FAX : (912) 966-6799

ADULT MALE FELONS
CAPACITY: 1580
CONSTRUCTED: 1981
OPENED: 1981
SECURITY LEVEL: MAXIMUM
RENOVATED: 1999

MISSION:
Provides diagnostic and intake services. Maintains a Level III Mental Health Unit.

HOUSING:
Consists of seven housing units each containing 36 cells. These 36 cells are divided into 12 two-man cells and 24 four-man cells. There are 44 Administrative Segregation cells and 30 Disciplinary cells and 15 Protective Custody cells. The L Building housing unit contains four 54-bed dorms. The N Building contains a 184 bed unit with two-man rooms. Another 384 additional beds are located in O and Q buildings with eight dorms within the two buildings.

WORK DETAILS:
Coastal State Prison has no outside details.

PROGRAMS:

Academic: GED

Substance Abuse: Substance Abuse 101, AA

Counseling: Release Orientation, Victim Impact, Family Violence, Corrective Thinking, Depression Group, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Life Issues, Communication Skills, Anger Management, Focus Group and Worry Control

Recreation: General Recreation

Religious Activities: Various Worship Services, Bible Study

Vocational/OJT: Horticulture, Food Preparation, Barbering

DIRECTIONS:
From Atlanta: I-75 South to I-16 East to I-95 just outside Savannah, then go North on I-95. Exit right onto Highway 21. Turn right at the first traffic light on Grumman Road. Cross two sets of railroad tracks and turn left at the sign.

DJ1
05-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Can anyone give me any info on Diagnostics at this Prison, my son was just transferred last week, I have his ID number and other information from the GDC site. Anything else that may help me will surely be appreciated, can he have visitors, etc. Thanks

Jennifer_04
05-20-2004, 08:16 PM
As far as i know,all diagnostics are about the same with visiters. You can visit after 6 weeks,since you're his mom. I answered your post in the parents forum btw...is you didn't see it

Sayvonpm
03-26-2005, 06:30 PM
My friends fiance was just transferred to this facility (2/22/05) and she needs to know how she can find out the rules reference visitation and how soon she can visit him. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CaraLJB3&4
04-04-2005, 04:25 PM
In order to visit she will have to recieve the papers from her boyfriend, send them back and be approved. I was able to visit within about 5 weeks. Mine was there underdiagnostics for 12 weeks, so don't hold your breath about the 6-week thing. You visit in the gym accross from a table. If ya need anymore info PM me I can tell ya all about it.

Darkaurora
06-06-2005, 04:08 PM
This is described as an intake facility... does this mean my brother will be moved somewhere else? If so, when? What happens while he's at Coastal? Thanks!

bumble_beezer
09-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Hi - the same sort of situation has happened to me - my fiance was just transferred today . . . so i understand i can't see him for six weeks - will he be able to use the phone? And so it's not a contact visit? You can't sit beside or hug the inmate?

nikichik
09-27-2005, 10:41 PM
well my guy called me the day after he got there ..he was going to call when he got there but i was at work he says .. so you should get phone calls ...and i havent been to visit yet but i heard it was contact visit .. like you got to sit across from the table and you got a hug when you come and go ...keeping my fingers crossed that i will get to go for a visit in a week or two but i dont know ... he says hopefully he will be moved from there since hes done with his test and classes ..

jonskytten
10-26-2005, 05:36 PM
This is described as an intake facility... does this mean my brother will be moved somewhere else? If so, when? What happens while he's at Coastal? Thanks!

I second this question, my lover/fiance just got sent over today. This is my first adventure in the prison system, and I"m not sure what to expect. My Jonboy is goung back in on a parole violation. All charges are misdemeanors, all 1st offenses of the type... and the original charge was burglary...
I have no idea what to expect. They review his case in Feb, and I just don't know what to expect. I"m scared they'll send him back in for the full 6 he has left.
If anybody here has been where I am, and made it through, I"d LOVE to talk to you! Only peeps I have to ask right now are well, former inmates with very bitter opinions.

crystal001
12-11-2005, 02:58 PM
My husband was shipped out from the county jail Wendsday night and was sent to Coastal diagnostics. I have not heard from him since Wendsday and I am in bad shape!!! Does anyone know when I should hear from him? Will I be able to go and visit soon?If any one knows please help me out!!!!:(

bumble_beezer
12-12-2005, 08:53 PM
hey . . . I'm not sure exactly when they're able to call but it shouldn't bee too long after they get there - so sometime soon for you i hope! You can't go and visit until 6 weeks!!! But I know if you were like me - it is worth waiting . . . I visited my fiance for 9 months! behind a glass and have yet to be able to hug him! But in a couple of weeks - after Christmas I'll get to. So 6 weeks after he is transferred you will be able to visit. I think you will be able to hug when you get there and sit across a table. The visits are only on weekends and are like 6 hours long. You can bring money for vending machines. Also - if he sends it to you in the mail in time - you can send him a box for Christmas - but he has to send you a request form.

tiny_n_fatt
01-15-2006, 07:35 PM
my boyfriend is about to be shiped to coastal....
i have done seen that i cant see him for 6 weeks
and maybe more. But can i write him and send money
or what can i send, (if i can write)? does anyone know?
if you do please let me know!!!! thank you so much!

jenbug
01-27-2006, 12:00 PM
My boyfriend was shipped there about 2 weks ago and i have heard nothing from him. are they allowed to write letters or use the phone???please let me know asap!!!!

Kat
01-27-2006, 03:36 PM
when my friend was sent to coastal he called me the same day...so i know they can call and write

K9lass
02-15-2006, 02:12 PM
My son was transferred there monday night. Luckily, I only live about 15 minutes from there, so its a short trip. I cant wait to see him again. I am used to seeing him twice a week, so now its a wait and see situation. I also have not heard from him since he got there. I am hopeful he will call soon. He is still awaiting court, but was sent ahead to coastal since he violated his parole. I just continue to pray and send good thoughts towards my son.

My son is Roy Bailey and he's 21 years old if you want your loved ones to say hello. Lord knows, I wish he could make a good friend in that place.
God bless all our locked away loved ones. God give us the strength to hold on while they are there.

dionboy
02-20-2006, 07:19 AM
my son's father was sent to coastal 1-31-06, its hard!!!! i know he'll be there a while, want buddies for support, please email me !!!

tara_ga37
02-20-2006, 07:39 AM
It's been a long time since my husband was there . I would imagine it's still the same . It takes about 6 weeks before you'll get visits . They're contact . A hug coming and going . You'll sit at a small table . We were able to hold hands sometimes . They have a lot of vending machines . Hot food too . Husband says he hated it there . Diagnostics .... ewww ! He said if you're going to be staying there the whole time , it's ok . Just diagnostics is hard . You're pretty much on lock down . They can write and get letters . They can use the phones too . Kinda hard to get to them tho . You're loved ones will be a lot happier when they get to where they'll be staying i'm sure but I wouldn't worry about em too much .I know that's easier to say than do . Good luck to yall

jwj8741
02-27-2006, 12:35 PM
I used to be in Coastal about a year ago. If anyone has any questions or concerns, I am more than happy to answer them. As far as visitiation goes tara has pretty much got it right. When you first get to coastal you have to fill out a phone list & visitation list. The phone list has to be approved and put in the phone system to call that number. THe visitation list takes a while to get approved. As far as people worried about loved ones being shipped off to another prison, There is no set time that you get shipped. The guards come in twice a week at night & tell the inmates who needs to pack up. You won't know until they get to where they are going because they don't tell the inmates until after the phones are cut off. Some inmates get shipped off quickly(four or five weeks). Some stay a long time(8 months to a year). You should hope that your loved one gets shipped quickly. Nobody likes to stay at a diagnostic camp. Besides that Coastal is a mental health camp.

dionboy
02-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Hey K9lass!! My thoughts and prayers are with you also, my son's father is in coastal, he's been there a couple weeks, he'll be locked up for some time. I'm in Ohio so its very hard. I'm trying to adjust, its not easy, I just ask the Lord to hold my hand through all this. you are very lucky you live close. Whenever you need a buddy, send a message. God Bless!

