View Full Version : Explanation of the Federal Half-Way House / CCC

02-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Greyghost, can you explain the whole process of halfway house to me? My fiance' got 12 months and you said before that he could spend the last month in there. How do they work? How do we get him into one? Is it even worth going to one or should he just stay in the camp? And where are they located? How is the visitation? I know these are alot of question. Thanks

03-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Can you explain the whole process of halfway house to me?

Here is some info taken from BOP policy. This should answer some of your questions:

Community Corrections Centers (CCC). CCCs, commonly referred to as "halfway houses," provide suitable residence, structured programs, job placement, and counseling, while the inmates' activities are closely monitored. All CCCs offer drug testing and counseling for alcohol and drug-related problems. During their stay, inmates are required to pay a subsistence charge to help defray the cost of their confinement; this charge is 25% of their gross income, not to exceed the average daily cost of their CCC placements. Failure to make subsistence payments may result in disciplinary action.

These contract facilities, located throughout the United States, provide two program components: the Community Corrections Component and the Prerelease Component:

(1) The Community Corrections Component is designed as the most restrictive option. Except for employment and other structured program activities, an inmate in this component is restricted to the CCC. An inmate shall ordinarily be placed in the Community Corrections Component upon arrival at the CCC.

This orientation period normally lasts for two weeks or until the inmate has demonstrated to CCC staff the responsibility necessary to function in the community. Based on their professional judgment, CCC staff shall determine when an inmate is prepared to advance to the Prerelease Component.

(2) The Prerelease Component is designed to assist inmates making the transition from an institution setting to the community. These inmates have more access to the community and family members through weekend and evening passes.


Home Confinement. Home Confinement is a generic term used to cover all circumstances in which an inmate is required to remain at home during non-working hours of the day. Electronic monitoring equipment is sometimes used to monitor compliance with the program's conditions. These programs provide an opportunity for inmates to assume increasing levels of responsibility, while, at the same time, providing sufficient restrictions to promote community safety and convey the sanctioning value of the sentence.

Home Confinement provides an option for inmates who do not need the structure of a residential facility. Except for inmates who are initially sentenced to and graduate from the Intensive Confinement Center Program, statutory provisions limit the length of Home Confinement to the last 10% of the sentence, or six months, whichever is less. Inmates are required to pay subsistence of 25% of their gross income to defray the costs of Home Confinement and electronic monitoring.

The Bureau is involved in two Home Confinement programs: Home Confinement operates from the Bureau's own network of CCCs and the U.S. Probation Division program.

(a) CCC Contractors. The first form of Home Confinement is CCC contractor-operated programs. In these programs, CCC staff monitor the inmate. Currently, only a few of these programs use electronic monitoring equipment. Supervision is provided by daily telephone contacts and periodic personal contacts in the home and workplace.

(b) U.S. Probation Office. The second form of Home Confinement involves placing federal inmates in programs operated by the U.S. Probation Office. These programs use electronic monitoring equipment with U.S. Probation Officers (USPO) providing supervision.



a. Regular Referrals. Staff shall make recommendations for CCC placements based on assessments of inmate needs for services, public safety, and the necessity of the Bureau to manage its inmate population responsibly. CCCs are a program element and are not to be used as a reward for good institutional behavior, although an inmate's institutional adjustment may be a factor in making a referral determination.

A number of factors must be weighed to determine the length of CCC placement for inmates, including their individual needs and existing community resources. Ordinarily, inmates with shorter sentences do not require maximum CCC placement due to reduced transition needs. Additionally, inmates who are required to spend a portion of time in a CCC as a condition of release (i.e. supervised release or court order) do not require an extended Bureau CCC placement. For example, if the Unit Team determines the inmate needs a six month CCC placement, but the inmate is required to stay in a CCC for 90 days as a condition of release, then the institution shall ordinarily refer the inmate for a 60-90 day CCC placement. Referrals to CCM offices should include a recommendation regarding the length of stay (range), such as recommending 60 to 90 days or 90 to 120 days, etc. This range of at least 30 days allows the CCM to match population needs with budgetary and CCC bed space resources, a process which requires this flexibility.

However, there will be cases when the institution, for various management reasons, wants the CCM to place the inmate not earlier than a specific date. Then, the CCC referral form should specify a recommended placement date rather than a range and further state that the CCM should not adjust that date. The CCM shall adhere to the recommended date, with any adjustment only being downward if budget and/or bed space constraints are a factor.

