Wilton, New York 12831-5071

Inmate Mail: 1000 Mt. McGregor Rd.

Phone:
(518) 587-3960

Medium or Max:
Prison is Medium
Mt. McGregor Camp - Minimum

Visitation Hours:
Saturdays and Sundays 8:30 - 2:30 (you can arrive there at 8:00 though)

Visiting Rules:
I don't think there are any rules that are different from other NYS Correctional Facilities. Inmates are allowed up to 3 visitors at a time. You must have valid ID. You CAN bring packages with you to the visit. I'm not sure if this is the case with other NYS prisons. Also, for the camp ONLY you can bring homemade, homecooked items to the visit. They have to be eaten during the visit and you take the remainder back with you.
If anything, I find them to be more lax than others.
Ex.: Not as strict with clothing, (you can wear underwire & not have to take your bra off, double shirts, hoodies, zip-up jackets, coats, a little cleavage not low cut, but within reason) They seem to be more strict with middrifs and backs showing, and NO sleeveless or shoulder baring shirts. You are able to chew gum. You can keep all piercings in also. Playing cards, pictures, paper and pencil can all be brought in on the visit (inmate can't keep anything though) Touching and kissing is tolerated to a certain extent. Holding hands, rubbing arms and faces, peck kissing, even some more passionate kissing, as long as your not lip locked for more than a few seconds. No legs up on each other or under yourself. Guards will give a warning if they feel you are getting to "intimate."

Visiting Room:
I believe there are approximately 60 tables (?). maybe 25 two person tables and the rest 4 person. If you are the ONLY visitor, more than likely you will get the two seater and you have to sit across from each other. Sometimes you are lucky and get a 4 seater. There are 6 (or 7?) vending machines. 2 are soda/juice (I think maybe 3?); 2 are microwavable food (sandwiches, burgers, soup, chicken wings, lunch foods basically); and 2 are snacks and candy. You also get your photo tickets out of the vending machines (pics are $2.00 every visit 12:00 - 1:00/30). Prices are reasonable, about $5.00 for a sandwich, soda and snack). Bring lots of quarters or bills $10.00 and under. There is a change machine, but not for anything over $10.00 and the C.O.'s will not give you change, and it's hard to find another visitor who can give you change. There is chess, Scrabble and a couple other games there that you can play. There is also a Children's Room. It's supervised by one of the inmates. There's a T.V.(usually playing a movie), toys, games, coloring books and crayons for the kids. The kids can be in there without their guardian, and I believe (?) the inmate can go in with their child (Not 100% on that one). The children can bring toys and coloring items out to the table though.

Lodging:
Mountain View Hotel
(518) 793-2909
327 Saratoga Rd
Gansevoort, NY 12831

Super 8 Motel
(518) 587-6244
17 Old Gick Rd
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
McGregor Inn Motel
Route 9
Wilton, NY 12831
(518) 587-1394

These are some I see along the way. I don't know prices or quality of the the rooms. I am under an hour away, so I don't need lodging. If you like I wouldn't mind calling for rates.

Prison Web Site:
None that I could find

Prison Picture:
None I could find. I do have a camera phone though, so I will try and get some outside pictures on Sunday.

FRP available: No

Number of prisoners:
Prison - 544 beds
Camp - 300 beds

General Information:

Exit 16 off 87.

Here is everything I can think of that will be helpful if you have someone there.

The Sunoco gas station right off the exit has great breakfast. Clean, good wait staff and artery clogging "Trucker" food. No problem getting change (Singles and Fives) for the visitation room change machine.

Hotel. Super 8 off exit 14 is $75 a night and across from a Megasupermondo Walmart. Most major fast food resturants nearby, plus TGIFridays.

http://www.super8.com/Super8/contro...06&brandInfo=SE

For visitation. Drive up to gate, just the driver shows a license. Plate and vehicle info taken. Drive up hill and follow signs to visitor parking. Park and go up stairs to courtyard area where handicapped parking is available. On a slow weekend you go right into the building on the Right, if it's busy you go to a building on the left to get a number and fill out the green personal info form. On really busy weekends they are slow, you can wait up to an hour and might be cut short on a visit, but it's only happened 3-4 times in 3 years.

Visitation is from 8:30ish to 2:30. They are sometimes slow to start in the AM.

Only a Driver's license is required for ID.

Guards and attitude at check in are good. COs are friendly and calm.
Lockers at check-in are free, but you need a quarter to use them.

Sign in, empty pockets, go through metal detectors and wait for a group to be about 10-15 people. The walk you down to the visiting area OUTSIDE. If it's cold keep your jacket. Great views when walking to visiting room.(silver lining on a very dark cloud)

The visitation room is decorated with paintings and a Brooklyn Bridge Mural, bathrooms are hit and miss. Sometimes filthy, sometimes clean and well stocked with TP, soap and towels, but not always all 3.

Windows are all around, A/C in the summer and well heated in the winter.

Tables are rows, no suprise there and inmate must face guards. Plastic chairs and wooden tables, somewhat uncomfy but clean.

Hugging, kissing(Wife not me. )is ok, holding hands ok.

You can bring in paper, pens, cards, pictures(Brought in 200+ proofs from my wedding with no problem) are all ok.

Vending machines have microwave food, water, coca cola products, gatorade and snacks. Get the good food early, the machines empty out on a busy day. Try to get some paper towels early, they always run out and you might need them in the bathroom. 2 microwaves and plastic trays available.

Picture tickets for sale in the snack machine for 2 bucks each for a polaroid in front of the brooklyn bridge mural.
Buy the ticket and go to CO desk, write table number on it and hand it to them to get that set up.

All in all the guards are decent enough to the inmates, and are a cast of charicters. They could make it worse for everyone but they dont.

They patrol the visiting area sporatically, but not like hawks.

On the way home heading south Exit 9 has a Cracker Barrel.

The prison is about 20 minutes south of Lake George and 2 exits north of Saratoga so there are plenty of lodging and dining choices nearby.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/...mtmcgregor.html
This has some information about the history of the facility. If you have any specific questions, just ask and I will try to answer.