View Full Version : Kirkland Reception and Evaluation (R & E)

Pages : [1] 2

Imissdaddy
04-28-2004, 01:27 AM
My Dad just got tranferred from Cherokee County to Kirkland R&E in Columbia today. I haven't got to speak to him yet, But I found this great site ( thanks everybody) And it seems that Kirkland is a hard place, and really strict and rough for the inmates there holding there for evaluations. Does anyone know how long it takes to get transferred from there?

Kahlan
04-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Kirkland Reception and Evaluation Center (http://www.doc.sc.gov/InstitutionPages/Kirkland.htm) (Reception and Evaluation Center; Level 3)
Bernard McKie, Warden
4344 Broad River Road
Columbia, SC 29210
803-896-1521 or 803-896-8572

Web page:
http://www.doc.sc.gov/InstitutionPages/Kirkland.htm

7x77SC
09-25-2004, 09:48 AM
I visit my family member at Kirkland in Columbia.

Usually I have no problems with getting thru the lines(it is important to make sure you have been approved and anyone else with you). Also, when you go in make sure you only carry your ID, and only $10.00 per each visitor that is allowed. I always try to dress in shoes easy to slip out of, because you must take them off, and take any metal(jewelry, belts) before you go thru the metal detector. Sometimes the wait to get in can be long if you get behind someone who keeps beeping the metal detector. I may have been delayed for 30-45 minutes of my visitation time once or twice, but overall I think that they do a good job on getting you through.
Now, that being said, if you ask me about trying to deal with administration and legislators, and the governor..yes.. you might be wanting to tear your hair out.

zellie
09-30-2004, 11:46 AM
My husband Jerry is located in Aiken, South Carolina at the Lower Savannah Pre Release Center.
My brother is at Kirkland (two weeks) .....can anyone tell me about Kirkland or Broad River? He is in for sex offenses with minors. Will he live through jail? I've heard inmates are rough on guys like this. I really want the truth so anyone with knowledge of kirkland and my specific concerns please reply.
Thanks.
He got 5 years...plea deal.....so if he stays out of trouble will he get 18 months?
Our family is distraught ....never saw it coming.

7x77SC
09-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Zellie,
I don't know a lot about some of your questions, but I do know that Kirkland is a reception and evaluation center and he very well may be transferred someowhere else in the future. Kirkland is high security but is not (I think) a sex offender sight. You might want to check out the sex offender forum ..maybe someone there can help.

Hope all goes well

Kahlan
09-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Zellie,
He will be in Kirkland for about a month and will be moved to another prison after that. Conditions at Kirkland are rough. At least he will be there during a cooler month - there is no AC. He needs to keep to himself and not start any trouble and he should be ok. There are many sex offenders in prison with my fiance - more than you would imagine. No one bothers them and most of the guys don't know what they are in for. It's just not talked about. A common reply to the question when it is asked is drug charges or bad checks no matter what the true offense may be. They usually fall in with a group of friends and they look after each other. Send him lots of mail. He needs your support and the support of his family and friends to get through this.

zellie
09-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Zellie,
He will be in Kirkland for about a month and will be moved to another prison after that. Conditions at Kirkland are rough. At least he will be there during a cooler month - there is no AC. He needs to keep to himself and not start any trouble and he should be ok. There are many sex offenders in prison with my fiance - more than you would imagine. No one bothers them and most of the guys don't know what they are in for. It's just not talked about. A common reply to the question when it is asked is drug charges or bad checks no matter what the true offense may be. They usually fall in with a group of friends and they look after each other. Send him lots of mail. He needs your support and the support of his family and friends to get through this.
Thanks for the informatiion....I still want to know more from anyone who has a loved one at Kirkland or at Broad River(wher he may end up). Specifically about visitation
and what that is like and about prison routines. No letters yet....one phone call came
in. I had read that SO designation was spread around by prisoners whenever a
newbie comes in. Glad if that might not be true.
Please .....anyone.....give me information.'

Kahlan
09-30-2004, 10:41 PM
You never know where they will end up. My guy thought he was going to Tyger River but ended up at Allendale. They put them where they have beds available. You won't be able to visit at Kirkland unless he has been there for over a month. Get all your visitation paperwork in as soon as possible because it can take up to 8 weeks to get approved to visit. The paper work has to be sent to you by your brother.

Marchio1948
10-08-2004, 05:22 PM
My son was in Kirkland and hated it,then he was sent to Lie Ber,I think thats how it spelled.Now year later he is stting in Lex County waiting for a trial that should have been over.Does anyone know about Lexington County?

outgoing3
10-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Hello, my brother is in kirkland doing an 18 month sentence. What does it mean when they are doing straight time? Is that the whole sentence and they have to fulfill that obligation? He took the fall for someone else, never been in trouble in a day of his life. The courts definitely wanted the other guy, but my brother didnt turn him up. Thinking that a person without a previous conviction, hard working father would possibly get atleast house arrest or probation. The lawyer cost $4000.00 and sucked. He should have gotten a court appointed attorney for the deal that he got.

bsteph
12-01-2004, 06:34 PM
My 27-year-old son is currently at Kirkland R&E. His first letter to me was from J. Reuben Long detention facility. He said they get fed but not enough and that he is hungry all of the time. I have many concerns, but I am still in the shock stage, just kind of numb. I don't have a lot of money to send him and then I read about the DNA testing and taking money out of the inmate's account for stamps, etc. for indigent inmates. Is there any forum, etc., where I can find answers to general questions about inmate treatment, i.e., food, showers, clothing, etc? I have to start somewhere and of course basics, regardless of a child's age, is very important to any mother.

coolchik4sure
12-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Have you been to their website? I will post the link, but other than him sending you the info, or you calling SCDC (contact listing on website), I do not know of any other way. There is a forum leader, Kahlan, and she is great...she may know more.

http://www.state.sc.us/scdc/

Kahlan
12-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Thanks, Coolchick!
Bsteph - Kirkland is something that he's going to have to get through. Conditions are not good there, but it only lasts about a month. At least he's there during a cool month - (there is no A.C.). He will lose weight and basically have to work with their schedule. Housing is overcrowded. They put three men in a one man cell. Many inmates have to sleep on the floor. They are locked down all day and can leave only to go to the chow hall for breakfast at 5:00 am, lunch at 10:00am, and dinner at 4:30pm. They are given a a fifteen minute shower on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They are given a basic care package which includes 2 bars of soap, two four-ounce bottles of body wash and shampoo and four envelopes with paper. This has to last for 30 days. R&E is non-smoking. After he is moved, conditions should get better. Canteen money helps - even a small amount. Many inmates combine food items to make soup etc. and share with each other. I'm not sending much money because they are taking 10% a month out for DNA testing. This is being discussed in the media and the legislature. I'm hoping that they will find another source of funding and will stop drafting inmate accounts. All of these extra charges (especially expensive phone calls) are hard on families that are already financially and emotionally strapped. If he can get a job in the next prison, that will help both of you. It will break up his day and give him a little spending money. There is a forum on PTO for Parents with Children in Prison. Read the posts there and introduce yourself. This is a difficult time for all of us. Please know that we are here for you and understand what you are going through. This is a great site. I don't know how I would be getting along without it.

bsteph
12-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Thank you so much for replying. It is a comfort to know there is a support site with such wonderful people. Any information is reassuring. I have learned so much from this site already. I am in Michigan so I feel very lost with my son's situation at this point. I feel the most important thing right now is to just get as much information as I can so I can process and accept what is happening. I know he is responsible for his choices but as a mother I will never abandon him and the best way to do that is to have the power of knowledge.

Kahlan
12-03-2004, 08:07 AM
bsteph - I know you must be feeling lost being so far away from your son. I think that sometimes the guys don't tell us everything that's happening because they don't want us to worry. I find that not knowing causes me to worry more. I'm like you, I have to know everything. That way, I can deal with it and if I need to do something to help, I have a place to start. Hang in there. Send lots of mail. He needs to know that you are there for him and we will be here for you. Take Care.

Neyla
12-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi evryone,
My boyfriend has just been transferred to Kirkland, I haven't talked to him since he got there. I'm trying to figure out a way to send him a letter. But I know i need to know his living unit, that i cannot find anywhere... PLease, if u have the slightest idea let me know!!! Thanks

coolchik4sure
12-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Here are some links and information that you may find helpful. This information is from kahlan, forum leader:

Kirkland is something that he's going to have to get through. Conditions are not good there, but it only lasts about a month. At least he's there during a cool month - (there is no A.C.). He will lose weight and basically have to work with their schedule. Housing is overcrowded. They put three men in a one man cell. Many inmates have to sleep on the floor. They are locked down all day and can leave only to go to the chow hall for breakfast at 5:00 am, lunch at 10:00am, and dinner at 4:30pm. They are given a a fifteen minute shower on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They are given a basic care package which includes 2 bars of soap, two four-ounce bottles of body wash and shampoo and four envelopes with paper. This has to last for 30 days. R&E is non-smoking. After he is moved, conditions should get better. Canteen money helps - even a small amount. Many inmates combine food items to make soup etc. and share with each other. I'm not sending much money because they are taking 10% a month out for DNA testing. This is being discussed in the media and the legislature. I'm hoping that they will find another source of funding and will stop drafting inmate accounts. All of these extra charges (especially expensive phone calls) are hard on families that are already financially and emotionally strapped. If he can get a job in the next prison, that will help both of you. It will break up his day and give him a little spending money. There is a forum on PTO for Parents with Children in Prison. Read the posts there and introduce yourself. This is a difficult time for all of us. Please know that we are here for you and understand what you are going through. This is a great site. I don't know how I would be getting along without it.

http://www.state.sc.us/scdc/

Neyla
12-12-2004, 09:26 PM
My man is at Kirkland SC

Kahlan
12-13-2004, 07:54 AM
You have to wait for him to send you a letter with his unit number. They usually won't give you this over the phone because some inmates don't want to receive mail.

Abby34744
12-13-2004, 11:45 AM
MY SON IS IN SOUTH CAROLINA HES IN TUBERVILLE NOW BUT WHEN HE WAS IN KIRKLAND I NEVER HAD TO HAVE A UNIT NUMBER...GO TO DOC.STATE.SC.US AND SEE IF YOU CAN LOCATE HIM THERE.....GOOD LUCK

Kahlan
12-13-2004, 11:58 PM
When my guy was in Kirkland, I was able to send him one letter without the unit number. After that, I got the number in the mail from him. (He's written to me every day for almost 2 years.) I thought that might have changed, so I called Kirkland this morning and they said that because of overcrowding, they won't deliver mail without the unit number. I hope that you will hear from him soon!

SCDC Mom
12-15-2004, 07:28 AM
Bsteph, I felt your pain as I read your post. Any time a child is locked up is horrible for a parent but I think that those first days are the worst. I remember those days with great pain. I do remember however, my son sharing some funny things that happened at R&E while he was there. They wet toilet paper and molded it into chess pieces then drew a board on the floor. He learned to play chess and actually met some guys that helped him through it.

I am new also so I'm going to try the parents forum. Good luck to you and your son. I will pray for you.

Kahlan
12-15-2004, 08:17 AM
I love that story, SCDC Mom! Your son sounds like a great guy!

stevesmom
12-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Kirkland is hard. Steven lost 20 pounds while there, and he is a little guy and could ill afford to lose any! But he got though and is now fat! In my eyes as compared to other times.He slept on the floor as they have 3 to a 2 bunk cell. But that only last for a little while. Tyger River is pretty nice. He likes it there as much as a person can like prison. He stays busy. It really pisses me off that they take 10% of what I send him each month but what can I do... He is SC I am in VA and I am not going to have him do without. So they have us just where they want us!
I love that story, SCDC Mom! Your son sounds like a great guy!

bsteph
12-25-2004, 10:46 PM
I heard from my son this week. He is still in Kirkland R&E. He has one cellmate. He said he is gaining weight from the carbs (that is a good thing). He says he has learned to like new things such as cow and chicken liver and grits. It made me smile a little as he was a very picky eater and wouldn't try new things. He says he gets lots of biscuits. He also says the conditions are much better than when he was in the county jail (he will be going back there this week). He attends bible study three times a week. He is in good spirits. He says he realizes how self-centered he has always been and realizes family is the most important thing to him. I just feel bad that he had to go to prison to learn those things. I cannot change his situation or the consequences of his actions but I told him I will never abandon him. I told my other son today (Christmas) that at least I knew my son was not drunk or high in jail and there was some peace of mind knowing that. I pray a lot for Allen and I send letters. That is all that I can do for him but I feel that as long as he knows he is loved he will be okay in any situation.

titantoo
12-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Just wanted to welcome you and SCDCMum to PTO.
As you already know, this is a womderful site full of knowledgeable and caring folks who always do their utmost to help and support you when they can.
Sorry I cannot help you on your questions...as a father I can really sympathise with your love and concern for your son.

lived2tell
12-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Please see my thread for further info on finding someone in South Carolina DOC here:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=916985#post916985

Kahlan
12-27-2004, 01:13 PM
It sounds like Allen is adjusting and thinking about things. I know that makes you feel better. Why is he going back to county jail?

McCardMcNeiece
03-21-2005, 11:28 PM
i got my fiences SCDC# and SID off the inmate search on the SCDC page. im glad i did but i also just had to call up to Kirkland and they gave me his number but they said I MUST have it on the letter for him to recieve mail. Donald is sitting there waiting to be moved somewhere for his Shock Treatment. I heard the longest they can keep him in Kirkland was 30 days thats true right?

Kahlan
03-22-2005, 08:34 AM
No, they can keep him there until there is an opening for him. The average is 30 days but it can go beyond that.

SCDC Mom
03-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Kahlan is absolutely correct. They kept my son there 51 days. However, after an inmate is there for 30 days, you can request a visit. (I did and was granted one.) It really helped the both of us.

ajap
03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Lexington is high cotton compared to Columbia or Charleston; I know as I've been to all of them as well as a few more.

McCardMcNeiece
03-24-2005, 10:53 PM
hey scdc mom did your son have to send you a visitation paper? or did you just call and request one?

SCDC Mom
04-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi!

I visited my son there right after he went to prison. That was about 6 years ago. I think that I had to call for an appointment but I'm not sure. I do remember that I was able to carry in my car key, drivers license and a roll of quarters it's probably $15 now since the amount has been increased at all prisons when just 1 person is visiting. We were put into a room with about 8 or 10 small tables (2 chairs per table I believe). They brought the inmates in all at one time and they came into the room and sat at the table with their visitors. The room was a little small and cramped. The visitors could get up and go into the regular visitation room to purchase snacks and drinks from machines for themselves and the inmates. I remember that the first visit my son drank like 5 or 6 sodas. They are usually very hungry for something good after being at Kirkland for 30 days.

I was able to hug and kiss my son hello and goodbye only. He was there for about 45 days. They wanted to send him to Lieber which is about 5 hours from my home and I had already put in a hardship transfer to McCormick for him so they held him until they had an open bed at McCormick.

Hope this has helped.

SCDC Mom
05-05-2005, 12:04 PM
I just received some more questions from someone and thought I would post the answer(s) here so that it could benefit someone else in the near future. If any of this information is not correct (it has been awhile since my son was at Kirkland), please feel free to correct it. Thanks.

1. How long will Kirkland keep an inmate before shipping them out?

I believe they can keep them up to 45 days but most are gone within the first 30 days.

2. How long should my loved one be incarcerated before he can apply for a hardship transfer?

We got a letter from my father-in-law's doctor immediately stating that it would be unhealthy or dangerous for him to travel further than 50 miles. You can also get a hardship for someone over 65 and/or from a minister stating that it would be a severe hardship on a family to travel over a certain distance. You usually don't write a letter just get a letter from a doctor or get a copy of a driver's license (for an ederly immediate family member) along with a short letter stating why it is a hardship, or get your minister to write the letter. The inmate then gives it to his caseworker.

3. How do I go about getting on my inmate's visitation list?

The inmate is given visitation applications when they are requested. He then mails them home. We have to complete the application and send it to central visitation in Charleston. (HINT:) Always keep a copy of the application as they seem to take forever or at least several weeks to approve sometimes. They are also known for losing them. If you application is lost, ask them for a fax number to send another copy.

4. Finally, remember that R & E is the worst pretty much. Once the inmate gets to the facility that they are assigned to, it will get better. NOT good but better.

McCardMcNeiece
05-09-2005, 12:37 AM
well i do know for a fact that they can hold someone longer than 45 days, Donald has been waiting to get moved for 56days so far.

for anyone else with a loved one in kirkland waiting to go to Shock Treatment they move inmates to shock every 2 wednesdays (the next move is May 11th)

barky586
06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
We sent a money order today and I figured since that would take a week or so for my son-in-law to get, I just sent him $20 through J-Pay. I don't know what his needs will be when he first gets in. Does anyone know when spend days would be? Thanks!

SCDC Mom
06-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Inmates do not get to go to the "canteen" during their first several weeks in R & E to my knowledge. If he is a regular inmate at Kirkland, spend days vary from week to week.

