View Full Version : South Central Regional Jail

justvicki
04-18-2004, 02:07 AM
1001 Centre Way
Charleston, WV 25309-1001
304-558-1336

The South Central Regional Jail is located in the Capitol City of Charleston, West Virginia, and is one of ten regional jails that will be operating in our state. This facility was opened in 1993 and its podular design consists of three upgraded pods which house approximately 350 inmates with a maximum capacity of 372. The South Central Region is comprised of Kanawha and Jackson Counties; however, until the Western Regional Jail is completed, inmates from Lincoln and Putnam Counties are also housed at the South Central Regional Jail. Of course, the jail also houses city, state, and federal inmates.

The facility contains a modern computerized Booking Department; the state’s only Forensic Evaluation Unit; a closed-circuit video communication system known as the “Courtroom of the Future” which allows various hearings to be held without offenders ever leaving the facility; a gymnasium; a medical unit manned around the clock; a full-time teacher; a counseling staff; a professional training staff and training facility; and much more. The facility is staffed by 82 uniformed correctional officers and approximately thirty non-uniformed staff members. The uniformed staff is well disciplined and maintains a military-style rank structure headed by an Administrator, a Chief Correctional Officer, and a 1st Sergeant.

Located in the mid-southern portion of the state, Charleston, as the Capitol City, is culturally diversified. There are many historical landmarks located within this facility's area of operations including the West Virginia State Capitol, The Culture and History Archives and Museum, and the Kanawha State Forest. Home to several public and private colleges and universities, the state's largest city offers an array of opportunities for those in pursuit of higher education. Charleston also has a variety of entertainment for both the culturally refined and the avid sportsman. Beautifully nestled in the confluence of the Kanawha and Elk Rivers, Charleston offers a variety of water sports, including boating, skiing and fishing. The newly constructed Haddad Riverfront Park serves as a focal point for the city’s annual Labor Day celebration known as the Charleston Sternwheel Regatta. Just around the block, visitors will find the Charleston Civic Center, the state's largest concert hall, which attracts a variety of artists from all aspects of the entertainment world.

Providing an atmosphere for the traditional American family, Charleston offers several large outdoor parks, including Little Creek, Coonskin, Waterways, Daniel Boone, and Rock Lake. Within ten minutes of this facility is the area's fastest growing business community offering a wide variety of shopping malls, restaurants, theaters and accommodations. Prominently situated in Charleston's mountain “skyline” is both Yeager Airport, by far the state's largest.

Visiting:

Phone registration accepted.

Visits may be scheduled by calling 304.558.1339 during the hours of 8:00 am -4:00 pm on the designated days listed below.

Effective May 21 2002 - Inmates will be allowed a maximum of two visits per week and that number will include any approved contact visit.

Monday No Visitation: Call for Tuesday Visitation.
Tuesday Visitation from: 8:30 am - 10:30 am
Wednesday No Visitation: Call for Thursday Evening Visitation
Thursday Visitation from: 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Call for Saturday Visitation.
Friday No Visitation: Call for Sunday Visitation
Saturday Visitation from: 8:30 am - 10:30 am
Sunday Visitation from: 8:30 am - 10:30 am

may556
05-29-2005, 06:44 AM
my daughter just left here. Most guard are very rude and don't care. Calling to make an appointment to visit was a nightmare for me, you can never get through unless you can sit at home and hit redial constantly, I work and It was real had for me to do this. But every moment I could spend with her was worth all the hassells in the world. She is federal so she could only leave with marshall's. she is now in Carter County Detention Center waiting on sentencing in July. Hopefully she will go to Alderson, which will be close for me. Thanks, just wanted to let you know about phone situation here. Debbie

robs_angel
10-13-2005, 09:22 PM
i used to work there, thats where i met my hubby to be, so yes i am an inmate lover, i found my soul mate there, yes they are very bad to inmates there, and most everyone there doesnt care about anything or anyone,

Sarah Moats
Robs_angel

questionsinWV
12-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Any info that you could give me about the mail policy or exactly how letters need to be addressed would be great!

paulaann1
12-18-2005, 12:26 AM
hi i sent a letter to my boyfriend to the north central found out to late that hewas transferred to western i called central and they said that they will send his mail to him do you think they will

justvicki
12-18-2005, 10:46 PM
I know some regionals do forward mail, but it's my experience that most mail for inmates that have been transferred is returned to the sender.

catwoman_32206
07-24-2006, 12:54 AM
:mad: , My boyfriend is in here and he has been in since Jan.2006 and I need to know if someone can help me find out if he is out, or when will he get out? I live in Florida! Someone please help me? Thank you!

justvicki
07-24-2006, 10:48 PM
http://www.wvrja.com/

Check on the offender seach button. Type in his name. It will tell you if he is still incarcerated in a WV regional jail. Unfortunately it will not tell you a release date.

