TEL.: (229) 849-5000

ADULT MALE FELONS
CAPACITY: 1222
CONSTRUCTED: 1993
OPENED: 1994
SECURITY LEVEL: CLOSE
RENOVATED: 1999

MISSION:
Houses inmates with behavioral problems that cannot be addressed at other prisons. Also has 180 Level II Mental Health beds.

HOUSING:
Consists of nine housing units with 46 double-bunked cells each. Four open dormitories with a total of 373 beds. There are 48 segregation/isolation cells.

WORK DETAILS:
A fire station is manned by inmate firefighters. Work details at the Department of Transportation, Department of Natural Resources and Calhoun County are used.

PROGRAMS:

Academic: Literacy/Remedial, ABE, GED

Substance Abuse: AA/NA, Substance Abuse Education, RSAT

Counseling: Corrective Thinking, Family Violence, Victim Impact, Vital Issues, Prerelease

Recreation: General Recreation

Religious Activities: Various Worship Services

DIRECTIONS:
From Atlanta: From Atlanta I-75 South to Cordele then to Highway 300 South to Albany. Highway 91 South to Highway 62 West. Then Highway 37 North to Morgan. Calhoun SP is one mile West of Morgan on Highway 45.

no*pain
05-16-2004, 01:53 AM
:p Thank You For the Information!!!!!
Is there any one who visit any inmate at Calhoun State. :o

MADMAMA
07-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and would like to have some information about Calhoun State Prison. At http://fugitives.dcor.state.ga.us/default.html (http://fugitives.dcor.state.ga.us/default.html) I read that it is a "Closed Facility". What does that mean? I would appreciate any kind of info.
Thanks
:confused:

strongernow
07-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Closed refers to the security level.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59028
This is a post regarding the Georgia Security Levels.

I hope this helps :)

MADMAMA
07-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Closed refers to the security level.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59028
This is a post regarding the Georgia Security Levels.

I hope this helps :)
thank you "strongernow" but your link did not work :(
i would imagine that "close" is a security level. is it the max? and why would it be so?
thanks

Pauley
07-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Go to the Georgia Department of Corrections website and look under facilities query.

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/

strongernow
07-02-2004, 09:02 AM
:) woops don't know what I did..... hehehe

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49739

Thats the proper link!

MADMAMA
07-02-2004, 12:38 PM
thank you "strongernow". it says there that it is a medium security level.
:thumbsup:

:) woops don't know what I did..... hehehe

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49739

Thats the proper link!

vjatlanta
08-08-2006, 01:51 PM
:( I see some of you have some experience with this prison. My 21 year old son was just transfered here. He was in probation and never reported so when they finally caught up with him they placed him in Jackson, GA then in Calhoun State. Please tell me something about this place. I'm terrified!

A Mom.

kae
01-30-2008, 07:53 PM
i just figured out how to do a search in the forum. i'm still trying to finagle my way around pto. but this is the info i was looking. i wanted to share it with anyone else who may need it. have a good nite.

alone66
01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
I have someone in Calhoun. IM me and Ill share with you what I know.

othersideofhell
02-03-2008, 06:08 PM
My fella is at Calhoun State also ... I will try and help in any way possible. Feel free to message me anytime

kae
03-22-2008, 09:38 PM
hi ladies. i made it down here and had my first visit at calhoun. yahoo maps suck, but the guy at the car rental place gave me a direct route to hotel. i figured the direct route from hotel to csp - only 2 highways actually. we had a great visit and i can't wait to see him again tomorrow. thank you all for your help and recommendations.

the weather is warmer than up north so i am happy about that.

othersideofhell
03-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Glad ya made it safe and sound!

