt right now and it sure could have helped if I had read this sonner. I will make sure and get this information to as many inmates as possible.

Sincerely,
Raymond

JMP's MOM
03-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Yes this is great information. My son is going to be home in 6 days!! :):) We will be stopping at the ss office to see about these benefits. He could really use some help with funds to obtain a vehicle for work. I hope these benefits are available in Washington. :rolleyes:

scorpian
03-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Ok, has anyone had time to look into all of this? I wish I did, that in itself is a full time job, but if there is any truth to any of it I will see that my son has something when he gets out and doesn't have to depend on us. We are broke, broke, broken... Know what I mean? This would allow us to step back and let him deal with it and there is help for him to do it.

COTS-Jax
03-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Kindra, is this info supposed to be good for ALL states, or just Arizona? I'm in Jacksonville FL, and am trying to help just-released ex-offenders, and the things you are speaking about, seem impossible here.

sararobinson
07-25-2010, 09:10 AM
thank you. i've been going around in circles trying to find help and i just didn't know where to start. how can i get a copy of all this info. ican't seem to print it

Ex-offenders
Bureau of prisons

Social Security Office
Welfare Department

S.S.I.
2) $228.00 per month
3) $160.00 per month
VOCATIONAL
1-800-822-2470

P.O. Box 19001
Olympia, WA. 98507
Washington, D.C. 20230
1441 D Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20416

sararobinson
07-25-2010, 09:16 AM
kindra, thank you! i've been going around in circles trying to get help and just didn't know where to start. i've never been in this situation where i'm completely starting over. i'm trying to print this and can't is there a way to get it to my email? i've been out for 2 months is it to late for all this?

PTO-110524
07-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Sara - I copied and pasted the above into a PM for you. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

foxyroxy80
07-26-2010, 09:06 AM
I checked on some of this info and was told it wasnt true:(

LoveNeverEnds
07-30-2010, 12:12 PM
has anyone actually done these things....i sent the info to hubby and he says a bunch of it is inaccurate information.....can anyone vouch for the things they KNOW is legal???

I can say that it does require a good attitude and seeking help for ones self; not relying on others to do it for them. We can assist and support the avenues the former inmate needs to have calls made and appts attended to further the resources. We have to let them help themselves (make those calls, speak for themselves, GO AFTER the help that is available, otherwise they never learn to do things for themselves and if they have setbacks it is easier for them to make excuses rather than continue to fight for thier rights; always assuming no one will ever give them a break.)

A couple months before my man was arrested, he was going through papers and came across some similar forms and he just mishandled them and referred them as junk. I browsed through the papers and realized the many DOORS that were there to help him when he was first released as well as how that could have helped him truly get on his feet and find himself in a better position in so many ways, including self-esteem.

I asked him about the papers and he said "no one really helps an ex convict." I think he may have run into one bad rep and he chalked it up to EVERYONE must not care to help an ex convict. So he stayed where it was easy and he was responsible for nothing....making it easy for him to fall back and never rise from what he knew. If my man had not been made to believe that no one really wants to help a former inmate and then surround him around the enablers and poor associations he may have been able to rise from his Hell and begin to believe in himself.

So, approach the folks at the desks and end the phone lines with SUGAR!! Sugar is easier to swallow than vinegar! In other words, treat it like an interview for a job, that perfect job you want so badly. If you go in with a negative approach/attitude and make one feel that they are expected to GIVE you the help, they will delay and even deny resources. (I don't know that for sure, I am just suggesting manners over poor attitude.)

Thank you Kindra for this information. I am sure all states SS offices have this resource or can at least guide your loved one in a right direction.
I know that the jobconnect/workforce office I use for my unemployment situation has an informational meeting for "displaced housewives and ex-convicts." This meeting has info to help our loved ones become employed. I say take advantage of EVERY source out there!

LoveNeverEnds
08-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Wanted to add this. It is from AZ but maybe it can lead others from another state to something similar in thier own state.

