View Full Version : Question : registering as a felon upon release

<3mymichael216
03-16-2010, 08:11 AM
ok, i have a question... when my husband comes home will he have to register as a felon? n how will he go about this-how long does he have when he gets released till hes got to do this? how long will he have to do it? hes got probation n all when he comes home, but none of this was explaned to us.we didnt even know he would need to register when he comes home just because hes a felon. what will he have to do when he goes to register? oh so much information! thanks:)

wifeofMichael
03-16-2010, 06:05 PM
ok, i have a question... when my husband comes home will he have to register as a felon? n how will he go about this-how long does he have when he gets released till hes got to do this? how long will he have to do it? hes got probation n all when he comes home, but none of this was explaned to us.we didnt even know he would need to register when he comes home just because hes a felon. what will he have to do when he goes to register? oh so much information! thanks:)

He must register within 48 hours of release in the county where he plans to reside. Not registering is a 3rd degree felony. We plan to go by the Sheriff's Department on our way home. Course it's only three and a half miles from our house to the Sheriff's Department. Here is a link with this information for all states: http://www.interstatecompact.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=_z_GAg1xGwY%3D&tabid=105&mid=431

<3mymichael216
03-16-2010, 09:29 PM
why thank ya very much! i appreciate it!

BGsWIFEY
03-16-2010, 11:22 PM

He'll get a paper when he gets released explaining that he has 2 register all that. I went w/ my best friend when he got out n he had 2 pay like $20 or $30 - i forget how much but it was around that. I dunno if its like that in every county tho.

<3mymichael216
03-17-2010, 03:58 AM
thank u very much for the info! we(i) reside in pasco right now, but by the time my hubby comes back home we arent sure where we'll be. will he needto register only once, or will he have to every time we move?

wifeofMichael
03-17-2010, 05:54 AM
Only once. And I don't recall it cost anything the register twelve years ago, but times have changed. I'll have to look into it.

Richs_wife
03-17-2010, 02:01 PM
I had to go to probation straight from court. It was then transfered to the county I live in and had to check in with the new probation office the next morning. That is when they told me I had 48 or 72 (because it was a friday) hours to register as a felon with the sheriffs office. It did not cost anything (different counties may charge), I was the only one there & it took about 2 hours. LOTS of paperwork to fill out, finger/palm prints are taken, pictures taken (front, right, left & ALL tattoos). I know it only has to be done once, but I still feel I will FOREVER wear a scarlet letter. Hope this helps!

wifeofMichael
03-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh yes you will. And when there are crimes in the neighborhood, they run the neighbors names and if you are a felon they start looking at you. It never goes away.

lin787
03-17-2010, 03:17 PM
First I didnt believe what I was reading, then I got mad, now Im sad. Did the crime, Did the time, now back off.

It sounds like a make work project. The prison already has all of that information in their computer system

BGsWIFEY
03-17-2010, 07:25 PM
We had to pay in st lucie county and it was april 08. It didnt say on his prison paperwork they gave us that he had to pay, only when we got to the police station 2 register they said it. I remember cause he didnt have it (obviously lol) so i paid it for him. So I figure it depends on the county since it didnt say on the paper work.

After i just wrote that i did some diggin in my closet i still have his paper work from when he was released and on the paper he was handed on release it says "Record of Inmate Discharge" i took a pic on my webcam of the paper so sorry if its blurry but

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ewlljp.jpg

the box that was checked says "Registration = F.S. 775.13 (DC6-177)

so i googled and it was the box for registering as a felon..

REVISED GENERAL FELON REGISTRATION PROCEDURES AND OBLIGATIONS

The general felon registration law (F.S. 775.13) has been revised to "refresh" felony registration records. Any person who has been convicted of a felony or any crime in another jurisdiction that would be a felony if committed in Florida must, unless otherwise excused by the act, register as a convicted felon. The revision indicates that any such person who is within any county as of October 1, 1997, must register with the Sheriff of the county (or FDLE) by no later than December 1, 1997. This provision applies to all general felons. Registration is NOT required if the offender has: (1) Had his or her civil rights restored; (2) Has received a full pardon for the offense for which convicted; (3) Has been lawfully released from incarceration or other sentence or supervision for a felony conviction for more than 5 years, and is not a fugitive from justice on a felony charge or has not been convicted of any offense since release from incarceration or other sentence or supervision. Registration is not required for offenders who are parolees or probationers under the United States Parole Commission if the offenders’ presence in Florida is approved, or if the offenders are under active federal probation supervision, or the offenders have been "lawfully discharged from such parole or probation."