JMIKESLADY
03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
My husband has just left the county jail yesterday. He was sent to Jackson but I received a letter from him saying he was on his way to Coastal. Will he stay there or is he just there for diagnostics? Is it a hard prison. What should he expect? Will he be able to go outside and get some fresh air? I see from other posts that I probably won't hear from him for a bout 6 weeks. Is that right? Thanks for all the information I can get.

jwj8741
03-09-2006, 05:35 AM
Your husband will probably only be at Coastal for diagnostics. It's not a very hard prison, he just won't be able to do much. It's almost like your on lockdown all the time. He will get to go outside a little bit. Just not for to long. Believe me when I say that he will be ready to go to a permanent prison after six weeks. He could be there longer though. It took me over four months to get a spot at a permanent.

HisBabyGirlLaLa
03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
My fiance got shipped to Costal last week. So far he's gotten into 3 fights, and seen 2 stabbings. Should I be worried?

jwj8741
03-09-2006, 02:56 PM
It is prison. He's going to see some crazy stuff. If he's been in 3 fights in a week then he needs to change some stuff or he's going to have a hard road. He can't go into prison thinking he's the top dog or having a chip on his shoulder because someone is going to want to show him up. Being in prison he's going to get in some fights. He shouldn't be fighting that much though. Does he have a bad attitude about being locked up? How much time does he have to do? There is a few tricks about staying clear of trouble. Tell him to stay out of the drug game & try not to gamble to much. I saw more people get hurt over those two things than anything else. Biggest thing is to not try and act bad. That puts a bullseye on your chest in prison. I find it kind of hard to believe that he has been in that many fights. Being at Coastal is almost like being locked down all the time. It's not that easy to fight in the diagnostic building and not get caught. I doubt that much has changed in less than a year. Just tell your fiance to cool it. that's my advice.

phatface
06-22-2006, 08:32 PM
hello, I'm knew to this: I'm here searching for my baby brother. He was shipped out from Thomasville on Monday night. please let him know that his family got the phone call late Wednesday. Tell him to keep his head up and keep praying. We miss and love him dearly. Oh yeah his baby boy will be here real soon

Love always,
Phatface :) :)

keep smiling and praying!!!!

Eternal Hope
06-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Phatface, Welcome to PTO and the Georgia Forums! I am sorry to say that inmates do not have access to the internet, so we cannot relay any information to him for you. You should be able to write him or receive letters in a few weeks. Good luck to the family and once again, welcome!

Mobile
07-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Can anyone give me any info on Diagnostics at this Prison, my son was just transferred last week, I have his ID number and other information from the GDC site. Anything else that may help me will surely be appreciated, can he have visitors, etc. Thanks
Hey I noticed you stated something about a GDC site where you got their ID number. What is the site's address?

MOBILE

Eternal Hope
07-06-2006, 05:14 PM
The site for the Georgia Dept Of Corrections, which includes an inmate locator, and facilities map is :
Click here (http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/default.html)

raw327
08-08-2006, 11:04 AM
My husband was sent to coastal today. I called and they said you can't visit for 10 weeks. Is this true if anybody has information please let me know.

cdmack
08-08-2006, 05:41 PM
My man was sent there on 7/18/06....at which time they told him he could not receive visitors for 6 weeks. Every case might be different though. He finished up his diagnostic testing yeasterday, met with the parole investigator for his final interview yesterday and was told he would be transferred to a minimum security facility very soon. The first week he was there they gave him all the medical tests...the second week he went through the other mental, educational testing...he was moved from one building to another within those 2 weeks after the medical testing. He is serving a non-violent offense, so it just might be different for each individual case,,,or it just might be you spoke to the wrong person on the phone....sometimes one might tell you one thing and another might tell you another.....also, he was able to call me right away from both buildings. Hope this helps.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gp4ume
08-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Hello to all, this is my first time on this site. Please bare with me. My son, who is 22, is currently at Coastal. He will finally be able to have visitors starting this weekend. He is my oldest of three. Giving the situation, I can't tell you all how excited I am to be seeing him. Any advice concerning my visit?

rileysgirl
09-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't mean any harm by this, but I think just from the fact of you having already been in Coastal would have taught you something about respect. My boyfirend is there now waiting to be shipped to God only knows where and even though he has a paranoid schizophrenic mental disorder, it sure wasn't his idea to be locked up in a prison just because of his illness. I am quite sure that the Drs. there give the medications needed to those that need them. But take my word for this--a person with a mental disorder is no different than you or me. And too, I like many others are trying our best to change the fact of these individuals being treated like they have a disease, when it is an illness. I am sorry its just that you "pushed my button."
This goes out to jwj8741! This is a Maximum Security Prison! Central State is a state Mental Hospital. Coastal has a mental health division but it is NOT a Mental Health Camp!

jwj8741
09-13-2006, 06:11 AM
Wow, where did that come from? Did I attack you? I don't think so. The only reason I post on here is to help people understand what to expect. You don't have to take what I say to heart if you don't want to. The fact of the matter remains though that I have been there and you haven't. First off Coastal is not a Maximum security prison. It is a Closed security. Big difference. Coastal does have normal prisoners who are permanents. I never said that it didn't. The majority of permanents there are mental health though. Coastal is mainly a diagnostic camp. The diagnostic prisoners are kept seperate from the permanents. Coastal has a small number of permanents compared to other prisons in Ga. The fact is though it is a mental health camp. Be it not a big one. That does not mean that he is in there because he is a mental health prisoner. Like I said the do have some normal prisoners in Coastal. You don't have to take what I say to heart. I don't really care. I know what I'm talking about. Attacking me for no reason won't change the facts. I am only on here to help people. Not to get into a flaming war with someone I don't know.

rileysgirl
09-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Man, I am here to say that I do apologize for 'biting' your head off. Yes, you would know about this place. The stuff that one is told about Coastal is never the same, but coming from someone that has been there sure makes a difference. Sorry about 'jumping your bones' about the Mental Health part also. It's just that after the fact that I have lived with a man there that has paranoia schizophrenics and have actually been there when he wasn't taking his meds, schizophrenics isn't the same with everyone,which I am aware that you know this also. Since he has been there and back on his meds, he has told me about how some of the folks there are that aren't taking their meds.
Again, I do apologize. I know he says it will be 60 days before I can see him and that alone has been a battle. Said something about a paper I was to fill out before I could see him, but I haven't gotten anything yet. So, I don't know. :(

yankscousion
09-28-2006, 11:37 AM
can some one help me my uncle just got moved there and i dont know why can someone help me out

Kat
09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Yank was he at a county jail before being moved to Coastal?At Coastal they will do testing there but one good thing about Coastal they can call and have visits right away.If you are going to visit he will need to send you a form,you will need to fill it out and send it back i to be approved.When you visit there you will need to fill out another paper before going in.Take quarters to use at the machines to buy food and drink,you will sit at a little table and he will have to sit with his back to the wall and he can not get up unless he asks to use the restroom.I hope this will help you

kat

keyamitchell78
10-01-2006, 05:52 PM
I Thank Everybody For Telling Me Some Things About This Prison.my Fiance Is At Coastal State And They Have Changed The Visitation To 60 Days Before You Can See Him The First Time.

Kat
10-01-2006, 10:39 PM
wow when I went there he could visit right away,Can they still call? He called me the first day he got there.

rileysgirl
10-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I am looking for anyone that has a friend or family member in the Medical wing of Coastal State Prison. I haven't heard a word from Riley Adams in 2 weeks and am very worried about him. Could someone please help me find if he is still there -been moved-or what may be wrong. I would sure be very appreciative.

Zack's Mom
11-01-2006, 03:16 PM
My son just got shipped to Coastal as a permanent. Were you there as permanent? If so I have a few questions. My son has already been in prison for a year so I know a little about the system.
this is for jwj8741

sweetpea91966
01-10-2007, 03:40 PM
My son was transferred there monday night. Luckily, I only live about 15 minutes from there, so its a short trip. I cant wait to see him again. I am used to seeing him twice a week, so now its a wait and see situation. I also have not heard from him since he got there. I am hopeful he will call soon. He is still awaiting court, but was sent ahead to coastal since he violated his parole. I just continue to pray and send good thoughts towards my son.