AWEE's Paths to Living Free (PLF) program provides a multitude of services tailored to the needs and interests of ex-felons who want help with successful transition from prison to employment, family, and community.
Services include -- but aren’t limited to -- job readiness workshops; mentoring; help with family relationships; help with job-related expenses (such as tools, uniforms, and exam fees); education referrals; basic supportive services (bus passes, gas cards, food boxes) and much more!
PLF Eligibility Requirements: You must enroll in PLF within six months of your release. Violent offenders and sex offenders are not eligible to participate. (This encompasses your entire criminal history, not just your current term.)
AWEE also offers special assistance for ex-felons age 18-29 years through the Choices for Changed Lives (CCL) program. This program offers clients with choices in the types of services received, including some that are of a religious nature. This program starts in late October, and has limited seats available. If interested, follow the instructions below.
CCL Eligibility Requirements: You must enroll in CCL within 60 days of your release. Violent offenders are eligible to participate. Sex offenders are not eligible. (This encompasses your entire criminal history, not just your current term).
Both programs serve women and men, last about one year and require you to participate in monthly activities. These programs are 100% supported through funding provided by the U.S. Department of Labor.
For more information please write to AWEE at 640 N. 1st Avenue,
Phoenix, AZ 85003.
Click here (http://awee.org/enroll.html) if you'd like to enroll in a program or find a job.

Click here (http://awee.org/Merged%20community%20resource%20guide.pdf) to access our Community Resource Guide.

rubby
02-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Hi,
I am new member for this forum and i am using this forum for my view, opinion and nothing else.
Thanks for sharing a nice post.

zingo1963
03-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Sorry, but has this been verified by anyone as legitimate?
Any con who has done time has had this information passed around, and its always been false.
These "benefits for prisoners upon release" letters have been circulating for over 25 years - seriously, and they all sound just like this.
Some (very little) info is accurate/helpful, but 99% is BS.
I mean the original post only, not others added ones.Sorry .

zingo1963
03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Ex-offenders
Bureau of prisons

Social Security Office
Welfare Department

S.S.I.
2) $228.00 per month
3) $160.00 per month
VOCATIONAL
1-800-822-2470

P.O. Box 19001
Olympia, WA. 98507
Washington, D.C. 20230
1441 D Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20416

Rubbish. This is a fake resource, and always has been. Any con who has done any real time & has seen one will verify this.

joetnymedic
03-13-2011, 03:15 PM
I just called the SOCIAL SECURITY office in Mississippi and they said none of this is true except for maybe the food stamps.They said a released inmate can sign up for disability or ssi but they will not automatically get it just because they were in prison.They have been trying to tell the prisons to quit telling inmates this.
i did the food stamp thing here in ct. for 2 people you only get 267.00 a month. I am on ssd not ssi, i get a total of 859 a month and the govt takes back 128 towards my restitution before i even get the check. my son gets insurance which is pretty good. i get title 19 which sucks royally but i get medicare part a which covers my hospital but i couldnt afford part b for doctors as they take out another 110 a month for that. thats about all i've been able to do. i had a workers comp case going since before i went in. they are contesting everything they can so i'm not getting anything there. i got a letter from medicare today that they are not paying 3 of my hospital bills because they feel they are workers comp related and workers comp plays games paying the hospital, so this should be fun. the other thing is once i do get money from comp, they cut myy ssd off because i make more on comp than ssd so thats going to be fun. anyone able to get any of these other benefits? I am going to tell yu that list is highly inaccurate and was so even back in the 80's when that list first started making its rounds to the jails and prisons here in ct. also ssi is not a slam dunk, you have to have doctors say you are not able to work. you also run into a problem after you do get awarded/if you get awarded and that is since it is a mental defect, you have to have a rep payee, i have that now. luckily I have someone i trust that does this for me but be aware they have to account to social security where the money went. the plus thing is hat even if you get denied, you follow thru with the appeals process and if you actually do wind up getting approved on appeal, you will get your mothly benefits retro to the day you applied. dont get crazy with the money however as living on this little bit of money every month, you will find the extra goes very fast on bills

