View Full Version : SCI-Fayette

jenpalmer71
10-07-2004, 08:08 PM
SCI-Fayette
50 Overlook Drive
LaBelle, PA 15450-1050
(724)364-2200
Fax: (724)364-2208

SCI-Fayette is the Commonwealth's 26th correctional facility. Using the most recent advances in prison design and construction, this 2,000-bed prison is one of the most state-of-the-art facilities in Pennsylvania's state correctional system.

SCI-Fayette holds 53 acres inside the perimiter's fence, and 692,000 square footage under the roof. SCI-Fayette is committed to ensuring the public's safety, and the safe and humane incarceration of offenders.

Key Staff
Harry E. Wilson, Superintendent

Mark A. Krysevig, Deputy Superintendent for Facilities Management

Linda D. Harris, Deputy Superintendent for Centralized Services

Carol Scire, Superintendent's Assistant

Michael Oppman, Business Manager

egs
08-25-2005, 12:18 PM
I checked thru most of the PA Forum threads but couldn't find much about SCI-Fayette. I read the little information that is on the PA DOC website but would like to hear from others about this prison.

My "Ex-man" was transferred there on Monday--he didn't even get done with classification but b/c he was a thorn in the administration's side at Camp Hill, they moved him none-the-less and of course to the other side of the State from his elderly and ill father. I really don't much care about his location [he definitely is responsible for his return to prison, and all that goes with it], but I feel sorry for his dad.

I read the visiting info. but there was nothing there about limitations on number of visits/week or month. Or, can one do back-to-back visits in the same week [i.e. Friday and Saturday]. Anyone know anything about that? If I need to take his dad there to visit, this info. would be useful.

Thanks in advance for any info.!!!

debi121658
10-28-2005, 09:04 AM
hi my brother is up at fayette i think they can have weekend visits twice a month im not real sure but u can call up there

missingzach
01-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Here is a link that tells you the rules for visiting SCI Fayette. Hope this helps!

http://www.cor.state.pa.us/fayette/cwp/view.asp?a=426&q=129489&fayetteNav=|

exincarcerated
02-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I would just like to add that I did visit Fayette on two occasions. The guards were really nice. No problems whatsoever. Also, one even gave me shorter directions to the facility that I had.

I saw many and I mean MANY people which I observed to be engaging in hugging, kissing, leaning on each other, some females actually sitting on their guy, (nothing lewd) and an atmosphere of calm. It's one big room where everyone sits in these chairs that are hooked together, like in some physicians' offices. The guards are up higher in the front. Both of my experiences were fine.

They do check cars for contraband at times. I just missed getting my car sniffed by the drug dog, but met it in the hallway and commented to the two guards walking him/her that your drug doggie needs a diet. They both stopped and laughed for a couple seconds.

All in all, it was a positive experience. I dressed appropriately, and conducted myself in a correct manner. That's all you need to do.

krainium
03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I went there recently to visit my husband. Exincarcerated is correct, the guards are very respectful. My husband and I were hugged up most of the visit and the guards were fine with it at one point I fell asleep on his arm. I didn't observe anyone doing anything lewd or inappropriate but there weren't that many people there and the gurad called it crowded! There were maybe 16 inmates in the room and approx. 40 civilians, the guard told me if you come during the week they'll be no one here. (I was there on a Saturday) There's a seperate section for children with games, videos to watch with a play area the place is very clean unlike some other prisons. All in all it was a descent experience.

Kfrombmore
06-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I need the phone ## to fayette please email me diaseyduke2008@aol.com... for some reason when i try to send messages they dont go thru

egs
06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
STATE CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION FAYETTE
50 Overlook Drive
LaBelle, Pennsylvania 15450-1050
Telephone: (724) 364-2200 FAX: 724-364-2208

Not sure what you mean that messages you send don't go thru!
We are not allowed to publically post email addresses, nor respond to them, either.

Kfrombmore
06-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Does Anyone Know The Phone # Up There? And Is There Anyone Visiting From Baltimore, Md.

Kfrombmore
06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
ARE THE INMATES ALOUD TO HAVE PACKAGES?MY HUBBY WAS MOVED THERE ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE BEFORE THEY CAN HAVE A VISIT??AND AGIAN DOES ANYONE GO TO VISIT FROM BALTIMORE ,MD IT WOULD BE NICE IF I CAN FIND SOMEONE TO GET A RIDE WITH I DO NOT DRIVE AND WE HAVE TWO KIDS TOGTHER IT WOULD BE NICE IF HE CAN SEE THEM..I WOULD SPLIT THE GAS MONEY IF NEEDED.. THANK YOU KELLY

krainium
06-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Kelly, the best help I can give you on transportation is www.phillyvan.com (http://www.phillyvan.com). they go to fayette twice per month there's about 5 pick up spots in philly where you take the van. it leaves like 1 or 2 in the morning and it's a long ride (about 5.5 to 6 hours from philly) Maybe to could take the train up from b-more and get on the van from there, I hope it works out.

jayg0613
06-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I honestly have had very good experiences with the guards while visiting there. The family member I was visiting spent almost 2 and a half years at Fayette and didn't have much to say that was negative about the guards – or the staff in general – kind of weird for an ex-prisoner. Anyway, the place smelled like disinfectant and was shiny-new compared to Eagleville. I guess that's the "modern" PA penal experience?