My son is Roy Bailey and he's 21 years old if you want your loved ones to say hello. Lord knows, I wish he could make a good friend in that place.
God bless all our locked away loved ones. God give us the strength to hold on while they are there.hi, my name is tabatha and my husband is suppose to be getting shipped out to coastal. he's in clayton county jail now. how long does it take them to ship them out and what can he have at coastal as far as clothes or anything.

Zack's Mom
01-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Tabatha.......If your husband has not gone thru diagnostic, that takes any where from a month or so. My son didn't do testing there. When he went thru it I couldn't see him for weeks but different prisons vary. Usually in diagnostics they can't get any clothes. Just mail & money. My son has been locked up for 3 years. I send him $20 a week. He seems to do okay on that. From the time he was sentenced it took 5 months to get shipped. He is in Coastal as a permanent. Its alot better than where he was. Some people get shipped faster than others. Good luck.

JamalsWife
01-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Hello my fiancee was shipped to Coastal on 1-25-07 and I was wonder if anyone knows who I need to set up phone calls with and about how long before I will hear from him. i don't really know how to use this whole forum thing yet so I could use help with that to. Any help is appreciated

apf2489
01-26-2007, 02:22 AM
Hello my fiancee was shipped to Coastal on 1-25-07 and I was wonder if anyone knows who I need to set up phone calls with and about how long before I will hear from him. i don't really know how to use this whole forum thing yet so I could use help with that to. Any help is appreciated

Was he sent to Coastal for Diagnostics or as a regular transfer? You don't set up phone calls, he has to from in there. If he's in diagnostics he won't be able to call until that is over. How long it takes to hear from him, will depend on him, and how long it takes him to write you.

JamalsWife
01-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Well thank you for the info! He was tranferred just for diagnostics and he got 6 years do 3 years with credit for time served (9months) does anyone know what the percentage is they have to do for a nonviolent?:confused:
Was he sent to Coastal for Diagnostics or as a regular transfer? You don't set up phone calls, he has to from in there. If he's in diagnostics he won't be able to call until that is over. How long it takes to hear from him, will depend on him, and how long it takes him to write you.

JamalsWife
01-26-2007, 09:54 AM
:new: Hello if you could help me with any info dealing with Coastal State Prison I would appreciate it. My fiancee just got shipped there last night and i know absolutely nothing about what to expect. Anything you know is appreciated, whether it be about phone calls visitation, anything...
Thank You:( :help:

apf2489
01-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Well thank you for the info! He was tranferred just for diagnostics and he got 6 years do 3 years with credit for time served (9months) does anyone know what the percentage is they have to do for a nonviolent?:confused:

It really depends on a lot of factors, is this the first time he's been in prison? My BF is in for drug charges but he has to max out. He's not eligible for parole. If you guy has been in before then that will be a factor in how much time, but I think it's fairly common that they will be given a TPM (tentative parole month) after 1/3 of their sentence is over, that doesn't mean they get out after a third is complete, but they get the date when they are going to be eligible for parole, but that might still be years away. You can look on the GDC website, and look him up and see what it says as far as his sentence status and TPM.

coolchica
02-17-2007, 10:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get an online picture of coastal prison?

Kat
02-18-2007, 12:19 PM
coolchica here you go http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/FacilityMap/html/coastal_state_prison.html

sweetpea91966
03-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi Zack's Mom, Thanks for the info that you sent me. When I e-mailed this my husband was still in clayton county jail and he was there for 14 months until March 22,07 and I have'nt heard from him yet. I called MCI and they said he would have to attempt to call here, before I can set up an inmate account with them. He did sneak and called me Thursday to let me know that he was shipping out. I also was calling for weeks to DOC to get his EF number and they kept telling me that his paper work had'nt been done, but the day he got shipped I called and they had the number, so I'm thinking they had it all along. Well ya'll pray for me and mine and I'll be praying for you all and your family.
Love,
Tabatha

PS We're praying that he will on have to do diagnostic and then he goes up for parole. Is that possible?:confused: :(

Tabatha.......If your husband has not gone thru diagnostic, that takes any where from a month or so. My son didn't do testing there. When he went thru it I couldn't see him for weeks but different prisons vary. Usually in diagnostics they can't get any clothes. Just mail & money. My son has been locked up for 3 years. I send him $20 a week. He seems to do okay on that. From the time he was sentenced it took 5 months to get shipped. He is in Coastal as a permanent. Its alot better than where he was. Some people get shipped faster than others. Good luck.

sweetpea91966
03-27-2007, 09:18 PM
I went on the internet and did Coastal State Prison .com and it gave me a good bit of info. If I find anything else I'll let you know.
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get an online picture of coastal prison?

shaunsgrl0130
05-25-2007, 08:40 PM
tab, i believe i'm in the same boat you are. my husband is also in the clayton county jail (or the 9th circle of hell, those people are MORONS) and will be transferring to either jackson or coastal for diagnostics. he was sentenced to a year and his lawyer told his mother (i'm in texas) that under NO circumstances would my husband serve the full sentence. my mother-in-law was also told that more than likely they will release shaun once he has completed diagnostics and now that i've read your posting in the same vein i'm hoping there is some truth to that.

lk200007
07-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Is it true that they make them shave all their body hair (including eyebrows) if they get sent here for diagnostics? Is that true with all diagnostics places?

Kat
07-16-2007, 01:13 PM
NO they shave there head and face THATS IT......

lonefry26
07-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Okay, this is my first time ever having to go through anything like this. My fiance was just shipped to Coastal yesterday from Clayton County Jail, where he spent 3 months waiting to be transferred. He had just received a BC# last week, and was transferred. Does anyone know how this works? After he completes diagnostics, will he directly be shipped to a Boot Camp? I am so lost, and scared for him, and myself. Anyone with answers will be appreciated. Thanks!:o

lyepanzo
08-15-2007, 07:48 AM
I also have a question, If i need to post on another thread please tell. I am new and was wondering. When you do your visits can you give them a kiss hold hands anything like that. how long can you visit for? like how much time do they give you together?

dewdrop
08-16-2007, 07:23 PM
is this prison the same one that would be called Glynn County?

Kat
08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
yes you can kiss and a hug coming and going but thats it...

vixen_FL
09-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I notice some people here get calls from loved ones the next day and some have to wait awhile before they get a call. Is there any particular reason for that? Is it based on what the inmate is in for?

sanders01
09-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I notice some people here get calls from loved ones the next day and some have to wait awhile before they get a call. Is there any particular reason for that? Is it based on what the inmate is in for?

It depends on where he is, if in county he call right away, if a diagnostic depending on which one it can take anywhere from 1-5 months, and then when he get to the camp which he will be station for a while it take 1-2 weeks. then you may have to set up and account for prepaid, if you phone company will let you then they can call directly but if the calls get to out of hand they will put a block on the phone, just keep the mail coming and hold on because GA does what they want.....

Kat
09-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Sanders you are so very right.The state of Ga does what they want when they want and changes rules daily.have I told U all how much I hate ga :)

sanders01
09-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Sanders you are so very right.The state of Ga does what they want when they want and changes rules daily.have I told U all how much I hate ga :)

hold on girl, they can't hold them forever...good luck girl....

DaniC1219
09-12-2007, 04:29 PM
My fiance went here for diagnostics back at the beginning of august.. he called me a couple of days after being there.. they have to wait for a pin until they can call... Also.. i didn't have to have a prepaid account on my phone NOR did i have to set up an account with Global.. he was there for exactly 13 days then they shipped him to boot camp.. now they have taken him out of boot camp because his parole was denied and place him muscogee county prison where he will max out on his sentence (he was sentenced to a year) so he won't be home until april 16, 2008..