McCardMcNeiece
06-13-2005, 12:52 AM
i know the inmates cant go to the canteen at all while there going through r&e, donald had to have someone get him his stuff. and they let him do that. i think that the guy that got donald his stuff could go every two days or so. but im not to sure.

joey's wife
06-22-2005, 07:42 PM
I AM POSTING THIS INFO SO MAYBE SOMEBODY WILL NOT HAVE TO MAKE AS MANY CALLS AS I DID. MY HUSBAND WAS SENT TO KIRKLAND, COLUMBIA, SC AND THIS IS MY FIRST TIME DOWN THIS ROCKY ROAD SO HOPE THIS HELPS..
HE HAS BEEN THERE SINCE 06-02-05 AND I HAVE GOTTEN 4 LETTERS FROM HIM TO DATE....THEY GIVE EACH INMATE 4 ENVELOPES A MONTH BUT THEY MUST ASK FOR THEM. ALSO THEY MUST SUBMIT A TELEPHONE PRIV. LIST OF THE PEOPLE THEY WANT TO CALL AND THEN A FORM SCDC FORM 2-3 MUST BE SENT TO THE FAMILY MEMBERS WITHIN NINTY (90) DAYS FOR PERM TELEPHONE PRIV.. HERE WE GO AGAIN THEY MUST ASK FOR THESE FORMS. THEY MUST ALSO ASK FOR A VISITORS FORM SCDC FORM 19-127 AND SEND THIS TO FAMILY MEMBERS TO FILL OUT AND RETURN TO THE ADDRESS THAT IS PROVIDED. IF THEY HAVE MEDICAL PROBLEMS BE SURE TO GET THE RECORDS YOUSELF AND SEND THEM TO INMATES RECORD DIVISION AS THE COUNTY JAIL DO NOT SEND ANYTHING WITH THEM. ALSO IF THEY HAVE SERVED TIME FOR CRIMES WHILE IN COUNTY JAIL GO TO YOUR COURTHOUSE AND GET COPIES OF THAT AND SEND TO INMATES RECORDS DIVISION. FAX # 803-896-2750. IT TOOK ME UNTILL TODAY TO FIGURE ALL THIS OUT ON MY OWN SO I WANTED TO HELP SOMEBODY WHO DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE AS I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO . MY HUSBAND CHOSE NOT TO HIRE AN ATTORNEY DUE TO BEING GUILTY OF HIS PAROLE VIOLATION AND 3 OTHER CRIMES PETIT LARCENCY ,DUI AND SIMPLE POSSESSION OF MARJ. SO WHEN KIRKLAND SAID HE STILL HAS WARRENTS PENDING IN FLORENCE I GOT BUSY AND STARTED MAKING PHONE CALLS SO WHEN HE IS RELEASED THIS WILL NOT SHOW UP AS PENDING WARRENTS..I TRULY HOPE ALL OF THIS HELPS SOMEONE WHO IS AT THEIR WITS ENDS AND NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO.
IF I HAVE POSTED IN TH WRONG THREAD PLEASE MOVE IT SO THIS INFO CAN BE READ BY SOMEBODY WHO FEELS LIKE PULLING THEIR HAIR OUT...BY THE WAY MY HUSBAND WAS GIVEN PERMISSION TO CALL ME AT 6:00 PM DUE TO ME NOT BEING HOME WHEN THEY ARE ALLOWED TO CALL IN THE DAYTIME,AGAIN TEHY MUST ASK.......LOVE AND PRAYERS TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE FEELING THE WAY I AHVE FOR THE PAST 20 DAYS. IF I CAN HELP ANYONE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME OR POST HERE I WLL GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH YOU AS I CHECK IN HERE EVERY DAY....THIS ALSO MIGHT HELP IN OTHER STATES TOO!!!! SHEILA:thumbsup: :D

BuTTaFLyy
06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
thanks so much for the info sheila,God bless!

joshsmom221
07-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Oh, thank you so much, Joey's wife. My son was sent to Kirkland 6/29. I wrote down notes and I'll send Joshua a letter telling him what forms to ask for. I have afew questions.

#1 - When you say get medical records are you saying I should go to our physicians office and get his medical records or I should go to the county jail and ask for a copy of the records where the doctor saw him there?

#2 - I'm real confused about this time served thing. Joshua was in county for almost 5 months but only 1 week after his guilty plea. Does he get credit for the whole 5 months or just for the 1 week? Do you remember which office you asked for at the courthouse? I'm sure I'd seem pretty unsmart going up to someone and asking "where do I get a form for time served in the county jail"? Then again, that is what I want to know. hehehe

#3 - The fax number you gave is for Inmate Records Division. Do I fax both the time served form from the county and the medical records at the same time and to the same place?

I'm sorry to have so many questions but everything about this is new to me. Thank you so much for sharing your information and helping those of us coming after you.

Sherrie (Josh's Mom)

joey's wife
07-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Oh, thank you so much, Joey's wife. My son was sent to Kirkland 6/29. I wrote down notes and I'll send Joshua a letter telling him what forms to ask for. I have afew questions.

#1 - When you say get medical records are you saying I should go to our physicians office and get his medical records or I should go to the county jail and ask for a copy of the records where the doctor saw him there?

#2 - I'm real confused about this time served thing. Joshua was in county for almost 5 months but only 1 week after his guilty plea. Does he get credit for the whole 5 months or just for the 1 week? Do you remember which office you asked for at the courthouse? I'm sure I'd seem pretty unsmart going up to someone and asking "where do I get a form for time served in the county jail"? Then again, that is what I want to know. hehehe

#3 - The fax number you gave is for Inmate Records Division. Do I fax both the time served form from the county and the medical records at the same time and to the same place?

I'm sorry to have so many questions but everything about this is new to me. Thank you so much for sharing your information and helping those of us coming after you.

Sherrie (Josh's Mom)o.k. here is what you do...call the office of clerk of court, and give them your sons id# and if he has served time for any of his crimes call the city office, county, have them fax you a copy of time served if the judge gave him time served while he was in county jail. The county jail will not sent this to kirkland so we (loved ones must take action) then fax all that to inmates div at Kirkland...The time they serve in jail will go forward on the sentence but that will take time,(my husband's isn't showing up yet).The city court faxed mine for me and faxed me a copy so keep all copies of everything you get. Have you M.D. fax his medical records if he has any medical needs..then be ready to repeat all of this again when he is transfered. joey callled me tonight and he was transfered to McCormick Correctional and he's a Level 2 mcCormick is level 3 so be ready for anything. They did not forward any of the info I faxed. This is new to me too so just keep copies of everything....You will also have to fill out another visitation form for the next prison they send him too..Who knows wehn I will get to see Joey...This is a crazy system we have. non-violent inmates are in Level 3 prisons...I can't believe it!!! Hope this helps some.....Sheila:)

joshsmom221
07-26-2005, 02:29 AM
Boy, I am glad I decided to surf around the listings. I missed this. Thank you, Sheila. I did go to the detention center at Lexington. They told me that Josh's money and his medical records went with him to Kirkland. Josh wrote that the doctors at Kirkland did have his medical records so I guess that went ok. I'm wondering if I need the letter about time served. The judge did order him credit for time served and the SCDC webpage says his sentence started February 20th which isn't correct. He was arrested on Feb. 15th, so I don't know where the 20th comes from. I have to call the clerk of court tomorrow to ask yet again about getting a transcript of the court appearance so I'll put down to ask if I need a letter from them about the time served thing. Thank you so much, Sheila for helping me. There is so much to do and learn. Now the kid has me researching PCR. I wonder if it will ever end.
Sherrie

joey's wife
07-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Keep Checcking His Profile To See If They Change His Start Time! I CHECK Joey's And Its Still Not Right After 4 Months...maybe They Will Get It Changed,Josh Needs To Keep Asking Also Once He Gets Moved To Where He Is Going To Serve His Time... By The Way It Never Ends....Joey Always Has Something For Me To Look Up For Him.mostly Songs,he's Singing In The Choir At Mccormick...he Has A Beautiful Voice If I Do Say So Myself Haha Sheila

joshsmom221
07-27-2005, 09:13 PM
I wish I could sing even 1 note. Sometimes I forget there are other people in the house and I'm taking a shower and I let myself go. Before long someone is banging on the door screamming for me to shut the ---- up! Completely rude, if you ask me.:) Though I do have to admit that my voice and a frog are not to far apart. I'm happy for Joey, though. Singing can be such a stress reliever. I think that's why I like to drive by myself. I can spin down the interstate, crank up the volume on the radio and sing to my hearts content. And nobody tells me to shut up. Wouldn't it be wonderful to go for a visit and hear the choir perform and there would be Joey, singing like a bird?

I'll keep after Josh to stay on top of the time served thing. I don't know if 5 days makes much difference. Then again, I'd imagine 5 minutes would matter to someone going through it. I think Josh should be leaving Kirkland soon. Friday he will be there 30 days. That's the hard part. Knowing he's going to be moved and not knowing where. Knowing they won't forward mail but not wanting to not write because I don't want him to feel I didn't care enough to write. Since they didn't get mail out for 2 weeks I assume we won't get approved for a visit. I just got the paperwork and returned it last week. I hope a visit comes soon though. I guess I assumed when the 30 days was over we could just drive out there and see him. But, we have to wait to be told we can visit, right? In other words, Kirkland won't let us visit just because the 30 days are up. Do we have to wait for the paperwork to go through? Do you know approx. how long that takes? Oh, do you know if moving him messes up visitation? Will he have to wait another 30 days to see us or are we waiting on that all important approval notification and it won't matter where he's at? Well, I guess if he gets into trouble we wouldn't be able to see him but if he doesn't get into trouble about how long does it take?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions. I guess I'm like all of us and wish I had never had to learn how to manuever around DOC. I've still got some anger at my son about that but I'm trying to move on and not cry over spilled milk.

Thank you, Shiela for being such an encourager and inspiration to me. I would be lost without the support and love shown to me by so many people on PTO.

God bless you,
Sherrie

joey's wife
07-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Joey was moved on a Thurs and they let him call me that morning before he left and then I called McCormick and they told me I was approved so it didn't take long for the paperwork to be approved so by the time they move him you should be able to visit. call Kirkland and check on it. they were very nice to me the 2 times I called them but when they move him be sure to call and check onit too. No more paperwork to fill out. The one you sent is all you will have to do. I was so thankful for that. Joey bugs them about his time served but they still haven't changed it on his profile yet. Joey and I both sing. we sing together too. When I visit he will sing me a new song he has learned. We have a singing machine but I don't sing anymore. It just sits in my office. Its not fun without him. He has told me to go out and sing but I just don't want to.....hope the info has made you feel better. tell Josh to try and call when they transfer him.. Maybe he will go to McCormick and we will meet! Has he finished with all the tests and medical yet? If so it won't be long untill he is transfered. Joey was out of there in about 28 days...Keep your chin up and I will keep praying for you and your family.....Sheila

joshsmom221
07-28-2005, 10:05 PM
I will tell Josh to request that he be allowed to call. He didn't call today. I guess there are alot of people who need to use the phones. Tomorrow he will be at Kirkland 30 days. I think he's been through the testing. He said something about being classified this week.

That would be awesome to actually meet some of the wonderful people who have helped me so much. And sis, Joey is right. Having a beautiful voice is a blessing and a talent.

Well, as I wrote this I got a call from Josh. He has been sent to Evans in Bennettsville. Where the heck is Bennettsville?!! He's really upset. This is a level 3 institution and he's level MI2, whatever that means. 2 1/2 hours from Columbia. I don't get it. Everyone seems to have such a long way to visit. They should turn it over to us and let us place the inmates - we'd trade and get them closer to their families. Yeah, right! Well, I guess I'd better go see what I can learn about Evans. I gotta pray hard about this one.

Sherrie

joey's wife
07-29-2005, 06:40 AM
Sherrie,

They are sending them where they have beds. Joey is a level 2 also but was sent to McCormick which is a level 3 so I know he is upset so was Joey and me for that matter. He can request a 2 man cell...They are allowed to fill out paper work to that effect. Joey has requested to be moved out of the cell he is in due to his roommate smoking. I told him he could get a worse roommate but he says the guys smokes all the time and he can't stand it. My prayers are with you as this will be hard on Josh. Evans has alot of lockdowns..Don't want to alarm you but its bad there.

NOTACLUE
08-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi! I'm New To All Of This. I Don't Understand Parole, Straight Sentence, Etc. Means!! Anything.....everything!!! My Husband Is @ Kirkland. He's Been Through The 30 Days. His Classification In Ma-1 Or M1-a. What Is That? He Was Moved To The Yard Because They Are Waiting On A Charge To Clear In The System. Will He Have To Stay Ther Till That's Done? I'm Getting The Info To Send Them That It Has Been Cleared. Will He Move After That Or Will They Still Have To Wait On The Computer? He's Been In For Six Months, I Haven't Seen Him In A Month & A 1/2. I Haven't Been Able To Touch Him Any Of The Time That He Was @ J. Reuben In Conway. They Are Still Processing My Visitation Form & Our 16 Month Olds! What's The Hold Up? Can Someone Please Just Help Me Understand What's Going On???? I Have Never Dealth With Any Of This Before.

Kahlan
08-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Hi NOTACLUE. Welcome to PTO. We all kind of learn as we go here. I'm not sure whether he will have to stay at Kirkland. How long has it been since you sent in the visitation forms?

SUSIE_SC
08-30-2005, 06:35 PM
MI-2 means minimum in, level 2
MO-2 minimum out, level 2

My son tried to explain this to me, but I am not sure that I understand it, completely. MI means they have to work inside the fences. MO means that they have earned the trust to work outside the fences. The numbers are the level of custody. It takes 6 months to earn a custody level. I think it also means whether they stay in a ward or a dorm. A dorm is better and I think they are for the people that work outside the fence. If he was sent to a level 3 prison, they will move him as soon as they have bedspace. He could also be eligible to go to a county facility, or possibly a work release. All you have to do is call a work release or county facility close to you and talk to the warden, he will look him up and tell you on the spot if he is eligible. If he is, ask him to request him. If you request a county facility, make sure you know what their rules are before you make the request. Sometimes they are worse than SCDC, in regards to being on the outside, but there are also good ones. In a county facility, they also earn better credits. If I can be of any other help, please let me know. I have been going through this for quite some time, now.......Susan

joshsmom221
08-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Suzie, what's the difference in minimum in and minimum out? Gosh, I get so confused. My son is after me to call the counties and try to help him get to a county facility also - anywhere but Charleston (he heard from 2 people that Charleston is bad). That probably means Charleston is good! hehe Also, if you get a new custody level after 6 months, does that mean Josh would go from MI2 to MO2 or would he go from MI2 to MI1? We are going to try for a hardship move but everything I am being told is it ain't happening for at least 6 months. I try am worried. My heart wants to visit Josh every week but the trip is so long and I worry about my husband's diabetes and high blood pressure. We don't like to go to far from his doctors. Then there is my dad. I am the caregiver for my father and he is 72 and blind. I go see Josh and pray that dad will be ok until I get back. And I really pray while I'm in the facility because I don't have my cell phone with me should dad need help. I'm not blaming SCDC. They don't know my family dynamics and truthfully, my son put me in this place where I am torn between visiting my son or taking care of my dad. Sometimes I wonder if they ever think about what their decisions cost the people who love them. Anyway, I am glad I saw your message. I can't figure out why but my son seems to think I know everything and when it comes to corrections, I know nothing! Thank you for all the help you give us newbies.
Sherrie

joshsmom221
08-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Suzie, I forgot. When you say call a county facility are you talking about the county jail or the county court house or is there a central place where a warden works? I'm sorry to be so uneducated about this. I live in Lexington County so I would be interested in counties in the middle of the state - close to Columbia. I assume since Josh has only been in SCDC since the end of June he's not earned trust but is checking into these county facilities something that takes time and therefore I should start now or wait until his 6 months are up? Thanks again.
Sherrie

Marchio1948
09-12-2005, 05:38 AM
My son also just went to Kirland R&E,he has been there for 2 weeks now.I have received mail from him a few times,he says it is hard but he is getting through it.He is looking forward to getting out and being sent wherever.I will also be glad when he gets sent to another place,I don't like there.
I also heard they may keep them 30 days,but I am not sure.
Bless all of you and your families

Bob994
09-22-2005, 11:11 AM
I've read much of this info but did not find much discussion about females sent to Kirkland. My fiance has been sentenced to 6 months, of which over 2 months has been served in a county detention center. Can anyone tell me what to expect from her stay at Kirkland. She is suppose to get the 2 for 1 time served, but have not seem anything specific about that. At least that is what her lawyer said. Any informtion on what it will be like for her would be appreciated.

