View Full Version : Info needed on Darrington Unit Rosharon - Texas Prison

BryansGirl
09-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Please if you have any info on this unit called Darrington in Rosharon Tx pm me please thanks, Krista

lil2k74
01-19-2005, 11:28 AM
I am trying get some info on this unit because have a friend that is there. So if you here something could you please forward it on to me and I'll do the same. :)

ddavi
01-19-2005, 07:40 PM
I will try to fill in what questions you guys have, my baby has been there since September, feel free to PM me.

judy24
09-26-2005, 01:24 PM
hey, i myself want to know more about this unit. I've been wanting to go for some time to to visit a very close friend so if you do ever get more info please let me know. thanks

albertzgurl210
09-26-2005, 03:18 PM
As Far As My Experience I Would Rather Deal With Parole Then Darrington They Are Not Very Helpful If U Want Information My Husband Was 'missing' From There Unit And They Couldnt Tell Me Why Or Where He Went Or What Happened And It Was On The Day He Was To Be Released The Only Person I Got Help From There Was The Chaplin My Husband Said That It Is Worse Then Being In Ad Seg And That There Are Mice And Roaches That Crawl All Over Everyone And Everything I Never Visited There Since He Was Only There For 3 Days So If Theres Anything Else U Wanna Know Just Ask

lissette
09-26-2005, 09:46 PM
i've heard that this place is real messed up. my hubby was there over night for a transfer and he hated it. there are some real messed up things going on there. my friend was talking to some guy in there and he would tell some horror stories, but i don't really know much else.

timber_fairy
09-27-2005, 08:05 AM
My husband was there over the weekend once as well, he wrote me a 22 page letter that first night because he said he couldn't sleep with all the B/S going on there. He described the shower to be awful nasty. He said instead of a shower head of any kind there was a hole in the wall and the water (cold) just shot out of it like a hose or something. And he said the floor and walls were covered with mold.

bwalls
09-27-2005, 02:39 PM
My son was there just over one weekend and he was so glad to get out of there.

judy24
09-28-2005, 05:06 PM
you guys, i seriously want to cry just reading about how bad it it in darrington. My friend has been there over a year and not once did he mention how bad the conditions are. but he's a positive guy, i know he tries not to let it get to him. thanks a bunch

albertzgurl210
09-29-2005, 08:44 PM
The best bet is call to huntsville and complain tell them that ur friend has gotten sick over and over and that it is because of the conditions then u can call the dept of health and complain because nothing else will make it better i dont want to sound racist but there are mostly black people there and some just dont have good hygiene

PalmviewPrincess
09-30-2005, 07:42 PM
My father is at the Darrington Unit as well. I just found out earlier this year that he was there. Unfortunately, I have not talked to, or seen him in about 8 yrs becuz he has never been around. He has been in and out of prison all my life, or should I say the past 22yrs.

Nevertheless, it still breaks my heart to hear what kind of conditions he's been living in for the past 2 1/2 yrs their at Darrington. He's my dad, and even though communication doesnt exist between us, I still care about him.

Any other info that anyone might have??? As in how the COs treat them, or if its a laid back unit? What kind of unit, I mean, an example is that I know that their are some units that are notorious for gang affiliation... what is this unit known for other than what has already been mentioned.

I too would appreciate a pm with this info, or a forwarded one from some of the people that have already posted. Thanks in advance!

a_coleman
10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Its not only black people that have poor hygene. My husband was on that unit for a couple of days. He didnt really say anything about it other than the mosquitos got him real bad but he didnt care because he was on his way to the walls unit to be released!

natas
10-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately I passed through Darrington Unit back in 91.

I wasn't suppossed to be there in the first place so I was shuffled off to Goree, then home on a computer error. (Yes, an error in my favor)

My experience in Darrington was brief but unforgettable. I was 22 years old and I looked more intimidating than I actually am. The entire trip there from Diagnostic I kept hearing how I am going to a "Gladiator Farm" and I'd better be ready to fight.

I was there only a short time and I was swinging for the fences the minute I stepped off the bus. I had three fights in less than a week. These are typical and par for the course. It sounds like Darrington is no longer a unit where people are assigned. (Transfer unit) The only ones assigned are the ones who have been there for years.
I do know that unit doesn't hold the reputation it once did. Sounds like people are faced with health issues more than gang related assaults.
It was a pretty rough unit but tollerable if you totally let go of the outside world. True Hell on Earth.

I think if I had stayed there, things would have gotten rough for me. Being a 185 pound white kid with a chip isn't the best thing in that situation.