Gaqueenbee
07-08-2008, 07:32 AM
my brother was just recently transferred to Calhoun State Prison as well. He was at ASMP for 6 yrs and he finally got tranferred closer to home. No more motels, thank goodness! I too would like to know something about this facility.

othersideofhell
07-08-2008, 03:11 PM
NOt really sure what info you are wanting. I have only dealt with Calhoun and County so I haven't got much to compare things to. I do know that from what I have read, the dress code is more lax then at other facilities. The Mailroom workers WILL hold a grudge if you ever complain. It will take forever for him to get mail if you aren't careful. The food sux. I have also been told that they are reclassifying the facility and changes are going to be made so WHO KNOWS whats in store for our guys in there?! Feel free to message me if ya want. I will try and help ya if I can.

marbear00012
08-28-2008, 08:41 PM
what are the visitations like ?? my fiance just got sent there from coastal state and we have a newborn baby if i go visit will she be able to go see him or no ??

kae
09-17-2008, 11:20 AM
welcome to the ga forum marbear00012. i've been visiting calhoun since late january.

your fiance' will have to send you a significant other form and you have to mail it to ms. christain, the head counselor. to find out if you can bring your baby, call ms. christian, as i'm not sure what the procedure is to bring kids.

visitation is sat & sun & state holidays from 9-3. bring quarters for the vending machines. you kiss and embrace at the beginning and end of the visit. they strictly enforce the no touching rule during the day.

the only problem i've had has been with my outfits, i've had to change most times i've come there. i always have an alternate outfit in my car. personally, i think they are extra critical when i visit, but i can't do anything about it. i travel too far to act up so i bite my tongue cuz i can't afford to get banned.

the last visit i had on a dress that was below my knees and they wouldn't let me in, but they let an older, "big" woman with a jean skirt well above her knees in the same day. i told one of the officers that if i were over 200lbs with no neck they wouldn't give a crap about what i was wearing. he didn't see anything wrong with my dresses on both days, but had to follow orders. the sergeant that gave me the hard time that weekend made a smart comment to my husband when i went to the restroom.

Kat
09-17-2008, 12:42 PM
marbear the best thing to do as far as what you wear,dress like you are going to go see your grandmother lol...once they call you on what you are wearing they seem to pick on you after that..good luck

libra112
01-15-2009, 04:08 AM
Has there been any news @ Calhoun about anything lately:)? Any newcomers as they say? Anyone been blessed with early release:D,anything?

calhounsp
01-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi, this is Rose in Atlanta, Ga. I have a friend thats been in Calhoun since it open, he can't get the soc. workers, chaplain, etc to get him any info, its just crazy there. they seem to just move the inmates from one prison to another.....

chuieycuzca22
02-01-2009, 04:35 PM
My husband just got transferred to Calhoun from ASMP. It sucks because I come from VA so my trip is now MUCH longer but I guess you do what you gotta right?

Well anyway, my husband has heard rumors (and we all know how those go) that people who get transferred here tend to get released from here (meaning if they transferred from another prison to Calhoun that means they are almost done). now he doesn't have his hopes up by any means but has anyone had any experience or heard anything about this place?

also, the dress code, do they have issues with tighter jeans? i tend to wear those skinny leg jeans that look tighter. i just want to know if i should go back to my wide leg skater pants (:p) to go see my husband. for a 14 - 15 hour drive, i don't want to be turned away.

thanks! =)

moma k
02-01-2009, 07:02 PM
chui,,I was there today,,nothing but a hard time,,and no,,I dont think the release thing has a thing to do with it,,my son was sent there this week and he still has ten years to go,,sorry to dampen your spirits,,but my prayers are withyou all the way,,god luck to ya,,mk

chuieycuzca22
02-01-2009, 07:10 PM
yeah i had a feeling about that. visiting augusta SMP wasn't that bad. the only thing i didn't like was i couldn't take chapstick (i am addict you see) but other than that, they were pretty cool. depending on the guards on duty too, they usually allowed us to touch occasionally (nothing major). I just want to get an idea of this place now.