HardHeadedWoman
09-28-2005, 03:05 AM
I noticed you said they stayed in the cell except for chow and showers. assuming you are talking about Kirkland. reason being is my son is there and is under the youthful offender act. is his group separated from others not in youth? and is this cell like what you see on t.v with beds attached to to wall and a sink in it? do they not get any outside time? or a common area where they can read or watch t.v or work out or a library?

cassina1212
09-28-2005, 03:36 AM
hrtbrokenmom,
im prety sure that they will have your son in the Juvi program there and they are seperated from genral popluation in most cases. sorry but i dont know all that much about kirkland but like you i am learning too.
Cass

anonymous-in-sc
10-13-2005, 11:43 PM
I thought that the women now had their own R & E at Camille Griffin Graham?

Kutedimples
10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
My boyfriend was sent to Kirkland on Thursday, October 20th. I have not heard from him since he left. I wrote him a letter but I only had Kirkland's address and his SCDC # on it because that is all I have. Will he receive this letter? I am just so worried about him. This is his first time being in prision and we haven't had any contact. How long does it usually take to hear from someone in Kirkland? (phone or letter)

michelledbrewer
10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey, My name is Michelle, My husband, Doug was just admitted to R & E also, on 10/10/05 and I received my first phone call from him yesterday on Tuesday. He says he'll get to call me again tomorrow. He sent us the telephone request papers which you will have to fill out the in the first couple of days he was there and I immediatly returned them with the first page of the phone bill as requested, so as a result to doing this quick he was able to call within 2 weeks. He does say it sucks though. He says they have been feeding them a bunch of chicken & beef livers,luckily he is not picky!!!! But hang in there, this is new to me too, How long will your guy been in for?So far mine has 5 years, but he has 2 more court appearances to make here in Greenville. You can private message me if you need to talk. Take care hon, BYE, Michelle

cassina1212
10-27-2005, 02:47 AM
my honey is at kirkland as well but hes perminatally housed there and will be ther for a while :( good luck to you ladys im sure you will get your call soon as far as the mail goes there, they are slow getting it to our men. but are prety good at sending them out from the guys.
I hope this helps.
Cass

Kutedimples
10-31-2005, 06:34 PM
I finally received a letter from my boyfriend! He says that it is pretty rough there but he's only going to be there for a month. Who knows where he will be after that. His sentence is 3 years but hopefully he won't have to do all of it. Can anyone tell me anything about parole and how long you have to do before you are eligible?

MissHim06
11-01-2005, 08:44 PM
My boyfriend of 2 years, will be moving to Kirkland at the end of this month and I'm really scared b/c I have no clue what it's like there! If anyone knows anything about it, please let me know! It's hard enough knowing I've got a little while to wait until I get to see him again, but I would like to know if this place is really bad or not so I'll know what to look foward to!

chi-fil
11-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Where did he move from? I don't know much myself, but I will ask my husband when he calls tonight and I will send you a message tomorrow. We are in SC, and I think my husband will be able to give me some info. I'll make a note and post again tomorrow. Hopefully you will hear from someone else, but you will hear from me tomorrow.

Chi-fil

MissHim06
11-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Thank you so much!! He is at John G. right now...he's only 16 and will be transferred when he turns 17 which will be at the end of this month. If you don't mind me asking, where is your husband at?

saw
11-02-2005, 03:17 PM
My boyfriend said that this facility houses inmates with aids and other contagious diseases.

MissHim06
11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
you mean kirkland like as in the one in SC?!?!?!?!?!?! What?!?! is he sure?!?!

Von's Mahogany
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
No Kirkland is the evaluation center for incoming inmates. He will be assessed for future placement. he will probably only be ther for about 6- 8 weeks. THe longest is usually about three months. If you check in the SC archives there is more info about Kirkland. It can be difficult, so make sure you are ready to write plenty of letters.

MissHim06
11-02-2005, 03:33 PM
he's suppose to be doing some sort of 10 month program, so I guess that means that it doesn't really start until he is at the future placement then, right? I will definitely be checking for further info. Thank you so much!

Von's Mahogany
11-02-2005, 03:43 PM
He must be going into the SHOCK program, but I thought it was usually 90 days. Go ahead and use the info on the site to start writing him and don't worry if it takes a while for him to write back, that is normal. It will take a while for him to get telephone priviledges and visitation. Everything will be ok, just be patient.

Kutedimples
11-02-2005, 04:40 PM
My boyfriend has been at Kirkland for a week now. He says that it is not as bad as everyone says. It is just really boring because they are on lock down all day. They only leave their cells for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They are only allowed to shower on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. He hasn't been able to call me but he has sent a letter. Here is the address there:
Kirkland Reception and Evaluation Center
4344 Broad River Road
Columbia,SC 2910

Good Luck!

Kutedimples
11-02-2005, 04:41 PM
The zip code is 29210...sorry!

MissHim06
11-02-2005, 09:19 PM
thank you guys so much!! I really appreciate it!!

moniqueSC
11-03-2005, 07:45 AM
My boyfriend was transferred there on Tuesday morning so I haven't yet heard anything from him. Does anyone else have a loved one there right now?

How bad you they say it is, or are there any positive reports?

Anything at all would be helpful to me right now because my mind is working
overtime.......thanks!

Kutedimples
11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
My boyfriend is there and he says that it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. He says that it is really boring and that the food sucks. They are on lock down most of the time and leave their cells to eat and shower.....hang in there!:thumbsup:

moniqueSC
11-03-2005, 06:07 PM
My boyfriend is there and he says that it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. He says that it is really boring and that the food sucks. They are on lock down most of the time and leave their cells to eat and shower.....hang in there!:thumbsup:

Thanks

michelledbrewer
11-03-2005, 09:22 PM
My husband is also there. He's been there 3 weeks so far. He's called twice and wrote several times. He does say it sucks but I think mostly it is just boring. It's better they are there during the fall because I hear during the summer it is so hot it is unbearable, so I am thankful for that. but hang in there. I'm in this with you. My man still has 2 more trials to go to, so he still doesn't know how much time he's facing, so far he has 5 years.

Marchio1948
11-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Vons is right,he won't be there long.My son was there for a short time then sent to his destination.

Marilyn St.
11-06-2005, 04:32 PM
My brother was there for about 3 weeks. They notifed him late at night that he was being moved. The only way I knew where he was, was by continuing to check the SCDC website under Inmate search. You can put in his name, and it will call up his location, and give other details about his conviction, etc. This is how I found out he was movedto McCormick.

Several things I learned the hard way may help you:

1. All monies that are sent to your loved one must go through the Cooper Trust Fund. Ask him to send you a copy of the deposit form. You must send a postal service money order. The first time you send it, it may take up to 2 weeks to post. If you send money, they will take 10% to help pay for the DNA test etc they give them which cost $250. The Cooper Trust Fund address is P.O. Box 102111 Columbia SC 29221-5011

2. Ask him to send you a form for phone privileges and visitation. The inmate must send these to you. Once you fill them out, you must be approved and then he can call you collect or you may be able to visit once he is in his permanent location. This may take weeks.

3. DO NOT send any printed information from the SCDC website to him. This is not allowed. They will mail back your entire letter and charge HIM the postage. If he needs to know information from it, cut and paste or summarize the info yourself.

4. You may send some regular internet material, but there is a current limit of 5 pages. If you exceed that, they will also mail the entire letter back to you and charge HIM the postage.

I have just been through all of this with my youngest brother. Good luck!

Marilyn

moniqueSC
11-06-2005, 04:39 PM
"If you send money, they will take 10% to help pay for the DNA test etc they give them which cost $250."

What exactly is this all about? What type of DNA testing are they doing? Is it to match their DNA against cold cases, etc. or something else?

Marilyn St.
11-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Oh, by the way if you send a self addressed stamped envelope to the Cooper Trust Fund with your request they will send you a deposit slip which is SCDC 15-14 (Rev. March 2002). I have xeroxed more copies and send money monthly.

You cannot send stamps, envelopes etc or personal items. No mail may be sent to the Cooper Trust Fund address. It is strictly for sending postal service money orders.

Marilyn

Marilyn St.
11-06-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't know any more details other than they DNA tested my brother at Kirkland and charged the money to him. How they get it back, is by taking 10% of what I send him monthly. My brother is in for a drug conviction first time. I am not sure what their policy is, but that is what I have learned in his case.

Marilyn

Marilyn St.
11-06-2005, 05:14 PM
To get to the Inmate Search feature, go to the SCDC Home page.

www.doc.sc.gov (http://www.doc.sc.gov)

HardHeadedWoman
11-07-2005, 11:38 AM
My son has been at Kirkland since September,23rd. He now has his pin number for phone calls and once he is there for 30 days he is allowed visitors. I think I was told he is only allowed 1 two hour visit a week until he is transferred. he has been there his 30 days and after the run around I got my appointment to visit him the 18th! I can hardly contain my self. But through his letters and phone calls he seems to be doing OK just bored with being in a cell all the time. And to think he use to call home prison because of the resrictions I tried to put on him.

moniqueSC
11-07-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm still waiting to here something from my boyfriend. Tomorrow will be one week since he was sent to R&E at Kirkland. I mailed him a letter or Friday morning and I sent it express mail so it would get there as soon as possible.

It has now been 13 days since I have seen him, and I'm used to seeing him twice a week!

chi-fil
11-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Hello Again,
My husband says, as the others have stated, he may not be there very long, he will process "into the system" and be assigned somewhere else. I don't know much about Kirkland, my husband says it isn't too bad, he should be okay there. I use the JPay System to send money, it is a lot easier that way I don't have to use stamps, money orders, checks, etc. Just a lot easier. If sent prior to 3:00p.m., he gets it the same day. Great way to send money to inmates.
Good luck

~Chil-fil

MissHim06
11-08-2005, 06:46 AM
You guys are awesome!! I'm so worried about him...I recently recieved 2 letters from him this past week and he seems to be doing fine along w/ what his dad has told me! I was told by his mom that he cannot have any visitation the first month or two while he's at Kirkland which sucks, but I've already been 3 months without seeing him AT ALL!! I was going in to see him with his mom as his "stepsister" but that only worked for a couple months. This is really hard, but I'm sure I can make it through this and thanks to ya'll I know a lot more! Thank you so much!

moniqueSC
11-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I heard from my boyfriend today. He is doing OK. I feel so much better now even though I got bad news from his PO today.

SCDC Mom
11-08-2005, 08:08 PM
They have now dropped the DNA fee to 5% for every $1 you send. I called not long ago and the girl said that they had so many complaints that they dropped it down.

joshsmom221
11-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Good luck to you Monique and MissHim. Everything will be ok. You'll be used to the way things are done very soon and you'll be "old hat" at this before you know it. HIV and other contagious inmates are housed at Broad River not Kirkland. I'm sure they pass through Kirkland like everyone else but their permanent housing is not Kirkland. There are 2 sides to Kirkland. One is R & E and one is permanent custody. One thing I strongly advise you on - TELL THE TRUTH on the visitation paper. I'm not sure about shock or other programs but in general girlfriends are allowed to visit. Besides, you don't want your boyfriend to have more grief on him because you slipped in for a visit. Of course your age may be an issue - if you are under 18. Still, I would think it would be better to go ahead and let him do what he needs to do and for you to wait a bit longer to see him than for your need to see him be satisfied but he get in trouble. The punishment always comes back on the inmate. The punishment could be denial of all visits and phone calls.

You are right, SCDCmom. I've noticed that the fee has dropped. They are making themselves quite a list aren't they? Oh well, just remember if they have the DNA it can prove someone innocent of a crime - not just guilty.

I use j-pay also, Chi-fil. The fees are steep but it's so convenient. It takes all of 30 seconds to send money once an account is set up. I know if I had to go get a money order from the post office (regular money orders WILL NOT be accepted), fill it out, go back home to get the deposit slip and address because knowing me I'd have forgotten to bring it with me and drive back to mail the money order my son would not get his money on a regular basis.

imisshim101
11-29-2005, 02:48 PM
i was wondering if anyone could tell me, if South Carolina had a web site so i could look an offender. I've been searching for a friend who is incarcereated in SC, but am having no luck. Please email me.

Kahlan
11-30-2005, 08:46 AM
For South Carolina Department of Corrections Inmate Search:

http://sword.doc.state.sc.us/incarceratedInmateSearch/index.jsp

County jails have their own sites. You can usually go to the Sheriff's Department of the county and then to their detention center page to see if they have a search form. There is also vinelink: www.vinelink.com (http://www.vinelink.com) which includes a few SC county jails.

Kita
12-27-2005, 08:46 PM
hello my name is kita and my friend just got sentenced with ten years. He has already been incarcerated for 7 months before they even sentence him and the sad part is they locked him up on word of mouth and then peolple just started snitching on him. We were told that he would be moved to south carolina to begin a drug program to knock off some of his time and i was wondering if anybody has any info on the jails in south carolina and the programs and just any info to help me better understand the system and what going on and whats going to happen next. please if anybody has any info will you please write back. thank you very much

SCDC Mom
12-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Kita. Welcome to PTO. Is you friend going through the SCDC or Federal Prison? A lot depends on that answer.

Kahlan
12-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Welcome to PTO, Kita. Has your friend been moved to SC yet?

angelamcgee
01-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the informatiion....I still want to know more from anyone who has a loved one at Kirkland or at Broad River(wher he may end up). Specifically about visitation
and what that is like and about prison routines. No letters yet....one phone call came
in. I had read that SO designation was spread around by prisoners whenever a
newbie comes in. Glad if that might not be true.
Please .....anyone.....give me information.'hello everyone i would also like to know everything there is to know about kirkland my husband been ther for 1 week now havenot heard anything for him either he got 8 years he will do about 61/2 to 7 for drug charges

angelamcgee
01-15-2006, 05:17 PM
hello everyone i got a letter yesturday and my forms my husband is in kirkland he been there for a week now he said its not to bad letter was short but i was so glad to here from him he's in unit F3/107 if anyone has a love one in this unit please let me know it would be great to talk with you. angelamcgee:D

ms ward
03-14-2006, 08:50 AM
hey- i an new to all this but have a question. is there anyone here that can give someone in kirkland a message? i dont want to get anyone in trouble but not sure if it would or not. i am writing letters to him at kirkland-but thought a little extra hello might be nice- and would make him wonder how i did it-:)...he is actually my ex-boyfriend but has become my best friend. thanks

summerssand24
06-06-2006, 09:33 AM
My fiance is in F3-B/239 - so not too far....but not the same one i guess...he has been there for a week too...and I was wondering.... i was told at kirkland they only get visits during the weekdays? I hope not cause I cant take off work and that would suck. do you get contact visits at kirkland? I hope he gets moved soon.....OH and another thing....I heard that even if I deposited money in his account he cant use it for 30 days? I put 20 dollars in yesterday in hopes it was a tale..... so he could get letters and paper to write.....I am used to spending EVERYDAY everynight...every second with my baby...and it was a shock that all this happened.... we thought everything would be okay since he wasnt the dealer or the buyer.... and has never done coke....it makes me mad to think about it....and goes to show you ...guilty by association....it's wrong.

kimberly214
06-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Kimberly, and my husband is presently in Kirkland being evaluated. I just pulled up his info on the Kirkland website, and I discovered something quite interesting. My husband was sentenced to 10 years, reduced to 3 years, which his attorney told me he would wind up doing a year and a half of that sentence. Well, when I pulled up his profile, it states that his sentence is 1 year, 0 months, 0 days. What's up with that? Could this be wrong, or maybe they screwed up? I am very confused, and don't want to get too excited, but that's what it says. Will someone please explain to me what this means? Thank you very much- Kimberly.

summerssand24
06-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Dunno but Kirkland is where they are evaluated...My man is getting moved in a week or something... i think when they get to where thier gonna be then we can understand what the road ahead holds.

I wish my fiance only had a year....or even 3 at that. He got 10 years and the judge lowered it to 7....but I figure maybe he will get out in 5....dunno...it's sad.

mrs.mann
06-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Does an inmate have to wait on numbers to be put on their call list before they can call because my husband is at kirkland in r&e and it tells him their is a block on the phone but its not.

HardHeadedWoman
06-19-2006, 12:58 AM
while in kirkland they can not have any visits or commisary for the first 30 days. he will get a temporary pin number to call and you should hear from your loved one within 2 weeks. they will recieve envelopes and paper as soon as they get there but it isnt much.make sure they get you the visitation forms mailed to you asap and yor phone application and you will need to attach a copy of your phone bill with the form. once you have been approved for visits which takes up to 6-8 weeks you can have visits. your approval for visits follows him to whichever facility they send him

mrs.mann
06-19-2006, 07:34 PM
thanks for the info. so does my number have to be added to his list and pin number before he can call? i'm just trying to figure out why it said their was a block on the phone when he called and it's not. how long does it take for your number to be added after you mail the forms? and how often will he be able to call because i thought he couldnt call while in r&e?

Kahlan
06-19-2006, 10:55 PM
For a blocked number, you need to call your local telephone company and ask if your number is blocked for collect calls. Then, call Sprint and see if your number is clear with them.