The prison system is extreme, and extreme things tend to happen under extreme conditions, but...

Based on what I've seen (in general) if you act respectfully and comply with the rules (you won't get slack at any SCI on this), the guards seem to be very... dare I say... polite, professional and even... understanding. I've seen other visitors admonished, banned and / or ejected – but on each occasion, it was done with an odd clinically scripted, respectful manner. The guards weren't messing around, but they sounded more like representatives at a complaints department than anything else. It was a strange feeling; being "served" by the Prison System – certainly night and day in comparison to the sadistic and erratic behavior my family experienced at Graterford.

Someone is training them up there. Either that, or they're getting paid pretty well.

CAREBOOBEAR
08-14-2008, 02:44 PM
I must agree that the whole Fayette experience is pretty nice! I have been visiting there for about 2 years now.....7 more to go. As long a you follow the rules you don't have any problems.

YourGirlie27
09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I have registered with Prison talk but I can't figure out how to get an email to my friend who is an inmate there? Can anyone help with this? Thanks
:confused:

msonlydabest
09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi, YourGirlie27 (http://prisontalk.com/forums/member.php?u=161247)... PTO is a support system in which you can get info about the prison and just support in general...what your talking about is www.inmatemail.com (http://www.inmatemail.com/) ...thats where you can send your loved one emails...he wont be able to email you back but he ll get them within the same day or the next....personally I dont use them at the jail my man is at we use jpay....so I hope that answers your questions

lizmeeno
01-09-2009, 12:03 AM
does anybody know if sergical steel piercings will make it through the fayette metal detector?

tlshaul11
01-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I visited SCI Fayette 3 times while my husband was incarcerated there. Great experiences every time! I never had any problems with my piercings going off in the metal detector.

feliciayanak
02-07-2010, 07:49 PM
i have a question my boyfriend was taking up to fayette sci in labelle and he suppose to be getting sentenced within the next 2 weeks and i want to write him so bad havent heard from him and its driving me crazy i mean when i called up there he hasnt even been processed does that matter? and what address do i use..i would love some answers asap thank you so much

Miseria227
02-07-2010, 09:38 PM
John Doe #XX5555 (his name and inmate #)
SCI Fayette
Box 9999
La Belle, PA 15450-0999

I live in West Chester, PA and it takes about 4 days for my guy's letters to get to me. If you don't know his inmate #, go to the DOC's website and use the inmate locator (only works with Microsoft IE), enter his name and it'll tell you his number. His name and number have to be on the same line or else the letter will just 'disappear.' Mine didn't even get returned to me when I made that mistake.

Hope this helps you!

ButterFliez
06-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Have found the visits at fayette to be very nice guards are courteous and respectful

softshoulders
09-02-2011, 07:13 AM
:):)Have found the visits at fayette to be very nice guards are courteous and respectful

i heard fayette was hard to get to; way out hidden in the middle of nowhere

stevesmom66
09-02-2011, 03:09 PM
My first trip to Fayette was wild to say the least. Yes it's definitely 23 miles to left of BFE. LOL but once you get there it IS a nice place as far as prisons go. I took the ferry across the river and decided to try and find my way out following GPS alternate route, seriously, have you seen the movie Deliverance, or Wrong Turn? LOL Will definitely take an extra 7 bucks for the ferry BOTH ways from now on.

softshoulders
09-07-2011, 08:47 PM
hello again:)
i live on the other side of ohio and since i have heard that the fayette prison is hard to get to, if anyone is going that way, could i ride, with, will pay gas and help drive, my loved one is in there, been a long time since we even saw each other..just wondering,

softshoulders
09-07-2011, 08:48 PM
My first trip to Fayette was wild to say the least. Yes it's definitely 23 miles to left of BFE. LOL but once you get there it IS a nice place as far as prisons go. I took the ferry across the river and decided to try and find my way out following GPS alternate route, seriously, have you seen the movie Deliverance, or Wrong Turn? LOL Will definitely take an extra 7 bucks for the ferry BOTH ways from now on.

what is BFE???

softshoulders
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
omg , wrong turn, that movie scared me so much that i fainted and well, nm; but what is BFE???

