View Full Version : Central Miss. Correctional Facility, Receiving and Classification 101 for families

PTO-29412
12-01-2004, 04:48 PM
I wanted to post this information for familys whos loved ones are going into the MDOC system and this information will be useful to thouse whos loved ones have already been through the process. I was in the MDOC system for 19 months at CMCF and MSP. Nothing is sugar coated, and from here on out I will be referring to your loved ones as Inmate/Convicts/Offenders, I am not doing this out of spite or meaness to you or them, but from here on out this is how they will be referred as to you by MDOC. They are now a number not a name in the states eyes. I will focus mainly on the Receiving and Classification (R&C) stages, all of which will take place at:

Central Mississippi Correctional Facility (CMCF)
P.O. Box 88550
Pearl, Mississippi 39208.
Lawerence Kelly, Superintendent
601-932-2880.

I must stress to you that you should not call CMCF while your loved one is in R&C there will be NO use in calling anyone at CMCF for any information, they do not know and will not tell you anything usefull. Only call for emergencies or Family Deaths. I will also list some tips, and helpful links at the end

1. PICKUP:

The county jail is responsible for letting MDOC know that they have state inmates in county custody, and they will set up a pickup time for them. This information is not known to anyone inside the jail and you will not be notified when they are leaving. By this time the inmate will have been given Yellow Jumpsuits, with MDOC CONVICT printed on the back, Yellow Jumpsuits classify them as “C” Custody. Inmates will not be allowed to take any personal property with them, they will only be allowed to carry there Bible with them, NO PICTURES, No loose papers. I would suggest that they write all of there contacts and address/phone numbers on the blank pages at the front and back of the Bible. In some cases inmates will be given the clothing they wore when they came into the jail to wear to CMCF. If they have none they will wear the MDOC Jumpsuit. ACCORDING TO Rick McCarty’s office, Finance Director, inmates are allowed to have money in their possession to carry to CMCF, this money will be taken from them and placed into their Inmate Account. They will be shackled down and transported to CMCF. Once arriving they will be ordered to stand in a straight line with there backs to the officers, and they will be facing the wall with hands clasped behind the back, and forehead resting on the wall. The officers will then proceed with rolecall, when that inmates name is called they will step forward to have all personal information entered into the computers. Name, address, Emergency contact, etc. Then they will be given an MDOC number which they must memorize immeadeatly. NOONE may use the bathroom during this process. After roll call, they will proceed to the showers where they will be strip searched, and have a cavity search performed. They will be showered, and have deliceing solution sprayed on them. They will be able to dry off and will receive there property. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES are inmates allowed to keep clothing they brought with them. If they do not want to lose it then they should wear it, Everything is burned once it is received. Inmates personal property is issued, 3 pairs of boxers, 3 t-shirts, 1 yellow jumpsuit, 1 pair of keds like tennis shoes, 1 pillow case (no pillow), 2, towels and wash cloths, 2 sheets, roll or toilet tissue, toothbrush and toothpaste. and bar of soap. During winter months they will receive 1 set of long flannel underwear, 1 jacket, and 1 blanket. IF THEY LOSE OR HAVE STOLEN ANY OF THE ABOVE PROPERTY THEY CANNOT AND WILL NOT BE GIVEN ANY MORE PROPERTY. They are given 2 minutes to dress and are then lined up to receive a haircut. I would suggest that inmates receive a haircut at the county jail where they hair is almost shaved, if not they will get a gapped up haircut from old, filthy clippers. The heads are shaved. They will then be finger printed, have a photo taken for the MDOC Inmate ID card. They will be served lunch in a holding cell where they will stay until everyone is processed and MDOC officals assign housing units. Once they are taken to a housing unit, the head officers over that building will Search all inmate property, they will be assigned to a zone and rack #, and will be issued a mattress, pillows are rarely available. They will be housed in a zone with 125 other inmates, 4 toilets. 4 urinals, 4 sinks, and 12 shower heads. EVERYTHING is open and there is NO privacy at ALL. They are going to be sleeping on either a top or bottom rack, there are two slid out drawers on the bottom where they can store property etc. however no locking devices allowed at CMCF R&C so anything in there they must watch or tie closed. There will be 1 Television on each zone which is allowed on at all times except for count and rack down. While at R&C they will be given a sheet to fill out for there phone list, 10 numbers are only allowed. This takes anywhere from 2-3 weeks to be activated. Inmates are allowed calls on Saturday and Sunday, the calls are for 15 minutes and cost around $6.00 per call. There are only 5 phones on each zone, but can call multiple times if noone else is waiting to use the phones. They will be allowed to go outside on “Yard Call” when time and weather permits, this will last anywhere from 30 -60 minutes. Both zones are let out for Yard Calls, so it is a total of 250+ inmates. Wake Up call is every morning at 5:30 am, inmates are to get up and dressed, make there racks(beds), they may lay back down, but cannot cover up. Breakfast is served between 6 – 7 am, inmates have 5 minutes to eat. Lunch and Dinner are the same way. Any mail that they want to send out to familys can be taken at this time to the dining room, there is an outgoing mailbox posted outside of the dining hall. Mail Call is everyday but Saturday and Sunday during the PM hours, No books, tapes, stamps, extra sheets of paper, poloroid pictures, money, allowed in mail. Canteen is done every two weeks, and they can order $40.00 worth of items. Little Debbie Snacks, Drinks, paper, stamps, shower shoes, hygiene products, chips etc. are able to be ordered. NO smoking anytime period at CMCF R&C, if anyone is caught smoking it is an RVR and permenant mark on there record.