It doesn't take long for phone numbers to be approved. At R&E, they are given one time a week to call. He will have to tell you when his time is.

andreadhf
08-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Can somebody please help me. My husband is going to be sentanced on Monday Aug. 28th in greenville county. If he gets time he will go to Kirkland first. I'm 7 mos. pregnant and have alot of health problems. His mom is 77 years old and has very poor health also. Is there any way he can get closer to home. My doctors has written a paper saying that I shouldn't travel. What can we do?:confused:

Kahlan
08-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi and Welcome to PTO. He will go to Kirkland for about a month. From there, they will send him to a prison that has bed space. It may not be near you. If that happens, he can put in for a hardship transfer to get moved closer. Everything takes a long time to happen. You won't be able to visit him the month that he is at Kirkland. Use that time to get your phone number accepted for him to call you and to get your name on the visitation list.

joshsmom221
08-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Welcome to PTO Andreadhf. I hope things work out for y'all tomorrow. Like Kahlan said Kirkland is about 30 days. I heard SCDC now has a reception and evaluation center at Evans but I don't know that for sure - you hear all kinds of things. Still, I'd think Kirkland would be closer to Greenville than Bennettsville, where Evans is. Also, like Kahlan said SCDC pretty much puts them where there is bedspace. SCDC says that they try to take into consideration where the inmate is from in assigning them but that is not my experience. It seems to me to be pretty much when your name comes up and a bed is available - there is where you go. Nothing but punishment moves fast in SCDC. My son was told he could not apply for a hardship transfer until 6 months but I think that has changed to 1 year now. I'm pretty certain of that. Your and your mother in laws health problems are a reason for requesting a hardship BUT it can't be applied for until he goes up for review - which is at 1 year, I believe. Let's pray if he goes to SCDC that he will get close to Greenville so to end the problem all together. You will need to send a COPY of the letter from your doctors to your husband. Always keep copies or originals of anything important as it's easy to misplace them. Again, good luck.
Joshsmom221

andreadhf
09-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Can somebody help me? I just got a letter from my husband today. He's in Kirkland R & E and they have taken his wedding ring and they won't tell him what they did with it. He got pretty mad and up set and they locked him down for 24 hours for punishment. Does anybody know who I can contact about this or should I just let it go and buy another ring when he gets out? Another thing I need help with is he sent us the visiotors forms but not enough for us all to go. We have a 5 year old daughter and another one on the way, and his mom and brother want to visit. He only sent two forms. What can I do? Help! :mad:

SCDC Mom
09-06-2006, 04:44 PM
First of all, getting violent or upset with SCDC won't get you anywhere. You have to remain calm and try to not show them that they are "getting to you". I would call R & E and ask them about his wedding ring. Could be that they will let him have it once he completes this phase of his sentence.

As far as the visitation forms, I would run copies of the blanks. Good luck!

Barb

Kahlan
09-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I agree, run copies of the blank forms. If you have already filled them out, request more copies when you call about the ring. It is my understanding that if they go in with a ring, they are allowed to keep it throughout. He may get it back when he leaves R&E. Call and talk to the chaplin. If it's the same man, he was very helpful when my guy was there three years ago.

nikkisep
09-06-2006, 10:15 PM
I agree....The system can definitley get you upset, but I've learned from many people not to go about things in an angry way...it will make things much worse.
My husband was in Kirkland R&E up until last night. He spent 30 days there. One week after he was in there, I received his wedding ring in the mail. Perhaps they will do the same for you. If not, I would contact them and ask them (politely) about it.
And yes, make copies of the forms. My husband only sent me one visitation form and one telephone form and I made copies for our other family members.
Good luck!

UNEXPECTED
09-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Anyone have any relatives at Kirkland in Columbia, SC and if so, how have their experience been there?:)

UNEXPECTED
09-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Well, my husband is at Kirkland also. They mailed his shoes and wedding ring to me. If the ring has diamonds in it, they can't wear it in there I believe. As far as the visitation forms, when he first mailed them to me, it was only like two or three and I just told him I need a couple more, so he mailed those to me. He should have gotten about 15 to 20 forms since they get approved for up to 20 viistors.

coolchik4sure
09-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey UNEXPECTED! :wave:

Welcome to PTO.

I see you found the thread that has tons of information about Kirkland. It's a very good and informative thread. Most of us have been through the R&E thing and it's tough, but it doesn't last forever. Waiting on that first letter, first call...that is what made it rough for me.

GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:

Kahlan
09-11-2006, 08:40 AM
That's right, they can only have a plain wedding band. I picked up his shoes and some other things at county before he went to Kirkland. On one of the county moves, they made him throw everything away, so if your guys have things that they want to keep, tell them to mail them home.

devina
09-13-2006, 08:54 AM
my finace just got transfered to kirkland he had a plea agreement where he can possibly get out in 7 mos on parole. far as i know he is only supposed to be at kirkland for a month then off to another institution. not sure where yet. i am greatful to have found this site i have found alot of useful information.
devina

meaganp
09-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Hey! I am new to this site. I am interested in any information anyone has about Kirkland R&E.

devina
09-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey! I am new to this site. I am interested in any information anyone has about Kirkland R&E.
welcome to pto megan what part of kirkland is he in there is the reception and evaluation part and then there is the rest of it so to say. my finace is in reception at kirkland i do know that they don't get very much contact in the first 30 days while in reception. i've recieved one letter and his clothing and shoes since he was moved. for the first 30 days there is no visitation. scroll thru the rest of this thread there is more info i'm learning as i go along and try to read every post.

meaganp
09-21-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi! He is actually still waiting to be transferred to Kirkland R&E.

devina
09-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi! He is actually still waiting to be transferred to Kirkland R&E. well u should be getting a package soon after he is transfered with his shoes ect in it and if his wedding band isn't plain that will be along as well. he will send u the visitation forms , the phone form for you to fill out and return to the proper places. and he will send you a form for his cooper trust fund as well.

meaganp
09-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Hi! I have someone waiting to be sent there. Don't know much yet.

devina
09-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi! I have someone waiting to be sent there. Don't know much yet.
yeah that wait is the part of the hard part. i never knew when they were sending jr i live 3 hrs from where he was at in county jail.

meaganp
09-22-2006, 02:51 PM
I see you are in Conway, not far from me! So, kirkland is just where everyone with a 90 day or longer sentence goes while they figure out where to send them?

devina
09-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I see you are in Conway, not far from me! So, kirkland is just where everyone with a 90 day or longer sentence goes while they figure out where to send them? pretty well much they call it reception and u have hardley no contact what so ever.like i said before he's now been there 10 days i got one letter which was one tiny page long and his belongings. nothing since. yeah i'm in conway close to loris sc but i work in myrtle beach. feel free to contact me my info is in my profile. just let me know its megan from pto.

andreadhf
10-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Can anyone tell me about the visitation in Kirkland. My husband has been there since Aug. 29th, 2006. Do we have to wait to be approved before we can see him? I thought after his 30 days there we got a visit but the people at the prison said I wasn't on his list. And how long will it take him to be classified? :confused:

Kahlan
10-03-2006, 02:19 PM
You have to be approved before you can visit. This can take over a month. They won't let you know when you are approved. Your husband will eventually get an updated visitation list but you will know before he does if you keep calling and asking.

andreadhf
10-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Hello everybody,
Thanks for all the info. that you have provided. My husband is still at Kirkland R & E. He's been there since Aug. 29th, does anyone know how long it will take for him to get moved? I have had the baby 7 wks. early and she is still in the hospital. The only time I get to talk to my husband is just about 5 minutes. He says he's not suppose to use the phone. I just don't understand why not. He has been there longer than 30 days now. He hasn't even been able to use the money that I have sent. :confused:

UNEXPECTED
10-12-2006, 08:29 PM
After you are out of R&E status at Kirkland, and you are placed on a yard there how is the conditions such as food, showers, work. How is the place for regular inmates?

barky586
10-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Unexpected, no matter which prison your loved one is assigned to, it will be better than R&E. My son-in-law says that he thought he had died and gone to hell at R&E. Thanks to this site, I learned that and my daughter was able to let him know that via letter and that made his mind rest easier.

jjn032482
10-13-2006, 05:48 AM
When you are in R&E are you allowed to write letters and everything?? I heard that you couldn't please help me!!! Because I believe that after his court date he will go to R&E for a couple of weeks...why?!???? and then to Turbyville help me!!!

nikkisep
10-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Everyone gets sent to R&E before being sent out to their yard because they go through an evaluation process. You can write letters while your loved one is in Kirkland; however, you will have to wait until they write to you first with their unit and cell number so that they can get the letter. About a week after my husband was sent there, I received a letter from him. They are only given 4 stamped envelopes for 30 days, and a limited supply of paper (which is tiny sheets, by the way). He will be unable to call you until he is assigned a PIN. My husband was unable to call for about 2 weeks, and after that, I only received 3 phone calls the entire 29 days that he was there. I think the calling schedule is SUPPOSED to be every Tuesday and Thursday, noon or early afternoon, but they can really only use the phone when they are told. They can call only once on whatever day, and it is a 15 minute call. However, all of my calls were ended with a CO shouting after only 10 minutes or so.
He should send you visitation and phone forms. I suggest sending these out as soon as you get them, as visitation forms take 4-6 weeks to process. That way, by about the time he gets transferred, you can be approved for visitation. And you will have to fill out a phone sheet so that he will be able to call you. I think that he can place your number on a temporary list for 90 days, but after that, if you haven't filled out the form and returned it (along with the first page of your most recent phone bill), he will be unable to call.
They also can not receive money while in R&E. You can put money in their account with JPay or Western Union, but they will be unable to use it, as they are not allowed canteen. They are on lockdown for 23 hours of the day, only let out to eat.
R&E sucks. It will be hard for him and it will be hard for you. I remember crying every night, unable to talk to my husband. I remember the tears of joy and relief when that first letter showed up in the mailbox. But you will get through it, and anywhere that he goes after that will be so much easier for him.
And I think the standard time of being in R&E is about one month. My husband was out of there and sent to Givens in Perry after 29 days. I have heard of others who have been there for almost 2 months.

Hope this was of some help :)

jjn032482
10-15-2006, 02:16 AM
THanks sooo much that was helpful he went to R&E before but at that time we were broken up so I don't know much about that place he said that it sucked I'm pregnant so I'm very emotional as it is and this isnt helping but at least it will be behing my fiance' I love him to death and I cry now and I get mail every day from him so when he goes there it will be hard why does every inmate of SC gotta be sent there before going to wherever they are going to be transfered?? I'm use to NC SC is really weird about stuff

hmmarshall
10-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Ok so my husband might not stay at Kirkland?? I dont get it?! and if I dont get a letter from him before I go crazy wanting to write him, how do I find his unit number and cell number?? Thanks all

barky586
10-19-2006, 09:06 PM
hmmarshall, ALL inmates first go to R&E (Kirkland for males) to be evaluated. After that is done (about 30 days), they will be assigned to a regular prison. Note that Kirkland is also a "regular" prison, so theoritically he could stay there (just not in the R&E portion). I would probably take a chance and write a letter to him just using his name and SCDC number (you can look him up on the inmate search and get that) to the Kirkland address, which is posted on here somewhere (just do a search and if you don't see it, let me know and I will locate it for you). I believe that they will look up his cell and unit number for you once. Then when he gets equipped to write you back, you will have all that info. I would go ahead and write him though - because if he cannot write back at the moment due to lack of supplies or whatever, the letter will mean a lot. I probably would write that letter fairly long and follow up with another long one in 3-4 days and then again in 3-4 days after that. You will very likely have some one from him by then I would think. :) Also, one more thing, if your guy is at R&E even one day past 30, you can request a visit, but it will be fairly short and might be behind plate glass because R&E is considered maximum security.

HardHeadedWoman
10-19-2006, 11:33 PM
you do get glass visits if you have been there over 30 days. samething with canteen. If you do get a visit then it is by appointment and you have to call a week in advance.

hmmarshall
10-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Thank you Barky I really appreciate it!!! I'm having this man's baby on Christmas day and it's his and my first child not just together, and he loves this baby more than anything. I'm having a girl goning to name her isabella Rae-Hope (her daddy's name is Ray) but thanks again

barky586
10-21-2006, 08:32 PM
You're welcome, hmmarshall. I asked my daughter about this on our road trip to visit today and she reminded me that she wrote her husband daily in R&E using the above method (just name/SCDC number/R&E Address). She told me that he had told her that without her letters, R&E would have been much closer to hell than it was - that he enjoyed the letters even before he was equipped to respond to them. She also told me that they were technically only allowed to have 4 (or 5) (she couldn't remember which for sure) letters while at R&E in their locker, but that he folded them up and fitted them all into the 4 or 5 envelopes that he had and just got rid of the extra envelopes. My daughter and son-in-law were Christmas babies too (28th and 27th respectively) - that will make Christmas extra extra special for you!

hmmarshall
10-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Hey all!! I'm Heather I'm new here and have a million questions about kirkland! My husband is there and I dont know if he can recieve letters.. is there a waiting period for that?? and if so how long is it usually? can i send him care packages with like cigarettes and pictures? How long is the average length of time untill they are moved to they're permanent placement? And how long does it take to be approved for vistiation? Can I call him or does he have to call me? Can he use a calling card? And since I'm 8 months pregnant with his daughter will I be able to bring her up there to see him after she's born?? As you can see I have a million or so questions!!!! Please someone help me find answers!!!

Kahlan
11-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Welcome Heather! I think that most of your questions have been addressed in the Kirkland Thread, Visitation Thread and others. Read over the posts or do a keyword search to find specific information. You won't be able to send care packages other than an order from Access - info here: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228675. He will contact you when they assign him a time to call. You can write to him now, just include his SCDC number. If there are answers that you can't find, let me know. I'll be glad to answer them for you.

hmmarshall
11-14-2006, 07:22 PM
I've written to him and today I got a phone call from a lady who's husband is his roommate I guess!! My problem is my mother!!!! I'm staying with her until after our baby is born and she is being very uncoopertive when it comes to us having contact!!! Ray sent a message via his roommates wife, to apologize for everything he has done and to tell me that he loves and misses me terribley. He was in a prayer group aparently and was told by someone to trust the Lord and ask Him to touch my heart and find forgiveness for Ray, the next day he got my letter!!!! He was very emotional because I talked alot about the baby and getting things ready for her!! I was also told that he cries alot, that he prays for me and our baby! He has done a complete 180 since being in there and I am sooo proud of him!!!! just thought I'd share that!!!

Peach's Mom 51
11-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Does anyone out there know anything about the Evaluation process at Kirklnad in Columbia, SC. I just got a letter from my son who has been there since 11-16. He is not getting my letters. This is just breaking my heart. His letter sounded like he thinks I have just forgotten about him. He is not getting any letters from anyone. Do they get their mail there? I have also put money in his account and he does not know that either. He says he traded some socks for a card for his son's birthday which is today. He turns 4 today. He said I would not hear from him for a while because this was his last envelope and he would not get any more for 30 days because he has nothing in his account. He had also mentioned in the first letter I got that he would like some books to read. I have order him some and they are due to be delivered on Tuesday. Now I am worried that he will not get these either. I really need some information here! My heart is just breaking and I need to know if there is anything I can do to make sure he gets my mail. Anybody who knows anything please respond. Thanks!:confused: :angry: :broken:

barky586
11-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Please check out the SC forum. There is lots of information on Kirkland there. :)

Peach's Mom 51
11-26-2006, 08:04 AM
I am new here. How do I get to the SC forum? I am still trying to learn how to post and get around this place. Thanks

Peach's Mom 51
11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
There is so much good information here. I have been looking for anyone with some that is or has been to Kirkland R&E. My son is there now. He was sent on 11-16. I will be so glad when he is moved. It sound like Kirkland is a very hard place with little chance of communication. I am going crazy with wanting to know what is happening to him. Do they at least get their mail there. I got a letter from him and it sounded like he was not getting my letters. Can they receive books? He has asked for something to read.

devina
11-27-2006, 12:19 AM
it takes a lil longer for them to get mail there than a county jail. as far as phone calls your number has to be approved before he can call you.he should of sent you a phone form to fill out and send in. as far as books i do not believe they can recieve them there. my finace was there and was moved in 3 weeks, my best friend is there now. they are allowed 4 envelopes a month. but can recieve plenty of incoming mail. best advice i can give is just keep writing him to lift his spirits. whats your sons name i can see if my friend can find out anything on him for you.

There is so much good information here. I have been looking for anyone with some that is or has been to Kirkland R&E. My son is there now. He was sent on 11-16. I will be so glad when he is moved. It sound like Kirkland is a very hard place with little chance of communication. I am going crazy with wanting to know what is happening to him. Do they at least get their mail there. I got a letter from him and it sounded like he was not getting my letters. Can they receive books? He has asked for something to read.

MontMoney
12-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Im on my way to Kirkland. I never been to jail or prison before...Ill be in prison for 100 days. How much of this time, do I have to do....and How do I survive Kirkland, with no books, no TV, no radio? Days are long when there is nothing to keep u occupied.....

