View Full Version : Why do prisoners get transferred?

angelwithwings
12-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi gang,:) Im curious as to why some prisoners get transferred,i realise that some have to move due to questionable behaviour,but surely the expense must be huge!,i get the impression that some are moved for no particular reason,is this correct?

Angel

MiaBellaAngela
12-21-2004, 04:55 PM
They are moved because of:

1. overcrowding
2. threat to the institution
3. threat to the inmate
4. "swaps" with other prisons and states (we'll take your guy if you take 3 of ours)

There are probably other reasons but I do not know what they are.

Retired-10
12-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Ahhh...transferring. One of my penpals just got transferred. They started out at one unit, took him to another, took him to a third, then moved him to a fourth all within 2 1/2 days. He was moved to a pre-release unit since he's going to be paroling in 2005. Hooray! :)

danielle
12-21-2004, 05:23 PM
My husband was moved twice while he was in prison because his custody level was lowered.

He went from maximum security to minimum security to work release. Transfers aren't always a bad thing! :)

mrsdragoness
12-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Occasionally they will transfer an inmate closer to home or to a more appropriate prison to handle any special needs he has.

Retired-101
12-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Interesting question, there are a lot of characteristics for that, some being more political than others. I was "shipped" or "transferred about 5 times. The first was purely because of custody change. When you go from any custody level to another, you have to change the living quarters you live on. For example, if you are moved from medium to minimum, you cannot stay on the same camp. Mind you, being transferred does not always mean leaving the camp. Some camps hold multiple custody levels, so they might just kinda bump you to the next level, which may still be on the same camp.

But there are other reasons to transfer inmates. In most cases inmates are allowed to put in for a request for transfer as soon as they get to the camp they are sent to. In NC, for example, under most circumstances inmates have to wait 6 months before they can fill out a transfer request; some camps allow it sooner. However, any transfers will be based on bed space first, and the inmate population. Most prisons "shuffle" around anyway, which is why for example NC prisons transfer on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

But why do that do that? Well, others have already explained why, but the main reason is to accomodate inmates trying to get closer to home. Keep in mind most inmates put in for requests anyway, so there is a large logjam of inmates wanting out of the prison they are in. Yet others are shipped as a swap...I was an example of that, although what it is REALLY called is retaliation, which is illegal. Tyrrell Prison Work Farm in Columbia, NC did that to me. But those are a small percentage. Still, there is another reason. I think I heard an officer tell me that another reason they ship often is to keep inmates from being too complacent. The way some prisons see it, if an inmate is at a camp too long, and isn't really doing anything (no job, not earnig gaintime, ect), they feel that he will get too complacent and start trouble. So they ship some inmates from time to time to kinda "mix things up". However, most of the inmates are shipped because they put in for a transfer. There may be other reasons, but I think the two main ones are inmates requesting transfers and inmates making lower custody levels. Mind you, that does NOT mean they are going to the camp of their choice. Many inmates get frustrated when they put in a request to go to one camp, and end up at another, sometimes further out of the way.

jat76009
01-26-2005, 02:00 PM
I learned a new one yesterday....if they are in a private run facility and refuse to attend a vocational course (even tho the state doesn't required them to attend for any reason) the private facility can demand that they be moved out....after all they are losing the money paid to them for having inmates attend classes!

MsVicki
01-26-2005, 09:56 PM
jat76009.......but the prisoner's have to pay for the classes themselves in the federal private facility I know about.

joenash4lyf
01-27-2005, 08:54 AM
As far as I know from experience, it's because they either get in trouble, overcrowding, to finnish or start a program only offreed at a certain facility(ex:drug programs, anger mangement, a class ect) If they are a min security, to max or oppiste.I hope this helps.God Bless

jat76009
01-27-2005, 09:10 AM
MsVicki -
I don't know about the federal prisons at all - my son isn't in federal. He won't have to pay for his vocational training - but the stupid thing is he was put in an electrical training class and because of his offense he will never be able to work as an electrician in this state - they are required to be licensed here but he won't be able to get a license. The education officer at his unit says he has to attend so he "will be able to get gainful employment upon his release" but she has yet to meet with him so he can show her the list of offenses that prohibit a person from obtaining a license. So if he refuses to attend he is at a very high risk of being transferred to another unit even though TDCJ does NOT require him to attend!

