View Full Version : SCI-Waymart

5744chick
08-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Anyone have info about Waymart? My man just went ther from Camp Hill :)

varsgrrrl
08-05-2003, 06:58 PM
http://www.cor.state.pa.us/Waymart.html Try that link and it should take you to the Waymart site. Good luck to you both:)

5744chick
08-05-2003, 09:02 PM
yes, I've seen that link, and it freaked me out. It focuses mostly on the mentally challenged inmates. I was unaware they had a really good rehab program , which is what my guy needs. It only briefly mentiones the other min. security inmates. Ever been there?? have any transportation hints, my car is old and it's a long way from Philly. 3-4 hours i hear. Thanks for reply

varsgrrrl
08-05-2003, 09:19 PM
No, I haven't been there. My boyfriend is at Mahanoy, that's in Frackville. Waymart is further north. If your man needs drug rehab tell him to look into getting transferred to Chester. It'll be so much closer to you and it really focuses on drug rehabilitation. He'll probably have to still serve at least half of his sentence before he can move but if he puts in a request early maybe it can happen sooner than that. It's worth a try:)

5744chick
08-07-2003, 06:50 AM
Thanks varsgrrrl. He seems happy with the programs at Waymart, and I know he doesn't want to move AGAIN!! He says they are really focusing on his addiction problems and that is what is important to him. Thats what caused him to be there. He also says they roll you out fast as long as he does all his programs. I wish him, you, and everyone patience and all the best through these hard times

tiggers
04-23-2004, 05:19 PM
my man is in Waymart what where you wanting to know about it

LML
04-23-2004, 09:36 PM
My Man is also in Waymart, the do have really good programs there. I don't have any transportation hints...But i can say when i go visit my boyfriend, that the visits are not as bad as other prisons. At least i get to be close to him. What else would you like to know about waymart maybe i can help??? I wish you and your man the best wishes....

jenpalmer71
10-07-2004, 08:36 PM
SCI-Waymart
P.O. Box 256, Route #6
Waymart, PA 18472
(570)488-5811

SCI-Waymart houses mentally disabled males who require inpatient psychiatric care and treatment. The institution also houses minimum-security male inmates.

vics woman
06-20-2006, 05:46 PM
is this sci waymart the same thing as usp canaan?:confused:

shortyncute
06-20-2006, 06:17 PM
no, canaan is feds...waymart is state

vics woman
06-21-2006, 05:32 PM
thanks tammy for clearing that up for me.is it like one complex that has both facilities in the complex:confused:

shortyncute
06-21-2006, 06:39 PM
any time :) I just fnd find out myself :)

Briansbabygrl
02-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Hello Everyone I am looking for anyone who has a loved one in the PA Prision System. Actually my Brian is in Waymart. Any of you familiar with it? I wanted to know some of the experiences you have had with this facility. Brian's have not been good and I have a real Mail problem there. To be honest I worry about him daily. I do question his safety. I feel like I can not talk to anyone there. ( I have quickly learned TRUST NO ONE) They all tell you what you want to hear. I can not even get a straight answer as to what he can and can not have. Anyone know the rules there. Do they have mail order? How can I get a catalog to order him things to be sent?? HELP!!!!

bethbupp
02-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Welcome to PTO's Pennsylvania forum. There are a bunch of us here with loved ones in the PA DOC, but not all are real active. I can't think of anyone at Waymart off the top of my head, but I could be wrong. The policies for mail and purchases are fairly uniform throughout the DOC, though. Things we are allowed to order for them were reduced drastically in 2006. Mostly all we can order is books, magazines, and Christmas/summer packages, plus a few things like approved art supplies, musical instruments, and religious jewelery. Here is the policy. http://www.cor.state.pa.us/standards/lib/standards/DC-ADM_815_Personal_Property-_Basic_State_Issued_Items-_and_Commissary.pdf
And here is the one for mail. http://www.cor.state.pa.us/standards/lib/standards/DC-ADM_803_Inmate_Mail_and_Incoming_Publications1.pdf

Najm
02-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Welcome to pto.
My fiance is in Dallas,PA so I have no experience of Waymart, but have not heard anything particularly negative either.
I hope somebody comes along who has dealt with that place before, but I am sure things will settle down a bit once he finds his feet and gets talking to other inmates who can tell him more than the DOC will.

ecargo
02-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I have a friend at Waymart. I don't have any other experience of the PA prison system, so I don't know how it compares to other places. I haven't had any problems with the mail there--he gets my letters within two or three days, and ditto on my end. I've sent books (ordered through Amazon or other online booksellers) without any problems, sent money through JPay (for his commissary account), and at Christmas ordered through the approved Xmas vendors. Make sure when you send mail or books that his inmate number is included in the address (I address all mail and deliveries to Name, P.O. Box 256/XX0000 (the XX0000 being his inmate number) Waymart, PA 18472, and it always gets to him. The nice thing about that is that no one who sees the mailing address has any idea that it's going to a prison).