Sexual predators who have registered as required by law are not required to register as felons. The law did not provide the same exemption for sexual offenders who register as required by law. However, this appears to be an oversight, since the sexual offender registration requirement is more demanding than the general felony registration. Failure to register as a general felon is a second degree misdemeanor.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/OGC/Legal-Bulletins/lb9702_8-22.aspx

OH, and i have a copy of the paper the county gave us when he registered. It just says on it date of registraion. who hes living with, bday, crime, conviction date, how long he was in prison, which prison he was in on release, drivers license number, social security number, tattoos, next of kin and a pic

wifeofMichael
03-18-2010, 06:35 AM
It never ends lin. You might as well wear a scarlet letter! Did you know if you plan to visit Pennsylvania for more than forty-eight hours you have to register there? And what if you didn't know that and decided to spend a month with family? What if there was a traffic stop and they chose to run your DL? What then? Are you charged? Because supposedly ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Seriously some of this just boggles the mind.

Relda Copning
03-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Now I'm confused. When my son gets out we were going straight to WV where we will be living permanently. He has no probation so does he still have to register? That makes no sense to me.

wifeofMichael
03-19-2010, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure if he needs to register in Florida if you are immediately leaving the state. Just make sure it is in his release papers that he's leaving the state. WV does not require felons register.

ben's girl
03-19-2010, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't think if his release address is in another state, as is Ben's, that they would have anywhere to register in FL since they won't have an address.

wifeofMichael
03-21-2010, 08:44 AM
I asked my husband and he said they should register in the state they are going to be residing if that state requires it. So best to check with the state. But make sure you are basically going straight there, if you plan on spending a bit of time in Florida upon release go ahead and register.

sotyred
07-17-2010, 02:00 PM
First I didnt believe what I was reading, then I got mad, now Im sad. Did the crime, Did the time, now back off.

It sounds like a make work project. The prison already has all of that information in their computer system

You are absolutely right. Once you've served your time, they shouldn't keep bothering you. You have paid the price. It should already be in the system anyway.

crazy2010
07-17-2010, 04:56 PM
I would register at the nearest place just to make sure this is of those catch 22 situations! It would suck to get out and find out he should have registered, and didn't.

wifeofMichael
07-17-2010, 05:43 PM
All the registration does is give a false sense of security. But, sometimes it actually does help law enforcement. My husband can testify to that. His being a registered felon caused the detective investing the AC thefts to check into his pawn/salvage records. Course the evidence was circumstantial and could have been explained away if my husband had wanted. I'm proud he chose the honest route. Sucks the he had to spend fifteen months away from his family and the next two years (at least) on probation (in a couple of weeks) but it is what it is. We love them, but they messed up and this is the price that must be paid. No matter how much it totally sucks.

Our journey
07-18-2010, 04:42 PM
What happens if you do not have a set address. We were planning on staying in a hotel for a week or so until we find a place and secure a lease. How would that work? And how do they verify your address is legit...do they check on you?

wifeofMichael
07-18-2010, 09:57 PM
They will ask him where he will be releasing to before his release. I honestly don't know what to tell you if you don't already have one. My husband shows up now under the release inmates (though he's still got two weeks) and it has our home addy on it.

or-mtwt
07-19-2010, 10:43 AM
The best thing to do is to call the Sheriff's office ask if you will have to have money to sign in also ask how it must be paid some only except a money order you don't have one the trip is wasted and you have to do it all over again. You should also ask if you move from the address you are at at the time of release do you have to update it. For Pasco you will not need money to sign in but you will have to go the correct place and not all of them we have here are able to do this. If you go to one they can give you a map to the one that you will need to sign into.

Something else do not leave the area of where he is released to before you sign in to P&P/Sheriff's office because if you do you can and will be violated if they find out.

We plan on doing everything we need to get done right out the gate not waiting for anything that way we do not have to worry about anything we don't know about... Remember this is FL and they want you back you are a money maker for them.. and they do not care about anything but YES SIR-NO SIR-NO EXCUSE SIR!! sit and write a list of questions to ask they can be as simple as how long in advance do you have to request a pass to go into another county? or if you can be in the yard of your home or shop and still be in for curfew? if you wish to visit with your family or his how long can you visit if you drive do you have to stop and be in a hotel for curfew? can you drive around the clock? if you ask for a pass to visit can you visit more then one family member in more then one state... like passing though one state stopping then going on passing though another stopping and going on to the next... or do you just have to go all the way to that one or do you need more then one pass in that case..

