View Full Version : SCI-Frackville

jenpalmer71
10-07-2004, 08:10 PM
SCI-Frackville
1111 Altamont Boulevard
Frackville, PA 17931-2699
(570)874-4516

Opened in 1987, SCI-Frackville is a maximum-security institution for male offenders.

Key Staff
Robert D. Shannon, Superintendent

Marirosa Lamas, Deputy Superintendent for Centralized Services

David Varano, Deputy Superintendent for Facilities Management

Joseph Dorzinsky, Business Manager

Peter Damiter III, Superintendent's Assistant

Thomas Kowalsky, Personnel Director

CastleDreamer
12-12-2004, 08:22 PM
MY fiance is in Frackville. He said it is very different from where he was before. And he's right. It is very different that's for sure. Patrick's Peaches

amanda8088
09-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Hi Everyone!
I just joined PTO, and have a friend at Frackville. I think he must be in a cell, as it is Maximum. Are all of them in cells, single or some double? Also, what are the prison conditions like there?
My friend has a lot of pride, and he would never complain about anything! Plus, I recently met him. Any info. would be greatly appreciated! You have a great site here, and I hope to meet some of you!

Thank you all!

Amanda8088

amanda8088
09-15-2005, 08:39 AM
:confused: :confused: Hello CastleDreamer!

Can you please share with me what your impression is of Frackville? I am familiar with Texas prisons and those conditions. I just need to know for now if they are all in cells. I don't know about his phone privileges, or what company they use.
He has been there for years, although he is young. I know he does have a job in the morning, rec twice a day, and does artwork and goes to college. We just started writing and I don't want to be too intrusive. I can imagine the food is lousy.... I guess that is it for now! Thanks so much, if you are willing to tell me your impressions of Frackville!

Amanda8088:) :) :) :)

billssister2004
12-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Prisoners Complain
Administrators Ignore
By: Elas Mason

They Fear a Challenge
The Pennsylvania prison system has a directive called DC-ADM 804. (http://www.prisoners.com/dc-adm804.pdf)It supposedly creates procedures allowing prisoners to grieve problems and injustices. Admittedly the grievance procedure is arcane, difficult and even draconian, but, if administrators used it in good faith, problems and tensions within the prisons could easily be reduced.
Regretably, prison administrators refuse to apply the system in good faith. Like bullies everywhere, they're terrified of looking weak. As the administrators see it, it would be weakness to acknowledge a problem and correct it. Their whole effort, therefore is to frustrate and subvert the system.
The prison system is rife with petty tyrants. Take the sergeant at the Frackville state prison. A cigarette puffing addict, he habitually delays calling men to their visits. (http://www.prisoners.com/fv130204.html)In his mind that displays his power and impresses upon the prisoners that they are weaker than he is. Such defective egos aren't unusual. Prison employees tend to be psychologically maladjusted.
Most serious prison problems start as small, easily resolved matters. Instead of resolving the small thing, insecure prison administrators feel the need to frustrate grievances.

System Not Designed To Really Work
The state prison at Frackville in eastcentral Pennsylvania may be the worst, but the grievance procedures are frustrated across the whole system. Prison administrators don't intend for it to work. Prisoners realize that reality so they seldom bother to even try. They take matters into their own hands. Such dangerous disorder is the very thing that the grievance system was supposed to avert.

Paying For State's Phone Messages
Consider the charges the prison system imposes on prisoners' telephone calls. Admittedly, the prison telephone system is a racket. While everybody else pays less than half a buck, a 15 minute call costs about $6.50! It's money paid not by the prisoner, but by the impoverished prisoner's family.
To add further expense and irritation, the prison system interrupts every call with frequent announcements, 5 in 15 minutes. The prisoner or the party he's calling must pay for the interruptions.
Various prisoners have complained about the clearly unconstitutional practice. Jon at the Huntingdon prison was denied relief. Prison Superintendent Robert Shannon at the Frackville prison told a complaining prisoner: "I do not agree with your contention that your rights are being violated." In spite of the Supreme Court case, Wooley v Maynard, 430 US 705, 97 SCt 1428, 51 LEd2d 752, the Superintendent thinks that it's okay for a citizen to be charged to publish the state's messages.