Kahlan
12-12-2006, 12:15 AM
MontMoney - I don't know if your time will be reduced but 100 days will be over before you know it. Kirkland is only around 30 days, then you will only have 2 months at another place. Do you have someone that you could write to? It will help you stay close to the people that you care about. My guy has written every day since he's been gone which is roughly 1380 days. Believe me, it makes a big difference. He was a guy that hated being inside. He always had a job that allowed him to be outside or to travel. He's making it ok. You will find things to do and there will definitely be interesting things to see. Hang in there. You will get through it ok.

joshsmom221
12-15-2006, 01:26 PM
MontMoney, 100 days. This is so stupid. Do you have county time? That gets reduced. I've known several people who have went through R & E only to be released once they went through classification. Then I knew another guy who went through R & E, got sent to an institution and was released the next month. SCDC had to buy him a bus ticket back for 30 days or less. If you are classified as non-violent you will do 51% which is 51 days. I'll not lie to you, I haven't heard anyone say R & E is pleasant. It is boring, crowded, they shave your hair, take your DNA, take your picture, assign you uniforms, do medical exams. In other words, there's plenty to do but none of it is fun - duh! Worse seems to be the overcrowding which is a major problem. You'll not be able to call home for afew weeks but you can write as they will give you 4 (I think) envelopes with stamps. Hang in there. This to shall pass.

Amanda-N-Smitty
01-09-2007, 01:52 PM
My fiance is in Kirkland also.He's been there 42 days now and I called today and asked what the hold up is and they're saying that there waiting on beds:mad: What's the longest that one can be kept in R&E if anyone knows?And does anyone know how much credit you get when you leave Kirkland? Thanks for all you help:)
AMANDA

ajap
01-09-2007, 02:31 PM
We are planning a Get Together in Columbia on 1/27/07 - can any of y'all join us?

Amanda-N-Smitty
01-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know how much good time credit they give you when you have spent your time for R&E?And what's the max.time they can hold you at R&E?
thanks so much
AMANDA

barky586
01-11-2007, 04:55 AM
Good time will accrue regardless if he is eligible for it. As for R&E, 30 days used to be a good rule of thumb. If he stays one day more than 30, you can request a (scheduled) visit. My son-in-law stayed exactly 30 days. He has been hearing now that 45 days isn't all that unusual. There is a severe overcrowding issue. See my post on the main board. Mr. Ozmint is now specifying how many times his agency will pick up guys from County to go to R&E on a weekly basis.

hmmarshall
01-11-2007, 07:24 AM
When Ray was at R&E he was there 28 days. They are not supposed to stay past 30 days. When Ray was there I spoke with a lady at Kirkland and she said as long as they behave and complete the R&E process problem-free and the facility they are supposed to go to has an opening, they'll move sooner! But like barky said as a rule it's no more than 30 days. As far as the good time, every prisoner accumulates this. Whether they can use it or not is up to the sentencing judge, or the appeal judge!

Brian's Mama
01-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi - My son has been in Kirkland R&E for 49 days and he has not been classified either. Do you have any idea where you fiance will be moved to? My son has requested a move request form to be moved somewhere close to home and has not gotten any response at all.. Who knows

barky586
01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Amanda-N-Smitty, every day he spends at Kirkland does count toward the total sentence.

Upset Fiance
03-13-2007, 11:18 AM
I send an letter to my guy everyday. Says he don't always get them everyday, but that my letters are the only thing that keeps him going and knows that there is someone there for him. I run out of things to write sometimes, but I do it every day and let him know that I love him and I'm here for him. I can't do anything for im but be here and I know that means alot to him. He tells me and thanks me everytime he can write, Our ltters mean the world to these guys, especially at R&E. Just keep writing.

dani1206
04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
hello everybody, I am new here and have many many questions. My brother was just sent to Kirkland R&E today. I know they are there for around 30 days. Are they kept separate from the "regular" inmates who are doing their time there and do they see them at all? Also he was an indigent inmate when he was in county jail and owes some money. Does that bill follow him when he goes to state prison? I would really appreciate it if someone had some information for me. Thank you

speckles
04-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Dani- Im somewhat new too. My dad is still at R&E 41 days now. He sits in his cell for 23 hours a day and the other is for 3 meal times. During the first 30 days he will see doctors to evaluate his health and mental state. He will not be with any general population. He will just be bored outy of his mind. you may not hear from him right away. It was 2 weeks before I got a letter and a phone call. He has only called twice in 41 days. He will get 4 stamps and 4 envelopes.Make sure he mails you visitation forrm and phone request form. ANd you return with accurate information promptly. It can take a few weeks to be approved. He doesnt go outside and cant buy any canteen until he is placed.

dani1206
04-10-2007, 06:38 PM
thank you speckles that info helped. I am just trying to get as much info as I can, this is all so new. Just reading what people write about Kirkland makes me sick. If I put money in his canteen will it go with him when he is placed? thank you.

barky586
04-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes, Dani, you can go ahead and put money in his Cooper Trust Form (let me know if you need the link to the form or if you need the link to Jpay) for his use once he gets to his prison from R&E. The R&E guys are kept separate from the regular Kirkland inmates. They are suppose to be paired or tripled up with guys of similiar age with similar crime. In other words, supposedly a guy in for writing bad checks wouldn't be roomed with a murderer.

speckles
04-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes it will follow. I put money in right away in case he gets moved sooner than 30 days, but in my case he didnt. I used Jpay.com and its in his account the next day and he will be notified how much is in there. they will take 5% of each deposit for DNA test($250) they do.

speckles
04-11-2007, 09:24 PM
My dad finally left R&E after 42 days. He is at Kersaw. can anyone tell me anything about Kersaw? Can't find much in the forum.

carrielovestim
04-13-2007, 06:34 AM
My fiance was just transferred to Kirkland 3 days ago. I haven't heard from him since. He has called twice since he's been there but I wasn't here to answer the phone either times. One time, my grandmother answered and spoke to him and he told her that he'd call back at 9 o'clock but the call never came. I've been trying to figure out why he hasn't been calling but I can't seem to understand. Are the phone privileges there different from the ones at the Charleston County Detention Center? If so, can anyone let me know when it is that he could call me? Also, I've been trying to figure out how to write him. I think I got the right address but I'm not sure.
Kirkland Correctional Institute
4344 Broad River Road
Columbia, SC 29210

Is that correct? Do I need any more information about him to send to him other than his name and his # that he was assigned in CCDC?
Please get back to me soon someone.

carrielovestim
04-13-2007, 06:48 AM
What is the SCDC number? Is that the number that they were assigned in the first jail? If it has letters at the beginning the wrong one. Mine is just a bunch of number. About 7 numbers. It was the one I was told to use when writing him at the Charleston County Detention Center. help?

joshsmom221
04-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Hey Carrie,
You no longer use the CCDC #. SCDC would have assigned him a new number. Go to: www.doc.sc.gov to find his new number. You would click under the sub-group "families", then "inmate search", click ok at the bottom of the message and then type in his name when the new page opens.

There are several problems that could have came up. 1. He could have used a temporary pin number to call you from R&E. This number expires soon after arriving wherever he was sent. 2. Perhaps your application for telephone calls has not been approved yet. Did you get this application? My experience is that many county facilities use Evercom or Correctional Billing Services. SCDC uses Embarq - a totally different company. Therefore, just because you got phone calls from the county and several from R&E does not mean you've been approved for continued calls. 3. You don't say if he is at Kirkland for R&E or as the "permanent" institution. Kirkland is not just for R&E. If he has only been in R&E for a few days then I doubt he has phone priveledges.

If you have trouble looking up his SCDC number, PM me and give me his name and I'll be glad to look it up for you.
Sherrie

Upset Fiance
04-13-2007, 07:16 AM
carrielovestim,

Hi . This is all so confusing, isn't it? Well I tell you what I can. I know the phone priviledge aare different than county. They can only call when they are allowed to. They are locked up 23 hours a day. He will call when he is able to.As far as letters go, you have the right address, but you will need his inmate number as soon as you can. There is a Inmate Search page where you can get it or you can call Kirkland. He now has a new number. I don't have the addess for the Inmate Search right here, but I can get it for you in a few minutes. I will tell you this. He is in the worst place that he can be right now but it is only for a short time. Write him as much as you can. He will only be able to write you 4 times in 30 days, so don"t get upset if you don't here from him.They only get 4 enveopes for 30 days. Unless he is in a room with someone that don't have anyone to write to and they give him their paper and envelopes, you only be able to recieve 4 letters, and belive me they will be short. They get these small sheets of paper to write on. Just hang in there. He'll call you when they allow him to. I hve no idea when that may be. My fiance didn't call me at all. I didn't even set anything up for him to call because he said that it's very hard to call from there. But let me go and I'll get you that address so you can send him letters. He's going to need them so write, write, write. Been told that was the only thing that got him through that time. But he will come out of ther with a clean bill of health. Any medical problems will be taken care of. At least that's something. Be back in a few.

carrielovestim
04-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Thank you guys so much. I already sent a letter but I'm guessing it's not going to get there since I put the wrong number on there. Maybe they'll be leniant this one time. Probably not. I know nothing about prisons or anything. I've never had anyone that was sent to jail or has been arrested or sent to prison or anything like that. Before I met him, he got in some trouble. And was put on parole then he got some drug charges but he never went to jail for them for more than one night. But a couple months ago, he changed addresses without informing his p.o. Then they locked him up for that. He was in CCDC for 3 weeks and they lied to him there. They told us that he wouldn't be sent anywhere because he was only in there for 5 months and that wasn't enough time to send him anywher. Yeah, ok. I'm used to being with him every day. And since he was in jail, I got used to talking to him everyday for 4 hours when he had rec. Now he's like completely gone. This is killing me.

carrielovestim
04-14-2007, 11:11 AM
oh and I didn't get a phone application thing. He's in R&E.

carrielovestim
04-14-2007, 11:14 AM
is it the Y number?

barky586
04-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Yes, Carrie, it would be. Y means he is a Youthful Offender under the Youthful Offender Act. You might also want to add "R&E" after "Kirkland." You see, Kirkland has a prison yard itself - the "regular" Kirkland yard - It is a Level 3 (Maximum Security) prison. The R&E is separate - it is where your guy is, which is where every male inmate in the SC State prison system goes first before being assigned to his more "permanent" prison. So I would differientiate that when addressing him in future letters.

carrielovestim
05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Well, turns out he was writing some other chick the whole time so I broke up with him but thanks for all the help.

teddyjam4me
05-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Does anyone else think it's strange that SCDC has no posted incident reports since December?

Kahlan
05-16-2007, 11:00 PM
It could be because they just hired a new communications director. I don't know when the previous person left.

Tigger Mom
05-17-2007, 07:00 PM
IMO it is very obvious they are only keeping up with what they want released. They have even skipped over the death of an inmate and this is just one that we know of. Or maybe the family just didn't want it released, but if you look at the other news releases there are plenty of good updates. They only want to report the good news, not the bad, (and if you go to the Press Release section instead of the incident report section, you will see an average of about 4-5 positive reports a month!) Again IMO, this dosen't seem fair to the public to only report what you want known about the prison system.

GREGORYSISTER
06-08-2007, 11:48 PM
this Is My Brother's First Time In R&e. He's Never Been In Prison Before. He Was Sent There Two Days Ago For Probation Violation. My Family Has Heard Some Terrible "rumors" Or Things About R&e And It Upset Us Really Bad, Because This Is His First Time, And We Are Scared And We Know That He's Scared. He Is In Kirkland R&e On Broadriver Rd In Columbia South Carolina. Do They Have A/c? Do They Really Shave Their Heads And Facial Hair Like Mustaches Or Beards? Do They Get To Communicate With Others? We Heard That They Were Locked Down For Like 23 Hours Out Of 24. This Is All New To The Whole Family And Him. I Am So Worried About Him Right Now. We Also Were Told, Just By Other People, Noone In Law Enforcement Or Anything, That He May Only Be There For 2 Weeks And Then Sent To Prison Or It Could Be Up To A Month. We've Been Told So Much And We Don't Know What To Believe. I Have Already Started Writing To Him, Will He Be Able To Write Me Back? I Want To See Him So Bad I Don't Know What To Do. He Was Sentenced To 18 Months, So How Long Will He Really Serve In Prison? We Are Just Trying To Let Him Know That The Whole Family Is Behind Him, Supporting Him, We Still Love Him Very Much, Thinking Of Him Daily, And Most Of All Praying For Him. If Anyone Knows The Honest Answers To This, Please Let Me Know. I Greatly Do Appreciate The Support Right Now. My Family Is So Devistated By This Right Now, You Would Actually Think That We've Had A Death In The Family. Oh, Can He Write Us Back? Do We Need To Pay For His Supplies And Stamps Or What Do We Do? Again, Thanks For The Help And Support.

joshsmom221
06-09-2007, 03:31 AM
Welcome Gregory's Sister. I will try to answer some of your questions. No. There is NO a/c in R&E as far as I kremember. My son said the worst thing about SCDC (he's been in 2 years this month) is going through R&E. I've never heard anyone say 2 weeks there. Shortest I've ever heard is 30 days and it can be longer. My son was there between 5 - 6 weeks. Your brother can write you but it will probably take about 2 weeks before you hear from him. SCDC gives them, I believe, 2 envelopes and a couple pieces of paper. Unfortunately, your brother is there at the end of the fiscal year - meaning a new budget takes over July 1st and the budget pretty much runs dry by the middle of June - meaning he might has to wait until the 1st of July to get envelopes (they are stamped). Your brother will be given a PIN number and he can call home about the 2nd week. Your family will need to get an account with Embarq if you want a discount on the pay phone collect charges (20%). It's a pre-paid account. Your family will have to send in a telephone priveledge form within the next month or so for him to be able to call after that. He will not call much while he is at R&E. I think there is only like 2 phones for all the guys and he will have a hard time getting to the phone. You will probably here from him 1 time and then again when he gets wherever SCDC sends him. Yes, they shave their hair off. They also de-lice them whether they need it or not. They go through degrading strip searches where they stand naked at attention while they are being inspected for tatooes, scars or medical problems. They are jammed into cells - 3 or more in a tiny cell, which is horrible during the summer because of the heat and lack of a/c. You can write him as much as you want. They do get the mail IF you have his SCDC inmate #. It takes longer to get to him if you don't. Go to the SCDC webpage www.doc.sc.gov Click on Family. When a new page opens, on the RIGHT side click on Family Info.. At the new page, scroll down to the bottom and click on "Search for Incarcerated Inmate. When a new page opens you will see where to type in your brothers name. Click submit. If he is in the system it will bring up a picture of your brother (if available) and his inmate number. This is what you write on an envelope:
Your Brother's Name, 315000 (whatever the number is)
Kirkland Reception and Receiving
4344 Broad River Road
Columbia, SC 29210

He will get the letter without the inmate number but it will take longer because someone has to look him up. You can not send him books or anything but a letter (no more than 5 standard pieces of paper that will fit in a 1 stamp envelope). While at R&E you brother will have his DNA taken, any medical problems documented, he will take appitude tests to see if he needs GED school (there's virtually no educational opportunities beyond GED) or remedial reading. He will go through classification which is where they decide what institution to send him to. SCDC claims they place inmates according to age and offense. My experience is that is not so. I've heard they simply go down a list and wherever your name falls on the list is where you go. They will also decide if your brother's time will be violent or non-violent. If he is classified non-violent, he will do 51% of his time. If he is violent, he will do 85%. I'm not sure how this works. I've seen people who did violent things classified as non-violent and non-violent offenders classified violent. I would assume a probation violation would be classified non-violent but I do not know the circumstances so anything I guess would be just that - a guess. He will not be allowed visitors for at least the 30 days he is in R&E. I've heard if he goes over 30 days he can ask for a visit but I do not know anyone who has actually gone to R&E for a visit. As far as paying for things. Your brother will be given an account for you to send him money. You can not send him money, stamps, envelopes or food directly. Once you have his SCDC # you can send him money through either a money order (sent directly to SCDC) or through jpay (www.jpay.com) or through Western Union (I don't know how to do that as I use jpay). If you send a money order it MUST be from the post office. I made a mistake and send a regular money order bought at a convenience store and it was sent back. If you use jpay you use your Visa checkcard or a regular credit card and send money over the internet. I'm not sure about Western Union but I do know you can take cash or credit/check card to any place that accepts Western Union. I do not know if you can do Western Union over the Internet. Jpay and Western Union charge a fee, postal money order only costs for the money order. I think Jpay charges $2.95 for $20., $5.95 up to $100., $7.95 up to $200., $9.95 up to $300.. He can not use this money while he is in R&E but it would be there waiting for him once he is transferred wherever he goes. IOW's, the money follows your brother. I hope I've answered most of your questions.

