09-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Mr. John Husz, Superintendent
1015 North 10th Street
P.O. Box 05740
Milwaukee, WI 53205-0740
414-212-3535
FAX 414-212-6811

Information: 414-212-3535

The Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility (MSDF) is on the corner of 10th and State located in downtown Milwaukee and began accepting offenders on October 1, 2001. This facility is a holding facility, for probation/parole violators, operated by the Department of Corrections, Division of Adult Institutions. The mission of the Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility is to provide detention, accountability, and programming to adult male felons in a safe secure institution, while being responsive to all criminal justice stakeholders and the community.

This facility, while it is statutorily an adult institution, operates in a similar manner to that of a jail operation. Unlike a Department of Corrections institution, the Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility accepts offenders 24 hours a day, much like a county jail. The facility has an intake booking/objective classification process closely resembling that of a county jail unlike other institutions where all offenders are sent to the Dodge Correctional Institution for Assessment and Evaluation.

The Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility has a capacity of 1,048 offenders. Of that number 800 beds are secure detention beds for men who have been on supervision in the community and violated conditions of supervision. Other offender groups include those in need of transportation to Dodge Correctional for processing into the State Prison System. There are also be 210 additional beds that will be part of an AODA inpatient program. The average stay in the general holding cells is 67 days. The average stay in the AODA program is 6 months.

QT_IN_MILWAUKEE
10-14-2004, 04:41 PM
This is where my boyfriend is, he has been at the MSDF since March and it has been 6 months in there... he hasn't been able to get outside since then, I hear it is hard even though it is a medium security.. There are females in this facilty too they are put on the 5th floor.

kirkandann
08-20-2005, 10:43 PM
I am new to this does anyone have any information about the AIR program at MSDF my fiance is going there as an alternative to revocation, for a 90 program. Any information about visits, etc.. would be great. this is all so hard.

debhp
11-16-2005, 11:18 PM
hello i was wondering any updates on who can visit, if you are on their state lists are you still on when they come to this places and what about letters will they throw them away or will inmate be able to take when the leave

debhp
11-16-2005, 11:20 PM
is there a phone number also if i can talk to someone too

debhp
11-17-2005, 02:24 PM
very important that i know this soon as possible if anyone knows please leave a message

LoveWI
09-02-2006, 09:28 AM
The phone # to obtain any information here is as follows:
414-212-3535

I hope this helps you. My boyfriend and father of my baby is there right now awaiting his sentencing and than to be sent out to Dodge and than who knows where. Any more questions ask away and I will try and help. The visitor list is usually approved by their P.O. so it depends on how well they work which a lot of know they suck!!
Carrie

shortyjen9
09-28-2006, 10:40 AM
get this...my fiance got arrested last friday because he missed court...he missed court because he was with his P. O. so anyways....he got a signature bond but then he had a P. O. hold on him and has a $500 bail now...i just found out today that he got transfered to MSDF. if he has bail how long do you think he will be there...how long do these "p o holds" last. i dont know what to do....by the way im 6 months pregnant with his baby...anyone have any answers or advise

haunted-eyes
09-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I can answer the po hold question. As far as I remember the po can hold a person for up to 30 days before they either release them or revoke them. Ive known a few ppl that their po's just leave them in Hold hoping they learn their lesson and then release them on the last day possible.

sjwags
02-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I am wondering which address is the one you can write to them at? My boyfriend just was transferred to MSDF and I don't know anything about it. And who do I go through to put money on my phone so he can call me? If anyone could help it'd be awesome!

SummerRae
02-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I am wondering which address is the one you can write to them at? My boyfriend just was transferred to MSDF and I don't know anything about it. And who do I go through to put money on my phone so he can call me? If anyone could help it'd be awesome!

You would go through Correctional Billing for the phones.