softshoulders
09-07-2011, 08:55 PM
thinking outloud here...i have had to take buses and trains so often to get to my family at christmas, just plain exhausted of it, but thats why i need to connect up with someone to get there for a visit! If i am coming from west of ohio out of state, which would be best, to go to pittsburgh and find a connector there, or is it better to go to philadelphia? Tia

stevesmom66
09-12-2011, 11:35 AM
From Ohio most definitely Pittsburgh, SCI Fayette is only about 45 mins to an hour from the 'Burgh. Oh and sorry BFE = Bum F&^cked Egypt, just a saying is all.

nekom
09-26-2011, 11:05 AM
I just wanted to post here that I live right by SCI Fayette, just wanted to post this in case it is able to help someone. I took the tour when they opened it and I know a few people that work there. I don't know anyone locked up there, so I'm not familiar with any of the protocols or procedures in there but if anyone needs to know anything about the area, don't hesitate to ask.

It is in the middle of BFE for sure, there is absolutely NOTHING near it, not so much as a gas station or deli, so be prepared for that. If you need lodging, you'll have to most likely make your way to Uniontown or Washington. The same pretty much goes if you're hungry, though there are some eateries and gas stations in nearby Brownsville. There are a few buildings in Browsville that say Hotel on them, but they are not, they are just bars that were hotels 50 years ago and never changed their name/sign.

Best way in: You're basically going to need to find Brownsville along Route 40. If you're coming from East or West, take 70 to 43 south (toll road) to 40 U.S. 40 East, and Brownsville is just a stone's throw away down the hill and across the bridge. If you're coming from North or South, 79 will take you to 70 East then same thing, take 43 South, the sign should say to "California University" and maybe it says Brownsville as well, I don't remember off hand. 43 North says Pittsburgh, don't take that way.

From U.S. 40 Eastbound take the first exit after the bridge in Brownsville then make a left at the stop sign. Westbound take the last exit before that bridge, then make a left and loop around under the bridge. Either way you'll be on Market St. in Brownsville. Go through one red light then make a right before the large gray bank building. This will take you under another bridge and you should have railroad tracks directly to your right. Follow this road until it hooks left then back right and leads out of Brownsville toward La Belle. CAUTION! They are building a bridge over this road as part of the new Mon/Fayette expressway, so you're likely to run into road work. After about 5 miles you'll see Maxwell off to the right, there is a lock and dam there there and railroad tracks. Bear left and keep up the hill. You'll pass a Post Office and a fire department. That's La Belle. Don't blink or you'll miss it. Go through town then back down a hill until the main road hooks left. Were you to go straight, you'd wind up at the ferry which still operates but it's kind of sketchy. Anyway follow the main road left down a VERY winding road until you reach the prison on your right about a mile from that intersection. You really can't miss it, it's the ONLY thing out there.

If you need anything in the area, Uniontown has you covered. In Uniontown (half hour on U.S. 40 East out of Brownsville) you may find: Super 8 Motel, Holiday Inn, Sheetz, Applebees, Ruby Tueday, Fayette County Courthouse, Super Wal-Mart, Super K-Mart, Super Target, many of the usual fast food places (LJS, McD, BK, etc), pretty much anything you need. In La Belle you will find absolutely nothing besides the prison.

Hope this helps someone.

Judi-4
01-21-2012, 04:15 PM
My husband was recently transferred to Fayette(home jail), which is 270 miles (1-way) from home :eek:. How do those of you that live far from Fayette manage the distance w/o it costing a fortune? Beyond the cost, the time it would take would consume most of the day given that it would take 10 hours to drive round trip. I would love to get him back into this area into some place like Waymart, which would only be an hour away. How can I go about getting him back home? I would never be able to manage a trip of that distance either financially or physically. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Also, how often are they allowed to phone home? We write letters everyday but I only get them in bunches 2 or 3 days a week. What's up with that? I am still learning how everything works. Judi

stevesmom66
01-21-2012, 07:02 PM
My husband was recently transferred to Fayette(home jail), which is 270 miles (1-way) from home :eek:. How do those of you that live far from Fayette manage the distance w/o it costing a fortune? Beyond the cost, the time it would take would consume most of the day given that it would take 10 hours to drive round trip. I would love to get him back into this area into some place like Waymart, which would only be an hour away. How can I go about getting him back home? I would never be able to manage a trip of that distance either financially or physically. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Also, how often are they allowed to phone home? We write letters everyday but I only get them in bunches 2 or 3 days a week. What's up with that? I am still learning how everything works. Judi
Hi Judi :)
My son is at Fayette, luckily for me it's only about 2 hours one way for me. My son is permitted to use the phone every day, as far as mail, they only get and can send mail out Monday through Friday.