moma k
02-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I dont like that place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kae
02-06-2009, 12:52 AM
chuieycuzca22,

i've had to change my clothes a few times at calhoun. twice because i had on a dress, both came past my knees, but the sgt was hating on me. the same day, he let on older overweight woman in with a jean skirt and which was way shorter than my dresses. i also had a problem with a shirt because of the sleeves. another time a guard mentioned something about the cut of my shirt, but he was so quick to hate he didn't notice i had on a tank top which close to my skin complexion. when i pointed it out he was like oh.

you shouldn't have problems with skinny jeans, but you never know so have a back up in your car. i hate the guards there but try not to act up cuz i travel too far and don't want to get banned.

one more thing, the haters, i mean guards, at calhoun are not gonna let you touch occasionally. they are not that cool.

chuieycuzca22
02-06-2009, 08:19 AM
wow that is crazy! yeah i figure to bring backups. thanks for the info though i truly appreciate it. i got used to ASMP and the guards there were pretty cool overall. i guess back to reality..

libra112
02-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Wow,I've beem goimg to Calhoum for over 3yrs now & I've only had 1 incident with clothing. I do however think the mailing & food situation sucks.

moma k
02-07-2009, 09:35 PM
the sgt on duty that day tried every way he could to get me to leave,,but I meant I wasnt going ANY WHERE till I went as high up as I could go,,the counclers had already told me I was clear,,as long as I was on the previous list,,which I was!his ass was just to lazy to have to walk back to that office and chk the computer,,which by then was 12'45,,and then they wouldnt call my son out till 1,30,,all the while they kept saying he was comming ,,,,he came out at 1;30,,and he said that he was just called,,,he will be moved in the next week or so and when he is Im going to file a complaint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victimsdaughter
02-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I am glad Calhoun State is a bad place. It's not supposed to be a hotel. I'm glad the person who murdered my father is there.

moma k
02-12-2009, 11:41 PM
welcome to pto! if you need to talk,we are here for you,,and Im so sorry about your father,,really I am,,so sorry,,

chuieycuzca22
02-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I am terribly sorry about your father I really am and yes I do believe that prisons should be tough however you need to understand that not everyone there is there because they are bad people. My husband never got in trouble in his life. He doesn't even curse for goodness sake. My husband was involved in a car accident, no alcohol or anything involved. Just wrong place wrong time and someone passed in the accident. Because of Georgia's laws, he was found guilty of homicide by vehicle which carried a minimum sentence of 5 years. He was speeding but that doesn't warrant (in my opinion) for him to be treated like an animal. We all have been guilty of speeding at one point in time. There are really bad people in jail that need to be punished but there are also people there that just were in the wrong place at the wrong time. They don't differentiate in jail which makes it tough. you are a number there. I don't think all inmates deserve to be treated like they don't matter. My husband, and I am sure many like him, did not intend to do anything wrong. He takes the blame for his actions but he is not a stone killer or an animal. We are concerned about our loved ones in this prison because they are people. I feel for you and your loss trust me I do but if you had a loved one that was in our position, you would see our side.

I hope you do not take offense just want to show you our side.

God bless.

Victimsdaughter
02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
I know there are bound to be people in this prison that shouldn't be there. I have no answers for that...it's wrong. The person who murdered my father..walked in and shot him 3 times while my father was sitting in his wheelchair. This particular person does belong in a terrible awful place. Before this offense, he too was driving a car which crashed and he killed the passenger - he was never even brought up on charges. So he has killed two people.

I'm sorry that you are having to endure knowing your husband who is a good man has to live w/ animals like the person I'm referring to. I don't have any answers. But I'm sure glad this particular person is there because there is no doubt he deserves to be there.

My prayers are with you and your family.

chuieycuzca22
02-16-2009, 10:26 AM
My prayers are with your family too mama. I do believe though that even though it doesn't seem fair what happens in this world, that God has a master plan and judgement does come for those who need it. I also believe that those who have suffered will gain their riches in heaven. It took me a LONG time to believe but I see now that we go through things sometimes as a testimony for others who will be going through something similar. We stand as a ray of hope for them you know? I know it doesn't bring your father back and I wish it could but know that God believes in you and believes that you are going to help others with your story. Keep strong and believe that your father is with the angels and that you have a purpose to advocate for others.