Mailing address for MSDF:

Inmate Name and DOC#
MSDF
PO Box 05911
Milwaukee, WI
53205-0911

Mailing address for money orders:

Inmate Name and DOC#
MSDF
PO Box 05229
Milwaukee, WI
53205-0229

sjwags
02-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I had my boyfriends doc # but suddenly I can't find it. I'm pissed off.. Is there any way to look it up?

Eth
03-23-2009, 10:17 PM
I had my boyfriends doc # but suddenly I can't find it. I'm pissed off.. Is there any way to look it up?

I think wat u can do is go to thier website and get the number and that should help u from their

spring12780
04-16-2009, 06:56 PM
:o Does ANYONE know HOW or IF I can recieve calls from MSDF on my cell phone!? .... I called that correctional billing # they gave me & 1 person says yes & 1 says no .... 1 says I need THIS number & 1 says I need THAT number !!!??? I am SO frustrated :angry: ... how hard is it to get a phone call!!!??? OMG! ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!! A step by step guide from someone that actually GETS calls would be extra nice :)

speshulk
11-14-2009, 07:28 PM
I get calls on my cell through Correctional Billing. I called the number listed on the website. It was an automated system and you set up your account by entering your phone number and address. I put money on my account with a credit card, but pretty sure you can do Western Union or money order. You can then register on their website and check your balance.

wmarchele
01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
hi
my son is it msdf how long do you have to wait befor they can call house and how long do it take befor the po will see him this is the frist time f-off they said it like bad do anyone know how this work will his po let him come back home i am so wrong about him if you can help me with this please do thank you

murphcosgirl
01-13-2010, 07:27 AM
hi
my son is it msdf how long do you have to wait befor they can call house and how long do it take befor the po will see him this is the frist time f-off they said it like bad do anyone know how this work will his po let him come back home i am so wrong about him if you can help me with this please do thank you

I got a letter a couple days ago. He says it is not too bad, he was in intake for a week and yesterday he was supposed to be transferred to the alcohol treatment floor. He says I shouldn't worry............I have heard terrible things also, from staff. Air quality, staff turnover, food, medical - there is nothing good to say. Corrections people says it is the armpit of Wi-DOC. He says it will be thirty days before anyone can visit, and then only immediate family.

Jazzola
07-08-2010, 01:05 PM
I get calls on my cell through Correctional Billing. I called the number listed on the website. It was an automated system and you set up your account by entering your phone number and address. I put money on my account with a credit card, but pretty sure you can do Western Union or money order. You can then register on their website and check your balance.

What are the time limits for each call?

Is there a processesing fee? The last service I went through the processing fee was almost $6.

Roughly how expensive is each call? I'm on a cell too. My area code is 920...

lifewps
07-28-2010, 11:35 PM
My friend is being transferred to MSDF for the Alcohol Treatment program (ERP). He is currently at Jackson. He wants more real information on the conditions there for those in an ERP program. Anything anyone can share?

Also, since he's been at Jackson for several months now, I've been on his approved visitor list and have been able to see him there. I read that at MSDF it is just like Reception and back to immediate family only. Does that apply if you are already on the registered visitor list?

Thanks for any information you can supply.

Jazzola
07-29-2010, 03:11 PM
My boyfriend is almost three weeks into the Cognitive-based AODA program at MSDF.

He says the program and the therapy is pretty well done, and the program staff is kind and on top of their stuff. The program is Mon-Fri 8:00am to 4:00pm and they receive homework most nights.

The Correctional Officers are pretty asinine, borderline-harassing, and very nit-picky; probably because they know that these men have so much to loose. They need to get through this program to go back to their family's, if they screw up at all they will get revoked and go back to prison. These men have a lot at stake.

Food wise, my honey says the quality is similar to that of the County jail (Outagamie), just smaller portions.

A frustrating thing for him though is in his block there's like 60ish men, and only 12 men other than him are white; everyone else is African American. We've got nothing again African-Americans; we're from the Fox Cities though where their is lots of ethnic diversity -- 'whites', natives, Mexicans, Hmong, Chinese, and African/African-Americans. So that's kind of strange for him.

