View Full Version : Need Info on Varner Unit in Grady, AR

Mizla
08-04-2004, 09:39 PM
The father of my child was transferred from boot camp in Pine Bluff to Varner Unit a week ago and i have not heard from him since. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the Varner Unit prison and their system. I am very concern for my love one in there and I need to know how I can send him mail, when he's able to call, etc. If anyone knows of anything about the prison's rules and it's condition please let me know. I am very concerned.

Thank you.

Jade01
08-08-2004, 10:15 PM
My fiance is not at Varner, but I'll try to help you as much as I can. You send mail to:
HIS NAME and ADC#
P.O. Box 600
Grady, AR 71644

And he'll have to put you on his calling list before you can receive calls and if you plan on visiting him, you'll have to be put on a visiting list too.
You really should go to the Arkansas Department of Corrections website www.state.ar.us/doc, and it can give you lots of information. You can even do an inmate search and find out his ADC# if you do not already have it.

beforeandafter
08-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Let me know what you want to know I used to work there.

scanner22
01-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi:
I have a son doing life plus at Varner Super Max. Address is:

Name of Inmate
ADC #_ _ _ _ _
Varner Super Max
PO Box 400
Grady, ARK 71644-0400

At least, that is my sons address. May be some other one I am
not aware of. Again, he is in Super Max Unit.

Your loved one will have to submit your phone number for approval
and believe me, that takes time. Be patient and your loved one will
be in touch and let you know what you need to do.

Hope this helps you.

scanner22

crisnclay
01-06-2005, 06:16 AM
When my husband first went to Varner it took forever for him to send me a letter and even longer to call. I was already on his approved list for calling but for some reason they had to go through their own little deal. The PO box 600 address is the address you use if he is not in the Super Max.

Blueyescrying
10-16-2006, 09:49 PM
my husband just got sent to Varner today...i am really scared for him...I to would like any info you can give!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!

mattsmom1982
10-17-2006, 06:16 AM
I have a son at varner Unit,it's not the super max though.
I have had really good luck with visits and the guards don't stand over the top of people. I see gf and bf kissing and holding hands. They have a concession stand also vending machines. all and all I have been real pleased and feel my son is as safe as can be at varner compared to what I have heard about other units. Mattsmom1982

SamuelsWife
10-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Varner was the first unit my husband was sent to when he entered the system 3 years ago. He wasn't there too long but I'll tell you what I know from when he was there. Once you get approved on his visitation list and you're ready to go visit, be sure to leave early. There is a car line that forms early, seems like I remember getting there around 8 or 9 am. They are fairlly strict on getting inside, if I remember correctly, you have to take your shoes off before entering. You will be given a number once you sign and you have to sit at the table corresponding to the number you are given. There is a nice concession area and the visitation guards are pretty relaxed. As far as the unit, it's one of the parent units so there are alot of people there that have just entered prison. Varner houses alot of young men, meaning there are usually alot of fights because they are just arriving and trying to establish their rep. Just tell him to be careful. The unit isn't too bad. My husband has been to almost every unit so if you need any other info just let me know. Hope that is helpful. Stay strong.:)

Pettyslilgirl87
09-05-2007, 10:22 PM
My fiance was sent to Varner Unit and I was wondering if anyone can explain the phone system to me there?

ittybittykitty
09-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Well I can not be sure but I assume it is like all other ADC units....they have to have your number approved by their Warden's office.Then you will have to deal with GTL for the phonebills and stuff.There are several places on here where people have posted about the Phone Company so take a little time to review those old posts they are very helpful. Oh by the way Welcome to Arkanasas PTO.Kitty

EngleR
03-13-2008, 12:11 PM
My boyfriend just got tranferred to the Varner Unit yesterday. i am confused on why they took him there in the first place?? and now that he is there they made his release date even longer? if anybody knows why could you please fill me in? also, i heard that there is like a calling card or something that you can get, so your loved one can call you on your cell phone. anybody know anything about that?? please fill me in, im pretty new at this stiff!!

nickslove2
03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Welcome to PTO!!! They usually transfer the inmate to the first available space they have open. I'm not sure why his time went up. I'm sure someone who knows will help you soon.

mz.tjenkins
03-14-2008, 07:00 PM
he must have got kicked out if boot camp to go somewhere else?

haydon_2009
02-11-2010, 12:19 PM
my fiance is in the varner unit can u tell me a lil bout it

missmyman07
02-12-2010, 03:35 AM
The father of my child was transferred from boot camp in Pine Bluff to Varner Unit a week ago and i have not heard from him since. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the Varner Unit prison and their system. I am very concern for my love one in there and I need to know how I can send him mail, when he's able to call, etc. If anyone knows of anything about the prison's rules and it's condition please let me know. I am very concerned.

Thank you.

