View Full Version : Polk Youth In Butner Nc

albajo
02-11-2004, 11:18 AM
:pissed: I CANNOT STRESS TO YA;LL HOW DANGEROUS POLK YOUTH IS TO OUR CHILDREN!!! THE CHAPLIN THE CASEWORKERS THE WARDEN ARE ALL THE BIGGEST LIERS I EVER COME ACROSS IN 45 YRS OF LIFE AND I THOUGHT MY KIDS DADDY WAS #1 AT LYEING TILL I MET THESE PEOPLE; THAY HAVE THE MOST VICIOUS GUARDS AND CO OF ANY PRISON IN NC; THAY LIKE TO MAKE THE INMATES BLEED AND SUFFER THE WORST PUNISHMENT THAY CAN GIVE OUT; CHECK YOUR RECORDS FOR POLK IN NC THAY HAVE THE HIGHEST RATE OF SUCIDE OF ANY PRISON; AND ARE THAY SUCIDES OR ARE THAY ASSISTED?? WE AS PARENTS WILL NEVER KNOW ; CALL THE GOVENORS OFFICE AND RALEIGH DOC ; AND THEODOUS BECK; CALL ANY ONE WHO WILL PUT THEIR NOSE IN POLK AND FIND OUT WHATS GOING ON; THAY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE UNDER AN INVESTIGATION DUE TO BUCKIE MY SON AND ALL THE TROUBLE I STIRRED UP; :fb: PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS ITS LOCKED UP AGAIN ; BUT TO ALL PARENTS WITH A KID IN POLK MAKE HIN ASK FOR A TRANSFER ASAP GET THEM AWAY FROM POLK; ITS JUST A SHAME I COUDENT GET A PIC OF BUCKIE AT 100 LBS WHEN HE LEFT THERE; HES GAINING IT BACK FAST SO THE PROOF IS GONE; JUST AS THAY PLANNED IT; HELD HIM FOR 2 MONTHS BEFORE HE COULD SEND A PIC HOME BY THEN HED GAINED AROUND 40 POUNDS; NOW AFTER THIS HES PUSHING 200 AGAIN WORKING IN THE KITCHEN SO HE EATS ALL THE TIME; GET YOUR KIDS OUT OF POLK ITS BETER TO LET THEM BE LOCKED UP SAFE RATHER LOCKED UP AND ABUSED MABYE KILLED; GOD BLESS YOU ALL ON THIS FIGHT CAUSE THERE IS ONE COMEING :ha: AND WE WILL BE THE ONES CRYING WHILE POLK IS LAUGHING

les n dom
02-12-2004, 11:14 AM
I never had an experience with the prison system before...but when Dom went in and was put in Polk, I was devastated. He went from the best in life to the worst place EVER. He was assaulted by a guard the first week he was there. Definitely request a transfer!! That place is absolutely horrible. Thank goodness we made it out safely, huh, Alba!

albajo
02-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Amen Sister Amen

Brian's Mom
02-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Alba,

How can I push for a transfer for him and not worry that he'll suffer backlash for it??? That's what I worry about. So far, he hasn't suffered any abuse personally, at least from what he tells me. He was told by his caseworker in early December that he was headed to Robeson (minimum custody) by Christmas. When that didn't happen, and didn't happen, and didn't happen, he got VERY depressed. The last letter he wrote me says that he won't be getting transferred any time soon. You see my position. I just don't want to "rock the boat", maybe cause problems that aren't there.

I'm open to any advice. I once knew how to handle things, way back when I thought this world was somewhat rational and logical. I no longer see the world that way, not since my son went to prison because of a sick lying teenager. Watching the ones in power believe that trash (I'm sorry, but a 13-year-old CAN be trash) over him (a damned good soldier and a damed good person who had never done anything to earn this) is something that has turned my world upside down. I don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone in power have good sense???

Retired-101
02-12-2004, 09:53 PM
In the time I spent on several camps, I had the opportunity to talk with guys that had been to Polk, and to a person the story is the same. One way it is compared to is like those nature shows with wild animals. You notice that the most active are the younger animals, whether lions, bears or whatever. Youth are much the same, with no disrespect to any parents. Teenagers, especially troubled teens, are very active, sometimes destructive. What also happens in prisons, especially youth camps, is a tendency to create a "pecking order" in youth groups. I have seen this many times, when I was in jail, and in prison. If you put a bunch of youth together, sooner or later they try to find their place, whether the leader, the "second in command", and so on to the one with the lowest rank. I normally would never say this, but after seeing it time and time again, I have no doubt that it occurs at Polk. With that being said, the problem is not so much that the youth are not disciplined, it is the prison officials that do not make the efforts to change it. Let there be no mistake, prisons know full well that they are putting youth in extremely dangerous situations, and will turn a quick ear to it. It puts parents is a very difficult situation; do something and risk retaliation, or do nothing, hope everything turns out ok, and risk the worst happening, like death or rape. Given the choice, I would not leave anything to the prison, because you know where they stand. If you can, act to get your child out of Polk before something happens to him. You can rest assured that if something does happen, Polk will either cover it up, or make you believed it was his fault. I urge any parent to act immediately.

