View Full Version : Mt. Olive Correctional Complex; Mt. Olive, West Virginia

justvicki
04-17-2004, 08:03 PM
1 Mountainside Way
Mt. Olive, West Virginia 25185
(Phone) 304-442-7213
(Fax) 304-442-7225

Mission Statement:

Provide for the custody, control and care of adult, male felons who have been convicted of severe crimes against man or nature and committed to the custody of the WVDOC.

Preserve order in all facilities by the safe, secure and humane management of the highest risk inmates in the custody of the WVDOC.

Prevent duplication of resources by providing medical and mental health care for the most ailing and infirmed inmates in the custody of the WVDOC.

Restructure inmate conduct through behavior driven and cognitive restructuring programs, as appropriate, that facilitate the inmate controlling his own behavior within the facility, transfer to a less secure facility or reintegration into society.

Develop and empower professional correctional staff to manage high-risk inmates and to function as effective leaders and team members.

History:

Built as a replacement for the Civil War-era West Virginia Penitentiary at Moundsville, Mount Olive Correctional Complex (MOCC) is located seven (7) miles east of Montgomery on Cannelton Hollow Road in Fayette County. MOCC is the state's only maximum-security correctional facility and has a current capacity of 1,112 inmates.

Construction of MOCC began in the spring of 1991 and was completed in December 1994. The facility was dedicated on December 12, 1994 and received it first inmates on February 14, 1995. Inmate transfers were completed on March 27, 1995 and the West Virginia Penitentiary was closed. Total construction costs for MOCC were $61.8 million.

The facility is encompassed by a secure perimeter fence approximately one (1) mile long. Of the 120 acre site, approximately 80 acres are inside the secure perimeter. Extensive use is made of both electronic and manual security controls. MOCC operates as a small town, having its own post office and zip code, power plant, electrical sub-station, fuel depot, water supply, central warehouse, maintenance garage, hospital and medical clinic, gymnasium, chapel, library, classrooms, courtroom, food service and laundry facilities.

Professionals through contractual agreements provide medical, dental, mental health and food services. The West Virginia Department of Education provides many educational and vocational programs for the inmate population such as ABE/GED, Transition Skills, Business Education, Graphic Communication/Printing Technology, Welding, Culinary Arts and Building Construction. An Apprenticeship Program in Food Service or Janitorial Service is also available. Limited college courses are available through the West Virginia University Institute of Technology. West Virginia Correctional Industries operates an engraving factory, sign and welding shop, janitorial supply factory and manufactures license plates for the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles.

In July 2007, MOCC opened a 48-bed Inmate Work Camp outside of the secure perimeter for inmates holding an appropriate security classification. These inmates provide labor and community service to various agencies/charitable organizations throughout the local area. MOCC also provides these inmates to the West Virginia Division of Highways for various labor projects.

In September 2007, MOCC underwent an intensive audit by the American Correctional Association. Auditors spent three (3) days at MOCC examining policy, procedures and interacting with staff and inmates. MOCC was found to be in compliance with required national standards and was granted accreditation. MOCC became the fourth DOC facility, and is the largest facility, to receive accreditation.

Personnel:

* Warden - David Ballard
* Associate Warden of Programs - Jason Collins
* Associate Warden of Security - Paul Parry
* Associate Warden of Operations - Tim Whittington

Bonnie
04-18-2004, 11:49 AM
I used to work here. This is where I met my husband. I am a fount of information for those who need it...

God bless

weasel101877
01-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Bonnie,
If you have any information that you can give me about this place and how things work such as visitation and things please email me. My boyfriend was just transfered to MOCC and I know nothing about the place.
He doesn't know that I know he has moved already but I am the type of person that I research everything and learn all I can about a place or anything.

Thanks Heather

radio25801
01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
i may have to go there someday if convicted please tell me everything i can expect i have many friends on their way there too. thanks....

kimi
02-17-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm look to see if there is a inmate still in MOCC. IF any one can help me find this info Please let me know

robs_angel
10-13-2005, 10:27 PM
hello my hubby to be is at MOCC , been there 2 mons, he has spent 2 1/2 yrs at scrj,
Sarah Moats
Robs_angel

OompaLoompa
04-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Merca.

prissygal
09-28-2006, 09:11 AM
i am new and would like to know when i will have enough priviledges to see the pic of Mt. Olive. Thank You.

justvicki
09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi prissgal!

Welcome to PTO and the WV Forum. I'm not sure why you can't see the pic of MOCC, but it's the same as the one on the WVDOC link.

http://www.wvf.state.wv.us/wvdoc/mocc.HTM

Hope this helps.