Breaking the Law To Cause Personal Problems
Systemic and system-wide problems aren't the only ones which are handles illegally. The Pennsylvania prison system holds the law in contempt. Consider the federal law which mandates the confidentiality of medical information, (42 USC 1177(2) and (3)). A woman at the Frackville prison, Barbara G. Malewski repeatedly released medical information (http://www.prisoners.com/fv101203.html)about a prisoner. Before the prisoner could sue, he had to go through the prison grievance ordeal. Prison administrators simply refused to address the complaint.
The same woman, Barbara Malewski, refused to honor a prisoner's request for accommodation under the federal Americans With Disabilities Act, a law intended to help disabled persons cope with everyday life. When the prisoner submitted the grievance required by prison directive DC-ADM 006, (http://www.prisoners.com/dc-admO06.pdf)a person named Jerry Pritchitt simply refused to process the grievance. The prison system refuses to address (or remedy) both systemic and personal problems. The Malewski woman, for example responds with hearsay, a recital of what someone has told her the prisoner may have done. A solution is farthest from the result.

Prison Administrators Are Afraid The prison grievance system fails because of the personality of the prison staff. (http://www.prisoners.com/smithgvs.html)They rely on shifting blame and avoiding responsibility. They are too afraid to act in good faith or even to obey their own laws or rules. To solve a problem would be an admission that a problem exists. In a system as badly broken and decrepit as the Pennsylvania prison system, any admission of a fault might bring down the whole corrupt edifies. The mentality is one of revenge and vindictiveness. Prison administrators deny problems. To do otherwise would force them to confront the dilemma of their own inadequacy.

billssister2004
12-13-2005, 09:21 AM
More painful reality.. http://www.prisoners.com/fracks.html

jeremiahmissed
05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Two guards were just let go. I hear they beat some prisioner up and knocked his eye out of the socket. They are starting to crack down on the bad guards.

sabina
05-10-2007, 09:00 AM
From what I have been able to find out, Frackville is one of the worst PA prisons. Some guards are decent and others are not--like everywhere. The conditions at Frackville are bad--nasty food and not much of it, substandard medical, and write-ups for anything they can dream up. Some guys got transferred there because their old prison was being renovated. So they were transferred from a medium security facility to a max. Really sucks. Anyway, I wish you and yours the best. Stay strong.

Sabina

tucker07
10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
my boo has less than two months in Frackville. He told me when he gets home , he is gonna tell me some stories. I used to be scared to go up there, b/c I heard they don't like Blacks. I am black/white and Danny is Spanish/Black. The guards on a Monday are pretty decent, and they let you get away with ALOT!!! at visitation.

sabina
10-05-2007, 01:31 PM
I guess I must be visiting on the wrong day! lol! When I have gone for a visit they were strict and very watchful. If fact, they ended one woman's visit and took her man back inside and he ended up in the hole for 90 days. He had his hand under her shirt. So, we just mind our p's and q's and don't get into any trouble. Hopefully he will be out in 10/08! Can't wait!

antsamore
03-30-2010, 06:09 PM
My hubby & I are counting down to his 4/23/10 max out date. With 25 days to go, he decided he would refuse a urine test, figuring the worst thing they could do is give him a misconduct (he's already in RHU!). Now they say (as they were laughing) they can hold/release him till midnight on 4/23, instead of letting him out at 8:00am. Is this true? Does anyone know what the official policy is?

angeleyes27
05-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Does anyone that has loved ones in Frackville still come to this thread? I am looking for some new people to chat with.

ALR2010
07-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Does anyone that has loved ones in Frackville still come to this thread? I am looking for some new people to chat with.
I have a loved one at Frackville, and I'm going there to visit for the first time the beginning of August, so we'll see how it goes. Have you been there to visit?

Waiting2011
07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey I just had my 1st visit in Frackville on Sat. July 3. It was nice other then getting lost going there they say the prision is right off the exit it is not right off the exit and the gps also didn't work but luckly I finally found it. So good luck with your visit. I got in Frackville at 11:00 but didn't find the prision till 12:15 then they were having count so make sure u get there before 12 or u will have to wait till 1pm or a lil before to get in!

