View Full Version : CRC Norco

missie1977
11-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Does anyone know who the new warden is at CRC Norco? Jo Ann Gorden retired in October, but I have heard nothing about a new warden, I saw on the governors home page that he has appointed 5 new wardens to various prisons, but none at CRC.Does anyone know anything about this, or about CRC possibly closing down? Thanks for any info........... :thumbsup:

lilmama26
11-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Girl, I think you and I are the only Norco "wives" in CA, haha. I don't know about a new warden, but I have heard about the prison closing down. Don't know if it is just rumors or not.... I'll try to research and let you know.

lilmama26
11-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Move may bring prison closures

PAROLE: An effort to release more inmates would reduce the need for one Inland facility.

02:21 AM PST on Thursday, October 30, 2003

By STEFANIE FRITH / The Press-Enterprise

The California Rehabilitation Center in Norco could be one of several state prisons to close as a result of a decision to release 15,000 lower-level prisoners by 2005, officials said Wednesday.

The prison population could decrease by from 6,000 to 15,000 by 2005 due to changes in the state budget that allow for some inmates to be paroled, prison wardens and officials were told Tuesday in a memorandum from California Department of Corrections Director Edward S. Alameida Jr.

"With the population reductions estimated at approximately 15,000 in the 2004/2005 fiscal year, it must be assumed that we may be facing prison/facility closures," Alameida wrote.

It has not been decided yet which, if any, prisons could close, said CDC spokesman Russ Heimerich. A team is being put in place this week to assess where cuts can be made.

"We are looking at the age of the institutions," said Heimerich. "It would make no sense to close down a newer institution or to leave an older institution."

He added that the state is trying to get prisons back to their designed capacities. Some prisons, such as the California Institution for Men in Chino, were designed for 2,778 inmates but now house 6,323, said Sgt. Arioma Sams. He noted that gyms and recreation rooms have been turned into dormitories to house the added inmates.

CRC in Norco is among the state's older prisons. It was built in 1928 as the Lake Norconian Club, a luxury hotel, and later became a prison.

Other older institutions include San Quentin State Prison, built in 1852, and Folsom State Prison, built in 1880.

Don Baumann, president of the California Correctional Peace Officers' Association for CRC, said the Norco prison sits very high on the cutting block. He said he has already been told that CRC will be closed and is now waiting for the official word, which will be turned into Alameida's office by Jan. 15.

He said it is unfair to consider closing the Norco facility because it has better retention rates of correctional officers than other prisons and does not have to spend as much on overtime pay for its officers. Overtime pay for correctional officers cost the state more than $255 million in 2002.

"We have a very good drug-treatment program here that would be difficult at best to duplicate at another prison," Baumann also noted.

Adding to speculation that CRC will close, construction on a $50 million dorm-replacement project at the prison could shut down as early as today. Sixteen dorms were scheduled to be built to replace 32 decrepit dorms built in the early 1940s. The first phase was scheduled to be finished in about a year. Heimerich said it "makes sense" to hold the line on some prison expenditures as the state figures out what to cut.

Many prison experts say California is doing the right thing by paroling inmates, but some say it's way past due, considering that many other states have been shutting down prisons and releasing inmates for years. The state has 160,000 inmates in 32 prisons and about 112,000 parolees.

"The polls have shown that Californians want cuts made from prison spending," said Rose Braz, program director of Critical Resistance, an Oakland-based organization seeking to end the nation's dependence on prisons. "Other states are reducing their prison populations. California has not followed suit."

Corey Weinstein, a board member of the California Prison Focus, an inmate and family advocacy group in San Francisco, agreed, stating that a release of 15,000 inmates is too little and too long delayed. He said legislative analysts have talked for years about how the CDC can save money by releasing inmates who are older or near their parole dates. Unfortunately, he said, legislators see "being tough on crime" as a way to get elected.

"Some of these prisoners have served 15, 20 years," Weinstein said. "These are the kind of folks who tend not to violate their parole. They are very different people than when they came in."

Charles Skaags, Norco's interim city manager, said he understands the state's desire to parole inmates, but he hopes that it won't come to having to close CRC. Inmates from CRC clean up horse trails and do other work for the city, he said. There are also 1,500 employees at the prison.

"They are very worthwhile to have," Skaags said. "It would be a pretty good impact if it closed."

Reach Stefanie Frith at (909) 893-2114 or sfrith@pe.com

INMATE POPULATION

Total number of inmates in California's 32 state prisons:

SGT Anonymous
11-10-2004, 06:40 PM
That article is a year old. Things have changed since that was printed.

missie1977
11-10-2004, 06:44 PM
I think we are the only Norco wives!!! Sgt, do you know what has changed since then?

SGT Anonymous
11-11-2004, 01:11 AM
I don't know anything specific, but I talked to a Sergeant that just transfered from CRC and he told me the closing of CRC was put on hold for now.

lilmama26
11-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Whoops, I sure didn't look at the article date. My bad :)

bettyroxer
11-18-2004, 03:18 PM
CRC is a pit....i know cuz i spent some time there a few years ago. The place needs to be condemned....it is not fit for my Akita to do time at.

lilmama26
11-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Yeah, the thing that my husband complains about the most is the food. He lives mostly off of store food and packages. What else is bad about it, or is everything bad about it? (Besides the visiting room, which i think is dirty and i didn't want to sit in the chairs)

simplycindy
11-20-2004, 02:15 AM
My husabnd was at CRC in 1994, drug treatment, what drug treatment! Some NA meeting once a week. Nothing else period at least in 1994. I'm glad it's closing. He said there was alot of drug avalible there. this is his second time he is in fire camp now. Its much better.

