View Full Version : "Program for the Incarcerated" -- Correspondence College Classes

Thumper
01-03-2005, 08:36 PM
My husband, an inmate in a NYS prison, is currently enrolled in Ohio University's Program for the Incarcerated, a college level correspondence program. While the program does cost money, and there is no financial aid (at least not for NY inmates), the fees are reasonable; comparable to most Community Colleges, and include all books, supplies, and postage. So far my husband has had a positive experience with this program, and is working towards his degree (they offer degrees at both the Associates and Bachelors level.) The exams do have to be proctored though, so the inmate must be at a prison that will do this.

Here's the link to the website for more information>>> http://www.ohiou.edu/adultlearning/incarc.htm

skychickFL
06-30-2005, 02:36 PM
You might also want to check out Thomas Edison State College. They have very reasonable rates as well.

mleachman
08-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the information. My son has been incarcerated for some time and will be sentenced soon. The length of time he is looking at is significant and since he wanted to go to college when he got out, I told him I would find one that he could start right away. Thanks so much for sharing this information, I went to the website and contacted them, they were very friendly and helpful.

Tress
09-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Ashworth College is another distance learning facility. And the courses fees are reasonable for incarcerated persons, $28 dollars per course, and tuition is around 600-650 per semester.

rubydoodle
09-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Does your state offer study release at any time to the inmates? My son is in minimum custody in North Carolina and is on study release. He gets to walk out of the prison each morning and walk to a community college campus for classes. He pays no tuition, but we do have to buy his textbooks. There are not many slots for study release in the whole state, but he is one of the fortunate ones.

Katya
09-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Indiana university also has correspondence associate's and bachelor's programs. My son has had good look working with them.

jenn26
09-27-2005, 11:59 AM
With these classes can they be trying to get there GED and take these classes? Or must they have GED first? Really would like to know! Thanks Jenn

tobydawg
09-30-2005, 01:14 PM
My b/f has just recently started going for his Associates in Science degree in human studies and family development from Penn State World Campus. He currently has a 3.85 gpa., and hopes to continue on after this to obtain dual bachlor degrees in this same field. This course doesn't require a computer. Eventually he wants to open his own gym. He has already obtained 6 different fitness certifications from International Fitness Perfessional Association, including being a master personal trainer and is an ACE (Americian Council of Exercise) certified instructor. He has been put in charge of teaching courses in fitness to inmates like himself and has been put in charge of organizing the health fair every year thats held at the prison. My b/f was all excited when he got accepted to penn state and sent me a copy of his student ID and his Penn state email address....(eventhough he can't get email) ....but I check it for him and let him know if he does get any email. :)

Katya
10-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Jenn,

Indiana University also has a high school correspondence program.

JohnsHeart
01-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Blackstone career institute has a great paralegal program :)

Jade01
01-09-2006, 05:24 PM
My husband, an inmate in a NYS prison, is currently enrolled in Ohio University's Program for the Incarcerated, a college level correspondence program. While the program does cost money, and there is no financial aid (at least not for NY inmates), the fees are reasonable; comparable to most Community Colleges, and include all books, supplies, and postage. So far my husband has had a positive experience with this program, and is working towards his degree (they offer degrees at both the Associates and Bachelors level.) The exams do have to be proctored though, so the inmate must be at a prison that will do this.

Here's the link to the website for more information>>> http://www.ohiou.edu/adultlearning/incarc.htm

My fiance also takes correspondence courses through this program, and I definitely recommend it.

Ronnie
01-17-2006, 04:45 AM
My husband is taking the paralegal course now at Blackstone. I paid the tuition for him which was about $55 a month. Everything was done through the mail. It seems to be an excellent program. Here is a link to their website if anyone is interested. http://www.blackstonelaw.com/

Blackstone career institute has a great paralegal program :)

ladynblack
01-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Does anyone know any information about college or vacational school for prisoners in California?
My brother will like to take a course for Culinary.

Thanks

Suzy25
01-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Hello! My husband is FDC Philadelphia, does anybody knows if is a college courses or correspondence courses in Philadelphia Pennsylvania my husband is intererested in architecture/drafting, law, computer science/programming, business management
thank you
Susana

tann481
02-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Does anyone have any information about correspondence courses in Texas? My son has an associates degree and would like to get his bachelors. Thanks.

Katya
02-10-2006, 02:01 AM
You can be anywhere and take correspondence courses like those from Indiana University or Ohio University. Just be sure someone at the prison will proctor the exams.

dalya38
02-15-2006, 07:57 PM
:) I am also looking for information in California, does anyone have any info.. thanks

Hope2BaRn
02-20-2006, 12:29 AM
I know that where my brother is in California they stopped offering college corses because some IDIOTS were cheating while taking tests even though the proctor was sitting there the whole time. It realy sucks because he was doing so good and was so interested in it.
Oh and my other brother was taking classes from Ohio years ago and when he got out he went to are local community college and they said they would not accept the classes he took threw Ohio so he had to repeat those same classes :(

new2this
04-28-2006, 12:59 PM
does anyone know of classes someone can take in texas?