ALR2010
07-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Were the guards real nasty? I've heard horror stories! Were you able to hug/kiss him? Hold his hand? All of that? Was he waiting on you? or did YOU have to wait on him? I'm full of questions sorry! Its my first visit EVER to a prison. I'm a nervous wreck

gailxxxxuk
07-17-2010, 08:54 PM
hi my mans in frackville i would love to visit but i would be coming from the uk!!!
would love to chat.gail

gailxxxxuk
07-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Does anyone that has loved ones in Frackville still come to this thread? I am looking for some new people to chat with.would love to chat my mans in frackville i would love to see him but i would be coming from the uk! take care gail

gailxxxxuk
07-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Hey I just had my 1st visit in Frackville on Sat. July 3. It was nice other then getting lost going there they say the prision is right off the exit it is not right off the exit and the gps also didn't work but luckly I finally found it. So good luck with your visit. I got in Frackville at 11:00 but didn't find the prision till 12:15 then they were having count so make sure u get there before 12 or u will have to wait till 1pm or a lil before to get in!hi i would love to visit my man in frackville but i would be coming from the uk`!! would love to chat take care gail :)

gailxxxxuk
07-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Were the guards real nasty? I've heard horror stories! Were you able to hug/kiss him? Hold his hand? All of that? Was he waiting on you? or did YOU have to wait on him? I'm full of questions sorry! Its my first visit EVER to a prison. I'm a nervous wreck
hi my mans in frackville i would love to visit him but i would be coming from the uk! would love to chat ,take care gail :)

Kmpalp
08-25-2010, 02:36 PM
My guy is in frackville as well ...would love to get to know anyone interested and talk ..I haven't been on a visit as of yet but I hope to be able to work it out.

ALR2010
09-06-2010, 11:20 PM
My guy is in frackville as well ...would love to get to know anyone interested and talk ..I haven't been on a visit as of yet but I hope to be able to work it out.

I have a loved one in Frackville as well. I went there in the beginning of August for the first time, and I'm going back again in October. I live about 7 hours away, so I cant go as often as I'd like, but my visit wasnt really as bad as I thought it would be from all of the horror stories I hear about the place. If anyone wants to chat just send me a message!

=)

Kmpalp
01-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I am finally going for a visit either this Thursday or Feb7 I have never visited anyone in prision so I am very nervous about how it will all go.

Kmpalp
01-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Didn't realize that I was trying to go thurs and there is no visit lol So the visit is set for the 7th I have lots of mixed emotions about it from just being in a prision to many more things but I can't wait to see him face to face

Kmpalp
02-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Well I have went 2x since then and they both went well ...no problems at all

lizzy1227
09-22-2011, 11:51 AM
hi my guy is in frackville also. i hate him being in there. i have not been down to see him yet but i am planning on going here soon. what are the visits like down there? his min date is oct 7 2013. do you know if they like holding prisoners till they max out or if they release a lot of them on their min dates. if you would like to chat more let me know. thank you

nata80
09-24-2011, 02:20 PM
hi my guy is in frackville also. i hate him being in there. i have not been down to see him yet but i am planning on going here soon. what are the visits like down there? his min date is oct 7 2013. do you know if they like holding prisoners till they max out or if they release a lot of them on their min dates. if you would like to chat more let me know. thank you
Make sure if ur bringing your kids to visit there is a special form u have to fill out in advance that's if u have kids i found that out the hard way. Lockers are a 10 dollar deposit. No touching during the visit and of course they tell you were to sit. You don't have a choice. Visits are better if you go in the morning during the week, get longer visits. Its not that bad. As far as the max date depends on the crime and if this is his first offense of not.

S.Quita
10-29-2011, 09:45 AM
HI LADIES! My dude is in Frackville right now, I want to see him but my car is down right now. I want to know is there any bus service that go there coming out of Philly. Your help will b so kind. Also I never visit a prison b 4. I heard there strict about what u wear,and there a litt;e nasty (the guards) is this true.

msonlydabest
10-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Frackville is like any other jail. The guards can be asshole but that is everywhere. They do allow you to change you clothes if something is wrong with it. No rip clothes, no hoodies, sleeves, etc. The website is accurate with the dress code.

inmate2006
03-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I was an inmate at Frackville for two years. I was a level 2 and didn't have a cell. I also worked outside the prison. I never had a problem. Had many, many visits. The guards weren't bad. The best part of vists were the vending machines and microwaves. We ate many cheesburgers and lots of popcorn. They gave us alot of outside time in the yard. I would estimate the yard was about 5-6 acres. Lots of grassy fields, a running track, weights, handball courts, softball field, basketball courts. We had cable TV and being a level2, I could take a shower anytime for as lonfg as I wanted. The food wasn't bad, the barbecued chicken was great.

cmlady
04-08-2012, 08:44 PM
@ Inmate 2006. My husband is at SCI Forest and I was considering asking him to put in a request for transfer to SCI Frackville as it much closer to where I am. He is on a level 2 now. My question is does your level stay the same if you transfer to another prison. Any information you can provided any Frackville would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

bobble60
04-15-2012, 08:22 AM
If he is granted a promotional transfer, his level will remain at 2.