View Full Version : Employers that Hire Ex-Cons in Florida

sweetpea
09-02-2004, 10:23 PM
I got this list from my husband and wanted to share it with you guys. Please feel free to add any other companies. If you are aware that a hiring status' has changed with any that I have listed, please PM me and I will update my list. Thanks!

Marriott Hotels - Pathways Program
PO Box 56623
Atlanta, GA 30343

AT&T
Florida Power
HRS
Hyatt Hotels
Peabody Hotels
Publix
Sea World
Rollins College
Sheraton Resorts
Southern Bell
Southland Corporation
Stouffer Resorts
Sun Trust
United Parcel Service (UPS)
Universal Studios
University of Central Florida
Disney & Disney Village

For immediate help, contact the local state employment service, i.e. your one-stop career center.

Federal Bonding Program
1725 Desales Street, NW
Suite 900
Washington D.C. 20036
(202) 293-5566
(800) 233-2258

rd962
09-16-2004, 04:56 PM
I heard about this on the radio, this an employment program for ex-offenders in the Orlando area: www.myopportunityonline.com (http://www.myopportunityonline.com) :thumbsup:

sweetpea
09-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Thats awesome rd962 - I checked it out and it looks very promising and it looks like they truly want to help. I'm sure there are alot of inmates going back home to Orange and Seminole County, this will help out alot. Thanks for sharing!!

vicky427
09-17-2004, 03:42 PM
My family brought 2 Townhouses down in the Kissimmee Area and we are thinking of moving down to FL in the near future so tks for this info -- helps a great deal! :)

elizabeth 1
09-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Do they hire according to the crime committed?

Elizabeth 1

robbospooh
10-29-2004, 01:16 PM
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR. IF I WOULD HAVE KNOW THIS THREAD WAS RIGHT HERE---- JEEZ I COULD HAVE SAVED MYSELF MANY TEARS AND GRAY HAIR :thumbsup:

sweetpea
11-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Aw, you are welcome! Please, post positive OR negative about this list, since it was given to him from DOC I dont know if it is 100% reliable - tho it is a good place to start!! :D

Ravenslove
11-04-2004, 05:57 PM
this is a great list. thank you!

rd962
11-04-2004, 10:44 PM
This information was emailed to me from Wayne Gladd w/Project ReConnect for Orange & Seminole Counties. Here is his email address if anyone need info for there county:Gladd.Wayne@mail.dc.state.fl.us.

sweetpea
11-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks for posting rd962, there is alot of information there and I am sure it will help out others!! Do you know if they have a department in South Florida?? {Fingers crossed, LOL}

rd962
11-08-2004, 07:15 PM
I don't think he is just for Orange & Seminole Co, that is the area I ask for. Send him an email and tell him what county you are looking for. :dance:

dallaswife2b
12-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Sweet pea you are a sweet pea and are always very informative. Me myself have also been to prison and this list is perfect because i plan on moving to GA

RedneckAngel
07-08-2005, 04:48 PM
This info is good. My fiance is getting out soon and I need to know someplaces he can get job with no problem cause of being a ex con. Thanks!!

warrior
09-17-2005, 04:42 PM
thank you so much for that info my son is a commerical plumber i am praying he will again be able to find a good paying job

libra929
09-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks Sweatpea for the information. I will now be able to tell my man that there is a future for him when he gets out. This will take a load off of his shoulders as he has been so worried about employment.

hurtzlot
09-27-2005, 02:55 AM
Do you know if this program is still going? I tried the website and it no longer exists.

please PM me if you want - Personal email address removed, please see PTO rules/policies

Debbie

I heard about this on the radio, this an employment program for ex-offenders in the Orlando area: www.myopportunityonline.com (http://www.myopportunityonline.com) :thumbsup:

principles1st
03-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi, to all who read this message.

I am an ex-offender from New York.
I have been out of the system since 2001.
I have 3 years and better of college credits
I have owned my own music business before and had
reasonable success at doing it.
My primary fields of employment have been either
Retail or Financial in which is usually denied after
a criminal history search..
I can apply to most jobs but by history prohibits it.
Is there any solution to this.
I am looking in the Miami Area.
Can anyone be of any assistance?
I would be appreciative.