2. Physical Examination

Medical staff examines each inmate, they are given a blood test, TB test, and given a complete physical, a doctor will see each inmate. If they have anytype of medical condition, then this needs to be previously documented. 99% of inmates are given a Medical Level of 1:

Medical Class One – The offender is able to work in any job which he is assigned.

Medical Class Two – The offender may do light outdoor work to include light lifting (10-15 pounds), some construction work, etc. Offenders in this class are unable to perform logging, heavy lifting, and/or strenuous fieldwork.

Medical Class Three- The offender may do any type of indoor work to include cleaning, lifting, etc. The offender can not have direct exposure to sunlight.

Medical Class Four – The offender may do light infoor work to include electrical or other deskwork, etc.

Medical Class Five – The offender is medically ubable to work. The offender must have a signed authorization to work.

After the Physical all inmates are sent to an HIV/AIDS class.

3. Psychological Evaluation

All inmates are given personality test, intelligence test, educational test, psych test. They will meet with a psychiatrist who will interview them to see if any need of psych attention.

4. Classification Process

During this process all relevant information concerning the offenders is evaluated and this is used to assign a Custody Status. Inmates take no part in this process except for requestion what type of work program they are interested in. 9-10 times they are put into field work for 6 months and after this they are given a program spot.

Classification Criteria

Age, Nature of offense, Type of crime committed, prior and current conduct, sentence data, prior criminal history and NCIC, Personal and social factors, escape history, detainers, Red Tag (separate and caution measures), Disciplinary actions, Evaluations and recommendations, security requirements, education, resident stability, employment experience, Youth court and juvenile history, Gang involvement (any at all and they are placed in lockdown).

Programs:
If they request a certain program it is NO gurantee they will go to that facilty.
MSP – Agri-Business, Auto Mechanics, Auto Body Repair, Carpentry, Diesel Mechanics, Industrial Electricity, Industrial Food Workers, Machine Shop, Masonary & Tile Setter, Plumbing and Pipefitting, Sheet metal, welding, Communications Systems installer, Heating and air conditioning & refrigeration, Out Board Mechanic.

CMCF – WOMEN ONLY – Administrative Assitant / Secretary, Cosmetology, Clothing Apparel & Textile workers, Upholestry.

SMCI –Auto body repair, Industrial Electricity, Plumbing and Pipefitting, Vehicle and Mobile Equipment Repair, welding.

It is not a fact but most inmates south of Jackson and I20, go to SMCI, North of I20 goes to MSP.

While a classification the inmate will find out what they are classified as:

A Custody – MOA and MORA – Green and White pants

B Custody – MOB and MORB – Black and White pants

C Custody – All yellow

D Custody – Red and White pants

Death – ALL RED

CP - county prisoner all Orange

Before being transferred all inmates classified as A or B custody will have a urine drug test.

Inmates WILL NOT know where they are being sent to until the morning they are called to pack there rack. They will be taken out to the hall with there property, and told to line up in either MSP, or SMCI line, and then they get breakfast are taken to R&C, shackled and led to the bus to go.