Visiting list, as sh---y as it is, is only blood family and wives. Since it's an AODA program, he got his AA sponsor on relatively easily. He's going through his P.O to get to his Social Worker, to try to get other loved ones on the list.

Hope some of this information helped someone. Feel free to message me as well.

lifewps
07-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Thank you for your response. Well, the most important thing here is that he completes the program successfully. I agree, it's too bad the co's know that if there is just a slight problem they are sent back to prison. I wish your guy well and if you think of anything else, please add it here. Thanks.

rach141980
12-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Does anyone have the phone number for correctional billing? My boyfriends going to MSDF in January and I need to put money on my cell phone so he can call.

rach141980
12-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know how long thier AODA/ATR program is at MSDF? My boyfriend's po told him he would be there for a 60 day program but everything we've found says it a 90-day program. Has anybody gone there for a 60-day program or know someone who has?

bella33
01-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Hi,

I went on the internet's webpage for MSDF and it saiad that "inmates must fill out and sign a DOC 238, Consent to Recieve Mail Form in order to receive mail at this facility". What is this form? And what does this form have to do with anything?

Do they read the mail or photocopy and give the mail to a person's PO at MSDF? Does his PO have to ok his mail list? She isn't going to ok me.

I've had no contact with him since he was sent there and I don't even know if he knows I know where he is. :cry:

I don't have contact with his family so I don't know what to do.

lifewps
01-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Bella33,

I know the inmate has to complete the form at MSDF to receive mail, but not sure they actually have to supply who is ok to send to them, just that they can receive mail. So, give it a shot, have you tried to write? Do you know his inmate #? If not, you can find that out on vinelink as you'll need it for the address. The other thing is MSDF is like the other places where he needs money on his books for stamps and envelopes, so that might be an issue as well. I've also discovered that there is a lot of homework with the ERP program at least, so time to write might be minimal.

As far as the photocopy or reading of the mail, not sure there, but I guess, as long as it's normal conversation and nothing shady, you should be fine.

Good luck!

rosaljj01
06-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Im new to this site an wanted to know, is this just a site for families to talk back an forward or is there a way to get this info to the person in jail?

auggiesgirl8183
10-30-2011, 07:23 PM
I am Just wondering my boyfriend is currently at MSDF on an ATR his PO said it is a 60 day wait to get into a halfway house were he must then complete a 90 day treatment program I was just wondering is it really 60days we hear some guys have been waiting 6 to 7 months while others are waiting 30 to 50 days?

BROOKLYNSWIFE21
11-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I am not sure as I have not had any experience in MSDF but I do know that they seem to do whatever they want. So, I say plan for the worst and hope for the best and dont stop praying! Milwaukee Probation department sucks and seem to just want to punish people. I wish you well!

babymikeswife
11-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Does anybody know if I can mail in a book from amazon or ebay?? I know I can from like barnes and noble but was wondering about the other sites.

Soninprison1
11-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Does anybody know if I can mail in a book from amazon or ebay?? I know I can from like barnes and noble but was wondering about the other sites.

I was told you can not mail a book and it has to come directly from the company. I was able to order a couple of books from Ebay and the seller did send them directly to him and he did receive those books. She had to have an invoice and receipt of payment with it.

Soninprison1
11-27-2011, 07:15 PM
The books I sent did have to be new and not used.