LeesFree
03-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I know this may not sound like much but it may be a start. It seems (from the 1st post) that a lot of the hospitality industry hires. You may want to try to get a relief night auditor's position and work your way up from there. Like I said ... it isn't much but it may just get your foot in the door ... and there are a LOT of hotels in Miami :D

Good Luck,
Lee

(Doing) Time
03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
I got this list from my husband and wanted to share it with you guys. Please feel free to add any other companies. If you are aware that a hiring status' has changed with any that I have listed, please PM me and I will update my list. Thanks!

PO Box 56623
Atlanta, GA 30343

AT&T
Florida Power
HRS
Hyatt Hotels
Peabody Hotels
Publix
Sea World
Rollins College
Sheraton Resorts
Southern Bell
Southland Corporation
Stouffer Resorts
Sun Trust
Universal Studios
Disney & Disney Village

For immediate help, contact the local state employment service, i.e. your one-stop career center.

Federal Bonding Program
1725 Desales Street, NW
Suite 900
Washington D.C. 20036
(202) 293-5566
(800) 233-2258

I realize that this was originally posted on 9-3-2004 so let me just say that as far as Southern Bell (now BellSouth) goes, they DO criminal background checks and the likelihood that this company would employ an ex-felon probably won't happen. :( I was employed by BellSouth for a number of years and they did everything in their power to try to fire those without criminal records!! In my initial interview, one of the questions asked of me was if I ever had a speeding ticket!! They have their own internal security personnel and they check everything out!!

Here's a place in Miami that I was involved with that may be able to assist those looking for help or re-entry back into LIFE!! :)

Transition, Inc
390 Northwest 2nd St.
Miami, FL 33128
305-374-1987
This organization is designed to assist ex-offenders in job training and job opportunities.

(Doing) Time :cuffs:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/smileys1712/Love/lovinginmate.gif

mrsnicolodi
03-19-2006, 06:42 PM
alot or most warehouses do also. walmart wouldnt hire my husband bc he had felonies. and thats just my store but ive been told rooms to go and publix will hire

JamesGirl
03-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Publix is good about hiring those with criminal histories. My brother has worked for Publix Warehouse on and off for 20 yrs(no he does not have a criminal history) and I hear complaints from him every once in a while that he is working with someone that has been in for murder , a sex offense, or etc. But it deals with them. And yes, Publix does do a criminal backgroungd check. Yvonne

Testament
04-15-2006, 06:25 PM
im worried about getting a job after getting out too ..... do they just say that on paper, or do they actually hire ex cons? i mean ..... all places say that they wont count you out for being an ex con ....... but most do. are these companies legit?

Ferg3rd2002
04-27-2006, 01:38 AM
U.S.Foodservice

Ferg3rd2002
04-28-2006, 04:06 AM
U.S. Foodservice, All Divisions. Be truthfull in the application or they will deny you.

DylanR
07-21-2006, 09:35 AM
I can Vouch for Sun Trust In Florida, I was a loan Officer for them for 2 years.

Shawns Mom
11-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Universal Studios hires ex-cons also but you have to be totally honest on your application.

And does anyone have any info for the North Florida area JAcksonville and surrounding areas my son will be out in Febuary and turning 18years old.I know its going to be hard for him to find work,because of his age and felonys and he hasnt finished school either.

ReEntryStaffing
11-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Hello, Everyone

If someone is having problems with job placement in Jacksonville, Florida areas. Call us. We are currrently working with Job placements at The Brigdes of Jacksonville WRC and the Dinmore WRC.

We have Warehousing and Customer Service postions currently open.

Community ReEntry Staffing, Inc
904 859-1778

Lesliezack
11-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Hello, Everyone

If someone is having problems with job placement in Jacksonville, Florida areas. Call us. We are currrently working with Job placements at The Brigdes of Jacksonville WRC and the Dinmore WRC.

We have Warehousing and Customer Service postions currently open.

Community ReEntry Staffing, Inc
904 859-1778

KUDOS TO :) YOU!!!!

vicky427
11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey Everyone:

Me and Hubby relocated from NJ to Kissimmee and it took hubby 3 months to land a job b/c of his criminal background. He has been straight since he got out in 2004 and going strong. :D I was here looking to get more info on job availability in our area? Any suggestions? He has been w/this current job for 3 mths but the pay is just awful ... so any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Proud Wifey ... Vicky :)

janaroux727
11-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Just found out that UPS does not hire felons.