Outside of that, there's not much you can send--cards and letters are pretty much it (and even the cards can't have a lot of glitter and nonsense, I think). I send articles from magazine, newspaper clippings, word finds I tear from books and magazines, etc., and so far haven't had problems. I've also sent pics (usually color printouts) without a problem. As someone else said, he can order certain items (musical instruments, art supplies) through the commissary.

The DoC doesn't let you send much. My friend hasn't had any problems since he's been there really--some of the COs can be jerks, the counselors can be jerks, and the programs are poorly run and almost impossible to finish according to the DoC timeframe, so don't get me wrong when I say he "hasn't had any problems"--what I mean is that he's getting by, doing his time, so far without trouble. I will say that my visits have been very pleasant and the COs have been very professional and nice to me. Hopefully it works out the same for you and your boyfriend.

Good luck to both of you. I hope this information helps.

justreleased05
02-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Waymart is the lowest level prison on the eastern side of PA. I was there for 8 months before going to bootcamp. It's a dorm style prison. No cells, except on intake and in the hole... I had no problems with recieving or sending mail while there. As for getting straight answers, now that is a different story. They gave both me and my family the run around for over 5 months on when i was to leave for bootcamp. I actually had to have my family call the superintendent of the DOC on several occasions... All and all my stay there wasn't real bad. No problems with guards or inmates... I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions feel free to PM. I don't get on here as much i use to, but if there is something i can help with i will do my best to give you an honest and truthful answer...

KAINZ
02-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Good To See The Pa People Active In Here! Wish I Had So Info On Waymart But Ive Had No Experience With The Eastern Side Of The State!!!!!! Stay Strong & God Bless!!!!

valliegirl60
04-04-2007, 09:41 AM
waymart is where my B/F IS...what type of Mail problems are you having over there?...my b/f never seems to have a problem getting my mail.........yes..trust NO ONE BABE

MomMissing Son
05-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Hello,

My son is at SCI Cresson. I had phone service with CBS and all the sudden my son called last night and said he could no longer call me that the Prison which over to MCI. He had to call me collect.

I spent most of today today on the phone with MCI who said that they were not on the list. (Cresson) I think called the prison to find out the phones have been ringing off the hook today from folks calling about the phone system. I asked them what did they change over to so I could get service with them. They could not tell me what they changed over to but said it would be 48 hours before things would be straight.

Nobody knew nothing on both ends. I would have thought someone would have been considerate enough to post something on the Cresson website to let the families know that they are going through a change. Yes - I do realize that they are in prison but could we get just get a little consideration and some notice.

The lady at MCI did tell me that they might be taking them over. I don't know any company who just wakes up and decide to make a major change. Just wish they would have told us in advance.

I did not hear from him and I am praying he is okay. But I guess I will be sending more money for phone cards because I don't want any big bill.

I spoke with a guy at CBS and he told me they were taking they phones out of the PA DOC facilities. So I guess MCI did take over and the lady did not get the memo yet!!

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
MomMissing Son

Najm
05-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Alex told me last night that the phone system at Dallas was changing sometime in the next 2 weeks. It is apparently going to be cheaper for them to make prepaid calls, but I guess we will see when the time comes.

He didn't call tonight at the usual time, so I am wondering if they started doing it all today.

jeremiahmissed
05-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I just opened an account with correctional billing. They said nothing about it changing. I hope not. Do i get my money back if it no longer works? I squeezed 50 bucks out of my budget and can't afford for them to drag there a__ to send me a refund if it changes. Does anyone know how that works?

MomMissing Son
05-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Hello,

My son is at SCI Cresson. Cresson has changed over to MCI. I must say it's cheaper then Correctional Billing Service.

I use to get the calls on my cell phone.

My son has called me 3 times since the change. (Collect)

I live near Harrisburg and the calls are around 3.50. It's 1.25 connection fee and .15 a minutes. CBS - was 2.70 to connect and .27 a minute. I must say this is a big saving for me. I was paying 6.55 for 15 minutes and now I am paying only 3.50.

So this was a good move. I just wish they would have given me some notice. But it's okay.

I had 57.00 credit with CBS and they told me I had to wait 30 days to get my money. So we will see.

valliegirl60
09-30-2007, 10:09 PM
IS this just for mentally disturbed or do they house other inmates (state)?

Jaydensmommy08
06-25-2008, 08:18 AM
OK how do u know there releast date and does anyone know how to get to waymart?? My man said theres a bus that goes to waymart and drops u off like a block away can some one help me i mean he gets out soon but i dont know when and he wants me to come and see him i mean i have a car but i kow ima get lost cuz its liek 2 and ahalf away from me. i live in Reading PA

vmattge
08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
IS this just for mentally disturbed or do they house other inmates (state)?