The following CCC referral guidelines apply:

(1) An inmate may be referred up to 180 days, with placement beyond 180 days highly unusual, and only possible with extraordinary justification. In such circumstances, the Warden shall contact the Regional Director for approval and the Chief USPO in the inmate's sentencing district to determine whether the sentencing judge objects to such placement.

(2) The ultimate goal is to maximize each eligible inmate's chances for successful release and a law-abiding life.

(3) When an inmate has a history of escape or failure in one or more CC Programs, careful review and consideration should be given regarding the suitability of participation and the length of placement.

(4) Inmates with minor medical conditions or disabilities may also be considered for community placement. Inmates are required to assume financial responsibility for their health care while assigned to community programs. Such inmates must provide sufficient evidence to institution staff of their ability to pay for health care while at a CCC prior to the referral being made. When an inmate is unable or unwilling to bear the cost of necessary health care, the inmate shall be denied placement.

(5) Inmates who have been approved for CCC referral and are otherwise appropriate for camp placement shall be transferred to a camp for intermediate placement. The inmate should have completed the Institution Release Preparation Program at the parent institution. The parent institution shall complete the CCC referral packet and the camp should be closer to the inmate’s release residence. This process should be completed to allow the inmate a minimum of a 60 day placement at the camp prior to the acceptance date at the CCC.


LIMITATIONS ON ELIGIBILITY FOR ALL CCC REFERRALS. Inmates in the following categories shall not ordinarily participate in CCC programs:

a. Inmates who are assigned a "Sex Offender" Public Safety Factor.

b. Inmates who are assigned a "Deportable Alien" Public Safety Factor.

c. Inmates who require inpatient medical, psychological, or psychiatric treatment. d. Inmates who refuse to participate in the Inmate Financial Responsibility Program.

e. Inmates who refuse to participate, withdraw, are expelled, or otherwise fail to meet attendance and examination requirements in a required Drug Abuse Education Course.

f. Inmates with unresolved pending charges, or detainers, which will likely lead to arrest, conviction, or confinement.

g. Ordinarily, inmates serving sentences of six months or less.

h. Inmates who refuse to participate in the Institution Release Preparation Program.

i. Inmates who pose a significant threat to the community. These are inmates whose current offense or behavioral history suggests a substantial or continuing threat to the community.

Examples are inmates with repeated, serious institution rule violations, a history of repetitive violence, escape, or association with violent or terrorist organizations.

To determine whether an inmate poses a significant threat, a number of factors must be considered. The key consideration is public safety when assessing the inmate's proclivity for violence or escape against their placement needs.

A waiver of the Public Safety Factor is not required for inmates transferred via unescorted transfer to CCC placements.

Ordinarily, inmates with a single incident of violence should not automatically be excluded from CCC placement. As noted earlier, clearly dangerous inmates should be excluded from CCC placement.

(1) When there exists a basis for significant doubt regarding whether the inmate currently poses a threat to the community, the Warden should consider contacting the Chief USPO in the release district (see the Sample letter (Attachment A)) to seek guidance on the referral's appropriateness. A copy of this letter shall be maintained in the Inmate Central File.

(2) When an inmate is excluded under this subsection, a memorandum, signed by the Warden, shall be prepared and placed in the Inmate Central File to explain the rationale for exclusion from CC Programs.

j. Inmates whose admission and release status is pretrial, holdover, or detainee.

11. REFUSALS. When an eligible inmate refuses CCC placement, staff shall investigate the inmate's reasons. Staff may honor an inmate's refusal of CCC placement.

Suitable reasons to decline placement might include previous CCC failure, potential conflict with other residents, and location or remoteness from release residence. When the inmate does not present a suitable reason, and the unit team believes that a placement would serve a correctional need, the unit team shall make every effort to encourage participation.

When an inmate refuses placement, a memorandum, signed by the Associate Warden (Programs) and the inmate, shall be placed in the Inmate Central File. The memorandum should document the inmate's rationale for refusal and all unit team effort to encourage participation.


03-03-2004, 09:55 AM
How do they work?

>> Hopefully, the previous post helped you answer this question.

How do we get him into one?

>> You can't do anything. It all will depend on him and his Unit Team. As a general practice, his Unit Team will want him to go, and try and him to go. So if it is something that he wants, it shouldn't be a problem getting him into a halfway house.

Is it even worth going to one or should he just stay in the camp?

>> This is a question that only he could answer. As for myself, if I was serving a sentence of 12 months, I would probably prefer to just serve out my time in the prison camp. Going to a halfway house can be a hassle at times. And, by the time he becomes eligible to go he will already have a comfortable routine going for him at the camp. But in the end, it will be up to him. (For me on a sentence of 12 months, I would pass on halfway house - that's me though).

