View Full Version : Differences in Drug Sentences

Matthew's_Angel
10-05-2004, 07:31 PM
I think the drug sentencing is a joke. There is such a variety of # of years that a person can be sentenced and it differs from states, counties, and what "mood" the prosecuting attorney is in.

I was wondering what ya'lls experiences were in drug sentencing.

My soon to be husband got 60 years:mad: for poss of meth with intent to deliver. It was less than 3 grams and he got the intent because they found a postal scale in the kitchen. That was all they could find. There was no drugs, money, or anything else for that matter. He even cooperated and admitted to everything, even flushing it down the toilet before the cops came in. It was for personal use.

One good thing:o , I guess you could say, is that he doesn't have to serve 75%. He is eligeble for parole 2013. He has been in 7 yrs this Nov. We are working on a time reduction.

Hope to hear your stories.

asweetangel99
10-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Hi,

My ex is in with similar charges. initally the dea was going for conspiricy to manufacture with intent to distribute (or something simliar)... he got offered a plea bargin for possession of 99 GRAMS (from what i am told) and he ws only looking at 41-51 months. based upon time already served and the drug program he is doing right now, he will be out in less than 2 yrs. (that is if he gets max time) Mind you, this is in TX. His first drug offense, and he didnt have posession of anything, they did get some paraphenalia for the meth lab, but that was it, no actual drugs... I just dont get it... how they play games with people like this.. good luck with everything and keep me/us posted.

Matthew's_Angel
10-06-2004, 01:16 AM
I think that "conspiracy" is a joke. How can they convict somebody for something that they have not actually done yet? Okay, say that he did have the stuff to manufacture and the thought of actually going through with it, but without the end result - the final product, what REALLY did they do that was sooooo wrong? I just think that is really unfair.

Take care and thanks for replying!

I LOVE your poem!!!!

LAMONT'S WIFE
10-06-2004, 10:44 PM
My husband is in now and got a 30 year sentence, he has been in for 9 years. He is doing fed time, so does he have to do 85% of his time? and will he be eligible for parole? how long do you think he will be in?

Matthew's_Angel
10-06-2004, 11:40 PM
I may be way off base here, but I thought that Fed time did not get out early. If they were sentenced to 10 years then they had to stay for 10 years. That is just how I understood it though. Have you been to the Fed's website? www.bop.gov (http://www.bop.gov) go to inmate search and either put in his name or #, it should be able to tell you when he should be released.

Good Luck!!!

goatboy
11-09-2004, 09:05 AM
60 years, man thats tough. I went in for Meth Distribution, but am back out now after a year and a day.
I was never a user of meth, i just knew a lot about chemicals and figured out early how to make it and how to sell it. I got out in 2000, so my bust was before Meth became so huge in the eastern states, I understand the penelty for what I was charged with is much higher now, so i guess it is better that i got caught when i did.
Still it is kind of hard though, I have had a lot of trouble finding any good paying work, which is a shame because i have a B.A.

I dont really blame anyone though, If i was a buisness owner, i would probably not want to hire a convicted felon either, would you?

rjgulled
11-09-2004, 09:33 AM
goatboy, just because you are a convicted felon doesn't make you a bad person.People mess up, they pay the price,and they have to learn to live with it.Don't give up on a good paying job.There is one out there and there are people who beleive in giving others second chances.Keep praying for that! God will lead the way!!
My husband is in for trafficking.We were very suprised at the sentence he got.It was his first offense,but that doesn't matter anymore.They are only looking at the thought of getting drugs off the street and some DA's making a name for themselves.
We are blessed that the state prosecuted him.God is working miricles in our lives so we have him to thank.If my husband had not been arrested he would probally(sp) be dead now.I would rather be without him for a little while than never be able to see him again.Drugs do kill,and people do kill for drugs.Drugs take good people and turn them into something you can't reconise.This is my 2 cent's!!

Never give up on them!!!!

robbospooh
11-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Although I did not do time for my FIRST and ONLY drug conviction--(poss.her. less than 1 gram) I got a 7 year susp. sent. w/ 5 years probation. No offer of drug program nothing.
I am labeled a FELON--I agree with RJGULLED--being a convicted felon DOES NOT MAKE YOU A BAD PERSON. I have to prove myself every day when I go for job interviews--and I have been turned down MANY times because my conviction was DRUGS. Once people meet me and talk to me--they don't see my conviction they see me. We are human--we ALL make mistakes. It's what we do to better ourselves thats key.

Busy B
11-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Hmmm, conspiracy to import allot of MaryJane, conspiracy to import with intention to distribute, hmmmmmm...arrested out of the blue four years later after I had moved away from it all, and bang...plea offer, no interrogation..never had to talk to a cop about anything, someone else had already done all the talking, 25 co-defendants, most in the same situation as moi, (I have heard)we are all facing 57 months Federal time. I shall be deported, no question, it is considered and aggravated felony, the BIG BOYS may get 8 years, go figure, where is the logic. Yep it is a conspiracy! :angry:

Jeff'sonenonly
12-22-2004, 09:17 PM
my husband got 10 years for trafficing. He has been in 23 months now so we are on the down now I hope I know god will bring him home when he is ready.Keep the Faith.:)

haytis_girl
01-04-2005, 09:39 PM
My boyfriend was just sentenced in Missouri to NINE years for UNDER 32 grams of marijuana!!! I completely agree that the drug laws are a huge joke...I sat in court for 10 hours waiting for the sentence~ just to watch my life walk out in cuffs for nine years...be thankful for your time reduction...we will have to do 85%...God Bless~

EddysWife
01-05-2005, 12:51 PM
My husband is in now and got a 30 year sentence, he has been in for 9 years. He is doing fed time, so does he have to do 85% of his time? and will he be eligible for parole? how long do you think he will be in?