Brian's Mom
02-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Masonik:

Then please, tell me how to help get him out of there. He HATES it. I used to be the type person that would whip out a scathing letter to the editor, or champion a political cause without blinking an eye. But them having my son is like (excuse the expression, please) having me by the balls. I'm nearly paralyzed. I'm so angry about so many things, but I don't know where to direct my anger anymore. Brian is very smart and disciplined, but he also has a limit to what he can take. The last time I saw him lose it was when he was about 14... a friend's father accused him of stealing some videotapes. Brian cried and busted the mirror in his room. Later, when they found out that his friend's cousin had borrowed the tapes, the father apologized to Brian. Brian graciously accepted the apology. I'm rambling. The point is, I just don't know how much more he can take. He's kept himself remarkably calm throughout being discharged from the army for no good reason (that pretty much broke his spirit), being incarcerated based on a lie by a sick, hateful girl no one likes, and now he's watching helpless kids being abused and he can't stand it. I worry about his mental health. But of course, we're serving society by locking him up, you know. Jesus Christ.

Anyway, what do you suggest, Masonik? How in hell do I go about getting him out of there?

Retired-101
02-12-2004, 11:10 PM
If it were me, and I have been kicked out of several prisons for writing, the first thing you need is proof. You don't necessarily need actual proof of Officer ABC punching inmate XYZ, but what I am suggesting is creating a number of sources. Personally, I think the first thing that has to be established, and also a risky one, is a grievance. This is why I think it is risky: given the nature of most prisons, they rarely honor the procedure; I know this from personal experience, however, in that may be the flaw, or loophole for you. I am suggesting a grievance because for you to make any move without proof is a dead issue. No prison will do anything just because a parent is "concerned". You first have to create a paper trail of proof, and the easiest way to start is a grievance. I have to be honest by also saying that this on a camp that might have retaliatiative officers is risky; anything can happen. I was shipped off 4 prison camps, once put in the "hole", for writing grievances. But understand the other side of the grievance; it is the strongest force for the inmate, especially if it leads to legal battles, since is is constitutionally protected. That is why you need to have some proof.
With that said, and if it were my loved one, he has got to start the process; the parent outside the prison cannot, because it will not be honored without proof. I would have him write a grievance, send it FIRST to you, make a copy, and send it back. Why? Because you would have immediate proof of what he wrote, so if for some reason the prison rejected it under questionable reasons (which happens very often), you would have proof and could take it to a lawyer, or send copies to govenment officials, federal officials, ect. This is a venue few use, and maybe the reason prisons win so many grievances. As long as the problem is kept inside the walls, the prison can say whatever they want. Afterall, who will believe a convict? But if proof can be obtained outside the wall that is directly identical to the complaint inside, then it has the potential of calling attention to the prison, attention that prison clearly does not want. It would help if you do a little research on either the grievance procedure in your state, or prison conditions and rules; your loved one may need your ability to gather information, since it is hard to come by in prison (though not impossible). I won't lie, you will have your work cut out, and so will he, but if you can demonstrate neglegent behavior by the prison, the must move him elsewhere. But it all starts with proof...

albajo
02-14-2004, 02:55 PM
most of what ive read is the truth but you are the only one who can really push the strings and you can go legal or you can hound them every day of your life till hes moved; talk to mr. kirry and to his caseworker at least once a week have him send all the greviences hes made home make a copy of them and find sue myricks local office in your area and contact her she is fighting the prison abuse and negelct on a daily basis;she was a big help to me and buckie ; he needed to have some knots tested for cancer and she had him took to a dr 2 days after contacting her; you have to make a noise for this kid the ones who are quite and subuded are usally the ones who get messed up ; and trust me from my own experience polk dont mind messing up anybody; thay have a bunch of under age men from 17 to25 and thay beat some sense into them and love doing so!! call mike easlys office i did and after threating to go to channel 9 and the newspaper buckie was moved within 3 days to marion; and after he was moved i still wrote the gaston gazzette and informed them of the abuse at polk prison; it will be published; under title of to whom it mat concern; do what ever you have to do to get him moved if hes being abused love and peace albajo

Brian's Mom
02-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks alba & Masonik... I'm trying to find out just what can be done. It seems to mean a lot to my son, even if he's not the one that's been abused.... yet. Part of the problem is that I'm 600 miles away in Florida. That makes it hard for me to track down info and contacts. I got a letter from my son yesterday and he also included a written account of abuse by one of the other inmates. I'll call him "S.R.". Here's what S.R. wrote:

"S.R.'s eyewitness report:

About the beginning of December 2003 me and 3 other inmates were called out of our pod for talking after lights out. One of the inmates "D.H." was smiling about the correction officers' attitude and then Officer Royster asked what he was smiling about. D.H. said he always smiles because he only had a few weeks left. Then Sgt. Smallwood overheard the conversation and told Officer Royster to "fuck us all up". Royster then took D.H. by the hair and rammed his head into the door on the way to the sergeant's office and threw him on the ground. A few minutes later D.H. came back coughing and limping. Royster then called me to the office and started screaming at me and he hit me in the chest twice. He didn't do anything to the other inmates but yell at them. When I got back to the pod, D.H.'s collarbone was bleeding real bad from being hit with the officer's stick. They would not give him medical attention for his wounds."