:angry: *** WARNING***:angry:

SAFETY SYSTEM – Set up a safety word, or code word for them to use if there is a problem, such as, “When are you leaving for your trip to Mexico”, if they tell you this then you know that they are in danger a cannot get to a guard for help. In this case call the superintendent, warden , and watch commander, give them the MDOC #, name, and unit number. They will lock down they unit and call them out to go into Protective Custody, PC is better than death. I would also have a password set up, sometimes they go into lock down or they get sent to lock down without a opportunity to call you, in this case they can get another trusty to call you for them using your loved ones MDOC#. Example, the password is Faybeth,, “James asked me to call you and tell you he is in Lockdown, and fayebeth is the password” ALWAYS CHANGE IT IF IT WAS GIVEN TO SOMEONE. ALSO NEVER EVER EVER Send money to anyone claiming to be calling for them. Someone will say if you send money to my account I will but such and such for them and take it to them. THIS NEVER WORKS. Always get the person callings name. You get the idea.

SCAM - some inmates steal others phone list from them and will call there family saying that they are going to be killed etc. unless you send them money, if you receive a call from anyone or get mail from anyone like this then contact MDOC.

TELL THEM to beware of spiders, they are numerous at CMCF, I personally got bitten on the neck by a brown recluse.

GANGS - Gangs are a huge problem in the MDOC system, the most popular are Gangsters, Vice Lords, ( black men are only in those two) then there are two other ones That I cannot remember the name that are white members only. Gangsters and one of the white ones stick together and the other two stick together, anyone not with them or with the other are enemys. They try to recruit new members at CMCF and when they first go into a new state facility, most require that you Tattoo a gang symbol on your body. ANYONE, that has anytype of gang tattoo will be placed into Segregated Lock Down, they have a specific unit used only for gang member lock downs. And they are locked down for years and sometimes the remainder of the sentence.

EXTORTION- Some of the gangs will try to extort you for money with the promise of protection, this doesn’t work and all they will do is stab you before the otherone does.

SICK CALLS

Any Illness or sickness that the inmate has will only be handled after they fill out a Sick Call sheet, this is a sheet where they list what is wrong, if the staff feals that it is serious or needs medical attention then they will be called later in the week to go to Medical Unit. Only in life threatening situations will a inmate be taken before that step to the Medical Unit.

Writing home at CMCF
Before they can get canteen which is around 2 weeks from arrival this will help:
In order to write home, all inmates will be given a chance during the first week to go on a Helicopter Ride(not really a real one), this is a program that the chaplain does, where he gets you to look at your life, by going on a helicopter ride of your life, afterwards you receive a certificate for this, a pen, pad of paper, and prestamped envelopes. I stayed at CMCF for close to one month, some stay 2 -5. It all changes and varies.

The guards at CMCF in my opinion are very rude and power hungry, most of them are new graduates from the police academy or guard training program. If the inmate does as he is told never talks back, or ask to many questions. Follows all orders, stays on his rack, then they will have no problem. Some guards want shoes turned facing a certain way when you aren’t wearing them, some don’t want anything outside of your personal drawer. They can and will throw away the property if they want to. They need to look at this experience like military boot camp, once they complete the 4 weeks they are gone, parchman may not be a better place, but I like it a lot better than I did CMCF, officers are nicer and a lot more laid back, plus you have more privledges and can receive family visits.

Family Rehabilitation Apartments:
For inmates at MSP and family, you must be RVR free for 1 year,A custody for 6 months. You stay in a apartment for 3 days or 1 week, your family can bring food from home, games, go fishing etc. Only Immeadiate family allowed, cost is around $10-$20 per night. They are nitpicky about what you can bring but it is worth it.

I hope that this will help all of you, I do not mean to scare you, but I am not going to sugar coat it. This is a critical time for you and them. If I can help any of you, or if you didn’t understand something I wrote, then please PM me.

Helpful Links and Addresses:

MDOC Website

http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/

Family Link and Need to Know

Click on MDOC Inmate Information, then Inmate Family Information

At this site you can Locate an inmate, get all information on sending funds, medical concerns, as well as download the Inmate Handbook which is really useful because you can see what they see.

INMATE SEARCH

http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/

then click on Inmate search, sometimes only typing in the last name helps, because they will misspell names etc. Here you can see what unit they are in, release date, and crime information.