There's no parole in Federal prison. 85% is what you do provided you have behaved yourself while inside. Those are your options, in other words, none. Minnesota has no parole either, but our good time is 66% executed. So I guess I'm glad my husband was sent stateside and the feds decided against taking his case.

dudley2005
01-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Haytis girl.............9 years for under 1 oz of pot,thats crazy.I would never have thought that kind of sentence was possible under a 1oz.Alot of states write you a ticket and its a misdemeanor.Noone ever went crazy smokin a joint,id rather be around folks that are high than drunk.Booze makes alot of people crazy and mean...........go figure.

1dayatatime
01-07-2005, 03:59 PM
60 yrs holy cow. In Ga supposedely meth carried a mandatoty 10 yr sentence, but I dont see that happening. J had a drug charge and got 12 months --poss of cocaine. It was in the dash of the car he was driving, not his car. And no I am not defending him ---wrong place at wrong time, should have been home with his family.

Not just drug sentencing but the entire system is a joke!!

ONE

praise4himnok
01-13-2005, 09:28 AM
I pray you appealed the 60 year conviction....that just seems too excesive to me.

My husband received 20 years for manufacturing meth to serve 12 years with 8 suspended first time offender....no tickets....no past crimina record. Our attorney applied for a sentencing review within his first year in and the judge modified my husband's sentence to 4 in 16 suspended since his fall partners were released at their reviews.

My husband will be released in Oct of this year! It has been the hardest 3 years of my life...but it was the best thing that could ever had happened to him!

Justice4Alexa
01-13-2005, 09:33 AM
I do agree that the drug war is a joke. The police set dealers up to deliver more then they normally would and since the judge has no say so on how long a defedant gets, it is all done in weight, it is extremely unfair and a waste of our tax paying dollars. Prison are becoming over crowded and individuals who may have turned their life around will now be free SOMEDAY bitter and angery at the system and the world probably with out productive lives unless they have loved ones by their side.
I am a believer that it is just a government front. That most of the drugs they get in these busts make it back on the streets. For every dealer arrested there are two to take his or her place. It creates jobs bc they have task forces etc. I wonder who the congressman get their drugs from. Come on we all know that even lawyers and doctors can be known to use drugs recreationally. It is a sick form of what they call justice. Love ya angie

EddysWife
01-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Oh I wish, but my hubby's not a first timer. Well for manufacturing he is, but he's got some low-point drug felonies in his past. He got 13 years 2 months for manufacturing, serve 8 2/3. He's been in 3 years. It could have been MUCH worse, I keep telling myself that.

EddysWife
01-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Oh Ang, the small town up north county that Eddy and I come from, the stories I could tell about the judges, attorneys, cops.....omg, it's unbelievable the crap they do and get away with.

Eddy got busted for sales up there with NO evidence. The snitch broke the wire on his recording thing before going in the house, because he knew he wasn't buying a thing. He supposedly purchased 2 grams of meth from Eddy. The crap that was produced as evidence weighed less than .2 grams...where is the rest of it, hmmm??? And he was picking up his own crap that he had left at our house "so the old lady wouldn't get at it".
He also was a convicted felon carrying a glock 9mm on him, which of course was denied at trial by him and the task force gestapo.. They also tried to claim this snitch had nothing to gain by testifying, which we ALL know is BS. I looked at paperwork on some of the guys he took down that had copped a plea (we'd taken it to trial), and part of their restitution is "CI Payment - 90.00". HELLO!!! Nothing to gain???? For every sale he accomplished, he made 90.00 from the county, to be recouped by the guys he set up. OMG I was LIVID when that came out. Of course the judge (crooked as hell) and the attorneys in that town (also crooked as hell) refused to look at it. The state court of appeals didn't think it mattered, so Eddy's conviction stood up in the appellate court. *sigh* I was just blown away by the fact that they got him on that sale that NEVER happened, without a wire, without witnesses, with ONLY the word of a lying POS who had EVERYTHING to gain by perjuring himself - he got HIS own charges dismissed, got paid, and flew the friggen coop. GAWD! I hate this system!!!!

Gary's Wife
05-04-2005, 12:58 PM
And I thought that Reno County KS was the worst! Until I read this thread, I thought that the corrupt judicial system was just in my neck of the woods. This problem is nation wide!

divinelove
05-04-2005, 01:14 PM
He got 8 1/2 years for a delivery of a couple grams of coke. Not his 1st time. In the Feds. 85%. *sigh*

daphug
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM

daphug
06-28-2005, 07:00 PM
my husband and I recently got involved with the feds. A friend of ours / roomate was pulled over in our vehicle and found with 14 grams of meth. they then came and raided our house. they did not find anything there except some baggies. we are now charged with conspiracy, aiding and abetting. my husband is a convicted felon for a prior drug offense from 12 years ago. Im am a security guard and I had a pistol in the house. he is also being charged with felon in possession of a hand gun. They will not let him out on bond. we have entered a plea... they drop aiding and abetting on him and the gun charge he pleads guilty to conspiracy. plea said serve 5 yrs, but they are now saying it will be enhanced 5 years due to prior. they they said that it can go to 40 yrs. whats the deal? they lessened my charge to misprison of a felony, still a felony, is this a joke?

