View Full Version : DOCs serving inmates food "NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

JJT
04-27-2004, 08:11 PM
I went on a visit last weekend, and my fellah told me something that has me very upset. Okay.... SCREAMING MAD!!!!

WA DOC is purchasing and serving inmates food clearly marked "NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

How many insitutions are serving our loved ones food not fit for animal feed?

How can the DOC get away with this?

Not only how can they get away with this, what can be done to stop it????

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

JustTami
04-27-2004, 08:25 PM
The only thing that I can think of that is going to change this, is for one of us to see if we can get our guy to send one of the labels home, and take it STRAIGHT to the news. I'll get Scott on it.... See if your guy can help too...

Kyla
04-28-2004, 06:03 AM
This really sickens me that they can get away with it. What are the statistics of food poisoning I wonder???
I agree, the media would be interested in this one, and all the human rights groups.

babycow
04-28-2004, 07:14 AM
They are doing the same here in colorado......

CET
04-28-2004, 02:06 PM
I think it would be good to have a description of exactly what is in the boxes...what type of food?

JJT
04-28-2004, 02:12 PM
I think it would be good to have a description of exactly what is in the boxes...what type of food?
At the facility that my guy is in, he only told me about "chicken parts." The inmate kitchen staff go through the boxes to pick out the best (of the worst) to cook up for the guys and then toss the rest.

Chicken parts... not very discriptive!!

babycow
04-28-2004, 02:36 PM
I was wondering about the chicken parts too. Its probably leftovers from what is sent to market, since mostly of a chicken is, whats left?

CET
04-28-2004, 03:33 PM
a little humor on this. I once had a graduate student from Thailand rent a room from me. She said once, shortly after she arrived " I'm told that Americans throw out the best parts of the chicken!! Is that true?" I said, "what parts would that be?". She said the feet are the very best part! Crunchy!". I said "yup, we throw them out!" lol My brother in law who works at a major food company in R & D came back with lots of photos from a trip to China, where they have a plant. They took photos when they'd go out to eat. He said everyone ate one scorpion and they weren't bad. Then he showed me a photo of fried or roasted silk worms and man did they look GROSS. I have no idea what he was thinking. He ate one, couldn't eat any more. See most people are way more adventurous than I am. I just could not eat bugs other than somehting like an ant! No million dollars on survivor would ever get me to eat the things they eat! but if I had to, I'd certainly eat chicken livers, skin, giblets.
When I worked in a private hospital, in high school, they served frog legs and also lutefisk as choices of entrees. swear to God! lobster and steak on order also!

Phil in Paris
04-28-2004, 06:38 PM
I'd certainly eat chicken livers!

Yum yum yum yummy !!!! I love chicken livers !!!! You must cook them and serve them warm with a salad and a few drops of raspberry vinegar !!! YUM !!!! :)

To go back to the topic, which company is providing the food in the prison you're mentionning ?? In Florida, all prison food is provided by Aramack, and they serve nothing but $h*t !!! :mad: I can't remember how many inmates were sick with the Thanksgiving "supposed" turkey !!! :mad:

Phil

JJT
04-28-2004, 06:44 PM
To go back to the topic, which company is providing the food in the prison you're mentionning ?? In Florida, all prison food is provided by Aramack, and they serve nothing but $h*t !!! :mad: I can't remember how many inmates were sick with the Thanksgiving "supposed" turkey !!! :mad:

Phil
Phil, I have not been able to find out who has the contract. Not yet anyway! But I will!!!

I have read tons of stories regarding Aramack... that is scarry!! Was your guy ever sick?

With everything else they have to worry about, eating should not be one of them!

TNC
04-28-2004, 06:50 PM
I would start by sending a letter as a "concerned citizen" about what you have heard. I wouldn't tell them your relationship to the prison, but I would let them know that you have heard that the food is clearly marked. This will be a place to start and will also protect your inmate if they cant track it back to him. I would think that it would also concern the DOC because the last thing they want is to have this kind of publicity out into the public

Phil in Paris
04-28-2004, 07:34 PM
I have read tons of stories regarding Aramack... that is scarry!! Was your guy ever sick?

Yes Joey was once sick because of the chicken if I do remember. Or ham ?? Well, it was meat anyway. :(

Here's the link about the food poisoning at Union CI, and it was not for Thanksgiving, but for Christmas. Sorry, I don't seem to think straight tonight !! :rolleyes:

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40303

Phil

TNC
04-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Heres the letter I just threw together for you. Let me know where to send it and I will

I am writing this letter as a concerned citizen. I have no connection to the Washington Department of Corrections, but I have recently heard something that is very disturbing to me as a citizen of this country. It has been brought to my attention that several states including Washington serve food clearly marked "Not fit for human consumption" to their inmates. I have been told that this is something that has been going on for years and quite honestly I don't understand how anyone could feed that to a human. I have never been in a jail or prison so I really have no idea what the food is like, but I have heard that its not very good. I have also heard how prison food has made many inmates sick. Again I don't understand the reason for serving this so called food to inmates. I understand that most DOCs do everything they can to save tax payer money and I respect that, but I don't believe that unfit food is the answer. I don't believe that any human being should be treated as such and their health shouldn't be compromised. I also think that the extra money spent on decent food would pay for itself in health care. We all know that a healthy person is less likely to become ill rather it be food poison or a general illness.
I leave you will one final question. Do you or would you eat the food in your prison everyday?

JJT
04-28-2004, 08:28 PM
TNC that letter is great!

I am looking up the addresses and other contact information for WA state. So, if anyone is interested in helping on this letter writting campaign, I would return the favor!

I hope to have some information posted by the time I go to bed tonight!!

KellyQ
04-28-2004, 08:34 PM
I just finished reading "You got nothing coming", and there was a part where he described some food in the kitchen as labeled "not fit..." I'll need to go back and hunt that part down, because I was getting through it as fast as possible. Your letter is good, but I would leave out "I have no connection to the Washington Department of Corrections." It could come back to bite you in the butt. I wouldn't mention a connection or a non-connection.

Kelly

TNC
04-28-2004, 08:41 PM
I just finished reading "You got nothing coming", and there was a part where he described some food in the kitchen as labeled "not fit..." I'll need to go back and hunt that part down, because I was getting through it as fast as possible. Your letter is good, but I would leave out "I have no connection to the Washington Department of Corrections." It could come back to bite you in the butt. I wouldn't mention a connection or a non-connection.

Kelly
The reason I chose to put that in is so they would see me as a concerned citizen and not a loved one of a WA inmate. I truely have no connection to WA DOC. I never thought about that part biting me in the butt. I guess maybe I will think more on the wording

KellyQ
04-28-2004, 08:56 PM
I guess the reason I say to leave it out, is because you have already stated that you're "a concerned citizen and this has come to my attention." and if something further comes of it, I'd rather have the freedom to at that point to state that I have a loved one in prison, or not. You just have more options when I don't think it adds anything important to the message itself. The message carries its own weight.

Kelly

TNC
04-28-2004, 09:03 PM
I guess the reason I say to leave it out, is because you have already stated that you're "a concerned citizen and this has come to my attention." and if something further comes of it, I'd rather have the freedom to at that point to state that I have a loved one in prison, or not. You just have more options when I don't think it adds anything important to the message itself. The message carries its own weight.

Kelly
I had never thought of it like that. Thank you for your advise

KellyQ
04-28-2004, 09:11 PM
I didn't realize you weren't the original poster! *blush*. It was just an objective opinion, not a criticism. I wish I knew what was going on with my brother at HDSP. I haven't the first clue what he's eating. He's not out of reception yet.

There was just a thread on one of my cooking lists on the plus sides of chicken feet, btw... personally, with our dozen chickens, despite their liberal quarters and free-ranging activities, I can't imagine eating those feet. LOL! (Well, I can't imagine eating them period.)

Kelly

JJT
04-28-2004, 09:38 PM
After an exhaustive search conducted by 3 different people (thank you TNC and scottandtami), it appears the Washington Department of Corrections requires all emails to go through one email address. That address would be:

doccorrespondence@doc1.wa.gov

We have figured out how the individual employees email address are assigned... first initial, middle initial, last name. Not knowing their middle initial kinda puts a screeching halt to the process!!

