View Full Version : Fountain / J.O. Davis Correctional Facility ~ Visitation etc / Updated

danielle
01-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Fountain / J. O. Davis Correctional Facility

Prison Physical Address:
9677 Hwy 21 N
Atmore, AL 36503

Prison Mailing Address:
Fountain 3800
Atmore, AL 36503-3800

Prison Main Phone Number: (251) 368-8122

Warden: Jerry Ferrell

Visitation hours – Sundays from 8:00 am - 11:00 am and 11:45 am - 2:45 pm (alternates from week-to-week, based on last name). For example, a prisoner will have morning visitation one week, afternoon visitation the next week, and morning the following week, etc. (NOTE - This information as well as other visitation info below may have changed, we have not received any updates since 2003 on this facility's visitation procedures.)

Visitation note: When one goes to visit, there is a gravel road with a sign that says “Fountain/J. O. Davis.” Visitors park along this road and at 8:00 or 11:45 a CO will drive down to the sign and lead the visitors in. They will direct the visitors where to park and at this time the visitors will stand in line outside the front door and be called in one at a time. Get there early or one can stand in line through the first hour of visitation. They do not get in a hurry.

Visitation rules - The same as all Alabama prison facilities.
No shorts, sweat pants, strapless, spaghetti string tops, and tank tops.
Nothing tight-fitting/form-fitting.
ABSOLUTELY NO SOLID WHITE OR LIGHT COLORS.
No short skirts or dresses with high splits.
Slips must be worn under skirts and dresses.
Underwear must be worn - and they do check.
No caps or hats.
All eyewear must be prescription; no sunglasses.
$20 in change can be taken in for use in vending machines.
Must have a photo ID - driver’s license, work ID, etc.
They are not picky about jewelry - rings, necklaces, watches, etc.

Do not take anything in with you, besides the change for the vending machines, except photo ID and car keys.

Type of prison – State prison

Security level of prison: medium & minimum

Number of prisoners: 1109

Opened in: 1955

Death row – no

The hole – ad seg unit in Fountain Correctional Facility section

Hours of daily lockdown - only during sleeping hours

Rules for mail both inbound and outbound -
There’s no limit on pages in a letter as long as they will fit into a regular legal sized envelope. Letters are read and can be censored either by sending back or marking through with a black, permanent marker. Mail sometimes delayed for inmates in J.O. Davis section of facility (up to a week for a letter to be received) because it goes to Fountain section first. One can doodle and write on envelopes. Am not sure about glitter/stickers/etc. on letters.

Outgoing mail is not read or censored.

Goods that can be sent in and out through mail - prisoners can receive quarterly packages; list must be obtained from the prisoner and approved before packages are sent. People who send the packages must be on the prisoner’s funds list. Packages can be sent in March, June, September, and December. Possible contents of the packages vary from each quarter.

Can you send stamps to a Prisoner - yes, stamps can be sent in with letters, up to 20 at one time. Stamps can be self-adhesive in a book or those that require moisture to stick.

How to send money to a Prisoner in this prison - send a money order (postal) in with letters. Fill out the prisoner’s name and AIS # in the “Pay To” section, and the sender’s complete name and address in the “From” section. The prisoner must have a funds list and if the sender is not on that list, the money order will be sent back. The funds list is different and separate from the visitation list. People on the funds list must be approved, just as people on the visitation list.

You may now also send funds to ADOC inmates via Western Union online, and funds are generally on their books within a matter of hours. How to do this:

1. Go to http://www.westernunion.com/ and set up an account.

2. Look for the "How To" section, then "Send an Inmate Payment Online".

3. When it asks you for the account number, enter the AIS number and inmate's last name like this with no spaces: 123456SMITH

4. (I would suggest putting your inmate's first & last name on the next ("optional") line to just to be safe!)