a_coleman
06-28-2005, 09:10 PM
My husband got 7 years for delivery of a controlled substance (1 gram). He was with someone that sold to an undercover, and they charged both of them with it...so I thought. It turned out that the other guy was working for the police, and set my husband up. And this is a guy that was pretty good friends with my husband. They say that the other guy got 2 years, but when I called TDC to find out if he was really there, he was nowhere to be found. They say he hasnt been in since 1999. Well anywase, to make a long story short, the judge gave him 7 years because he has a prior drug conviction that he was out on parole for. Also, I have heard that this same guy set more people up, and they are also facing some time. So everyone from Dallas, watch out for a guy named "Greedy"

RedboneQT
07-05-2005, 11:33 PM
I also believe that drug sentences are a joke. My fiancee was caught with PCP and Morphine but only received a 4 year sentence. (We're in Texas). He's been in for 5 months but goes for his first parole hearing July 8. They say that the prison system here in Texas is overcrowed and are really looking down on agg cases. Hopefully something good will come out of this crisis.

dazedandconfuse
07-06-2005, 03:43 AM
Here's my experience. I just recieved two years supervised probation (no jail time at all), 48 hours of community service, and a $1,100 fine with $300.00 in court costs for attempted marijuana cultivation in Colorado. On one hand I count my blessings b/c I met a woman from Iowa recently who spent 16 days in jail, was given 1 year probation, 6 months DL suspension, and a $1,500 fine with a $400 MADD victims reperation fine for a first time DUI. On the other hand I am a little angry b/c the only reason I was caught was b/c an offduty officer witnessed me throwing my plants away after I had already decided to quit growing. I had already torn down my grow room when they served the warrant. The DA gave me noconsidertion for this effort. No defferment, no sentence reduction. I feel that my education (4 years worth of college) is now a waste and I will be forever stuck working low paying jobs w/ little or no benefits. Although thoughts enter my mind from time to time that suggest I should make this town "pay" by opening a warehouse operatiobn, I fight them off and tell myself there will be employers who will look past this felony conviction and give me a true second chance in life.

Lady Wabbit
07-06-2005, 06:36 AM
My husband is doing 155 yrs. He got a 25 on poss of 3/100ths of a gram of cocaine, did 9 1/2 flat before coming up for parole. Got a 65 for poss of meth with intent which he paroled Aug 2004 and a 65 for poss of cocaine with intent. The judge stacked the sentences. He comes up for parole on the last 65 in the series of 3 in April 2010. He's been in 17 1/2 years.
The DA in his cases was Terry McEachean who was also the proscecutor in the now infamous Tulia case.

naty11821
07-06-2005, 09:34 AM
I know of someone that got 45 yrs for trafficking cocaine. I also do think it was a bit extreme when murderers and rapist get less time than that

BigJoe42420
08-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I may be way off base here, but I thought that Fed time did not get out early. If they were sentenced to 10 years then they had to stay for 10 years. That is just how I understood it though. Have you been to the Fed's website? www.bop.gov (http://www.bop.gov) go to inmate search and either put in his name or #, it should be able to tell you when he should be released.

Good Luck!!!

Fed time is mandatory 85%

bluemama
08-18-2005, 01:57 AM
yup 85% fed time - day for day, too. Just some FYI for us on the fed side...I just finished doing research for a project on disparity in sentencing on drug crimes (fed). first of all, most judges are not using the fed guidelines as "advisory". they're ignoring the supreme court and pretty much following the guidlelines as "mandatory" anyway. a great web site for long-termers: sentencing.typepad.com. Professor Berman and his "posse" put out some great facts, with good case law and references for fed sentencings.
Disparity is from state to state, crime to crime - and has no rhythmn or rhyme, sadly enough. age isn't a factor, race seems to be somewhat (with black males receiving harsher/longer sentences than both white and hispanic males). females seem to bear the brunt of the "they don't fit in my slot, so we'll just throw the book at them and see if they survive it". There's no attention paid to the family of the drug war defendant either- these judges don't even count the children anymore.
Some sad facts:
at year end of 2001, 5.6 million US adults had served time in State or Federal prisons
7.6 million children (under the age of 17yo) had at least one parent in prison by year end 2001
year end 2004 showed 2.2 PLUS million US adults in state or federal prison
NOW, here's the good part (always a silver lining in my world!).......
IF 2.2 million plus are in prison - and each of them has at least five friends or family members...then we're about 11 million strong. THAT'S some power.
write letters, call in radio shows, write to the editor and politicians in your town or area and get some PRISON REFORM questions in
keep the faith everyone!
stay strong and stay focused
mary

sweetpea1986
08-24-2005, 08:16 PM
my boyfriend is in ther for trafficing cocaine and this is his first drug charge but been in jail and prision before.. they said its atleast 3 yrs mandatory... do yall have any idea on what he might get?