PTO-29412
07-01-2005, 04:14 PM
*****PLEASE TAKE NOTE*******

The superintendent at CMCF is now: Margaret Bingham
mbingham@mdoc.state.ms.us

highlyfavor
07-21-2009, 03:23 PM
thanks for the truth. my husband is their thank u

lilcountrynhog
03-13-2010, 10:25 PM
:eek: I am glad that this was around. I now can get the general idea of what kind of process is going on. I have gotten a call this morning from my husband. He went to Rankin on Thursday and he called Saturday. I am really ready for him to be home. I think I am losing my mind wondering about him in there more than he is, as this is his second time being there but years ago. We have five small children and I knew nothing about the process so to tell them I could not. Now I have some things to tell them of course not all that I learned. Thanks so much for the in site.:p

CSamuels45
07-06-2011, 04:01 PM
My daughter is in there for the last several months. However, she is in MAX for some reason or another.. Can she have visitors or can she call home... I am from Birmingham and it has been difficult too visit can I get a special visit with my daughter? I just do not know what is going on sometimes... Her name is Nicholette Duzant # 158295.

CSamuels45
07-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Do anyone in here live in Jackson,MS? I have not seen my daughter since last Feburary because my car has been broken down and the only way their is greyhound bus to Jackson. I need a ride too Pearl,MS because you cannot get in if you are not in a car...

blkstorm
08-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Do anyone in here live in Jackson,MS? I have not seen my daughter since last Feburary because my car has been broken down and the only way their is greyhound bus to Jackson. I need a ride too Pearl,MS because you cannot get in if you are not in a car...

Hi
I live in Jackson and my husband was just transfered to CMCF. I am not able to visit yet, since he just went in yesterday. I imagine when I am able to visit, it will be in the afternoons and we stay the whole time. I don't mind bringing you along but I do have 2 kids that will also come. Maybe by that time we can get more familar with each other and see how it works out

Taywifey
11-20-2011, 05:43 AM
My husband have been in prison for 7 years now at MDOC in parchman and was approved for the interstate compact in september of this year and he had a court date after that to go to so they send him to court but they delayed his court date at the last minute and in the mean time kept him at Rankin County Jail for almost a month and then send him to CMCF. I thought CMCF was for new inmates only?

LordHelp
11-20-2011, 03:22 PM
My husband have been in prison for 7 years now at MDOC in parchman and was approved for the interstate compact in september of this year and he had a court date after that to go to so they send him to court but they delayed his court date at the last minute and in the mean time kept him at Rankin County Jail for almost a month and then send him to CMCF. I thought CMCF was for new inmates only?

Taywifey,
CMCF is for much more than just new inmates. It houses both men and women, plus a medical unit. Not sure of the particular reason for your husband, but sometimes the placement logic is inscrutable.

Amy213
03-16-2012, 12:03 PM
My fiance got transfered there & I still havent heard from him! Ive been extremely stressed out & I saw his picture on the mdoc websight & it looks like he got jumped on. Do new inmates get jumped on alot?

Sent from Amy213
using PrisonTalk

Pamela hartley
05-24-2012, 11:21 PM
My son arrived at Rankin on May 16th and they say he will be there until June 16. Why are they so so so slow?

Pamela hartley
06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
So ready for my son to be moved to SMCF from Rankin. He tonight that he only has one t-shirt left. Someone gets them while he is in the shower. He said that he would not order any more canteen because he is tired of fighting for it. I am so worried and hate that he has to be there. He does not belong there. I am so glad the officer that aressted him got fired.I hope his a.c. blows up so he can burn up like my son is. He got wrote up today for sleeping without his jumpsuite. He said it was so hot he could not stand to wear it. Please pray that they move him this week to SMCF. I hope that it is a little better there for him. I am going crazy and can not function at all.

pameladainswort
08-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Can someone please tell me what phone company does CMC use?
How long does it take after they get to CMC for classification before they get to use the phone?

Amy213
08-03-2012, 05:43 AM
Can someone please tell me what phone company does CMC use?
How long does it take after they get to CMC for classification before they get to use the phone?

I believe its global tell link. It took about 3 weeks for him to call an he could only call on Saturdays.

pameladainswort
08-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Amy,
Can you please tell me exactly what we can and can't send via mail? Such as how many pages can you send, how many of those pages can be printed off the internet, can you print a picture on regular paper and send it?
Thank you so much Amy.:)

I believe its global tell link. It took about 3 weeks for him to call an he could only call on Saturdays.