And where are they located?

>> All over the U.S.

How is the visitation?

>> This also will vary from place to place.

Good luck


03-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Refusing halfway house can and has been looked upon as a disciplinary problem and the inmate can be given a shot or spend their halfway house time in the hole..IT HAS HAPPENED. My hubby said the same thing, he would have rather spent it at the camp than in the halfway house, but with those refusing, ending up in the hole, the halfway house was a much better option.

In the end, my husband had a 12 month sentence, was given 30 days of halfway house, only spent 12 days there and they released him to home..actually last night was his first night home..for good.

03-04-2004, 01:46 PM
I know several ladies who refused halfway house and were disciplined as a result-i.e. loss od Unicor jobs, put on mantainence pay, etc. So it does happen.

03-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Thus "Encouragement to participate" is the BOP's definition of "discipline".

If your fiance indeed would rather skip halfway house, have him check thoroughly with other inmates at his facility to find out what types of "participation encouragement" they use before deciding to refuse halfway house

03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
It may actually be in his best interest to ours it was, he was home sooner than he would have been had he refused....18 days sooner

03-04-2004, 05:29 PM
To answer your other questions, halfway house is used to reintegrate into society. He will be expected to try to find a job and can go to work. It would be a good idea to renew his drivers' license before he goes if it expires during that time so that he doesn't have to retake any tests. If he has a car, you should go in ahead of time and take in the title, proof of insurance and a copy of his valid driver's license. I filled out all of hubbby's paperwork before he got there. I picked him up on a Friday and since he already had a job to go to, he started work that 1st Monday. He has to pay 25% of his gross wages to the halfway house for his bed space and that will continue for the whole 30 days even though he has been sent home. There will be minimum visitation on the first week. Ours had 2 hours on Thurs night, Sat afternoon and Sun afternoon. The next weekend he was eligible for a weekend pass and spent the weekend at home. He had to fill out an itinerary of everywhere he would be and each place had to have a phone that they could get ahold of him on at any time...and yes they do call and ck....often.

He must call when he gets to work and again when he is ready to leave and someone from the halfway house comes to work to make sure he is really here...they are discrete tho.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

03-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to find out if there is a facility in the city we live? Thanks!

03-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Which city is that?

03-05-2004, 08:39 PM
I live in Springfield, Missouri. He's currently at FCI Seagoville. I just want to have as much information as possible when the time comes for the next step this winter. Thanks!

03-05-2004, 09:07 PM

Wow...husband came home last night for good...and you are here posting! Dedicated member! :p

Just wanted to extend a warm welcome home! Hope days from here out only grow more beautiful for you and your family! Welcome home!


03-06-2004, 08:49 AM
I would try contacting someone at the address below, they can probably tell you where the closest halfway house is. I would bet by the size of Springfield that there is probably one there, but call and check it out before taking my word for it.

St. Louis CCM Office
The Robert A. Young Building
1222 Spruce Street, Ste. 6.101
St. Louis, MO 63103
314-539-2376, Fax: 314-539-2465
Districts: Southern Illinois, Southern Indiana, Eastern Missouri
Facility Code: CST

Thanks Kintlm2u, it is nice to have him home. Nicest part was that we work at the same place so even when he was at the halfway house, we did see each other every day.

03-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks jft!!! I really appreciate the help, and I am very happy that the two of you are together again. Take care.

Seize the day-

03-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Who do I call to find out the nearest half-way house to me? I live in north Texas, Wichita Falls and have been led to believe that there are no half-way houses close to here. How does that affect the, being released to home, part of his half-way house?
Thank you for all the info so far, I haven't been let down by anyone at this site. Counting the days, hopefully the 2nd of Jan 04, till half-way house!

03-07-2004, 05:20 PM
From , here are some listings of CCM offices in Texas. I am unfamiliar with maybe you can figure what's closest. If you call the location, they might be able to answer some questions.
Note...these are not the actually locations of the CCC...only the offices.