I have phsical addresses for the WA DOC head honcho, and Airway Height's Warden. PM me if you would like those.

I am tired. Calling it quits for awhile!

Wifey2Bee
04-29-2004, 04:34 AM
where do we send this letter?

TNC
04-29-2004, 10:40 AM
After an exhaustive search conducted by 3 different people (thank you TNC and scottandtami), it appears the Washington Department of Corrections requires all emails to go through one email address. That address would be:

doccorrespondence@doc1.wa.gov

We have figured out how the individual employees email address are assigned... first initial, middle initial, last name. Not knowing their middle initial kinda puts a screeching halt to the process!!

I have phsical addresses for the WA DOC head honcho, and Airway Height's Warden. PM me if you would like those.

I am tired. Calling it quits for awhile!
I sent my letter of today and I also CC'd it to the Governor using this link http://www.governor.wa.gov/contact/contact.htm I will keep you posted in what I hear back

irisheyes66
04-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Very good letter, Tanya....This situation definitely bears watching.

TainoSolidad
04-29-2004, 11:08 AM
I can't agree with you more about protecting the identify of the inmate, especially in matters that involve inhumane actions by corrections officials.

My husband has been in jail since last year (due out in a few weeks) and one incident, where I criticized a jail employee for making me needlessly run around for clothes for my husband, came back to haunt my husband. Since then, I now bite my tongue when interacting with most corrections officials, but the local media has been getting quite a bit of information in the interim.

I go out of my way now to keep the identify of the information secret because, in spite of living in the land of the free, I am not free to expect common decency within the corrections system.

sweetpea
04-29-2004, 11:46 AM
I'll send one also...do you have a mailing address?? Not to say that your efforts will not be heard, but they say that a letter is worth more than an email...unless of course if you flood their in-box ;)

BTW, great letter Tanya...this is a disgrace, like Phil said, the same thing has happened in Florida around Christmas AND thanksgiving time, lots of food poisoning around the holidays, whats up with that!?!!? -- tho I believe they changed services from Amarak, thank goodness, did not surprise me that our Gov Jeb Bush is involved w/ that company either :blah:

JJT
04-29-2004, 03:12 PM
I'll send one also...do you have a mailing address?? Not to say that your efforts will not be heard, but they say that a letter is worth more than an email...unless of course if you flood their in-box ;)

:blah:
I have a couple of mailing addresses!! Can I post them here??? Or should I have people PM me????

I have the WA DOC Secretary (head dude in WA DOC), the NE Regional Admininstrator, and the Superintendent (warden).

I also have the email links to the Investigative Reporter for KIRO TV (Seattle), and the Heath Team Investigative Reporter for KIRO TV.

And the fax number for Govener Gary Lock.

CET
04-29-2004, 05:52 PM
You can post email addy's for government offices here. The rule about not putting personal emails openly in the forums was to avoid people collecting the emails to solicit, harass, whatever.

JJT
04-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Okay... now that my school writing obligations are complete, and I have a few hours break before studying for finals....

I will be composing my letter, and firing it off tomorrow morning.
I will be sending both an emai and letter to each of those listed below.

I really could not have done this without the support from PTO!

Here are the addresses I have so far:

Mr. Joseph Lehman
DOC Secretary
411 W 4th
Olympia, WA 98504

Ms. Kay Adkins
NE Regional Administrator
W. 1717 Broadway
Spokane, WA 99201

(509) 586-2123

Ms. Maggie Miller Stout
Superintendent Airway Heights Correctional Center
11919 West Sprague Ave
Airway Heights, WA 99001

(509) 244-6700

Governer Gary Locke
Office of the Governor
PO Box 40002
Olympia, WA 98504-002

(360) 902-4111
(360) 753-4110 Fax

Mr. Chris Halsne
KIRO TV Investigative Reporter
2807 3rd Ave
Seattle, WA 98121
email link;
www.kirtotv/news/2438223/detail.html (http://www.kirtotv/news/2438223/detail.html)

Ms. Micki Flowers
KIRO TV Health Team
2807 3rd Ave
Seattle, WA 98121
email link;
www.kirtotv/health/2438232/detail.html (http://www.kirtotv/health/2438232/detail.html)

And of course all DOC emails get funnelled through www.doccorrespondence@doc1.wa.gov (http://www.doccorrespondence@doc1.wa.gov/)

Washington DOC Headquarters phone (360) 753-1573

Thank you everyone!!! Thank you.

Wifey2Bee
04-29-2004, 07:52 PM
I sent my letter 4/29/04. I am sure I won't hear anything but maybe they will get sick of getting emails.

1nonlyTeRe
04-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Wow this is crazy... My sweetie works in the kitchen.. he has never mentioned any of this kinda thing to me, but I'm not sure he would.. he wouldn't want me to worry... he is in Ohio... JJT I will gladly write a letter!!!! this is just very disgusting!

JJT
04-29-2004, 10:19 PM
April 20, 2004

To Whom It May Concern,

I’m not sure who this letter needs to be addressed to, so I am sending to you in hopes that it will forwarded on to the appropriate person.

I have a loved one incarcerated at Airway Heights Correctional Center, WA. It has recently been brought to my attention that Washington Department of Corrections is serving food that has been clearly marked “NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.”

This is a direct violation of:

WAC 289-20-270 Food. (Detention and correctional facilities.)

(1) General food requirements.

(a) At least three meals a day shall be served at regular intervals. The morning meal shall be served within fourteen hours of the previous day's evening meal.

(b) Jails may arrange for prepared meal service or serve frozen packaged meals, provided these meals conform to the other requirements of this section.

(c) Meals shall be served in a reasonable manner, hot food served hot, cold food served cold.

(2) Nutritional and caloric intake.

(a) Jail menus shall be reviewed by the local county health department, the county extension service, or other qualified nutrition consultant to insure that diets approximate the dietary allowances specified.

(b) Diets ordered by medical staff shall be strictly observed.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 70.48.050 (http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/nonexistcite.cfm?type=RCW) (1)(a). 81-22-068 (Order 19), § 289-20-270, filed 11/4/81. Statutory Authority: Chapter 70.48 (http://www.leg.wa.gov/rcw/index.cfm?fuseaction=chapterdigest&chapter=70.48) RCW. 81-07-057 (Order 10), § 289-20-270, filed 3/18/81.]

I have learned that this is not an isolated incident. The practice of serving sub-standard food product is prevalent within all correctional facilities across the nation. There have been hundreds of cases of food poisoning, tuna casserole that was nothing more than noodles sprinkled with tuna oil (not a bit of meat), serving food that had been rejected by the military, and something best described as a green, rainbow hued meat.

After an exhaustive search on the internet, it is clear to me that even dog food is produced with a higher quality of meat than what is currently being served to inmates. Have we really sunk so low in our thought processes that we would treat our pets better than our fellow human beings?

This is another example of the continual dehumanization that occurs in our nations correctional facilities. A condition all released prisoners carry with them back into society. It has to stop. Somehow, it just has to stop.

Thank you for any action you can take regarding this matter.

JJT
04-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Wow this is crazy... My sweetie works in the kitchen.. he has never mentioned any of this kinda thing to me, but I'm not sure he would.. he wouldn't want me to worry... he is in Ohio... JJT I will gladly write a letter!!!! this is just very disgusting!
doughsgurl... I really got to thinking about what you said... your guy wouldn't mention it.

So I got to thinking about why did my guy tell me? He usually keeps things like that to himself.

Then I realized... PTO.

He knows I am an active member of PTO, and supports me 175%!!! He knows there is power in numbers. He knew that without asking me, I would come home after a visit and start posting like a mad woman (which I did) and get the help I needed.

And you all did!! I can't even begin to express the gratitude I feel right now. Without PTO, I would be laying in bed, crying from complete frustration and fear.

But y'all confirmed my fears, gave me direction and spurred me into action! So I am crying in gratitude.

Breaking the barriers - within ourselves as well.