momi2three
11-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Husbands 1st offense, set up by someone who was in lots of trouble, agents had snitch ask for large amount and amount is what you get sentenced for, not record, not past, not even present facts of case. Charges were trumped up to 13 felonies( because trafficking has 4 parts to it)Trafficking is named because of weight. Husband had 5 MILLION DOLLAR bond- unheard of even for murder- lies were told in court, discovery and newspaper(why, if it was such a open and shut case on guilt)NO DRUGS EVER found, facing 36 years based on mandatory minimum for weight of drugs told by snitch- 12 of the 13 were dropped at last minute( obviously never had a case ) And husband was forced to take plea for last remaining charge. Even if there are lies and no evidence- defendants with no high priced attorney are forced to choose between the huge risk of trial and doing the 36 years or telling yourself 3 is better than the risk. Never been in trouble before, but now serving 3 mandatory years on this BULL! Snitch got all his charges- 20 some felonies gone or lessened and is walking free. Oh, and gets paid to do this on a regular.

adbrick
11-10-2005, 10:08 AM
My husband was sentenced to 15 years hard labor for possession with intent to distribute marijuana in the state of Louisiana. He is a first time non-violent offender. He will have to serve 1/3 or 5 years before elgible for parole. The sentencing guidelines for his crime were 18 - 36 months. Pre-Sentencing report recommended 18 months. Judge took it upon himself to sentence my husband to the max allowable 15 years. We are looking at a sentence reduction hearing before the end of the year.

I have a family member who was convicted of the same crime but under the feds. He was also was considered a 1st time offender. He was sentenced to 18 months fed time.

The same crime, two very different outcomes.

sierrasryder
12-07-2005, 01:27 PM
My son has been sitting in jail for two months (no bond) now waiting for a court date for two meth mfg charges; first one is 2nd degree and the second one is 1st degree. He stupidly got the second charge while out on bond for the first one. His lawyer told my husband and I yesterday that he is waiting for the prosecutor to make an offer for resolving all the cases. He also had a couple possessions. I know he's in big trouble, but does anyone have any idea what kind of sentence he is looking at? We're in Alabama. In both cases, no one was mfg at the time, there were no search warrants, and no drugs were found either time. My son was in the house with three other people both times. Cops found some mfg paraphanalia (sp?) in the garbage can. Other than traffic tickets, the past two years have been a nightmare with this drug. I am so worried that he'll go to prison for a very long time. My 11 yr granddaughter has lived with us for the past three years since her mom and my son divorced. Our hearts are broken for her. He said he is done with that life and for the first time in two years, even though he's in jail, he said he feels safe. Ironic, isn't it?

Please keep us in your prayers .......

Hugs, Linda

witchlinblue
12-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Prayers for you and your family. That is so sad. I hope they are easy on him but these days its hard to know, especially with Meth. I'm glad he has parents like you who will raise his daughter with love. Welcome to PTO Linda.

Hugs,

Ericalex
12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Louisiana doesn't mess around do they Adbrick? My husband is doing 15 years for poss of X and LSD with intent to distribute in Louisiana. I guess he was lucky to have gotten that... if he would've went to trial and got convicted he would've gotten life (without parole). I don't understand how a person can face life in prison for drugs (no victim) and never have had a violent offense. Had he been in TX his time would've been a lot less.

missscorpio
12-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I agree, conspiracy is a joke. Just because you have drugs doesnt mean that you are going to sell them, they could be for personal use. In my case I was charged with possession, they never found any drugs, money, scales or anything. BUT conspiracy has me looking at 10 years min. federal time. 60 years seems very outrageous. I hope you plan to fight that crazy sentence. Good luck to you.

Blueyez94
12-27-2005, 02:20 PM
I have a friend who did 2yrs federal time for possesion of extasy and intent to distribute (mass quantities) He was on probation for 3yrs after the 2yrs served.

rick
12-27-2005, 03:38 PM
There are plenty of "victims" in the drug arena. That said I do think the sentences handed out are outrageous, and border on cruel and unusual.

pritybrown
12-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Wow, that is a lot of time....my fiance was a career offender and he got less time than that. Did your husband take it to trial? I know that is when they give the max if found guilty. They feel like you have wasted their time if you take it to trial and they try to bury you in the dirt for it. I feel like everyone has a right to a fair trial and should not be punished for it. Good luck to you both.

HardHeadedWoman
12-29-2005, 03:01 AM
My son was hooked on meth but never caught with it. he got charged with marijuana. possesion of it with intent to sell an within proximity of a school plus other charges from other datres and every time i went to his court hearings I always sat and listened to all the other cases and i dont know about your state but here the judges were pretty easy on the pop charges but they sure would bust your ass on any other hard drug charge. good luck in the outcome keep us posted

Danee Boy
12-29-2005, 01:31 PM
IMO; The drug sentencing laws are BS. I've seen a lot of guys upstate on a simple buy and bust doing 4 1/2 to 9 years. It's ridiclous.

NY even thinks they are BS. They recently "restructured" the rockefeller laws. Now some of the drug offenders are getting a supplemental parole board. This is a board coming up before the merit and regular parole board.

I didn't see one guy go home on a supplemental board. Because their mandated programs aren't completed before the board, or what ever reason the board comes up with.

