View Full Version : Enforced haircuts for women

Learningthruask
03-18-2004, 09:04 AM
A previous thread "Info on Tutwiler Women's Prison in Alabama - Receiving" states

"Then you are ready for your haircut. All women's hair is supposed to be above or right about the collar. So if your hair is long, you might want to think about cutting it before you come, or at least you'll be warned."

Is this unique to Tutwiler, or practiced at all women's prisons?

FriscoLady
03-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Don't know about all states, but in VA it is the same as Tutwiler.

Patti

ToughTimes
03-23-2004, 05:15 PM
The women at Dodge Correctional in Wisconsin have hair of all lengths, as do the males.

sandyrockdiva
03-27-2004, 08:53 PM
What is the hair length policy at Lexington, KY . I am going to be going there and I am a slightly worried. Any other info would be of great help!!!!

FriscoLady
03-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Sandy,

Have you checked the Federal Forums or the Prison Profile Forums? You may find the answers you need there.

Patti

SandC4E
03-28-2004, 04:02 AM
Maine doesn't have any rules regarding hair.

UrbanCactusGrow
05-08-2004, 08:57 AM
A previous thread "Info on Tutwiler Women's Prison in Alabama - Receiving" states

"Then you are ready for your haircut. All women's hair is supposed to be above or right about the collar. So if your hair is long, you might want to think about cutting it before you come, or at least you'll be warned."

Is this unique to Tutwiler, or practiced at all women's prisons?

This was a shock. How do they enforce this rule? Are inmate's simply shorn when they first arrive, or are there regular inspections and further enforced cuttings?

MESLS
05-12-2004, 12:25 PM
My daughter has shoulder length hair. No mention has been made to her about a haircut (Lexington). I am certain she would have told me. I guess if hair was the Crystel Gayle length, they might have some concern...