I'm sorry if it upsets you to hear R&E is so hard. At least it is for a relatively small amount of time. Things will get easier once he moves to his next institution. He will make it through this time. It won't be easy but he will survive. Let me know if I can help in any way. Oh, also do a search for South Carolina. Each state has their own pages here and you'll find a wealth of information just for South Carolina. Also, look for Sandlapper Lounge. That's where we hang out, talk, give advice, hold hands, hug whatever is needed - where we chat. You will get to know us and believe me you will find friends who understand what you are going through.
Sherrie (Josh's mom)

GREGORYSISTER
06-11-2007, 04:04 PM
I Just Can't Get Pass The Thought Of Them Holding Their Food As A Type Of Punishment. That Is Inhumane And Not Healthy At All. I Told My Mom That You Were Sending Me A Copy Of The Visitation Form, That Kinda Perked Her Up A Little. I Told Her That Maybe If We Go Ahead And Get Them In Now, We May Not Have To Wait So Long To Visit With Him. His Charges Are Non-violent. He's Never Had Any Violent Charges That I Know Of. The Only Charges That I Am Aware Of Is The Fraudulent Checks, Drugs (unauthorized Narcotics), And Probation Violations. Also, According To The Chesterfield County Solicitor, He Informed My Family That My Brother May Be Able To Get Out And Be Home By Christmas. I Hope He's Right, But I Am Not Going To Get My Hopes Up On Anything Yet. We've Been Told So Much, But Like I Told My Mom, We Don't Need To Take Any Of It For Granted. Things Can Always Change Without A Reason While He's In Prison. All I Know To Do, Is To Keep Prayers Going For Him And The Family And Pray That God Will Help Him Stand Strong And Not Get Into Anymore Trouble While He's In There. I Hope That Your Son Will Soon Get Out And Straighten Up For You. My Kids Are All Still Small And I Pray Everyday That I Won't Be Faced With Any Of This When They Do Get Older. That's All We Can Do. Take Care Of Yourself And Thank You Very Much For All Of Your Help And Support.

carrielovestim
08-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know anything about Gilliam Psychiatric Hospital at Kirkland?

Mamoo
10-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I was told that they can just get a holiday package at Christmas from the company on the SCDC website. If my son is still at R & E, how will I know where to send it? It has to be ordered by Nov. 8. Also, does anyone know what the boot camp (shock) is like? Has anyone died there???

barky586
10-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Here is some information on SHOCK here:

http://www.doc.sc.gov/programs/shock.jsp

Go ahead and order the package and put the address down as R&E (or wait until the 6th or 7th or so if he has been there 30 days or more). The package will follow him as long as you use his SCDC number.

BoriWife317
01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
:confused: I was wondering if anyone had been to R&E lately for visitation. I get to go on Monday and I want to purchase a food card to be able to get snacks for my husband during the visit but I just don't know how much to put on the card. Money is extremely tight since I'm not working, and obviously he isn't either. LOL. Wondered if anyone knew what kinds of snacks they have and general prices so I put the right amount on my card.
Thanks

barky586
01-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Well, the card will be $5.00. You can both get a sandwich, chips and a soda each for $10, so plan on $15. Remember, the paykey won't take dollar bills though.

Lil B
01-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Im so glad for this site! I have a freind that went a few weeks ago and I have been looking high and low for his address so I can write him and at least let him know Im still out there thinking of him.

barky586
02-01-2008, 03:18 AM
Lil B, did you locate the address for Kirkland R&E and his SCDC number okay? If not, let us know and we'll help. :)

sadsituation
02-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Hey everyone,

I just found this forum while googling Kirland, My friend has recently been sent there last month, I would like to visit him, but Im not immediate family. Is there anyway after his 30 days I can see him. If it is possible that I can visit him, how many days in a row can I see him, and for how long? He is in for Armed Robbery, is there a chance he will be seen as Non-violent, and only serve 51% of his time. The database says he has 20yrs, and so does the media, but both he and his mother told me 14 because he served 1 already.

BoriWife317
02-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I had my first visit with husband at R&E last Monday and have my next one tomorrow. The visitation is between 12-2. You have to call visitation at the prison a week prior to your visit AFTER your relative has been there for 30 days. You can only bring in car keys on a chain with nothing else on it (no groc tags, pics, etc). The only jewelry you can wear is a wedding set and stud earrings. Take only your DL or other state ID, keys and the money you are going to use to buy a pay card to get snacks (only takes $5, $10, $20 bills with a max load of $50 on card). I got there about 15 minutes early. Park in the lot across from the prison. If you are going to get a pay card, get that in the vending machine outside by the office before you go into the office. I purchased one and put $15 on it. (We got 2 sands, 1 bags of chips, 2 candy bars, 1 soda and had $3 left on card.) I waited my turn and went to the desk and gave my inmate's number and name and gave them my DL. I signed a visitor form and took it with me. I had to empty out my pockets into a plastic bin and put my shoes in there also. I had to turn out my pockets to show they were empty and then go through the metal detector. There is a sign that says that if you set off the alarm twice you will be subjected to a strip search. They call up to the ward your loved one is on and tell the ofcr they have a visitor and get them prepared to go to visitation room. When all that was done I had to wait for them to open the door. You walk down a very long tunnel then up some stairs, through several sets of doors and then into a big room that looks like a huge cafeteria with small tables and plastic chairs. You are greeted by an officer who takes your visitor form and tells you where to sit and how to use the snack machines etc. You sit and wait for your loved one. It took my husband forever to come out. It was a little after 12:30 before he came out. We were allowed to hug and kiss moderately (nothing overly mushy but great enough for me!) We got snacks and visited until a little after 2:00 and then they told us it was time to go. We held hands while we walked toward the door, hugged long hug and kissed several times and then he waited to be taken back and I went on out. By the time I got out it was close to 2:30. I will say that every staff member I encountered was very, very nice.

nikileigh
02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
thank you so much BoriWife317 for that info....thats tells me pretty much what to expect when i go there. i can not wait, so we do have to call and they will tell us when we will be allowed to visit? thank you again for that info...its the most recent updated info on what they do there that i have recieved! thanks again.

BoriWife317
02-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Well, I was informed today when I called R&E visitation to make sure my husband was still there and visitation priviledges were okay so I could see him on my scheduled visit today. All was fine. Then I asked to go ahead and make an appointment to see him next week and they informed me that I couldn't make any more appointments this month to see him because there was now a 2 visit a month limit, that this was a new policy they were implementing. I was furious!!! I had not heard this at all. My husband had not heard this either. I am going to call again tomorrow and ask to speak to someone in charge and see what in the world is going on.

I usually call on Monday at 9:00 a.m. (They say the hours to call is 8-12 on Mondays and Tuesdays but I've never gotten them to answer the phone before 9 am.) I make an appointment for the following Monday to visit my husband. The following Monday I call at 9 am to make sure he is still there and his visitation priviledges are still okay. Then I head out there in order to arrive at 12 pm.

If anyone else had heard this stupid change in visitation rules, please let me know. This is stupid. There usually isn't but about 6 people who come visit a day anyways! They have room for much more!!
Lisa

BoriWife317
02-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Chinners, you are most welcome for the info, I hope you enjoy your visit.

Everyone with loved ones at Kirkland R&E I must tell you that there seems to be a problem with staph infections going on out there. My husband has never in his life been sick or had any kind of skin infection other than a spider biting him once but now he's had 2 different skin infections. I noticed the first one when I first visited and there was a huge hard knot under his chin. I told him to see the Dr but no one ever came and got him. Now he has one on his leg. The way he says he has to treat it is gross. He says there are a LOT of guys in his ward that have real staph infections. He said his former roommate had a boil/blister on the back of his head and went to dr where they sliced it open with a blade and drained it and gave him antibiotics. YUCK!

My husband says they wash like 50 uniforms together in a machine that only takes 20 so there is no way those uniforms and undergarments are getting clean! He's lucky because he's been there so long that one of the guards made him a runaround (gopher) and he can bathe more frequently and wash his clothes more and get clean sheets more often. So he's trying to stay sanitized (LOL).

He also said they now have to carry not only their own cup to chow, they have to bring their own plastic spoon. He said there is a big container with some kind of liquid the inmates are supposed to dip their cup and spoon in when they finish eating in order to clean and sanitize them. Uh, excuse me, they all are putting their stuff in the same big container?! How gross. My husband says he refuses to do that and goes back to the cell and washes his stuff in the sink.

I am NOT happy about learning that there is staph running around like nuts over there. I wrote someone in the health division of the prisons and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

If anyone else learns anything, please let me know! CHECK ON YOUR LOVED ONE AS SOON AS YOU CAN!
Lisa

nikileigh
02-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Thats so Disgusting! i am worried. that makes no sense at all, they are still people and shouldnt be treated like animals...maybe thats their way of trying to keep the habitual offenders from ever comming back once released. i just got a call this morning and my husband was transferred to Kirkland around 8 am. now the 30 day waiting process begins...that sux about only visiting 2 times a month, maybe your husband will get transferred soon and you can start visiting more often. if you here anything else will you please keep updating any new info....this is my only source of good info so far. gives me a heads up for when i finally get to visit! thank you. good luck with everything!

BoriWife317
02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I spoke with them in visitation at Kirkland again today and asked them when did they start doing this and why. She said that this had been the policy all along but had actually been letting them have 8 visits (I don't think she's right about that one either - it's 4) but that people on inmate's visitors list weren't getting an opportunity to visit the inmate. She said that the same visitors were calling and setting up appointments to see the inmates. Uh, duh! I told her, "I'm the only person on my husband's visiting list so no one else would be coming up here. There is no one else to share visitation with." And that rule still doesn't make any sense because the same people can call and schedule to see the inmate those 2 times he has. How does that enable the inmate to have more visitors than the one that keeps scheduling visitation appts with him? I could understand if they only allow one visitor to come visit 2 times a month if the inmate has other visitors on his visiting list, but that is not what they are saying. Seems a bit insane to me. I want someone else to call up there and ask them all of this. Their number is (803) 896-2000. Please post what they say. Thanks.

Oh, and my hubbie is trying to see the Dr today because his sore is bad. That is just great! My never been sick before husband winds up going to the pokey only to get some dreaded flesh-eating disease! LOL. Funny but not, ya know?:angry:

nikileigh
02-15-2008, 03:58 PM
he said he can only come out his room for food- 10 minutes per meal, and for a shower on mon,wed, and fri. for only 5 mintues. he said he really didnt realize how much he hated the prison system and all until he came back to kirkland and that they are saying he will be there for 2 months. i am going to try to write the prison and see if they could at least put him close to home, little over 3 weeks and our baby will be born so it would help the closer he was to home...He is not allowed any visitors until the 13th of March and i am due to have our baby on the 14th...which means i'll have to wait a few weeks till they approve our daughter for visitation to go see him. i will call a week ahead like you mentioned above and see when i can visit him. i would also call each week you want to visit and try to put your name on the schedule ... it may just depend on who is working the calls and you will get to see your husband more, not sure though. does anyone know how long a visitation request will take? i'm sending off mine and my sons tomorrow but i wont be able to send my daughters till she is born and i would like him to see her asap. i also informed my husband of the staff infections going around and maybe he'll let me know some more details about the place...i'll keep ya posted. thanks!

joshsmom221
02-16-2008, 01:21 AM
BoriWife, all the institutions battle infections and staph infections are all all of them not just Kirkland. It is impossible to have so many people crammed together and not have these things. Unfortunately, some of the inmates do not bathe properly or often enough and are generally nasty. What some people do about the laundry is pay to have their laundry handwashed or they do it themselves. A lot of people get no canteen money and they'll wash your clothes for afew dollars - it's a way for them to have something and it's encouraged - a kind of spreading the wealth around. They do the same thing with housekeeping. My son paid one person to do his wash and another person to sweep his floor so that 2 guys could have something. It's better than having your stuff stolen by people who are hungry and have nothing. I agree the dipping "silverware" and cups into a communal sledge pool is gross I don't care if it is called a sanitizer. Restaurants do this also but it is followed by use of a dishwasher. Everyone I know washes their utensils back in their room. SCDC started this practice about a year ago claiming it would save them money. Wonder how much it costs them in medical due to spreading diseases and germs? What really yanks at me is the time limit they are given to eat. I think it's 15 minutes per dorm. If you are last in line you are lucky to have 5 minutes to swallow your food. When they say time is up, you get up whether you've eaten or not.

Congratulations of losing so much weight. I'm sure you feel better. I hope and pray your surgery turns out good for you.

Sherrie

nikileigh
02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
my husband is allowed visitors in exactly 14 days...well thats when his 30 days are up....so do i have to call that day to schedule a visitation ofr him a week later or can i call before to schedule a visitation right after his 30 days are up? are there only certain days you can visit? do the last names alternate? does anyone has a visitation schedule or do we just call to find out and does anyone have the number i am suposed to call about the whole visitation thing? i am sooo anxious to see him! thank you all!

BoriWife317
02-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Chinners, how are you? I hope all is well. My husband was finally transferred to Wateree so I don't have to go to Kirkland anymore but let me tell you what I know about visitation there.

You have to wait until his 30 days are up to be able to call and make an appt. They won't let you call the week before to set up an appt for the week his 30 days is up. And you can only call their office on Mondays and Tuesdays to make an appt. They say their hours are 8-12 but I've NEVER gotten anyone to answer the phone before 9 am. And if Monday is a state holiday then the only day you can call to set up an appt is on Tuesday. When you call on a monday or tuesday of say week 1, then you set up a visit appt for any weekday on week 2. Visitation is from 12-2 M-F. I will tell you that they told me that you could only schedule 2 visits a month and they started that in February. Maybe you can get them to give you a better explanation as to why they are doing that. They said it was so other people on the inmates visitors list could visit. But they were telling me the inmate could only have visitors 2 times a month. That doesn't solve their problem because the same visitor can still call and make appt to visit those 2 times instead of all 4 weeks. I tried to explain to them that I was the only visitor on my husband's visiting list but it didn't matter. If you get them to tell you something that actually makes sense, let us all know.

I hope this helps. Oh, make sure you don't go very early or they won't let you come into the office, they will send you back to your car to wait until almost 12.

BoriWife317
02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Oh, more info for you. I couldn't remember what all you asked about. There is no rotating visiting schedule. It doesn't go by last name or anything. Just call and make an appt for any weekday the following week. The number to call to get the staff that makes the appts is (803) 896-2000. It is wonderful when you finally can get to see them!!
Good luck. If you need anything else, please PM me or post it here.

BoriWife317
02-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Sherrie, sorry I hadn't been on in a bit. Thanks so much for your insight. It is so gross that I just hate the thought of my husband being in such a place. I know he did the crime that got him where he is... but really now. I could understand if they committed some horrid crime but little petty stuff is a bit much. I'm appalled at how SC doesn't see fit to implement good rehab programs in their prison system. Everything is about saving a buck. My husband learned long ago when he had to do another stint for stupidity that the best thing he could do was work in the kitchen. He said they get lots of respect and you could eat a lot better than the general population. And my husband is all about eating good. (Shame he can eat anything and still be fit as a bodybuilder. Makes me sick. :blah: ) It is amazing that most of the offenders that are in prison are there due to drugs. Do they think locking them up is going to fix their drug problem? Nope, they just have an avenue to hook up with 25 more dealers when they get out. Anyhow, that's another whole issue I could stand on my soap box forever and blow about.:eek:

And THANKS for the :thumbsup: on the weight loss. I feel GREAT!!! Even though its just a little bit now, I feel better than I have in about 7 years. I had gotten to the point where I couldn't even breathe anymore. Life was so depressing and pointless. When I saw my husband getting his life together and goint to counseling and getting clean and staying clean for once in his life and trying to be the person he had always wanted to be, I decided it was time I did the same so we could live a long and happy life together. Even though I had to do it while he was locked up and be completely alone through it all it was worth it. It was really sad for me to know that my lovie had finally gotten in touch with God and was getting better only to have to go pay for a stupid $600 charge that he did a while back when he was beyond morbidly depressed after the death of his father. But such is life. He'd done things before that messed his life up and even though he has to serve this time he got a taste of what sobriety and a good life felt like and is determined to stick with it when he gets out. I actually believe him this time. I see it in his heart.

I just want to say to all those family members who have loved ones in prisons due to the perils of drug use, DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR LOVED ONE. I urge all of you who have this demon set upon your family to go to the website - mothersofaddicts (it won't let me put in the entire address but use www and .com and it will get you there) and read as much of the entries as you can, especially the ones written by addicts themselves. Go to Al-Anon meetings or get the al-anon literature and go to the library and bookstore and get as much information you can about drug use and educate yourself on what they are going through. I urge you to get the book entitled: Living on the Border of Disorder: How to Cope With an Addictive Person (Paperback) by Cherry Boone O'Neill (Pat Boone's daughter) (Author), Dan O'Neill (Author). You can find it online at Amazon.com, used for as low as 1 cent. This book will make you look at your loved one in a whole new light. They need at least one person who believes in them (you don't have to enable them, just believe in them) because they don't believe in themselves. To know that there is at least one person in their life who loves them and thinks they are worthy can often be the thing that gives them the strength to believe in themself and get the help that will save their life. I know that the effects of drug use are hell on a family. You have to do what you need to do for your own family but if you want to help your loved one and yourself, please research and get involved.
God bless you all!

nikileigh
02-29-2008, 05:20 PM
thank you again for your information....i am just getting so anxious and nervous about seeing him! i can not wait! :D ....you have helped a lot....How long was your guy in before he got transferred? they told my husband he would be in for 2 months....just wondering if it happened like that for yours as well.....i also read your other post and you give very good advise, i am sure someone out there needed to hear that. glad to hear he got transferred and maybe everything is better for him there instead of Kirkland... did he get moved close to home or is that an even farther distance for you? i pray my husband gets put close to home! take care, i wish you the best!
THANK YOU SO MUCH - again!