Travs_girl
04-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Good gawd!!! How disgusting!! Travis works in the kitchen at Walla Walla and refuses to eat... he's never given me specifics, just that it makes him sick cooking it, he sure wouldn't eat it.

JJT and TNC... your letters are FABULOUS! I'm drawing up one today and will fire it off to everyone I can think of. I've sent letters to Gov. Locke before and HAVE received a response... I was floored. If we can get enough letters in, we WILL have an effect.

Anyway, here's the superintendant of Washington State Penitentiary if anyone needs it:

Richard Morgan
Superintendant, Washington State Penitentiary
1313 N. 13th Ave
Walla Walla, WA 99362

JJT
04-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Richard Morgan
Superintendant, Washington State Penitentiary
1313 N. 13th Ave
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Added to my list!!

Cherry
04-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Hey everybody, this just occurred to me ... I'd be real curious to know what the Washington DOC claims they spend on inmate food in their annual budget. If, and I'm sure this is public information, we can find a copy of their budget, we can divide that amount by the number of inmates in Washington and see just exactly what the DOC says they spend on food for each inmate. I'll just BET it's more than most of us spend on ourselves.

JJT
04-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Cherry... Good point!!

I working on extracting the daily food cost out of this frustrating electronic box!! I dont know if WA DOC is extremely secretive, or if I don't know how to ask the internet the proper questions!!

I do know the daily cost to house a prisoner is $62.70.
What percentage of this is food, I haven't been able to find. YET!
My fellah knows, so when he calls, I'll ask him.

Cost per Washington household is $1,062.00 in annual taxes.

ps... Graham has some awesome views!! I love that area. Growing too fast though!

Cherry
04-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Yeah, it's pretty here. I actually live between Graham and Eatonville, so...so far I've managed to escape the destruction. LOL!

Hey, I found the DOC Budget, near as I can tell, the 2004-2005 Budget projects that it now costs $74.82 per inmate per year. Yeah, right. Anyway, they appear to be including everything other than staff salaries into one lump sum they refer to as the "General Fund - Basic Accout". Hmmm. If you want to look for yourself, it's at: http://www.ofm.wa.gov/budget03/detail/310nl.htm

I'll be working on a letter, you can count on that!

JJT
04-30-2004, 05:30 PM
"General Fund - Basic Accout". Hmmm. If you want to look for yourself, it's at: http://www.ofm.wa.gov/budget03/detail/310nl.htm

I'll be working on a letter, you can count on that!

(jaw on keyboard, drooling) Whoa Dude, where did you find that??? !!!!

I love numbers!!! The more numbers and stats, the happier I am!
But give me an abstract idea, and I think I've gone to heaven!!

JustCLynn
04-30-2004, 11:17 PM
i know my b/f says that he can never tell what the meat is....says they try to cover it up with other crap...BUT, he has said that the juice they serve stains the tables so bad he refuses to drink it...all he drinks now is water, and sometimes he worries about that, LOL...i go see him this weekend and will ask if he has gotten sick from any of the food, along with asking if he has any buddies that work in the kitchen...if he gives me an affirmative on the getting sick, i am in all the way!

JustLisa
04-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Now I'm getting all grossed out... When I used to visit Stafford Creek they would get served their dinner in the visit and Michael would share it with me.. That food actually was good - he says they have some of the best food in WA in the prisons.....

Uhhh hope I never ate any weird meat

Gerbera
04-30-2004, 11:31 PM
If there is anyone in a prison that feeds inmates food with a label that says "not fit for human consumption", perhaps that inmate can send the label to his/her attorney in an envelope which is clearly marked "legal mail". I may be wrong, but as long as it feels like paper, it will get through. I have never yet gotten mail from a client that has been opened.

Gerbera
04-30-2004, 11:39 PM
You know, the problem is, there are lots of things that are labeled that way because there have been too many people who have eaten things that sound like they can be eaten, but can't. I remember reading a case about a guy who died from eating sterno (It was some kind of cooking fuel with alcohol). The lawsuit was about the fact that the product was made with alchohol but it was not labeled "Not fit for human consumption" so that the most naive person would not know that you can't drink it. So I believe an alchoholic drank it and died, and that is where that label came from. So even if an inmate sends the label, it probably would not be enough, it would have to be obvious that it is something that the prison is feeding inmates. Short of actually catching them in the act, or getting a food sample analyzed at an independent lab who will attest the food is not fit, it is harder than it seems.

Gerbera
04-30-2004, 11:42 PM
I wonder if it is possible to obtain the food suppliers and all of that data under the Freedom of Information Act. I think as a government agency that they are required to disclose information like that if someone inquires, unless there is a security or confidentiality risk. I think the suppliers are for public scrutiny because I think suppliers bid for the contracts. So what kind of company would contract with the government to serve garbage to people?

JJT
04-30-2004, 11:56 PM
If there is anyone in a prison that feeds inmates food with a label that says "not fit for human consumption", perhaps that inmate can send the label to his/her attorney in an envelope which is clearly marked "legal mail". I may be wrong, but as long as it feels like paper, it will get through. I have never yet gotten mail from a client that has been opened.
There is someone currently working on getting a lable sent to me.

Jus' Mom
05-01-2004, 12:13 AM
allClippings[allClippings.length] = new Clipping(111675,"Inmates eat less as state budgets fall"); Inmates eat less as state budgets fall Fox Butterfield (http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/generic.cgi?template=articlesearch.tmpl&dt=articleAuthor&location=Fox Butterfield) NYT
Monday, September 29, 2003

Other states are probably giving the same reasons for lower quality food. (don't miss the last couple of sentences here!)

Prisoners now served fewer meals with food of lower quality
Officials in a number of states, desperate to cut budget deficits, have begun reducing the amount or quality of food served to prison inmates.
These new food plans involve either reducing the number of calories provided a day or eliminating a meal on weekends and holidays by serving two meals instead of three.
So far, officials in the states that have cut prisoners' food say that inmates have not complained and that the nutritional value of the meals being served still meets national standards. Among these states are Virginia, North Carolina, Minnesota, Iowa, Texas and Arizona, with other states, including Massachusetts, beginning to experiment with the reduced diets in individual prisons.
But experts on prisons say that food is only a very small portion of the overall cost of running a prison system - about 80 percent of prison budgets go for guards' salaries - so that any savings achieved by reducing inmates' food will be minimal and is more about symbolism.
"This kind of stuff never gets you very much money," said Michael Jacobson, a professor of criminology at John Jay College in Manhattan and a former commissioner of corrections for New York City. "It is always incredibly marginal, and it shows a lack of political will to take on the larger issues, like releasing some nonviolent offenders to get real savings."
Moreover, some advocates for prisoners and prisoners' families say the new reduced diets are causing health problems.
Joan Covici, president of the Dallas chapter of Americans for Civil Liberties, said she had received hundreds of letters a month complaining about the new diet in Texas prisons. Texas has reduced the total calories a day to its 148,000 inmates to 2,500 from 2,800, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
Covici said, for example, that she had received a letter from a mother of a 20-year-old inmate who is 6 feet 4 inches, or 1.9 meters, tall, and normally weighs about 190 pounds, or 85 kilograms, but his weight has dropped to 168 pounds with the new reduced diet and he is still losing weight.
Covici, who asked that the inmate be identified only by his first name, Chris, said that his mother believed his sharp drop in weight since the new diet was introduced in May has resulted in "deteriorated mental health" and has precipitated an episode of mania.
In a letter his mother wrote to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, she suggested "I would think that the incremental cost of a few hundred extra calories would be less expensive than the extra health care cost from poor health."
Larry Todd, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, said "We have not reduced the amount of food, only the calories, and we are still serving nutritious meals that follow the food pyramid recommended by the Department of Agriculture."
The reduced number of calories per day was the result of a bill passed by the Texas Legislature that required the Department of Criminal Justice to cut its budget by 5 percent this year, or $230 million, with about $6 million of that coming from reducing spending on food for inmates, Todd said.
Ray Allen, a Republican state representative and chairman of the Texas House Corrections Committee, said, "It was not our first choice to cut their food, but we had a $9.9 billion shortfall."
"Since we can't cut a single corrections officer, and their salaries are 80 percent of prison costs, there isn't much else left to cut," he added.
In practice, some of the savings is coming from more careful attention to standardizing portions, said Janie Thomas, director for laundry, food service and supply for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
"We emphasize portion control, it is a good cost control," Thomas said. "Where in the past an inmate might have been served two biscuits, now he gets one."
In another example, Thomas said, where in previous years a prison might have served a chicken patty with macaroni and cheese, it has cut out the macaroni and cheese.
Cheaper cuts of meat have also been substituted for better grades of meat, even when the meat is raised on the prison's own farm. The more expensive cuts are now being sold commercially, she said.
In other cases, powdered milk has been substituted for whole milk, and a juice-like drink for real juice.
Allen, the state representative, said he was not worried about prisoner protests over the new policy.
"Inmate protests are not well-received in Texas," he said. "If inmates want to act out violently about their food, we have other places to put them."
Neither is he worried about lawsuits, he said.
The New York Times