joetnymedic
03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Also, I will say this for those of you in and around the New Haven, CT area
The City of New Haven publishes the New Haven Reentry Resource Guide the latest one available was published in September of 2010. I have one that I obtained from the Federal Defenders office. According to the book, it can be obtained from the City of New Haven - New Haven Reentry Initutive 165 Church Street 2nd Floor New Haven, CT 06510 there are also updates available at: http://www.cityofnewhaven.com/mayor/prisonreentry.asp

at least thats what it says on the cover. It covers: getting, identification, basic needs ie benefits, clothing, food, housing and transportation and a bunch of other stuff. Anyone close by me, I can hook up with if you cant get a copy and we can run off copies of what you need. I'm in West Haven and the library does copies for like 10 cents a page. I think you might be able to get the whole book online. It pretty much just steers you to the available programs. I hope this helps.

btw here's another interesting website I found:
http://howfelonscangetjobs.blogspot.com/

this is a national website:
http://www.nationalreentryresourcecenter.org/audiences/incarcerated-individuals

Joe

LoveNeverEnds
03-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Thank you for all your info.

If you go to your states Social Security office, even browsing on-line, you can get a lot of info. In it, you also get the info that there are stipulations to receive SSI or why you might not qualify.
There is your local Dept of Econmic Security office that can help with leading you in teh right direction for work and job fairs.

In LA County, the city of Pasadena had a job fair earlier this year that was successful. It was intended solely for parolee's. The employer's that were there had been fully aware who the job fair was for and went with the positive mind-set that those in attendance were truly there to move forward in life and put the past history with CDCR as much behind them as possible.

The employer's will be awarded monetarily for hiring a person on parole.

It is a win-win situation.

Look into your local areas for the doors that are open to you or your oved ones now or soon to be on parole.

Best wishes!

larue
07-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Your info has been a blessing...I've being having the hardest time getting any thing useful....God bless.

Ex-offenders
Bureau of prisons

Social Security Office
Welfare Department

S.S.I.
2) $228.00 per month
3) $160.00 per month
VOCATIONAL
1-800-822-2470

P.O. Box 19001
Olympia, WA. 98507
Washington, D.C. 20230
1441 D Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20416

hywesley1
08-11-2011, 02:17 AM
I also checked some of this out and found it wasnt true. Social Security said an inmate can apply for (SSI, or SSDI) benefits 2 months before they get out. If the inmate was recieving SSDI before they went in they will get it back 2 months after release but the inmate MUST take his release papers to the SS office.

While they wait for their SSDI to start they can get food stamps but most likely wont get much, if any at all, when their SSDI starts.

I had heard that inmates were given $200.00 upon release from Family Service (where you get food stamps) but the local one here in Missouri said no. I will ask about general relief now.

Hope this helps a bit

KingsWifey
08-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Your first clue that this was a hoax was getting a check from Social Security within 72 hours and the "welfare" department will not give you a check within 2 hours. On what planet is the government going to give released inmates disability for the time they've been in prison?

Please, if you are going to research you must research well. Finding real help and assistance after release is out there but it can be very difficult to find and obtain IF you even qualify.

What Prisoners Need To Know

SSA Publication No. 05-10133, May 2010, ICN 468767 [View .pdf (http://ssa.gov/pubs/10133.pdf)] http://ssa.gov/gifs/pdficon-small.gif (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html) (Español (http://ssa.gov/espanol/10913.html)) [Audio.mp3 (http://ssa.gov/pubs/audio/10133/10133.mp3)] http://ssa.gov/pubs/image/spkr.jpg Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments generally are not payable for months that you are confined to a jail, prison or certain other public institutions for commission of a crime. You are not automatically eligible for Social Security or SSI payments when you are released.

United States Law 42 U.S.C. 1383 (c); 20 CFR 416. 305.

