Okaloosa Correctional Institution
o 3189 Colonel Greg Malloy Road
Crestview, Florida 32539-6708
o (850) 682-0931
o http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region1/115.html
o FAX: (850) 689-7803
o E-Mail: okaloosaci@mail.dc.state.fl.us
o Chaplain's Office - (850) 682-0931

Directions: From I-10 take Exit 56 (SR-85 South) for 3 miles. Left on Colonel Greg Malloy Road and 3.3 miles to the institution.

Historical Information: This facility was established in 1983, replacing Niceville Road Prison, and houses adult male inmates. Okaloosa Work Camp is under the supervision of Okaloosa C.I.

Total Staff (on 7/12): 297

Type of Housing Units:
Open Bay Housing Units- 2
Cell Housing Units - 3
Room Housing Units - 0
Total Capacity - 894
Other Information:
Population Gender -Male
Adult or Youthful - Adult
Facility Level - 5
Self Contained Housing Units - Yes
Designated Confinement Space -Yes
Custody Grades - Close, Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades - 1 through 4
Psychological Grades - 1 and 2
Wheelchair Capabilities - No
Hearing Impaired Capabilities - Yes

Academic Programs:
•General Educational Development (GED)

Vocational Programs:
None at this time

Substance Abuse Programs:
•ACTs-Alcohol and Chemical Treatment Series

Chaplaincy Services:
•Chapel Library Program
•Religious Education
•Worship Services

Institutional Betterment Programs:
•100-Hour Transition Program
•Active and Passive Sports
•Anger & Stress Management
•Computer Monitor Repair
•FIT-Family Integrity Training
•Florida Ready to Work
•Gavel Club-Toastmasters
•Know your Computer (Basic Microsoft Word-Excel-PowerPoint)
•Law Library Program
•Library Program
•Marriage Enrichment
•Money Management
•Music/Band
•Parenting
•Self Esteem
•Sex Offender Treatment
•Smoking Cessation
•Truth Project
•Thinking for a Change
•Wellness Education

P.R.I.D.E. Assignments:
•None at this time

Community Work Squads:
Dept. of Transportation - no
Public Work Squads - Yes
Interagency Community Service Work Squads -Yes
Contracted Work Squads - Yes

Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33’s, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and don’t pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures – Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby

Lilboobooev
03-24-2005, 05:54 AM
My man has told me that its a pretty striaght camp to be at. He went to a DR hearing when he got there and they where very fair with him and even let him off with a warning type deal (which they NEVER do)... well heres about the visit..
..i was just there this past weekend visiting my man...ok first of make sure you are wearing very lose fitting pants ..if not ur shirt must reach by ur knees..(im not even playing they gave me a HARD time)...second u can only wear one braclet, one chain, 3 rings, and 1 pair of small earings (yes ridiculus) u can have a small clear bag for your money ..and u can take in upto 50 dollars and 1 pack of closed cigs per person...also visit is from 8:00am - 2pm (central time)..make sure ur there before 8 (if u want ur whole visit) cause they call them in order and it takes a little while...besides that the visit is ok...so long as u dont hug or kiss only before and after visits...putting his arm around you while you are sitting is considered hugging by them...also make sure his legs are under the table the whole time (my man got called to the side for it) ...thats pretty much it...heres the info

3189 Little Silver Road
(850) 682-0931
Suncom: 672-1011
FAX: (850) 689-7803
E-Mail: okaloosaci@
mail.dc.state.fl.us

If you have any other quetions please feel free to PM me

Lilboobooev
03-24-2005, 06:02 AM
Heres a few things I didnt answer:

Visiting Procedures Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system? You just need your number but take your FL ID with you because the first day they did ask me for it...than they will give you a print out with your mans info that you hand in once you get into the visiting room to the CO in the desk so they can call your man up. :)

Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Visitn in indoor and outdoor..indoor is kind of small..out door wont open until like 9 or 9:30 but it will open (well it should) until then you have a smoke break. Also microwaves are OUTSIDE so before outside opens you can only heat up food during a 5 minute smoke brake..once it opens you can go in and out.

Lodging Nearby

MAKE SURE YOU GET A ROOM EARLY!!!! DO NOT THINK THAT YOU CAN GET ONE ONCE YOU GET THERE! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT....I got my room a week early and almost EVERY hotel was already booked. When I arrived at the city even the Hotel I had booked at luckly was already booked..there was lines of people at the hotel hoping to get a room but they had none....i would really hate someone to get there and have no where to stay and the next city is kinda far so BOOK A ROOM EARLY!!! :D

Lilboobooev
03-24-2005, 06:10 AM
hotels in area:

Hampton Inn
3709 S Ferdon Blvd
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 689-2378

Comfort Inn Crestview
4040 S Ferdon Blvd.
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 423-1200

Holiday Inn
4050 S. Ferdon Blvd.
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 682-6111

Days Inn
4255 S Ferdon Blvd
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 682-8842

Econo Lodge Crestview
3107 S Ferdon Blvd
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 682-6255

Hampton Inn Crestview
3709 S Ferdon Blvd
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536

Jameson Inn Crestview
151 Cracker Barrel Drive
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 683-1778

Remember to book early...hotels are about 5-10 minutes away from prison..very close!
Take Fl-85 to little silver road (look for signs for correctional facility) and than turn in there and take a long road to the back and its there... :D

Kelly75
11-30-2005, 12:03 PM
My finace Laz is in Okaloosa. it's five hours from me:(

Pooh'sgirl
01-18-2006, 09:24 PM
If you come from far away, make sure to have an extra jacket or shirt in the car. Wear ugly very long shirts. It depends very much on the co. What is deemed appropriate clothing one day, is considered inappropriate the next day (personal experience.) White clothing: make VERY sure it shows NOTHING. Skirts/dresses : wide and over the knee is best. Pants : baggy, or wear a very loose fitting shirt up to the knee. Hands on the table at all times. Legs underneath the table, closed. Do not sit too close together. While some CO's are really very nice, some are the complete opposite, have even been 'banned' from working the visiting park for a while. Some are downright creepy and behave like stalkers/peeping toms.

I usually get there by 7.30( by taxi, this will cost you anywhere between $15 to $22 ONE WAY) tell them at what time you need to be picked up again. The only hotel I stayed at is the Jameson Inn. Nice athmosphere, nice rooms. It's a 2 minute walk from The Crackerbarrel, Hooters and the Wafflehouse. Very close to Wallmart and some other shops/restaurants. About a 20 minute drive from the Santa Rosa Mall or Okaloosa Island beach.

If you have to take a taxi from the Airport (Valparaiso/Eglin AFB) to the hotel, they should not charge more than about $35-38 ONE WAY. My advice : ask for their businesscard or phonenumber, and use them for the trip back to the airport as well. Last time I took a local taxi back, he ripped me off for $60!!! Always ask (on the phone) how much they will charge you first.

Let your loved one ask around (before your visit) if one of the other inmates has family who are willing to drive you back to your hotel. Share the costs if they will accept this (most won't) explain how much money they are saving you, and that you'd rather pay them than a taxi (we all know how expensive it is to have a loved one in prison.)

Good luck!!!

WorkerB
03-17-2006, 01:01 AM
If you come in at the Aiport, ask about the airport shuttle service, it runs regularly scheduled routes from the aiport to surrounding areas and is usually cheaper than Taxis. There are a couple of Taxi company's that charge 2.50 falt fee anywhere "in town and then so much per mile outside town check with those first. I don't know what the basic fair is but City Cab always treated our elderly patients right at my old job. Also Chopps Taxi comes to mind (no personal experience with them though) if you do hire a taxi ask for rates in advance, plus ask about any surcharges they may add on when you call the dispatcher, I can tell you once you turn off the highway onto little silver it is 3 miles to the prison. If you stay anywhere around the interstate, where most of the hotels are located your travel will be less than 10 miles. So figure the Taxi's rate times 10 miles and pay no more than this amount! I will try to remember to set my odometer at Wal-mart turn off (Econo-Lodge) where the first in the string of hotles is located and check actual mileage to the prison. If your not shy, when you get there if you see someone arriving look at their tags, if it is Okaloosa or Santa Rosa, strike up a conversation If they are from Crestivew, Holt, Milton, Baker, Milligan, Laurel Hill they will be heading back towards the interstate, (Niceville, Ft Walton, Shalimar and Destin will go the other direction) and ask about a ride if they are heading your direction, like someone said earlier offer to pay them a couple of bucks for gas.

annat
03-18-2006, 12:04 AM
I just noticed my fiance is at this facility..he was transferred there today. I can't accept anymore calls until the beginning of next month, so I have NO clue why they moved him. I see that there are only 2 openbay units and 3 cell units...for some reason I have a feeling something happened to him and he's in confinement or something :( Is this a CM facility?? I'm considering calling on Monday and seeing if I can speak with classification--do you guys know if the classification officers there are nice/helpful??

Thanks,
Anna

Knitboutique
06-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Just a few more things to add: When I visited my loved one we were not allowed to sit opposite each other but beside each other which is ackward since you can't look at each other unless you turn your head. Also, I took a little purse which was not see through. One guard looked at the other and said, "it's not see through" and the other one answered and said "that is ok" as long as it only has $ in it and that is correct. A lot of people think the purse must be see through, but the website for the FDOC clearly states that is not the case.
I also found some of the guards, especially female guards, condesending. Treating people like children. We are grown ups and it is sad and shameful to see how some guards treat other people just because they are inmates or related to inmates.
Lets face it, these inmates are paying their debt to society and don't need those in charge of them to exact more punishment on them. Being locked up is enough.
One guard was very polite though when he spoke to us. God bless that man.

czubaka007
12-04-2006, 07:25 AM
My Dad is in Ocaloosa. I live far away in Europe but plan on visiting him with his newlyborn grandson. Do they allow visits with babies?

simon

nicsmom
05-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Hi, my son was just transfered to Okaloosa CI yesterday. I checked the forum and found older info on the camp. Does anyone have any updated info on how things are there??

geminiskat
05-27-2007, 08:21 PM
My son's father has been there for over a year and we go to visit every two weeks. Most of the officer's are nice and don't harrass you. They did have a "real" bad sergent ther but he transferred and things have gotten "much" better and more relaxed for visitation. He didn't really have any other complaints than the one bad apple. His classification officer has been a God send and has taken more calls from me than I care to admit. She has gone out of her way several times to help me get information. Mail room has been helpful. I actually had a lady Captain call me one Friday night and let me know not to come for visit because he was in confinement. She said she knew we would be coming and she didn't want to to make the trip for nothing. I've never heard of a Captain doing this. We have been blessed. Hope this helps.

jamiesgirl4ever
07-29-2007, 08:43 AM
My husband is there for at least 15 more months. He hasnt really had any problems with anyone. The guards treat them decent, and there are a few classes offered to make their time go by. The most important thing, they are treated ok. (I heard the food could use a little help thought :)

WorkerB
12-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Okay I relaize the posts are old but someone doawn the road may have the same questions. No Okaloosa is not CM (close management), transfer are done for any number of reasons most of which are not "bad", even though the fact your loved one is moved farther away from you may seem like more punishment. Children under 12 are aloowed to visit WITHOUT being on the approved visitation list as long as they are with their parent or legal guardian and you must have a birth certificate, adoption papers, notarized document giving you permission to being child, whatever. AL children 12 and over MUST submit an application-drivers license number or ID number on application is only required for children over 15.

Diamond1028
03-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Anyone with a loved one at Okaloosa?

TyronesWife
03-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Diamond,

Mine's in Okaloosa.

ChrisnDeb
03-19-2008, 07:21 AM
My man also is at Okaloosa. He's an hour away from me.

czubaka007
03-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info WorkerB.
My Dad is in Okaloosa. I live in Europe but i write him all the time and send him photos. I got the papers sorted to go visit him as well.

Diamond1028
03-20-2008, 11:45 AM
My boyfriend was sent to confinement last night, I called classifications but until next week I won't know what happened, he's only been there 3 weeks and already in confinement. I had just talked to classifications yesterday about my visitation and the classification officer was very nice and was getting my application approved and now I won't know when I'll be able to visit. I am so angry.

Diamond1028
03-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know anything about confinement at Okaloosa, I have never gone thru this and this is all new to me, any information would be really appreciated. Thank you ladies.

Diamond1028
03-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Tyroneswife and chrisandeb do you girls visit often, If you can tell me how visitations are, I hope i'm able to visit soon, I am in Miami and I had everything ready to visit the 28th of March and now I am lost, since he's in confinement. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Merryb22
04-09-2008, 01:16 PM
I found some older post regarding Okaloosa. My son was just transferred there from the RMC, 4 hour drive for me which is okay, wanted to know if anyone had a personal experiences about the place, the visit what to expect. I have never been to a prison so this is pretty scary for me. Thanks everyone, keeping yall in my prayers.

Mary

Don Quixote
04-12-2008, 01:39 PM
If Okaloosa is a state run prison (and I think it is), you can expect that your loved one will send you a visitation form to complete and return within a couple of weeks. Complete it exactly, and then they can take up to 30 days to approve or deny it: sometimes it's quicker. Visitation typically is in a wide cafeteria style area, sometimes with outside access. People check in at 8 and are patted down and then taken in to wait. (The search and the atmosphere always are offensive to me: others find them less unbearable.)

In the meantime, if your home phone is in your name, then your loved one will be able to call you. And if you want to send them money for canteen you may (by getting a form, and sending the form with a money order to the address, then in a day or two you can check by phone to make sure it got there. They receive every thing they actually need. But through the canteen, they can buy boots, and chess games and radios and better soap and other hygiene items, and food.

After their orientation, they'll be assigned to a job of some kind,and maybe training.

You can mail him at the address that is on the DOC website. Make sure you put his DOC number on your correspondence.

ChrisnDeb
04-15-2008, 09:55 PM
If Okaloosa is a state run prison (and I think it is), you can expect that your loved one will send you a visitation form to complete and return within a couple of weeks. Complete it exactly, and then they can take up to 30 days to approve or deny it: sometimes it's quicker. Visitation typically is in a wide cafeteria style area, sometimes with outside access. People check in at 8 and are patted down and then taken in to wait. (The search and the atmosphere always are offensive to me: others find them less unbearable.)

In the meantime, if your home phone is in your name, then your loved one will be able to call you. And if you want to send them money for canteen you may (by getting a form, and sending the form with a money order to the address, then in a day or two you can check by phone to make sure it got there. They receive every thing they actually need. But through the canteen, they can buy boots, and chess games and radios and better soap and other hygiene items, and food.

After their orientation, they'll be assigned to a job of some kind,and maybe training.

You can mail him at the address that is on the DOC website. Make sure you put his DOC number on your correspondence.

what Don said is correct. My man is at Okaloosa and I go see him every weekend. When you send in your application it will take about 10 days or so to hear something. The Inmate will let you know by Mail or phone that you are cleared to visit or not. I suggest you arrive about 7:15 am or so because some weekends it can be very packed. Make sure you bring your ID and only bring the key that will open your key, Leave the ignition key in the car. The Correctional officers all are different, one may pick at you about how tight your pants are or how tight/see thru your Shirt is, the others wont' really be to concerned so I suggest proper dressing so you don't have to deal with all that. The visiting room isn't that large, has 2 rows of tables, and at around 8:30 they open the door to the outside area. They do have a Canteen with a variety of items, drinks snacks and food. They have vending machines for drinks and snacks also. You are aloud to bring up to 50 dollars cash. You will be issued a ID number and take a picture of you when you first arive. I hope this info helps I know I jumped all over the place trying to remember everything I went thru when I first started visiting. If you have anymore questions Please don't hesistate to ask ok?? just send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help. :thumbsup:

ChrisnDeb
04-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Doh open your Car not your key, I just read over my thread. Man you talk about typo queen :) sorry.

Merryb22
05-12-2008, 12:13 PM
My son is at Okaloosa

ateeyah
06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Hello all

Does anyone have any info about OKALOOSA CI somewhere out no-mans lands Florida? Just found out my husband landed there today and I need to find out about the place. I saw a couple older posts - does anyone still visit there? Any info is helpful.

Thanks so much...

Merryb22
06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi Ateeyah-

My son is there he has been there for a couple of months now. I have not gone to visit him yet but my daughter lives in pensacola and when I visit her I go right past there. My son says its not bad, just boring, as he is still pretty young, 22, and there is not a/c so its really hot.

Wish I could give you more info, maybe someone else will come along and give you info.

Here is some information

Okaloosa Correctional Institution
3189 Little Silver Road
(850) 682-0931
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region1/115.html
FAX: (850) 689-7803
E-Mail: okaloosaci@mail.dc.state.fl.us
Chaplain's Office - (850) 682-0931

Good Luck

Mary

TyronesWife
06-04-2008, 04:58 PM
My husband says it's joke and most of the staff is on a power trip. He stays to himself and doesn't cause problems so he has a lot of time to people watch. Needless to say, he's bucking hard for a transfer.

ateeyah
06-04-2008, 07:51 PM
As I suspected - Okaloosa is nothin good! My Husband has said that it is in the middle of the sticks and the hillbillies run it so we can only pray at this point.

Paralegal USA
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
And so it is with the Panhandle. Florida: the only state in the Union where the farther north you go the deeper in the south you get.

ateeyah
06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I love it - thanks for the moment of levity! fINDING OUT THAT oKA IS NO WHERE WE WANNA BE!

ateeyah
06-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the moment of levity! Finding out that Oka is no where we wanna be!

missinbabydaddy
11-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I am new at this whole thing...Can anyone tell me what will happen or what I can expect when I go to visit him @ Okaloosa CI. :confused:

Anjewel
11-09-2008, 12:31 AM
First and foremost, make sure you fill out the visitation application, send it in and have been approved to visit.

If that's all done, visiting is on Saturday and Sunday from 8am - 2pm. Okaloosa was never all that crowded when I went, but I still liked to get there early, just for visiting sake...but, about 8:30 was the earliest I ever made it. I drive from Lakeland (that's between Orlando and Tampa, yeah!) and the only good thing about it was if I got there at 9am my time, it was 8am their time. :)

The visit application will have the rules and do's and don'ts, if not you can get them from the DOC website. Let me go see if I can find them...

On second thought, even better than that, here's the link to the whole Rules and Regs or '33s' as they're called: http://www.dc.state.fl.us/secretary/legal/ch33/index.html

You'll find a wealth of info there so have some time and kick your feet up when you decide to click on that link. Also, put this link in your favorites, that way you'll always have quick reference to them. Trust me, you'll refer back to them more than any of us care to admit.

When you get there, you walk up to the window and tell them it's your first time at a state facility. They'll give you a clip board with a page on it to fill out and they'll want your ID.

Then, they'll take your picture and you'll scan your right hand in the machine on the wall three times to make sure it 'gets' it, I guess. Then, you'll go inside one set of doors and they'll write down ever piece of jewelry and other items you may carry in...and make you take other things back to the car. Like I said, go to the rules and regs and pull up permissible visiting items and that way you won't have to make an unnecessary trip back to the car.

Then, when that's done you walk through a metal detector and through another set of doors or two into a shake down room. There you will be asked to remove your shoes, shake your bra and open your mouth for inspection. Then, they'll ask you to turn around and spread eagle so they can pat you down from head to toe and underneath your feet.

Then, when you've put yourself back together, you walk out of that room into a hall that takes you to a visiting room. It's much like a school cafeteria with long tables and chairs, a toy box with all kinds of things, card and board games to play, vending machines and a canteen. A canteen is a little store you can buy junk food from.

You will need to take the paper with your picture and his on it to the officer sitting at the table. You can't miss it, it's right as you go in. If your guy hasn't already been called, the officer will call him to the VP for visit. Then, you wait for him to go through the same thing you just did, except he doesn't have to scan his hand and he has to remove all his clothes and shoes in the prisoner shake down room.

When he comes out, give him the best hug and kiss you got because that'll be it until it's time to leave and they mean it. You can hold hands, but that's it for bodily contact for the duration of the day. You'll see things and slips and sneeks through out the day if your attention isn't captured with your guy, but it's best to try to behave because they do not have a minute's problem asking you to leave for non authorized contact.

Anyhow, it's really not so bad once you get used to it. My biggest thing was all those deathly scary doors you have to go through and they lock before the others will open...back when I first started visiting they made the most awful clank when they closed and it just worried me. To this day I jump if I'm too close when they 'pop'.

Then, when you go to leave, you'll kiss and hug again (some more) and then go out the same way as you came in except they don't pat you down on the way out.

Don't wait until the last minute to go to the bathroom because you may have to wait as they only allow one at a time AND the bathroom's are kept locked and you have to get one of the officers to let you in.

It's cold as all get out up there this time of year, so make dang sure to take a jacket. I finally got to where I'd wear a jacket and maybe two shirts, a long sleeve and short sleeve. You never know when it's gonna be butt ugly cold in the morning and then warm up real nice as the day goes on. There's nothing like visiting with a turtle neck and it warming up to 80 degrees. You don't want to leave for anything but it sure will be miserable.

And, I don't know why it isn't stressed in the rules enough, but if you don't wear DETECTABLE panties and a bra, they won't let you visit. Just no wire in the bra, they make the metal detector go crazy and if you can't remove the wire from your bra, you'll have made that trip only to be hunting a WalMart before you can go inside.

Some girls take an extra set of clothes just in case the officer's have a problem with what ever they have on. And, don't think just because it got in once or even 25 times, it'll get in the next time if there is any way ANYONE can make a deal over it because half the time it depends on who is doing the checking in that day, and sometimes the mood they are in...

But, you will come to know all the little quirks and qualms of these places soon enough.

Glad you found PTO, it's a life saver.

missinbabydaddy
11-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Thank you soooo very much for that info. I needed it. Now, you said No wires in your bra, right??? My boobs are way to BIG to not be held up by some kind of wire. What to do??? I plan on bringing my 2 yr old and my 8 mth old to see him. Do you know if they have anything for them to do or play with??? This is such a crazy ordeal just to see him. Only 9 more mths. Thank god. And yes, PTO is a complete lifesaver. Everyone on here is sooo helpful. I love it!! Thank you again!!

Anjewel
11-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Well, you know...they do make push up bras with hard plastic instead of wire for the 'wires'. My daughter much prefers them as she says they don't cut her as bad.

They had lots of things to play with the last time I was there. Building blocks, puzzles, several different things.

Got anymore questions, just ask.

And, you are welcome.

sta4565
04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
my friend has put in for a transfer to okaloosa ci and we just want to find out anything we can on the faclity. thank you for any in put you might be able to give. thank you :confused:

1Rollie
04-21-2009, 07:14 AM
dc.state.us/facilities/region 1
Let me know if you find it. Good Luck

WorkerB
09-08-2009, 12:32 AM
I noticed not many posts on here lately so just dropped in:

Everything still pretty much the same, waer loose fitting clothing, no sleevless, no tank top, no shorts, no mini skirts, no see through, etc. Always keep a jacket handy just in case. Some of these officers are ridiculous (even to other female staff members)

Here's a funny note; You (nor we non uniformed staff) can wear anything deemed see thorough. Trust me, if they can see your bra through the shirt you are wearing, to them, it is see through. Well, our new Colonel reported in the other and in the photos they took welcoming her, as big as day, you could visibly see her entire bra outlined thorugh her white uniform shirt! I almost popped a blood vessel trying to keep my mouth shut on that one ya'll!:D

Anyway, we no longer have outside microwaves, they have them inside the indoor visiting park area because they now have an indoor canteen instead of a lot of vending machines although they do still have a few vending machines left. It is suggested you bring no bills larger than 10.00.
I think the max amount is still 60.00 but you may want to verify. Still can bring 1 unopened pack of cigarettes in, no matches, no bic brand lighters. Just pick up one of those cheapie lighters (I buy a 10 pack at Wally world for less than 2.00 bucks)
They do use the hand reader system, if you are already registered in the system, if not it will take a few extra minutes to process you. Yes, do bring your picture ID anyway.
Our Colonel is new to us, so I cannot give advise on how she will handle things, we'll soon see. If you have problems with a particular staff person at visitation, call and speak to Assistant Warden Carr (not Richards), he is fair and reasonable.
The institution is undergoin losts of changes, most of lomg term staff bailed to other institutions when they started sending in the administration we currently have, we called the first new Colonel the GESTAPO, but he was gone in about a year, then we got a newly promoted Colonel, he tred to make all the inmates think he was their friend, sadly when the chips were down they often learned this was not so. Fortunately, he left us as well after less than and a year and now if fighting the fact he was demoted to a C.O. 1(entry level correctional officer) and returned to where he came from :p
The Warden is a yes man to Region and the classification supervisor is just a jerk to staff and inmates equally. So you will not likely feel a lot of love at this institution right now. For the most part though (with the exception of one Captain) the inmates are being treated fair.
If your man is in confinement ask which Captain had him locked up. Ask enough and you'll find the pattern. We complain but it falls on deaf ears at all levels.

Any specific Okaloosa issues, PM me and I'll do what I can to help.

kybluebird
10-31-2009, 04:25 PM
hotels in area:

Hampton Inn
3709 S Ferdon Blvd
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536

Comfort Inn Crestview
4040 S Ferdon Blvd.
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 423-1200

Holiday Inn
4050 S. Ferdon Blvd.
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 682-6111

Days Inn
4255 S Ferdon Blvd
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 682-8842

Econo Lodge Crestview
3107 S Ferdon Blvd
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 682-6255

Hampton Inn Crestview
3709 S Ferdon Blvd
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536

Jameson Inn Crestview
151 Cracker Barrel Drive
CRESTVIEW, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 683-1778

Remember to book early...hotels are about 5-10 minutes away from prison..very close!
Take Fl-85 to little silver road (look for signs for correctional facility) and than turn in there and take a long road to the back and its there... :D
I was just in crestview visiting my man in county. I stayed at the best western crestview 900 southcrest blvd. crestview FL 32536 phone 850-682-1481. The girl at the counter was very nice. She let me have a room for $55.00 a night. It was a very nice room, with nice ppl. I will stay there again if my man gets moved to CI there.

WorkerB
12-12-2009, 07:35 AM
UPDATING AGAIN:

Our new Colonel seems to be a good lady. So far she has exercised good judgment and fairness in the situations she has had to deal with. Staff are still a bit overly stringent on the dress code, so be very conservative, always have a light jacket available in case they decide your blouse is to sheer, if your driving, I'd probably have a spare pair of pants available to just in case! They are extremely picky and do not bend on this at all, even with non-uniformed staff, so it's nothing personal to visitors.
If you feel security staff are not being fair, I'd advise not arguing the point with them, you will only wind up getting suspended. Ask for the OIC or Duty warden and discuss the issue with them. It will likely delay your entrance for a few minutes but they will calmly listen to your side and have a rational discussion with you.
The canteen is still operational indoors with a few extra vending machines outdoors. Most of the other rules remain the same.

skiylazdaddy
04-23-2010, 09:19 PM
My hubby just got moved there haven't heard ANYTHING from him and he's been there over a month thats not like him and .. keep getting Answering machines for the Classifacation office.. no return phone call....

Thanx,
Worried :,(

skiylazdaddy
04-23-2010, 09:25 PM
My hubby just got moved there haven't heard ANYTHING from him and he's been there over a month thats not like him and .. keep getting Answering machines for the Classifacation office.. no return phone call....

Thanx,

wifeofMichael
04-24-2010, 05:49 AM
My husband was at the Work Camp twelve years ago. It wasn't bad then, not as bad as what we've seen at ACI. The guards at visitation were nice. I did have to jump on the money guy the first day he was moved because they showed him with a zero balance, it was a Friday and the dude was going on vacation. But that was before they centralized things. It is waayyyy out, long road. But there are hotels right near the interstate and it's not difficult to find. Basically if you are heading East you get off the interstate and take a left and go down several miles until you see a sign that points to the road for the prison. Then you drive that long road until you see the prison.

Is your phone on? Did you send him stamps, paper, envelopes?

MENELSGURL
04-24-2010, 01:31 PM
My ex brother in law is there he says its pretty straight . I am glad cause prisons can be a little bogus. But im glad all of you that has someone there is proud of where they are.

ben's girl
04-24-2010, 03:41 PM

Thanx,

Is your number approved for him to call you? If so, have you checked to make sure it's not blocked?

Does he have writing supplies? If he's in the box he will not have access to these supplies. You will need to send him stamps, paper and envelopes. You can send him a book of stamps, 10 envelopes and 10 sheets of paper in 1 envelope. You can also send the same amount if he's not in the box as he might not have any money to buy these things from the canteen if you or someone else hasn't sent him any.

Have you tried calling the Classification Supervisor or the Chaplain to see about him?

lin787
04-27-2010, 04:44 PM
You are so right paralegal. Its hard to describe. lol

skiylazdaddy
04-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Is your number approved for him to call you? If so, have you checked to make sure it's not blocked?

Does he have writing supplies? If he's in the box he will not have access to these supplies. You will need to send him stamps, paper and envelopes. You can send him a book of stamps, 10 envelopes and 10 sheets of paper in 1 envelope. You can also send the same amount if he's not in the box as he might not have any money to buy these things from the canteen if you or someone else hasn't sent him any.

Have you tried calling the Classification Supervisor or the Chaplain to see about him?

YEs i've called both classification and the chaplain... GOt machines for both with no return calls..... And my expierence from last facility They don't help anyways.......

WorkerB
08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Ski:

I realize this post is from April but are you sure you were calling Okaloosa CI? We do not have voicemail or answering machines for any of our phones. Especially in classification, when we are going to be out of our office for a few minutes we have to transfer the calls to the department secretary or if not you will just get a ring until it rolls back to the switchboard operator.
We do not even have a direct call system, yep, you still reach a main switchboard and the operator transfers you to the person you need, but we don't have machines.

Thanx,

wifeofMichael
08-23-2010, 04:47 AM
My husband was at the Work Camp twelve years ago. It wasn't bad then, not as bad as what we've seen at ACI. The guards at visitation were nice. I did have to jump on the money guy the first day he was moved because they showed him with a zero balance, it was a Friday and the dude was going on vacation. But that was before they centralized things. It is waayyyy out, long road. But there are hotels right near the interstate and it's not difficult to find. Basically if you are heading East you get off the interstate and take a left and go down several miles until you see a sign that points to the road for the prison. Then you drive that long road until you see the prison.

Is your phone on? Did you send him stamps, paper, envelopes?

God I suck at directions. If you are heading EAST you get off and take a right, WEST you get off and take a left. BAH!

skiylazdaddy
08-30-2010, 01:42 AM
Ski:

I realize this post is from April but are you sure you were calling Okaloosa CI? We do not have voicemail or answering machines for any of our phones. Especially in classification, when we are going to be out of our office for a few minutes we have to transfer the calls to the department secretary or if not you will just get a ring until it rolls back to the switchboard operator.
We do not even have a direct call system, yep, you still reach a main switchboard and the operator transfers you to the person you need, but we don't have machines.

I fianlly heard from my husband ... but now i'm having alot of trouble getting Answers on things that are going on right now..... And i'm getting very angry.. my family Has called diffrent times to get information cause we live in diffrent states each time someone has called Classifacation Gives diffrent stories to said event... I'm done with the Multiple storys only one has matched my husbands.. and it was from a male who answered the phone and said he was high up in classifacation.. but if this one story was true then this prison has Totally fucked my husband .... I don't know where to turn next.. tried callin the warden but he has always "not in the office"

My husbands safety is at risk.. and I don't like that i'm getting the run arounds and no answers.....

freakshow
11-12-2010, 06:36 PM
I left Okaloosa in May, 2010. Wasn't the worst camp I was ever at. If your looking for something to do, its quite boring! Canteen was pretty accessible because its such a small camp. The library is OK, But the rec yard is a dust bowl. Staff treated us better than reception centers and the visitation area is good. Classification was always polite to my mother and did the best to answer her questions as well as mine (mostly). Most people get sent there for Modality 1, DOC's version of a drug treatment program. It last 4-6 months. And its taught by people with NO experience in substance abuse. (my counselor tried to equate her quitting tobacco after a few months to my 15 yr struggle with substances that are NOT tobacco). A silver lining there is that once thats completed they are real good at shipping inmates to the work camp. Once at the work camp things pick up a bit. Inmates leave the facility on the weekdays to work around the county... making time speed by I.M.O. Work camps are one step closer to work release! I was more comfortable at "joke-a-loosa than at Walton C.I.

As for camps in the Pan-Handle of Fl. Okaloosa is a much better place than most Region 1 camps! There are some *&^%-holes in Reg 1.

The television stations there come from Panama City and P-Cola. But the converters need to be programmed and there are more blank stations than receiving ones.

Seems like there were only 3 jobs available. Houseman, inside grounds which never work, and the dreaded kitchen! That kitchen really is a hell hole! People beg for modality to get out of the kitchen!

edit... I forgot. The food at Okaloosa is the worst food ive ever had in my life! If your children came home from school with this stuff the entire school would be fired! The head of the kitchen at Okal. C.I. has been there for years She does not care what happens, She will not throw bad food out! They will serve cabbage for breakfast and "turkey ham" for 5 straiqht meals. I witnessed this myself!! Not 5 days in a row, 5 consecutive meals!! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, breakfast and lunch again. She will skip the DOC appointed menu at will. If she ever gets a deal on food, That's what your having! Unless its good... She'll ship it to another institution. The woman is related to Satan!

If your loved one ask for more money because of the food, He's not lying to you.... I lost 56 pounds in the 8 months I was at O.C.I. They bring a plate up to the "picture guy" on visitation days... Check out his tray when you visit. Youll see something you never want to see again!

WorkerB
01-02-2011, 05:46 AM
YEs i've called both classification and the chaplain... GOt machines for both with no return calls..... And my expierence from last facility They don't help anyways.......

Skiylazdaddy:
Hope you got your situation fixed. I am not sure what number you were calling but Okaloosa CI has no direct lines, answering machines, or voice mail for any of their phones/departments. You always get a live person when you call, even if it is only the switchboard operator. After hours the control room answers phones. If the switchboard transfers you to a specific department or person and the phone is not answered, it automatically rolls your call back to the switchboard operator. If you call Okaloosa and get an answering machine or voice mail, recheck the number you are calling. (850) 682-0931 is Okaloosa. Sometimes folks get Okeechobee mixed up with Okaloosa, someone may have given you the incorrect phone number.
Anyway, after all this time I hope you've found answers to your questions and have been able to contact your loved one.

B

lin787
05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
What do I need to know? I have a hotel and a map.:)

Do I have to do the whole new visitor thing again? Im approved, but I mean the new girl who is holding up the line.:)

Hours 8 to 2?

canteen or vending machines?

Who gets in line first? Is there a "Queen must be first?" yes Im bad.:eek:

ben's girl
05-16-2011, 11:36 AM
lin, since you've visited at previous facilities you will not have to go thru the paperwork that new visitors go thru ever again. That's a one time thing. I know some people have posted about sign-up sheets or something like that, but that's not the same thing.

Other than that, I don't have anything to offer you about Okaloosa. Good luck!

lin787
06-20-2011, 05:52 PM
I swear, its a loony bin. They are far more interested in opening your pack of cigs than anything else. You tell her what jewerly your wearing, they dont seem to be looking. 9 earrings and 6 rings will not bring the guards head up:) lol

Last week a woman and her baby was waiting to get searched, she had her hands full with car seat, etc and was sorta lagging behind, so I was called in next. when I came back out...... her and I were both taken to the visiting room. Im thinking wtf????? she told me when leaving she was scared the whole time she was there. She was back this past weekend, so all must be ok.

Some guards check the bottom of your feet, others look at you like your crazy if you try to show them.

I will touch lightly on a very serious problem there. guard and inmate. enough said, that I dare say.

you must sit outside in the little hut till someone announces you can start. Only 5 people are allowed it at a time. (only- meaning your sorta squished sometimes) put in your number and do the hand thing. They start around 7:20 as near as I can figure out.

There are less than 20 inmates in visiting, rather quiet compared to some places.

Microwaves are inside and outside in the covered outside area. It has picnic tables. Mothers are not allowed to sit next to their son, but at 1:30 when they close the outside, anyone and everyone can sit any old way on the metal folding chairs that are jammed up against each other.

I dont think there is a dress code (Im sure there is somewhere) skinny jeans, low neck tops, sweaters 3 sizes too small. No one seems to care. One lady they did stop, but gave her a big t shirt to wear. This past Sunday there was a lady there with her whole shoulder out. I could only think ut oh, but nothing was said or done. She was a large lady, and a lot of the shoulder was showing.

Inmates come out right at 8a, or a couple of mins before. The guards seem to pay little or no attention to what is going on.

Well stocked store,, pop machine inside and one outside. $1.50 of coarse. There is absolutly no cross talking. None, nada!! I assume it must have been a problem at one time.

oh....one guard is very very picky about not touching each other in a picture, well sorta, sometimes. ack!!! Count is only done once. No one has to go inside or move anywhere. Done by dorms for the lines.

Leaving at 2p becomes a 3 ring circus. How ever you fall in line is fine, 5 at a time. They pay no attention to what you are carring out. just hurry up and put your number in. If it dont work the first time, they say thats ok, go ahead. Parking is close by, I liked that. There are lockers there for your use, you will need your drivers license to get a key.