FAX : (478) 864-4104

ADULT MALE FELONS
CAPACITY: 930
CONSTRUCTED: 1991
OPENED: 1992
SECURITY LEVEL: MEDIUM
RENOVATED:

MISSION:
To protect the public by providing a safe and secure facility through accountability, discipline and programs for inmates, thus offering each the opportunity to re-enter society with the tools needed to become a productive member of their community. To provide general labor to the City of Wrightsville/Johnson County, as well as surrounding cities/counties.

HOUSING:
Consists of one Supportive Living Unit (Mental Health) housing 92 inmates, eight buildings housing 96 double-bunked inmates, one Assisted Living Unit housing 70 geriatric inmates and one building housing isolation/segregation inmates.

WORK DETAILS:
City of Wrightsville, city of Sandersville, City of Swainsboro, Johnson County, Department of Transportation and general labor.

PROGRAMS: [

I]Academic:[/I] Literacy, GED, ABE, GSAMS

Substance Abuse: RSAT, PRI

Counseling: Corrective Thinking, Stress Management, Pre-Release, Mental Health Awareness, Victim Impact

Recreation: General Recreation

Religious Activities: Various Worship Services

Vocational/OJT: Building Maintenance, Horticulture, Laundry and Customer Service

DIRECTIONS:
From Atlanta: Take I-20 east to Highway 15 (Siloam Exit). Continue on Highway 15 to Wrightsville. At the caution light, turn left onto Trilby Street. At the end of Trilby Street, turn left, cross bridge and turn left onto Donovan Road. Johnson State Prison is approximately ½ mile on the right.

mchhuff
11-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Need to talk with someone about Johnson, My brother just arrived! please I have questions.. you can also email at *email address removed by moderator*

shai
10-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi! I found your thread. My husband just arrived at Johnson, could you tell me how it is? Thanks

Rubyf777
01-19-2007, 08:10 PM
I need some information-please. My fiancee has just been transferred to Johnson State Prison and I know nothing about this facility--visitation, phones and anything anyone can tell me. I live about 4 hours from there. Can he call me--when can I visit? any information would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Rubyf777

freckles1
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Does anyone have any info on Johnson State? my son was just moved there last week.

sherriwalker
04-17-2007, 08:36 AM
My brother is there and i would like to know how he is doing?

waynenletha
04-20-2007, 03:58 AM
My husband is also at Johnson.What is your brother's name and I'll ask him if he might have met him when I visit this Saturday.

Rubyf777
04-21-2007, 05:30 AM
This is for anyone who has a loved one at Johnson State Prison. My fiancee is there and they have a severe sewage problem. The sewage backs up and they have human waste flooding all over the floor. This is in the H building. The inmates are told to clean this up using a mop and clorox. They ask for rubber gloves but was refused. This is inhuman treatment for anyone to live like that. There is all kinds of disease floating around. Even dogs don't live like that. They are trying to keep this so no one knows about it. It has been going on for years I am told.
Another thing-if anyone wants to find a wonderful site --type in Southern Center for Human Rights--Great information there

Jess29230
05-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about this prison my grandfather was just transfered there from Jackson? Any information would help at this point
Thanks alot