IMO they should just let the guys go that were effected by the restructuring.

jason73125
01-07-2006, 10:59 PM
the drug laws here in texas are so unpredictable. i was raided along with my best friend A-rod. we were found in possession of 56 1/2 grams of cocaine. A-rod was a 3 time offender and likely looking at life without parole. i was a first time offender except for some minor weed charges i had picked up along the way in my lifetime. we were both charged with 56 1/2 grams of cocaine and engaging in organzied criminal activity and i got a case for assault on a peace officer. after talking with A-rod he agread to take the 56 grams that were found in the house and i took the 1/2 gram that they found in my car. i served 2 years in state jail on the cocaine charge and got 7 LONG years probation on the assault on a peace officer and we both got the organized crime charges droped. well when A-rod's case came to court they DA offered him 5 years tdc in a plea bargain and of course he took it. in texas at least i think it is because the system is over crowded they are just trying to clean them out as fast as possible.

witchlinblue
01-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Actually from the things Ive read and especially the more southern states, I think you and your friend got a pretty good deal. I know its tough but there are plenty on here that got more severe sentences with less and first offense. Im assuming you are home now ? Or have you not served yet ?
Either way, welcome to PTO and very glad you found us !! :)

mz.dorian
05-26-2006, 02:59 PM
10 yrs for mariajuana? In illinois thats going for a misdemeanor, depends on how much, but 10 years!!?

MrsShorty
05-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Yup....I think that it is really wrong how they can give several people 10 yrs probation and then decide to give 1 guy 7 yrs. 2 charges of 1-4 grams in a drug free zone was given 7 yrs!!!! He was never in trouble before in his life, 1st timer, and they give him 7 yrs. He took a deal to drop the 1 charge of less than a gram and said guilty to the 2 chrgs...but still they should have given him probation....now the guys they gave 10 yrs probation are already sitting in jail becuz they have already messed up!!!! GO FIG!!! I can't believe!! But, Life isn't fair!!!!!!!!!! Have faith and God will help you!

jsprincess
05-27-2006, 04:35 PM
60 years??!! you know this is all so out of line. thats ridiculouse. my boyfriend just got sentenced to 2 years state time for basically nothing. we got pulled over on the way to work in an unincorperated part of town at 6:30 in the morning, and they got him 4 under the influence, and poss of like 5 cents nothing.

walkintall
05-28-2006, 06:27 AM
another x- prisoner of war here. maybe i should apply for those purdy pow plates? war on drugs is reduculous. most noticable about reading all 3 pages here? 99.9% of all the cases here are all LOW level bs. where are the major players? funny you never see the big king pin type getting busted do you. harldy ever! all you see is low level street dealers who are most always users and sell to support their habbit. :no: after helping quite a few durring my stay with their cases the worst, most sad cases where the ones where the person wasn't a dealer at all. the one's where a "CI" would come make a buy with cash. the "dealer" would then take the cash and go make a BUY to maybe scrape some for himself or get some cash out of the deal. that imo is entraptment. you are CREATING a seller. the "CI" is committing the same crime as the "dealer" he's given cash to go BUY drugs. the "dealer" would then do the same. take that cash and go buy for the "CI". seen it time and time again. also, how about the drug task force (or what even they call it in your area) making multiple buys for larger amounts? i thought it was against the law to whitness a crime and not report it? they should make the bust when the FIRST crime is commited. it's the only "crime" i see this happen with. they don't say hmmm, the guy who robbed 1st. national bank, lets not bust him and see if he'll do it again. maybe he will rob THREE this time and we'll get him on a real good bust! lastly and just as much bs. is the weight calculations. if a person is busted with say 10 grams of heroin and it's 20% pure, doesn't he actually posess 2 grams of HEROIN? especially when there are minimum mandatory's involved and one is convicted by weight or quanity involved. having served 11 years in state, 2 in county, and about 3 in juvi, it's blatently obvious that it's all about $$. yes drugs are a huge eppidemic and i pray my now 4yo girl doesn't grow up to get involved . what else can be done? if you gave everyone 30 days it would never stop BUT law enforcement needs to play by the rules. the people who are facing prosecution are NOT the problem. giving a low level street dealer who's trying to support his/her habit or just trying to make some money to survive a rediculous sentence does NOTHING to help. as mentioned earlier in this discussion they are replaced by three more the minuite they are sentenced. something else to note. when i was incarcerated in NC. awaiting extradition to my home state here in ma. i was astounded by how many drug cases were "picked up" by the feds. this is unheard of here in ma. as mentioned above, i've spent more then a decade in state and can't recall ONE drug case picked up by the feds that was charged on a state level.

Eternal Hope
05-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Walkintall, you are correct in your assessment of the situation in NC, at least near the area where I live. This does go on, every day. Some 'officers' have been charged as well in the past 3 years....when substances were found to be removed from evidence rooms. Welcome to the Drug War forum!!!!!!

Matthew's_Angel
06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Sorry it's been so long since I've posted/updated our situation. My husband told them that he was guilty (he took the heat so that no one else would get into trouble). He said, "Go ahead and sentence me to 20 - 30 years. I'll sign off on it." But the prosecutor wouldn't. He said that he was going to take it to trial. So my husband had a court appointed attorney. I don't even think his attorney called any witnesses and maybe asked the prosecution's witnesses a dozen question total.

This November, my husband will be locked up for 9 years now on this one charge. We applied for a time reduction clemency last year and the parole board recommended it, but the Governor took "no action" on it. We reapplied this year. It is in the Governor's office now. He has up to 4 months to either approve, disapprove, or take "no action" on it. The secretary of the clemency program said that of the ones that the parole board recommended, the Governor might sign 2% of them. I think this pretty much proves that there isn't much justice in our system, it's all about the almighty dollar.