Amy213
08-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Amy,
Can you please tell me exactly what we can and can't send via mail? Such as how many pages can you send, how many of those pages can be printed off the internet, can you print a picture on regular paper and send it?
Thank you so much Amy.:)

Not sure if there is a limit on pages you can send. My letters was never over 2 or 3 pages. I know you can't send paper,stamps or envelopes.Check out the mdoc website an look for Rankin Co & maybe you'll get some more insight on exactly whats goin on & what you can & can't send. Good luck to you! Hope I helped ya out a lil!

bdwell
08-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Just a note for those coming after, and this is our situation so yours may be different. D got moved on a wednesday and was able to call on that saturday. He will be there two weeks next wednesday and is almost completely done processing, only waiting on second tb test. He did say that he may still have to stay until a bed becomes available, or other people need to go because they don't like to take just one or two. Not to scare anyone but he is also concerned and a little freaked out he said the put up a sheet and fight everyday, he has seen more blood in a week and a half than he can ever remember. Hopefully he moves soon.

pameladainswort
08-05-2012, 10:53 PM
To bdwell
They put up a sheet?
What unit is this?

pameladainswort
08-07-2012, 02:33 PM

Amy,
Is it only Saturdays for everyone?
My fiance tried to call me on Sunday but I didn't have my account set up yet.
My heart is broken! I hope I'm not going to have to wait till Sunday before he can call again.

Amy213
08-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Amy,
Is it only Saturdays for everyone?
My fiance tried to call me on Sunday but I didn't have my account set up yet.
My heart is broken! I hope I'm not going to have to wait till Sunday before he can call again.
Im sure different units have different days. Sorry you missed his call :(

pameladainswort
08-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Im sure different units have different days. Sorry you missed his call :(

Ok thank you Amy.

pameladainswort
09-05-2012, 08:43 PM
My fiance is now in George County Regional Correctional Facility in Lucedale Ms.
and I may get to go for my first visit 8/15/12 I can't wait!
Just waiting for them to approve my application to see him.

kryseanwife
10-13-2012, 10:06 PM
My fiance has been in there a week next Tuesday and he was able to call this weekend. So it took less than a week for him to call me. He's been jumped twice already in the first week. The first was by about 12 guys and the second was about 6 times. Both times he had to go to the medical unit asap. This was all because he told them he wasn't going to be in a gang. While we were on the phone tonight, some guy said he was going to fight him because I wouldn't do a 3 way phone call. Also, he was told that a gang fight was about to happen and that he had to face the wall and if he turned around they would jump him again. I have no idea what gangs these are, but apparently the guards don't enforce any rules and they turn their badges around so the inmates can't report them. I am terrified for him, I haven't been able to sleep at all since he got put in there, and talking to him today wasn't very reassuring at all.

LordHelp
10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
My fiance has been in there a week next Tuesday and he was able to call this weekend. So it took less than a week for him to call me. He's been jumped twice already in the first week. The first was by about 12 guys and the second was about 6 times. Both times he had to go to the medical unit asap. This was all because he told them he wasn't going to be in a gang. While we were on the phone tonight, some guy said he was going to fight him because I wouldn't do a 3 way phone call. Also, he was told that a gang fight was about to happen and that he had to face the wall and if he turned around they would jump him again. I have no idea what gangs these are, but apparently the guards don't enforce any rules and they turn their badges around so the inmates can't report them. I am terrified for him, I haven't been able to sleep at all since he got put in there, and talking to him today wasn't very reassuring at all.

krsyeanwife,
I'm SO sorry to hear about your loved one (LO) and his situation. That has to be scary for you and certainly for him.

I know you must be feeling a great sense of helplessness, hearing about the gang activity and their abuses. I do hope your fiance can maintain a stand that he won't give in to their bullying and that they will let him be eventually.

You have to be strong for your LO! Be there for him and encourage him as much as you can.

Be sure to come on here often. I know I found encouragement from PrisonTalkOnline.

tddbjd82
04-21-2013, 05:54 AM
I'm confused the first message says all gang members are out on lockdown yet everyone talks of gang fights so which one is true?

faithandhope13
04-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Does anyone no if you have to set up your phone a certain way to receive calls from Rankin County? I have long distance on my hone phone but I haven't heard from him since he's been there. Also is there a way he can call cellphones?

WillzGirl2012
04-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Is this serious? That is scary. I hope they have got some that mess under control now

queenc
02-23-2014, 04:02 AM
My man was transfered to cmcf on Friday from another satellite. He was granted parole on 2/12/14. He completed long tetm a&d in 2010 but is being forced to take it again before his release. When I called the prison he was housed at they told me that he was only being transfered to cmcf to "move furniture" but would be back. He is being housed at Madison SF. Can someone help me with any info if this is protocol for MDOC or if this sounds familiar. Will he be able to call me?