View Full Version : What is a 'parole package'?

Jerry'sMom
01-09-2003, 08:50 PM
I called the pardons and parole office today to ask about my son's upcoming June date. The girl gave me some useful information. I asked about 'support' letters and she told me they were good to have and she gave me the address of where to send them. But after I hung up, I remembered someone here talking about putting a 'package' together. And how strict the board of pardons and parole are. So my question is, can I just send (and get others) a support letter or do I need to put some kind of package together?

crbdt
01-09-2003, 09:11 PM
It was me that talked about the parole package. Inside Garza, he should be able to get a copy of what is required in the parole package. Basically, it's a life plan type thing. They want to have info about where they will go, employment, how they will stay "not incarcerated" in the future, etc. It had to be put together just so...with dividers, etc. Things they can't even have! It also told the format, and suggested verbiage to be used in the support letters. It was 3 or 4 pages long.... Depending on your $ situation, it was recommended that you consult with a parole attorney, however, some people will say it's not worth it. Then again, most anyone we say reaching parole seemed to have "help". It's worth checking into if you can...most first consultations are free. Ask you son to ask about the instructions.

Jerry'sMom
01-09-2003, 10:14 PM
I will be visiting on Sunday. Is there any way I can get my hands on one of those packets, do you think? This whole system we have in Texas literally frustrates me. You'd think they'd mention a parole package on the 'board of pardons and parole' web page. It almost seems the state purposely keeps both the inmates and their families ignorant to the process. My son's last letter included asking me for any info that I can find out on the internet. Heck, most of the guys didn't even know there is a 800 status line. My son asked me to send him the number and asked me to call about a fellow inmate to see what his staus is. When I called, I found out the guy's review is February 3. A little late to present anything in his defense. I'll tell my son on Sunday to ask about a parole package.

I was sorry to hear about your situation when I read about it. I'm going to write the ombudsman and ask about a parole package and why one is not given automatically to the inmate.

Thanks a lot for the info. I suppose if I had just sent a letter in they would have trashed it.

crbdt
01-10-2003, 09:58 PM
If it makes you feel any better, they won't trash your letters. They actually send a letter to you saying they received it, and it is required that it be kept in their file (so if you do get a response...keep it!!! That way if the letter is not in their file at review, you have proof it should be!!) I am not exactly sure who my husband got his copy of the parole package instructions from...if your son cannot get one, or find out where to get one, please let me know, and we will connect personally and I will mail you a copy of it, OK?! Enjoy your visit!
Catherine

Blackhawk
01-11-2003, 07:55 AM
I guess parole attorneys originally started putting together a collection of written documents to present during their argument meeting with the parole board. The written word is what represents the argument after the meeting. So I guess with the advent of personal computers and printers some homemade packets started being produced. A packet does represent the offender to the board members since the offender doesn't get to meet with the board. My son sent me some info on producing the packet and I did it up on my computer and went to Office Depot to get the binder and dividers for the different sections. Mailed it to the parole board and now it hopefully sits in his file and is ready to be reviewed. My son told me that the letter showing remorse for the crime was very important. I sent that part for him to sign and return to me before I sent the packet. I don't think he was entirely satisfied with the remorse statement I produced so he followed it up with his own handwritten remorse letter. I also sent him an exact copu of what was sent to the board in case he needed it for any reason.

lulu
01-11-2003, 10:03 AM
I can send you a link to your PM that will help you.

JOHN'S WIFE
01-11-2003, 05:30 PM
myself and shortie were talking about it reguarding athony she does not have a attorney for her husband but i do have one for mine. pm me and i well give you my number i have everything you need for the packet.

lostntx
12-29-2006, 06:01 PM
:) Hello, I need to ask if you could E-mail me a copy of the parole packet? I am trying to help my ex husband and this is the only place where I have found useful information. Especially, this post you made about the parole packet. Please advise me on how to send you my E-mail addy if you are able to do that for us. This is my first time as a registered user on this site. Thanks in advance for your time.

nakias_girl2008
01-08-2007, 10:59 PM
what is this 800 status line!