View Full Version : International Travel with a federal criminal record?

mimikitty
03-17-2004, 05:50 AM
Would anyone know if having a federal record could prevent you from travelling abroad once you are freed?

mimikitty
03-17-2004, 05:53 AM
I pressed return by accident :argh

Anyway...as I was saying. I plan on travelling to Japan and Germany once I am released, but I have heard that having a criminal record could potentially prevent me from entering a foreign country. Has anyone heard something to this effect?

Thank you!

ButterflyDancer
03-17-2004, 06:58 AM
For what it's worth. Read in another post that international travel may be restricted by the country you are wishing to enter as far as its policies regarding former felony convictions. Another post reflected that an existing passport was confiscated but returned after a sentence was completed. The best bet I know would be to access the site for the country you wish to enter and find out that nation's rules. If you don't currently hold a passport, you might want to search a site for US passport rules and regs. Also, a good travel agency or air line person could probably tell you in two minutes what you want to know. Not an instant answer but a "dig" for it one. Hope your travel wishes come true. WJ

hkieffer
03-18-2004, 08:40 PM
When on Supervised Release, permission from the Judge is required for international travel. Probation WILL be asked for their recommendation, so it is better to get that FIRST.

Japan will not allow entry by convicted felons (VISA required). Ditto for Canada and Australia.

escamillo
03-19-2004, 01:22 AM
European PTO members have told me that the European Community will not allow a convicted felon to enter their countries for 4 to five years after release, and each country has different rules. It is important to investigate details at the embassies before attempting a trip.

Un abrazo,
Andrés

mimikitty
03-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Japan will not allow entry by convicted felons (VISA required). Ditto for Canada and Australia.What do you mean by "(VISA required)"? I was born in Japan, but I have U.S. citizenship, have gotten visa's for long stays in Japan on numerous occasions but I normally just go for short stays, so I haven't applied for a visa in quite awhile...with all this in mind, will I NEVER be allowed back into Japan again? :(

ButterflyDancer
03-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Have you maintained dual citizenship? Or, US citizenship only? As noted above I would contact a Japanese consulate with your question. If you have family living in Japan and speak to them internationally they might be able to provide you with the information in writing from an official source. I can see why this is very important to you.

I wonder how travel on domestic/international airlines is affected for those with felony convictions since Homeland Security has taken hold. Does someone know?

WJ

lwotto1
06-27-2004, 12:17 PM
What about travel to France, Italy & Switzerland if I got out 12/2000, finished supervised release 12/2003, and have my passport back (still valid from a "date" standpoint)? Will I havee a problem?

dnovak
06-29-2004, 11:03 AM
I completed supervised release in December 2000. Since that time I have been to Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and eight different EC countries. I have had to fill out Visa requrests for Australia and Japan - both of which asked about previous felonies. I answered all questions honestly and was granted tourist visas in both cases. I had heard lots of rumors about Australia not allowing felons to visit but found them to be completely false.

cjjack
06-29-2004, 11:05 AM
That is good news!!

What about travelling out of the country while you are still on supervised release?

Phil in Paris
06-29-2004, 01:27 PM
What about travel to France, Italy & Switzerland if I got out 12/2000, finished supervised release 12/2003, and have my passport back (still valid from a "date" standpoint)? Will I havee a problem?

I can't answer about Switzerland since they are not in the European Union, but you can travel to France or Italy since US citizens don't need a visit for a stay in Europe which doesn't exceed 3 months.

During those 3 months you could travel as you wish (no passport control), within the 15 countries of what is called the Schengen zone.

The 15 Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden. All these countries except Norway and Iceland are European Union members.

So you can fly from Finland to Greece the same way you fly fom NYC to LA.

Phil

pjarcinas
03-30-2011, 03:49 AM
I completed supervised release in December 2000. Since that time I have been to Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and eight different EC countries. I have had to fill out Visa requrests for Australia and Japan - both of which asked about previous felonies. I answered all questions honestly and was granted tourist visas in both cases. I had heard lots of rumors about Australia not allowing felons to visit but found them to be completely false.

hi, most of the countries that you visited does not require a tourist visa for US national however u applied for one because of your felony convictions?

pls tell me the procedure, i love travelling and i was just wondering if my husband can still go with me once hes released. his case is conspiracy ( attempted export of gun parts).