Mississippi State Penitentiary

Lawrence Kelly, Superintendent

Mississippi State Penitentiary

Post Office Box 1057

Parchman, MS 38738

(662) 745-6611

Superintendent's Fax (662) 745-8912

Records Dept. Fax (662) 745-6305

MSP houses male offenders classified to all custody levels, including A and B custody (minimum and medium security), C and D custody (maximum security) and death row. All male offenders sentenced to death are housed at MSP.

The following is a list of the areas MSP is divided into. If you know the unit that your loved one is in, you can find it on this list and know which warden is over that unit, if you ever need to contact the warden.

Area I - Dwight Presley - Unit 29, 15 as well as the Front Vocational School

Area II - Warden Marion Mason - Units 25, 26, 28, 30, 31, and 42

Area III - Earnest Lee - Units 4, 32

Amy
06-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Visitation for the general population at MSP is either on Saturday or Sunday, depending on the housing unit.

Regular visits are on the first and third weekend of every month. Trustees are given extra visiting days and may receive visits on the regular days as well as the second and fourth weekend, but the day will still depend on the housing unit.

Visitors will be processed through the Visitation Center between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Visitors are bused to the units and the last bus leaves at 1:30 p.m. Visits are scheduled to start at 9:00 a.m. and will end promptly at 2:00 p.m.

The dress code for visitation is strict and enforced. The dress code can be found at http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/visitation.htm

Another note on visiting at Parchman. It is now required that all of the proper visitation forms be filled out and recieved in advance of the first visit. One filled out, you must wait on appoval. It is left up to your loved one to contact you and let you know that you are appoved for visits. If you do not have contact for any reason, you can contact Lt. Stevenson (mailto:astevenson@mdoc.state.ms.us). Her contact information can be found with the information in the above link.

Mrs.Glamma
06-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Just quick note adding that I found Lt. Stevenson to be very considerate and helpful, far more compassionate than Ms. Reeves at SMCI. She called me and my friend by first names. When he got transferred to SMCI, I got "Offender" so and so is.... Such a difference.

My best to you all in these difficult times.

Amy
06-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Just quick note adding that I found Lt. Stevenson to be very considerate and helpful, far more compassionate than Ms. Reeves at SMCI. She called me and my friend by first names. When he got transferred to SMCI, I got "Offender" so and so is.... Such a difference.

My best to you all in these difficult times.
I couldn't agree more. Lt. Stevenson is a wonderful person to deal with, sometimes misunderstood by others, but always respectful.

dimples43
09-02-2004, 03:38 PM
I also would like to say that Lt. Stevenson showed great compassion for my siste and I last weekend. Our dad was in the hospital and we cam for a visit from out of state. I called Friday around 1:30 to see if we could get a visit to see our brother and she stated that she would get it sent over for approval, but for us to call first thing in the morning to make sure that it was approved on time. I called the next morning at 7:00am and Lt Stevenson said that we were approved. This meant a lot to my sister and I to be able to see our brother and to let him know that our dad was ok. I wish we had more people in the world like her, if we did we would not see so many messed up people. Thanks you again LT Stevenson.

Mrs.Glamma
09-02-2004, 07:57 PM
I am really glad to hear that she was able to work out a visit for you; and that your dad is okay.

I also would like to say that Lt. Stevenson showed great compassion for my siste and I last weekend. Our dad was in the hospital and we cam for a visit from out of state. I called Friday around 1:30 to see if we could get a visit to see our brother and she stated that she would get it sent over for approval, but for us to call first thing in the morning to make sure that it was approved on time. I called the next morning at 7:00am and Lt Stevenson said that we were approved. This meant a lot to my sister and I to be able to see our brother and to let him know that our dad was ok. I wish we had more people in the world like her, if we did we would not see so many messed up people. Thanks you again LT Stevenson.

Amy
09-03-2004, 08:22 PM
That is great news Dimples. She really is a good and fair woman. I wish she could see these comments.

Amy
04-11-2005, 11:26 PM
I wanted to add this picture for those of you who have never visited Parchman. To give you some idea of how big the prison grounds are, this is an aerial shot of Unit 29, one of the larger units at Parchman. There are MANY more, but most are not this big.

Mama_Kat
10-27-2006, 08:04 PM
I was trying to view the photo of Unit 29 and was unable to due to permission levels. Is there anyway that I can see the photo?

Mssil
11-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm also unable to view this?
(aerial view...)

PTO-29412
11-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Here you all go - this will give you the pictures without you having to click anywhere else:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/baileyjojoms/242parchman1_sm.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/baileyjojoms/242parchman2_sm.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/baileyjojoms/Aerial_view_of_Unit_29.jpg

Mssil
12-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks Jonathan!

liliuj
09-21-2007, 08:40 PM
thanks... didn't have the privledges either.

mary.terrell
10-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanx A Whole Lot

mrsshaw
02-02-2008, 07:32 AM
My fiancee which is in unit 25 says that they've just got a new warden, do you know anything about this?

PTO-29412
02-02-2008, 12:04 PM
i know of nothing, but it is highly possible

Trippie
06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
If you are visiting parchman how much time would you say it will take to get in. waiting time and going through security?

BelleDesigns
06-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Tomorrow will be our first visit to Parchman to see our son. I will let you know what the time frames were like for us. Good Luck on your visit :)

ebfisherculp60
06-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Tomorrow will be our first visit to Parchman to see our son. I will let you know what the time frames were like for us. Good Luck on your visit :)

How was your visit?? Have a hard time with security ??

BelleDesigns
06-19-2012, 10:02 PM
How was your visit?? Have a hard time with security ??

Actually, it went much better than we expected it to go. I am currently on a cane and my mobility is limited because I have had both my knees replaced in the last 4 months. The latest one was a month ago. There was No Issue at all with me bringing in my cane. Security was very patient, helpful and pleasant.. Even if some of it seemed redundant and very longgg.. lol

We arrived early and got thru the processes as quickly as it could possibly be done. We got on site a bit before 8 and I was hugging my son at 9:15 :D

Getting on and off the bus was a bit difficult, but that was just because of my physical issues.

We stayed until 1:30 and I will be seeing him again in 2 weeks :D

*** One thing we never saw on the site that is being strictly enforced now.. any child under 14 must present a legible copy of their Birth Certificate, EVERY time they visit ***