BoriWife317
02-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Chinners, you are so welcome. My husband was in Kirkland exactly 60 days. When his 2 mo anniversary came around, they moved him to Wateree that day, which is an hour from my house and costs WAY more than talking to him in Kirkland. I was none too happy about that. I was told they have a TON of prisoners coming in and they don't know where to put them all. I'm supposing that is why they sent him there. He didn't need to be in a medium sec prison. What he did definitely didn't warrant a medium sec prison, minimum at best. He's not very happy right now and neither am I because I'm not working and going to see him is tough. Fortunately, another member who has a loved one there will carpool with me to help me be able to go see him. But paying $2.61 a phone call versus $0.76 is a HUGE leap for me.

I hope all goes well with your hubbie. Hang in there. We must stick together to get through this hard time. We do the time right along with them!

Thanks for all the kind words.

nikileigh
03-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Your welcome as well...i have no way to get phone calls and i wish i did...all i have is a cell phone and was told they cant call cell phones, right now he is about 2 hours away, i am close to charleston and pray he gets moved to either mcdougal or leiber....they are the closest prisons....i have no way to hear from him - he said he got 4 envelopes and has already sent me 3 within the first 2 weeks of him being there....i think he said in one letter that he may get more after the 12th of this month....i am trying to be strong and i am doing a good job but its like i am used to hearing from him and i get a letter and i'm happy and then slowly start to get down again by the 6th day after getting a letter...this time has been the longest though since i havent recieved a letter since the 22nd and since our baby is due in two weeks i told him to save his last envelope till after i send him a picture of our daughter so i would get some sort of reaction to what he thinks and feels....he said he could trade his food for an envelope but i dont want him to have to do that.....i just pray he is okay since i cant hear from him...
that is good you can carpool with someone, my husbands family wants to take turns riding up for visits when he is allowed them but i dont know...thank you for the number as well! good luck to you and your loved one, it is very nice to have others that are going through the same thing and can help. take care!:)

jlstar
03-07-2008, 10:22 PM
I am new to this but I have a question about being in Kirkland R & E. My boyfriend just got transfered there about a week ago BUT before then he kept talking to me about a having to pay for something. He asked me to send him some money. A large lump sum of money. I'm like, why? Because the website says he's already been sentence. (FYI: He did not tell me when he went to court) Recently, he just asked me to send the money again to make a down payment on some courses for work release or something like that. Maybe it's for the lawyer. (If that's the case I can give the lawyer the money myself) I am not sure. I am confused because I think that he's just trying to get over on me. Ive been reading information saying that they can't event touch the money in Cooper's Trust Fund until they get transferred to an actual location. Is this true? Can someonehelp me? I love him to death but I am always so suspiscious of his actions. Does anyone know what this money could be going towards?

Hsbmjb
03-08-2008, 02:48 AM
Hi everyone. i am new to this website and new to all this prison stuff. I have read A LOT of postings on here about Kirkland R and E. It seems like a horrible and dreadful place, but i still have a few questions...My boyfriend of almost 5 years was sent to Kirkland on March 6th and i have heard nothing from him. i know it has been only a couple of days but i need to know what i need to do so i can communicate with him. Can i send him a letter? if so, where do i mail it? Can i send him any money? if so, what is the best way? Also, my boyfriend isnt a big guy at all. is he at least somewhat safe??.........oyea, he is supposed to go into the SHOCK program for 90 days after Kirkland...any advice is greatly appreciated!! i am extremely lost and i know my boyfriend needs me but i have no clue where to begin. please help!!!! i have looked online but i feel that the people on here will be much more help. and when i go to visitation is short sleeved shirts not allowed??????

barky586
03-08-2008, 05:57 AM
The biggest thing you can do for him right now is the write him - and write often. You cannot send money (via his Cooper account) until he is done with R&E and sent to a regular prison. Bear with him if he doesn't write back often - he won't be getting a whole lot of supplies there. But getting a letter, I promise you, will be the highlight of his day. Even though he is little, if he minds his own business and doesn't try to start something with others, he should be fine. As for visitation, the concern there is if the shirt can ben looked into via the sleeveless arms or see through as in thin, light colored (white) material. You'd be fine with darker colors that fit so that they can't be peered into via the sleeves.

Hsbmjb
03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Thank you so very much for your reply!! :) i have another question, since he has only been there for a few days will he receive any mail i send him? the only information i have is Kirklands address and my bf's i.d number...is that all the info. i need? i really want to make sure he gets my letter. i want to send him one everyday if he can get them...i feel so guilty for sitting here, i feel like i should be doing something to help him. Also, can Kirkland hold him for more than 4 weeks?? any other information will help! ANYTHING will help at this point.:)

barky586
03-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Yes, Kirkland can and will hold him for more than 30 days. Probably more like 60 the way they are working right now. Yes, always use the SCDC number along with his name and address. When he does write you back, notice if he uses a living area or dorm in the return address. If he does, use it from then on (as long as he is at Kirkland).

Hsbmjb
03-09-2008, 06:11 PM
thank you so much!

nikileigh
03-10-2008, 05:09 PM
My husband is curently at Kirkland R&E...his 30 days will be up on wednesday, they give each person 4 envelopes for the first 30 days they are there, he should send you a letter with his info. my husband used 3 of his letters the first 2 weeks he was there and is saving his last letter to send me hopefully this week, i think he gets more envelopes after wednesday but maybe not, he also said they will be keeping him there for 2 months so he has 30 more days to go before he is transferred- thats the new 'length of time to do at kirkland' he sent me the visitation forms to fill out and send in and also a couple 'cooper trust fund slips' - he hasnt said anything about having a hard time there, this isnt his first time, but he has already been in trouble for not shaving and had to miss a meal. he asked for me to write him everyday being i aint able to get collect calls so i write him every single day and send a letter off for him everyday. they are allowed up to 10 pictures in each envelope and up to 5 magazine clippings. no nudity is allowed in the pix. lol. you can send as many letters as you want, i sent him one the first day i knew he was transferred like this:
Inmate's Name
scdc# 000000
Kirkland R&E Center
4344 Broad River Road
Columbia, SC 29210
that is the correct address you just have to put your boyfriends info. when he sends you a letter he should put his room/cell number on it and when you know that just write it in after his scdc # ......just make sure you put his number on there and they will get it to him. i didnt know they couldnt get in there canteen till they were transferred though, i send my husband 20.00 per week until money picks up. he asked for some money for shoes and shirts and for an electric razor and radio and all that will cost about 200.00 they are expensive in there. good luck to you! i was right where you are a couple weeks ago but everyone on here helped out a lot! if you have any questions just ask. -niki:)

Hsbmjb
03-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Thank you nikki! i just received my second letter from him today. It also contained the visitation form and the cooper trust fund forms. i do have a few questions about the visitation forms. i know i have to get it all right. on the form it asks if i have EVER been convicted of a crime....i was convicted of a crime 4 years ago and went through PTI and it was expunged...so...even though it is expunged do i still have to list that on the visitation sheet and if I do where do i get the information about the date it happend and so forth? Also, 3 years ago i had to go to court for a crime ( which i didn't commit) and i was found NOT GUILTY. so do i have to list that one also?? Also, these Cooper Trust Fund forms...Am i supposed to fill one out and mail it WITH the money order and do i make copies of these because i only have three?? If i send him money how will i know he received it? **he has only been at Kirkland for 10 days. I don't even know if he can receive money** this is all so over whelming. i need all the help i can get at this point. I am also very scared i will not be able to see my boyfriend because of some stupid choices i made. Do they usually allow people to visit even if they have been in trouble?? thank you to those of you that are taking time to respond to my questions!!!!!!

Hsbmjb
03-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Okay, another question, after my boyfriend has been in Kirkland for 30 days will i be able to see him? Since I'm not apart of the immediate family im scared i won't be allowed to see him. Also, what happens if he moves to a different facility before the visitation forms are approved?? will i have to fill out more forms?? im "lost in the dark". please help.

barky586
03-16-2008, 04:21 AM
I'm not sure about the immediate family part. I do know that once 30 days have passed, you can apply for a visit to see him there at R&E. Just call them to schedule that. Doesn't matter if he does move. If you're approved, your approval status will follow no matter which facility he is sent to. No more forms - just that one.

nikileigh
03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Okay i am not sure at all about the whole expunged thing SO what i would do is call the number on th back of the form and ask them, you have to press 1 when you call and leave a message with your name and number and the question you have- you call that number to ask about status of approval for visitation but i think they would answer that question for you. but doesnt expunged mean that it is totally removed from your record? if so then no you dont have to put it because they would have no way of checking it, also if you were NOT convicted of that crime when you went to court then you do not have to put that down. Okay my husband only sent me 3 cooper trust fund slips as well- you have to make your own copies, i would go to the post office and lay all three next to each other and make copies of them on the same sheet- it saves money and gets you more at a time instead of just copying one at a time when needed, also you can go to the scdc website (www.doc.sc.gov (http://www.doc.sc.gov)) and go under 'family' and click on 'sending money' and it will give you another link to click that will have a copy of the cooper slip and you can just print it out, it will also give you a link that you could transfer money online, i use the Jpay one and then you dont have to be hasseled about mailing money or having the slips....when you send a money order, you MUST send the cooper slip with it and the slip tells you how to fill out the money order and where to mail it, also the money order can only be bought from the post office- NOT a store. you wont know he recieves it, i sent my husband 20.00/week...i think the scdc website has a number you can call to check his balance (not positive though) i heard they cant use any money while in r&e BUT i know if they have to return your mail to you for some reason they will take the money out of his canteen to send it back so it may be a good idea to send money now and pplus once he is moved he will get all that money and can buy what he needs instead of you waiting and him having to wait to get enough to buy what he needs....my husband was moved out on the yard last week and says its so much better than r&e and he got his money i sent and bought his shampoo/soap/deoderant/and some snacks. it cost him about 50.00, he said shoes: 85.00, razor: 60.00, radio: 45.00---that was what he recently asked money for and i sent it to him, once he gets everything needed he will be better and you wont have to send so much........also, you will be allowed to visit once approved even though you are just his girlfriend and you can start visiting a week after his 30 days are up once you call and make an appt first. once you are approved for his visiting list you will be put on it and will stay on it until he removes you- no matter where he goes his visitor list goes with him and the people on it stays on it. i think they can have up to 16 people on their list. also go to the scdc website and look your boyfriend up- all you need is the last name and it will show where he is located, keep checkin it and you'll see when he gets transferred and where to once it happens....also if you put money in his canteen, he will have something to buy envelopes with and can write you as soon as he is moved and you'll know. ummmm i think i answered all your questions...maybe said more than you wanted but think i covered just about everything....anything else just ask and i'll answer or try to find out what you need for you. OH and they are saying that the inmates are kept in r&e for almost 2 months so you dont have to worry about him being transferred until he has already been in there for a month. take care, i know how it feels...so glad i can help you! if he is moved before the visitation form is approved it wont make a difference, once it is approved you will be put on his list. i am not sure if you can visit r&e unless you are imediate family but if you cant- you will be able to once he is transferred. Good Luck!

Thank you nikki! i just received my second letter from him today. It also contained the visitation form and the cooper trust fund forms. i do have a few questions about the visitation forms. i know i have to get it all right. on the form it asks if i have EVER been convicted of a crime....i was convicted of a crime 4 years ago and went through PTI and it was expunged...so...even though it is expunged do i still have to list that on the visitation sheet and if I do where do i get the information about the date it happend and so forth? Also, 3 years ago i had to go to court for a crime ( which i didn't commit) and i was found NOT GUILTY. so do i have to list that one also?? Also, these Cooper Trust Fund forms...Am i supposed to fill one out and mail it WITH the money order and do i make copies of these because i only have three?? If i send him money how will i know he received it? **he has only been at Kirkland for 10 days. I don't even know if he can receive money** this is all so over whelming. i need all the help i can get at this point. I am also very scared i will not be able to see my boyfriend because of some stupid choices i made. Do they usually allow people to visit even if they have been in trouble?? thank you to those of you that are taking time to respond to my questions!!!!!!

Hsbmjb
03-17-2008, 04:39 PM
thank you again. your information has helped me a tremendous amount!!! i plan on sending him some money very soon. After he leaves R and E he will be in the SHOCK program. im not exactly sure how the visitation works there or anything for that matter. i know this may sound very selfish of me but i can't afford to send him money for razors and shoes and radios. he has to finish his time at R and E and then do 90 days of shock. its not like hes going to be in for a long time. i can afford to send him at least some money for the canteen and envelopes. oyea, i called that number on the back of the visitation form and the mailbox was full all weekend, so i called this morning and left a message about the questions i had. im pretty sure i have a clear record but i want to be 100% positive before i fill it out and mail it. do you have any helpful information about the rules of visitation??........thank you again!!!! yall are awesome!

Hsbmjb
03-18-2008, 04:11 AM
Just woke up and its 5 in the morning! im having lots of trouble sleeping because I have so much on my mind. I had an idea though. I went online and printed off some word puzzles and things like that to send to my boyfriend to keep him occupied, but im not sure if printed stuff off the internet is allowed. He is at Kirkland R and E....does anyone know if he can receive these puzzles????? i would like to send them to him as soon as possible.

mimi30513
03-18-2008, 07:02 AM
I have sent my husband printouts from the internet. While he was in Kirkland he had me print out some stuff. He said he could get 10 per envelope, so just make sure not to send them all to him at once. That's a great idea of the puzzles though. I hadnt thought about that. WHere did u find them?

jlstar
03-18-2008, 02:47 PM
wow... this sounds like me when my bf was in county. I sent him puzzles, i made up trivia games.. just things to do so he will stop thinking about the current situation and just me all the time. I just sent him some jokes and lyrics yesterday... i hope he can have them.
Hsbmjb, something that stuck out to me on your post... my bf kept telling me that only the immediate family; husband wife common law wife (they may ask to prove this) bro sis mom dad children w/birth certificate... is allowed to visit them while at R & E. He told me on the visitaion form to say I was his "sister" so that I can get in. I sent the visitation form off and said I was his girlfriend... BECAUSE my mom scared me saying that's the law who knows what they will do if they discover I was lieing. make you pay fine, take me to jail (highly doubt but who knows? they get paid to put people in jail so they might), who knows.... i really wanted to see him but they could have also deny my visit because they look me up in the system (background check) and see i am not his sister... i just got paranoid and didn't want to risk it. I will wait however long I need to wait... he said 30- 60 days... hmphhh...

Hsbmjb
03-19-2008, 12:39 AM
i just googled " printable puzzles" and i came across all kinds of things. i hope he gets them! i understand your pain jlstar!!! my b/f and i have been together for almost 5 years and im really the only person that is completely by his side right now and i might not even get to see him!!! i think it is absolutely ridiculous. i have read some things on here and some girls have been able to visit their boyfriends and some have not. but im not goin to risk it and lie. All i can do is fill the form out and call to see if i am approved a visit....i have nothing to lose. thank yall very much for answering my questions.

HardHeadedWoman
03-19-2008, 02:27 AM
HSJ you will not need to send him money for all of these things. My son went through that program and they had to earn the right to go to canteen once a week and they had a choice of either soda or snack nothing else. all clothes are given to him by the state and they dont ask them to wear something they dont provide.

they supply them with practically everything! phone calls also have to be earned and I think its was like once a week. once he gets to shock which that program is at stevenson (same property as kirkland ) he will not be allowed visits the first 30 days and when he does get visits its only one day for a couple of hours.

Its bootcamp style and they have to earn everything! they walk the chalk line or they will lose the visit that month phone calls and anteen priviledges as small as it is lol. his 90days does not even start until he reaches stevenson. all time sitting in kirkland is wasted time.

at the end of the 90 days you will pick him up and they have a actual graduation program for the ones that made it through. I think it is a excellent programs for young ones that just did something stupid and will learn from that one mistake. if your guy was a slob you can guarantee he will be a neat freak when he first gets home lol. may not last but he will be neat! I kept threatening to send mine back when he would backslide from cleaning lol.

when you do get to visit even though all the other prisons you can wear blue jeans but NOT at these visits! These in the shock program wear bluejeans therefore we cant. he will also be in great physical shape when he leaves.