Gerbera
05-01-2004, 12:26 AM
That is just despicable. First of all, I am fat because I like to eat too much pasta, bread, and starchy carbs. I would do just fine in prison if they fed me cheap macaroni and cheese or mashed potatoes. Fine by me, I don't feel punished at all! But that is in fact cheap food with a lot of calories. Many people are actually fat because they cannot afford the lower calorie foods like fresh vegetables and lean cuts of meat. So how are they cutting calories without cutting the amount of food? I just don't get it. Are they actually inferring that they have substituted 1/2 pound of cheap high calorie potatoes with 1/2 pound of lettuce on the plate, which would look like a larger amount of food?

JJT
05-01-2004, 12:45 PM
"Inmate protests are not well-received in Texas," he said. "If inmates want to act out violently about their food, we have other places to put them."
Thank you for the article. It leads to a question that is a little off subject...

Could someone explain the difference between the DOC and a terrorist group?

ter·ror·ist [ térrərist (http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/Pronounce.aspx?search=terrorist) ] (plural ter·ror·ists)noun somebody using violence for political purposes: somebody who uses violence or the threat of violence, especially bombing, kidnapping, and assassination, to intimidate, often for political purposes.

I am begining to think I should start writing every Senetor and Congressman in the Nation!!

JJT
05-01-2004, 01:07 PM
I have added the ACLU of Washington to my list. Mailing the letter today.

Kathleen Taylor
Executive Director
705 Second Avenue, Suite 300
Seattle, WA 98104

Administrative Telephone: (206) 624-2184
Complaint and Referral Line: (206) 624-2180

I have no idea if any of this is worth the effort. Other than the sense of action.

CET
05-02-2004, 02:44 PM
My penpal in TX has lost 8 pounds since they decreased the calories to 2500 a day. He says all the men are losing weight, or probably the ones who don't have family to send them money every month to buy food. He says there is a scale in the shower area and the men have funny looks on their faces when they weigh themselves. TX doesn't serve fresh fruit, either. They are not paid one cent for working.
I had issues with food when my guy went to ad seg for three months. I visited him when he had been there for just 3 weeks and he was noticeably gaunt in that time. I called the medical director and complained that he was starving. He doesn't have an extra ounce on him. The guy didn't want to weigh him! He said it would take time, but he'd look at his chart. I said how will that show anything?
I think TX had boasted that they spent under $2 a day for inmate's food per person. something like $1.76 I heard from my penpal.

KellyQ
05-02-2004, 03:35 PM
I just love how my post just disappeared. Was really glad to spend the last hour writing it.

I guess I will begin again with my biggest peeve which was the NY Times article which can't possibly be taken seriously.. especially the last few lines. It is sheer propaganda. The correct political move (even for notoriously conservative TX) is to plead ignorance, or insist you are doing something to help the problem while hindering that same help.

My energy just isn't to trying to re-do my post and this ticks me off beyond belief. The page headed off to eDiets, and that isn't even one of the ads on this page so I have no idea what button I pushed to lose my post. I've been helping to run a training center all year and am very cognizant of the costs of feeding a herd of people.

The fact is that the prisoners could be fed decently on $2/day. It further doesn't bother me if they get 2 decent meals/day if they are supplemented with fresh fruits and vegetables and they can access snacks and the like. My brother is also well on his way to 7 feet tall, so he's a big eater.

My monthly home food budget is $200/month and I've lost 60 pounds following Dr. Phil's plan, while keeping my 6'8" husband robust (maybe too robust.) but decent food can be had for a fairly small amount.

Anyway, I'm happy to expound, but I'm really ticked beyond belief that I lost the post I was writing earlier.

Kelly

JustCLynn
05-03-2004, 01:16 AM
i visited my guy today and mentioned this topic to him, there was a guard standing very close by so he skipped a couple words but he said he has seen the exact lables, and heard the kitchen guys discussing it...He is sick of eating the rainbow colored roast beef, says it makes him kinda bathroom bound...LOL...anyhow...where do we send letters to and is there a set formed letter that everyone is using? this just urks me that they are serving food that could be harming the guys in any way whatsoever...

JJT
05-03-2004, 01:10 PM
where do we send letters to and is there a set formed letter that everyone is using?
If you scroll back up through this thread, post #28 has the bulk of addresses.
You will want to send a copy to:

Northwest Region Administrative Office
8625 Evergreen Way, St. 100 S
Everett, WA 98208-2620
(425) 356-2800

TNC posted her letter, and mine is in here somewhere.

Hope your visit went well!!!

TNC
05-03-2004, 02:06 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has had any response yet? As of now I still havent heard back from the Gov or the DOC

JJT
05-03-2004, 03:22 PM
No response yet.

And I have run out of stamps and envelopes!!! LOL
I am sure there are more people I could write to!!

Wenny
05-06-2004, 11:19 PM
To me this just sickens me. I did temporary work in a cheese factory and I remember the bins that were labeled not fit for human consumption in big bold letters on every side of the bin. and i remember the rules we had to follow about those bins. If we touched the outside of it or inside even if we had gloves on we had to wash our hands and reglove ourselves. we had seperate tools for working with that bin. I know the things that got sent to the bins and to think that they would feed humans it just makes my skin crawl.

TNC
05-20-2004, 02:01 PM
I finally received a letter back from WA DOC.

May 11, 2004

Ms. Tanya (last name removed)

Dear Ms. :

I have been asked to respond to your recent correspondence sent to Governor Locke. You wrote to express concerns regarding the food served to offenders in Department of Corrections (DOC) prisons. Specifically, you state that food marked “Not fit for human consumption” is served to DOC offenders.

Meals in DOC facilities are nutritious and well balanced. A Food Service Program Administrator oversees the statewide Food Service Program, and a full-time Registered Dietitian certifies a standard menu that is followed by all Washington State institutions. Offenders are served three appetizing and varied meals each day that meet or exceed nutritional standards. The menu at DOC facilities is basically a heart-healthy diet, designed to meet nutritional needs. There is a six-week rotating menu, with special meals provided for various holidays and religious celebrations.

Please be assured that DOC has not received any food products marked "Not fit for human consumption.” Food purchases are made in compliance with the purchasing and accounting requirements of the Office of State Procurement, Department of General Administration. There have been no reports of food making offenders sick.

We understand how important food is to the offender population and strive to put out the best food possible. If an offender has complaints related to the food he is served, he has opportunity to utilize the Offender Grievance Program. By submitting a complaint through this program, offenders are assured of an investigation into their complaint, a written response, and the opportunity to appeal that response to a higher level review.

Related to your question of whether I would eat the food in prison, I have done so on many occasions. Every day institution staff eat the same food as is served to offenders. Custody staff who are assigned to work mandatory overtime are provided a meal the same as that served to offenders. Facilities also have the option of providing the same meals served to offenders to state and contract staff and guests at a reasonable price.

Thank you for advocating on behalf of offenders and for allowing me this opportunity to follow up on your concerns. You might be interested to know that last month I responded to a letter from a constituent who claimed that “the food order is fresh tomatoes all year, mushrooms and butter.”

Sincerely,

Eldon Vail, Deputy Secretary
Office of Correctional Operations

EV:tab.GOV399
cc: Governor Gary Locke
Secretary Joseph D. Lehman

JJT
05-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Yep. Got the same letter.