mrsford
01-27-2005, 09:50 AM
My husband was reviewed in November 2004 and was dropped to a minimum level. Since the prison he is in is not a minimum level, he was supposed to be moved. Here we are going on February, he is still at the same prison and his counselor told him last week he was due for an annual review. He told her "ok" but asked why it was being done again since it has only been about 3 months since the last one. She acted confused, asked if he had any paperwork approving him for the transfer, when he brought it to her, she informed him they had to put in for a transfer again, then informed him if anything happened to him while he was in the current prison, he could sue the state because of the change in his level and the prison was not a level 1 facility! He just wants to be moved, and get closer to home! The kicker of the whole thing is, there is a man in the system with the same name as my husband's, and he was moved to the facility my husband put a request in for around the time this first started. The DOC informed me they only go by numbers, not names, and there could not be a mistake on their part. Now, the other person is a Level 3 prisoner, and the facility he is in now is a Level 1 facility!!! Tell me there was not a mixup! Sorry about the venting, I get on a tangent when I speak about this. I am sooooo aggravated.

KatLady678
11-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Interesting question, there are a lot of characteristics for that, some being more political than others. I was "shipped" or "transferred about 5 times. The first was purely because of custody change. When you go from any custody level to another, you have to change the living quarters you live on. For example, if you are moved from medium to minimum, you cannot stay on the same camp. Mind you, being transferred does not always mean leaving the camp. Some camps hold multiple custody levels, so they might just kinda bump you to the next level, which may still be on the same camp.

But there are other reasons to transfer inmates. In most cases inmates are allowed to put in for a request for transfer as soon as they get to the camp they are sent to. In NC, for example, under most circumstances inmates have to wait 6 months before they can fill out a transfer request; some camps allow it sooner. However, any transfers will be based on bed space first, and the inmate population. Most prisons "shuffle" around anyway, which is why for example NC prisons transfer on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

But why do that do that? Well, others have already explained why, but the main reason is to accomodate inmates trying to get closer to home. Keep in mind most inmates put in for requests anyway, so there is a large logjam of inmates wanting out of the prison they are in. Yet others are shipped as a swap...I was an example of that, although what it is REALLY called is retaliation, which is illegal. Tyrrell Prison Work Farm in Columbia, NC did that to me. But those are a small percentage. Still, there is another reason. I think I heard an officer tell me that another reason they ship often is to keep inmates from being too complacent. The way some prisons see it, if an inmate is at a camp too long, and isn't really doing anything (no job, not earnig gaintime, ect), they feel that he will get too complacent and start trouble. So they ship some inmates from time to time to kinda "mix things up". However, most of the inmates are shipped because they put in for a transfer. There may be other reasons, but I think the two main ones are inmates requesting transfers and inmates making lower custody levels. Mind you, that does NOT mean they are going to the camp of their choice. Many inmates get frustrated when they put in a request to go to one camp, and end up at another, sometimes further out of the way.

I do know they transfer inmates as a result of retaliation and not always because of the inmate. I worked at a facility and was arrested but I prefer not to say why because someone from the facility may be reading this. I won my case in court. The warden at the prison where I worked was angry about that and attempted to get my fiance transferred to that prison knowing he would not allow me to visit him. When that didn't work, they transferred him as far away from home as possible. So, yes, it is done as a retaliation and sometimes to the family. You say it is illegal but I have no proof of this so there is nothing I can do.

PinkAster
11-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Retaliation. Ive read about inmates getting transferred for criticizing the prison indudtrial complex. That was federal.

Also...

Good behavior- 2 of my pen pals were transferred to min security. Theres a big difference-they can call most anyone, go out into the community (one of them fought forest fires), see classic cars, etc. :D

bad behavior and catching major charges while incarcerated. :(

By request eg to be closer to kids and family

crazylove25
11-20-2014, 10:34 PM
My bf was in a cali prison and was transferred, it had nothing to do with his behavior or anything. For one Cali prisons are over crowded. Right now there are 3 out of state prisons for California inmates, one in Mississippi, Arizona, and Oklahoma, but they only house California inmates, my man was transferred to Mississippi.