ADOC web page for Fountain/JO Davis:
http://www.doc.state.al.us/facility.asp?id=9

Information last updated: August 3rd, 2006 & March 14, 2008 (minimally updated w/ contact info & Western Union info)

daniellefink
03-28-2007, 12:38 PM
My husband has just been sent to J.O. Davis at Fountain not even a week ago, and when I called about sending him a money order I was told that the address is Fountain 4000, Atmore,AL 36503. I was also told that I could use Fountain 3800 but it would take longer for him to receive it because it would go through Fountain first.

jdw's mom
02-15-2009, 03:48 PM
My son is in J.O. Davis since August 2008. I have been down to visit twice. When visiting; they do not allow jewelry (except wedding rings) and will make you take any and all back to your vehicle. On both my visits I witnessed this and believe me it holds the line up for others waiting to get in.
About wearing white clothing; one young man had on a white thermal type shirt and was, of course, from out of town and had no other clothing with him. The Officers furnished him an orange shirt to wear over his while visiting. I was totally shocked that they offered and allowed him this assistance. That doesn't mean they will do it the next time though.
Quarters that you take in should be in a clear plastic bag. They do count them; so it is much easier if you take them in rolled and let them empty the roll in your bag. (saves time on them counting).
Waiting time is ridiculous, if you are at the end of the line it is true and correct that you will spend the first hour, of visiting hours in LINE. They really DO NOT get in a hurry as stated in the original post. Once it is your turn the process is pretty simple and speedy, takes about 5 minutes.
All of the Officers have been really nice and helpful and we really did not experience any problems.

Stamps: They can have two books of stamps (40) per letter, per week.
Loose Paper: 4 (four) blank sheets enclosed, per letter
Envelopes: 4 (four) per letter
Photos: 5 (five) per letter
4 (four) pages printed internet material per letter

Do Not enclose ANY religious material in with your letter/mail. They will put it in the reject/hold mail and it will have to go through the Chaplain and then the Captain before the inmate receives it. This happened to me and it took almost three weeks for my son to receive my letter.

Also; Make sure you only enclose 4 (FOUR AND NO MORE) pieces of paper and envelopes. I accidently enclosed 5 pieces of blank paper and that one extra piece caused my letter to be put in the reject pile and it took them two weeks to deliver it to my son. (NO JOKE). I finally had to call the mail clerk to find out where my letter was!

Just depends on who's doing the mail that day or week, I guess!

Hope this is helpful

deserttrvlr
04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Hello,
My son has been at Fountain since Fall 08. I have visited twice ( 6 hours away). I called before my first visit and was given the wrong visiting day. Got there Sat. morning and was told to come back on sunday. Ended up spending the nite in a hotel- could not bear driving back to Hsv, then turning around. Stressed me out. I was given a visitation schedule that day- my next visit went very well. The Guards were firm but helpful. The canteen is extremely expensive ( to me) and they runout of smokes really fast!

Jaysangel71
10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
My fiance is in Fountain and on Monday Nov 1 2010 they are supposed to be getting a new warden. I know her name but is there anything else that I can find out about her such as how she rolls as in where she has previously worked, how she handles the prisoners. I'm just curious as to what type of warden she is and how well she has done in previous prisons. Thank you for any help you can supply.

DaugherInLaw
05-17-2011, 04:36 AM
For anyone new to Fountain:
* there is no air conditioning in the visitation area, only industrial sized fans. It gets hot fast.
* it is a very small area, so it can get noisy very fast.
* they do allow pony tail holders (or as of the last time we visited they did)
* they do check for slips if you wear a skirt or dress. It doesn't matter how long it is, wear a slip.

ShonCupcake
06-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I am going to visit my fiance for the first time in davis. Any info on kissing and touching. And also what should I wear almost all my clothes are form fitting (I'm a 3)and don't want to travel there all the way from tx not to get in. Thanks

lisainengland
06-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I dont know what the visitation is like at davis but at most Alabama prisons you are allowed a kiss and hug at the beginning and end of the visit and they may let you hold hands during the visit. As for clothes, the clothes restrictions are the same at most prisons.