20? Refers to Employee Benefits, Part 416? Supplemental Security Income for the aged, blind and disabled.

Not all information out there is meant to help but to make fools out of people. Unless it comes from a credible source...the places actually giving the help you are seeking...it would be wise to take it with a grain of salt.

harriseely
01-23-2012, 01:46 PM
I checked on some of this info and was told it wasnt true:(
Wasn’t true [/quote]
I HAVE checked in to 80% of what is suggested and 100% was simply FALSE. I am in Washington State and this information has been floating around for a long time and it simply IS NOT ACCURATE. The names of the agencies that one can contact IS correct, i.e. Dept. Social &Health Serv (DSHS called different things in different states) SSI, Social Security Administration, SBA/Small Business Administration etc....BUT the services that they provide a newly released inmate are simply not true. I do suggest calling all of the social service agencies (as listed above) in your area and ASK them what, if any services for housing, money, medical ins., etc. they do/can provide for someone just released and how to apply for these services but don't expect too much. I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I know how easy it is to get disappointed and disheartened by running in to dead ends when you first get out and I have seen a lot of people have high hopes after reading documents like this just to fall into a pit of depression when they find none of it is accurate. The main problem is that it is too easy for us to reach out to old habits (the ones that got us in prison in the first place) when we get frustrated, angry and scared.....and all of the above happened to me when I got out and thought that this document was accurate. There are some services out there BUT you have to dig for them, be optimistic and not give up at the first disappointing "NO" door. My suggestion is to find some kind of support group made up of people who are in similar circumstances. We can find support and strength in our brothers and sisters who have made it out of the cycle of prison, violence, drugs, prison, drugs, violence, homelessness, distrust, prison, loss, grief, self-blame etcetcetc. I have been out (from 3 rounds totaling 9 years) since 2009 and am still struggling with housing and finances. All I know is that at the times when I felt things couldn't get worse and I reached out to 'old' behaviors (I used drugs & alcohol to escape my negative self-image, fear, doubt and pain) I realized that at 50 years old I was tired to doing 'life' that way and just decided it wasn't going to be easy or pleasant but it had to be better than going back to old ways, that CLEARLY were not working. For me, I decided to be part of AA/NA so that I could address the addiction to ESCAPE via drugs/alcohol. There (as much as I hated the thought of going to those 'stupid' meetings at first) I found acceptance. I could finally find people who would accept me for who I was..............and What I had done. I have learned how to accept myself along the way, be less judgmental towards myself and my mistakes and towards others that have their own shortcomings. From there I am working on reconnecting to all those parts or me that I have rejected or hidden from or run from or denied......it isn't pretty!!! I reach out for help today, not because I am weak but because I get confused and lost when I get overwhelmed by life circumstance, what I am putting together for myself is a kind of 'tool kit' of coping skills. I had lots of coping skills BUT they were not coping skills that produced positive results. I realized that I simply did not know how to cope with life’s ups and downs (which never stop happening) in a way that was positive; uplifting, and produced the life I wanted............all of my 'old' coping skills took me where I don't want to go anymore. I just keep plugging away at it, little by little, it gets better.
with love and a deep bow, susan

alwaysfree
02-14-2012, 03:59 PM
This scam info about getting free social security money goes around in all the jails and prisons in the US. A lot of inmates believe it is true until they get out and try. Bum info!

kristy32013
08-28-2014, 12:30 PM
I checked out the infor on this free help and ssi wasn't any help. Haven't checked out the federal grant yet but ssi was a no go . Just to let everyone know. I'm in az and it seems like they don't do any thing to help inmates who are out of prison. Makes me so upset, and they wonder why the inmates go back breaking the law. Mainly because no one wants to help them to fit into society.

xolady
08-28-2014, 01:02 PM
I get ssdi and I know for a fact you don't get ssi for being an "EX-FELON" Which would mean your no longer a felon so this supposed minority would not exist! Best bet is go to you local homeless shelter, food stamp office. They can give you accurate info on what you might qualify for.