cappi'sgirl
05-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi Jess29230,
I'm sorry to hear that your grandfather is incarcerated, but YOU can be a tremendous blessing to him. I have some answers for you about Johnson...hope they help.
Your grandfather will go through orientation within a few days of arriving at Johnson...they will tell him all he needs to know about life at Johnson.
If you were on his visitation list at Jackson, you will be carried over onto his list at Johnson. If you were not, write to your grandfather and tell him to get a move on it. He only has a very short period of time to get people on the approved list. You can write to him at the address listed at the top of this page, but also include your grandpa's name and GDC number.
Phone calls: Your grandfather may call you collect via MCI. After a few calls you will have to set up an account with MCI by calling 1-800-231-0193. You'll be asked to fax them a copy of your local phone bill. After that it's a few days before you can begin receiving calls. The calls are about $6.75 a piece. Once you've received $65 worth of calls, you'll receive a warning call. Once you've received $100 in calls, calls from your grandfather will be blocled until you pay the bill.
VISITATION: Visitation is from 9am to 3pm Saturday, Sunday, and most holidays. It takes FOREVER to get in so be prepared to be annoyed. :-) I usually get there around 8:30-8:45am and get in line. (If you get there past 10am, they'll probably tell you to come back after 12 as they won't let you in during count) You'll see everyone at the front of the prison lined up under an awning...there's only one way in - you can't miss it. Once the gate is opened, you'll stand in line again in front of a window. At this wondow you'll tell the guard who you're there to see and you'll give her your ID and your car keys. She'll give you back your ID and a token, which you will give back to her after your visit to get your keys. She'll buzz you through another gate. Once you go thru it you'll walk up a hill and veer to your left and go in the door there. STOP. Wait for the guard to tell you to go thru the metal detector. If you go thru without her permission she gets really pissy so just wait. Once you're through you go to the counter. The guard will ask who you're there to see and you'll hear her call on the phone or radio for him. You'll need to sign in on the clipboard and give the guard your ID. She'll stamp your left hand with invisible ink. Then you'll to the door behind her toward the right. It will be locked, but the guard on the other side will hear you yanking on it and buzz you thu. In front of you will be a black/purple light. Put your hand under it so the guard on the other side of the glass can see it. Once she does, she'll buzz you through the next door. Whew! Finally, you're in the visitation room. Sometimes a guard will tell you where to sit, sometimes not. If not, just find a table with only 2 chairs, unless you have someone else with you. Don't feel self-conscious when you walk in...trust me, no one is looking at you. They're just waiting for their loved one, or already visiting with them. :-) You'll want to take money with you. Inmates are only fed twice a day on weekends so your grandfather will probably be hungry. You can only take $20 and it MUST be coins...NO PAPER money, and no pennies. The money MUST be on a clear bag, such as a ziplock. I bought a cute little zip-up bag at WalMart, but whatever. When your grandfather comes in, you can hug him for a little bit before you sit down. You're not supposed to touch after that initial hug but you can usually get away with it, a little. At about 2:55pm , they'll yell that you have 5 minutes left for visitation. At 3 they tell you that visitors must leave and you'll go back out the way you came. You'll show your stamp again and wait to be buzzed thru. You'll get your ID back and sign the clipboard again after finding your name that you signed this morning. You go back down to the 1st guard shack and give the woman your token so you can have your keys. That's it! I haven't meant to treat you like an idiot, I just know I was scared and intimidated the first time I went to a prison. I didn't know what to expect.
A few other things...your id, coins in a see-through bacg, and your car keys are the ONLY things you can take in. No phones, sunglasses, hats...don't even try it. They'll make you take it back out to your car and you've wasted your time as well as those behind you in line. You can wear sandals, but make sure you have a pair of tennis shoes or the like in the car. I haven't had any problems, but I've heard it depends in the guard. If they don't want you to wear an open-toe shoe, it will do you no good to argue with them, just go change. You can't wear sleeveless tops and you can't wear shorts.
I think that's about it. If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll be glad to help. Best of luck to you. I hope you get to see your grandpa soon.
LeAnn

ozzma
03-19-2008, 07:20 PM
LeeAnn that was excellent information. Except for the blue color and the razor wire, you covered everything. ~~~ My son is at Johnson. He's been out of Dorm H for a few weeks but he told me about the sewage backup. he said it's awful but I got the idea it's sporadic? He's not one to involve himself with anyone or anything so for him to even mention it was big.

cappi'sgirl
03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
My husband doesn't complain about much either. I'll have to ask him if he's experienced any sewage problems in his dorm.

I hope you're having a GREAT day! :-) Keep your chin up.

ozzma
03-28-2008, 08:40 PM
I got a letter from my son today and he told me it backs up about once a month in H building. I quote - "People have no choice but to walk through it - it is your assigned dorm and they aren't going to let you go home until it's fixed, are they? Living conditions are appaling. It's very unsanitary and staph bacteria runs rampant. Prisons still have TB outbreaks." He also said it's BS that there is horticulture available as vocational training. He started talking about the way things are and you could feel anger.

ozzma
06-06-2008, 05:29 PM
My son mentioned there is a way to set up a phone account so he can cal home. Do any of you know how this is done or what company provides the service? He sent me an 800 number but it doesn't ring to anything so I can't figure out how to use it. He called it Global Communications... It doesn't seem to Google right. I sure would appreciate the help if anyone knows about this. Thanks.