A word to the wise though.. the phone calls for 15 minutes from Coastal are $5.50, do not get out of hand with these!! i had him calling me 2 sometimes 3 times a day.. and my phone bill was 270 dollars this month!!! UGGHHH.. He said it wasn't that bad of a place you can make real store and all however, there are people in there doing 20 years to the door.. so its kinda crazy that they put diagnostics in with general pop.. anyway.. good luck all!!!! I know all of us are counting the days until our loved ones come home!!!!

vixen_FL
09-13-2007, 04:01 AM
From his last letter I got he is in diagnostics, which I don't know what they are diagnosing him for. So with the state of Georgia I'm sure not gonna hold my breath! I better get some advil ready in case my wrist gets cramps from writing so much! Ha ha ha.

sanders01
09-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Vixen, the reason they go through diagnostic, is for testing to see what place he will get shiped to and what grade level they are on , so they can use him to work(LOL) and what medical conditions they have if any, they don't want to put HIV,hepABC in the same cell with each other, people with one arm,wheel chair, it took my fiance' four months to get out of there, they try and match up crimes level and age,medical...he older so it took longer, he is now at Wilcox State prison, which is laid back, and he doesn't have to work, but he put in for computer classes, maybe he can emial me(LOL)....good luck...yea by the way GA stinks....

Sxphia
09-14-2007, 11:35 AM
I just found out my ex got transferred to Coastal on sept. 9th, well it says on the GA corrections website. So this means he must be going back for a year or 2? He violated his parole, which he has 3yrs and some months left. to finish his time.

cjohnson12
11-12-2007, 11:47 AM
My son is 20 yrs. and he has been there since Oct 3, 2007 and this is also my first time dealing with the prison system. I received two letters from my son since he has been there at Coastal State Prison and he said that he was ok but I hadn't hear from him since that last letter on Oct 15. and I hadn't been able to get any information about the prison background except what's on the one page website. Can anyone tell me how to get more information about Coastal SP because I need to know more? I will continue to pray for my son and everyone's love ones that God will keeps them safe until they return home. Please help if you have any info. God Bless Everyone! A Mother

Kat
11-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Cjohnson12 Coastal isnt that bad,my friend was there for a few months while being tested.I visited him them once b4 they moved him,you can take quaters to buy food and you have to sit across from him with a little table between you,hope this helps some,He can also after he has your phone number approved call you,I hope this helps a little :)

Sxphia
11-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah my ex ended up spending about 4 or 5 months in coastal before he got transferred to Bostick. I heard its not that bad.

arondom
01-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Inmates have to wait to get a pin number before they can call. That take about a week. I have not been able to get a visitation. Can any one give me info?????? Thanks!!!!!!!

LilSis1979
02-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Hello.
I am new here and my brother was sent to Coastal about 3 months ago. he says he is on some sort of mobile team that fixes things..... not sure if that is true, but. I was wondering does any one know how visitation works at this facility. My mom and I live in Florida. we were going to fly up to visit my brother, but I want to be able to hug him. not talk through a glass wall. Also how long is visitation.. ( 15mins, 30mins 45mins ... ?) thanks

k6886j
02-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi Lilsis1979! I visited my son for the first time in 31/2 months at Coastal this past weekend. First, i recommend you call and make sure your approved, the number is 912-965-6330. As far as the visits they are Saturday and Sunday from 9:00a.m. to 3:00p.m. They are contact visits, when he comes in the room you can hug him and give him a kiss on the cheek but thats all, no holding hands across the table. When you go in only take your i.d., single car key, and each person can take up to 20 dollars in quarters in. They have vending machines that you (not the inmate) can get stuff out of, you can get stuff for him also. Hope this helps.

Kat
02-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Lil welcome to PTO..Have you and your mother been approved to visit?If not your brother needs to send you the forms,you fill them out and send them back and wait to be approved.Visits at Coastal are from 9am to 3pm Sat and Sun and approved holidays and visits you set in little chairs at little tables you can take quarters($20)to buy food and drinks.you can hug & kiss coming and going but thats it.I hope this helps you some...kat

Kat
02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
K6 lol I think we posted about the same time :)

izzyyinsanee
04-30-2008, 08:42 PM
:(my god brother just transfered to Coastal State in April. Does anyone know how to write to him? i know his ID number and everything. please help. i already miss him so much.

Mom of Arthur
05-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm trying to get my son's GDC number (he went to Coastal last Wednesday) by using the Georgia Inmate Query on the GDC web sit. But there's nothing yet. Any other suggestions?

Kat
05-11-2008, 05:17 PM
mom of Arthur, call and ask them his GDC and also as his dorm and bed number so you can write to him here is the address and phone number Coastal State Prison
POST OFFICE BOX 7150
GARDEN CITY, GA
31418-7150 TEL.: (912) 965-6330
I hope this helps you...

Mom of Arthur
05-12-2008, 07:52 AM
klyn - thank you so much, you angel! I did call Diagnostics Coastal, and I was given the information. My email address is khempen@hotmail.com. I'm assuming that our son will spend a typical (6 weeks) amount of time in diagnostics. I'm going to start writing him each day. I didn't think it would be this hard when he left Cobb County, but I feel like he's on the "dark side of the moon." I know I'm probably sounding very naive, but is he safe?

d's_angel
05-12-2008, 11:37 AM
you can call to the prison and give them his name and they should be able to give you his number hope this helps

Kat
05-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Mom Of Authur you may want to send him a Postal Money Order cause if he had money on his books at co it takes awhile to catch up to him and he may not have any stamps paper munchies ect make sure you put his CGD and your return info

Lordbew/us
05-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi Mom of Arthur, my son was at Coastal for Diagnostics. He was moved to his home prision the beginning of April.
From my experience the staff was very helpful, and always assured me that my son would be okay (safe), especially if he wasn't a trouble maker, and kept to himself.
My son was able to call home everyday, more than once if your okay with the collect calls.
He said the food wasn't very good, and they rushed them through the lunch room like cattle. They had to literally inhale their food.
It is an open dorm atmosphere. Once your son gets through the classification process he will probably be moved fairly quickly.
My son is on the quiet side, so of course I was concerned for his well being. He said he felt fairly safe. A lot of the inmates coming into the classification area were going to short term camps. Wish that was my son's case.
There also seemed to be a lot of repeat offenders back in prison/classification. So they are pretty good about passing along their expertise and insight about prison life. HUH! I told my son to take everything he heard with a grain of salt.
Your son should be okay.
He should be able to go to the library and to commissary, so hopefully that will sustain him while he is there.

Thank God he can call you, some of the other diagnostics centers do not allow any contact other then letters.

Take Care!

M.C.
Cobb/Cherokee County
GA

Mom of Arthur
05-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Lordbew/us. How old is your son? Arthur's birthday is May 20. I've already sent him a long letter ready to mail so that it will be there on his bd. We haven't heard anything from him yet, and it's been 7 days since he was transported to Coastal. I'm writing him everyday. I just feel like that will help him feel like he's not on "the dark side of the moon."

I go from worrying about him to being angry with him for getting himself into this situation. I don't let him see any of the anger though. He's taking his punishment. I just hope his future isn't a repeat of this...

Mom of Arthur
05-15-2008, 07:32 AM
We actually heard from Arthur last night! Evidently, Coastal is a lot better than Cobb County! He says he can only speak for his dorm (L Pod?), but that there are no fights. I gave him all the advice that you all gave me. He says he'll probably be there for 45 - 90 days. If he goes to a boot camp, he says he'll be there toward the longer end, waiting for bed space to open up at a boot camp facility. He really likes the food because it's so much better than it was at Cobb County Adult Detention. I'm still writing everyday.