Wow... life sure has changed since those days.

warparty
10-07-2005, 11:48 PM
was assigned to rocking d,as it was called,,,fighting,sleeping,eatting fighting,,guards were a joke,,,rukes wereq joke,,,to entertain ourselfs,we fought,,,,no real education,,,no reform,,we learned to fight

JeanettaAnn
08-15-2008, 08:31 AM
My son John has been there over a year. He has had no problems and when we go to see him we get to talk to him in the yard with no guards listening in although the guards are nearby watching, and he tells me although he wants to get his appeal over and get out, he is not really having any problems, or fights, or mistreatment and he likes it much better than when he was in county.

JeanettaAnn
08-15-2008, 08:35 AM
My son John said the area where people stay who are just there temporarily is not as good as his cell which is clean and neat are relatively bug free. He and his cellie want to keep there living area nice and do so. The temporary short stay people probably do not bother.

JeanettaAnn
08-15-2008, 08:40 AM
My son John would not do that. If conditions were really bad he would definitely say so. He has always said things the way they are and would complain if his area was bad.
I mentioned to John that a friend stayed overnight at Darrington and complained of mice and roaches and he said other people said the short term area was probably not as clean as his permanent area but he seldom saw a roach and didn't see any mice. JeanettaAnn

JeanettaAnn
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
My son John would not ignore obvious problems. If conditions were really bad he would definitely say so. He has always said things the way they are and would complain if his area was bad.
I mentioned to John that a friend stayed overnight at Darrington and complained of mice and roaches and he said other people said the short term area was probably not as clean as his permanent area but he seldom saw a roach and didn't see any mice. JeanettaAnn
The information on Darrington was correct when I posted it but it has now changed. My son has not said any more about cleanliness but he has other problems. This is what happened. I am disabled and 65. My husband is 63. We usually go to see my son several times a year and visit for 4 hours on Saturday and then rest in a motel and see him again for 4 hours on Sunday. According to Microsoft Streets and Roads we live 260 miles away. It takes us about 6 hours to drive up there as we have to get out and walk every little bit. Microsoft said it should take slightly under 5 hour. This last visit we were only allowed 2 hours total. When we got in the area where we wait for John we had to wait 30 minutes in the noisy hot room because they left my son sitting in a cell after he was called and didn't open the cell door. Then we asked to be outside but were refused. Every other time we were out on picnic tables with a wood cover, which was nice. This time we had 2 hours where we could not hear much. I held his hand but we all missed the good visits we had befoe. :confused:My son is clearly not doing well and feels the new procedures keep him from the library etc. I feel that we were not treated well either. All my medical problems are worse after this stress and I can no longer say good things about Darrington.

JeanettaAnn
09-08-2008, 10:04 AM
See my other post about how things have changed. I have been disabled for many years and am on SSI. I am going to try to get John moved on a hardship transfere. My doctor told me Friday to do this because I am worse after this last trip and there are prisons near by. The old warden would work with us about visitations but that has changed.

katydidsbro
09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Good luck. I hope you get your hardship transfer. Let us know how it goes?

Kay

RussellnJewlz
02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm scared

KathleenTX
02-12-2010, 04:57 AM
I'm scared
Of what?

Queen3534
03-29-2010, 02:21 PM
My fiance has been in darrington for a few years now, i have visited many many times as it is only 45 mins away from my home. If you have any questions feel free to PM me!:)

troubledbeauty
04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
My bf has been in darrington for about 2 yrs and then some. Ive only been able to visit him twice. I also live 45 min or less from the unit. Jay doesnt tell me much about the unit except how the food is sometimes too small in poportion (he a giant i might add..lol) and sometimes gross. Hes gotten into some trouble and is now in add seg til 2011. His mentallity has changed very much :(. I worry about him in there, but he always assures me that he can take care of himself. There are alot of african american inmates and employees, but i have also seen some hispanics and anglos. I visit him thru glass, its hard to hear him. Im short and the chairs are little (on purpose i suppose) so the table is up to my chest, i hate that and jay thinks its hilarious!!! Anyways. Any questions just holla at me. Im in houston near downtown.

KathleenTX
04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
My bf has been in darrington for about 2 yrs and then some. Ive only been able to visit him twice. I also live 45 min or less from the unit. Jay doesnt tell me much about the unit except how the food is sometimes too small in poportion (he a giant i might add..lol) and sometimes gross. Hes gotten into some trouble and is now in add seg til 2011. His mentallity has changed very much :(. I worry about him in there, but he always assures me that he can take care of himself. There are alot of african american inmates and employees, but i have also seen some hispanics and anglos. I visit him thru glass, its hard to hear him. Im short and the chairs are little (on purpose i suppose) so the table is up to my chest, i hate that and jay thinks its hilarious!!! Anyways. Any questions just holla at me. Im in houston near downtown.

Stack the chairs. That is what one of the guards told me to do. I am short and stocky. When I have gone I swear I could rest my chin on the counter. Have you seen that new metal box thing to talk through? Last time I was there it was only at one of the windows. It was horrible. I wrote some letters and hope they did away with it.