Kat
06-06-2008, 06:44 PM
welcome to Pto here is the info on GTL site...If you do not have an GTL direct billed account, our customer service representatives are available to help our customers Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. until midnight Eastern Time at 1-800-231-0193. Answers to many common questions are available through our automated customer service system. By simply entering your 10-digit telephone number, you will hear information relevant to your issue, and will be directed to the party best able to help you

ozzma
10-10-2008, 12:37 PM
What have you all heard about frequency of meals at Johnson? I've heard they are cutting M-Th down to 2 meals a day and F-Sun are 1 meal a day? Does anyone know if this is true?

ozzma
11-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I wanted to call and see if visitation could be a go for Friday - but the phone number listed for Johnson doesn't work. Anyone have an alternative one? Thanks much! ~A

Kat
11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
here you go and BTW I called this number and asked them about what days you can visit it Thursday,Friday,Saturday and sunday here is there info,hope this helps you.
Johnson State Prison
ADDRESS:
POST OFFICE BOX 344
WRIGHTSVILLE, GA 31096 TEL.: (478) 864-4100
FAX : (478) 864-4104

ozzma
11-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I tried that number over and over today and after dialing 8 of the 10, it would give me an error - since you said you were able to get through, we'll go Friday Morning early - Thanks a lot for the help. ~Amber

PAM126
12-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi my brother just was sent to Johnson I just want to know how is it there

ozzma
12-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi pam. I can only give you a blanket opinion. Prison's suck. PERIOD. I guess Johnson's as good as any and that isn't saying much. Food is bad. Medical is bad. They charge you for everything and make decisions that will have you grinding your teeth.

I'm going up next Saturday to see my son. I try to go every month or so. People get weird when they have too much time to think.

I had everyone I know send my son xmas cards with silly pictures inside. He probably got 40! I found out a couple of people didn't put their return address on the envelopes - I know it's hard to write to a stranger in prison. Someone said they won't get things without return addresses - next yr, I'll tell people to put my address on the envelope if they are worried. That should work!

I hope your holiday is good even though you have to deal with this situation. Merry Yule everyone.

ozzma
01-25-2009, 03:37 PM
I've been on the phone with Comcast all day - after all the crap with getting my phone ported over and set up so I don't loose the ability to have my son call me from prison, now I find out they will only work with ONE company and that company doesn't service Johnson State Prison. I am so angry. How can they jerk me around like this over and over and over? I was transfered over and over again and each time ended the same way - The transfer disconnected. I am so pissed off. I will file a complaint with their lisencing board. How can they refuse to let me set up a pre-paid account with the company of my choice? How can tell me I can only use one company through them? How can they ok ONE company and not another? I may have a child in prison but that does not make me stupid or uneducated or one who will sit back and not do anything.

Has anyone bypassed this "no collect call" policy of Comcast's or set up their service using GTL AND Comcast? Any help would be appreciated before I tear someone a new ear tomorrow? Can GTL assist? :angry:

ozzma
01-26-2009, 07:55 AM
I called GTL and they helped me with a direct billing account. All fixed. Comcast still provides sucky service, but at least they can't hurt me like I thought they could. I was tracking down who I could complain to; FCC, BBB, etc. I'll save it for service reasons and pull my fangs back in. ~A

moma k
01-27-2009, 12:29 AM
ozzma,,now for the good part,,save all your energy to fight GTL,,because they are real works of art,,for most of us,,its trouble at every turn,,but you will find out soon enough,,remember were here when you need us,,,

ozzma
01-27-2009, 08:11 AM
well, I can deal with the money issues, but not getting the calls is another matter all together. Thanks for the heads up.

antswifey
02-03-2009, 05:03 PM
My husband was just transferred to Johnson and after reading all this, I am not happy at all. He was in a county camp and things were pretty good but because he keeps having really bad headaches, they moved him to Johnson for medical care. His counselor at the county camp said there is a chance he could be moved back but I won't hold my breath. I'll just pray on all of this and let it rest in God's hands.
Does anyone know how long after their loved one was sent there that they were able to call home? Also, does anyone know if the rate is the same regardless of if you have the same area code as the facility? The county camps phone service was cheaper if the phone number had the same area code. Also, does anyone know if he can call any number as long as there is money or if he has to call certain numbers that have been approved by the counselor?