Kat
05-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Mom of Arthur,This is great news I am so happy he called (makes you feel some better) be thankful he didnt go to Jackson cause there they cant call at all..Waiting for a bed in Ga may take some time they ar SO over crowed Good Luck

DLCOBB1
06-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Hello,
I really need some help. I have a 20 year old son that was just transferred to Coastal on June 4, 2008. I have not heard a word from him. The only way I knew that he was there was the calls from the jail stopped so I looked it up on the query. I am scared to death for him. What happens now? Is he really going to be safe. I know he would call me if he could because he has called me everyday for 7 months when he was in County Jail. I really would like to hear from another mom going through the same thing. I feel like I am the only one although I know there are many others. He is not a horrible person just not a very smart teenager that followed the crowd and then violated his probation. Please any news from anyone would be helpful.

kae
06-07-2008, 10:01 PM
welcome to the ga forum DLCOBB1.

although i'm not familiar with coastal, i do know that it may take a couple of weeks for money from an account at county to transfer to a camp. that may delay your son writing and/or calling. you should mail him a money order asap so he can buy stationery.

on monday you should call the jail and speak to his counselor. you can ask questions about visitation or any other questions you may have. you can also find out what phone system coastal uses. if its gtl, you will have to set up an account.

Kat
06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
DLCOBB1 welcome to PTO. we were at Coastal he got to call me the same day he got there but the rules may have changed that was over 5 years ago.I am sure you will hear from him soon and after he is done testing you will be able to visit after he sends you the papers to be approved.Tell him to keep to himself and he will be fine I hope this helps ease your pain and worry some..kat

DLCOBB1
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Do you happen to know how I can send him money and who I need to call to find out about phone calls and sending mail?

DLCOBB1 welcome to PTO. we were at Coastal he got to call me the same day he got there but the rules may have changed that was over 5 years ago.I am sure you will hear from him soon and after he is done testing you will be able to visit after he sends you the papers to be approved.Tell him to keep to himself and he will be fine I hope this helps ease your pain and worry some..kat

Kat
06-08-2008, 06:59 PM
DLCOBB1At Coastal you need to go to the post office and get a money order.You also need to be on his visit list to send money in.If I was you I would call the prison and ask them since he just got there and while you have them on the phone ask then his dorm and bed number.Coastal uses GTL and you may have to get a account set up after he tried to call you GTL number is 1-800-231-0193. and Coastals address is POST OFFICE BOX 7150
GARDEN CITY, GA
31418-7150
I hope I have helped...kat

msTequila
06-21-2008, 04:37 PM
I am new to this my boyfriend was just recently sent to coastal june 3rd for diagnostics. I know about the visitation and all that about he cant get visit from none family members until 60 days i believe but my worry and concern is i received 2 letters from him one dated June the 6th and the last one dated June 9th in his letter he told me that he was ok but he had got into a fight one night and got cut and has 14 snitches but he told me not to worry cuz he was ok. But he also told me that he had enough stamps and stuff to write me for another week or so... but my worry is since then i have not heard anything no letter what so ever and i know he would have wrote by now ... i write him everyday and i have gotten no return letters so i know he's getting my letters...so im sort worried cuz i know he'd write me...but im thinking maybe someone stole his stamps and envelops and he has to wait to go to the store before he can get any more..... so if anyone knows are there a lot of thefts you knwo people taking folks stuff there or is it possible one can lose there stationary or whatever or is it ever a time when an inmate cant write???? cuz i know 100% that he would have at least sent one letter by now im worried its only been 11 days so i may just be tripping but if anyone can help me id appreciate it thanks....this is so hard i miss my baby like crazy but every since 9-29-07 i have written him every day and will cont to support him but i just wanna make sure he ok .....

Kat
06-21-2008, 11:47 PM
msTequila Welcome to PTO. 5 plus years ago we were at Coastal. I cant say not to worry but you have to remember they are doing a lot of testing with him right now and yes there are people in there that will take everything he has..keep writing to him letting him know you care and you are there for him.He may not have any money on his account if he just got there cause it does take some time for them to send from the place he just left so you may want to send him some (if you can).At Coastal they only take money orders from the post Office and they also have a new rule in GA that only people on his visit list can send money in so you may want to call Coastal and have a family member send money in..I hope this helps you some take care

I'm done
06-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Ms Tequilla, You Call Costal And Ask To Speak With His Counselor And Expalin Your Concenr To Them And They Will Find Out And Tell Them You
Need To Hear From Him Today. And Keep Calling.
I Call, I Give My Son Every Other Day And If Three Days Go By And I Don't Hear From Him I'm Calling, I'm Not Playing With That Because If Anything Happens, They Don't Notify You Intil It's Almost Too Late.
My Son Was At Costal For 23 Days For Diganostics, It Was Ok, I Had To Call His Counselor And Ask Him To Hav Mal Call. I Spoke With Mal That Same Evening, That Was Last Year This Time.

msTequila
06-22-2008, 10:25 PM
I really really appreciate all you all's responses to my messages! And yeah i kinda knew they are doing a lot of tests so i've been trying to give it the benefit of the doubt. About the counselor will they speak with me since im just his girlfriend and im not on his visitation list as of yet due to the fact that im not immediate family. I know Im probably worrying for no reason, and on his last letter thats all he kept saying was not to worry and ive tried but i really cant help myself even tho' i know he can handle himself pretty well...but i know its only because i love and care about him dearly. And yes I sent him a money order last week he should have received it on Friday june 13th and yeah they have a new rule where only people on his visitation list can send money orders so i just put his mothers name on it and everything (you dont have to sign post office money orders and besides whenever she sends money i have to ended up going to get the money order and filling it out so no biggie there) BUT I CANT TELL YOU ALL ENOUGH HOW HELPFUL YOU'VE BEEN! When he was in county i talked to him every day so this change is taking a toll on me but i know i can make it through. I Love him a lot and just want to know he has a support person beside him to help see him thru this so its the reason i write everyday (ha i told him hes my personal diary now) but once again thanks!!!! and pls do let me know more info on the counselor and how i can get to speak with them.

msTequila
06-23-2008, 11:45 AM
:) hello again i got a letter from him today and hes fine...just costing a lot of money for him since he got hurt, he had to pay to get the snitches removed and he also said that they are just now letting him write so turns out i was worrying for no reason. Thanks again everyone who replied!!!! He also told me that the mail there is kinda slow too so....

Kat
06-23-2008, 12:41 PM
MsT I am so glad you heard from him and he is ok..

I'm done
06-23-2008, 03:45 PM
MsT
I too am very glad that you heard from him, and I am so very glad he is doing ok.
you keep the faith, I know we all know this is difficult but you hang in there and be strong, not just for him but for yourself.
It will all be ok
Vangee

msTequila
06-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all of your support and concerns! I have one question since you guys are more experienced with this ... how do you all deal with it? Like I am used to talking to him on the phone everyday and seeing him every week which is what got me through when he was in county but now i cant see him or even talk to him so all i do is right and i miss him like crazy and cant help but to think about him all the time but mostly i miss him i know it would be so much better if i could just talk to him once on the phone but i cant because he can only call landlines... how do you all deal with it?? Sometime i am ok and other times im like i am today missing him very bad and wishing to talk to him and everything.... and do any of you know if once he leaves diagnostics and is sent to another prison do you know if he'll be able to call a cellphone or not? i know like global tel link have a prepaid service where you can set it up to call a cell but at coastal they only can have land line in which they have to put on a call list.... i pray to god once he leaves there he can call cellphones it will make this journey so much easier to be able to hear his voice every now and then at least... Just wanting to get advice on how to cope with this because im not going anywhere im not going to leave him cuz i said id be there when things were good or bad and beside being a girlfriend i am also his best friend so i wanna be supportive hows a good way to handle my stress from missing him????