Ms. Renee
11-23-2006, 09:17 PM
My son/Scott was also at SCRJ and was transfered to MOCC a couple of weeks ago.

chad'sgirl1224
08-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi my husband to be is going to MOCC very soon.

justvicki
08-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi! Welcome to PTO and the WV Forum. My fiancee has been at MOCC since September of last year.

chad'sgirl1224
08-19-2007, 03:03 PM
My Husband to be is now at Mount Olive and I am just missing him badly.

haajca
11-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi,
My husband will me going to MOCC soon, can anyone give me an idea how visitation works? We have a 5 year old son so I would like to have an idea of how it works before I try to take him with me. Also, does anyone know what types of items the inmates are allowed to have (my husband is latino and loves his salsa & jalapenos *smiles*)? Do the inmates have any type of computer or email access (if so I would like to go ahead and start working on a website that he can visit to keep up with our son)? Any information you guys could help me with would be greatly appreciated!!!

justvicki
11-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi! Welcome to PTO and the WV Forum!

WV inmates have no access to the internet or e-mail, so you will have to stay in touch via snail mail and telephone.

Has he classified yet or is he still in a regional jail? If in a regional he will have to be classified and it will be several months before he will be able to get special packages, which all have to be ordered by the inmate through the commissary now. Also, you will have to be on the approved visitors listed before being allowed to visit and that can take several weeks.

He will get a packet once at the facility that will have all the information that you are looking for and it will be current. Sometimes things can change in a few months time.

Good luck!

shortswife
03-12-2008, 07:05 PM
My finacee was transfered to MOCC thirty-three days ago and is still trying to learn the rules and how things work. So if anyone can give me any information it would be very helpful.

ynotps
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
My nephew has been at Mt. Olive almost 2 years. He said compared to other prisons he's been in, Mt. Olive is actually not bad (as far as prison goes). Not much fighting or turmoil for the most part. He did say don't trust anyone, inmate or co, as there are a lot of snitches. He liked it better when he first got there, as they have been changing some of the rules there the last few months, but still, not a bad place for a max security prison.

sweetsassafrass
09-19-2008, 12:45 PM
My father-in-law is at Mount Olive. If I go visit, I'm not allowed to bring my meds I take every 4 hours. :cuffs: I am disabled from severe anxiety and bipolar. I rarely go anywhere, but I want to go see him very badly. I guess I'll med up and endure. :p Seeing him is worth the discomfort. I just hope I don't have a bad episode in the visiting room. :faint:

cheezyswvgrl
01-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I have a question about writing inmates. I have a friend that was in a regional jail and met a guy there and she went on to prison and later so did he. They were allowed to write each other while in prison although they were different prisons they were able to keep in contact with one another. She got out and the continued to write back and forth to one another until the prison found out that she was no longer incarcerated the mail from him stopped coming and the mail going to him from her stopped going to him.

Can you tell me why it was ok to keep in contact with one another while both were incarcerated and then when one of the gets out they were not allowed to have contact with one another? You would have thought that it would be the other way around. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated..Thanks

justvicki
01-04-2009, 11:18 PM
First let me say Welcome to PTO and the WV Forum!

Has her mail been returned to her from MOCC? (I am assuming he is at Mt. Olive) If so, it should have a reason stamped on it. Also, when any mail is returned, the inmate is notified who it is from and why it was returned.

I have to admit I am surprised they were allowed to correspond with one another, as most facilities do not allow it without special permission from the Warden. By any chance was she at Lakin, and is she currently on parole?

cheezyswvgrl
01-06-2009, 06:59 AM
Yes, Vicki she was at Lakin. They could correspond with other inmates at any prison including MOCC. After she got home when she would write to him she never got any of the letters back no letters ever came from him when she would write to him. I know at one that he had sent to her a visitation thing and she never got it. He told her in the letter that he was sending it and she sent a letter back to him saying that they must have taken it out because she didn't get it. She said that they would read the letters coming in and out of the prison because of the security risks. They never talked about anything that would give them the idea of any security risks...That was never a thought for them. I understand that there are certain rules to follow but what difference did it make as to who you write to and don't write to? It just didn't make sense to me when she was telling me about it. I don't see why they would stop the correspondance that the inmates have to the outside world. I always thought that they encouraged all family and friends to write to the inmates at least that is what I have been told from friends that have been in the prison system..My opinion only...thanks for the reply...

justvicki
01-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I would suggest that he speak to his counselor or unit manager about it. It is so very odd that mail that she has sent has not been returned to her as refused by MOCC. Is she on parole? I don't know that her PO would have an issue with her corresponding with an inmate, but you never know and she may want to talk to them about it to make sure its okay.