Nothing yet from any one else I contacted.

tamaulipas
05-24-2004, 02:23 AM
VAIL!!!! :angry:
Sorry I'm late on this subject - this is the $%$#$#!! that said that the money the DOC receives from "inmate phone calls" goes for inmates to have things like "Weight lifiting equipment" (didn't mention they have to PAY to use it), "Sewing machines" (where?), "TV's", and "Holiday items" - HOLIDAY ITEMS???? I asked my husband about his "holiday items" comment and he said "what? You mean the 2" candy canes we got?" Yep, $5,000,000 in revenue from inmate phone system spent on "candy canes" humm.............
Ok - so here's what I did (with Dad - ex con from the 50's advice)

1) I emailed the Local Health Department and want to know when was the last inspection at AHCC, what (if any) violations were there.
2) When is the next inspection and do they let the DOC know before they go in?

I contacted the DOC correspondence unit and asked for the amount PER inmate - Dad said they have that cost.

Also, on the DOC website for WA, there is a section to get onto certain email lists - I joined the State Diatitions - I haven't gotten on yet (just got my approval - that'll be revoked when they get my email) but I think we should all post emails to the diatition and the Dept. of Health.

Now, "somewhere" I saw that inmates (I want to say Texas) filed a law suite about the food in the prison system. They won, and now all DOC staff in the facility are REQUIRED to eat their meals in the dining hall - with the same food that the inmates eat. Seemed to have worked, guess the food got better. Does anyone know what state/prison this is - we should do that here. I asked my husband if he's ever seen guards eating what they eat ........ok, he couldn't stop laughing -guess NOT! Wonder what Mr. Vail had for lunch today? Bet it was better than our guys got.

Dad says that they used to go on food strikes on a regular basis because the DOC will get in big trouble if inmates don't eat. But he says that the guys inside now have no "solidarity" like they did "in the good ol' days" when he was there in 1950. I tend to think he's right in a way, but see they couldn't take good time away in the 50's like they can now.

I also put in a Request for Public Information for the food vendors - specifically for the vendor that supplies food to the kitchens in WA.

Now, here's an interesting thing I found in the RCW's. The DOC is not supposed to "contract out" for services that can be done in a facility unless they can't produce that "service" inside for the same or lower cost than they can contract for.

At Airway Heights - they have an entire food processing plant that they make food that gets sold to stores etc...... Why are our guys eating stuff that isn't from their own factory that's being sold to the public????

I think it's petition time (or law suite). My husband said they got "fish" the other night at Airway that was about a one and a half inch square and "just over" a table spoon of instant something??? He said it's a joke. What's worse, is that when you've got a bunch of oppressed, hungry and angry inmates.......it can't be safe for anyone (I'm a cranky bitch when I'm hungry). Now with DOC tagging even more money from the incomeing funds, it's even harder for us to get them money so they can "suppliment" food from commissary.

Airway is apparently the only facility that won't let inmates receive food packages as part of their quarterly family packs.

What I'd really like to do is put together a Petition/Proposal to the DOC on streamlining the facilities rules/regs and making some serious changes. Do you think we have enough people on here from WA to make it work?

ferfersmom
05-28-2004, 12:58 PM
I know someone who works in a WA facility as a nurse and I asked about the food issue and they replied " Oh, you mean the green meat?" They stated that some of the inmates are sick after almost every meal, because the food is so bad. There are constant complaints of stomach problems and this person experienced it first hand after eating lunch one day and also got sick. Said they would never touch the food there again. This just sickens me, having a son in the system and to think that my dogs eat safer food than he will get is is not to be tolerated!! If we all keep yelling, sooner or later the right person WILL hear and maybe something will be done.

cajunlady
06-05-2004, 11:14 AM
In marine Corps bootcamp they serve the recruits food marked "not fit for consumption except by Military and Inmates." If the Gov't doesn't care what they are feeding our troops then they surely dont care what they feed our prisoners.

One thing to note about Aramark, They handle food service in a large number of Prisons and Jails in this Country. They also handle a lot of the Commissarys and if the food sucks then the Inmates spend more on commissary items that are more profitable for Aramark. Recently Aramark took over the Commissary in one Jail (they were already running the kitchen) and almost immediatly the quality and amount of food went down. In turn Commissary purchases went up
It's not about saving money, It's about allowing private Companies to make money. Aramark spends a lot on Political campaigns and lobbying.

lostwithoutyou
07-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Thank goodness my man is in Montana. I have seen what they searve, and the quantity. Although for grown men, the quantity does not seem like a lot, and not everyone would agree on the taste, they serve them 3600 calories a day and it is always well balanced. The nutritionists that they have in Missoula really know what they are doing and always put pride in their work. Some of their food is so good, that most of the staff will eat it also!

CET
07-25-2004, 08:05 PM
My TX penpal has lost 38 pounds after their daily calories were cut to 2500 a day.

yourislandgirl
12-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi there...check out what I found...google fedcure and this is on their FAQ's:

What can we do about bad food? NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION LABEL?
If anyone gets a label to FedCURE with the "unfit" language on it, we will put it on the Federal Bureau of Prisons, National Food Service Administrator's desk the next day in Washington, DC. The facility food service administrator can expect to be fired.

Beachluver
12-08-2008, 11:10 PM
My TX penpal has lost 38 pounds after their daily calories were cut to 2500 a day.

The average person is suppose to eat 2000 to 2500 daily. I don't understand how he lost 38 pounds eating normally. 2500 plus cal a day will make a person gain weight. I'm sure there is a reason for the diet it may even be, they don't want to be sued by some sue happy person because their loved one gained weight while in prison. There's a reason for it..

24jf
12-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Hi there...check out what I found...google fedcure and this is on their FAQ's:

What can we do about bad food? NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION LABEL?
If anyone gets a label to FedCURE with the "unfit" language on it, we will put it on the Federal Bureau of Prisons, National Food Service Administrator's desk the next day in Washington, DC. The facility food service administrator can expect to be fired.

The trick is getting a label with this information out of the facilities!!

xgot420issuesx
12-09-2008, 12:23 PM
The "not fit for human consumption" isn't even the worst part of it. The fact that the use by dates are always expired, not just by days, but sometimes months.
For anything to be done about this, first off people would actually have to care about what goes on in prisons. Fact is, they don't. American Citizens have this tendency to like to say lock them up and throw away the key and never think about them again. As long as the criminals are off the streets, who cares what happens to them. They should eat food that is rotten, maybe it will make them not want to ever go back and be good and blah blah blah ..... this is what your average citizen thinks. Until you change the minds of average citizens, nothing will ever change.

Ronnie
12-10-2008, 05:58 AM
You are so right. Not enough people with voices care. The advocates are doing what they can but they are few in numbers.

What I have always done for my hubby is to always make sure that he has enough money on his books to buy food from the commissary, which is not gourmet by any means, but it is much better than what is being served in the mess hall.

The "not fit for human consumption" isn't even the worst part of it. The fact that the use by dates are always expired, not just by days, but sometimes months.
For anything to be done about this, first off people would actually have to care about what goes on in prisons. Fact is, they don't. American Citizens have this tendency to like to say lock them up and throw away the key and never think about them again. As long as the criminals are off the streets, who cares what happens to them. They should eat food that is rotten, maybe it will make them not want to ever go back and be good and blah blah blah ..... this is what your average citizen thinks. Until you change the minds of average citizens, nothing will ever change.

gypseagirl
01-08-2009, 07:05 AM
You are so right. Not enough people with voices care. The advocates are doing what they can but they are few in numbers.

What I have always done for my hubby is to always make sure that he has enough money on his books to buy food from the commissary, which is not gourmet by any means, but it is much better than what is being served in the mess hall.

I totally agree. I also make sure my brother has enough money in his account. It is very sad how they are treated behind bars.

Vermont Mom
01-18-2009, 04:09 PM
my son got shipped to lac in kentucky from vermont and he lost 20 pounds in a month he said the food is terriable, but he also said that it is much better there more to do, classes, work,commisary is really cheap, play stations, tvs,and they can smoke or chew..i always try to keep money in his account,i have to, that way i know he is eating and im not worrying!!!!!!!!