Kat
06-28-2008, 04:58 PM
ms welcome to PTO the way I deal with this is one day at a time and some days one min..State prison you cant call a cell phone you may want to look into PCO it link is on the main page good luck

msTequila
06-28-2008, 05:45 PM
thanks you very much! ok well i have dilemma does anyone think they can help me? and im sorry to keep bothering everyone. well i live with my mother and she pays the phone bill here so my b/f really cant call my house number.... do you all have any ideas how i can talk to him??? like do u think i could maybe get my own land line in my name and have it forwarded to my cellphone without someone knowing?? i really do not know what to do ...his mom lives up the street but she doenst have a home phone so he cant call there either... our calls thur my cell were my only hope and now i cant even do that any more its starting to drive me up the wall literally and i cant think of any ideas i could do so he could call... he already has my home number on his phone list but as i said he cant really call here cuz its my mothers house her bill and to be honest i think she would trip about it so i don't know what to do because we just knew he would be able to call my phone cuz right before he left he told me not to worry cuz he d call me soon as he got there and not he cant cuz they can call cellphones which i really do not get i mean they just like house phones....usually i can think of something but this one im just stomped i dont know what i can do

nevaehmama
10-23-2008, 08:44 AM
he's serving time for a probation revocation now. he just did a year at muscogee county jail and was shipped to coastal tuesday oct 21st. this is his first time for his probation to be revoked. So will he have to do the whole three years? He dont het into no trouble in jail and before he went in he had a steady and good job. He also his 10 more years of probation waitin on him when he get out for the new charges he went it with. Wats gonna happen to him? The whole time he was in the county he was waitin onhis paper work to get fixed. i had to call the head of transfers over and over. so when i called her this past monday she told me everything was fixed and he was goin to leave soon. and sure enough he left the next day.

angfab28
02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
my brother has been there for like a week now and am trying to see how this phone company works so i can put money on the phone if someone knows please help me out thanks

Harley3
02-18-2009, 08:34 PM
My boyfriend as been there going on 4 weeks now. He was able to call home the third day he was there... They have to call a land line phone and we are just doing it the collect way.. It is expensive but it is worth every minute of it...

ceewjay
02-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey Harley3 thanks for the info!!!My husband was just sent to Coastal on Tuesday and I haven't heard from him yet...praying for a letter or some kind of contact today...

chellyhurst70
02-28-2009, 02:13 PM
My husband was shipped out from the county jail Wendsday night and was sent to Coastal diagnostics. I have not heard from him since Wendsday and I am in bad shape!!! Does anyone know when I should hear from him? Will I be able to go and visit soon?If any one knows please help me out!!!!:(

My brother in law was shipped there 2 weeks ago and he just called this weekend they have to turn in a phone list and it gets put into there phone system and only the numbers they have on that list they are allowed to call.. hope this helps you understand and you cant visit for 6 weeks..

RosemaryGail
03-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I used to be in Coastal about a year ago. If anyone has any questions or concerns, I am more than happy to answer them. As far as visitiation goes tara has pretty much got it right. When you first get to coastal you have to fill out a phone list & visitation list. The phone list has to be approved and put in the phone system to call that number. THe visitation list takes a while to get approved. As far as people worried about loved ones being shipped off to another prison, There is no set time that you get shipped. The guards come in twice a week at night & tell the inmates who needs to pack up. You won't know until they get to where they are going because they don't tell the inmates until after the phones are cut off. Some inmates get shipped off quickly(four or five weeks). Some stay a long time(8 months to a year). You should hope that your loved one gets shipped quickly. Nobody likes to stay at a diagnostic camp. Besides that Coastal is a mental health camp.

I hope you're still here. My son was sent to Coastal State Prison last Wednesday (I think), I havent heard from him since. What is ment by "diagnostic's"?

Thanks,
Ros

parkhad01
03-27-2009, 08:36 PM
My husband was sent this past Tuesday, I do not have a land line, he is not on the GDC web site so I do not have a number to write to for money or anything. Who should I call?

Kat
03-27-2009, 09:02 PM
diagnostic's"? is where they test them and you cant visit but he should be able to call.

park if you go to the phone forums you will read that you can get a account so he can call your cell phone also call coastal and get his GDC number and his bed number then to to GDC website and get the address to ATL to send him some money good luck

ladyr101
04-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know how much the calls are from coastal because he can call me straight thru and i never hear the rate for the call

eeniaLorr
04-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I have Globaltellink and I live in Savannah so when my step-son called from there it was 2.60 for 15 minutes. Now that he is in Ware State Prison the calls are 4.85 for 15 minutes. If you have Globaltellink and he is calling to a number in Georgia, the greater the distance away from the call the more the call costs. If you are using another provider then the amount may be different and perhaps someone with that carrier can help. Also if the calls are going out of the state of the Georgia the price of the call is higher.

missgtiller
04-27-2009, 12:14 AM
In order to visit she will have to recieve the papers from her boyfriend, send them back and be approved. I was able to visit within about 5 weeks. Mine was there underdiagnostics for 12 weeks, so don't hold your breath about the 6-week thing. You visit in the gym accross from a table. If ya need anymore info PM me I can tell ya all about it. Could you tell me more about coastal. my boyfriend is geeting sent there for diganostics.

missgtiller
04-27-2009, 12:23 AM
sorry about my typing. this is my first time dealing with a love one getting sent off and i need as much information as possible about coastal.

shaunamelaine
05-13-2009, 07:24 PM
my fiance just got shipped this week i got my first letter today it was the best long awaited letter yet!! i sure do miss him and i wish everyone the best of luck with everything and god bless all of u and ur loved ones!!

TRLTAMPA
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Mine was shipped there 2 weeks ago and i haven't heard from him. We were using Paytell in jail but they don't cover Coastal. Now I feel like I'm in limbo.

TRLTAMPA
05-20-2009, 10:43 AM
I've been looking through all the post and trying to find out exactly what phone service I can use for Coastal and how long it takes. 2 weeks with no contact and counting.

TRLTAMPA
05-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Ifinally got a call from someone in GA who was relaying a msg from my loved one. Turns out he can't get through on my phone. I have to take care of that today.
Also he said people are really unhappy in there. Money isn't being delivered through the new Money Order system. He can't get stamps to write. People are acting out. It's crazy. I'm worried.

Do people ever log in for Coastal. I think I'm all alone.

NeedingSomeHope
07-24-2009, 09:15 AM
My son is going to Coastal next week and I'm in the dark like you are. My lawyer has said that Coastal isn't bad. My son is only 19 and like you I'm scared for him. This is the 1st time he has gotten into any trouble. Believe me I know how you feel. If I get any information I'll make sure to pass it along to you. Let us not loose hope although right now I feel that there is none.

Hello,
I really need some help. I have a 20 year old son that was just transferred to Coastal on June 4, 2008. I have not heard a word from him. The only way I knew that he was there was the calls from the jail stopped so I looked it up on the query. I am scared to death for him. What happens now? Is he really going to be safe. I know he would call me if he could because he has called me everyday for 7 months when he was in County Jail. I really would like to hear from another mom going through the same thing. I feel like I am the only one although I know there are many others. He is not a horrible person just not a very smart teenager that followed the crowd and then violated his probation. Please any news from anyone would be helpful.

veryhurtmom
07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
i just called down to coastel..after october there will be no smoking at all there.

Pakita
08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Hello!

I'm currently looking to see what the inside of the Coastal state prison (Savannah, Georgia) looks like. Would anyone be kind enough to share some of the pictures they have from inside, if such pictures exists?

Thank you very much...in advance...:o

Marie

moma k
08-06-2009, 09:55 PM
?,,I dont think you will find any ,,not allowed,,

Kat
09-05-2009, 06:27 PM
They dont take pics at Coastal just as Moma K said

cmocmo
09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
When my significant other was relocated from county jail, to state prison ... the collect call phone company changed. Global Tel Link is the collect call provider from Coastal State Prison. I had to jump through several hoops before I could receive calls. More than likely, he is trying to call you, but there is a glitch with Global Tel Link. They have a website and their phone number is 877.650.4249. You may want to give them a call. I see that you posted in July, but I hope this helps.

cmocmo
10-21-2009, 04:59 PM
When my significant other was relocated from county jail, to state prison ... the collect call phone company changed. Global Tel Link is the collect call provider from Coastal State Prison. I had to jump through several hoops before I could receive calls. More than likely, he is trying to call you, but there is a glitch with Global Tel Link. They have a website and their phone number is 877.650.4249. You may want to give them a call. I see that you posted in July, but I hope this helps.