luxx27
04-29-2013, 07:40 PM
My boyfriend has been at MSDF for two weeks now. Thankfully his PO is the nicest lady and keeps me informed about most anything that goes on with him. We got lucky
As for mail, I received a letter from him within a week of him being there. I've sent maybe 10 letters in the past week with no problems. He is only granted one envelope a week to send out a letter. He is only allowed to call maybe once or twice a week, but he is in seg. He starts rehab at the end of June and his PO said it is a 90 day program. Not sure what the visiting regulations will be once he starts that. But his PO also said that MSDF recently changed their visiting rules to where girlfriends are allowed to visit, as long as they are on the approved list... usually takes 2-4 weeks for everything to be approved and sent back to the jail, so I'm hoping sometime this week I will be able to see him. As far as calling, there's a place out of Texas, I think Securas is the company name, that allows you to open an account and put money on there so you can receive inmate calls. Its not exactly the cheapest but its a small amount to pay just to hear your loved ones voice. Hope this helped some of you =)

aka-zap
08-06-2013, 03:05 PM
My boyfriend is almost three weeks into the Cognitive-based AODA program at MSDF.

He says the program and the therapy is pretty well done, and the program staff is kind and on top of their stuff. The program is Mon-Fri 8:00am to 4:00pm and they receive homework most nights.

The Correctional Officers are pretty asinine, borderline-harassing, and very nit-picky; probably because they know that these men have so much to loose. They need to get through this program to go back to their family's, if they screw up at all they will get revoked and go back to prison. These men have a lot at stake.

Food wise, my honey says the quality is similar to that of the County jail (Outagamie), just smaller portions.

A frustrating thing for him though is in his block there's like 60ish men, and only 12 men other than him are white; everyone else is African American. We've got nothing again African-Americans; we're from the Fox Cities though where their is lots of ethnic diversity -- 'whites', natives, Mexicans, Hmong, Chinese, and African/African-Americans. So that's kind of strange for him.

Visiting list, as sh---y as it is, is only blood family and wives. Since it's an AODA program, he got his AA sponsor on relatively easily. He's going through his P.O to get to his Social Worker, to try to get other loved ones on the list.

I know it's been awhile that you've posted. I don't know if your still on this site or not, but you seem to have good insight. I thought I'd give this a try. My boyfriend's P.O told him today that he'd be going there when a bed opens up. He will be staying for 90 days. That's all we know so far. I have countless questions and no one to answer them. With that being said, I'm hoping maybe, just maybe your still on this site to help me out. How long does it take for a bed to open up? Are the visitations only immediate family? Do they get to go outside? From what I've read they are strict, on a more personal note, did your loved one 'graduate'? What are the health conditions like?

luxx27
09-14-2013, 04:31 PM
I know it's been awhile that you've posted. I don't know if your still on this site or not, but you seem to have good insight. I thought I'd give this a try. My boyfriend's P.O told him today that he'd be going there when a bed opens up. He will be staying for 90 days. That's all we know so far. I have countless questions and no one to answer them. With that being said, I'm hoping maybe, just maybe your still on this site to help me out. How long does it take for a bed to open up? Are the visitations only immediate family? Do they get to go outside? From what I've read they are strict, on a more personal note, did your loved one 'graduate'? What are the health conditions like?

My boyfriend did graduate from their aoda program. Yes this is a medium security prison, but they are not allowed to go outside. They're in downtown Milwaukee so there isn't a yard for them to use. The beds open up depending if anyone drops out of the program, etc. Luckily my boyfriend, who was supposed to do his aoda starting in July, got in early may. Im obviously not immediate family but your loved one must fill out a visitor list in which gets sent to their PO for approval, which can take up to 30 days to get approved. Visits are televisits and last up to an hour depending on what time you go. He said the place is pretty boring, but thats cause no one wants to get more time in jail thea nneeded. Any other questions, let me know!

silverqueen0819
08-26-2014, 02:43 AM

Thank you so much for posting all of that information on here! I have a few questions for you if you still go on here. Will my boyfriend be able to take his things with him when he transfers to MSDF? Or will I have to buy him all brand new things like t-shirts, socks, and underwear? Also, is the food comparable to the food in Outagamie? Or is it a lot worse?! Will he be able to order canteen while he's there? Are things still going well for your boyfriend? Did the program seem to help? My boyfriend is going there at the end of Sept. and this is his last chance before doing major prison time. I'm praying that this helps us!