Hsbmjb
03-20-2008, 03:00 AM
i appreciate everyones help. i must say, this has all been so overwhelming for me. i love my boyfriend and i have always been by his side but right now im feeling like i can't handle this. i want to be strong for him and for us but at this very moment i feel as if i can't do it anymore. i write him every day. sometimes 3 times a day but i don't know if i can hang in there...is this normal to feel this way?? i want to call it quits but then again i don't. any advice?? there are a lot of mixed feelings..im also scared that when he gets out that i won't even know him. sounds weird i know!

barky586
03-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Hsbmjb, if you can get through this, you can get through anything. As my daughter and her husband say, "This is as bad as it can get." It will certainly test your love for each other. It is overwhelming, but will get easier - never easy, but easier. You have to follow your heart, but don't make any rash decisions yet would be my advice to you. :)

nikileigh
03-20-2008, 04:00 PM
glad i could help ya some...i wasnt saying you had to buy any of that stuff- i was just stating the prices of the things that my husband requested to show how much stuff was in there- but he couldnt buy it till he got out of r&e and its not selfish i forgot you mentioned your bf was going to shock, my husband on the other hand will be in for a year, i guess thats why he needs it. It will all be okay- i felt the same way having mixed feelings but they were more about me wondering if he'll be the same or if this will change him for the better or if he'll even still want to be with me after he gets out....i've only been with him 2 years and married for one year and i worry about him just as much as he worries about me out here...its hard but then he has it hard in there as well and any little thing he gets from you will make his day! i printed out questionares and surveys for him to answer and i sent them to him so it would give him something to do- i sent him a 300 question relationship survey to fill out and i filled it out as well and sent him my answers in a way to help us learn more about each other and to also keep a strong bond while we are apart...he enjoyed it so i am sure yours will enjoy what you send him.

*** I go for my FIRST visit tomorrow night from 5-8pm, i havent seen him in over a month and i am SOOOOO happy and i can NOT wait! i am going tonight to buy me something to wear that will fit regulations but still look nice! :)
***also i had our baby last friday and tomorrow she will be one week old, she was born on our 1 yr anniversery, i can not wait for him to see her!!!:D

Hsbmjb
03-20-2008, 10:21 PM
thank you...when i write him i tell him exactly how i feel and he really appreciates the fact that i am honest with him. somedays are okay and some days are terrible. thats pretty much expected though, like you said barky...its not easy. Chinners i can't imagine how excited you are to see your husband!!!! thats great that you are able to. Congratulations on your baby!!!!:D and thank you all so very much for helping me!!! :)

Hsbmjb
03-23-2008, 03:20 AM
i received another letter from my boyfriend today. he said that he is going to have to have eye surgery and that scares me to death. he didn't go into any detail. does anyone know how that works?? hes at kirkland r and e, i mean..can they actually do surgery there?!?! please help me with this. im scared that if he has to have any type of surgery it will delay him from getting into the shock program. can he refuse surgery?? :help:

Hsbmjb
03-29-2008, 08:21 PM
i have posted a few questions on here and i have yet to get a response. im not sure why. maybe im not posting it right. im still very new. but i really need some help here. :( :( my boyfriend was moved from kirkland to stevenson(shock Program) in just 20 days...that was a blessing but here is my problem...when he first got to kirkland he mailed me a visitation form to fill out. so i filled it out and mailed it just a couple days after i got it. of course i was truthful about everything on the form but i just got a letter from my boyfriend and he told me that "girlfriends" are not allowed to visit at shock!!!:eek: is this true????? so he told me to say im his cousin or sister..but its to late for that cuz i already mailed the visitation form off!! ugh. i don't think he understands. Also, he lives with his mother and they do not have a land line....in the letter i received from him today he told me to tell his mom that she HAS to get the house phone turned back on or he won't get parole....WHAT IN THE.......??? i am so confused as to what he means by that?? and when he gets his home phone turned on how will he know that he can call???? i need SERIOUS help. i feel like i am about to LOSE it!! i HATE not knowing what to do. please help.......i need to know about visitation and i need to know about the whole phone thing. i am begging for help.....:( :confused: :confused: :confused: :cry: :cry: :help:

inmatemama
03-29-2008, 09:04 PM
You're right in assuming it's too late to send in ANOTHER visitation form, "as his sister, or cousin", since you've already stated that you're his "girlfriend". Were you and he living together before he went in, cuz if you were, you can claim that you're his common-law-wife, and you will be accepted.... Try that.It may work..
As far as his Mom having to have a landline phone, I don't know what he's talking about, saying he can't get paroled, unless she has one. I think he just has to have a job and report to his parole officer.... {and pay fines..}$$$
I could be wrong though...My husband isn't elligible for parole, so I'm not too familiar with the parole rules, but I felt soo bad for your tone of desperation, that I HAD to reply..Someone, PLEASE help this girl, and tell her what she NEEDS to know. I know you're out there...It "IS" visitation day, but I know someone at this site, can share this information with her... She needs to be able to SLEEP tonight!
Good night Hsbmjb, and hope things work out for you. You're in my prayers...

krissmalls1
03-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately, it is difficult to obtain information on Satuday or Sunday because those are visitation days but if you go to the south carolina depatment of corrections website and click the link for programs you can obtain information from there or you can write or call this person:

Kathy B. Thompson, Director
Division of Young Offender Services
Shock Incarceration Branch
S.C. Department of Corrections
Post Office Box 21787
Columbia, SC 29221-1787

(803) 896-1856 or 896-1772

As for the visitation form, you have already submitted the one listing yourself as "girlfriend" don't try to to submit another changing to cousin or sister may cause serious problems, contact the visitation office or the same person above may be able to answer your questions. I was also advised that the state no longer recognizes common-law-marriages, this was done sometime in the 90's. Good Luck!!!

Hsbmjb
03-30-2008, 02:33 PM
thank you very much for your replies and your help. :) now we didn't live together. he lives with his mom but i stayed there every night. his family is my family. it is just so very heart breaking to know that i can't visit him because we have been together for almost 5 years and he is leaving me responsible to everything while he is in jail. it just isn't fair. i am going to write the director and see if there is anything i can do. i really have nothing to lose at this point so what is the worst that can happen?? i have read EVERYTHING on the scdc website..it is all just "general" information. i read about the shock program and it says NOTHING about girlfriends not being able to visit. it just says visits will be allowed at the end of each month. i would have never filled out the visitation form if i knew this!!! i still need to know what i need to do exactly about the phone situation. any information is greatly appreciated. i am so glad i have this site to go to!!! thank you so much for keeping me in your prayers!:)

SUSIE_SC
03-30-2008, 02:59 PM
The problem about the landline phone could be, if he is released on intense supervision, he would most likely have to wear an ankle bracelet and the only way they can keep up with them is through a phone line. I don't know for sure, but this sounds like what it is.

barky586
03-31-2008, 03:18 AM
SHOCK is very intense and this very may very well be true. I hate to say it. I apologize for not seeing your post! Keep him in letters though. Be sure to have his mother get a land line if at all possible. Like I said, their requirements are tough - it is meant to "SHOCK" them. Having a phone phone is very likely going to be a requirement.

Hsbmjb
03-31-2008, 10:40 PM
thats okay barky586! to be honest i think this program is exactly what my boyfriend needs. he needs to get his act together and fast. but i write him every day. sometimes twice a day. and you were so right about how important it is to write them. my boyfriend says my letters are the only thing keeping him afloat!!!! as far as him needing a landline...that is all in his mothers hands. his

Hsbmjb
03-31-2008, 10:41 PM
thats okay barky586! to be honest i think this program is exactly what my boyfriend needs. he needs to get his act together and fast. but i write him every day. sometimes twice a day. and you were so right about how important it is to write them. my boyfriend says my letters are the only thing keeping him afloat!!!! as far as him needing a landline...that is all in his mothers hands. his mother doesn't think it is important(his mom is a WHOLE nother issue)

Hsbmjb
03-31-2008, 10:42 PM
thats okay barky586! to be honest i think this program is exactly what my boyfriend needs. he needs to get his act together and fast. but i write him every day. sometimes twice a day. and you were so right about how important it is to write them. my boyfriend says my letters are the only thing keeping him afloat!!!! as far as him needing a landline...that is all in his mothers hands. his mother doesn't think it is important(his mom is a WHOLE nother issue) but i stress to her so much how important it is. i mean, its her house and her phone bill..so what else

Hsbmjb
03-31-2008, 10:42 PM
thats okay barky586! to be honest i think this program is exactly what my boyfriend needs. he needs to get his act together and fast. but i write him every day. sometimes twice a day. and you were so right about how important it is to write them. my boyfriend says my letters are the only thing keeping him afloat!!!! as far as him needing a landline...that is all in his mothers hands. his mother doesn't think it is important(his mom is a WHOLE nother issue) but i stress to her so much how important it is. i mean, its her house and her phone bill..so what else can i do?! well thank you everyone for your responses!!!

Hsbmjb
03-31-2008, 10:52 PM
i have NO idea why that last post is on there so many times!!!!! sorry bout that :)

mom2RGB
04-01-2008, 11:57 PM
How long does a new inmate normally stay at Kirkland? Does an inmate get more privileges after the first 30 days are up? My son's first 30 days will be up on April 5th. We still have not had a call from him and we were wondering if that is because he's not allowed to make any calls during the first 30 days.

barky586
04-02-2008, 03:55 AM
Approximately 60 days. After 30 days, you can apply for a visit. R&E used to take about 30 days, but it is taking longer and longer these days. When my son-in-law was at R&E (about three years ago), we received calls, I believe, once a week and they were quick. Why don't you ask him in a letter what the process is now. I'm kind of surprised they aren't letting him call at least occasionally. (They used to have a temporary password and then when you filled out the phone visitation form he would have a more permanent password.)

nikileigh
04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
ok i havent been on in a long time....sorry.....hsbmjb...i wish i could help, but my husband is at kirkland- your boyfriend is right nextdoor to my husbands prison! i also write mine everyday at least once if not 2 or 3 times, lol....they really do love to recieve letters and know that they have someone there for them- is your bf allowed to recieve pix? they enjoy them as well

well everyone the last time i posted i was suposed to be going to see my husband the next day- i drove 2 hours there just to find out i wasnt on his list yet and he thouught i was, i also thought i was being i never got my form returned to me....i called the number from the form and monday i got a reply- the lady said he had too many people on his list at the time but now his list is cleared and i had to re-fill out a form and send it in again to be processed...they 'thought' they sent my form back but i never got it....i had to drive 2 hours back home and i cried the whole way!!!
FINALLY i got to see him last night - i just had a baby 3 weeks ago and none of my pants fit so i got a pair of black pants that were comfy and a grey t-shirt and the lady told me i couldnt go in with out a jacket or longer shirt to cover my bottom, i dont think that was right because nothing was showing and i didnt think they were tight, there were women in there with very tight blue jeans on and all their junk hangn out but i wasnt ablke to go in how i was- thankfully she let me run up to the dollar store and buy a shirt that went almost down to my knees but hey i got to see him and thats all that mattered...
he told me the air conditioner is broke in his dorm and that staff is still pretty bad there...also they just gave them tb shots because a man had it and they didnt find out till he went to the hospital...my husband says its the best place he has been too, he isnt in r&e anymore, he got put on the yard and has more freedom....he looked so dang on good! he is eating well and working out- something he never did when he was home, he is all buff now! i wanted to just take him home soo bad! 8 months 25 days till he is home and i can not wait! i am going to try to go back up there tomorrow morning! how is everyone?

G&W
04-08-2008, 11:51 PM
So my hubby just got to Kirkland yesterday. I know he has to send me the phone forms and visitation forms, but does anyone know how long these take to process? Wondering how long til I get to hear his voice again. I just hate the not knowing and waiting. Also, if they get transferred to the place where they will finish out their time right at 30 days and I can't visit him at Kirkland, how long once he is at a regular facility until I can visit him? Is it another 30 day waiting period or will it be right away? Oh yeah, and what phone system do they use? I had an account set up with Paytel while he was in holding waiting to be transferred to Kirkland but from what I understand the DOC doesn't use this same service, they use Sprint. Can anyone verify for me? I have a cell phone and with Paytel I could get calls from him on that. Will it be the same with the Sprint service? Thanks!

nikileigh
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
i know nothing about the phone calls because i cant get them, sorry...but i got my forms for visitation and sent them out on feb 14th and i got one back on the 28th so it only took 2 weeks for them to process it. when you get the form- write down the 803 number on the back of it and call it within 2 weeks or more and they can tell you the status of your application and they are pretty good with returning your call the next day- you have to leave a message with your question and where they can reach you so they can return the call....also keep an eye out for him on the scdc website and it'll list on there his info and where he is transferred and all....he'll probably let you know before it shows up though anyways. and once you get on the list and if he is moved then no you dont have to wait another 30days....just call whatever prison he is at and they will tell you when he is allowed visitors and the times and rules. hope that helped some.

Hsbmjb
04-18-2008, 12:55 AM
hey ladies! thanks for replying back chinners. i just now noticed it because i haven't checked this thread in a while. my boyfriend is at stevenson right now(shock program) and im still upset about g/f not being able to visit, but there isn't anything i can do about it but yall listen to this...i was looking at some threads and went on the scdc website and they can call cell phones now...at least that what i got out of reading it. i hope its true! i just don't know what process i need to take so i can get it all set up. omg it would be such a blessing if i could hear his voice...it has been a while!!! if yall have any info on this please please let me know!

p.s-hope you ladies are doin well!!!!

CountryGirly
04-29-2008, 08:37 AM
My question is about the visitation form. On the front of the form it asks for the inmate name and SCDC#. Then on the back of the form it asks for the inmate name and inmate number. Is this the same as the SCDC# ? Or do the inmates have two different numbers? I'm sorry if this question sounds silly, but I want to make sure I fill out the form correctly. Thanks to everyone. I will you all the very best.

jlstar
04-29-2008, 10:25 AM
My question is about the visitation form. On the front of the form it asks for the inmate name and SCDC#. Then on the back of the form it asks for the inmate name and inmate number. Is this the same as the SCDC# ?

Yes it is the same #. There is no other # I could think of to put there....:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nikileigh
04-29-2008, 06:09 PM
yep same number and name go on each side.

nikileigh
04-29-2008, 06:15 PM
i am not sure about this, i herd there are ways to get around the whole call thing BUT i dont know how, i wish because then i would be able to talk to my husband since all i have is a cell but i doubt it....if you do find anything out let me know! lol....maybe you can get something through paytel.com i think that is the phone website, i tried to set an account up with them but it didnt work....if i hear anyhting i'll let ya know! good luck and take care!

hey ladies! thanks for replying back chinners. i just now noticed it because i haven't checked this thread in a while. my boyfriend is at stevenson right now(shock program) and im still upset about g/f not being able to visit, but there isn't anything i can do about it but yall listen to this...i was looking at some threads and went on the scdc website and they can call cell phones now...at least that what i got out of reading it. i hope its true! i just don't know what process i need to take so i can get it all set up. omg it would be such a blessing if i could hear his voice...it has been a while!!! if yall have any info on this please please let me know!

p.s-hope you ladies are doin well!!!!

Hsbmjb
04-29-2008, 10:11 PM
hey chinners. i called embarq a few days ago and asked them if inmates in south carolina can call cell phones. the lady said yes!!!! its on the scdc website too. Anyways, i made a copy of my mom's cell phone bill(my number is under her name) and mailed it with the phone privilege form.I also put my mom's name on the phone priviledge form. hopefully it wont take long to process. i am desperate for some type of communication with him...other than letters. As soon as he writes me and tells me i am on his call list i am going to call embarq and set up a prepaid account. she said the minimum is 25.00. not bad. if you have anymore questions i will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. have a good night!!!!!!

JParker
05-02-2008, 06:04 PM
So from what I have read on this board the average initial processing stay is now up to 60 days at Kirkland R&E. I don't have direct information from the family of my friend but through another friend I have heard my friend will be at Kirkland R&E for 90 days. Has anyone heard of a processing stay that long or had a similar estimate given to them? I write to him about every other day and try to give him information that I have found. It is hard for me at the moment because like I said I don't always have accurate direct information. I know he only gets 4 letters a month at first and I told him in my letters that he should use those for his family, not waste one on me. Now that I heard 90 days though I am getting a little more anxious though, I would like to hear from him directly somehow sooner than 3 months.

ANNAMARIA
05-02-2008, 09:15 PM
I need some help. I know nothing about this stuff. My brother is Dustin Evans and has been sentenced to 47 years. he is now in kirkland and I have not heard from him in 3 days. What is Kirkland and why has he not been able to call. I am soo confussed.

barky586
05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Deleting bad information I just gave you. I looked him up and see he is in the regular Kirkland yard (and not R&E). Anyone know what's happening at Kirkland? It is possible that he committed some sort of infraction and lost some privileges.

(I thought your brother's name was familiar and I posted the R&E stuff before I looked him up.)

JParker
05-02-2008, 11:09 PM
How can you tell whether an inmate is at R&E or the regular yard? If somone has just entered prison and was sent to Kirkland doesn't that mean it is for R&E? I know the unit my friend is on is F2 and the location listed for the inmate search is Kirkland.