Fatima_B
08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
I went on a visit last weekend, and my fellah told me something that has me very upset. Okay.... SCREAMING MAD!!!!

WA DOC is purchasing and serving inmates food clearly marked "NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

I believe that all of the prisons are doing this. All we can do is continue to write everyone and everyone. (governor, newspaper, radio stations, organizations)

only1love
08-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Unfortunately, this is not new! Federal inmates have been receiving such food for a long time. Back in December of 2008, Kenny Linn, at FedCure was trying to help out with this. He advised to get one of the labels out as proof!
I know my fiance had food poison once! (Diagnosed, documented, and then not treated!)
Here is part of a message from the situation at the federal prisons.

Kenny Linn, J.D., LL.M.
> Chairman, FedCure

Kenny,
not to start anything, but I worked in the kitchen at Devens and
expired food as well as the "not fit for human concumption" food was
the norm. Puddings in 2007 had a 2005 exp date on them...

ceilia555
08-03-2009, 11:03 PM

badd bxtch
08-04-2009, 11:09 AM
http://nourishedkitchen.com/illinois-prisoners-soy-diet/

They were replacing meats and baked goods with TOXIC amounts of soy to 'lower the cost' of feeding the inmates.

Complaints include chronic and painful constipation alternating with debilitating diarrhea, vomiting after eating, sharp pains in the digestive tract, especially after consuming soy, passing out, heart palpitations, rashes, acne, insomnia, panic attacks, insomnia, depression and symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as low body temperature (feeling cold all the time), brain fog, fatigue, weight gain, frequent infections and enlarged thyroid gland. Since soy contains anti-fertility compounds, many young prisoners may be unable to father children after their release.

MomNpain4son
08-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Last Thanksgiving my son called and I asked what they had for dinner.

He said we had RAW turkey, then he said guess what, I said what, he said he ate it any way !!!

I asked why he ate it and he said... because I was hungry momma, it broke my heart.

Since my son has been in prison we still celebrate holidays and I make the dinners, but I just can't sit down with everyone and share it knowing what my son is having.

badd bxtch
08-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Last Thanksgiving my son called and I asked what they had for dinner.

He said we had RAW turkey, then he said guess what, I said what, he said he ate it any way !!!

I asked why he ate it and he said... because I was hungry momma, it broke my heart.

Since my son has been in prison we still celebrate holidays and I make the dinners, but I just can't sit down with everyone and share it knowing what my son is having.

awwwww =/ thats sad as hell. i would feel bad as hell too. i wouldn't be able to eat knowing that my kids are suffering either.

tilforever08
08-22-2009, 06:06 PM
my husband was fed food in county that was so hard you had to dunk some of it in water to soften in it up in order to chew it.
their water was WHITE.. not clear. you couldn't even see through it!
write to the paper, the news, anywhere you can get it out to the public.
i will warn you though, most people who don't know someone in prison will say, "who cares, they are criminals, they are doing time, they don't deserve good food"
etc...
i've heard it all! but good luck!

jj34
12-07-2009, 09:15 AM
my guy in pollock says the meat is unfit for human consumption so therefore he has not ate meat in over 11 yrs!!!!

how can they get away wi serving food that is not edible....i ndont understand this?

lin787
12-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Florida prisons get no meat, no fresh fruit.....dry juice with water added, and soy for the meat product.

Is there a company called Keefe Commassary co? this might be the one you need.

sisnik
12-08-2009, 07:51 AM
I know this to be true because I had to call the County Health Dept because of an issue with food that my bf purchased from that sick Aramark company. The Health Dept did investigate and they called me afterwards. There are things people can do, but they usually don't because they believe that nothing will be done. If we keep thinking like that, NOTHING will be done. We gotta keep it moving with the complaints so at least we can start the ball rolling. :thumbsup:

sisnik

Loveofmylife32
12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
The Weston foundation would certainly be interested in hearing this info. They are the organization that help the inmates in Illinois file a law suit due to poor quality of food / diets. Might not hurt to send them some info . Shake some things up. Westonaprice.org

soulmated
12-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I just found this thread so forgive me if, I repeat what some one else has said My loved one told me they get re-called beef. I know they just re-called some more and I am worried that he will get that re-called meat.

Isn't this illegal? I know, that they have no rights but, they are still human this stuff could kill them! (This is at La Tuna FCI)

Stephen's girl
12-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't know what we can do, I know there have been several attempts over the years to resolve this very issue. I get so frustrated!! The unit my bf is at goes on lockdown some what often and when they do they get johnny's (little sack lunches) that may have like 250 calories worth of food, 3 times a day. They aren't getting enough calories that's for sure. His unit was on lockdown for 3 weeks once and I swear when I saw him again he looked like he'd lost 45 pounds, and he's not overweight by any means to begin with. He literally looked like he was starving!! Each time they go to commissary they prices have been raised yet again, and they can only get so much at a time that has to last 2 weeks. It's crap and completely inhumane what they do to these people!!! Animals get treated better!!!

He's also told me, he's broken a molar on a rock that was in his food. And very often they find insect parts in their food!!! I just don't understand how they can get away with this crap!!! I hate that he has to be subjected to that!!!

kiddsgirl4life
12-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Believe me the food in the Ga. system is no better. I know first hand... Back when I was down I had a friend that worked the kitchen that said some of the packaging was labeled "Not fit for human consumption". I knew the food was bad and we all stayed sick from it to some degree but I just could hardly believe that it actually had that printed on it...One day she slipped the label she ripped off to me just to show me...I was like OMG how in the hell can they get by with this...I mean you either eat it or starve especially those who dont make store.. Not only is it not fit for humans but what they serve most of the time can hardly be described as a meal... I can recall feeding my 1 year old more at feeding time than we would get on our trays...So, when my hubby tells me about the dinner they ate he wouldnt feed it to a dog Hey I and everyone else can trust and believe in that. You can pretty much bet that 99.9 % of the state prisons in the country is just as bad with what they pass of for food to the inmates.. Many of the facilities in Ga. only get fed once a day on saturday and sundays...I was housed in a county facility that if you were lucky you got that 1 meal. I feel like alot of these ppl that have the attitude that 'What the hell...they are in prison.' should be made spend a week locked up eating crap they would cringe to even look at much less eat...Especially the officials of all the DOC's, right down to the guards should have to as well and be made eat that sh*t until they decide that no human should have to eat the slop they give..then maybe something would get done about the food situation..and dont even get me started on the medical care guess i better find a tread on that topic to blast my opinion.

kiddsgirl4life
12-15-2009, 09:27 AM
I don't know what we can do, I know there have been several attempts over the years to resolve this very issue. I get so frustrated!! The unit my bf is at goes on lockdown some what often and when they do they get johnny's (little sack lunches) that may have like 250 calories worth of food, 3 times a day. They aren't getting enough calories that's for sure. His unit was on lockdown for 3 weeks once and I swear when I saw him again he looked like he'd lost 45 pounds, and he's not overweight by any means to begin with. He literally looked like he was starving!! Each time they go to commissary they prices have been raised yet again, and they can only get so much at a time that has to last 2 weeks. It's crap and completely inhumane what they do to these people!!! Animals get treated better!!!

He's also told me, he's broken a molar on a rock that was in his food. And very often they find insect parts in their food!!! I just don't understand how they can get away with this crap!!! I hate that he has to be subjected to that!!!