ozzma
03-19-2009, 09:23 PM
my son has been moved to Autry so I won't be hanging out here - he may still be a sleeper, we aren't sure. For now tho, it's Autry... food's better so we won't complain too much, or too soon. Cya later... ~Amber

friendoffamily2
10-12-2009, 12:02 PM
can any of you tell me anything about thie RSAT program- my son was just sent there from Bostick prison to take this 6 month course
friendoffamily

waitn4mybaby
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Welcome to PTO. If you put in a search you will pull up tons of info on RSAT, but here is a basic rundown. RSAT stands for Residential Substance Abuse Treatment, but everyone in it is not necessarily there for drug charges. It is a six month treatment program and from what everyone has said it teaches life skills. There are four phases, I've heard they are color coded but I'm not sure what each color is. The phases are:

1. Assessment and Orientation
2. Active treatment
3. Re-entry planning
4. Relapse prevention exit-planning

The inmates in the RSAT program are kept separate from the general population and they attend meetings and classes daily. They have a class graduating every six weeks. If they are not mandated for work release and have no holds or detainers and are within three months of their tpm then they (they as in the Parole Board) say that they are trying to release them after they graduate the class. My bf is at Johnson and graduates Nov 5 and many women on here have husband's or other loved ones graduating Dec 17, also at Johnson. We are all waiting to see what happens as far as the releases go. My bf has a tpm of Jan 1, has no holds and is not mandated for work release, so he meets all the requirements for early release but so far we haven't heard anything.

Mommy4Two
10-12-2009, 05:22 PM
And just to add to the above... The RSAT program is operated by a company called Spectrum Health Systems... You can go to the link(s) below and see more about Spectrum by clicking on the links on the left side of the page and also at the top of the pages...

http://www.spectrumhealthsystems.org/programs/programs_corrections.asp
http://www.spectrumhealthsystems.org/about/about.asp

drkangel127
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
my son has been moved to Autry so I won't be hanging out here - he may still be a sleeper, we aren't sure. For now tho, it's Autry... food's better so we won't complain too much, or too soon. Cya later... ~Amber

I havent heard anything about this but I will say let my husband call me and tell me he is only getting two meals all week and 1 meal on the weekends , GA will be throwing him out of the jail by the time I am done with the because that would be a violation of there rights...

drkangel127
10-16-2009, 10:54 PM
So my husband called and told me they called him to take a flu shot randomly the other day and he refused..lol said he doesn't want to be a Guinea pic for the state (long story) anyway they then let everyone know that anyone going to visit at Johnson will now be made to wash there had before visiting and I believe he said they can't visit if they have been sick in the last 20 days , how are they gonna know if someone has been sick or not , AND I DON'T THINK WASHING OUR HANDS ONCE AT THE DOOR IS GOING TO DO MUCH!!

Mommy4Two
10-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Well, as ridiculous as it sounds... I like the idea of them issuing flu shots and making visitors wash their hands! I work in the childcare industry and it's always been stressed to me that hand washing is your number one defense!!!! I wash my hands 1000 times a day - no joke!!!! LOL Well, maybe not a thousand, but at least a hundred!!! I guess they're saying that if you wash your hands before entering, you aren't bringing in germs from the outside... Just like washing your hands before going into a hospital room or a classroom... It all is supposed to cut down on the spread of harmful germs! :)

drkangel127
10-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, as ridiculous as it sounds... I like the idea of them issuing flu shots and making visitors wash their hands! I work in the childcare industry and it's always been stressed to me that hand washing is your number one defense!!!! I wash my hands 1000 times a day - no joke!!!! LOL Well, maybe not a thousand, but at least a hundred!!! I guess they're saying that if you wash your hands before entering, you aren't bringing in germs from the outside... Just like washing your hands before going into a hospital room or a classroom... It all is supposed to cut down on the spread of harmful germs! :)

Well i understand what you are saying but think about it there is a large amount of germs in there even the news is saying the prisoners and such are at a higher risk due to the large amounts of people and contact, so if they are MAKING the inmates wash there hands and I am sure if there is prostitution in there which there is not everyone is concerned with washing there hands that work there and they don't allow hand sanitizer for the inmates so granted washing our hands my limit how much we bring it but to me it doesn't compare to whats already in there, they didn't tell them anything About H1N1 or the shots or even tell them in advance about the flu shot they just out the blue called him and he was kind of like whoa wait a minute i don't even know what you are giving me I I am limited on info so he said no ( I kinda wish he had ) but I know him and I know how he is and I understand why he would question the state of GA ..lol

This was someth9ing I read earlier

The added problem in jails and prisons is that stepped-up hygiene needs to be balanced with safety and, in some cases, could actually compromise safety, Blumberg said. For example, "alcohol-based hand gels can be dangerous in that environment," he said.
Budget cuts may even be contributing to a hygiene crisis.