swampy
05-01-2006, 05:45 AM
The College HBI- Hope Bible Institute is absolutely free except for minimal postage for the inmate-student although they need a GED or High School Dipoma to qualify. E-Mail me at swampy@netlink.net or write snail
at NewLife-Hope Prison Ministry 119 Downing Drive 102-Y Chardon, Oh
44024-1046 Attn: Deac. Thomas Teare with a COPY of your GED or
HSD.....This College is prestigious and accredited as we are already in
Maryland, Louisiana, California, Kansas, Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon, and
Alaska, with possibly more coming on board-please spread the WORD!!
your servant in Christ,
deac. T. Teare:thumbsup:

05-15-2006, 11:10 AM
I know that where my brother is in California they stopped offering college corses because some IDIOTS were cheating while taking tests even though the proctor was sitting there the whole time. It realy sucks because he was doing so good and was so interested in it.
Oh and my other brother was taking classes from Ohio years ago and when he got out he went to are local community college and they said they would not accept the classes he took threw Ohio so he had to repeat those same classes :(

Yeah I would say make sure it's an accredited college before you take the classes, I'm concerned that with a lot of correspondence courses they won't be accredited and therefore will not be accepted by other colleges. Kind of defeats the purpose of taking them...

JustB
09-11-2006, 09:50 AM
It was mentioned that the prison has to be willing?

What part does the prison take in this?? What if they are transferred during the course??

sociologist
09-11-2006, 06:45 PM
My son is incarcerated in Louisiana and he did take college courses through correspondence from LSU. Ww had to pay for the class and his books (he had to get approval for the book because it was a hardcover). the only thing he had to do regarding permssion was get the teacher of the GED classes to proctor his exams. It went very smoothly and he got an A in the course!

What I would recommend is find a state college that offers correspondence courses (most bigger colleges do). Then have your loved one find out about who would act as the proctor for their tests. Even if there isn't a "teacher" on site, a guard or other prison personnel can probably serve in that capacity. Good luck!

Waiting4Hubby
11-02-2006, 09:22 PM
The prison has to OK the protored exams. That is what happened with my husband

Thumper
11-23-2006, 07:08 PM

I don't know why your brother had the problem he did :confused: , because Ohio University is an accredited school. In fact they even partnership with community colleges, etc (there is a section on their website that it explains this.) Perhaps the classes your brother took were non-credit classes? I have already had my husband's transcript evaluated by our state college (as he will be released soon) and there were no problems forseen.

uncc23
11-24-2006, 06:42 PM
anyone know of any accredited MBA programs that serve prisoners?

pmitch10
11-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Thank you Swampy for that information. It really helps to read through some of posts written here as a wealth of information is made available. All one has to do is ask.

Waiting4Hubby
12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Ashworth had both AA and masters degrees. I would look into them. I can tell you that we love them.

Pnellwife3
12-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Are there any correspondence schools in the PA area? My husband has his GED but wants his Associate's he was taking classes at CCAC in pittsburgh any help?

~blue's wifey~
10-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know of any colleges in Florida that do correspondence courses through the mail?

Sheryl P.
10-24-2011, 01:35 PM
The College HBI- Hope Bible Institute is absolutely free except for minimal postage for the inmate-student although they need a GED or High School Dipoma to qualify. E-Mail me at swampy@netlink.net or write snail
at NewLife-Hope Prison Ministry 119 Downing Drive 102-Y Chardon, Oh
44024-1046 Attn: Deac. Thomas Teare with a COPY of your GED or
HSD.....This College is prestigious and accredited as we are already in
Maryland, Louisiana, California, Kansas, Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon, and
Alaska, with possibly more coming on board-please spread the WORD!!
your servant in Christ,
deac. T. Teare:thumbsup:

Ant chance of a shu inmate taking classes?

Momma Ann
10-24-2011, 01:39 PM
my son got his Associates degree at Ohio University while inside. EVERY COURSe/Every credit transferred when he applied to his 4 year university. I know that is NOT the case in mnay other programs. So beware, depending on what your goals are.

26thncaliswag
10-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Similar to universities and JUCO's outside of the system, not all classes transfer over. If you went to a JUCO and Math 096, it could count towards your AA. But, if you transfered to a 4 year university, even with the AA, you may not be able to enroll with a junior classification because that school may not have an equivalent to Math 096 on their curriculum and therefore, they'd be unable to give college credit for that particular course.

Most universities work hand in hand with the JUCO in their area. In Chicago, if you get your AA from any city college of Chicago school, it's pretty much a guarantee that your college courses will all carry over.

I would focus on getting my degree from a well known university or take up a field of study that would require common courses that most universities would accept if I was going for my AA. Just my two cents.

MissingMyDaniel
10-27-2011, 12:37 AM
I just sent a packet from Ohio University to a Correctional Center in WV. With prison reform a hot topic, lets hope that more community organizations request assistance with grants toward offender to come in and help with the cost of a higher education for current offenders.

MissMyBoy22
12-08-2011, 05:28 AM
ANY info on schooling in Indiana prisons? looking for community colleges or any, does anyone know? I appreciate any info, and your time. thanks!

RyToddMom
04-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know if Middleton Transfer Unit in Abilene Texas allow inmates to take online courses? Is there someone ther to proctor their exams?
Thank you!