I feel you...I been on both sides I was locked up and my hubby is now...It is really absolutely inhumane...When i was down i lost so much weight that my daughter refused to come see me b/c she said i looked like i hadnt eaten in a month and i looked too bad that she couldnt handle seeing me that way...It is just beyond comprehension that these officials can sleep at night. I also had a broken tooth from something in my food, that we never did figure out what it was, then they refused to fix it...they let my tooth get so infected they had to take me to outside medical...Nice huh? Last year Thanksgiving my hubby says " baby they fed us raw (what was supposed to be) turkey sliced so thin you could read the newspaper through it." I cried for 2 days thinking about that. He was in the hole so it was stone cold on top of that. If the food and medical situations in these places aint a crime against humanity I dont know what the hell is. And anyone reading these posts and stories coming from inside think it's an exageration, NO it is not...It's all true.

kiddsgirl4life
12-15-2009, 09:37 AM
my husband was fed food in county that was so hard you had to dunk some of it in water to soften in it up in order to chew it.
their water was WHITE.. not clear. you couldn't even see through it!
write to the paper, the news, anywhere you can get it out to the public.
i will warn you though, most people who don't know someone in prison will say, "who cares, they are criminals, they are doing time, they don't deserve good food"
etc...
i've heard it all! but good luck!

Been there done that...the toast or biscuits(LMAO) they gave us had to be soaked a good minute to be able to even bite it...toast, could be used as a lethal weapon...that's no bull.
I agree with you I wrote an editorial to the newspaper about it needless to say it didnt get published, my town is not that big so they didnt want to make any fuss about what goes on...but it's always worth a try...I'm always writing to someone, my pleas more than likely fall on deaf ears or blind eyes but I will keep on doing it b/c sooner or later SOMEONE out there is going to pay attention and start exposing these facilities and the ppl that run them.

JanetBerry
12-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Snopes covers this topic periodically. It may give some of you peace of mind. Snopes dot com /food/prepare/badmeat dot asp.

greeneyedlady19
12-27-2009, 11:22 PM
i was told this some 6 months ago by a lady that is associated with acorn. from what she said they are on it right now.

cornered
12-28-2009, 06:59 AM
I remember when I was in jail they kept serving us pork products. You could smell the rot on some of it. Because of my church affiliation and ordination, I confronted the jail staff on this. They thought it was all funny and such until I sent a letter to the jail commander complaining about the violationsand I made reference to RLUIPA, and the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Next day MY meals were so much better. The rest of the inmates got the same crap, and if you wanna talk about trouble brewing! They got peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for lunch, I got a cheeseburger and fries! They get scrambled eggs and rotten bacon for breakie, I got a hamburger patty, eggs and gravy with biscuit. They got pork chops and mashed taters & gravy for dinner, I got fried chicken, mashed taters & gravy and biscuit.

Some of the food I got wasn't that great, it's bad when you can smell the rot on a burger patty (no matter how much you cook it, you can smell the rot). But it's a lot better than eating rotting pork. My church forbids eating pork.

stacy2009
12-28-2009, 07:14 AM
OMG Im so glad my boyfriend is allowed food packages....and i used to get frustrated having to package 35 pounds and then take it to staples to mail it...but now i will do it with a smile....he hasnt mentioned anything about the food in his facility but im going to ask him tonight...its disgusting that they would be able to even purchase food that should be thrown out much less serve it to people.....

joetnymedic
12-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Not sure about CT now, but I can tell you with certainty as I worked in the kitchen - 2006/2007 FMC Devens, not fit for human consumption, puddings from 2004/2005 same for ice creams. Sometimes you got chicken on steroids from usda sometimes what looked liked cooked pigeon. Sack lunches-ha don't even take me there, And I will tell you the food was taken out from the warehouse to the kitchen where it would thaw on the floor until someone would finally speak up loud enough for the guards to open the freezers for us to put the stuff in if we were lucky enough. Oh there was plenty of fun in the sandbox. From talking to some of the guys still there, food quanity has picked up, but for the most part qaulity has sort of improved. I'm trying to get word if they are still doing the same crap now as when I was there as I would love to report them to whoever I could. FEDCURE wanted to have someone get a label out, unfortunately, at devens at least they sure do go through every piece of mail they can and I know guys that got caught trying to send stuff out and did time up at the white house (SHU) for "violating security" because of it. BTW anyone who doubts it, at Devens you can't even seal your mail they do it for you after they check it, read it or whatever. Try sealing it and it's coming right back to you. I kid you not. Place takes things to a whole new level. I'm sure there are plenty of other guys from Devens that will read this and back me right up.

LOVELY123
02-25-2010, 04:07 PM
some dAY we will be infront of GOD and we will ask for forgiveness

fairy tail
07-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi!!
the last time he called me, told me that they are having chiken 3 or 4 times a week, he also told me that he never eat it because is not well done and he give it away it to some one else but the last time they have chiken he just put it in the garbage because the chiken was green.

Rot food plus poor health care, wander if this has relation with unexplained last deaths!!!!

cwilson3333
11-06-2010, 03:52 PM
The only thing that I can think of that is going to change this, is for one of us to see if we can get our guy to send one of the labels home, and take it STRAIGHT to the news. I'll get Scott on it.... See if your guy can help too...

My husband lives mostly off commissary food. He can't stand the "kitchen food" and if he goes, he just gives it away to somebody who has to eat it.

rjonda
11-08-2010, 01:45 AM
I know everytime my husband eats the kitchen food he gets sick, he told me that it gives him loose bowels. So he lives off of commissary food to. And thats really sad that they cant serve them good food!

crazigirl
11-08-2010, 09:25 AM
The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Then he will say to those on his left, "Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me."
They also will answer, "Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?"
He will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

lovingwifewaiti
11-08-2010, 09:33 AM
My husband got a job in the kitchen and said he couldn't believe how dirty all the pans were! He said it had caked on food from many uses ago! His job was washing dishes so he took the time to actually scrub them clean and got a kuddos from the staff. He said there should have been a lot more sick people the dishes were that bad!

glb12345
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
We never have enough food so he will sometimes eat left overs from the prison kitchen and he says it it good better than top ramen. ITS PRISON so its not supposed to be amazing but it is ok not bad or horrible

Kelleysgirl
11-14-2010, 09:43 PM
I think that state prison is worse than FED....I had family locked up in both settings and the one FED had no complaints about the food. Now my baby is doing state time and when I went to visit him well not only did he tell me about the labeling on the food but others sitting at the same table told me the same thing. You know sometimes I dont think there is much that one can do in regards to the DOC usa wide they r going to do what they will. The states are going to pass the laws that they will and GOD help you if you get caught up in the law and now subject to eat the food. State Property GOD KEEP US ALL!!!

Burythecastle10
11-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Same goes for military. Grade d meats...

MrsRLB
11-15-2010, 05:17 PM
This thread makes me cry. Its sad.. Idc wha anyone has done to be put in prison. It is not our job to judge. && decide that people should be treated like this. I can't wait for the day, all the prison staff is standing in front of God. Because its going to be a sad eternity for them. God bless the souls of the inmates.

pan
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
yes what can be done about this?

His Beloved
02-27-2011, 11:37 PM

You may want to consider contacting the local office of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). In 2008 the ACLU in Arizona filed suit because of the deplorable conditions in the Maricopa County Jails, including the rotten food being served to detainees. The case is ongoing. It seems the wheels of justice sometimes turn slowly.
ACLU In Court Today Challenging Conditions At Maricopa County Jail

Sheriff Joe Arpaio Seeks To Evade Federal Oversight Despite Inhumane Living Conditions And Lack Of Medical And Mental Health Care

sillymom2three
03-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I don't know if anything can be done about it. And it's pretty much nation wide.. my hubby said in his last term, the news came in because of that and inmates death, and the whole time the news was there, they were feed good food and everything, as soon as the news crews left.. guess what?? It was right back to nasty

I think 49 hours should send someone under cover in there or something.

gramspin
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
[quote=JJT;571063]I went on a visit last weekend, and my fellah told me something that has me very upset. Okay.... SCREAMING MAD!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:[/quote
well, there are many things i agree on any many i do not. i worked in max. prison for over 10yrs. and everyday that i worked i ate the same food the inmates ate and it wasn't that bad. yes, it is bland without much spices but very good when thinking about where you dining it's at least better than some restaurants you'd pay good money for

patchouli
03-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Nope. Sorry. I bet you didn't eat any the bar-b-q sandwiches that were served to the inmates at the couny jail My Mr was initailly at.....they were 6 months past the expiration date and black. I'll bet none of the employess there were served the same thing. Several inmates were sickened. And that should be illegal. :cool:

moony
03-31-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm confused here, since this is an old thread. My friend asked something about this, so I was wondering what is it about that. is there currently an issue about food not fit for human consumption, or it that more a rumour?

as such serving food not fit for human consumption is illegal: both domestic and international law require that inmates
be provided basic human needs including adequate food.