Anytime you need to talk, you got us here on this website. =)

God Bless you always

kae
02-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Victimsdaughter,
welcome to pto and ga forum. while i sympathize with you and offer my sincerest regrets, i hope you do recognize that inmates are people and not "animals" as you called the person who killed your dad. they are fathers, mothers, sons, brothers, daughters, etc. who have family and are loved. not all are violent or have committed crimes against others.

i question why you would join a forum created by and for loved ones of inmates. you may be better served in a community forum for victims/survivors. i wish you well in your healing.

Victimsdaughter
02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
The one I was referring to as an "animal" is the one who killed my 70 year old father. Only him.

I shouldn't have made it a blanket description. I don't know anyone else at this facility and I am no one's judge. Except this one person. My apologies.

The reason I'm here is purely the providence of God. Found it by googling the prison after I found out this person had been transferred. I feel I was led here for a reason. Maybe to hear the other side of what I feel. I don't know...

pepe3
02-21-2009, 04:48 PM
The one I was referring to as an "animal" is the one who killed my 70 year old father. Only him.

I shouldn't have made it a blanket description. I don't know anyone else at this facility and I am no one's judge. Except this one person. My apologies.

The reason I'm here is purely the providence of God. Found it by googling the prison after I found out this person had been transferred. I feel I was led here for a reason. Maybe to hear the other side of what I feel. I don't know...

I accept ur apology. Your are just dealing with alot of hurt right now. May God help you find peace.

My brother was recently sent to jackson diagnostic. It is tearing me apart. I hear so many stories and they can be scary. I dont know when I will hear from him. I had dropped off some money for him before he was taken away. I hope this will keep him until i hear from him. He too is not a bad person. He loves people but this time he was naive and it got the better of him. Anyone that has family in jackon, please give me a shout out. Thank all of u guys.

Esther922
04-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone, I have a penpal who has recently been moved to Calhoun and I was wondering if anyone knew the correct address to get mail to inmates? I'd really appreciate it.

kae
04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
hello esther922.

welcome to pto and the ga forum. i sent you a private message.

Hi everyone, I have a penpal who has recently been moved to Calhoun and I was wondering if anyone knew the correct address to get mail to inmates? I'd really appreciate it.

Dallard
06-26-2009, 04:35 AM
My husband was just transferred to Calhoun today. I am finally got to talk to him. He was at Jackson for a month in a half while he was doing his diagnostics. While he was in Jackson he was in H house or the "hole" as they call it. He needs to be segregated for his protection, he is ex-law enforcement. He didn't have contact with anyone and it was terribly hot all the time without any air movement. They brought in the big fan but it never worked and then they left it there for everyone to look at and drool over. He only got food twice a day and showers every other day except on the weekends, then they didn't get to shower. The mail there was horrible, he didn't get half of the mail that was sent to him. Makes me wonder what happened to it. The guards were not all that nice either, but most aren't. He got moved today to Calhoun and he said that he is in the area that houses men 35 and over. He has air conditioning and showers and ice and soda and TV and he can walk around and talk to people. He is a social kind of guy and being where he was started to really get to him. I was starting to worry that he might loose it and that would not be good. But, here he has people that he can talk to and his bunk mate is nice to him (so far). I am worried about him being in with everyone else. But, he doesn't want to get moved until he gets out. It has only been one day, but being able to talk to him again was the most important thing in the world to us today. YEAH US!!! :D

So what I would like to know from anyone here is;
How do you set up a phone account. I think they use Global Tel Link. But I can't get it to work. I would rather do it that way than him get a calling card thing. HELP!!!
What can I send him in the mail? Jackson was very strict on what he could have and how much mail he could get. I just hope this place isn't the same.

And any other information anyone is willing to share will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!:)

chuieycuzca22
06-26-2009, 07:56 AM
hello!