My husband is at varner. he was able to call maybe by third day being there. yu can send mail to po box 600 grady ar 71644. go ahead and fill out visitation form so that can be in process. they pretty fast about giving you response. yesterday they went in to drug test the barrks and my husband could not urinate at that time. they put him down as a refusal which is same as negative urine. he tried to talk to captain on that shift and got a disciplnary write up cause they told him to quit trying to talk to captain. so as far as rules they pretty much have the upper hand and do what they want it seems likke. good luck to you. what his name and i can ask my hubby if he has heard anything about him if you would like?

missmyman07
02-12-2010, 03:39 AM

coud you please help me out??? my hubby at varner. he is 12 days out from parole hearing. couple days ago they went in to test barricks and he could not urinate that time of morning. they gave him a refusal which same as negative. throughout morning he was trying to talk to captain in charge and the lady at window of his barricks told him if he continued to try to talk to the captin he was going to get a disciplinary notice which he did get cause he wouldn't let up trying to talk to her cause he was not dirty. this not going to look good to parole board and he has told me it probably means automatic year denial. what can we do. he is not dirty and this just doesn't seem fair. please help.

Cowboy'sWife
03-06-2010, 04:03 PM
coud you please help me out??? my hubby at varner. he is 12 days out from parole hearing. couple days ago they went in to test barricks and he could not urinate that time of morning. they gave him a refusal which same as negative. throughout morning he was trying to talk to captain in charge and the lady at window of his barricks told him if he continued to try to talk to the captin he was going to get a disciplinary notice which he did get cause he wouldn't let up trying to talk to her cause he was not dirty. this not going to look good to parole board and he has told me it probably means automatic year denial. what can we do. he is not dirty and this just doesn't seem fair. please help.

hate to say it but as far as i know, there's not much you can do. my husband had a similar situation at Varner where the guard on his barracks wrote him up for not having a shirt on even though he had one on. he had his disciplinary hearing and he asked them to review the video footage from when/where the supposed event took place but they told them they absolutely were not going to look at it. he got his class 1 busted to a 3, lost all his good time and got almost a year added back to his time for that disciplinary. me and him did all we could- he put in an appeal, it was lost in the system, he put in another appeal, the warden denied it. i made phone call after phone call. and all we wanted was for someone to review the video but NO ONE was willing to look it over.

after he goes up for his disc hearing, if they bust him for it, he'll have the chance to appeal. that's really the only option left.

Devin_k
05-25-2010, 09:32 AM
[quote=Mizla;690530]The father of my child was transferred from boot camp in Pine Bluff to Varner Unit a week ago and i have not heard from him since. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the Varner Unit prison and their system. I am very concern for my love one in there and I need to know how I can send him mail, when he's able to call, etc. If anyone knows of anything about the prison's rules and it's condition please let me know. I am very concerned.

Thank you.[/quote[

okay heres the address to write them

inmates name and ADC number
P.O. Box 600
Grady, Ar

They are allowed to call whenever, and the first couple of day they get there they go through an orientation that might be why he hasnt called or anything yet. My husband has been in Varner for about 3 months now

beforeandafter
07-13-2010, 08:07 PM
As you have probley already found out there is nothing that you can do. As bad as it sounds that is the system and thats the way it works. They assuame that becasue he coun't he was saying he's dirty. I don't like it and the guys don't either, but that's how it works.

punkybunge
01-15-2011, 09:37 PM
My fiance was sent to Varner Unit and I was wondering if anyone can explain the phone system to me there?

My husband is in Varner, and the phone system is through Globeltel Link
Either they can callyou collect and it will go to your phone bill(which is the best and cheapest way) or you can have it pre paid You can add either $25. or $50. at a time. Globeltel phone number is 1-877-650-4249
You can call them and get it set up. :)

hotchic_2005
01-15-2011, 09:40 PM
You can also go to the ADC website and put money on his prepaid account. This is easier and cheaper than dealing with Global Telelink!! They are so rude and don't always apply your money correctly.

Brandiks74
08-23-2011, 06:01 AM
My son has just been transferred to the Varner Unit from the Diagnostic Unit. I'm not even sure what section he's in, since he only got transferred there yesterday. I am REALLY worried about him as he has alot of mental problems. He acts like a tough guy, but really, he wouldn't hurt a fly. He tends to just follow the leader and it freaks me out what might happen to him in there. Can anyone tell me about the Unit?

bobbyjoe49
01-13-2012, 11:15 AM
i am trying to find inmate his name is Eric Vires #510177 i got the christmas card back from prison he was in varner supermax i have not heard from him since and i was so busy as a civil war reenactor in meetings i even sended him a money order to his account i dont remember his aunts name from a organization for inmate friends so i wonder if he got released or transferred to another prison or what happen to him, we became friends through letters and he was a good friend to talk to how do i find out if he got released or transferred or if someone can let me know many many thanks

bluedevil 2
01-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Have you tried going on ADC website and search inmate. If that don't work try vinelink. Best of luck!!!

bluedevil 2
01-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Bobby Joe I looked him up. He is no longer in ADC. He is out or been transfer to another facility that is not in Arkansas. (sorry)

tim105
03-10-2012, 04:06 AM
my son left diagnostic to varner he was told he was going to boot camp, do they go to a parent before they go to boot camo? thank's anyone.

lizzybell1979
03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Yes, they go to the parent unit and wait until they have a bed. It could be 1 day it could ne 2 months. A new flight begins every 105 days. I graduated last May and it is an awesome program. They break you down and build you back up but it is tough. Similar to army with air force standards. Any other questions pm and I will be more than happy to help.

tim105
03-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks Lizzy, I hope he gets to go soon at court they told him he would be home in 120 days