Yeah our Governor said the harsh sentences on these somewhat minor drug offenders are getting out of hand and that it's overcrowding our prisons. They don't even have room for the violent offenders. Apparently these are just words he is spewing from his mouth because my husband is still sitting in prison doing his 60 years.

Please, keep us in your prayers. Maybe this will be our year that our family and lives will be complete again.

Good luck to all.
Take Care!!

AriesMom
06-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Walkintall..I couldn't agree with you more. My daughter had similar situation. The CI was a "friend" who is still out working and using. She was a meth abuser and caught in the middle. First bust wasn't enough so the undercover went in for the larger amount. She stupidly allowed it all to happen in her apartment. She gets 7 years state time for first time offense and the dealer got same from his plea deal.

She is in Fl Doc and just sent me out a form stating she got 4 days time off her sentence because of a new law on certain mandatory sentences. Does anyone know anything about this? Attorney told us that there was no gain time for mandatory minimums but apparantly that is now changed. At least it's a start, we are now hoping to get sentence reduced but the Judge and DA are not likely to allow that..no money in it for them!!

She has another court date at the end of this month so would like to find out more before then.

summerssand24
06-06-2006, 09:14 AM
My fiances friend asked for a ride... he finally gave him a ride... he wasn't involved and has never done coke....but....they got busted and the drug dealer threw it in my fiances truck and ran....the police saw everything....and lied to him and said if he have a statement he would just get probation....because my boyfriend has never delt w/the law he was honest and told them everything they asked... and then they gave him 7 years. They said he has to serve 85 % but I am hoping there is a way he can get parole or work release or SOMETHING! I mean.... he has NO record and he has NEVER got in trouble....The problem is it was over 400 grams of coke they threw in there....so they won't let up on him... .the scrwed up thing is the other guys involved in the deal got the same thing...in fact...one is still walking...which REALLY gets me mad!!! GRRRR!!!! He's at Kirkland now...we are waiting to see where they will send him.

Eternal Hope
06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
My fiances friend asked for a ride... he finally gave him a ride... he wasn't involved and has never done coke....but....they got busted and the drug dealer threw it in my fiances truck and ran....the police saw everything....and lied to him and said if he have a statement he would just get probation....because my boyfriend has never delt w/the law he was honest and told them everything they asked... and then they gave him 7 years. They said he has to serve 85 % but I am hoping there is a way he can get parole or work release or SOMETHING! I mean.... he has NO record and he has NEVER got in trouble....The problem is it was over 400 grams of coke they threw in there....so they won't let up on him... .the scrwed up thing is the other guys involved in the deal got the same thing...in fact...one is still walking...which REALLY gets me mad!!! GRRRR!!!! He's at Kirkland now...we are waiting to see where they will send him.

I feel you on this. I know he wishes he never ever gave this 'friend' a ride anywhere! Did he speak to the police before he got a court appointed/hired attorney? Over 400 grams is a lot of coke. Any chance at appeal? I suppose they are going on the fact that he did not have to take this 'friend' over there, but still it is unfair in my opinion. Please keep us posted!

ivorymarie
06-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Well my boyfriend went to jail for posession of crack/cocaine. He had 5 $5.00 bags on him which really isn't much.The police said intent to sell. He used the personal use story. He was going to go to trial but knew that if he lost he would be facing 9 years. So he plea bargained for a 3 to 6 year sentence. Went to drug treatment program for six months got kicked out in the last week. Hes been in jail a little over 3 years but he will be home very soon. July 24 here we come.

precioustree
07-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Hey all....My husband is in jail now waiting to be sentenced by the feds. (He has already violated his state probation and was given a 9 year sentence..with good time he might have to do 3.) My question is this...I was told that the feds sentence differently than the state. That they use a point system based on your past criminal history. Does anyone know if this is true? Or is time given out based on the crime??? He is accused of conspiracy with intent to distribute crack cocaine...9 counts of it..with 2 of the counts more than 50 grams......

pristock230
07-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Yes the difference between state and fed setence is very different. My daughters father got a 3 year sentence for selling to a undercover and a whle bunch of other charges, now I know a person in the same situation and he got 12 years in the feds

Abslady
07-06-2006, 12:32 AM
walkintall.......

I could not have said it better myself! My husband did have a bad "METH" problem and he never got caught with any. The "FEDS" took him at gun point from his mothers house where he lived to my apartment and searched my apartment! We were having trouble at the time so I went to live with my sister! I had just come to his mothers to stay because I had just come home from the hospital the day before from having our second son! They never found any "METH" in my apartment but someone told them it was there! They tore it up and I got kicked out ! I don't know what went on there while I was in the hospital, I had given him the key's to put in my A.C. before I brought the baby home! I lived there for 3 months and he may have stayed the night twice in 3 months. How is that living there????:angry: I guess when you are the law your above the laws!!!

stayinstrong
07-06-2006, 02:59 AM
its scary.. like you gotta search people before they come in your ome car or life that matter.. you ar ein my prayers

Eternal Hope
07-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Precioustree, welcome to PTO and The Drug War Forum. As some have already said, sentences do vary. You may also want to stop by our Federal Forum as well. There is a lot of information there also. Again, welcome to PTO, and please keep us posted!!!