I'm sending you a PM. :)

kae
06-26-2009, 08:01 PM
hi Dallard,

welcome to the ga forum. your husband has to add all telephone numbers to his list and submit them. once added he has to attempt to call you before GTL will set up an account with you. you have to call them at 1-800-231-0193 to set it up.

If he is calling your cell, you have to fax the first page of your bill with your name, address and number. GTL fax number is 1-866-262-9123. Once the fax is received and the billing name and address are verified, an account may be created by calling the 800 # used to set up home phones. The cell phone area code has to match the address or GTL will reject it.

my husband has been at calhoun for 18 months so feel free to p/m if you have specific questions.

kae

MomNpain4son
08-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I am glad Calhoun State is a bad place. It's not supposed to be a hotel. I'm glad the person who murdered my father is there.

It sounds like you need a victims support forum.

Remember we have innocent family members here, just like you.

LilCraig
11-16-2009, 12:05 PM
I am new here. I live in Albany Ga and just visited Calhoun Sp for the 1st time. It was a very positve experience. All of the CO's were very nice to me but I've heard some can be mean sometimes. They are humans too and have thier good and bad days. I think that a lot of how they act depends on how I act and especially react when they say stuff or tell me things to do or not do. All I know is I will do anything I need to do so I can visit my brother as often as I can. God bless all of you.

chuieycuzca22
11-16-2009, 01:31 PM
i've had both positive and negative experiences with Calhoun. I wore the same shirt (just different color) 2 days in a row and one day i was allowed in, the next i wasn't. now although that irked me, what really irked me was the way the officer talked to me. he treated me like trash which gave me a view of how they treat the inmates.

my husband says they put a very nice face on during visitation. he said once the family is gone, its a whole different ballgame. now of course there are exceptions to every rule and there is a guard there that has always been super helpful and nice to both me and my husband.

i can't begin to understand how their job is in there but i do think some of them could use some sensitivity training. we should be working on rehabilitation in prison but some of these guards just do not have enough compassion for that. I would LOVE to see a prison that really works hard on stopping the behavior instead of just containing the behavior.

anyway enough of my rant, welcome to PTO and any assistance or advice you need, please feel free to ask!

God bless you.

moma k
11-16-2009, 11:51 PM
my son has been at calhoun before,,and I really cant think of one nice thing to say about the place,,but you have the right attitude,,so hang in there and visit as often as you can,,you sound like good family,,let myself or chuiey know if you need any info,,good luck to you both,,mk

bigdaddymack
11-28-2009, 05:03 PM
thank you "strongernow" but your link did not work :(
i would imagine that "close" is a security level. is it the max? and why would it be so?
thanks
Close is a security classification, and Calhoun is now medium/minimum. Its is not the max.

bigdaddymack
11-28-2009, 05:06 PM
If you have questions about Calhoun SP I will give the best answer I have.

lonelygirl10
02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
hello everyone
i have a question??? does any one know how long it takes to get approved for visitation and who i can call to find out.... or do i have to wait for the inmate to let me know??? if anyone could please answer me i highly appreciate it thx

kae
02-24-2010, 06:42 PM
hey lonelygirl10,

it will depend on your man's counselor and how long it takes for him to send you the significant form once he gets it from the counseling department. you have about 30 days to return it.

since i had been previously approved when he was at autry, calhoun gave me a 30 day grace period where i could visit without them having it. also since i was already on his list, hubby did not have to wait until the month he allowed to make changes to his lists. (fyi- they are allowed 2x a year/every 6 months to update lists) he got the form within a week of getting there. a week after i returned it to the chief counselor, i called her to verify she received it and if i was approved. i was.

when dealing with administration at csp, make sure you always follow up and stay on top of things or nothing will get done.

LilCraig
04-16-2010, 02:41 AM
I am going to Calhoun State today, tomorrow and Sunday. I am on the Kairos Inside team and we are having Kairos #13. God is good.