MissingChris~
03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Hello everyone my man is currently @shelton prison in washington and has only been there for a week. He said the food there is 100 times better than oregon. four yeas ago he did thirteen months in OR prison system and worked in the kitchen and he told me the same thing, the food boxes said " not fit for human consumption". H is a chef by trade and is trying t get a kitchen job so i will ask him to check the food boxes at shelton. this is crazy to me they can get away with this. Good job on persuing some resolve on this guys.!

CouchPotato
09-02-2011, 07:27 PM

You should definately write the ombudsmen's office in your state. They will do an investigation. Also the Federal Prison Bureau regulates many of the conditions in the prisons of every state. You can write or call there. If you vote, call your representatives, or go see them if you can spring the trip, your inmate does not vote, but you and 12 other family members do. Even if the practice is normal, or "regulation", if you make it uncomfortable, you might stir up some change. Be very careful about calling the Warden or local officials, your inmate could very well be retaliated against. Lastly, if you can afford it, send him money for commissary.

mysonsinyankton
09-03-2011, 10:26 AM
My son has celiac disease and he too, passed out and cracked his head on a concrete floor from lack of adequate nutriton. He basically has to feed himself out of the commisary and that is very limited. It took about a year for him to get some alternative foods served to him, and still that is very limited. He has seen the boxes of small, deformed chicken parts that is served occaisionally, and he said it has Cyrillic writing on the boxes. So either it came from out of this country, or was intended for shipment overseas. So probably not fit for human consumption, as per the USDA.

miniplicity
09-04-2011, 10:04 AM
I served time at KCIW, and honestly, I thought the food was pretty good. It was gourmet compared to the county jail I was at. Some meals were better than others. The pancakes they'd serve once a week were especially good, but you'd have to rise at 5:45 and trudge to the chow hall in freezing temperatures. One night they had meatloaf and mashed potatoes that were just wonderful - as good as anything you'd get from Cracker Barrel. I guess it depends on the facility. They would serve bologna sandwiches and pinto beans on occasion, and I always skipped that meal. ;)

VinnysGirl
09-04-2011, 02:33 PM
In Oregon too...packages of meat and fish that say "not fit for human consumption" Like they feed them fish bait and dog food. Yuck...

hmpstyalk8
09-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Hmp styal- manchester- uk! Chickens- hairy, chickens that cudnt b sold in supermarkets! I neva touched it, it was horrible! Mash- had peppers n shit in, wasnt nice! We had sunday dinners with hairy past sell by date chicken, veg that was rock hard that was left ovas frm places, and the mash with peppers! Breakfast- we wud get a pack with super the night before, it contained, rice crispies- 2 sugars- 3 tea bags and a 100ml carton of milk. Every night we ad that given us. Lunch wud b ham, cheese or noodles- noodles u had to make with hot water. Dinner- mainly pasta shit that looked like sick. Didnt eat it! I liked the curry, the homemade flapjacks and thats pretty much it, i used to by ready brek with my spends and crisps n live of that, we was locked in our cell for a hour to eat, then sent bk to work round the prison. Everyday 7.30 wake up and banged up 7pm. Lunch bang up was 12 til 1. Dinner bang up was 5 til 6. I wudnt let my dog eat prison food, it aint fit for humans, no wonder ppl droppin ded in them!

leighmarker
09-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Just saw my son in Burlington CO....getting me a label that says not fit for human consumption. He works in the kitchen and wont eat most of the food. It cannot be id'd by most. He didnt say anything about anyone getting sick, but the guys in his pod seem to have acess to the commissary better than others. Shouldnt this still be illegal to feed it to our guys/gals in prison.??? I dont understand how they get away with it.

gagirl09
09-05-2011, 09:59 PM
my baby said the food is real nasty at ventress(alabama), but he was at st.clair and he said they had better food, he said the meat taste like kerosene and half of the time the kitchen dont even have water, i mean OMG! thats so nasty..

CraigsWife
09-05-2011, 10:59 PM
I hear what everyone is saying,, I don't agree with it all,, I'm laughing about nutrition,, have you seen what they fed the kids in public schools? There isn't much in the way of nutrition as far as I see it but they say it's balanced and healthy,, I ate prison food for 19 months,, fact is I lost weight,, but I was healthy,, I didn't load up on the carbs,, and there is plenty to go around in there,, Canteen,, my husband orders 60 soups (top ramen) a month,, what he orders on canteen is not healthy at all,, junk food! I'm thinking if there is any truth in "not fit for human comsumption" that it just might have more nutrition than fit for comsumption foods! His cellie swore to him he read the same thing in their kitchen,, They have a lot of mouths to feed in prisons,, He writes and tells me what he has for dinner,,seems to be quite a variety and balanced,,, wish someone would feed me some of those meals,, It just isn't moms cooking,,bland,, and the guys that do the cooking aren't exactly gourmet chefs! Sorry if I am offending anyone but just needed to express my view on the prison food issue.

Jason'sMama
09-05-2011, 11:36 PM
It is true . My son was in prison at Elmore in Alabama and worked at the meat processing plant . He said the boxs clearly state NOT FOR HUMAN COMSUMPTION !! He said the beef meat patties are cow hearts ground up with the arteries and all in to supposed to be hamburger patties . If I am not mistaken Ventress , Staton and Elmore are on the same road . Sure they have the same food ..

swooden
09-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I have heard many horror stories from my guy about the food. It is terrible that they feed this slop to our families in prison. What can we honestly do?

hmpstyalk8
09-06-2011, 09:19 AM
In hmp styal i put alot of weight on, i went in size 6 cum out size 12 thats not cuz i eat alot, thats cuz the food is plastered in lard n stuff, everyfin has that much grease on it, its so unhealthy, suprised ppl ay avin heart attacks cuz it ay good for ya, mays well eat few tubs of butter and few boxes of lard

thatwiz
09-08-2011, 11:08 AM
If they have commissary, then you give them enough money for a full buy of food. My lil girl says the same cooks at prison are at her school-most things are undercooked, overcooked or don't look right-thats just food cooked in any kind of institution. They are trying to save money and cut cornors. It's not like what you would buy for yourself.

hawaiibound
09-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Forrest City FCI Low also is serving food "not for human consumption"....so my husband tries to eat as healthy as he can through commissary. Can't say I blame him!

hywesley1
09-21-2011, 05:59 AM
[quote=JJT;571063]I went on a visit last weekend, and my fellah told me something that has me very upset. Okay.... SCREAMING MAD!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:[/quote
well, there are many things i agree on any many i do not. i worked in max. prison for over 10yrs. and everyday that i worked i ate the same food the inmates ate and it wasn't that bad. yes, it is bland without much spices but very good when thinking about where you dining it's at least better than some restaurants you'd pay good money for

I also was a correctional officer in medical/mental health and I ate the same thing the inmates did. Yeap, its not biscuits and gravy but it wasnt always bad. Now my brother is in prison and the oats they eat is the same thing they give to horse to eat ... guess what, its oats. The meat they eat is soybean ... guess what, thats on the outside to. Its blah, and bland, and plain ole nasty tasting. But its food.

And you know what else ... there are inmate cooks. THEY get the best of what comes in. THEY get to eat more. And DOC does it cause it costs less. OH .. someone said that when the news people where present the food was great but as soon as they left it was back to "normal". Thats what happened to the prison where I worked, when the "big wigs" of DOC showed up..great food, when they left .. same ole crap. BUT that crap wasnt all that bad.

One of the problems is that they have a certain amount of time to eat and its most likely not enough. At least at the prison where my brother is they have food weekends 4 times a year where we can bring in "real food" and the inmates can eat all they want while visiting but cant take it back with them.

I dont like this either.

palewhitedragon
11-08-2011, 10:44 PM

Grade D meat in CT and anything spicy is power washed roadkill deer.
The "prime rib" or "Roast" every other Sunday is 100% slaughtered old horse!