Mommy4Two
10-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Oh well... I guess I'm just a big ol' germ-a-phobe anyway!!! The childcare I work in uses normal handwashing procedures, but we also use Germ-X! The kids love it and we tell them that it's magic soap... Some people say that it teaches them they don't have to wash with good ol' soap and water, but I don't think it does... We do both and whenever we use magic soap we talk about how we're killing all the yucky germs and how germs make us sick... and using magic soap makes our hands nice and clean...

I never thought about prisoners using hand sanitizer... I just assumed they could wash their hands with soap and water! It works too!! LOL! And I get what you're saying... believe me... I get it!! :D I just think we should all wash our hands before and after every visit! My girls and I did... We went to the bathroom and washed our hands on the way in and on the way out! Didn't take no germs in and didn't bring no germs out! LOL!

I'm sure if they offered my hubby the flu shot, he took it! He always gets the worst of it! He has been so sick with the flu and everything else you can imagine every winter! He's always been like that... He doesn't find it as funny as I do, but I always seem to get a good little laugh when he gets sick... This big macho man, sick and in bed! :D

Hopefully we'll all be done with the DOC soon enough anyway!!! Then they can use OUR germ-x and not pose a risk to society!

waitn4mybaby
10-17-2009, 09:08 AM
I talked to my bf yesterday and he said he did take the flu shot. I was glad he did really cause if there is an outbreak in there it would be so easy to catch with everybody in such close quarters. I'm just surprised the DOC actually went to the trouble and expense!!!!! I guess they realize it would be a lot cheaper to immunize everyone than to have to treat them in case of a really bad outbreak. With all the COs coming in and out and the people coming for visits they are like sitting ducks if something gets in there.

kalikim30
11-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Hello ,I have a friend in johnson that i have been looking for and would like to know how to contact him via mail. I have nothing but his gdc number and the adresse there

Mommy4Two
11-02-2009, 06:04 PM
You can address your mail this way:

Inmate Full Name
Inmate GDC ID# X-1/123X (dorm, bunk, etc when you get it)
Johnson State Prison
PO Box 344
Wrightsville, GA 31096-0344

I'm not sure if they require the dorm, bunk info, etc, but you can call the prison to find out. I always include it just in case... The number is: 478.864.4100

babedolll2002
04-14-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm new to this site. Can someone give me the latest on Johnson State?

Mommy4Two
04-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Welcome to PTO! My husband was at Johnson for some time, but he's not anymore. I don't have current info, but all the things I knew about it are on here already. Maybe someone can help that has a loved one currently housed at JSP. Good luck! :D

ScarecrowsAngel
05-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Headed to Johnson this weekend. Fingers crossed, anxious and nervous all the same. will see anyone visiting there bright and early. ^_^

LORNA
05-15-2010, 01:02 AM
I hoope you have an enjoyable visitation weekend

SavannahDoxy
04-30-2012, 03:06 PM
My husband was just transferred to Johnson from Jackson... I saw the info on visiting hours on this forum, but it was posted back in 2007. Does anyone know if days/hours are the same? I haven't seen him since he left our county jail to go to Jackson back before Christmas and I'd really like to get over there ASAP. Wrightsville is only 2 hours from me.

tanya900
05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
My husband was just transferred to Johnson from Jackson... I saw the info on visiting hours on this forum, but it was posted back in 2007. Does anyone know if days/hours are the same? I haven't seen him since he left our county jail to go to Jackson back before Christmas and I'd really like to get over there ASAP. Wrightsville is only 2 hours from me.

The visiting hours are Sat, Sunday and holidays 9 to 3.

mrs504
07-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi, my fiancée was transferred to Johnson back in January and I've always been on his visitation list and now for some reason I'm not anymore. He has been trying to get me back on and find out why they took me off in the first place. Can someone please help me and tell me what can I do to find out if I'm still on his visitation list because when I called Johnson they tell me that I'm not. I don't know if they are just being nasty or just not checking to see if I am or not. They have been telling him since he got there they will let him know. Well now I want to know what I can do to find out and let him know because its frustrating him just as much as its pissing me off. He is so much closer to me now and I really miss him. He has been 2 hours away for so long and then they moved him an hour and 45 minutes away, now that he is only 45 minutes away its like now all of a sudden I can't see him. NO I'm not going for that. Someone please, please, please, help me if you can.