Joy4you
10-21-2010, 06:06 PM
I was just released from this facility in May. Some of the information you all are reading is not true. Calhoun is a medium security prison, and they have three bunks in a majority of there cells. The security level only determines who is located at the facility, and the certain crimes they put in this category.

sam21
10-29-2010, 09:02 AM
I was just released from this facility in May. Some of the information you all are reading is not true. Calhoun is a medium security prison, and they have three bunks in a majority of there cells. The security level only determines who is located at the facility, and the certain crimes they put in this category.

Thank you for your post to this forum to give us real life experience regarding what CSP is about. Can you tell us if the inmates are treated badly? Why the CO's give visitors a hard time? What is the best attire to wear when visiting an inmate?

I really appreciate it. Thank you!

sam21
10-29-2010, 09:10 AM
I have a friend that is an inmate in CSP, do I need to complete a form to visit him? I'm not his significant other. Also, I'm a Muslim and I cover my hair will the guards not allow me in since I cover my hair?

Thank you!

fruitmom
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
My son was transferred to CPS from Jackson this morning, any information about this facility is helpful...please tell me about the environment, population, visitations, mail, food, major incidents and security level, this is my son's first offense, he never been incarcernated before, he's 29 years old and had a kidney transplant in May 2010, and also how's the medical facility there? Please reply ASAP!!!

kae
01-06-2011, 03:12 PM
hey fruitmom,

welcome to the ga forum. I sent you PM about CSP. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kae

tinkerbellbee18
01-15-2011, 08:46 AM
what is the exact address to this prison? my gps cant find it. and also what are some good priced hotels?

kae
01-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi Tinkerbellebee18,

Welcome to the GA forum. There are hotels in Albany but Sleep Inn on Dawson Road is my personal choice. Its always clean and safe and the staff is friendly. If you stay at the Sleep Inn make your reservation in advance. Its popular for traveling sports teams and family reunions. Albany has restaurants and things to do. Don't stay in Econolodge in Dawson its not that clean :eek: also there's nothing in Dawson. The Knights Inn in Albany is a dump and is very skeezy. :eek: :eek: Shady looking people stay there and its filthy. I wouldn't be surprised if they had bedbugs and other nasty things......

The prison's address won't GPS. You can use the post office address since its less than a mile away 11017 Dickey Street, Morgan, GA.

snookems423
01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
OK IM NEW ON HERE BUT IM TRYNNA FIND OUT ALL I KAN ABOUT CALHOUN STATE PRISON.
I DK HOW 2 DO THE IMS SO NEBODY THAT HAS NE INFO AND OR KAN HELP ME ID GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.:confused:

RaRE Love
03-14-2012, 11:25 PM
This is my first time on this forum. My loved one was recently transferred to Calhoun SP. I am looking forward to visiting him soon. With every new facility, anxiety kicks in. I have been reading the comments. I hope I will have a great visit without chaos... Thanks to y'all for the info. Wish me Luck :-)

RaRE Love
03-25-2012, 07:50 PM
I went to Calhoun to see my baby. Why is it that I got lost coming home. I mean lost, going around in circles. But I finally got home five hours later. It was all worth it though! I love him and he loves me. The guards did not bother me attire. Thank you Jesus.

DrummerDave
04-05-2012, 02:22 PM
As a former inmate there (I was released in Dec 2010) I will try to answer any questions you have about Calhoun State Prison.

MUSTANGLUCEE
05-19-2012, 10:15 AM
My son is in Wilcox State Prison, no forum on here for that institution. Could you tell me after you receive your PED, how long till you get released? He is fixing to take his last re-entry class, has had no DR's. A parole officer told me 3 weeks, is this correct and is it 5 business day weeks or 7 day weeks. You answer is very important to me.

RaRE Love
06-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I had a great weekend with my man at CSP. I love him to pieces...

rolltide14
09-12-2012, 04:30 PM
I have someone in Calhoun. IM me and Ill share with you what I know.
my son was just transferred to that prison what is it like