View Full Version : info on Minnesota Correctional Facility at Lino Lakes

HelpAWriterOut?
05-03-2004, 11:52 PM
I am a writer and am working on a novel where I have a character who volunteers as an adult literacy tutor in Lino Lakes Correctional Facility in Minnesota.

could anyone help me out with info on how this setting kinda works. like with visitation, and where people park, and what kind of process you have to go through to visit people, and where employees park, what kind of crimes people are convicted of in there... etc...

:thumbsup:

If you dont know about Lino Lakes in particular, any kind of advise or guidance would help me out anyway even if its just a similar prison.

thanks a million

Inside Out
05-24-2004, 03:42 PM
I live in Minnesota and was incarcerated at a County Jail for one year. My husband was also incarcerated at the same time. He went to prison. In Minnesota all inmates are sent to St. Cloud Prison for their orientation. They spend at least 30 days their of which the first two weeks are in 23 hour lock down. This is where you meet your social worker who will be reviewing your case and deciding which Prison you will be sent to.

My husband was in St Cloud, Moose Lake Correctional Facility and then went to The Challenge Incarceration Program at Willow River. I think the visiting etc would be very similar at Lino Lakes...although I have never been there.

First of all to become a visitor you must fill out an application and be approved. Some prisons do not allow you to be on more than one inmate list. The inmate must also have you on their list and can take you off at any time. As you arrive at the prison there is separate visitor parking and staff...all in the same lot, but clearly marked. You will also notice the cameras as you are being watched. No one is allowed to wait in the car while another visits.

As you enter the prison you will see a "bubble". Inside will be Prison guard. He will ask which inmate you will be seeing and ask for identification. Visiting hours are marked and last an hour or two. You will then be asked to walk through the metal detector, which is very sensitive. There are signs everywhere about visitors bringing in contraband and how you will be arrested if any is found. A heavy metal door will open and you will enter the Sally Port. You are now between two locked doors. Now the door that leads to the Prison is opened while the other one is closed.

There was an area that was a waiting room and as you sit there you will hear your named called over an intercom and then you can go to the marked visiting room. Inside are several chairs with inmates all dressed alike and you proceed to go to your loved one. He is allowed to stand and give you a short hug but no other physical contact. Children are allowed to touch the inmate and a small play area is available for the kids to get a book to look at etc.

All visits are monitored by staff. They watch everyone and listen to conversation. Staff will notify you when you time is up and once again the inmate is allowed to stand up and give you a hug. He is then led out of the visiting room and is strip searched after each visit. This includes family, attorney etc. Visitors are also subject to strip searches if staff feel it necessary. It never happened to me though.

Lino Lakes is a medium security prison and is known for their sex offender program. Many incarcerated there are sex offenders. Lino Lakes is also home to a faith based program of the Prison Fellowship Program.

Here is a link http://www.corr.state.mn.us/facilities/linolakes.htm

Hope this helps

FrozenInMinn
10-12-2004, 04:09 PM
I was incarcerated in lino Lakes for a short period of time and had one visit while there. When it comes to other prisons within minnesota i can help alot because i actually spent some significant time in Moose Lake and Faribault. The visiting is very similar.

Frozen

iimaprincessi
02-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I am a writer and am working on a novel where I have a character who volunteers as an adult literacy tutor in Lino Lakes Correctional Facility in Minnesota.

could anyone help me out with info on how this setting kinda works. like with visitation, and where people park, and what kind of process you have to go through to visit people, and where employees park, what kind of crimes people are convicted of in there... etc...

:thumbsup:

If you dont know about Lino Lakes in particular, any kind of advise or guidance would help me out anyway even if its just a similar prison.

thanks a million
In the past 18 years of visiting my dad I have been to St. Cloud, Stillwater, OakPark Hts., Rush City and Now lino lakes. As far as parking and what not it just depends on wich part you are going to and how packed visiting is that day. You go in fill out a form and wait wich seems like forever then when your called you go through the metal detecters and through some doors to the visiting room, areas are sectioned off for different people w/ diff. crimes and also areas for family visiting. Its not much diff from anywhere else.
Randi

EddysWife
02-09-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't think areas are sanctioned off for different people for different crimes at all. I've sat in every area in that visiting room at one time or another when I've gone up alone, and when I go with the kids, we either sit in that little alcove by the toy chest or by the door going in and out of the registration area.

JAM29
04-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I live in Minnesota and was incarcerated at a County Jail for one year. My husband was also incarcerated at the same time. He went to prison. In Minnesota all inmates are sent to St. Cloud Prison for their orientation. They spend at least 30 days their of which the first two weeks are in 23 hour lock down. This is where you meet your social worker who will be reviewing your case and deciding which Prison you will be sent to.

My husband was in St Cloud, Moose Lake Correctional Facility and then went to The Challenge Incarceration Program at Willow River. I think the visiting etc would be very similar at Lino Lakes...although I have never been there.

First of all to become a visitor you must fill out an application and be approved. Some prisons do not allow you to be on more than one inmate list. The inmate must also have you on their list and can take you off at any time. As you arrive at the prison there is separate visitor parking and staff...all in the same lot, but clearly marked. You will also notice the cameras as you are being watched. No one is allowed to wait in the car while another visits.

As you enter the prison you will see a "bubble". Inside will be Prison guard. He will ask which inmate you will be seeing and ask for identification. Visiting hours are marked and last an hour or two. You will then be asked to walk through the metal detector, which is very sensitive. There are signs everywhere about visitors bringing in contraband and how you will be arrested if any is found. A heavy metal door will open and you will enter the Sally Port. You are now between two locked doors. Now the door that leads to the Prison is opened while the other one is closed.

There was an area that was a waiting room and as you sit there you will hear your named called over an intercom and then you can go to the marked visiting room. Inside are several chairs with inmates all dressed alike and you proceed to go to your loved one. He is allowed to stand and give you a short hug but no other physical contact. Children are allowed to touch the inmate and a small play area is available for the kids to get a book to look at etc.

All visits are monitored by staff. They watch everyone and listen to conversation. Staff will notify you when you time is up and once again the inmate is allowed to stand up and give you a hug. He is then led out of the visiting room and is strip searched after each visit. This includes family, attorney etc. Visitors are also subject to strip searches if staff feel it necessary. It never happened to me though.

Lino Lakes is a medium security prison and is known for their sex offender program. Many incarcerated there are sex offenders. Lino Lakes is also home to a faith based program of the Prison Fellowship Program.

Here is a link http://www.corr.state.mn.us/facilities/linolakes.htm

Hope this helps
im glad to read this. which facilty are you talking about that inmates get strip searched? you can also pm me.