Hi do you have any more info on Waymart ? for the mininum prisoner not in the mental area ? thanks

JimInPhila
09-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I have a buddy who was transferred there a few months ago from Coal Township SCI. I thought Coal Twnship was OK and, with time, my buddy became accustomed to the routine.
The first time I visited him at Waymart, he was kinda in shock because it was so different. He was used to cells, Waymart is "open bay." Also no doors or dividers in the bathroom, everybody can watch what you're doing (charming).
My impression with the gaurds was extremely positive. No "prison gaurd mentality or attitude"...and you all know what that means. They are men and women just doing a job the best they can. All were professional and polite.
Visiting hours are longer than at Coal Twnship which is a great thing.
Atmosphere is relaxed. Don't get me wrong, rules are rules. Don't push it.
Alot of the prison rules/regs are exactly the same as the military so when he starts complaining, I verbally smack him around and say, "Get over it. It was the same way in the Air Force. If I could handle their silliness, you can handle the exact same thing."
I'm learning that prison life is boring and repetative so if the inmate doesn't stay focused on something positive, petty complaining will become the mind set. I suggest that you keep yourself positive with your visits and don't feed into any negativity. That's not going to help either one of you.
Silly complaints I've heard are 1) "Every place else, you stand for 'count';
here, you sit." Like that's an earth schattering thing to deal with.
2) "Every place else, they give you your mail during the day; here, they hand it out later," to which I replied, "Get over Pal, it's exactly like the military."
Don't get me wrong, I walk out of there everytime and wish I was taking him back to Philly with me but I can't yet and I have to deal with that like lots of other visitors.
He signed up for a "keyboard" class and was excited about it.
Back in my day, it was called a "typing" class. He'll probably be able to teach me some things that I never knew.
At Coal Twnship, they were always posting classes that were cancelled at the last minute. But it looked good on paper.
All in all, Waymart seems like a great place, not that I'm wishing to be put in jail.
Hope this helps somebody.

teenie1961
09-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Waymart is the lowest level prison on the eastern side of PA. I was there for 8 months before going to bootcamp. It's a dorm style prison. No cells, except on intake and in the hole... I had no problems with recieving or sending mail while there. As for getting straight answers, now that is a different story. They gave both me and my family the run around for over 5 months on when i was to leave for bootcamp. I actually had to have my family call the superintendent of the DOC on several occasions... All and all my stay there wasn't real bad. No problems with guards or inmates... I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions feel free to PM. I don't get on here as much i use to, but if there is something i can help with i will do my best to give you an honest and truthful answer...
justreleased05: I have a few questions about Waymart, I have not seen or heard from my husbad in weeks now, the system is messing with him, he was at Camp Hill Pa, then he went to Smithfield Pa,now he is going to Waymart. How is this jail?? Is it for the mental patients, he is far from that? Do they keep them seperate from the min security inmates? I hope they don't put them with the inmates that aren't mentally impaired.or is it just a jail?? Oh my god he was told at Camp Hill he probably will not have to take any classes ,he was classified at Camp Hill from a 5 to a level 2, but why did they have to move him so far away from me, and they say they try to keep inmates close to their home town, what a bunch of milarkie, he is like 2 1/2 hrs away from me. How is this jail compaired to other jails??? I hope you can give me some good kind of advice. I could sure use some good news. I'am about going insane here not seeing him or hearing from him. I miss giving him a hug and a kiss.I Lovfe him and miss him so much, he has been my life for 34 years of my almost 50 years. I seen him faithfully every Friday and Sunday while he was at Camp Hill, now it feels like forever.

lowermysentence
09-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Anyone have info about Waymart? My man just went ther from Camp Hill :)

What do you want to know?

lowermysentence
09-28-2011, 12:31 PM
What do you want to know?
Just ask

Calebsgirl0402
10-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know if the visiting hours are longer on Holidays? My boyfriend said that they were- and since Columbus Day is a Holiday he said that they would be 9:30 til 4:30 but I can't find anything about that on the website...

Kelf
01-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Can anyone tell me about the psych area at Waymart?
Do they have many rights there? To commisary? Personal items in cell? etc.

bobble60
01-08-2012, 09:24 AM
I believe the men housed in Waymart have the same privileges, but that all privileges are evaluated in terms of safety to the individual.

chelseadugan34
11-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Does anyone know any information on what goes on when your in the hole at waymart? are they allowed to send letters or receive them?? Please help! I need any info you guys can give me! Thanks!

JimInPhila
11-14-2012, 11:05 AM
To "chelseadugan34,"
My best bud was released from Waymart several months ago. I asked him your question,
'Can inmates in the hole send and receive mail?'
He said that, while he was never in the hole, or "bucket" as he calls it, inmates in the hole can send and receive mail.
However, that being said, it doesn't assure that incoming or outgoing mail will be processed in a timely manner. Read: Mail can sit on the C.O's desk forever.
Additionally, he stated that 'While in the hole, there is no access to phone calls.'
I hope this helps.
And best wishes.

chelseadugan34
11-14-2012, 02:18 PM
JimInPhila thank you so much!