Community Corrections Management Offices

Dallas CCM Office
4211 Cedar Springs Road, Ste 100
Dallas, TX 75219
214-224-3522, Fax: 214-224-3367
Districts: Oklahoma, Northern Texas
Facility Code: CDA

El Paso CCM Office
4849 North Mesa Street, Ste. 208
El Paso, TX 79912
915-534-6326, Fax: 915-534-6432
Districts: New Mexico, Western Texas (Midland, Pecos, Del Rio, and El Paso Division)
Facility Code: CEP

Houston CCM Office
515 Rusk Avenue, Rm. 12016
Houston, TX 77002
713-718-4781, Fax: 713-718-4780
District: Southern Texas
Facility Code: CHN

San Antonio CCM Office
727 H.F. Garcia Blvd., Ste. B138
San Antonio, TX 78206
210-472-6225, Fax: 210-472-6224
District: Western Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Waco)
Facility Code: CSA

03-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks JZTGRL, I have been waiting a long time to strangle him myself for being stupid, but didn't want to be accused of "damaging federal property" lol

No, actually it has been great having him home so far, we are still getting used to one another and the changes that have occured in both of us. He is not used to me being stronger and more take charge and I am not used to him being so compliant. Will take some time I am sure, (although I do not plan on changing!!)

03-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Thank you for your reply kintml2u, I'll give them a call.

03-10-2004, 07:15 PM
jft, I hear you about the whole strangling thing. JT is already aware of the restitution he is going to have to come up with for me. However, I remind him every chance I get. I look at it like he's an investment now, and better have a great return. LOL. Honestly, having him home is going to be difficult when all is said and done, but he is and always will be my big man.

03-28-2004, 07:38 AM
does anyone ever skip the half-way house and just do the complete last 10% on home confinement? my sister was sentenced to 12 months 1 day, owns her home, has a great job prospect for when she's home, and lots of family to help her when she comes home. since she will be at seatac for such a short time, she really doesn't need to be "reintegrated" into society. the last 10% would put her home early december, so we are sure hoping to have her home for the holidays!!

03-28-2004, 12:56 PM
I know that the policy in the halfway house I was in was that you had to go on at least one weekend home pass before you could go on home confinement.

03-28-2004, 01:54 PM
how soon after you got there were you able to go on the first weekend pass? thanks so much for your help!!

03-28-2004, 02:02 PM
I had to find a job first before I was able to go on a weekend pass. That took me awhile. When you first arrive they let you go home for 4 hours to get your clothes, etc. As soon as I got a job they let me go home on a pass the following weekend.

Now it is my understanding that the rules vary from halfway house to halfway house. I had friends that were released at the same time I was who told me their halfway house was different in many ways than mine was.

03-28-2004, 06:42 PM
hopefully the rules are different where she goes. i know it can take a while to find a job so it doesn't even seem practical for her to even try when she gets to the halfway house as she will only be there for about 30 days and the halfway house isn't really even close enough to the town we live in to commute every day for a job here in this town. i know how cold and uncaring some of the rules and policies are so i guess we'll just deal with it as it happens. i just worry about her cuz she's my baby sister. thanks so much for the info!!

03-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Yes, you can go directly to home confinement without having to spend anytime in a halfway house. It does happen.

03-29-2004, 08:19 PM
are there special circumstances this happens or can a person just request it? what kinds of things do they look at when they consider letting a person skip the halfway house? and who makes the final decision? i hope i'm not being a bother, i'm just hoping to have sissy home in time for christmas!! thanks so much for all your help!! you guys are wonderful!!

03-30-2004, 12:26 AM
The times when one goes "directly" to home confinement - without being in a CCC for a time - are usually related to geography. For example, there are few CCCs in the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, etc. If you don't live in a city and are from one of those areas, especially if you have a job already promised, then it is more likely. Unfortunately, it is just as likely that they's put you in a CCC 4 hours from your home and tell you to get a job in that area for the CCC stay.

07-22-2004, 12:37 AM
I am counting in Texas too, althoug it is awhile for release to halfway house. Does anyone know which houses are in Southeast or East Texas. I have had no luck so far searching them, but perhaps I am searching incorrectly. I currently live in Beaumont but am soon (hopefully) moving to Wildwood. Somewhere in the general area is what we are looking for, his mother lived in Buna. But may be better not to be close to there.

07-30-2004, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know anything about the halfway houses in New York State. My fiancee will be released to one in Dec. or Jan. I'm not sure if there are any near me. What happens if he finds a job where we live but the CCC is far from us?

08-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know if you can take online classes or video classes while in a halfway house? They also require one meeting a month on campus. I would think it would be ok because it is bettering your life, but I don't know the policy.

04-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Does anyone have any information on the Keeton Corrections Federal Halfway House in Ocala FL? My husband will be going there in a couple of months and we are just trying to get an idea of what the rules are for that facility and kind of what to expect.

04-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Here's a link to the private prison company's web page, with phone and email contacts.

He will receive a rule book when he arrives there, but they might send one to you if you ask.