My friend is also in Ad Seg. The stories I could tell you! Some bad and some really funny. But I have kept him busy. Amazon.com and me have a love affair going. I buy cheap cards from Walgreens and the dollar store and so he gets lots and lots of mail. I send books, puzzle, trivia, weird news and just crazy stuff. He tells my family that I can raise his blood pressure and yet that I make him feel very "normal".

I think it is very hard work on a friend or family member when they are in Ad Seg. I send grocery ads and WalMart ads and just silly stuff.

devo8466
12-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Please if you have any info on this unit called Darrington in Rosharon Tx pm me please thanks, Krista
Hello, I saw your post just this morning. I spent about 4 days at the Darrington Unit while being shipped to "my" I.D. Unit back in 2002. there isn't anything good to say about that Unit or its criminals in uniform, TDCJ uniforms that is. The guards are the ones that bring in drugs, cell phones, and even weapons. What I did discover was that there are good people who "mess up", but are still good people. Ironically I now live VERY close to this Unit. I've been out since 8-2009. If there's anything specific you desire to know, ask me. If I know I'll tell you.

bertsbaby
01-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Hi, my name is Linda, my husband is incarcerated at Darrington, he is unhappy there, saying there is a lot of racial prejudice among inmates as well as guards. This is the 3rd unit he has been moved to. I will write him and try to get more info. Darrington is in a small town, in Brazoria County, not too far from Houston. Where are you?:giggle:

devo8466
01-14-2013, 05:42 AM
Hi, my name is Linda, my husband is incarcerated at Darrington, he is unhappy there, saying there is a lot of racial prejudice among inmates as well as guards. This is the 3rd unit he has been moved to. I will write him and try to get more info. Darrington is in a small town, in Brazoria County, not too far from Houston. Where are you?:giggle:
I was just going over the many replies to this darrington Unit issue. The crimes and injustices done at the Darrington have been going on so long that many locals and law enforcement simply "accept" this as a unfortunate fact. While I was there in 2002 in transfer I would see and hear the so called Trusties walking up and down the run calling out, " cigerettes, marijuana,..." IF your guy can get transfered to the Price Daniel Unit he would be much better off. Although I KNOW tdcj doesn't allow one to "choose" their unit. But hell, you can try !

devo8466
01-14-2013, 05:59 AM
The information on Darrington was correct when I posted it but it has now changed. My son has not said any more about cleanliness but he has other problems. This is what happened. I am disabled and 65. My husband is 63. We usually go to see my son several times a year and visit for 4 hours on Saturday and then rest in a motel and see him again for 4 hours on Sunday. According to Microsoft Streets and Roads we live 260 miles away. It takes us about 6 hours to drive up there as we have to get out and walk every little bit. Microsoft said it should take slightly under 5 hour. This last visit we were only allowed 2 hours total. When we got in the area where we wait for John we had to wait 30 minutes in the noisy hot room because they left my son sitting in a cell after he was called and didn't open the cell door. Then we asked to be outside but were refused. Every other time we were out on picnic tables with a wood cover, which was nice. This time we had 2 hours where we could not hear much. I held his hand but we all missed the good visits we had befoe. :confused:My son is clearly not doing well and feels the new procedures keep him from the library etc. I feel that we were not treated well either. All my medical problems are worse after this stress and I can no longer say good things about Darrington.
I spent 3 or 4 days at this god-forsaken Unit. Sometimes with these prison units, as with Darrington, the "wrongs" have been going on so long, that the Officals and "others" simply accept these facts as the "Cost of doing business". Most of the Many offenders I met while incarcerated were (are) good people who made poor choices somewhere in their lives. But a certain portion of inmates are criminally minded all the time, even while incarcerated. Oddly enough, many of the guards at the darrington Unit are just as evil as some of their inmates are. Only difference is they (the guards) are in the tdcj uniform. The racial imbalance at Darrington is wild. It is basically a negro unit. But then again... :)

msm2160
02-15-2013, 10:05 AM
I visited Darrington a few weeks ago, it is located on a farm. Conditions were decent but there are definitely a lot of work opportunities for the inmates

nurseyancey
02-13-2014, 02:47 PM
The best bet is call to huntsville and complain tell them that ur friend has gotten sick over and over and that it is because of the conditions then u can call the dept of health and complain because nothing else will make it better i dont want to sound racist but there are mostly black people there and some just dont have good hygiene

There are a lot of nasty white people there also. I was visiting my son and a white inmate sat there picking buggers out of his nose eating them. Then ate a sandwich. He was stinking very bad. Another time I visited there a Spanish man inmate came in with boo bo on the back of his pants. A lot of the other men there do not have good hygiene.:blah: