View Full Version : Care Packages

Val6968
01-13-2003, 11:57 PM
I want to send my uncle a care package (he's incarcerated at Lancaster Prison in CA). When I called the prison and inquired on what I could send, I was told that he would have to send me a form that would list the appropriate items he could receive.

Well, I haven't heard from my uncle in regards to this form, so I thought I'd ask PTO on what I could send him.

I've sent him books through Amazon ... I can only hope he received them. I send him paper and envelopes on a regular basis.

I want to send him food or a radio or CD's but I don't know if I can or what I can send him. Any hints, tips, or suggestions?

Do I have to wait for a form from him or can I just send him a care package?

What happens to the package when it gets to the prison? I suppose it's opened and searched -- but is it guaranteed to get to him (meaning ... no one can take it before he gets it, can they?)

Thanks in advance!

emme
01-14-2003, 12:00 AM
i think you really must wait for the form...you don't want to spend time/money on something that might not reach him, and which might not even get returned to you!

if the form doesn't come soon, request another.

good luck
emme

torrey
01-14-2003, 02:40 AM
Not only is it a list of items and rules it is also an approval form that has to be filled out by the prisoner. He sends you the package approval form which has to be attached to the outside of the box. It has to have your signature , box weight and return addres filled in.

LadyHawk
01-14-2003, 08:30 AM
You have to wait for the form as packages are on a quaterly basis. The form tells you what you may send. Food is difficult and there is alot of restrictions regarding type of food, quantity, packaging etc. Books must be paperback and have to come from someone that is approved, like Amazon or Barnes and Nobel. You cannot just send him a book. But you can send books and CDS anytime. Again CD's must come from an approved vendor ie Amazon, Barns and Nobel. They can only have 12 CDs at a time in their cell. You cannot send him a radio or tv. All appliances must be purchased from an approved vendor. Walkenhorst is an approved vendor and you can get alot of items including shoes, stereos, etc. Remember all items like radios must be clear. Walkenhorsts phone number is 800-660-9255 for ordering. Their main number is 707-255-4412. They will send you a catalog upon your request. The prison also has a catalog but I think if you order two catalogs you can send one to your Uncle. That way he can look and let you know what he wants and also make sure it is approved by Lancaster. Each prison has it's own rules on what is or isn't acceptable. You can also call the R&R department at Lancaster for information, though to be honest they are not always that helpful, but sometimes you get lucky. The phone number for R&R is 661-729-2000 ext. #5573. The packages are all opened and searched. You must also include 10 -15 1 gallon zip lock bags as items are opened and put into the ziplocks and then given to the inmate. I usually sent Ruben about $100 a month so that he could purchase items that could not be sent in. Plus receiving shampoo, toothpast etc on a quaterly basis doesn't last until the next package. They go to "the store" once a month unless on lockdown etc. Also, at times they will allow inmates to purchase food like from Taco Bell etc. The prison places the order and the food is brought in. It is usually pretty expensive as fast food goes and is done I think a couple times of year, but it beats the food inside. Always keep your receipts of purchases made through a vendor and copy of the shipping receipt. Send a copy to your Uncle. That way if something doesn't show up he has the documentation to take to R&R so they can locate it. Packages do take longer to be distrubted than letters. I THINK they get called to pick up an packages once a week. If they don't go that day then they have to wait until the following week. Hope this helps.

lulu
01-14-2003, 08:50 AM
Good luck steve. :)

Val6968
01-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks so much for the information everyone. Kathy, as always you provide such helpful info.

I finally heard from my uncle -- first letter in a month and I'm so relieved. I had asked him what his day was like in prison and he gives me a description, so I think I'll post it in another forum.

I did send him a couple of books through Amazon, so hopefully he got them. Now, does the books through Amazon count toward the quarterly amount?

Val

LadyHawk
01-14-2003, 09:18 PM
no books and cd's are seperate from a quarterly package. A quarterly package is all items off the form your uncle will send you in one box. Books and cd's can't be included as they must be sent directly from the approved vendor. Glad I was able to be of help. The weight limit for the box in the past has been 33 pounds and it has to be in a box the dimisions that are stated on the form. Make sure you put the form on the outside of the box as it is also the mailing label. I'm glad that I was able to help. Good luck. If you need any other help just holler.

B-Ray
01-14-2003, 09:42 PM
The 4th quarter package last year, the max weight was 30# in CA.

Val6968
01-14-2003, 09:48 PM
Cool - so if I'm hearing correctly, I could send him books and CDs from amazon at any time - right? Is there a limit? What about the electronics from amazon ... they sell CD Players too. Would that be allowed or do they have to go through Walkenhorst?

LadyHawk
01-14-2003, 10:21 PM
The best thing for you to do is call the R & R number I posted earlier in this thread. I know that they can have only 12 cd's at a time in their cell, not sure on the number of books. I don't know if there is a limit on how many at a time they can receive. Also, you might want to ask if you could send an applicance from Amazon. Remember, all appliances need to be clear and only certain designs, brands, sizes are allowed. That is why I recommended Walkenhorst as they are aware of what each prison will or will not allow. R & R also can give you a list of other approved vendors. Like I said earlier, sometimes they aren't real helpful. I stand corrected the weight is 30 pounds. Sorry for the error.

Val6968
01-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Thanks for your help, Kathy. I'll be sure to call R&R this week to get specific information.

tiamotzz
01-15-2003, 09:53 PM
it's cool that CA and other states accept packages. here in oregon it's books and newspapers/publications. nothing else!! it's very frustrating. just as an aside on that note do any prisons still allow smoking? they don't in oregon.

DeDe
01-16-2003, 11:16 AM
YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE FORM, IT HAS TO BE ATTACHED TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE PACKAGE AND IT CANNOT BE OVER 30 POUNDS. IM GETTING MINE READY THIS WEEK, MY MAN SENT ME HIS FORM, AND AS FOR HIS ELECTRONICS HE SENT ME A SPECIAL ORDER PURCHASE AND I SENT IT IN TO THE COMPANY THEY HAVE TO GO THROUGH. HE ALREADY GOT IT IT TOOK 3 WEEKS,

oceancove
09-01-2004, 03:45 AM
if you go to http://www.californiaqp.com they will tell you which facilities they serve and they only carry approved stuff..it's a great site for necessities.

check it out.

Jeanne

:angry: I want to send my uncle a care package (he's incarcerated at Lancaster Prison in CA). When I called the prison and inquired on what I could send, I was told that he would have to send me a form that would list the appropriate items he could receive.

Well, I haven't heard from my uncle in regards to this form, so I thought I'd ask PTO on what I could send him.

I've sent him books through Amazon ... I can only hope he received them. I send him paper and envelopes on a regular basis.

I want to send him food or a radio or CD's but I don't know if I can or what I can send him. Any hints, tips, or suggestions?

Do I have to wait for a form from him or can I just send him a care package?

What happens to the package when it gets to the prison? I suppose it's opened and searched -- but is it guaranteed to get to him (meaning ... no one can take it before he gets it, can they?)

Thanks in advance!

sweetpea
09-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Moving thread to Prison Mail forum for discussion

cbrey
09-22-2004, 01:30 PM
if you go to http://www.californiaqp.com (http://www.californiaqp.com/) they will tell you which facilities they serve and they only carry approved stuff..it's a great site for necessities.

check it out.

Jeanne

:angry:
Do you know if there is a site like this for the Federal Prison System?

sweetpea
09-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Do you know if there is a site like this for the Federal Prison System?

Have you checked out the Federal Prison Forum? There is a ton of information there, if you dont see you're answer there you may want to post your question there. There are many members who are always in that forum that can help you out!

melorib7050
02-19-2005, 10:32 AM
i sent my son a package thru walkenhorst on the 8th of january, he parolled on the 8th of febuary, but never recieved his dress out box. how can i find out if the box made it there, and how can we either get the cloths or the money back. i'm looking for the reciept, but as of yet not been able to locate it, do you think i'll be able to get any of it back? i would appreciate a quick reply because i don't know how long they keep the imates property. his name is glenn gosnell j89300, and he was in adelanto community correctional facility, i would appreciate anything you can find out at all, thank you. parolees mom