Umm Aby
07-17-2006, 02:50 PM
1st of all................The whole system is in a mess! it aint working at all...all these tougher sentencing and so on aint working!....some truly deserve to spend sometyme in solitude, so that they may reflect! but passing down 24yrs-60yrs is just too extreme! what will they give to murders?

the other thing is that,this is breaking our society, they are taking fathers away and turning mothers into single parents! most might start claimin benefit, and u know aw much it cost to keep someone incarerated per day? they are turning, especially black communities, into one parent household, children are groowing up without their fathers around, some of them will grow up to be horrible...and will blame it on them having no firm, father figure.......all this is like goin round in a circle! it leads to increased cost for the state, welfare system and tax payers!..............

see, again, they take care of medical bills and differnent thing, when these people could be working and pumping some money back into the economy!.....24 years for a lttle crime is jus not acceptable! its wasting time and creating more anger in peoples mind! the justice system aint right....it shud be reviewed and change shud be made!.

My husband to be was sentenced to max 24yrs!, estimated release date is not applicable..so no one knows when he's out, bin inn for 6yrs!.....the crime was 'SALE OF NARC/AMPHET BY NON-DEPENDENT F'
The said, he sold $20 coc to an under cover cop in a bar twice...mind u, no video evidence was prvided, it was said that, the cop is very reliable and trustworthy and cause mu hubby had an history.....this history was when he was 20...10 yrs before he got sent down! now..he is 35, imagine bin judged due to ur past....

Abslady
07-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Umm Aby... I hear you on that ! I could not have said it better myself. My oldest son has become a totally different child since his daddy got locked up. At times I don't know if I can handle him. He is seven now and his daddy wont get out of Federal Prison until 2010 then he will probably have to go to jail for a State Probation Violation. Once again I ask who is really being punished?? I guess the people who make all the rules have never had someone they loved taken from them this way!

Miss My Brother
07-19-2006, 09:37 PM
i've spent more then a decade in state and can't recall ONE drug case picked up by the feds that was charged on a state level.

Guess what? My brother was sentenced 3 years in one court, 4 in the other and now that his time is up (last October) the feds decided to charge him in federal court for the SAME CRIME. For starters the state time was ran consecutively. He will be sentenced next Monday in Fed court to over 20 more years

ammie50315
07-22-2006, 05:47 AM
this s**k should not charge him 2 time for the some crime if u what someone to talk to email me ..........................................
ammie

Miss My Brother
07-27-2006, 10:45 PM
PEORIA - The former president of the Chicago chapter of the Hells Angels motorcycle club was sentenced to about 10 years in prison for his part in a multi-year racketeering and narcotics ring.
The 111-month sentence handed down Monday afternoon was still well below the sentencing guidelines of more than 20 years for Melvin "Road" Chancey, 38, of suburban Chicago.
Article (http://www.pjstar.com/stories/072506/TRI_BAFSCEBF.064.shtml)

Ok. That same day in the same court my bro got262 months less time serverd, 38 mos for conspiring to manufacture meth. Over 10 years difference. He had enhancements and a prior (actulally only relavent condut) But wow in the difference

missbklyncutie
08-05-2006, 09:27 AM
My man a direct sale crack cocaine (1) to a cop. He had $10 in marked money He had already been upstate before nothing drug realated the offer was 2 - 4 or trial and face 4 1/2 - 9. Need I say it, he took the deal. He has been in 11 months and is up for his supplemental merit in November 2006. He has completed all his mandated programs and is currently working outside clearance and in the outside clearance dorm. I have HOPE! I am proud of him he did all he could to get home to me as soon as possible now it is up to them, so I pray!

mizzy
08-06-2006, 09:14 PM
My story... My dad was under investigation by the FBI. Dont know how they got to know about him, but they were following him for months through different states were he was dealing. All the phones were tapped and the feds had installed a GPS in his truck without him knowing, also they will come and visit his apartment(we had an apt in NY) while he wasn't at home. For months they were plotting till one day they got him real good. They caught him making a transaction and they also said that he had more than $20,000 worth or coke in street value. He got caught right in town so they brought in back home to raid the house(nothing was found). Not being his first drug offense (2nd time), already was deported and was here illegaly and with all the evidence the feds had the minimum we were looking at was 20 yrs. Also since they caught him in town they brought up charges in our town like, selling within 20ft of school grounds and a load of bullsh*t. Since the towns charges weren't that serious compared to the federal charges the town charges were dropped.
He waited 1 yr in state prison before his trial, and when the day finally came all of his family was in court. We cried, wrote letters to the judge, and testified in court. While in front of the judge he apologized to us for his criminal behavior. It was a hard moment in life, we didnt know what to expect and it was hard seing my dad in front of a judged being label as a notorious criminal and drug dealer. In his home all he did was encourage us to go to school and do right. Whatever he was doing with drugs had nothing to do with any of his children or family because he was so strict of a person. After all, he got 5 years and its going to be deported back to Dominican Republic after serving his time. The 1 year he did in state prison will go towards his time. I think we were very lucky to get 5 yrs and he'll be out latest date release Sept. 2008. I thank GOD everyday for the way things turned out.
His bestfriend that was also involved in everything he got charged with got 5 yrs too, but instead of going to fed prison they sent him to a camp. After a yr he might be able to get into a drug program cause this was his 1st offense.