Visitation rules - The same as all Alabama prison facilities.
No shorts, sweat pants, strapless, spaghetti string tops, and tank tops.
Nothing tight-fitting/form-fitting.
ABSOLUTELY NO SOLID WHITE OR LIGHT COLORS.
No short skirts or dresses with high splits.
Slips must be worn under skirts and dresses.
Underwear must be worn - and they do check.
No caps or hats.
All eyewear must be prescription; no sunglasses.
$20 in change can be taken in for use in vending machines.
Must have a photo ID - driverís license, work ID, etc.
They are not picky about jewelry - rings, necklaces, watches, etc

I would advise that you take a change of clothes in your car just in case they dont allow something you are wearing. I hope this helps and you have a great visit. :D

I am going to visit my fiance for the first time in davis. Any info on kissing and touching. And also what should I wear almost all my clothes are form fitting (I'm a 3)and don't want to travel there all the way from tx not to get in. Thanks

acourt2002
06-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Fountain Correctional Center 6-7-2011

Dress code
Male Visitors:
1. Shirts- No Tank, Muscle or Jogging tops.
2. Trousers- No shorts, Jogging Pants, Sweat pants, or Wind pants.
3. No Hats, Caps, or Scarves allowed.
4. Sunglasses allowed only with proof of prescription.

Female Visitors:
1. Shirts- No deep or High Splits; No Front button downs allowed
2. Blouses- No low cut or sleeveless blouses allowed
3. Dresses- No low cut, sleeveless or button down fronts allowed.
4. No tanks or Halter tops allowed
5. No shorts, jogging pants, sweat pants, or wind pants.
6. No sun or backless style dresses.
7. No see through or sheer fabrics allowed
8. No mini-skirts, shorts, capris, or pans that give the appearance or shorts allowed.
9. A complete set of undergarments required, this included bra, panties, slip, ect.
10. No hats, caps or scarves allowed
*Shoes must be worn by all visitors, including children.
*Children under 5 years of age may wear shorts.
*No White outer garments will be allowed on either children or adults.
*Visitors are limited to 4 adults and 4 children per inmate.
*Visitors can bring in a combined total of $30.00 per inmate. Quarters are not required since they do not use vending machines
*Only the children of inmates are allowed to visit a birth certificate is required.

jlgnjdg831
07-02-2012, 11:36 AM
You can take as much money as you want now. Warden White raised the price if the sandwiches per the people who sell it at visitation.

jlgnjdg831
07-02-2012, 11:40 AM
If anyone has a loved one at Fountain Correctional Facility they need to write the

Southern Center for Human Rights
83 Poplar St. NW Atlanta, GA 30303
phone: 404.688.1202 fax: 404.688.9440
email: info(at)schr.org

I emailed them a few weeks ago about several issues in regards of Fountain Correctional Facility. Someone called me today from the Southern Center of Human Rights. She said that if we could get enough people to contact them about the issues they could get involved and look into a lawsuit. So everyone write them and have their loved ones do it too.

weekendsoff
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi to everyone, I'm new on here. :D My hubby-to-be is at Fountain. I have not had a visit yet so any advise for a first timer???? I am literally scared that I am going to get there and wear the wrong thing and not get in. :angry:Also, how long will the visit get to be really and what does everyone do during the visit? I mean, it's gonna be hard if I have to sit so close to him and not touch and darn it I need to touch him!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
So I am really looking forward to reading all the posts on here. This appears to be a great resource for wifes, girlfriends, etc.

weekendsoff

jlgnjdg831
07-06-2012, 06:38 PM
My husband is at Fountain. It can take up to 45 minutes to get in there. Also make sure you do not have any cleavage showing. Sgt Langham depending what mood she is in if the get on you for holding hands etc. You can wear capris handles

bayougirl43
07-19-2014, 03:36 AM
I get to go see my finace' tomorrow for the first time in almost eight months. I will update how there visitation is at g k fountain after my visit. Im so happy im finally getting to see him. ��

frostwoman1954
07-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Bayougirl,

That's wonderful! This is an old thread, but the information will be great. When you do post, please post it in a new thread, same forum. That way everyone will be able to identify it and benefit from it. Thank you for doing this for us.

Michele