Good luck!

Jas0n'S girL 05
07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
hello. my fiancee got arrested on May 18,06, he was drivin on a suspended licenses and speeding and got pulled over, and they let him go on that, but he is being held for breaking his HC, he was an accesory in a stolen car, he didnt get indicted until '02, which he did the crime in '00 and he did 196 days in jaiL, and then was given a year of home confinement where his lawyer said he'd get the 6 months he did in jail towards his HC, after my bf did 7 months he called his lawyer but he would not take his calls, so he cut off his bracelet, and his HC officer knew he did it, and they knew were he lived, but didn't come to his house, and now in '06 he is now just gettin held for it, he got booked on may 18, and Judge Irene Berger sentenced him to his presentence of 1-5 years on July 14th, he did get time served, so he has around 17-18 months in, so he has the mininum of his sentence in, and his lawyer said he is eligable for parole, and once his papers go thu, he will go in front of them. my baby has never went in front of them, and this is his first offense, plus his crime wasn't voilent to society, and supposedly they are giving alot of ppl parole first time if it isn't voilent. He got sentenced to prison, he's in the B-pub right now in SCRJ, and he's been there for a week, and still hasn't gotten his prison number, so we're thinkin his lawyer hasn't send his time sheet in yet, which i need to call him. But this is the first time, I've ever had to deal with a guy I love being in jail, and I have no idea about any of this stuff dealing with jail/prisons.. Do you think maybe my boy will get parole on his first time, or get turned down? And do you think he'll eventually make it to prison?? And how long does it usually take for inmates to get their time sheet? If you can message me, {send me a private message} cause i dont know how to check these messages cause im new, about this stuff, it mean alot to me !!

Thanks

justvicki
07-25-2006, 07:30 PM
WVDOC sentenced inmates have to be classified in order to receive their DOC (prison) number, and classification is only done at the DOC facilities and not the regional jails. He should receive his timesheet, however, within six weeks of sentencing. If he hasn't gotten by then he should write to the Central Office in Charleston and ask for it.

According to the Central Office WVDOC inmates are transferred from the regional jail facilities "as beds become available and according to their parole dates." That really doesn't tell anyone much. However, again an inmate has to be classified before they can see the board, and that has to be done at a DOC facility.

Its really hard to say what the possibilities are regarding making parole the first time before the board. It does happen, but it really depends on a lot of factors and its impossible to read the board's mind.

Good luck!

Jas0n'S girL 05
07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
WVDOC sentenced inmates have to be classified in order to receive their DOC (prison) number, and classification is only done at the DOC facilities and not the regional jails. He should receive his timesheet, however, within six weeks of sentencing. If he hasn't gotten by then he should write to the Central Office in Charleston and ask for it.

According to the Central Office WVDOC inmates are transferred from the regional jail facilities "as beds become available and according to their parole dates." That really doesn't tell anyone much. However, again an inmate has to be classified before they can see the board, and that has to be done at a DOC facility.

Its really hard to say what the possibilities are regarding making parole the first time before the board. It does happen, but it really depends on a lot of factors and its impossible to read the board's mind.

Good luck!

Thank you! But what kind of factors does it depend on? Like he's going to class to get his GED, he hasn't gotten in any trouble, and he still has all his goodtime. I mean could he get out early for good behavior?

justvicki
07-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Unfortunately there is no early out for good behavior in the WVDOC system. Its great that he's working on his GED and has no write ups. That's something that the board will look closely at. They will also consider the crime itself, whether or not he had any priors and will also ask from input from the sentencing judge, the prosecutor, the community and the victim if there is one.

Good luck!