irshnrse
11-11-2006, 03:31 PM
My husband got 20 state years for a piece of plastic. Then they used that against him and filed federal conspiracy charges. Now he will be sentenced in January and is facing 30 yrs to life---federal.:blah:

nestes
11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
In Missouri the sentencing laws are a joke. There is no truth in sentencing, for the same crime one person gets 10 years, the other 10 days in county for a class B Felony of manufacturing, now how do you suppose that happens.

mommy721
11-26-2006, 03:49 PM
My husband and his brother were arrested by the feds in April 2005. The feds had set up a sting on his brother and had been watching him for 6 months. When the day came when they raided our house they arrested my husband and brother in law. Both were charged w/ conspiracy to distribute less than 50 grams of crack cocaine. Apparantly there is a min. mandatory of 121 months for that charge. My brother in law was given 127 months while my husband was given 121. The part that really gets me is that all of the deals that were made were video taped and not one of the tapes includes my husband. It was more than obvious that he did not have a role in it like his brother did. I wrote letters to the judge hoping for some type of break in sentencing since I was 5 months pregnant at the time. No such luck! Although she gave him the minimum I still feel that he was not sentanced fairly. I think the government needs to rewrite their drug sentencing laws. It seems ridiculous that rapist and child molesters get less time. So I agree w/ everyone that has said the drug laws are a joke!

Mariposita2oo4
11-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Babies' dad was at a house that was "hot". Now we know that the guys that lived there were actually cut a deal..ya know..snitch out a # of ppl to get off easier on their own case. He was already on papers. Cops show up, raid that house, search everybody, didn't find anything on him, but supposedly he had tickets. On his way to jail, other cops were on their way to his house. They had no search warrant so they scared his mom into letting them search. They said they would take her house away from her if she didn't let them search and a lot of other stuff. She let them in, and they searched his room. They did find some Meth and MJ. On their way out they told her to sign a paper to make it look like they did everything by the book. Now he's charged with Manufacturing/Delivery of a Controlled Substance and POSSESSION of MJ. 5 years for CS and 9 months for MJ. Now, how is someone charged with a charge like that when he wasn't making or delivering it and not even there when they found the stuff? Why weren't both just Possession? Oh, and the gun they found and took is not mentioned anywhere. :rolleyes: Crooked system!

tami2303
11-28-2006, 10:53 PM
That seems excessive for only 3 grams my husband is serving 6 for class X and he even has a long arrest sheet

Goodgirl2007
01-07-2007, 09:38 PM
I totally agree with you. I have a boyfriend that was sentenced to 27 years to TDCJ. He was pulled over for a traffice violation and a witness on the 3rd floor of the building were he was pulled over at, accused him of throwing a plastic bag out of the window. How can that be so. There were no figure prints and how can you see that far. We took the case to trial and lost. They offered him 17 years, but we just knew we were going to win trial. He has bee in for 3 years in March. He comes up for Parole in July 2007. I am not sure if he will make his first parole, he has a altercation back in July 2006. But they are releasing inmates with drug charges. What do you guys think about this?

God bless each and every one including there loved ones

goatboy, just because you are a convicted felon doesn't make you a bad person.People mess up, they pay the price,and they have to learn to live with it.Don't give up on a good paying job.There is one out there and there are people who beleive in giving others second chances.Keep praying for that! God will lead the way!!
My husband is in for trafficking.We were very suprised at the sentence he got.It was his first offense,but that doesn't matter anymore.They are only looking at the thought of getting drugs off the street and some DA's making a name for themselves.
We are blessed that the state prosecuted him.God is working miricles in our lives so we have him to thank.If my husband had not been arrested he would probally(sp) be dead now.I would rather be without him for a little while than never be able to see him again.Drugs do kill,and people do kill for drugs.Drugs take good people and turn them into something you can't reconise.This is my 2 cent's!!

Never give up on them!!!!

Rainbozz
04-17-2007, 02:19 AM
After readiing some of the sentences imposed on some people, they definately seem excessive. especially first time offenders, I think they could benefeit more through a substance abuse program,if they are truly remorseful for their mistake, I just don't see how it helps to take a parent away from their family, and put in prison for 60 yrs or something,when they can be given a huge wake up call instead.
Also i agree that child molesters,rapist,and some murderers don't even get that tough of a sentence,the time should fit the crime.

kktx
04-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Louisiana doesn't mess around do they Adbrick? My husband is doing 15 years for poss of X and LSD with intent to distribute in Louisiana. I guess he was lucky to have gotten that... if he would've went to trial and got convicted he would've gotten life (without parole). I don't understand how a person can face life in prison for drugs (no victim) and never have had a violent offense. Had he been in TX his time would've been a lot less.

I agree with the time not equaling the crime but to say there is no victim is wrong. Drugs affect everyone whether or not you have anything to do with them. there needs to be an across the board sentence for different levels and get stiffer each time. the people in law enforcement have to much power.

i love donovan
04-24-2007, 01:09 AM
My husband got a 20 year sentence with a 5 year mandatory.He has served 6 years and 2 months and no writeups and got denied 2 times for an earlier parole date.He made work release status back in August.We will see in May if they will get him an earlier date if not he will have it in November 2007..He has taken every class ADOC offers.But, we are not going to give up!!!