mesa
05-20-2006, 02:46 AM
what is going on with the closure of the womens section of CRC? info is greatly appreciated

ebonyroot
05-24-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm a CRC wife too!!! Hate going there but he'll be home soon.

sazykd
06-02-2006, 06:48 PM
still looking for someone to share gas expences from Bakersfield Ca.to CRC in Norco Ca. I will be visiting my husband.

kat2785
07-10-2006, 12:44 AM
my bf will be sent to crc sometime soon, he's currently sitting in high dessert, so any information you guys could give me will be helpful, thank you.

gayle444
07-10-2006, 07:34 AM
I posted some visiting info for CRC in February. I'm not sure how to link you to it, and I'm in a bit of a rush this am. The link is from 2-13-06; it's in the California Visiting section, and the first few words of the first post were OK ladies...

gayle444
07-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Did anyone visit on Friday afternoon? Was it crowded? What time did you get there, and what time did you get processed?

jackie528
07-15-2006, 05:57 AM
I'm visiting the CRC in Norco for the first this coming Sunday. Any tips?
What kind of items do they allow, dress code, and what time should I arrive?

C Grams
07-15-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry I did not see this sooner, gayle444. I did visit Fri., the 9th. You may have gotten the info. you wanted by now. In case you didn't......here goes.

It was not very crowded at all. I arrived shortly before 3:30PM, not knowing that between 3 and 5, they do not process anyone in for visits. They do have two sessions, between noon and 3 and between 5 and 8.

However, they really start getting everyone out much earlier and we were all out by 7. I hope this is helpful.

C Grams
07-15-2006, 08:04 PM
For jackie528. I have visited CRC three different times on the weekends. I suggest you go to the thread here on visitation for more specifics about rules. However, do know that different CO's interpret things differently. For example, I observed one CO allowing a person to enter visiting wearing something that another one would not allow.

To be safe, black is always good!! Pink, too. You may not wear a white t-shirt unless it has graphics on both front and back. At my last visit, a lot of visitors had to change their tops/pants because they were too tight, too lowcut or had "sexy" writing on them. All of them said they had worn the same thing previously.

The reason they were turned away? This was a brand new rule, the CO told us, because during the last visiting day a visitor and an inmate had had some...er, um...inappropriate contact. I had already heard about the incident from folks who had been there and saw the goings-on! The story made waiting for more than 2 hours in the 90 degree plus heat bearable! Well, sort of.

You may only take in $30 in either one dollar bills or quarters, your ID and your car key, which they take from you and hold until you check out. Money has to be in a see-through bag. I just use a baggie.

Some people start lining up on the street outside the visiting parking lot, in their cars, at midnight. I was told the gates open at 7:30AM. I, however, didn't arrive until after 9:00. Once I was actually able to get in for my visit in the morning. The other times the morning session was already full and I returned around noon. It was almost 12:30 before they processed us in.

Hope this helps.

pati
07-16-2006, 03:25 PM
CRS visiting clothing rules have alway disallowed anything considered "provocative" or "suggestive". What is considered one of those is up to the Leutinate. So, it's always best to be sensible and try to avoid making that drive and waiting in line for nothing. Also, no jeans, chanmbray blue or military looking...anthing that might blend in with either inmates or guards. There actually is a list what what you can and cannot wear.
If you are visiting a male prepare for a line and a wait. If you are visiting a female, no problem. It's sad how few women get visitors compared to the men.

JohnnysGina
08-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Hey Girls! My name is Gina and I am from central california. My hubby has been in since March on a parole violation. Word is that he will be released on the 5 of September. I havent been to visit him due to my request being denied. So my question is, can anybody out there give me better directions than Mapquest? They werent very helpful. I am coming from the San Luis Obispo area. Thanks everyone and I will be around to chat.

Mrs. Juarez
09-27-2006, 05:50 PM
My husband just arrived to CRC couple days ago....i was going to see him at Centinela but it seems that the process here is very different from out there....please help....what time should i arrive? clothes...etc...etc....many thanks....

pati
09-28-2006, 07:57 PM
wellllll...first you better make sure you have an approved application on file. then call to make sure what you can and cannot wear these day. on the day you visit make sure you get there very, very early. I was up the hill at the women's facility and saw the lines down at the men's. they were always extemely long.

ltongaofa
04-01-2007, 01:31 AM
My husband just moved to Norco. And wondering if anyone can help me with info on the visiting. What days is available to visit and what are the hours. I've seen some info posts on Norco but just wondered if anyone had been there recently. How early do I need to be there? I have four kids is there any special things that I should bring with us.

gayle444
04-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I posted on this back in the summer of 2005. I haven't been to Norco since June of 2006, so I don't know what changes have been made since then. There may be some basic info in this posting that may be helpful.

The thread is at http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152574

--Gayle444

teresaquinnie
02-18-2008, 04:30 AM
If anyone is out there still I wanted to know if crc is just a drug rehabilitation center, because unless my boyfriend is lying to me, I don't know why he is there. And I have tried to look his information up on line, but haven't been able to find a free public record search. Hope he's telling me the truth....please help, before I waste a year! T

missie1977
02-18-2008, 06:06 AM
Yes CRC is a drug rehabilitation center.It houses other types of inmates, but it is, and began as a drug rehab prison.California Rehabilitation Center.

1proudwifey
02-18-2008, 10:56 AM
If anyone is out there still I wanted to know if crc is just a drug rehabilitation center, because unless my boyfriend is lying to me, I don't know why he is there. And I have tried to look his information up on line, but haven't been able to find a free public record search. Hope he's telling me the truth....please help, before I waste a year! T
go to the crc thread at the top of "other prisons"for any other info you need, that may help you

adriana2love
02-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Hello everyone!!!

my hunny was just transfered to CRC from CIM.. and any info about CRC or advice will be appreciated