Jas0n'S girL 05
07-26-2006, 11:16 AM
ohh well, his lawyer said that the judge and prosecutin attorney dont have a say in if he gets it or not, and since this is his first offense im sure that would look good also, plus his sentence was 1-5 years but he already has 18 months in, is he capable that he may have to do the full 5 years? and how long does it take papers to go thu, and for them to go in front of the parole board?

justvicki
08-01-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure why the attorney would say that the sentencing judge and prosecutor have nothing to do with it, because the Parole Board always asks for input from both when making their decision. They also contact the arresting officer, victim (if there was one), and in some cases people in the community where the inmate lived. Unfortunately, if it is all negative, it will have a big impact on the board's decision.

Someone who is doing a sentence of 1-5 years is eligible to see the board in 1 year if they have not lost any good time for disciplinary write-ups. He should have gotten a time sheet with his parole eligibility date on it within 6 weeks of being sentenced. If he has done 18 months on a 1-5 and has not lost any good time, then he is 6 months past due seeing the board. He should talk to his counselor or unit manager about it. Just remember, though, as I stated in my previous posts, an inmate has to be classified and have a DOC number before they can see the board and as far as I know at this time, that cannot be done at a regional jail. It has to been done at a DOC facility.

It is possible to discharge a 1-5 sentence without loss of good time in 2 1/2 years. Some inmates actually choose to do this and not even see the board because they don't want to be on "paper" when they are released.

The parole board issues a list of the inmates who are elibility for parole each month at each facility. Some facilities even post the list.

Good luck!

Jas0n'S girL 05
08-03-2006, 07:27 AM
ohhh well it's only been like almost 4 weeks since he got sentenced, i'm at thee beach right now, and i don't know what's been going on, he said the last day i talked to him before i left, that the parole board was comin down to see ppl and he may go in front of them so i dunno, i wont kno nething til the 14th ...i'm just hoping when i get home and talk to him i hear something good.. but he has 17 being the lowest time he's done and 19 months somewhere round there is how much time he's already done. he has only been in jail this time for 3 months, but he got time served for the time he did before.. but thank you for helping me with this (:

justvicki
08-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Have a great time at the beach and hopefully he'll have some good news for you when you get back!!!

Jas0n'S girL 05
08-06-2006, 08:06 PM
what is div. of corrections offender?

justvicki
08-06-2006, 11:37 PM
A Division of Corrections offender is someone who has been convicted of a felony charge and received a sentence to be confined in a DOC facilty.

Jas0n'S girL 05
08-11-2006, 02:30 PM
i don't understand.. what do you mean recieved a sentence to be confined in a DOC facilty? he can still get parole and stuff right?

BRIAN'S GIRL
08-11-2006, 02:58 PM
JASON's girl,

BRIAN'S GIRL
08-11-2006, 03:05 PM
jason's girl look what vicki is trying to tell you is he will not see the board at all until he geta department of correction number which won't be long, and corrections means prison the just like there is a division for the everything government in a state well prison's are a state department, and i think you better check with thislawyer again because vicki is 100% right it does matter what the judge and proscutor say all it takes is one word from them on why he should be paroled and 9 out 10 chances he is denied

but now don't worry he only got a 1-5 that only 24 moths he has done 18 i'd just let him kill t he sentance so he won't have to be on paper when he gets out and by that i mean parole

trust me i know what i am talking about here, i have been dealing with the courts and state prisons for a long time now
if you need any help just pm me and i;ll help you anyway i can alright i live in nitro the town right next to you so pm me

fayrine9
07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi, is there any to set up something so i can be called on my cell phone, and if it is please explain..

Also how can you find all the charges against them?

Thanks

justvicki
07-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Call the County Prosecutor's Office. They will have a list of charges and it's a matter of public record.

As far as your cell phone is concerned, some facilities allow cell numbers on the inmates phone list, however, you would have to set up a prepaid account with the company that provides service to the facility as you cannot accept collect charges on a cell.

fayrine9
07-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the info.,,My cousin is going to call the prosecutors office tomorrow, her fiance is the one that is in.

Also she got a real big BANG today for the 4th, he has been there going on 3 weaks and has not been able to figure a way to talk to him.

He was extradited back there from Mississippi, well after reading some of the post i told her to try a 800 # i seen on here and she did and set up prepaid min.

He has been trying to call every day and could not get thru, but HE DID TODAY, THEY WERE BOTH EXCITED.

So thanks to all for your info on here, i have learned a lot and relayed it to her.

All have a Great day

fayrine9
08-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi, Does anyone know of a cheap but decent hotel, by the Jail?