Remember even though you may think you can do something you best ask first!!

Our journey
07-19-2010, 05:31 PM
I called the sheriff today and they told me you could register with a hotel address. They further explained that upon settling in a permanent residence that address would have to be updated at the DMV so that his Florida I.D card and new address matched.

wifeofMichael
07-20-2010, 06:42 AM
I was going to say you don't have to go back to the SD with regards to a new addy since you must update your address within 30 *I think* days on you DL or Florida ID.

or-mtwt
07-20-2010, 06:58 PM
I was going to say you don't have to go back to the SD with regards to a new addy since you must update your address within 30 *I think* days on you DL or Florida ID.

its 10 days...

wifeofMichael
07-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I figured that was wrong. I *think* it used to be 30 days, but heck I honestly don't recall. I updated mine last time I moved but it's been ten years. I was probably late doing it too. lol

or-mtwt
07-21-2010, 06:13 AM
LOL... yeah I am not looking forward to it myself.. I had called the DOC when this first started up and they told me they can only use their DOC ID for 10 days as where they lived... then they would have to get a state ID to update their address within 10 days... I will be having all my ducks in a row before he comes home so that we don't have this problem along with all the other ones I can see coming our way.. I want to go to P&P and get an appointment to ask some questions of my own. and that will also tell me if I need to find another state to live in before he comes home!

wifeofMichael
07-21-2010, 06:37 AM
We are planning on going to P&P together the first day and if the PO can't see us, to make an appointment and come back. I work within walking distance of where he will be checking in so if I have to take off to meet him for that first real appointment, I will. I have questions of my own.

or-mtwt
07-22-2010, 01:07 PM
We are planning on going to P&P together the first day and if the PO can't see us, to make an appointment and come back. I work within walking distance of where he will be checking in so if I have to take off to meet him for that first real appointment, I will. I have questions of my own.
you know you should make appointment before he gets out so that they will have an opening for you both the day that he comes home. I wish I could have just 11 days to go.. Good luck!!!!! :thumbsup:

wifeofMichael
07-22-2010, 05:00 PM
That's a good idea. I'm going to ask my husband if he wants me to do this when he calls tonight!

pbandk
11-14-2010, 09:33 AM
It says "No. Sex offender only". I am assuming that means we do not have to register even if he's coming from FL, right?

spadesking8118
11-14-2010, 09:36 AM
thats crazy you have to register, they should do all that

ben's girl
11-14-2010, 09:49 AM
It says "No. Sex offender only". I am assuming that means we do not have to register even if he's coming from FL, right?

Check with your local sheriff's office.

wifeofMichael
11-14-2010, 06:10 PM
If the state he is going to be residing in says that, then that's that. Though some states do require them to register if they are even just visiting. And if he comes to Florida again, he'll need to.

amickeyfan
12-02-2010, 08:51 PM
It really is crazy that they must register as a felon. The State knows they are.. why do they need to register :rolleyes: I never understood this. Just as they need to register when they are found guilty and placed on probation, they need to register. To me, it is just another way for the State/County to make money. If you look them up in the County, you see they were convicted with a felony. If you look them up in DOC, you see they did time with felony counts.. why the heck do they have to "register" that they are felons? Money Money Money Money Money as the song goes...:blah:

wifeofMichael
12-09-2010, 05:28 PM
In this county when you register they post it like an arrest and a local rag paper puts your mug shot in it. Bunch of stupidity.

amickeyfan
12-11-2010, 10:21 PM
same thing in this county as well.. In this county, when you come here as a witness from a State prison, when they book you into County, they do the same thing.. new mug shot, arrest is in the paper all over again, listed on the sheriff's site.. my son now looks like he has another arrest on the sheriff's site when he was erroneously transfered down here to be a so called witness :rolleyes: It was listed in the paper too along with the arrests for that day..

jcsmom
12-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I asked that question, and was told this: If there is a crime (like the one they was convicted of) that happens in the area they are registered, they will automatically be in a photo lineup. The police also have the right to bring them in for questioning. I thought after serving your time, that was it. NOPE. I call this forever punishment and harassment.