I visited Coastal last weekend, Oct 17 & 18 ... It seemed to be ok.

daviddennis
06-06-2010, 03:53 PM
I noticed no one had posted about Coastal State Prison for quite sometime. My friend has been there for about a month. From what he's written me, you'd think he was at a Ritz-Carlton compared to Dekalb County (where he was for 11 mos.) He's in a program which allows him to be on parole after 90 days/3 mos. Apparently there's a 3 mo. program and a 6 mo. program. If he were under 35 y/o he would've gone into boot camp which is also short. They get to go outside for about an hour and he writes a couple of times a week and he gets all my letters (I was told I wouldn't have any contact for 30days but that's not true.

I'm able to send him a watch but it has to be brand new, under $100 and shipped w/ a permission form from the prison which he sent me (he's getting a $15 Timex). I signed up w/ GlobalTelLink but for some reason he hasn't been able to call yet. We think the prison entered the phone number incorrectly. They only eat b'fast and dinner on Fri, Sat & Sun but he has food he bought through the commissary which he eats for lunch on those days. He said the food they serve is really pretty good. They are actually hot meals. Much better than the bologna sandwiches they ate everyday at Dekalb County!

He's taken two courses; one about re-joining society and another about motivation to change. Oh, and when he gets out in August they'll give him new social security card, new birth certificate and some other form of ID. (He had all that stolen a while back).

They've also done all sorts of medical care for him! Complete physical, MRI, cat-scans, complete dental, etc, and only charged him something like $25.

All in all, I don't think it's too bad as prisons go as long as you abide by the rules!

patientformike
06-25-2010, 03:16 PM
I noticed no one had posted about Coastal State Prison for quite sometime. My friend has been there for about a month. From what he's written me, you'd think he was at a Ritz-Carlton compared to Dekalb County (where he was for 11 mos.) He's in a program which allows him to be on parole after 90 days/3 mos. Apparently there's a 3 mo. program and a 6 mo. program. If he were under 35 y/o he would've gone into boot camp which is also short. They get to go outside for about an hour and he writes a couple of times a week and he gets all my letters (I was told I wouldn't have any contact for 30days but that's not true.

I'm able to send him a watch but it has to be brand new, under $100 and shipped w/ a permission form from the prison which he sent me (he's getting a $15 Timex). I signed up w/ GlobalTelLink but for some reason he hasn't been able to call yet. We think the prison entered the phone number incorrectly. They only eat b'fast and dinner on Fri, Sat & Sun but he has food he bought through the commissary which he eats for lunch on those days. He said the food they serve is really pretty good. They are actually hot meals. Much better than the bologna sandwiches they ate everyday at Dekalb County!

He's taken two courses; one about re-joining society and another about motivation to change. Oh, and when he gets out in August they'll give him new social security card, new birth certificate and some other form of ID. (He had all that stolen a while back).

They've also done all sorts of medical care for him! Complete physical, MRI, cat-scans, complete dental, etc, and only charged him something like $25.

All in all, I don't think it's too bad as prisons go as long as you abide by the rules!

I just found out my husband was sent to Coastal yesterday.
I don't understand why we are the only 2 posting this late. I thought he would be going to Jackson because I was told diognostics at Coastal didn't exist any more. I am very confused???:confused:
Can anyone help me?

jackiekay
07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Hello i am a little confused here could someone please help? :blah: My husband was shipped to Coastal prison on Tues, july 6 and no i havent heard from him. Can he write me he had money on his books in the county jail it will transfer right? Also, he was given a year for violation of probation but he already has done and has credit 4 three mnths so I called Coastal and spoke with a counselor and she said he would definitely be in a program but she didnt know which one i would have to call tuesday. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.:angry:

micheals girl
07-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Can they make phone calls while they are in diagnostics? Thanks! I have heard yes and no.

kytydyd11
07-27-2010, 04:23 AM
Hello everyone, I am trying to find out if Shawn LeBlanc is still at Coastal I know he was sent there and was supposed to be released 7/20/10 and I know he is still active in the State Prison listing but I havent heard from him as his girlfriend told me he only gets so much mail and its controlled from whom and what they let him have? I have written him and he hasn't written me back, I guess because this time I'm not babying him while incarcerated like before...I told him if he ever went back again I wouldn't he would have to suffer big time... He just didn't care any more about anything or anyone...I am so worried about him....Anybody have some direction I can pursue?
Thanks so much:rolleyes:

kytydyd11
07-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Hello, Can you tell me if Shawn LeBlanc is still there, about 31 yrs old? I know he is still active in the State registry....But don't know if he's going to be released soon and where? Please get a message to him to write me ASAP (personal address removed per PTO policy - please use PM to contact member) Thanks and God Bless you!!

zbz7658
07-27-2010, 05:14 AM
If you know he is still in the prison system, what do they tell you or what kind of stuff are they saying ? What about his family do they know anything ? This definitely sounds like a somewhat strange situation, but I am sure not unusual. Tell me more, I am always interested in this and have been doing some backgroud studying on my own about the justice sytem in all of its infinite wisdom. Oh yeah, have you skipped past the "first line of command" or those that "could care less" folks to get answers ?

kytydyd11
07-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Hello i am a little confused here could someone please help? :blah: My husband was shipped to Coastal prison on Tues, july 6 and no i havent heard from him. Can he write me he had money on his books in the county jail it will transfer right? Also, he was given a year for violation of probation but he already has done and has credit 4 three mnths so I called Coastal and spoke with a counselor and she said he would definitely be in a program but she didnt know which one i would have to call tuesday. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.:angry:
Hey Jackiekay, I don't think they can have visitation until they finish diagnostics or six weeks, I know you have to go through a company called Global TelLink to put money up on his name and facility (you need is number too) and then he can call you collect on telephone.... He can write after diagnostics I think but if he hasnt had store to get pen,paper, stamps envelopes it will probably take a week before he can actually write.. Oh, and Global TelLink requires you put up $50 on a valid credit card. I hope this helps.

Have a better day, hon, and try not to stress so much it just makes that awful harmone cortisol that just makes you fat.... Go with the Lord, put your man on God's altar and say "God, I can not help my man as much or better than you can, I give him to you, please resolve his issues so he can come home and be the man I need him to be" And I promise, you get answers....Things will start happening you never thought would...Gods Speed...

patientformike
07-30-2010, 09:29 AM
I checked it out. His tpm date is next month. He is still there. Go to the gdoc and type in his name... all info is the including his pic.

Pippy628
08-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Hello : ) My Fiance was transfered from a county jail to Coastal today. One of his cell mates called his mother today & told her he was gone. We are both wondering how long it will take before we hear from him now? Will he be able to write or call soon? I've read some of the threads but not to many recent ones. I know I will need to be approaved before I can visit him. Does anyone know how long that process takes? Both his mother & I want to use our cell phones for him to call. Who do we use to go ahead & get that set up? Yeah..I have a million questions really!! LOL!! When u visit do you actually get to sit in the same room with him? Our visits with him have been through a tv screen for the past 4 almost 5 months in the county jail. So we are really looking forward to actually being able to see him soon..we hope. Any information that anyone can offer that would ease mine & his mothers mind would be GREAT :))) Advise on what we need to do now. We did not expect him to be gone so fast & are both just like..ok what in the world do we do now!!! Can we put money on Global Telink if neither of his numbers are pulling? LMAO!! Ok..yeah told you I had a million questions!! LOL!! I will shut up now..LOL!! Thanks much : )) From a frazzeled fiance & mother

Pippy628
08-12-2010, 05:53 PM
It has been 4 days now since my fiance was moved to Coastal. Still no word from him at all. Can anyone tell me how long it will be until he is able to at least write or call? I'm a bit stressed about not hearing from him now. I just want to know he is there & ok or how to write him. Can we write him now or now? Ugh..I read a few of the post & some didnt talk to their loved ones for almost a month. Is that how it works there? If anyone can respond Id really appreciate it ..starting to trip a little bc I havent heard from him yet. Woooosssssssaaaaaa!!!!!

allyourspapi
10-31-2010, 06:34 PM
It has been 4 days now since my fiance was moved to Coastal. Still no word from him at all. Can anyone tell me how long it will be until he is able to at least write or call? I'm a bit stressed about not hearing from him now. I just want to know he is there & ok or how to write him. Can we write him now or now? Ugh..I read a few of the post & some didnt talk to their loved ones for almost a month. Is that how it works there? If anyone can respond Id really appreciate it ..starting to trip a little bc I havent heard from him yet. Woooosssssssaaaaaa!!!!!