That wasn't fun to read. It makes you wonder if the foxes are guarding the henhouse. This sounds like criminal behavior, to me!

Retired-101
02-15-2004, 09:39 PM
You mentioned if that was criminal behavior; it is in every way. No officer, this has to be made very clear, NO OFFICER has the right to place his hands on any inmate unless that inmate initiatited a violent situation. What needs to happen now, not six months later, is those officers must be reported to the prison, government officials and legal avenues. If an officer got away with it, it meant that he had been doing it many times. This cannot go on any longer, because they might get too "carried away" and kill someone's child, someone's husband, someone's brother, ect. Your loved one needs to file a grievance immediately, because there is a statute of limitations on when inmates can file charges on officers, and yes, they can file charges. Do it before the prison ships those guys off to different camps to prevent them from collaborating on their stories. Do it before the next inmate gets brutally beaten, mauled or crippled (or worse). Whether you are 6 miles or 600 miles, you can do something. Don't let those officers get away with that; these are the worst forms of officers in the prison system. You must hold them accountable, just as inmates themselves are accountable for breaking the rules.

Brian's Mom
02-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Well, I'm pretty angry at this point. I'm almost back to my old self (almost). I'm composing a letter right now that I'm sending copies of to every agency in NC that I think might be connected. I'm including S.R.'s report and I'm going to ask them if this is the image they want the state of North Carolina to project, because if something isn't done about these animals carrying nightsticks, I'll go national. I swear I will. Bastards.

Brian's Mom
02-15-2004, 10:17 PM
And another thing... I think I just might include the fact that my cousin is a State Attorney here in Florida. He was assistant DA 1976-1985, and was elected State Attorney in '85... has held the office ever since. He's pretty powerful in law circles. I haven't contacted him at all about what has happened to my son, but if they try to play hardball with me, I'm going to call him up, see what he thinks about lowlife corrections officers beating inmates in North Carolina.

Retired-101
02-15-2004, 10:44 PM
I agree with you 100%. And unfortunately it takes getting outsiders upset in order to make a difference. There are thousands of inmates who are fed up, but the grievance procedure is designed to keep the problem under the prison roof, and to keep inmates spinning in despair. If outsiders get involved, it can make a huge impact. Go for it, and best of luck!

Brian's Mom
02-15-2004, 11:32 PM
OK... how's this:

It has come to my attention that there is unlawful abuse of inmates occurring at Polk Youth Institution in Butner on a regular basis. I understand that previous complaints have been lodged, and yet the abuse continues. The way I see it, and the way the public sees it, is that anyone wearing a uniform and carrying a nightstick who chooses to overstep his authority and physically abuse an inmate is himself a violent criminal and should be held accountable by the laws of North Carolina. These inmates are incarcerated for a variety of reasons, and many may not even be actually guilty of the crime for which they were convicted. At any rate, their court-ordered sentence was incarceration, and does not include nor condone corporal punishment inflicted at the whim of their keepers.

Here is an account of an incident that came into my possession:

(S.R.'s statement)

I donít wish to be personally insulting towards these corrections officers. Iím sure they have a tough job, and can give many justifications for their actions. Of course, thatís no different from many of the inmates who are there due to acts of violence, is it?

The bottom line is, no inmate deserves this type of abuse, and it should not be allowed (sanctioned) by the state of North Carolina. I know that the mother of Grady (Buckie) Hopper has made numerous complaints to various agencies about the treatment of her son at the hands of guards at Polk Youth Institution. In fact, there is a website detailing his physical decline while incarcerated there. Regardless of North Carolinaís ďtough on crimeĒ stance, these inmates are human beings, and so are their families. It serves no one to allow those in authority to behave in a manner that is beneath the dignity of their position.

Iím writing this office to offer an opportunity to correct the problems with the guard staff at Polk Youth Institution before it becomes a public issue. Iím confident that your office is as anxious as I am to see this problem resolved.

Any criticisms? Suggestions?

Retired-101
02-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Great idea, and a great starting point. I would get that letter out to prison officials and make it clear that you would make every attempt to get that information to elected officials and legal avenues as soon as possible if no action is taken. It might help if you have a copy of any grievances written by any inmates; it proves that inmates themselves have taken the steps to try to correct the problem, rather than having it look like someone from the outside "overeacting". It is a great start, and in doing such, make sure you don't make generic statements; name names. If you want to protect the inmates, by all means do so, but the officers should be named directly. Best of luck to you!