KevinQ
02-04-2008, 09:09 AM
:new: You seemed very informative... wondering if you could help with a few inquiries i have please

Can I file taxes for years incarcerated??
Is their a website to help get help with food, money, ect...

write back...Thank You:o

Don Quixote
02-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Yes you should file taxes for the years you have not. There is a time limit though, so get cracking.

In rare cases a single male may qualify for cash assistance from Dept. of Children and Families for a short period of time --- won't be much or long.

Most communities have homeless shelters. Some of them assist people to get back on their feet.

Jakes Baby
09-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Publix does hire ex-cons, my brother is a manager of a publix in south florida also lowes, home depot, most restaurants and most construction companies hire! ive been looking around to get my boyfriend a job and ive asked around, it seems like more and more places are accepting ex-cons seeing as more and more people are being convicted

kitata
12-08-2008, 04:51 PM
This is very goo information, thank you. I think we may just start our own business and this way I know he will have a job, obviously my name will be the main one listed.

JADIN08
12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
ok so I know your in FL but is there a list like that for different states as well?

annat
03-25-2009, 02:08 PM
My loved one will be getting out of prison in a few months, and he will be residing in Polk county. I'm wondering if anybody on here knows of any places in the Lakeland area that hire convicted felons (?). He's 35 and has been in prison for 15 years, so he went in when he was pretty young. He doesn't have any particular trades, but he's a very quick learner and is a hard worker.

Does anybody know of any businesses or places that hire convicted felons?

Thanks!

lilcricket91
07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Is this for any part of FL - or what parts? I'm looking into moving to FL but don't have any idea where.

PO Box 56623
Atlanta, GA 30343

AT&T
Florida Power
HRS
Hyatt Hotels
Peabody Hotels
Publix
Sea World
Rollins College
Sheraton Resorts
Southern Bell
Southland Corporation
Stouffer Resorts
Sun Trust
Universal Studios
Disney & Disney Village

Federal Bonding Program
1725 Desales Street, NW
Suite 900
Washington D.C. 20036
(202) 293-5566
(800) 233-2258

Fye4Ever
08-06-2009, 08:56 PM
My loved one will be getting out of prison in a few months, and he will be residing in Polk county. I'm wondering if anybody on here knows of any places in the Lakeland area that hire convicted felons (?). He's 35 and has been in prison for 15 years, so he went in when he was pretty young. He doesn't have any particular trades, but he's a very quick learner and is a hard worker.

Thanks!

Try Publix Warehouse

wifeofMichael
02-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Just an FYI. My husband recently got a list from EscaRosa (our local job services of Florida) and they gave him a list. Those that were listed were on there but also:

UPS
Denny's
Village Inn
Pep Boys
Wal-Mart
Pubix

and more. I'll get him to get me a list ASAP so I can share. What they need to do when going in to get hired is remind people they get a federal tax break if they hire Work Release inmates or someone within a year of their release date. I believe the tax break is $4,500. That's a nice amount to write off in my book. I know McDonald's hires as well and they are a halfway decent company to work for if you work hard. The McDonald's close to the Work Release Center my hubby is at regularly hires work release inmates. But the Wendy's right across the road from them will not, though the one further down the road will. Crazy. Kristal's will as well.

Another program ex-inmates and Work Release inmates need to look into is the non-custodial parent program. They help find jobs, purchase tools and give bus passes/gas cards as well as educational opportunities to non-custodial parents, incarcerated or not. My husband went through the program successfully many years ago several years after his release and recently went back to start the program again. He was scheduled to take the T.A.B.E test this past Friday but they were closed due to the bad weather. He's supposed to be rescheduled.

pennifer
02-26-2010, 03:05 PM
I work for Publix in the Tampa Baay area and yes they hire ex inmates.Just be honest and up front about it.They love the tax break they get

ccgma
05-30-2010, 12:54 PM
I work for Hyatt Hotels and they do NOT hire felons......they do give you lots of chances as far as rehab etc. if you already work for them but they do background checks and all when receiving applications.I only wish they did,my Grandson would love to work for them now......good luck to all felons looking for work on the state of Fl....it is a very unforgiving state.