Pippy I hope by now you have heard from your Fiance it usually takes 6 weeks for them to go through diagnostics and if he was put into the boot camp program you will only be able to write to each other. Hopefully he is in GP so you can actually speak to him. My Fiance went through the BC and it hurt so bad not being able to actually talk to him since we could talk all the time when he was in county.

allyourspapi
10-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Good evening,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out because I am at my wits end with this bootcamp/parole probem with Coastal. My Fiance went to Coastal May 17th, 2010 was pushed through diagnostic and was in boot camp a week later. They told him that it would be a 90 to 120 day program which he finished August 21st and was put back in GP. When I started called parole back in August they kept telling me that his TPM was September and September came and went with nothing. Finally I got ahold of a lady that told me that he had not even been approved for the boot camp program but he had reached his 1/3 which was September also. During one of the calls to her she told me that his file was on the examiners desk to go before parole, since then it has and she told me that everything would be "booted" up in the system October 18th which I called her a few days later to get information. She has not returned any of my calls and I don't know where else to turn. It is getting frustrating because guys that came in after him are already going home, guys that went in the same time are going home and NO ONE can seem to give me any straight answers. Can anyone give me information of where to call to see what his status is because the GDC site states nothing but the same thing and the parole site says "no decision" which that is what it has been saying for months. I am getting really down because I need him home and need to get answers.

Thank you

GAinjustice
11-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi all... I'm going to answer some questions for everyone with a loved one at Coastal, except for Allyourspapi, I don't know anything about the boot camp program.... First off, your loved one will not be able to contact you when they first get there... I know its hard, but just write to them, they will get the letters, make sure you put their GDC# on the envelope (call coastal to make sure you have the right number!!!!!), I know my sons was different at the county jail and anytime he comes back to county its not his normal GDC#, so double check!!!!! When he can have visitation he will have to send you a form to fill out and get approved (they do a back ground check) each person that wishes to visit needs to fill out a seperate form, mail that back to your loved one and they will take it out before giving him the empty envelope (i always put a quick note in it to let my son know what I've sent) YES they do monitor what you write... Wait a week after you've sent in the form and then CALL them to make sure you've been approved. VISITATION: Weekends and Federal Holidays 9-3:30 you HAVE to get there by 1pm or they will not let you in. You can take $20.00 in COINS (but they never check to see how much money you have) it has to be in a clear bag, NO DOLLAR BILLS!!!! You can not take ANYTHING in with you, you need to bring your drivers license and your car key (take off all other keys and leave them in your car) they will take your license and keys at the front and when you come back out you will get them back. BEST BET wear jeans/slacks and a sleeved shirt and tennis shoes or dress shoes. NO flip flops, tank tops, skirts or revealing clothes.. Little kids can wear shorts.. BUT it gets cold in the gym, take a light jacket but you will have to wear it, it can not be held in your lap or on the back of the chair. Visitation is contact!!!! You can hug and kiss when your loved one comes into the gym and again when you leave, you can not have contact while you are sitting at the table (if you have small children, the guards usually allow your loved one to hold the kids). The vending machines will sometimes take your money (if this happens ask one of the guards if you can have pen and paper so you can go write the number down from the vending machines to get your money back). They have food (which the guys never get), candy bars, sodas and even ice cream, there are microwaves to heat up the food... it's kinda like going on a picnic and you have all day to spend with your loved one. The guys can not go to the vending machines, they can not leave the tables (only to go to the bathrooms). Global Tel link is the telephone provider and you need to call them to set up an account 1-800-231-0193. I hope this helps everyone. I will post back in a couple of days to let ya'll know about sending books and the package request form they need to fill out to get anything from you... also they have another form for food at certain times of the year... I'll write about that too.... Hope everyone is making the most of these hard times when our loved ones are gone from us...

wlfgone
12-12-2010, 08:48 AM
My husband is at Coastal State Prison and he has been put in the 6 month RSAT program. He calls but we have not had a chance to visit yet. I hope visitation will be soon. He says he has a graduation date of May 19, 2010. Is there anyone else that has a loved one in this same situation. I am trying to find out about his release date, it shows no descision on the Parole site. Will he get a TPM now or after he finishes the 6 month program? What should I be doing for him on the outside thatwill help his situation with the Parole Board? Iam looking for any answers if you want to call me{removed per PTO policy]or please give me a response. I am at my wits end.

kae
12-12-2010, 10:58 AM
hi wlfgone,

welcome to the GA forum. my husband is currently in the RSAT program at Johnson State. However the program has the same info and 4 phases. There are many threads about RSAT in the GA Parole & Pardons section. Do a search on RSAT in here and you will be able to find it. There's alot of info provided by some of our GA members because they had loved ones successfully complete the program in the last year or so.

As your husband nears the end of the program he will get information directly from Parole & Pardons. It will have his TPM and whether or not he is coming home from RSAT or if he has to go to work release. There's nothing you can do right now to push them to make a decision sooner. Hang in there, you and your husband will have the information you seek by late spring.

dswifey1
12-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Does anyone have info on the IRP program at Coastal? My husband said he only has 2 more weeks of classes and his 90 days is up in about 30 says but still no TPM. Will he get out when his 90 is up?

lsbsmith
03-29-2013, 07:14 AM
My son got there this week, how do i get my cell phone to accept his calls. he has called but i can't accept them.:(

lsbsmith
03-29-2013, 07:15 AM
My husband is at Coastal State Prison and he has been put in the 6 month RSAT program. He calls but we have not had a chance to visit yet. I hope visitation will be soon. He says he has a graduation date of May 19, 2010. Is there anyone else that has a loved one in this same situation. I am trying to find out about his release date, it shows no descision on the Parole site. Will he get a TPM now or after he finishes the 6 month program? What should I be doing for him on the outside thatwill help his situation with the Parole Board? Iam looking for any answers if you want to call me{removed per PTO policy]or please give me a response. I am at my wits end.

how are you getting his calls.

Alqt6911
09-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Phone calls have to be arranged through Gobal Tell Link. The number is (866) 230-7761. You need to talk to someone and let them know you want to set up phone calls for coastal state prison. It will take a few weeks before they can call you. You have to be approved for phone calls. As for visits, it is a 60 day waiting period as the minimum. It could take longer. The best way to send money is though j-pay. You can find it online. As for visits, call the GA Department of Corrections for approved dress code at 404-656-4661. They will tell you what you can and can't wear and it changes frequently. For visits, you can bring a clear zip lock bag of quarters. They say $20 max but they don't count it so you can bring more. One huh and kiss at the beginning and at the end.

tammy67
12-19-2013, 08:34 AM
My son was just sent to Coastal and I know he was ordered to the RSAT program there, does anyone know what normally happens to them and will they be sent somewhere else to finish up their sentence once they have completed the program? Also when you visit there with a baby can you bring in bottles and diapers?

Thanks

vickirandy
01-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Can someone please help me? My fiance has been at Coastal for 41 days now and he keeps trying to call but it won't come through to me. I pre paid $50.00 with Global tel link, all is set up on my end.Global tel now tells me that he is calling collect but he says he is not, he is calling using the advance pay option. We are so frustrated, The contact at Coastal for Global tel is still on leave (3 + weeks and counting)so no one can tell me what to do HELP??

Ga lost
01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
For coastal you have to call global and set up your account. It's required you fax your cell bill and proof of address. It's a process that I know seems unbelievable!

Ga lost
01-02-2014, 07:14 PM
We had to set up one phone number and sometimes we would 3 way family because everyone could not set up. Expensive calls, I swear the system can make bad situation worse. Sorry my son had to write and tell us we did not a call to know this.