wifeofMichael
05-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Anyone familiar with this group? http://jobforexfelons.com/

Dsingle3095
10-09-2010, 07:18 AM

Thanks!
I live in Lakeland, and I got released in June. I have been looking everywhere for a job here in town and I've had no luck :( I have several skills doing all kinds of work, and haven't found anything. This state in general has one of the highest unemployment rates in the US, especially polk county, it's bad here :(

wifeofMichael
10-09-2010, 11:46 AM
There is a Federal Bonding Program as well. I've been telling my hubby to attach the information about the tax break for hiring those within a year of release and the Federal Bonding application to his resumes and to make sure he brings it up when interviewing.

Sadly he is unemployed two months later. We live out a bit and have one car not to mention we don't have the cash to reinstate his license/add him to insurance. His PO told him this week he had to start bringing a list of five job searches every Friday until he finds a job. He's been applying online. Transportation has been an issue. And the temp companies? The ones he's gone to won't take anyone with a felony unless it's been at least ten years.

wifeofMichael
10-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Federal Bonding Program
http://bonds4jobs.com/

WOTC Program
http://www.doleta.gov/business/incentives/opptax/PDF/WOTC_Program_ARRA_Brochure.pdf

hisprettygirl10
12-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Just to update SEAWORLD does NOT hire ex-felons. They give huge breaks if ur already employed but will not hire previous offenders. However, Walt Disney World does to an extent.

djdski
01-07-2011, 09:12 PM
WifeofMichael wrote - "Another program ex-inmates and Work Release inmates need to look into is the non-custodial parent program."

Hey there WifeofMichael...Thanks for the information you shared..I was just curious about the non-custodial parent program that you mentioned...Can you share more details on your experience & how the program works?? Due to my charges, I became the non-custodial parent 3 years ago & haven't been able to get my children back yet... :( But I'm not giving up...Any information would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

vince1977
05-01-2011, 02:39 PM
This information was emailed to me from Wayne Gladd w/Project ReConnect for Orange & Seminole Counties. Here is his email address if anyone need info for there county:Gladd.Wayne@mail.dc.state.fl.us.

Hi, I tried to contact wayne gladd by the email address you listed but it was returned because the address was invalid. Do you have an updated address? Thanks

JenZ
05-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Does anyone have any ideas in Orlando. Due to his SO status he cannot work anywhere where there will be anyone under the age of 18. He is on conditional release and this is one of the conditions. Thanks!

Shaneswife68
05-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Does anyone have any ideas in Orlando. Due to his SO status he cannot work anywhere where there will be anyone under the age of 18. He is on conditional release and this is one of the conditions. Thanks!

Depending on charges, most telemarketing places hire felons...They just don't want fraud charges, etc. Not the best job but it could be a start until he can find something he likes. Good luck! :)

ramon.torrez78
10-13-2011, 09:24 AM
this is great, thank you so much. if this thread keeps updated, our loved ones will experience a little easier to find jobs. although my brother is haveing a long sentence i always find information for friends. i actually never thought about it but now that my brother is in i am having a lot more questions than i did before as well as more interest in all that sorround me.

Amy32824
02-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know if the hard rock cafe hire felons? They didn't have the question on the application but I have a 2nd interview on Monday and this is the dream job so I am really worried!!

AGAPE LOVE
12-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know if the hard rock cafe hire felons? They didn't have the question on the application but I have a 2nd interview on Monday and this is the dream job so I am really worried!!

Hello....Did you get the job?!! :)

spin721
01-04-2013, 12:28 AM
The restaurant industry hires felons. I know plenty of people who work for restaurants in FL. that are felons.

Shondaluvnhim
01-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Good morning! I was just browsing on my computer and came across this site project180reentry.org.

Shondaluvnhim
01-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Also if you are in the St. Lucie, Martin, Indian River, and Okeechobee counties check out pd19.org. hope this can help someone!

Ghostswife
01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
I realize this is a very old thread but am wondering if anyone knows of help for folks with felony records...I have a Bachelor's in Allied Health and partial Masters in Psychology. TIA :)